[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

System for corporate game

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 13

File: headshot.jpg (90KB, 736x1104px) Image search: [Google]
headshot.jpg
90KB, 736x1104px
Help me find a system, /tg/.
I've played or familiar with D&D2-3, GURPS 4, (o/n)WoD-Exalted, Ars Magica 4-5. I want a universal system to run a modern or near future game centered on megacorps. Players would work for different departments in a corp and would compete with each other by capturing and/or destroying whole markets and third-world nations, starting proxy wars with kebabs and making transnational trade treaties to get those foreigners back into debt slavery and minimal wages. Obviously it would be based more on social and intellectual skills and less on murder-hoboing.
I need something like GURPS, but without GURPS loopholes.
Specifically, GURPS does shitty job on price fluctuations and doesn’t account for exchange rates.
GURPS has a problem with IQ (it’s too generic and helicoptered to differ mechanically between, let’s say, office workers with 3 and 6 years of work experience on similar positions; it doesn’t different well enough between biological wits and education; I don’t want to rescale all skills when IQ is raised; I also don’t want to stimulate power-gaming around a choice of raising IQ or skills – in this environment IQ would be a no-brainer).
Of course I can house rule these things myself. But I thought, maybe someone would suggest a system where these things are already okay to begin with.
>>
File: apLrDr9_460s.jpg (26KB, 460x258px) Image search: [Google]
apLrDr9_460s.jpg
26KB, 460x258px
>>
There's literally a game called Corporation RPG. It might be a little more wetworks than you might like, but you should still check it out.
>>
>>
File: 2843db_by_pascalcampion-d79sedx.jpg (100KB, 740x1081px) Image search: [Google]
2843db_by_pascalcampion-d79sedx.jpg
100KB, 740x1081px
>>50293057
Thanks, I'll check it out.
>>
>>
>>
>>50292689
I should think you'd want your game to model their financial resources more than their individual traits. So when they invest their whole slush fund in arming a terrorist group, they haven't got anything left to bribe that dictator in the neighboring country, at least not until next quarter.

Seems like it would kill the fun to just have players make a "persuasion roll". If they are managing a multinational corporation, could you not simply assume that they are among the most socially adept people in the world?

"the game" would seem to be about managing resources and calculating risk, moreso than modelling exactly how personally magnetic and intelligent a character is.

Reign has a robust system for domain management. Maybe that would inspire you.
>>
>>
OP, since you mentioned GURPS I thought I would mention Social Engineering, SE: Pulling Rank, Boardroom and Curia (b&c in particular) are all designed to help with this kind of thing if you're not familiar with them already. Add mass combat for the proxy wars and etc.

The IQ thing can be handled in a number of ways, in particular by leaning on experience-based rolls that do not allow Talent or etc. and are rather contests based on relative skill level of actual professional experience (I forget where this is covered but I know it is somewhere). Also skill adaptation and etc. particularly with Will. Social Engineering's social techniques and styles also go a long way towards solving this, so each character could have specialized approaches to each skill use; combined with talents and experience based rolls this would IMHO alleviate your issue almost entirely without having to go outside the rules (if you don't want to).

All that said, I don't think there is any system I've heard of which simulates things to the degree at which you're looking for. Most of them like ORE, Fate, etc. could do what you are asking but do so by glossing over details and solving these questions and issues abstractly. If you don't mind this, Fate Accelerated could help you as that rules set expects similarly skilled characters who just approach and tackle things in different ways which is what makes them unique.

Hope this helped some, good luck. Also if you are curious about the rules stuff for GURPS I mentioned vaguely, I would recommend voicing your issues above on the sjgames.com forums. Those guys are super helpful and can point to existing solutions with precision and detail, or help you create new solutions as needed.
>>
>>50293770
Money would be important, of course. But skills would be critical for persuasion, forced negotiations, finding double accounting, market speculations, PR, lawsuits, etc. I'm going for a more cinematic corpwars rather then down-to-life "saving millions on fools, clips and slutty secretaries" approach.
>>
File: 67b165fd5b32328f.jpg (63KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
67b165fd5b32328f.jpg
63KB, 600x450px
>>50293770
Oh, and thanks for mentioning Reign. I've been going to check it for a long time.

>>50293918
Thank you for your suggestions. I've seen B&C (it's pretty bad, desu, I can see it's use only in quick-and-dirty creation of random npc groups) and SE (it expands core GURPS rules while leaving them to generalistic for my taste and not fixing problems I've outlined before). I'll check SE:PR.

I'll also check Fate, thanks.
>>
>>
>>
File: pia_corporate_ad_by_creavity.jpg (147KB, 1024x760px) Image search: [Google]
pia_corporate_ad_by_creavity.jpg
147KB, 1024x760px
>>
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.