[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ Dungeons and Dragons 5th Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 406
Thread images: 38

File: hedge wizard's hedge maze.jpg (502KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
hedge wizard's hedge maze.jpg
502KB, 1920x1080px
>Latest News:
-New Unearthed Arcana: Bard Colleges: http://media.wizards.com/2016/dnd/downloads/UA_Bard.pdf
-Volo's Guide to Monsters out in the trove!

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
https://mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
https://mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>/tg/ character sheets
https://mega.nz/#F!x0UkRDQK!l-iAUnE46Aabih71s-10DQ

What's the most memorable location your character has ever fought in?
>>
>>50297643
>>50297679
>>50297194 (You)
but the biggest systemic ones that stand out to me are the shitty multiclass rules, the fact that you have to choose between getting your stat boosts and getting feats (not enough feat slots) and the shitty guidelines for building higher level characters.
after that, i'd probably say the way the math is tuned is not well balanced for pvp, and i happen to like rpgs with good pvp mechanics. this one is obviously irrelevant to most groups.
>>50297342
>not enough structure out of combat, not enough tactics in combat
I can see that, too.
>>
>>50297643
>What's the most memorable location your character has ever fought in?
On a storm giant's massive storm boat against a water-controlling aboleth and his chuul minions.
>>
Can someone explain about about Familiars in 5e?

Do they always keep their stats, except for INT, so they never "level up" at all, rendering them super vulnerable?

Do the Chain Warlock "improved familiars" not level up at all either? Can I buy my sprite a rapier or other Light weapon to use DEX instead of STR for attacks?
>>
>>50297827
All of the rules for familiars can be found in the find familiar spell. Chain warlocks can get a few extra things on top of that (more familiar choices, the ability to let them attack, the ability to see through their senses no matter the distance) but otherwise the spell has it all.

So no, their stats never increase and they are very squishy. This is by design. Familiars are supposed to be magical assistants, not combat minions.
>>
>>50297868

I think the Gazer sidebar in Volo's does raise some questions.
>>
File: 1469492725663.jpg (104KB, 436x594px) Image search: [Google]
1469492725663.jpg
104KB, 436x594px
>>50297643
Is Volo's the same as the monster manual?

Just getting into 5e, I skipped 4e. I heard that concentration helped fix buffing casters and fighters can somehow become full casters (the ultimate gish?).

Also, I assume advantage is the same as take 10 or an AoO? I'm just barely reading them, I wish like hell I could afford the real books, but poorfag uni student.

Maybe now I can finally afford the 4e books har har
>>
If I'm going to be a Paladin with Polearm Master, is it worth it for me to take GWF?

rerolling 1s and 2s on a 1d10 weapon doesn't seem as useful as GWF on a 2d6 greatsword.

Would it be better to just take Defense? 16 AC as a frontliner seems a bit rough

Great Weapon Master works on Polearms too no? I may be Variant Human to start, take polearm master at level 1 then GWM at level 4?

The party needs a melee monster, party is my paladin a bard a rogue and a wizard.

I wanted to do polearm master as I figured that it'd give me an extra attack through the reaction thing and a consistent use for my bonus action that I could also smite with. Is polearm master with a glaive or great weapon master with a greatsword better for a pally?

>>50297827
familiars aren't meant to level up and shit

they're utility, not combatants. They are used for scouting and for stuff like "relay this message to NPC please"
>>
>>50297886
There are several monsters in the MM and in VGM that can be used as familiars for NPCs or give extra bonuses as familiars to NPCs, but neither the familiar choice nor the extra abilities are available to PCs.

>>50297902
Volo's Guide to Monsters is equivalent in purpose to Monster Manual 2, with monstrous races and more stat blocks, but with an emphasis on lore as well.

Advantage is 2d20 take highest of the two. It and disadvantage (2d20 take lowest) are 5e's replacement for many situational bonuses.
>>
>>50297902
volos is a supplement. Some new PC races and some new monsters. MM is seperate

fighters can become an Eldritch Knight, a 1/3rd spellcaster. Really good tanks, but you won't be using actual offensive spells often due to very slow spell slot and level progression.

Advantage lets you roll two d20s and take the highest result. It comes out to be a net gain of like +5 or something around that.
>>
>>50297911
i dont have the book in front of me, nor am i at home. what is familiar hp in5e, does it scale up at all?
>>
>>50297886
The only way to get a familiar guaranteed is through the find familiar spell. This spell has its own rules about how the familiars behave and what they can be.

To get a gazer familiar, you have to roleplay. Familiars obtained through roleplay do not have to follow the rules of find familiar. They are just not creature pets you can boss around.
>>
>>50297911
>>50297827
I personally always thought a familiar was just for utility and companionship. If you want something to fight with you, get an animal companion or hireling.

>>50297932
Yeah from what I saw of reviews it might have some interesting ecological facts about monsters, I want to read it because I like stuff like that (like the GURPS splats).

Advantage seems like it could be pretty powerful, I saw something about certain classes can get advantage plus a modifier on certain attacks, though that may have been homebrew.

>>50297959
If martials can get toys that casters have had forever (looking at you, Fly), then I'm happy.
>>
>>50297973
depends on the familiar?

something like an Owl literally has 1hp. Advanced familiars from chainlock has like 10-20 probably.

Like I said, they aren't made for combat either way. magical assistants.
>>
>>50297973
There is no such stat. Familiars don't level up, and have hitpoints dictated by their mm stat block.
>>
>>50297959
>net gain of like +5
Advantage is equivalent to +3.325
>>
>>50297994
>If martials can get toys that casters have had forever (looking at you, Fly), then I'm happy.

a pure eldritch knight is capable, but it would take a long time. I don't think pure EKnights get 3rd level spells until around level 13.

If you want to be heavy on magic, bladesinger is a wizard archetype and is pretty good. Full wizard spellcasting with that.

Valor Bard is also good. Bladelock is bad.

EKnight Wizard multi-class would also work well. I want to do it some day but haven't had the chance

>>50298016
I know that's the actual math, but WotC considers it equiv to a +5
>>
>>50297342
>not enough tactics in combat
how would you fix this? more powers that reposition enemies, and more powers that depend on good positioning? more options to let you rig a fight in your favor to the extent that the enemy can't do shit to defend himself?
in theory, what approaches do you think would work well?
>not enough structure out of combat
what kind of structure would you use? just bring back skill challenges? something else?
>>
>>50298038
Yeah I figured it wouldn't be til after level 10 but I think it's still cool. I can't wait to have some time to read up on everything, really excited about what I'm seeing so far.
>>
>>50298047
Can't recall if this is official or homebrew but I read something about a class feature that gave you essentially a ki pool that let you expend them to give your attacks extra actions like tripping, etc.
>>
>>50298010
>no such stat
>the stat you want is right there in the mm with no changes.
>it doesnt exist, but its in the mm.

gj broski
>>
Will I be /that/guy if I play a social anxious Bard?
>>
>>50298074
EKnights by level 7 have second level spells though, so you could go invisible and shit. They also get the ability to cast a cantrip and make a weapon attack on the same turn, which is really awesome for awhile
>>
>>50298047
For structure outside of combat, I'd love to see burning wheel's social combat. The wager system really helps otherwise shitty roleplayers roleplay well.
>>
>>50298010
>familiars in 5e die in 1 hit
i mean, i get that theyre not combat pets, but this means if an aoe happens to come to close to me i lose my familiar basically 100% of the time.
am i supposed to leave them in town?
>>
>>50298096
I believe he was taking about a global HP value for familiars that scales with master level.
>>
>>50298016
3.333~ you mean.
13.83333333~ - 10.5 is 3.33333~
>>
>>50298107

I've had a total loser/socially retarded/autistic bard on the backburner for a while now. Been waiting for a good campaign to play him in, but one hasn't come up. Just be sure not to go full autist and you should be fine.

>>50298116

Yes, familiars are fuckin' weak. Keep them out of combat unless you've got an owl that can flyby and then GTFO.
>>
>>50298127
ah. pathfinder has something like that, right?
>>
>>50298116
>am i supposed to leave them in town?
You can shunt them into an extradimensional space as an action. Most of them can fly off to safety on their own as well. It's not hard to keep a familiar alive as long as you don't insist on having them in combat all the time.
>>
>>50298116
I don't see why this is an issue, your familiar can just be resummoned if it dies.

It's not past editions; you don't lose CON or a hit die or something if it dies. It doesn't even take you a spell slot if you have ritual casting
>>
>>50298157

Still costs ten gold though, which can really suck in some cases. Lookin' at you, first half of CoS.
>>
>>50298116
Keep them nearby, but out of range. Or if you're a chain lock, flying and invisible behind the enemy wizard.
>>
>>50298093
That's from a homebrewed 4elements monk
Which I personally liked the look of a lot
>>
Trying to make a multiclass fighter/paladin PC that I'm dubbing Samurai build. Only problem I have is what archetypes to pick from each class. The following are possible combinations:

Champion + Devotion
Champion + Vengeance
Battle Master + Devotion
>>
>>50298151
>extradimensional space
is that a built in feature of all familiars now?
>>
>>50298186
>Paladin multiclass

Disgusting. Wish there was Fallen Paladin mechanics.
>>
>>50298114
Can you elaborate on how that works? I know burning wheel is supposed to have some great social mechanics but I've never read into it
>>
File: large.jpg (101KB, 500x307px) Image search: [Google]
large.jpg
101KB, 500x307px
>>50298172
>10 gold
>anything for a true adventurer

>>50298186
champion is boring. battlemaster is the way to go

Battle Master Vengeance is what I'd do. If you want true flavor for a samurai, battlemaster Crown paladin

frankly I'd MC bmaster for every martial if i could

>>50298205
>being a paladin who is also good at fighting means you've fallen

never go full retard friend
>>
>>50298186
>Not honoring the kami as an ancients paladin
>Ever even considering champion bore
>>
>>50298218
Just the way I play.

>You can't multiclass a Wizard, Paladin or Cleric after level 3 but you can Multiclass into a Wizard, Paladin or Cleric after level 3
>>
What's more detrimental to your campaign, anime or furries
>>
>>50298256
why though

>>50298264
probably anime but it depends
>>
>>50298210
You've got normal persuasive type checks for little things, but for big stuff you enter social combat, which is like an argument. Arguments involve multiple persuasive type checks, which are chosen in batches by both combatants. Before entering the argument, each character or player sets the stakes, which is what happens if they lose. Stakes can be something like "I change my opinion on elves" or "I agree to the request". Players have to set stakes too, and these act as role-playing prompts.
>>
>>50298256
but why
>>
>>50298264
neither. full 'tards like this guy.
>>50298256
>>
>>50298186
Champion is actually good for multiclass, so maybe if you plan to smite often, saving your smites for crits.

I'd go for champion+vengeance, because you're clearly focused on being some sort of damaging fuck rather than team support.

However, if you're going damagey, that means you want PAM, and PAM doesn't sound very samurai-ey.
>>
>>50298281
>>50298288
Lore reasons.

Wizards have to be dedicated to their magic arts. One time someone multiclassed into a Warlock because it made sense in the story but that's the only over time.

