[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Acknowledging Space in Traditional Fantasy

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

File: splanets-6.jpg (823KB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
splanets-6.jpg
823KB, 2560x1440px
How do you guys feel about it? When does it have it's place and when should it not? I think of WoW but it didn't seem to acknowledge space itself much, just the existence of other planets. I vaguely recall there being a playable race of spacefarers but that's about it
>>
I'm trying to figure this out too, but I imagine the method would be similar to how you instill other dimensions and planes of existance.

In the case of Warcraft, the focus was on those other worlds, and not on the space between them.

In D&D, that "Space" is the Astral Plane, seen as the space between the planes.

Perhaps something like that? A great void that stands between other worlds?
>>
Spelljammer comes to mind. One of the best D&D settings of all time.
>>
File: allmap1.gif (33KB, 361x338px) Image search: [Google]
allmap1.gif
33KB, 361x338px
>>50302614
>In D&D, that "Space" is the Astral Plane, seen as the space between the planes.

No, wildspace and the phlogiston are outer space.
>>
>>50302048

Do it like dragonball.

Once all the major threats are dealt with on the planet, have space shit start showing up.
>>
>>50302614
It just occurred to me that giving it a different name is probably the most essential part of including space in a fantasy setting. "The Void" is perfect, and doubtlessly has been used before.
>>
>>50303150
>main character's previously-unknown brother appears out of nowhere
>think this is gonna have huge implications on the story and their relationship
>killed in two episodes

Toriyama is that GM.
>>
Personally, I'd love a space-themed fantasy game. Technology's still pre-gunpowder, but magic can let you travel to other worlds, and even other stellar systems, as well as survive in otherwise-impossible environments. For maximum exploration, these advances are all made by a dead civilization, so travel and survival requires retracing their steps rather than finding your local God-Wizard.
>>
>>50306085
>One PC starts outstripping all of the others.
>Given random powerups for little reason.
>Acts like a jackass and rarely if ever suffers for it.
>Comes back from the dead because lol he escaped.
>Makes almost the entire rest of the cast useless.

... And Goku is played by his girlfriend.
>>
>>50306139
Disturbingly plausible, considering he's voiced by a woman.
>>
>>50306139
>>50303150
please spoonfeed me, I haven't seen any DB in 15 years and I have no idea what you are referring to. I assume in the second one, the jackass is supposed to be Vegeta?
>>
>>50306493
Other Sayains appear from space like Goku's brother, various space related villains like Real Estate Dealer and Walorlord Frieza, there's time travel and shit

The jackass is Goku who keeps getting new fucking power ups and is a complete and utter shameless and irresponsible Mary Sue
>>
File: people of the stars.jpg (159KB, 500x656px) Image search: [Google]
people of the stars.jpg
159KB, 500x656px
I like it, but then again I play PF and we had a couple books dealing with space and other planets. Also an entire region in the PF setting involves an ancient crashed spaceship from another world and the tech it has up for grabs.

As to WoW, they were interdimensional travelers and not spacefarers.
>>
In a setting I'm working on I have a homebrew race of aliens who are the descendants of a crew from a wrecked space colony ship, virtually all of their space age technology has been lost or forgotten but they are naturally more intelligent than the other races, and any remnants of space technology are treated as holy relics
>>
>>50302048

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSt7SVHw-wE
>>
>>50302048
The Abyss Above, the Black Infinity, Yawning Gap, the Gulf of Worlds, the Nightsea

been there, done that.
>>
>>50302048
I'm a big fan of the Endless Legend-esque "Fantasy world is actually just a colony of a long collapsed starfaring empire, and magic is their pervasive and miraculous technology" type deal.
You can even have the empire resurge a bit, and try and re-take the fantasy world, so you can switch your campaign over to Science Fantasy X-COM any time you feel like it
>>
Pulps-era fantasy is often loose enough to merge seamlessly with scifi.

In fact I'd be a bit disappointed if a sword&sorcery setting didn't include a dereclict alien ship full of space squids with rayguns.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.