[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

40k for Poorfags

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: scrop.png (1MB, 686x890px) Image search: [Google]
scrop.png
1MB, 686x890px
As a preface, I'd like to say this is genuinely not a bait thread. I'd really like some help.

As someone who left the hobby at the start of 5th edition, coming back into 40k is a bit mental. Looking at prices at my local GW store almost gave me an aneurism, and since collecting good old "50-bucks-for-10" guardsmen (astra militarum??), I was pretty pissed off when I saw that Striking Scorpions were $80 for six little plastic men. I had intented to come back into the hobby by building up a fast, sneaky Eldar army based around these fantastic units (at least, fantastic back in 5th), but at that kind of price I had second thoughts.

My question is, what are the best alternatives to buying direct from GW in terms of price? I know some hobby stores in the States stock at discounted prices, but I've had a look around my parts (NZ) and I've had no such luck. Any obscure website or supplier that /tg/ knows about? I'd really appreciate it, cheers.
>>
>>50300621
EBay/secondhand is your best friend
>>
>>50300689

Unpainted and unassembled, though? Most secondhand listings are premade models.
>>
>>50300621
If you're going to make a fairly big order then buy from Dark Sphere and have it shipped to a mail forwarding service in the UK.
>>
you could play a different game for starters
>>
>>50300621
Buy secondhand, borrow, play small games.

Or, since 40k is both the most expensive and most shitty game on the market, play something better for cheaper.
>>
Build your list, iron it out. Mathhammer and theorise everything out, get the list reviewed and only then buy models.
500pts is a good level for pick up games, Start Collecting + a unit or two will get you there.
You're still looking at $200 after Codex, Rules and tools but after that it's a slow gradual build. Triplehelixwargames.co.uk sell at 25% but are UK based and won't ship heavy shit internationally
>>
>>50300711
>Unpainted and unassembled, though? Most secondhand listings are premade models.
Go for the old metal models for aspect warriors. Throw them in some acetone and give them a scrub and they're as good as new.
Really shitty looking models usually go for less. That's good for you though, because people that don't know how to hobby probably didn't even remove the mold lines or use proper primer. So those models are usually in pristine condition once you cleaned them.
Unless you got somebody who used enamel paints. Stay away from those models if you can, cause they are a bitch to clean.

As for cheap troops, that's really difficult for Eldar.
They're not in any of the starter kits.
If you are patient you can wait until a good offer pops up on ebay though. It's how I got an Ork megaforce for half the price once.

And lately GW has been doing a lot of bundles, 'starting faction' boxes and the like.
>>
>>50300621
40K is not a game for poor people.

Find someone getting out of the hobby and buy their shit.
>>
Do you want 40k specifically, or just wargames?

>Just Wargames
There are many great wargames that cost a fraction

>40k specifically
Either second hand and dealhunting OR 15mm 40k. Convert 15mm miniatures and get 4th and 3rd edition books and you get the cheapest and best 40k experience you can buy. 40k works loads better in 15mm.
Alternatively, play Epic. Better game, cheap miniatures and still 40k. Moreso than regular 40k in fact.
>>
>>50300621
Necrons.

I'm a poor unifag, and I picked up a 500 point army for $45 bucks on Ebay. Look for the pre-painted ones, especially the shitty paint jobs.
As unless they use fucking spray paint, it will be easy to strip and repaint them yourself.
>>
recasters?
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.