Paladin's and Clerics are god's chosen ones and they wouldn't be too happy if you throw that away.
>>
>>50298187
> As an action, you can temporarily dismiss your familiar. It disappears into a pocket dimension where it awaits you summons. Alternatively, you can dismiss it forever. As an action while it is temporarily dismissed, you can cause it to reappear in any unoccupied space within 30 feet of you.
Yes. It's part of the spell.
>>
>>50298327
>Being a fighter means throwing away your faith in a god.
>>
>>50298349
There is nothing a man cannot do once he accepts the fact that there is no god.
>>
>>50298305
i associated Glaives with weeb shit so I mean it'd work.

is PAM the best damage option for paladins? not greatsword with GWM GWF?

>>50298327
>Paladin's and Clerics are god's chosen ones and they wouldn't be too happy if you throw that away.

Training a harder at fighting things means throwing it away?

A fighter is just someone really good at fighting
>>
>>50298218
>>50298220
The build is actually for a friend who told me he wanted to play a samurai. My PC is going to be a BM archer that will multiclass Hunter and Assassin.

Would the both of us being battle masters conflict or limit the party in any way or actually make us unstoppable?

>>50298205
>>50298349
The build will have him start as a fresh fighter who will be recruited or find a samurai lord where he would take his paladin oath.
>>
>>50298282
That seems pretty straight forward
>>
>>50298371
no problem with multiple BMasters

Be wary of overly mutli-classing though. You'd probably want to stick BMaster until level 6 or 5 at the least. You need Extra Attack.

If you're starting at level 1 multi-classing that much is going to be a bit dumb
>>
>>50298372
There's a lot of nuance to it, because different persuasive skills have differing levels of effectiveness based on the progress of the argument so far. It's sort of like an extended paper rock scissors match where you have to choose what to throw over three rounds all in advance.
>>
>>50298349
Paladins have to study and do religious/community tasks. They are like the police.

Fighters are like soldiers. Some soldiers become police but police never become soldiers.
>>
>>50298479
>Police can't join the military
??
>>
>>50298479
>It is impossible to do religious/community tasks or study religion as a fighter.
>>
>>50298368
PAM is much, much better. GWM competes until level 11, but beyond that there's no way.

PAM gives two additional attacks - a bonus attack and a reaction attack.

GWM gives a possible bonus attack and an optional damage boost. This optional damage boost decreases the chance of hitting, which means that if your attacks deal a lot of damage, it will prove detrimental.

PAM also gives you more chances to crit and thus critsmite.

If you never expect to get to level 11 in paladin, you can grab GWM anyway and it might be alright, especially if there's a lot of low AC enemies.

GWM actually doesn't work well with GWF. GWF effectively increases your damage, and GWM works better when your attacks deal barely any damage in the first place. Absolutely nothing wrong with using them together, just means that GWM is slightly less great.
>>
>>50298490
Did I say they can't? No I said they don't.

>>50298498
But a Paladin is a holy fighter.
>>
>>50298393
Cool! Good to know two battle masters won't bump heads. Read somewhere some maneuvers favored melee and others ranged so thats good.

The samurai build I see no problem leveling to 5 or 6 in fighter before multi classing but for the archer, would it be wise to multi class to rogue after level 3 as a fighter?

Here's some possible possibilities for the archer class:

>Fighter 12/Rogue 3/Ranger 5
5 ASIs/feats, 3 attacks/Attack action, 5 Superiority Dice (d10s), 2d6 Sneak Attack, 2nd-level spells/slots, Hunter's Mark, Colossus Slayer

>Fighter 11/Rogue 5/Ranger 4
5 ASIs/feats, 3 attacks/Attack action, 5 Superiority Dice (d10s), 3d6 Sneak Attack, Uncanny Dodge, 1st-level spells/slots (3/day), Hunter's Mark, Colossus Slayer

>Fighter 6/Rogue 3/Ranger 11
4 ASIs/feats, 2 attacks/Attack action, 4 Superiority Dice (d8s), 2d6 Sneak Attack, 3rd-level spells/slots, Hunter's Mark, Colossus Slayer, Volley
>>
>>50298526
Oh yes, excuse me. Allow me to correct myself
>Police don't join the military
>But some military join the police
???
>>
Am I the only one that dislikes Multiclassing? Especially in 5e where all the classes scale well.

>>50298538
Yeah. If someone leaves the army they usually go do policing work. But a police officer is never gonna wake up one day and go "yeah the army sounds like a good idea"

Classes = Jobs.
>>
>>50298499
hear me out here -

what if I went Variant Human and took polearm master right off the bat

level 2 I take GWF

then at level 4 I take GWM

would that just be redundant or would that be insane

if I'm going polearm master should I take GWF? does GWF apply to the bonus action polearm butt end attack?

>>50298565
multi-classing allows people to make more fun and unique/mechanically varied characters

why do you not like it? just because?
>>
>>50298565
Classes do not equal jobs. You do not put rogue on your resume. You do not job shadow a bard for career day.
>>
File: 1437161332728.jpg (96KB, 520x355px) Image search: [Google]
1437161332728.jpg
96KB, 520x355px
>>50298608
>taking variant human
>giving up 2/3s a feat
>>
>>50298565
>But a police officer is never gonna wake up one day and go "yeah the army sounds like a good idea"

why not?

frankly senpai you talk like a fag and your shit's all retarded
>>
>>50298613
>You will never shadow a Bard

Damn just think of all the pussy you could get.

I kinda agree with him to a point, he may be retarded but it does make sense. In a broken clock is right twice a day type of affair.
>>
>>50298659
No, he is entirely wrong.
Classes are groups of themed mechanics. Just because your character sheet reads Paladin3/Fighter 1 doesn't mean you've suddenly given up on your god (unless you actually did in fluff/narratively), it just means your training changed for a period of time to be a more martial bent. You're still a Paladin level 3.
>>
>>50297793
For the 'I attack' 'I deal extra damage' 'I teleport' cantrip, you have to really look at it like that. You teleporting is part of the cantrip, and thus it is implied that anyone has the ability to teleport if they can get access to the cantrip. Variant humans and high elves can thus racially teleport at-will.
This is the sort of thinking 4e has, that 5e tries to avoid.

No idea for icy thing. Just more damage would be boring, and make it freezing ray but melee and thus more damage as it's harder for a wizard to use. Maybe 'half speed' is too much.

Acid and thunder aren't massively different. Caustic is much more reliable than booming blade, as having used booming blade I have had many, many situations where it still wouldn't trigger and caustic would definitely have triggered, and I would have expected it to.

Why would toxic do 1d4+1 damage?
If you have a +5 modifier, you deal 1d8+5 damage. That is more average damage than 2d8 at levels 1-4. Of course, you're much more likely to have a +2 or +3 or +4 modifier, but these are hardly very far off.
If you reach level 5, you get 2d8+MOD damage so you will always deal more damage than ray of sickness if your modifier is at least one.
Then, the effect is literally otherwise identical to ray of sickness' effect, but it's bound to a cantrip.
It's also very strong compared to Vicious Mockery. It's okay if it does more damage, but then it also has a debuff that lasts an entire round rather than for just one attack.
>>
>>50298682
Back in 3.5 a Paladin couldn't Multiclass.
>>
>>50298608
Well, GWM will still be alright until level 11.

Once you hit level 11, your attacks as a paladin due to improved divine smite will be so strong that often using GWM will actually reduce your effective damage due to -5 to hit. I believe you can use GWM on butt-end attack though, and that's probably the best attack to use it on.

Also, GWM and PAM compete for bonus actions.

Paladins should prize what ASIs they get, and variant humans are great for them.
>>
>>50298711
The teleport cantrip seems very odd, especially since the distance you can teleport can vary wildly. You can go 5 feet if you teleport next to the target, 10 if you teleport right behind them, 15 if you do that with a polearm, 20 if you're a bugbear with a whip.

Have your familiar carry around mice for you to whip and you'll never need to make an athletics check again.
>>
File: Pact of the Channeler.png (500KB, 713x616px) Image search: [Google]
Pact of the Channeler.png
500KB, 713x616px
Inspired a bit by
>>50293181
>>50293600

I made
http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/ByGkZEpWx
Or see the attached picture.

There are a ton of ways you can go with this (make it replenish spell slots, make you pick from a long list of abilities, etc), but I decided to do it via Domains because it felt cool.
The game is really hurting for Domains which makes it sort of hard and possibly lacking in some theme, but since all it cares about from a domain are the Channel Divinity features, it's not too hard to make your own Channel Divinity-tier stuff, as that cool Winter Domain posted showed.

Balance is a total mystery.
>>
>>50298744
Even if it could only be used in combat and thus you couldn't do things like this, it'd be completely against 5e's design princples.
>>
Shameless palyfag troll
>>
How horrible would it be to do a Bard 6/Rogue 4 in a game that is possibly not going to get much past 10? Starting with Rogue, then 6 Bard (for that second attack) then 3 Rogue or something like that?
>>
>>50298979
I expected it to be a lot more gimmicky than it is, but Satireladin sounds like it could be fun.
>>
>>50299050
It'd be nothing special.

Basically just Valor bard with a slightly better attack for when they're not spellcasting.
>>
>>50299067
The intent is to build a half-caster but my favorite list being Bard makes it hard to give up some spells if I'm going to play a caster at all.
>>
>>50298979
Aren't Paladin oaths supposed to have 2 channel divinity options?
>>
>>50298979
WHY THE FUCK CANTRIPS
WHERE THE FUCK ARE THE LV5 SPELLS
REEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
Is there a pdf of the DM screen anywhere? I can't find it in the trove.
>>
>>50299369
No, there isn't.
>>
I am not sure if the question belongs here, but i think this is the most appropriate thread.

How do you solve the problem of repeatability in 5e? I have DMed pathfinder for a few years, but half a year ago we decided with players to try 5e. Played through a numbers of oneshots and elemental evil. And here is a thing - characters are starting to repeat. In PF there were unlimited possibilities of characters development - prestige classes, feats, skills, spells. In 5e there are only a handful of classes with a couple of variance in each, feats are extremely scarce and boring. By now my players have already exhausted most build options and the fact that skill system was cut out altogether for proficiency doesn't help either, making all their characters look like copies.

Is there anything we are missing or 5e has real problem with replayability?
>>
>I want to make reasonable request to NPC
>"Roll deception"
>>
>>50299436
You went through all the races, backgrounds, classes and subclasses in 6 months? I find that hard to believe. I also think you and your players' focus on being widely different mechanically is misguided, when you can have two characters with the same class and subclass and still be widely different based on race, background, and their general personality.

But if you insist on keeping with that mindset, start looking at homebrew, the DMs Guild and the like. There's tons of third-party stuff out there and some of it is actually okay.
>>
>>50299436
I find it hard to believe that you've gone through every combo. Or is it just that you've used up all the 'optimal builds'?

Try making a character first and worrying about mechanics second.
>>
>>50299436

>A number of one-shots

Playing a character for one or two games hardly constitutes giving it a thorough playing.
>>
>>50299436
>Is there anything we are missing
Play a character, not a stat block.
>>
>play a Cleric from Damara
>cast Tongues
>cast Command on creatures
>since Damaran is an agglutinative language (like German), any number of words can be slammed together to form a single word, allowing you to issue very complex and specific orders
>>
>>50298371
Had a party with two Battlemasters.
One was a grappling-focused Tavern Brawler, the other a Shield Master.
>everything is always knocked down at all times and usually stays there
>>
>>50299436
>>50298608
>Players that make boring characters, but twiddle with character mechanics to make them "interesting".

