[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ D&D Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 421
Thread images: 48

>Latest News:
-New Unearthed Arcana: Bard Colleges: http://media.wizards.com/2016/dnd/downloads/UA_Bard.pdf
-Volo's Guide to Monsters out in the trove!

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
https://mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
https://mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>/tg/ character sheets
https://mega.nz/#F!x0UkRDQK!l-iAUnE46Aabih71s-10DQ

Last Session: >>50265215
>>
File: kobard.png (381KB, 866x692px) Image search: [Google]
kobard.png
381KB, 866x692px
Rate my character idea.

>kobold bard, who gets by on his draconic Charisma, in spite of his terrible singing

>it turns out that he's actually a merchant, who primarily uses his magic to make back shady alley deals, which is why he never seems to have spell slots when there's a battle

>It turns out that he's actually a she, and humans are just shit at telling reptile sexes apart

>it turns out that a surprising number of halflings and gnomes are attracted to reptiles, and her side business has a healthy dose of prostitution

>it turns out that she's actually a warlock, and the deals she's been cutting have been to collect souls for her patron

I want to go a level deeper, but this is where I run out of ideas

I also am fine with taking out level 4 if that would be too weird, this isn't really my magical realm or anything
>>
>>50273660

I know it isn't your magical realm...but it really, really feels like your magical realm.
>>
File: MAGICNSHIT.png (220KB, 730x424px) Image search: [Google]
MAGICNSHIT.png
220KB, 730x424px
How would you make a lunatic archmage's magical funhouse for the party to explore?
>>
File: disgusting.jpg (76KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
disgusting.jpg
76KB, 600x450px
>mfw a friend of mine wants to do a character cursed with an evil split personality
>>
File: mad-mage-1.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
mad-mage-1.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>50273678
I ran this for my players not too long ago. Was actually quite fun. You could probably edit it to be a funhouse without much difficulty at all. I was pleasantly surprised at how much it blew their minds.

>>50273672
Really, I promise!
>>
So I've tried running Curse of Strahd before, but the players kept starting side quests with never finishing them and ultimately getting way in over their heads. I'm planning on running it again and using the mists to keep them in areas that are relatively safe for their level. What are some tips for running a fun and solid game of Return to Ravenloft?
>>
>>50273660
>this isn't my magical real or anything
Only because you aren't a DM
>>
>>50273753
only introduce hooks to quests they can handle
>>
File: 1447813202827.jpg (48KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1447813202827.jpg
48KB, 500x500px
The next campaign guide is going to be Planescape, it'll focus almost entirely on Sigil, a city that is laid out like a giant Labyrinth.
Another book that's a rules expansion called something along the lines of X's Universal Survival Guide, this will contain lots of new players options, more mundane items, skills, feats, more hexcrawing/caravan rules and of course spelljammers.

There's lots of reasons why: surveys, interviews, unearthed arcana and hints this what's coming. The new Barbarian primal paths were a big hint on what's to come, especially if you played Planescape: Torment.
Also, the next campaign book is going to be inhouse again, that means there's probably references to it within the core books like Ravenloft was.
>>
>>50273904
More citation needed on the first bit, rather than just been a product of conclusions based on conjecture. Undermountain is also referred to as a labyrinth.

>Also, the next campaign book is going to be inhouse again
Good, frankly speaking, the out-of-house productions were shit compared to the inhouse ones.
>>
>>50273660
Sounds dumb as shit
>>
>>50273726
As long as he becomes an NPC under the DMs control when it surfaces
>>
>>50273753
Let the dumb bastards die
>>
>>50273904
Presumably a Sigil adventure
>>
Is there a Dungeonology scan available? Can't find it anywhere.
>>
>>50274119
Dungeonology is a kid's book with pop-up elements, that has little to do with 5e as a game. It's unlikely that there will ever be a scan of it.
>>
>>50274119
It's a pop-up book anon. For children.
>>
File: Pen Ward DnD 2015.jpg (137KB, 621x857px) Image search: [Google]
Pen Ward DnD 2015.jpg
137KB, 621x857px
>>50273977
Undermountian as campaign guide is very unlikely after the disaster of Out of the Abyss, according to surveys, reviews and adventure league. Groups really hate being trapped underground filled with madness it seems. Hiring the adventure time creator for Undermountian would also be very silly and unnecessary, when WotC has lots and lots of authors capable of writing Forgotten Realms.

Chris Perkins in interviews loves spelljammers and planescape. They probably hired Pendleton Ward to write about the planes with Perkins, he seems the type that would be perfect to write about such a weird place.
>>
>>50274148
Didn't they confirm that they were doing Adventure Time over twitter?
>>
>>50274148
Mind posting all that information? OotA wasn't bad, it's certainly better than a lot of the other 5e adventures.

More Planescape will be excellent however, moreso than more FR.
>>
File: codename dust.png (19KB, 545x285px) Image search: [Google]
codename dust.png
19KB, 545x285px
>>50274148
Going through his Twitter, that was codename Dust, not Labyrinth.

