[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Game Bestiary

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: 1412549003750.gif (399KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
1412549003750.gif
399KB, 500x281px
Good morning /tg/. I'm working on my own homebrew system and the core rules - including all introductory, character creation, classes, player advice, GM advice, items and setting info - is about 70 6x9 pages.

What I want to know is, roughly how many NPCs/monsters should I include in the bestiary? Monster stat blocks are pretty simple, comparable to a PbtA game, so I can fit two or three per page. Most games include a couple hundred monsters, but that seems like a lot for such a small game.

Thematically the game is in the vein of JRPGs like Final Fantasy, Fire Emblem or Chrono Trigger.
>>
>>50300084
>Thematically the game is in the vein of JRPGs like Final Fantasy, Fire Emblem or Chrono Trigger.

Oh, then you just need 3 enemies, but each comes in 5 different colors
>>
>>50300095
Funny enough the stat blocks do follow the theme of "twists", so "soldier rifleman" and "soldier caster" are both twists on/adjustments to the standard soldier statblock.

This gets more interesting with fantastical monsters or magitek creations, where twists can be mixed and matched to create different combinations.
>>
I think it comes down to how easy it is to make and/or customize a monster, especially on the go. If everything is based off a few stats, you can get away with standard monster stat blocks thst can be changed with only a little bit of time (or even on the fly). If the system requires more number crunching, you might want to provide a large list.
If monster creation is simple, probably 10 to 25 of eqch monster type.
If more in depth and complex, probably 20 to 50 of each type.
>>
File: worm.jpg (252KB, 1280x496px) Image search: [Google]
worm.jpg
252KB, 1280x496px
just prepare couple charts and RNG everything
>>
>>50300084
>Good morning /tg/. I'm working on my own homebrew system and the core rules

I'd like to see the rules, please.

>What I want to know is, roughly how many NPCs/monsters should I include in the bestiary? Monster stat blocks are pretty simple, comparable to a PbtA game, so I can fit two or three per page. Most games include a couple hundred monsters, but that seems like a lot for such a small game.

I too, am a homebrewer, but my system is far more complex, yet I think the "Monster Manual" has barely 100 monsters to it.

It really depends on how many monsters you want to make, more is obviously better, but you need to make sure they're not >>50300095 said, a pallet swap. Make them do interesting things. Think outside the box, and don't be afraid to break some rules along the way.
>>
>>50300084
Depends on whether you are planning on selling it, and whether you make monster design philosophy apparent. If you wanna sell it, more monsters. If you give GMs tools to design encounters, less pregens are needed.
>>
>>50301580
>ALASKAN
>BULL
>WORM
>>
>>50300084
Stat blocks should be construction rules more than set stat blocks. The stat calculation sets based on levels, a standard attack, a special attack or two to make them seem unique, and then leave enough for anything a GM might come up with themselves. This lets you set the bar at base stats and adjust on the fly to fit your players with what you want. also fits in with the idea of the mobs from those games that helped inspired to do things like >>50300095 mentioned.
>>
>>50301599
>I too, am a homebrewer, but my system is far more complex
Why? That's not me insulting you - I want to know what you want to accomplish with your system.

Also, I'm not the guy you were responding to.
>>
>>50300084
Maybe try to get some idea of the setting first to make sure every monster has it's own place in the world and isn't just another statblock.

Most JRPGs seem to have generic 'monster' mechanism that handwaves the eco system for all the little critters. FFX had the restless spirit of the dead for example, maybe think of something for your game. I think the FF XII bestiary has a lot of origin stories for the various creatures that are pretty good overall, and the Monster Hunter series puts a lot of work into making creatures more life-like.

You can actually create a big number of enemies with little variation if you know what can and can't happen in your world. Take wolves as a basic enemy, later you encounter undead wolves, ditching social behavior but gaining poisonous attacks. In some other place there alchemized wolves, bred as weapons with greater intelligence and resillience to status effects.

You can create you can create a great variety of encounters if your pallete swaps aren't just the same monsters with bigger numbers.

An interesting exampel of good and bad pallete swaps on the same enemy is Dragon's Dogma. There are wolves, who hunt in packs. Some time later you encounter dire wolves, who do the same thing. Like, the only difference is that they have white-ish fur because you encounter them in the colder regions.
But then there are Hellhounds. First, the fire spells that are the weakness of the wolf family strengthen these guys and kick'em into a frenzy. But they also get a ranged attack that knocks you off your feet, which makes you vulnerable to bite attack that wasn't a big deal in normal wolves.

Or the lich, which normally summons skelletons. Basic weak caster hiding behind meatshields while blasting you with spells. But there's one variant that summons hellhounds. Now you have to deal with fast attackers moving around a lot while avoiding both their aimed shots and the caster's AoE spells.
>>
File: 1478462166432.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
1478462166432.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>
>>50303905
>Why? That's not me insulting you - I want to know what you want to accomplish with your system.

Originally, I wanted to fix d20 Modern. But that morphed into have a very nice modern RPG that treats guns right and flows pretty well, has a bunch of options and most importantly: THAT WASN'T GURPS.

So with those kind of parameters, it got complex, quick.

Guns, crafting, and other things make games really complex really fast.
>>
>>50304678
As the final arbiter of RPG quality, I rate your answer acceptable/10.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.