No one at the table finds them "interesting" but you. If your concept isn't great before you write on the sheet or math out your nova-combo, then it's already beyond hope.
>>
>>50299677
That's what Tongues is for.
>>
>>50299634
You are using a 3rd level spell slot AND a 1st level spell slot to make a 1st level spell slightly more effective.
Actually you are theorycrafting as you don't have a game, but still it's stupid.
>>
>>50299711
You can keep forcing an enemy to do ridiculous shit with repeated casts of a level one spell. Tongues is just the set-up of the wombo combo. The rest of the time you're telling them to throw their +3 flaming glaive of doom into their priest.
>>
>>50299634
Oh and how can I tell that you are a lonely theorycrafting sadsack that doesn't have a 5e game?
Because if you actually had friends to play a wizard with, you'd realize that Suggestion does this for a 2nd level spell slot.
>>
>>50299737
that's not how agglutinative languages work, either, you don't get to combine multiple different nouns "Glaive" "Priest" into a single word that makes a lick of sense.

Just give it up, it's a stupid fucking idea.
>>
>>50299752
You seem really hostile for some reason. I think you're projecting some argument you've been having with someone else on me. You're also trying to turn this into a Wizard discussion when it's just a fun little Cleric joke.

And I literally just finished a roll20 session.
We failed to hide from a fire giant, but managed to slow him, drop him to the ground with Command, blind him with a bottle of ink, and scream at him psychically in Giant until he was a blubbering mess. Then we tied him to the ground with ropes and stakes like true Lilliputians, interrogated him, and finished him off by driving a crowbar into his skull with a sledgehammer because we're totally the good guys. Level up.
>>
Could you use 7th level slots to cast magic missile to bypass Tiamat's limited spell immunity?
>>
>>50299789
I think so, but it wouldnt really do much to her considering her insanely high hp
>>
>>50299786
You aren't casting agglutinative command spells because you haven't found a DM that retarded yet.
>>
>>50299495
>>50299518
Races and backgrounds don't really affect playstyle though,

>>50299591
Well, yeah, and that's a problem. Things started getting repeating mechanically. I mean there is no real variation in, say, barbarian. You can rage or not rage. The only one who keeps being somewhat creative is the guy who plays wizards and sorcerers, but that's magic variance for you.

And out of battles it is even harder - with skills someone could be a knowledgeable expert on lore/local and give others insight or experienced artisan in specific craft, each characters mattered - in 5e they are all the same by proficiency.
>>
>>50299813
1. There's only so many ways to roll a couple of damage dice at something. You're bothered by the fact that there's not some autistically complex dash of math required to figure out which two dice you are rolling for damage, using some combination of hit bonuses/penalities that you sit there and calculate while everyone else is bored.

2. It's pretty easy for a DM to say "Ok, you both have KS History, but since this is an old Quarmallian ruin, and the thief is from that region, he has Advantage on the roll." There no need for distinct History skills.

The problem is that you can't handle any level of improvisation whatsoever, and need a detailed road map to play a character.

They make a game for that; it's called 3.whatever/Pathfinder

I'm sorry that most people without your disability have moved on to 5e.
>>
>>50299813
I can think of plenty of ways to make even a Barbarian feel different from others both in and out of combat, and that's before races and backgrounds.

Totem Barbarians even have more complexity within their subclass.

You want a different feeling Barbarian? Go medium armor, Noble Knight variant background, pick up Inspiring Leader or Martial Adept for Rally, pump Charisma and be a leader of men. Use Medium armor so you don't need as much Dex or Con. Go Totem and take wolf at first level so you give everyone advantage against the guy you're fighting.

You're telling me that someone has done that in your group? That somehow that isn't different enough in terms of combat or non-combat abilitiy?
>>
>>50299902
He's saying he's a math-tard, who'd rather keep rolling on his 20 different proficiencies than roleplay a goddamn thing.

He needs to leave the 5e thread and never return.
>>
>>50299813
>I mean there is no real variation in, say, barbarian. You can rage or not rage.
You can also choose whether to reckless attack or not, or whether to frenzy or not.
And if you take feats such as GWM you gain even more options.
>>
File: 1376925847420.jpg (60KB, 696x462px) Image search: [Google]
1376925847420.jpg
60KB, 696x462px
>group of 7
>only healer
>actually not a full healer, just a sort-of-kind-of-one, it took people a while to realize that
>person dies
>"do you have revivify?"
>tfw
>>
>>50299971
I hate to "Stormwind Fallacy" and all that, but people I've ran for who think like that guy are all boring as fuck around the table.
They can generally only manage to RP a slightly more spastic/edgy version of their own shit personality.
>>
>>50299865
>It's pretty easy for a DM to say "Ok, you both have KS History, but since this is an old Quarmallian ruin, and the thief is from that region, he has Advantage on the roll." There no need for distinct History skills.

I understand and that's how we have been solving this, but the problem is that this makes players feel far less unique. As a DM, i can rule anything, but the players feel like they are only for what they do at the table, not what their characters are. It's something they have been expressing to me lately.
>>
>>50299995
What is a sort-of healer?
Does this mean you are a Cleric who pisses away his magic trying to out-DPS the other players?
>>
>>50300025
Cleric1/Warlock4 , looks almost like a cleric and often ends up using divine spells
I was going to become more healery later, I swear.
>>
File: 1458186269452.gif (328KB, 500x374px) Image search: [Google]
1458186269452.gif
328KB, 500x374px
>>50300025

>Playing Cleric multiclass
>Not the only healer
>DM throws a whole horde of tiny enemies at us
>First chance to cast Spirit Guardians
>My face when things die in my presence
>>
>>50300037
Multiclassing is shit, multi-class Warlocks/Sorcerers are turbo-shit.
>>
>>50300076
>tfw Fighter/Monk is treating me well
>>
>>50300076
>not subtle spelling hex and making everyone in town suck at everything while they have no idea why
>>
>>50300076
>multi-class warlocks
>shit

Warlock 2 gives you repelling agonizing blast, which scales independent of class level.
Warlock 3 gives you charisma shillelagh which is brilliant for certain people.
>>
>>50297643
On a train in the midst of a train robbery that ended up with everything going tits up, dynamite everywhere, and cars coming disconnected.
>>
>>50300021
My players have detailed enough backgrounds that they can easily say "I came from a family of jewelers, I am good at buying/evaluating/repairing gems and jewelry" and let them do so; giving that player advantage when a roll is necessary for something vital.
There's absolutely no need for everyone to have incredibly specific skills like Lore: Thunderhead Mountains

Maybe they should, I dunno, write out a more detailed character background. As the DM, you can give them a couple extra languages/tool prof/musical instruments/whatever. Those are plenty detailed.

Sounds to me like you just miss your pile of combat bonuses and your 6 hour fights.
>>
>>50300096
I never said they were ineffective, I said they were shit. Munchkin-tier garbage for a game that has done everything to discourage Munchkin-ing, but some people just can't live without it and choose to infest 5e games.
>>
>>50300144
I chose two starting levels in warlock to get 'mask of many faces'.
That was the goal.

No munchkinnery here, especially when you consider two different spellcasting modifiers for MAD as fuck.

Without multiclassing, a character concept may have to change to be in line with warlockness rather than whatever other theme if you intend to have a feature that is only found on the warlock class.
>>
>>50300164
Not him, though I do think it was a bit of a mistake to let Warlocks multiclass the way they did. Specifically, Eldritch blast scaling as a great ranged attack with only 2 levels of investment, and allowing you to use Warlock slots for non warlock spells and vise versa.

Being able to nab Cha based Shillelagh is also rather annoying. You get so much good stuff from Warlock from even a small dip. Even a single level will get you two spellslots that recharge on a short rest, which can be great for utility.

It's a shame too, since Warlock really is a class that is very flavorful for multiclassing. Fighter who isn't feeling like he's skilled enough on his own? Make a deal with a devil and get a bit of magical oomph.

Most Warlock multiclasses I see though are usually with Sorcerer or Paladin just aiming to make a character that only needs Cha for anything and is mixing refreshing spell slots with Smites or Sorcery points.
>>
>>50300206
>Fighter who isn't feeling like he's skilled enough on his own? Make a deal with a devil and get a bit of magical oomph.
They have archetypes for this.
>>
>>50300230
And Feats like Magic Initiate.

I roll my eyes every time I hear "I am dipping into Warlock for roleplaying/flavor purposes".
Sure you are.
>>
>>50300230
Yes, but it applies to every class. My point is that Warlock, as a class concept, is very easy to justify multiclassing into. It isn't like Wizard where you suddenly squeeze in years of study.

Warlock is written as the shortcut to power class, so it makes sense that some adventurer's might take that shortcut.

>>50300240
And there's the problem. That despite Warlock being a neat flavor option there, nobody ever actually considers it for that reason, because it's such a big mechanical benefit. It's too strong as a multiclass, and loses any actual merit in the process.
>>
>>50300240
Warlock has cool flavour, edgy or not.
>>
>>50300255
>so it makes sense that some adventurer's might take that shortcut.
Yes, and they are called Warlocks.
Fighters who want to be Gish have Eldritch Knight, Rogues have Arcane Trickster, Paladins and Rangers already cast spells, Monks have various Archetypes of that sort, and casters are already casters.

People multiclass Warlock to abuse it's scaling abilities and what have you, stop being disingenuous, no one here is a newb GM.
>>
>>50300271
So play one.
>>
>>50300308
I would if I had a group.
>>
>tfw party wizard has the second highest HP and Strength
The fighter has 8 more points of HP.
>>
Hey guys, if anyone's bored or wants to kill time or is looking for a new D&D podcast, check out our last episode: http://bardsandnobles.com/episode/e4-a-fishy-deal/

I actually post in /5eg/ frequently, and I DM this particular game so a lot of ideas and suggestions you guys give I actually use in game. Would love to get some feedback on any aspect (the podcast, the game, the story, etc. etc.)
>>
>>50300293
Really? So in your world, someone can't be a warrior of great renown, a Champion if you will, and then find something that gives them enough pause to take a shortcut for even more power rather than continuing their martial training?

An apprentice Wizard, on their path to being an archmage, would never conduct a forbidden ritual for more knowledge in an attempt to get there faster?

I'm saying that people multiclassing warlock to abuse it is the problem. The fact that it can be abused is the problem, because it makes those sorts of concepts get shot down with dirty looks because they saw a munchkin do it once.
>>
>>50300271
You can take Magic Initiate, take Warlock cantrips/spells, and flavor it as "I have contact with this supernatural patron".
But then you don't get to munchkin Eldritch Blast and the like, so much for flavour I guess.
>>
>>50300333
You can also take 1 level in Warlock and get the same result except without a minmaxed Eldritch Blast. Funny that, it's almost like you can multiclass without minmaxing.
>>
>>50300332
>An apprentice Wizard, on their path to being an archmage, would never conduct a forbidden ritual for more knowledge in an attempt to get there faster?
This can be accomplished in-game without ever multiclassing as Warlock. You'd only be doing it to abuse their class-specific abilities.

You are ruining your own (poor) argument.

Just admit that you multi warlock for in-game advantage, you have nothing to be ashamed of, half 5e munchkins do it.
>>
>>50300333
Warlock flavor comes from the patron features and other invocations anyways.
Too bad swapping two levels out for Eyes of the Rune Keeper or Devil's Sight is a pretty weak tradeoff.
>>
>>50300364
>Just admit that you multi warlock for in-game advantage
Shouldn't this be the case though?
If my character is selling their soul to some sketchy power, they should be getting some noticeable benefits from it
>>
>>50300347
yes, but by taking the feat you don't sacrifice your spell progression/delay your midlevel class abilities, shit-can your lvl 20 ability.

