[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Darkest Dungeon

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: ddfight.jpg (242KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
ddfight.jpg
242KB, 1920x1080px
Hello, /tg/.

I'm thinking about GMing a campaign based on the game Darkest Dungeon, but I need help making it happen. What I thought was:

>the darkest dungeon and the game has already been cleared
>the players are lvl 0 characters from the roster that didnt get to fight any battles and are now unemployed
>the battles would work almost exactly as they do in the game, with positioning and stress being very important
>the players would explore the locations and cities surrounding the darkest dungeon, clearing new dungeons themselves
>the armor/weapon/skill upgrades also work like they do in the game, as would the quirks
>XP gain would be faster since I want this to last 1~3 sessions only

I'm playing it with a few friends, online.
Would this work? What is the best system for it? Any ideas?
>>
File: 1478111959714.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
1478111959714.pdf
1B, 486x500px
i just asked this a few days ago.

A lot of the advice given was basically "Find a way make non combat interesting" simple enough.

and secondly "narration is key" just like the games narrator who commented on things, be cryptic and the like.

As for system, /tg/ recommends legends of the flame princess. somebody created a home-brew for Darkest Dungeon, don't feel obligated to use this system if it doesn't suit you.
>>
>>50289889
Lamentations of the flame princess, sorry.

>>50289275
and I'm gonna lurk because i would really love more tips on running it as well
>>
>the darkest dungeon and the game has already been cleared

literally why

the whole point of the atmosphere of the game is its grimness

if the DD does not exist any longer all dungeons feel less threatening since there's no darkness outside of them

my point is: have something so grim that its grimness makes everything grim
>>
>>50289910
You may be right. An alternative setting:
>the wagon that was taking them to the hamlet was ambushed, and now you have to deal with the effects of the DD, but on the near vicinities
Sounds like the beginning of the game, but it gives room for the players to reach higher levels and interact with new ambients and NPCs before getting to the hamlet and possibly facing the DD.
>>
>>50289275
try to think small, if you want 1-3 sessions try to hammer out a single plot to follow, a goal they have to complete. instead of just going into warrens then ruins then cove. make it a deep delve from warrens that eventually leads into the ruins ending at a boss of sorts each session.
>>
If you want to simulate the tactical approach of the games, Strike! is pretty good. A bit more complex characters/combat (grid based), but makes up in simplicity of mechanics (d6 instead of d100).

It's also got some very, very brutal rules variants.
>>
>>50290368
Stop shilling Strike!

Why does /tg/ keep shilling Strike!?
>>
>>50290825
Because TACTICS! SYNERGY! ABILITIES!

Things that Darkest Dungeon characters have built in, but is usually lacking from OSR.
>>
Recently there has been a book release called dungeon crawl classics. Its based on old dnd and revised so New people can pick it up.
>>
>>50292117
DCC is good if you want to play a bunch of rabble who smacked an orc to death with a baker's shovel before earning level 1.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.