Funny that, it's almost like you mulitclass Warlock in games you have no long term investment in.
And FYI, no one is impressed with your ability to "optimize" in 5e.
>>
>>50300364
I am LITERALLY saying that multiclassing warlock should be nerfed so it isn't a massive in game advantage, so that people can multiclass warlock without people saying that they're doing it for the in-game advantage.

How are you reading the exact opposite?
>>
>>50300364
>You'd only be doing it to abuse their class-specific abilities
>only

Maybe you need to play with different people. Not everyone is out to minmax.
>>
>>50300385
"Gee Mike, see you've made up a Rogue for this campaign. Oh and I see this character has also sold his soul for Eldritch Blast and an Invocation. Isn't that flavorful!"
>>
>>50300328
I'll check it out tomorrow senpai
If I see you really used something that's thrown around in the thread I'll give you lots of internet points.
>>
>>50300386
You just pointed out yourself that it just delays spell progression and abilities. How is that 'optimizing'? I'm not even suggesting optimizing.

I don't multiclass warlock because of shit like this where no matter how flavorful it is for the character and no matter how shit it is for optimization, everyone just groans and assumes it's a minmax build.

I could be a Barbarian with 13 charisma, take a single level in Warlock for little to no benefit, and there would still be someone accusing me of min-maxing, because being a warlock automatically makes you a minmaxer until you have 20 levels of it and are incapable of multiclassing.
>>
>>50300414
Just Multiclassers.
The Rogue dip for "Muh Specialization" can be easily treated with a "Specialization in 1 skill/+1 in that Stat" Feat. Anyone wanting 3 or more Specializations should play a fucking Rogue; that is literally the point of the class existing.

Warlock dip-shits are "flavourful" Min-maxers, without exception.
>>
>>50300408
How to multiclass warlock and have it not be overpowered:
Do it as anything that isn't sorcerer with the intention of spamming quickened EB.
Oh wait, that isn't even OP, just annoying munchkin CANTRIP optimization at the sacrifice of having a character that can do nearly anything else useful. Good job using your level 17 full caster potential to shoot stuff real gud.
If you're still going to complain about "muh OP auto scaling" just don't take EB- or even just don't take the invocations that make it better than other cantrips. Then you've sold your soul (and burned 2 levels of main class progression) to a demon or dick to a fey for the ability to read books and talk to squirrels I guess.
Oh, and let martials combine levels for Extra Attack to even the playing field.
>>
Real question.

Why doesn't Eldritch Blast only scale with Warlock level like so many class-specific features do?

Is it because it's a cantrip?
>>
>>50300462
It is just because it's a cantrip and the thing that actually makes it good is available at level 2.
>>
>>50300444
>You just pointed out yourself that it just delays spell progression and abilities. How is that 'optimizing'?
Because these people write this shit up for short/one-off games or perenially get dis-invited to further sessions, so they get the brief satisfaction of building a "better" character than the other players, not giving a shit about the 10th level they'll never see.

Or they are turbo-autist theorycrafters wasting my time with discussion.
>>
>>50300462
Yeah.
Just like how the fire bolt cast by an eldritch knight will always be the same as that cast by a wizard, but the wizard can cast any non-cantrip the eldritch knight knows more effectively
>>
File: Lead_Elixir.gif (752KB, 500x374px) Image search: [Google]
Lead_Elixir.gif
752KB, 500x374px
Is Hill Dwarf Totem Barbarian 3/Moon Druid x the best way to get buckets of HP?

Pic related.
>>
>>50300455
>How to multiclass warlock and have it not be overpowered:
Don't allow Multiclassing the Optional Rule.

Now everything is balanced forever. And the really annoying min-maxers see themselves out the door voluntarily! Win-win.
>>
>>50300451
>without exception

I didn't realize this was bait, sorry /5eg/.
>>
>>50300455
See >>50300475

>>50300475
See >>50300455
>>
>>50300462
>Is it because it's a cantrip?
Yes.
>>
>>50300328
hey, I've been listening to this since I saw someone (you, presumably) post about this on /tg/ around the time you posted the 3rd episode
really enjoying it. really good balance of humour/combat/roleplaying, all the players seem to get along really well.
too early to comment on the story or setting or whatever but I like what I've heard so far. swan boat (ship) was p. cool.
>>
>>50300480
Try barbarian-rogue for uncanny dodge + bear barbarian totem.
>>
>>50300491
Hmm, re-write the rules, or not use a totally unnecessary optional rule....
Tough choice.
>>
>>50300451
>>50300489
>I want a mechanical feature that I'll have fun with but it won't really break the game and my character might be a bit less effective since they delay their main class progression
>MUNCHKINS STOP HAVING FUN

There's honestly only one or two multiclasses I'd consider almost direct upgrades of linear class progression. Otherwise they're all sidegrades.
>>
>>50300527
I went with Moon Druid because each beast you turn into is just another free health bar. The Bear Totem goes without saying.

Anybody that wanted to kill you has to work through both of your wildshapes, your sizable normal health bar that is aided by dwarven constitution, and your Hill Dwarf bonus health. You don't have crazy AC but you've just got sacks of meat to take hits.
>>
>>50300556
it's just autism, pay him no mind
>>
>>50300567
Moon druid has spell slots they can burn to self-heal and beast forms for ridiculous blocks of HP.

Barbarian-rogue focuses on mitigating as much damage as possible, but provides no sources of healing.
>>
>>50300556
>"I want to have a character who sells his soul for power for FLAVOUR!"
"Then play a goddamn Warlock"
>"But I wanna have some other shit too!"
"There's Feats for that"
>"BUT MUH FLAVOR!"
>>
I'm in a Roll20 campaign with dynamic lighting

I'm having a really bad time due to not having darkvision. Everyone else does, and as such didn't bother to take the Light cantrip or anything.

I can't just hold a torch as I need both my hands. What the fuck can I do? I know I could MC Warlock for two levels and get Devil's Sight which I am seriously considering doing

>>50300620
You're fucking retarded, please stop posting
>>
but feats are optional too
>>
>>50300633
Ask the DM if you can get a hooded lantern that you can hook on your belt.
>>
>>50300633
Uh, a torch?
>>
>>50300633
Take Magic Initiate, learn Light.
>>
>>50300668
>>50300671
Why spend 10 cp when you can waste two levels on FLAVOR?

people are really this stupid
>>
>>50300687
(you)
>>
>>50300668
that's a good idea, I'll do that

>>50300671
read

>>50300685
It's an option I guess
>>
>>50300702
"Hey DM, My Paladin is selling his soul to the King of the Fey so he can SEE IN THE DARK!, YEAH THAT'S THE TICKET!"

Die in a fire.
>>
File: img2.thejournal.ie.gif (893KB, 700x525px) Image search: [Google]
img2.thejournal.ie.gif
893KB, 700x525px
>>50300620
>5e
>feats
>only once every 4 levels
>limited selection
>required for more important things
>>
>>50300726
Fey pact and ancients oath can mesh.
>>
>>50300633
If it turns seriously problematic, you can say that the character retires from the party to find a more suitable party.

And, a more suitable replacement is found.

That's how business works. If a group is doing night raids 24/7 without lights, a human won't participate.
>>
File: intredasting.jpg (51KB, 685x567px) Image search: [Google]
intredasting.jpg
51KB, 685x567px
>>50300730
You realize that multiclassing delays these all-important feats, right?
>>
>>50300767

>Boo hoo people multiclassing makes me sad

Good thing you're too impotent to stop me. Oh yeah, most of my characters are multiclassed. Now go cry yourself to sleep, autist.
>>
>>50300798
REEEEeee
>>
>>50300798
>OH FUG I AM STUPID QUICK CHANGE TACTIC

Its ok, Potato.
>>
whichever dumb fag shitting up this thread sure made me miss the pathfinder furries

>>50297643
at a miner's barracks fighting off a magically enhanced serial killer with a shitload of drunken half-orcs
>we chose this location for a last stand because one of the macguffins was there and it was somewhat defensible
>>
File: Fighting-Felynes.png (254KB, 579x450px) Image search: [Google]
Fighting-Felynes.png
254KB, 579x450px
>>50300876
>whichever dumb fag shitting up this thread sure made me miss the pathfinder furries
That reminds me, would it be at all unbalancing to take the tabaxi stats and make them small, thus making them a best?
>>
>>50300902
Depends on the setting.
>>
>>50300902
I'm pretty sure Small on its own is nothing but downsides. All it really does is cut them out from using heavy weapons and make them worse at grappling.
>>
>>50300767
You delay it by 1 level.
You can get feats in the multiclassed thing, potentially.
Even if you only dip, getting a level in the class allows you to then get a level in the original class for something probably better than what magic initiate would give you and then use the ASI normally.
>>
Are there any good manor or mansion maps in any of the modules or AL stuff? I might need one for a session this weekend, I'd wager there's a ~33% chance of the party looking through one so I want to be prepared but don't want to fully prep it for nothing.
>>
>>50300993
Curse of Strahd has a few goods ones in it (Death House, Wachter House and the Baron's Mansion).
>>
>>50299995
>7 man group without at least one Bard, Cleric, Druid, Paladin, or even a Fighter with Rally
Did everyone decide to be wizards or something?
>>
File: 1377323612135.png (64KB, 319x304px) Image search: [Google]
1377323612135.png
64KB, 319x304px
>>50300951
Eh, at the end of the day I don't care if you Multiclass in YOUR games, same as I don't care if your DM allows 40 point buy.

I just love tweaking people trying to pretend they are Warlock dipping for anything other than optimization.
>>
>>50301119
What if I dip warlock for blade pact?
>>
I haven't had a chance to play 5e since the beta. How does a critical hit with a broadsword work now? Stacking crit die?
>>
File: 1250997416044.jpg (49KB, 800x448px) Image search: [Google]
1250997416044.jpg
49KB, 800x448px
>Everyone talking about bugbears
>Can't find it in Volo's

Am I retarded?
>>
>>50301130
Yes. I'm sorry you had to find out this way.
>>
>>50301123
No one can stop you from being stupid. Even your Mom lost that option after a few months.
>>
File: lawnmower dreams.gif (931KB, 301x240px) Image search: [Google]
lawnmower dreams.gif
931KB, 301x240px
>>50301155
>not optimizing is stupid
>but fuck you if you optimize
>>
>>50297911
GWF is still worth it b/c RAW it also applies to the haft-bash bonus attack from Polearm Master. Rerolling 1s and 2s on a d4 is pretty nifty.
>>
>>50301139

Where is it? WHERE IS IT?
>>
>>50301204
Goblinoids, Tater..
>>
>>50301204
Could it be under the section of monstrous races?
If only the books were somehow organized, or had an index or glossary.
>>
>>50301204
I don't have my book handy but it's on the same page as goblins/hobgoblins/kobolds. I wanna say it's around page 90?
>>
File: 1385662391465.jpg (15KB, 300x311px) Image search: [Google]
1385662391465.jpg
15KB, 300x311px
>>50301168
Yes, pissing away your 20th level ability, and delaying every other class ability, just for some trite superficial effect that could be simulated with an Uncommon-tier magic item or a DM's bennie, is pretty fucking stupid.

Using it as an example for allowing multiclassing makes you a pretty dense motherfucker. Care to double down again?
>>
>>50301224
I wasn't arguing for multiclassing, I just saw everyone else going for the bait and wanted to be included.
>>
File: 1378782369896.png (257KB, 500x366px) Image search: [Google]
1378782369896.png
257KB, 500x366px
>>50301250
Fair enough then.
>>
>>50298565
i dislike multiclassing in 5e because the asis and attacks and spellcasting dont scale well. its poor design is the only valid reason i can see to dislike it.
>>
>>50301126
Crits always happen on a 20 and double the amount of damage dice you roll (including those not just from the weapon, like sneak attack, smites, etc.).
>>
So... would it be too unbalanced to give the warlock one of its old invocations back? Namely the ability to cast Spider Climb without using a spell slot.
>>
>>50301319
Nah, that'd probably be fine. Maybe give it a 5th-level requirement to avoid low-level abuse.
>>
>>50301319
>Every encounter I'm up on the ceiling/up the side of a tree/cliff/rigging/nya you can only shoot at me.

It's not as annoying as permanent flight, but keep in mind what you're getting into.
>>
>>50301284
>poor design
You trade out raw power for versatility. That's the entire point of multicasting, ASIs as class features and limited spellcasting stop it from getting out of hand very well.
>>
>>50301342
And by "versatility", he means Smite or Eldritch Blast abuse.
>>
>>50301409
I don't think fighter has either of those.
>>
>>50301427
Give me one compelling Fighter multiclass that isn't equally well handled (or better) by Archetype, Background and their copious list of Feats.
>>
>>50301342
you dont take away peoples asis for picking a different subclass (that would *also* be stupid). in what way is multiclass different.?
>>
>>50300088
Well Monk/battle master is a great combo.

Just depends on your play range how you split it.

Low level campaign is only for one level dips.

For a high level campaign you need at least 6 monk levels.
>>
>>50301509
what is ASI referring to exactly, I don't optimize and use the lingo.
>>
>>50301531

Ability Score Improvement.
>>
>>50301458
Depends on the character concept and character development in-game you massive cockwaffle
>>
>>50301531
Ability Score Increase.
>>
>>50301536
Oh IC.
You don't get ASI when you reach 4th level, you get them when you reach 4th and so forth in One Class. Different than "sublclass" (Archetype?) as those are figured into the basic class level.
>>
>>50301545
So you got nothing then.
>character development in-game
I chuckled at this.
>>
>>50301509
Because ASIs are "gate levels" to more powerful abilities in a given class. You get one at 4th level, and beyond that is 5th level which gets you 3rd-level spells, extra attack, uncanny dodge, and so on. But instead of them being dead levels like they would be in most past editions, you can increase your base abilities or get a powerful feat.
>>
Need adventure ideas for a game set in a pseudo-historical mythological Greek setting where the party is made up of Zeus' children that have been stripped of much of their supernatural powers and re-earn them with every deed (aka leveling up).

Yes Heracles 12 labors will probably happen.
>>
>>50301700

Pankration tournament

PANKRATION TOURNAMENT

WITH CHEATING!
>>
Alright, shitty homebrew cleric domain revision 3.

Anything egregious?
>>
>>50301570
>play a fighter
>travel in wilderness
>wild bear encounter later has party come across now-motherless bear cub
>fighter likes the bear, uses him as pillow
>drops some levels in ranger as he dedicates himself to his new pet

>start as sword-shield fighter from tiny hamlet
>party eventually reaches major city
>fighter explores the houses of worships seeking to better protect her allies
>ends up multiclassing into cleric or pally
>>
>>50301204
It's right there! You... you

DOUBLE NILBOG
>>
File: dasfuckingracistbutigetit.png (39KB, 194x171px) Image search: [Google]
dasfuckingracistbutigetit.png
39KB, 194x171px
>>50301765
>>
>>50297902
https://mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

you know the core books are in the mega right? you can download them
>>
>>50301296
Oh wow, that changed. Thanks.
>>
How to get Heavy Armor + Shield proficiency without sacrificing a level as a Wizard or Sorcerer?
>>
>>50301916
Sacrifice three ASIs to take the appropriate feats.
>>
>>50301926
But without totally gimping my character too.
>>
>>50297643
Does this seem fair to put my players against?
http://pastebin.com/RXs9exzv
>>
>>50301941
Then use Mage Armor and pump your dex instead.

Or take a level in cleric with a domain that gives you heavy armor. That'll put you a level behind in terms of spells you know/can prepare but get you access to all 1st-level cleric spells and without sacrificing your spell slots.
>>
>>50301959
>race
>class
>feats
>etc.
Take a look at DMG pg. 275 and build it that way instead. That way you'll actually have the CR for it and can make encounters with it properly.

There are also a bunch of premade caster NPCs in the back of VGM you should take a look at.
>>
>>50301985
>There are also a bunch of premade caster NPCs in the back of VGM you should take a look at.
I have, none of them suit my purposes. Also, to me, nothing this creature gains by having player features seems to make it unduly powerful, but I wanted a second opinion.
>>
>>50301959
>HP 27

It's shit and it's going to die in a single round of combat.
>>
>>50302166
>Mirror Image
>Gaseous Form
>Stealth
>Large Numbers
Did you even read beyond the hp?
>>
>>50301959
Calculate its CR and then we can talk. No point looking at a stat block without knowing what sort of challenge it's worth, and no one's going to do that for you.
>>
>>50302194
>Mirror image gets destroyed by any AOE
>Gas form doesn't even get immunity to regular weapons and requires an action
>A single surprise round
>27 hp is still 27 hp no matter how many there are

Unless your group is pants on head, it's still going to be an underwhelming fight.
>>
>>50302194
>>50302209
I realize I may have worded my mirror image retort poorly.

Mirror images themselves do not get destroyed by AOE, the AOE simply bypasses it. Considering their health is lower than the average damage of a regular, minimum-level Fireball (8d6) there is a very good chance a single fireball would kill every harvester in its explosion range, flat-out. Gas form and mirror image do nothing against this, and fireball is one of the most popular spells out there.
>>
>>50302232
I should have explained more about what the party is like before asking how challenging my monster is, sorry. Currently the party consists of two people, a monk and a rogue, both of whom are low level and do not have much aoe potential as of yet.

I'll post an updated, hopefully improved, statblock in a minute or two anyway.
>>
>>50302247
I don't even know what to say about it in this case, really.

You're running a 2-man party and you're going to throw pc-as-monsters at them without understanding balance, give them weaknesses that can only be exploited by classes that your party doesn't have and you're asking if it's 'fair' to fight with?

Just follow the actual monster creation rules or something, dude.
>>
>>50302263
The monsters listed in the monster manual don't even follow the monster creation rules, in many cases. Especially in terms of HP.
>>
>>50302285
They most certainly do, you just have to understand that you can give the monster different offensive and defensive CR's (bloat the HP, lower the attack) and then its actual CR is the median.
>>
>>50302285
They do, actually. Some are over or under by a single CR step, due to using an older version of the CR rules or from playtesting.
>>
Question for fellow DMs, would you allow Shillelagh with something other than club or quarterstaff? A spear, for example?
>>
>>50302337
Sure. It still only goes up to a d8 and piercing is actually slightly worse than the bludgeoning a quarterstaff/club would do (mostly because of skeletons).
>>
>>50302337
i think it would get weird with versatile rules and thrown but it should be fine
>>
>>50302349
>>50302352
I have a life cleric in my party that got a magical +1 spear, but his str is only 13, so he barely ever uses it. I'm trying to think of a way to allow him to use Wis for it without making it feel like I'm bending the rules in his favor, since he wouldn't like that. I guess even making it Dex based would help, since he's got a 15 in it.
>>
>>50302337
It's been a long time, but I think the AD&D rules were that any weapon can be used with Shillelagh as long as they were made entirely of wood - no metal.

That's the rule I've always used.
>>
>>50302202
>>50301985
Does this look any better?
http://pastebin.com/MSYagmww
>>
>>50297643
Mystic take three when?
>>
>>50302524
Before the end of the year. So soon, by 5e standards.
>>
How often do you grant inspiration points?
>>
>>50302263
The fight is meant to be a bit of an uphill battle. Knowing my players, they are accustomed to beating unfavorable odds. They have already defeated a CR 5 monster plus two CR 1/2 monsters at level 3.
>>
>>50302558
Depends on the group. I tend to give it after every really good RP session. So for one group it's every 1-2 sessions, for my other I gave all of them their first one a week ago after playing with them for months.

If nothing else, it's a built-in form of positive reinforcement to get them out of the dungeon-crawl murderhobo mindset and into RPing more.
>>
We've been running Curse of Strahd and none of us have run it before except the DM, he's getting frustrated with us because so far we've never bitten any hook into why we're supposed to hate Strahd.

Every encounter we've had, we've been polite and courteous because he's the lord of the realm and upon hearing that he's just as trapped in Ravenloft as the rest of us, we keep offering him cooperation to help escape the demiplane.

Is the DM frustrated because we're going off-track of what he intends or because the book doesn't detail this as a hypothetical?
>>
>>50302594
Your DM isn't trying hard enough.
>>
So my PCs will soon be arriving at an archmage's ball/faire.

There will be alchemy and artifice shows, ballroom dances, fine dinners, all that kind of shit. I have a few questions.

>How should I go about planting the idea of "making friends in high places" in the PCs heads without being obvious that I want them to?

>What are some exhibits for the party to see?
Things that aren't overly arcane scholarly bullshit, but applied examples, like small-scale skeleputers, a new alchemical flesh compound to build yourself a wife with, that kind of stuff.

>How overtly should I describe the conflicts between various NPC factions?
>>
>>50302594
Keep doing god's work.
>>
Do you folks think it's reasonable for a caster to be able to cast Vampiric Touch while concentrating on a Darkness spell, as long as they don't concentrate on V touch and only use its immediate effect, or is this too much of a stretch?
>>
>>50301204

at the end of the player races section, i think it's 3 pages

(there should be annotations labeling it)
>>
>>50302594
Is it not obvious?

you guys all sat down to play curse of strahd. Instead of just playing curse of strahd, you're being assclowns doing the "but MY CHARACTER isn't motivated to fight strahd :DDD"

Fuck right off with that. you are all there to play the game. Play it.

if you've all made characters without any relation to the campaign, any reason to be invested in barovia and strahd, then you've all totally failed as players. If your GM isn't doing anything about it, and isn't trying to get you invested in the campaign he's totally failed as a GM.

If you guys didn't want to go to barovia and fight strahd and his minions then you shouldn't have fucking played CoS.
>>
>>50302911
i think it's more that his characters simply don't have any reason to suspect strahd as a bad guy, simply a guy that is as trapped in barovia as they are.
to be fair from what i've heard of that adventure the players are supposed to be clued in very quickly that strahd is not a very friendly figure and he will likely kill them
>>
Are there any good live plays besides critical role? I'm complete;y caught up with it.

I'm aware that Nerdarchy does live play. I'm also aware that quill18 does some live play of 5e d&d. I've watched and listened to acquisitions inc stuff.

I don't really care what system is being played, I'd like to avoid super hero roleplay unless its people making up their own super heros using the hero system or like gurps or something.

I like watching groups get into D&D shenanigans.
>>
>>50302926
Acquisitions Inc is enjoyed by many, but it's the definition of beer & pretzels, so if that's not your thing you might not like it.
>>
>>50302957
>I've watched and listened to acquisitions inc stuff.
i think it might be his thing
>>
>>50302974
>my reading comprehension apparently went out the window
kms
>>
>>50302926
One shot maybe. They do recorded sessions with some very mild editing, and they do every system
>>
>>50302370
Any suggestions on how to make his work? I was looking over the Devotion Paladin's channel divinity Sacred Weapon as a similar thing I could give him, but I don't know how to make it believable.
>>
>>50303414
Take the tip off it and you've got a quarterstaff.
>>
>>50302370
If I was a life cleric I wouldn't sacrifice using a shield to use a spear.
>>
>>50298205

>Wish there was Fallen Paladin mechanics.

There is
>>
>>50303421
kek. It is a magical spear, though, so difficult to mess with, and if it were dismantled it would end up disrupting the enchantment. And there's still the issue of how to give benefits similar to Shillelagh or Sacred Weapon to a life cleric.

>>50303460
Spear can be one handed, and clerics can put their holy symbol on their shields. Since I don't think it makes any sense for S&B clerics and paladins being able to cast SM spells but not S only, I just hand-wave it.
>>
>>50303460
>>50303522
http://www.sageadvice.eu/2015/01/04/holy-symbol-on-shield/

paladins and clerics can cast spells with somatic components if their shield has their holy symbol on it

Also, if using a two-handed weapon they can simply cast by taking a hand off the weapon, assuming they have a holy symbol on their person

the-more-you-know!
>>
>only evil aasimar get +str

point buy makes me sad
>>
>>50299436

Even in the case of two characters being mechanically identical, it doesn't mean you're repeating a character.
>>
>>50299769

Well, to be fair, you could combine Glaive and Priest into a kenning, but it would mean something else
>>
Do Tritons get dark vision?

They come from the deepest darkest depths of the ocean. The have a racial ability that says they ignore the drawbacks of a deep underwater environment, which would certainly be immense darkness.

I am kind of shocked that they don't explicitly have darkvision
>>
>>50299813
>And out of battles it is even harder - with skills someone could be a knowledgeable expert on lore/local and give others insight or experienced artisan in specific craft, each characters mattered - in 5e they are all the same by proficiency.

The fuck.
>>
>>50303542
I was just refering to giving up the AC for extra damage. AC is so hard to get.
>>
File: spoopy tree.png (2MB, 924x896px) Image search: [Google]
spoopy tree.png
2MB, 924x896px
Does anyone have the Total Party Kill Handbook from 2CGaming?
It seems pretty good but I'm a poorfag.
>>
>>50303568
I don't think anyone would give up a shield to upgrade from d6 to d8 or from d8 to d10. They have other ways to increase damage. But I want to increase his to-hit bonus somehow, just don't know how to make it in a way that doesn't feel like I'm just buffing his character for the sake of helping him.
>>
>>50299813
I think your group would love GURPS.
>>
>>50303592
Give him the opportunity to infuse the magic from the spear into the weapon that he uses.
At a cost of course. (no not gold)
>>
>>50303593
Or Fantasy Craft.

I want to play fantasy craft so bad.
>>
>>50299436
The 5e rules don't really support what you want. They were deliberately watered down, and it's up to the DM to do more work to keep things interesting. There really isn't a good solution to this other than look for interesting homebrew.

Good luck.
>>
>>50303615
I want to play burning wheel, shadowrun, star wars, 40krpg, and lot5r so bad, but my group refuses to learn a new system.
>>
>>50297959
advantage is, like this >>50298016 anon, says, +3.325, don't listen to >>50298130

you can only have 1 advantage, ie if you were to get advantage from two different sources (target is paralyzed AND has faerie fire cast on itself), then only one is in effect.

you can also get disadvantage, for example from being afraid of the target, then you roll two d20 and take the worst. having advantage and disadvantage at the same time cancel each other out, and you roll normally - and if you have, let's say, two sources of advantage and one for disadvantage, it will still be a "neutral" roll.
>>
>>50298727
I hate to break it you anon, but this is /5eg/. Maybe you got lost?
>>
how do we fix sorcerers?

dragon sorcerers are somewhat okay, but wild magic is complete shit strength-wise, even though it sounds fun on paper. using mana points, which my group insists on doing, makes them even less powerful, taking away one of the possible uses of sorcery points.

the group I play with has houseruled a few things to make them more fun - the only thing I remember is that tides of chaos automatically trigger a wild surge, but to balance it out, surges do not happen otherwise.

another proposition was to make the wild surge trigger chance depend on spell level, 5% per level.

even then it seems underwhelming, as most wild surges are just fluff or downright dangerous. it was fun to play a wild sorcerer for a while because of the RANDUMBXDXDXD factor, but I'm glad I died and got to roll a real class instead.
>>
How broken would it be to let (dis)advantage stack?

Like maybe have a single advantage/disadvantage dice for overall beneficial or negative circumstances, and after that any advantage or disadvantage conferred by game mechanics (faerie fire or paralysis in the last example) adds to that. After counting the total number of advantages and disadvantages, you take the net result and roll that number plus one die.
>>
Anyone have a map of some sort Green Hag's hut?

I've been searching like a maniac all morning and cant find anything appropriate.

Preferably good quality for Roll20
>>
File: lair-of-witch-of-the-wood.jpg (1MB, 1972x1591px) Image search: [Google]
lair-of-witch-of-the-wood.jpg
1MB, 1972x1591px
>>50303685
And just as I write that, I find a great one.. If anyones interested pic related.
>>
>>50303682
I assume you are replying to me (>>50303649
) - I think limiting (dis)advantage to just one is not a bad idea at all, the only thing I don't like is that a single advantage can negate five disadvantages and vice versa. If you have more reasons to be disadvantaged than not, then you should have disadvantage.
If you are afraid of the target while wearing red-hot armor due to Heat Metal and are lying prone on the ground after having been tripped, then the target glowing purple shouldn't make you hit him normally.
>>
>>50300046
I wish my cleric player felt like this. He's just so disinterested in combat and keeps focusing on his failures. My players had a huge fight with a bunch of cultists and like 50 bullywugs. With his Spiritual Guardians, the bullywugs started to drop like flies all around him. During and after this fight we were all "Holy shit, cleric, that's awesome!", "Cleric MVP", etc, while he just shrugged it off as "Well, I'm just helping you clear the map so you don't have to keep track of as much."
>>
>>50300876

I've heard a lot about pathfinder furries recently. What is it all about?

I mean, it's not like 5e doesn't let you play beast people
>>
I want to be a Firbolg Tempest Cleric, worships some storm god.

How would yall make a Tempest cleric? They seem a bit scatter brained honestly. Martial weapons and heavy armor but absolutely nothing to compliment their increased martialness.

They come off as more blasty, but never get something like WIS to spells or anything.

Their "shock when hit" thing doesnt scale at all.

Are tempest clerics just bad? Seems like I'd be better just going war or light and focusing on martial or blasting
>>
How does one build encounters for large groups?

My regular group is 9 players. Currently we are nearing the end of a campaign, and battles are a mess - at level 9, a single round of combat takes forever and usually ends it all, unless the mobs have resistances and HP out the ass while causing status effects for free.

I will be taking over as the DM after new year's, and have already run a single adventure for just four players out of the group - it went quite smoothly, but even then I underestimated the party, as they almost managed to kill the villain at a point where I wanted them to be taken prisoner, and I had to literally run away while sending in the cavalry it was made clearly that reinforcements where on the way from the very start of the battle.

Is careful splitting of the party/sending especially carved out mobs against particular PCs the way to go if I don't want 9 people blasting a single enemy with all they have for 12 seconds?
The party is level 2, the campaign will probably end at level 5, we have always employed "story leveling".
>>
>>50300321
Nice. My party has a fighter/barb with 74 HP and an abjuration wizard with second highest HP at 54. Plus 18 HP for their Arcane Ward, so effectively 72 HP. Tanky as fuck.
>>
>>50303676
I don't really get the basis of this question. You ask how to fix sorcerers, then immediately admit it's only the specific gimmick of one subclass of three that you really think needs fixing. I feel like the fix to not being randumb is to not deliberately pick the subclass based around randumbness.
>>
>>50303790
9 players is guaranteed to be a shitshow. Split the group in half and have two DMs.
>>
>>50303768
War Clerics are really fun, especially when you already have a healer and don't need to care about keeping anybody alive.

Roll a dwarf and bash in your opponents' skulls for Armok, you will never look back.
>>
>>50301916

Be a Dwarf + one feat?
>>
>>50303801
Sorcerers need help regardless of subclass. Someone post the copypasta.
>>
>>50303821
I really hate how racial stat changes really push people away from race/class combinations like a Dwarf Wizard.

Fuck racial stats, make it a +1 at most. Make races differentiated by cool features, some of the 5e ones are barely worth shit.
>>
>>50303814
Apart from combat, the entire thing has been going well - the focus has been diplomatics, intrigue and brooding, and apart from occasional chaos, it does work.

And then, not everybody can show up at each session, so we usually have 6-7 people there and handwave the others suddenly disappearing.
>>
>>50302594

>we've been polite and courteous because he's the lord of the realm

He's an evil vampire whose raison d'être includes murder, pointless tyranny, torture and I think rape when he can get his hands on the reincarnation of the girl he's obsessed with.
>>
>>50303826
Not really arguing that point, but the post I replied to was all about wild magic except the first sentence, which asked how to fix sorcerers in general, so it seems like wild magic is what they really want "fixed".
>>
>>50303837
Yea i feel like with 5es whole non restrictive "its just a game have fun" thing racials suck as is

I let my players use any racial stat bonus with any race, but i know they're not going to just take the optimal stat and race for the class. The idea is to make cool race class combos gud

Obviously with this method Humans are completely changed. What was wotc thinking with humans man
>>
>>50303820
He decided to play Life Cleric and be the party's healer, now he's frustrated because he feels like a healbot. Also a very unconventional aaracokra life cleric that can only use light armor.
>>
>>50303768

Is he playing the Crestfallen Warrior from Dark Souls?

>>50303682

It's be against the spirit of the rule about advantage/disadvantage, and it would basically make the roll a guaranteed success or fail
>>
>>50303790

For 9 people, you'd need a LOT of enemies.
>>
>>50303869
It's just really hard to pin down what bonuses a human race should have, and let's face it, it's because humans are real and they're us, so it's weirder to try and claim we're all uniformly smart, or strong, or charismatic than for some fictional race of half-demons or bird people.
>>
>>50303837
>I really hate how racial stat changes really push people away from race/class combinations like a Dwarf Wizard.

What do you mean?
>>
File: 1479352447470.jpg (218KB, 828x1100px) Image search: [Google]
1479352447470.jpg
218KB, 828x1100px
Is griffon bro a paladin?
>>
>>50303906

Races aren't supposed to be uniform, though.

It's more "their average smart is a bit higher than our average smart"
>>
>>50303883
How would the roll be in anyway guaranteed?

How is it against the spirit of advantage/disadvantage? As far as I can remember, those rules not attacking was meant to prevent playing mother may I with the DM for circumstantial bonuses. You'll note that circumstantial bonuses like that are still capped. With the system I've proposed, to go beyond I've disadvantage or advantage, you'd have to have rules supporting it.
>>
>>50303917
Sure, but in game terms it's all the same, not even "take these 3 points and divide them between these two specific ability scores as you like". And even then, which ones do humans get? I would be totally cool with pinning it down and making it relative to the other races, but I just think the weird mental block of humans being real is probably why we have the crap regular 5e human and OP variant one.
>>
Rolled 8, 17, 14 = 39 (3d20)

>>50303923
>How would the roll be in anyway guaranteed?

2d20 keep best/worst increase the chances of success/failure, but 3d20 or higher makes it highly unlikely to not get a very high or very low number.

>How is it against the spirit of advantage/disadvantage?

It was made to avoid stacking modifiers
>>
>>50303946

I've never got why people thought regular 5e humans were crap.

>take these 3 points and divide them between these two specific ability scores as you like"

It is, if you use point buy
>>
>>50303973
I meant racial bonuses of course. And crap is a strong word, but you really only need to concern yourself with one major stat and a lesser one, unless you're going with a particularly MAD character, so you're just sort of missing out if you take the race with extra +1s that will rarely matter at the cost of a +1 where it really counts. Obviously if you're cool with that and want to be human for other reasons none of this applies. It just sucks to have to be a bit worse because you want to be human.
>>
>>50303966
>Let me roll once on tg, that'll constitute my statistical analysis

Of course the odds of hitting or missing appropriately grow, that's the entire point of doing this.

And stacking modifiers is fine if they have obvious rules pointing to them to prevent game delay. 5e combat is too simple already.

The only thing that would really have to be looked at is the helping rules for skill checks, and the help action for familiars and similar.
>>
>>50303869
>>50303837
It's designed like this so that you CAN play a half-orc warlock, and that would be a unique character, but people don't play them because they'd have slightly less charisma.

Dwarf wizard is perfectly fine - Hill dwarf has extra HP and can multiclass a level of fighter for heavy armour with no strength requirement.
Mountain dwarf can wizard with medium armour.
They also then get more con.

Dwarfs make more durable wizards. Good for abjuration wizards.

Just be more creative, and accept that the game isn't pathfinder where you put in 'I want to be a flying angel fairy cake' and get 'you are a flying angel fairy cake' out.
>>
>>50304019
>>Let me roll once on tg, that'll constitute my statistical analysis

It wasn't an analysis, it was an exemple.

>The only thing that would really have to be looked at is the helping rules for skill checks, and the help action for familiars and similar.

Opinion about this change of rule was asked, so I gave mine.

If your opinion is that the change's consequences don't bother you, then go for it.
>>
>>50303883
desu I never played Dark Souls but after watching a video on this Crestfallen Warrior... Holy shit, that's exactly like him! Though he's not roleplaying as a crestfallen character, that's just how the player himself acts from time to time. Everyone else is having a great time fighting vampires and blowing shit up while he worries about conserving his spells slots (to keep everyone alive), even if that hampers his own enjoyment of the game.
>>
>>50304040
I'm interested in your opinion as long as it is based on reasonable premises. So far you haven't demonstrated reason, just rote recitation of the original justification.
>>
>>50304038
I've seen this before but I'm not 100% on point with the rules. Doesn't heavy armor interfere with spellcasting?
>>
>>50304016

I honestly don't consider humans do be worse than the others. The racial bonus isn't that great.

Also, if you really want to have a character that can have any stats no matter which race they are, just use point buy and relocate the points you got as racial bonus elsewhere
>>
>>50304056
Technically yes, but nobody cares enough to enforce it
>>
>>50304060
I'm 99 percent sure point buy doesn't work that way. The bonuses are inherent, separate from the point buy points. Standard human would be ridiculous if it read "here's +5 to your main stat if you want it".
>>
>>50304056

Only if you're not trained in using them.

If you are trained in using the type of armor and have the stats for it, you can use it to cast spells.

Though it DOES require a significant investment for basically all casters to satisfy those conditions.

>>50304041

Sounds like the player is a negative/pessimitic person. Did he ever shows outright signs of depression?
>>
>>50304056
Not if you're proficient in it.
>>
File: kasen.gif (859KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
kasen.gif
859KB, 600x600px
/5eg/, quick! Help me get as much electricity themed monsters as possible!
>>
>>50304099
We play online, through roll20. We've never even met in person. But he is indeed quite pessimistic and I wouldn't be surprised if he had depression. I just don't feel qualified to deal with it, even more because I've only been playing D&D for about a year, so I don't have the same kind of experience in dealing with players as DM as people who have been playing for over a decade, like himself.
>>
>>50304199
A water elemental with an electric eel inside it
Air elemental with a lightning storm inside
Animated armour with shock pads on palms
Half blue dragon aurochs
>>
>>50304199
A fucking Behir, what else? Blue and Bronze dragons, storm giants, krakens? Will-o'-Wisps use electricity too...
>>
>>50304098

Well, let's see how it goes.

>You have 27 points to spend on your ability scores. The cost of each score is shown on the Ability Score Point Cost table. For example, a score of 14 costs 7 points. Using this method, 15 is the highest ability score you can end up with, before applying racial increases. You can't have a score lower than 8.

So, if you're human, all your stats would be at 9 from the basis, for free, saving you 6 ability points, giving you the equivalent of a total of 33 ability points.

So, with all stats at 9, you still dispose of 27 ability points. you can use 9 points to reach 16 (spreading your points among stats is not optional, give you can only go up to 15+ racial bonus), which leaves you with 18 points for your five other stats.

If you take dwarf, for exemple, you get +2 for your Con, saving you 2 ability points, for the equivalent of 29 ability points.

With five stats at 8 one at 10, and 27 points to spend, the dwarf can spend 9 points to have 17 in CON, or 9 points to have 15 in another stat. It'll leave him with 18 points for 5 stats, but if he wants to be as good as the base human in any of them, he'd have to spend one point that the human didn't have to.
>>
>>50304203

>I just don't feel qualified to deal with it,

Well, being here to talk with him if he has troubles and be supportive doesn't require qualification
>>
>>50304293

and if the dwarf wants to have 14 in a stat, he'd have to pay 7 points, while an human only needs to pay 5
>>
>>50304293
Racial stats are applied after base stats are determined.
>>
>low level group
>players need to find dirt on an elf noblewoman
>imply that the night would be the best time for them to infiltrate her room through NPCs
>offer to sell them a sleeping potion then make it easy to put it in her food
>they sneak in thinking she's sound asleep
>nobody remembers that elves are immune to magical sleep, even though one of them failed to bring her down with the Sleep spell in combat a while earlier
I'm new to DMing and I already love it. Next up: cursed items.
>>
>>50304334

Doesn't change the calculation, though.
>>
>>50304340

Kek
>>
>>50304365
It does though, because applying racial bonuses after point buy means the highest stat possible at level one is 17. The desirable end point for increasing a stat to max at level one, before race bonuses, is 15, which costs the same for every race.
>>
File: IMG_20161114_032300.jpg (57KB, 600x781px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161114_032300.jpg
57KB, 600x781px
>>50304199
This girl.
>>
everybody talks about point buy, what's wrong with rolling for stats?

I know it's kinda disliked when going for AL trash, but all people I've played with find it way more fun and "personal" than minmaxing with point buy.
>>
>>50304412
There isn't anything wrong with rolling for stats. Rolling, buying, arraying, etc all accomplish different things, each of which is a valid thing to want.
>>
>>50304340
What, did they all dump int?

You'd think any character with an int of 14+ would automatically recall that but that would be no fun, even if it actually makes sense
>>
>>50303768
>>50304203
Pessimistic players are such a pain.

They could have the entire party's gold with everyone else being broke and they'll still cry about being poor and not being able to afford what they want.
>>
>>50304199
Lightning Gremlins. Like in the second gremlins movie.
>>
>>50304491
>>50304236
>>50304217
This is all really good, thanks.
>>50304410
I have no idea what do I do with a nurse in a lightning tower
>>
File: 1477402452490.png (855KB, 1250x905px) Image search: [Google]
1477402452490.png
855KB, 1250x905px
I'm fairly new to 5e and i'm setting up a campaign that's very loosely tied to berserk. One of the characters will be looking for the behelit and the others are fully unaware of what this means.

What level do you think it should be activated? I need them to be high enough level that they can fight a bunch of monsters without dying immediately, but also low enough that they can't stomp them and leave unscathed.
>>
>>50304531
Never set the campaign around one PC.

If he dies, the campaign goes to shit.
If the others find out its about him, they'll feel like second class.
>>
Thoughts on this? Meant for bards only.

>Harmonic Lash - Cantrip, VS
>Make a melee spell attack at one target within 15 feet, dealing 1d8 thunder damage. If you are using an instrument as a focus, you may add your charisma bonus to the damage dealt. Increases to 2d8 damage at level 5, 3d8 damage at level 11 and 4d8 damage at level 17.

Basically an alternative to using a weapon that lets fighting with just an instrument as a focus more viable. Shouldn't allow lore bards to outshine a valor in melee though, I don't think.
>>
anyone convert Dark Sun for 5e yet? i fuckin hate Forgotten Realms
>>
>>50303870
What did he even expect?
>>
>>50304568
What do you need converted? Just run your game in the dark sun setting.
>>
>>50304547
I'd say lower the damage to 1d6+cha instead. Valor bards get 2 attacks with 1d8 each, but use dex for both attack rolls and damage mod, while charisma is still their main stat.
>>
>>50304623
Ah yeah good point, I was comparing it to more martial types in the back of my head I suppose.
>>
>>50304659
or, you could houserule vicious mockery to use cha mod as well (so xd4+cha and imposed disadvantage), but only if the player actually tries to mock the enemy.
>>
>>50304568
There are a few going round for free. Also look at "Dead Worlds" on the DM's guild, which seems to have the whole document in the sample view.
>>
>>50304685
I think mockery is quite good as it is. Leave the rp as just an opportunity to rp and not try to angle it for damage bonuses. Misses the point of what I was trying to do anyway.
>>
>>50304685
>RP giving mechanical advantages like that
GW please leave WHFB alone
>>
>>50303870
Actually, being a life cleric means you should heal more with less castings and have more spells available for other things. That's only really noticeable after getting the maximize healing feature, though.
>>
>>50302926
Threshold by d6 mafia
>>
>>50304687
In fact, sample is attached.

Interesting "sample".
>>
>>50304952
Did I say sample?
I just removed the "Sample File" stamps, so now it's "clean"
>>
>>50304381

Point is, reaching any score for the humans will cost one point less, once the racial modifiers are applied.

So, a dwarf who wants to have 14 in dex will have to pay one point more than a human, and the human can spend this point in another manner.
>>
>>50304987
Sweet, stick it in the Mega.
>>
https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Thri-Kreen_(5e_Race)

Does this seem overpowered in any way?
Thinking of bugging it up for a new campaign and this option looked fun, but has a lot of benefits.

Could it be more balanced if it lost Leap and Chameleon but gained +1 Int instead of +Wis?
>>
>>50304547

Can a female Bard use it to look like a dominatrix?
>>
>>50303870
>>50304575

>Ask Life to give you lemons

>complain you hate lemonade
>>
File: Chrono Trigger Prototype.jpg (1MB, 1368x2332px) Image search: [Google]
Chrono Trigger Prototype.jpg
1MB, 1368x2332px
>want to create my own setting based on a world that already went through the apocalypse and has gone through a wild rebirth/growth due to nearly 0 interruption from the sentient races that were in hiding or magical sleep (i'm just thinking of ideas as I go man). In the last few hundred years the races have started to come about again, albeit in tiny, near extinct numbers for some and have had to slowly grow again in this incredibly fertile but volatile world

>no idea where to start

i never done homebrew before, gimme some advice
>>
>>50304987
Added bookmarks.
>>
>>50305153

Well, you've already started.

Maybe make a list of what species there is, in which state they are, and where they live?
>>
I don't have the PHB on me. Are there any wizard spells that are 4th level or lower that give other teammates advantage on attacking a target?
>>
File: 1437083519432.jpg (139KB, 650x939px) Image search: [Google]
1437083519432.jpg
139KB, 650x939px
>>50305311
ahh ok

humans
elves (a setting-specific variety of wild elves only)
half-elves of the above kind
halfings
orcs
half-orcs
goblins
hobgoblins
kobolds
lizardfolk
something akin to genasi
kenku, though maybe setting-refluffed

specifically, dragonborn never existed, dwarves made pacts to save their people (in a manner of speaking) with elemental beings but for a price of pulling them deep into the earth and warping their bodies, so dwarves as we know them are gone. Gnomes slowly died off as what few remained cross-bred with halflings. Why there is one kind of elf is related to the apoc but not completely.

Some cultures get changed, an example is, even kobold numbers were brought to near-extinction lows, they changed to work in smaller communities, might make them something like the vistani in that they travel together in small caravan communities. Obviously 99% of everything in my head is still up in the air.
>>
>>50304041
Give him the advice I give everytime people get worried that I need healing or rescuing "Dont worry about it just kill"
>>
>>50304509
Not really the nurse part, but the 'sadistic lightning sorcerer using lightning as it's less lethal, but more painful and humiliating' gist.

Honestly, it's nice when characters actually have a reason they're tied to an element.
>>
>>50305848
>>50304410

It's a nice pic of a nurse, but she doesn't look like Iris Heart
>>
>>50300633

Something I've just seen on a video: hire someone to carry a torch
>>
>>50305999
>iris heart will never be your group healer
>>
Help /5eg/, I need an idea for a multi class that is viable at total level 5.
>>
>>50306093
H I R E L I N G S
hirelings

Hirelings are a pretty good idea, interesting that it took this long for anybody to rec one. Remember that they are people too.
>>
Can a Gazer familiar use his eyebeams in combat, because they aren't an attack, but an ability.
>>
>>50300633
Hirelings are not a good idea, as no commoner would be insane enough to wonder into combat infront of you even for a decent wage.

Speak to your GM and invest interest into either getting a Driftglobe magic item, or Goggles of Night-vision, they are fairly common and only worth about 100-200gp each so tracking down a set is easy enough. One of the campaigns has you find a crate with 20 pairs in, so they are fairly mass-produce common items.
>>
>>50306093
>>50306145
Hirelings do not enter combat or dangerous dungeons.

The cost to hire someone to do something so suicidally dangerous is a fair equal cut to the PC's of all spoils and treasures, artwork, coin and magic items included. So fairly impractical.
>>
>>50306125
Moondruid 2, Barbarian 3.
Shapeshift into beasts and then rage.
>>
>>50306171
The torch gives light (albeit only dim) out to 40 feet, an you could argue that a pole could extend it by 5 ft
They don't have to get right up front and tank for you.

>>50306179
Nah. We don't pay people in combat an equal wage to everybody else, they didn't in the past, they don't in the book (merc hirelings are explicitly a thing to help fight hobgoblin armies), etc. Peasants will enjoy 2sp/day to merely hold a torch or even if you demand they be skilled to prevent immediate routing, 2gp/day.
Or is there some blurb somewhere in one of 5e books that explicitly says "hirelings will not do anything in combat"?
>>
>>50306149
A gazer familiar is only obtainable through roleplay, not the find familiar spell. It can therefore attack.
>>
>>50306211
Pretty sure there is a blurb that says "Hirelings will not enter dangerous situations." but I may be wrong, I'll have a look.
>>
>>50306253
Can't find anything substantial about it, itmentions skilled labourers as being mercenaries so I imagine you could hire one to be an assistant/lantern holder for 2gp a day. The question is they may ask for say a few months pay up front, 200gp to hire a torch guy for a couple months, who might get killed in the first dungeon is easily spent on a minor magical item to give you darkvision.
>>
>>50306145
>>50300633

[1/2]
>Kobold Candlemaster

>"Light be bad... but Surfacers needs it, and so it's power for us. And power be good."

> Small humanoid (kobold), lawful evil
>Armor Class 12
>Hit Points 13 (3d6 + 3) Speed 30 ft.

STR 7 (-2) DEX 15 (+2) CON 12 (+1) INT 8 (-1) WIS 7 (-2) CHA 8 (-1)

>Senses darkvision 60 ft., passive Perception 10
>Languages Common, Draconic

>Skills Perception +0

>Challenge 1/4 (50 XP)

>Pack Tactics.
The kobold has advantage on an attack roll against a creature if at least one of the kobold's allies is within 5 feet of the creature and the ally isn't incapacitated.

>Sunlight Sensitivity.
While in sunlight, the kobold has disadvantage on attack rolls, as well as on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on sight.

ACTIONS
>Dagger. Melee or Ranged Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft. or range 20/60 ft., one target. Hit: 4 (ld4 + 2) piercing damage.

>Sling. Ranged Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, range 30/120 ft., one target. Hit: 4 (ld4 + 2) bludgeoning damage.
>>
>>50306253
>>50306328
He may be thinking of the retainers from the variant Noble background.

As you said though, a mercenary could be hired, and as long as they're staying in the back they should be fine, at least at low levels.

Once you've got a fair chunk of gold though, it's going to be far cheaper to buy a magical item or hire a wizard to cast continual flame on something.
>>
>>50301296
>double the amount of damage dice you roll
nigga no it doesn't
crits add another of the weapon's damage die, not double it
>>
File: mfw you don't read the book.jpg (290KB, 889x500px) Image search: [Google]
mfw you don't read the book.jpg
290KB, 889x500px
>>50306521
>When you score a critical hit, you get to roll extra dice for the attack's damage against the target. RolI all of the attack's damage dice twice and add them together. Then add any relevant modifiers as normal.
PHB pg. 196
>>
>>50306407

[2/3]

>Torch: Melee Attack: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft. Hit: 4 (ld4 + 2) bludgeoning damage + 1 fire damage

>Candle mastery:
The kobold uses one of the following options (roll a d8 or choose one); the kobold can use each one no more than once per day:

>1. Oil.
The kobold hurls a flask of Oil. Ranged Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, range 20/60 ft. On a hit, the target is covered in oil. If the target takes any fire damage before the oil dries (after 1 minute), the target takes an additional 5 fire damage from the burning oil. The kobold can also pour a flask of oi!lon the ground to cover a 5-foot-square area, provided that the surface is leveI. If lit. the oil burns for 2 rounds and deals 5 tire damage to any creature that enters the area ar ends its turn in the area, A creature can take this damage only once per turn

> 2. Alchemist's Fire.
The kobold throws a flask of alchemist's fire. Ranged Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, range 5/20 ft., one target. Hit: 2 (1 d4) fire damage at the start of each of the target's turns. A creature can end this damage by using its action to make a DC 10 Dexterity check to extinguish the flames.

>3. Basket of Glow Worms.
The kobold throws a small basket into a 5-foot-square space within 20 feet of it. A swarm of insects (glow worms) with 11 hit points emerges from the basket and rolls initiative. At the end of each of the swarm's turns, there's a 50 percent chance that the swarm disperses. As long as the swarm doesn't disperse, they emit a light equivalent to the one of a torch.
>>
>>50298527
>Fighter 12/Rogue 3/Ranger 5
>Fighter 11/Rogue 5/Ranger 4
>Fighter 6/Rogue 3/Ranger 11
Anyone know which multiclass is the better one?
>>
So, I wish to DM a campaign soon. I like the idea of using models, and have a pretty vast Warhammer Beastmen army to draw enemies from. Are there any good stats for D&D beastmen enemies, or if not, a good statblock to just attach to the model?
>>
>>50306687
>>Fighter 12/Rogue 3/Ranger 5

Extra attack 2 and archetype feature at lvl 12
Rogue features like expertise , cunning action and first subclass feature
Ranger features such as spell casting, FE, another fighting style and first two archetype features
>>
>>50298527
>>50306687
Do note ranger at level 5 or 11 loses some spell slots if you become an AT or EK.

If you're using UA ranger, your DM should not allow it.

Fighter 11/Rogue 5/+whatever else you then want to do is quite recommendable, especially for battlemaster.
>>
>>50306925
>If it's an UA ranger DM should not allow it

Except for beastmaster scaling nothing is broken there.
And go away with your anti-multiclass autism.
If it was a multiclass like Devotion Palading/Fiend pact warlock then i'd understand why someone would be against it but you are overreacting to an UA that actually fixed a class.
>>
>>50307008
>Except for beastmaster scaling nothing is broken there.
Yeah and if you're allowing optional stuff (MCing, the UA - which is also a WIP) it's not hard at all to just say the Beastmaster only scales with Ranger levels. Not like it's some arduous task to keep it "balanced."
>>
>>50306534

[3/4]

>4. Spiked Lantern
The kobold hurls a burning lantern, specifically designed to hurt in those case. Ranged Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, range 5/20 ft., one target. Hit: 2 (1d4) piercing damage + 3 (1d4) fire damage.

>5. Frigid Blue Crystal

Among the strange territories of the Underdark, it is not always wise to rely on heat sources to see. Kobold Candlemasters use those cold blue crystals, found in dark caves where Brown Moss abounds, as alternative and sometime as emergency weapons. Although they lose their power quickly when in contact with heat source. Ranged Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, range 5/20 ft., one target. Hit: 7 (2d6) cold damage.

When not used as a weapon, or for one turn after being used as one, the frigid blue crystal glows like a candle.

>6. Failed Alchemist's Fire

Testament of the kobold's bumbling training in alchemy, this disgusting brew is the mix of their failed attempts at creating Alchemist's Fire. While it would seem logical to simply throw it away, the travelers in the Underdark are often too low on ressources to allow themselves this luxury. And, after all, they do throw it away, after a fashion.

Ranged Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, range 5/20 ft., one target. If hit,he target must make a DC 9 Constitution saving throw. On a failed save, the target retches and can't take actions for 1 minute. The target can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the effect on itself on a success. A creature that doesn't need to breathe or is immune to poison automatically succeeds on the saving throw.

>7. Midnight Oil

The Candlemaster adds a special kind of oil to one of their lanterns. A cloud of thick smoke pours out in a 60-foot radius from the lantern. The cloud's area is heavily obscured. Last one minute. Creatures with unprotected eyes within the radius must make a Constitution save DC 15 or be blinded for 1 minute. If they exit the radius, they can do a saving throw at the end of each of their turn,
>>
>>50307008
This is SPECIFICALLY UA ranger which is NOT balanced for multiclassing.

Almost any class can viably multiclass into ranger given how they get several benefits that benefit almost any character at all.

I completely advocate for multiclassing, but multiclassing into the current iteration of ranger is stupid. I hope you're prepared to change to the official final version of ranger once they nerf the front-loadedness of it.
Thread posts: 406
Thread images: 38

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.