Which could be a Dark Sun (dust = desert) or Eberron (Lords of Dust) adventure.

But you shouldn't go off the codenames anyway, since SKT was "Dagger" and Perkins' interview hints for that were Eberron to a T (pulpy, barbarians, airship).

It's fun to speculate, though. I'd love Planescape, Dark Sun, OR Eberron.
>>
>>50274193
>Which could be a Dark Sun (dust = desert) or Eberron (Lords of Dust) adventure.
So we're either getting Thri-Kreen or Warforged.
>>
Wasn't SKT codenamed Dagger?
Yeah, about those codenames.
>>
>>50274148
>weirdly enough i had a dream about pendletonscape the other night
>>
>>50274132
>>50274140

Holy cow. I actually thought it was a rules-light sourcebook of some kind.
>>
>>50273731
Wow, that looks like almost what I'm looking for! Now I just need a big, complex puzzle for them to solve as they walk through the house.
>>
>>50274193
>>50274222
Dust could equal Dustmen.
>>
so what do we want to see in 5e planescape?

Ive been brewing it myself recently. Ive promoted Spelleaters, Children of the Vine and Ring Givers to full factions, rolling indeps anarchists and chaosmen together ( for now, they will factor heavily into my later acts of the story) And rolling signers and ciphers together. The harmonium is next on the chopping block.

Can we talk about Sodkillers and Sons of Mercy? I need some ideas for this
>>
>>50274396
Not being familiar with the specifics of Planescape, I'd like one product that gives a good rundown of the setting's elements with mechanics updated for 5e. Anything to get into it easily, combined with a suggested reading list of their past products in there.
>>
so how do we fix martial multiclass?
that other guy's idea was dumb as shit and makes no sense on the context of 5e.
>>
>>50274396
That's your own honebrewed PS, but the factions in PS were based on philosophies and schools of thought. Getting them rid of them and merging them willynilly means you don't really understand PS.
>>
>>50274396
They will never feed into all this bullshit you're spouting. They're going to produce a planescape that is marketable and generic. You need to learn to deal with it.
>>
File: master-outer-world-colour[1].png (187KB, 1126x1071px) Image search: [Google]
master-outer-world-colour[1].png
187KB, 1126x1071px
>>50274244
If you run the phrase "the next book is codename dagger" through a cryptographic substitution algorithm that is based of letter frequency, you get the phrase "sde nefs httu lm rtoenace oaiiew" which sounds vaguely German. Now in German, the word 'Dust' is 'Staub' which run through that same cypher comes out as 'msah.' Now that is CLEARLY 'massah' which is the word 'Master' through a heavy accent.

This is clearly a reference to slave. And we know which setting has slaves.

Mystara. That's right, the next sourcebooks is going to be about the salt mines of Boldavia.
>>
>>50274488
What the fuck are you on about?
>>
>>50274488
Give fighters another feature at 5th level so it's not completely dead for multiclassing.
>>
File: 1365100231961.gif (939KB, 180x155px) Image search: [Google]
1365100231961.gif
939KB, 180x155px
>>50274493
Well, okay then.
>>
>>50274493
I kek'd.
>>
>>50274493
Hyborea...is Conan on Mystara?
>>
File: 1442413908877.jpg (609KB, 1379x1379px) Image search: [Google]
1442413908877.jpg
609KB, 1379x1379px
>>50274493
>which sounds vaguely german
>>
File: 5574-11011-3082.jpg (24KB, 491x727px) Image search: [Google]
5574-11011-3082.jpg
24KB, 491x727px
>>50273660
>>
>>50274489
Everything i've added or modified is set up within the aftermaths of the faction war and moving in sects from outside the cage.

I like the idea that Chaosmen and Anarchists get lumped in with Indeps. They are three flavors of independance.

My custom faction granted abilities sometimes offer a choice, so indeps can cover the three philosophys. The Children of the Vine offer a (mutagenic) rage or the ability to speak druidic and gain a familiar who can use druidcraft. These advance into improved rages or a animal companion or eventual cadre of barbarians.

I've devided the arc of my campaign into 5 sections right now. At the end of the second section and begining of the 4th there will be elections in sigil. The first act will result in the Ring Givers and Harmonium being merged and the Mercykillers splitting and facisim sweeping the cage, and the second act will be the death of a faction of the players choice ( Mercykillers, Minds Eye, Children or Spelleaters) and Chaosmen being given the vote. Coninciding with this will be general heightened chaos in sigil ( Blink doors!) and maybe some sort of Slaad march. Basically the wheel going to shit and rousing out all the really terrible stuff.
>>
>>50274617
Faction War and its aftermath was widely considered to be shit and terrible. Sure if you want to add to it.
>>
>>50274655
I definitely dont like all the factions disbanding or moving into secrecy. The Chaosmen shenanigans will probobly play out like a faction war ( It will be the anarch's fault of course) but factions all fleeing/disbanding will be the bad end. If i throw enough aboleths and headcrabs my players might take enough agency upon themselves to split the Signers and Ciphers back up again.

No philosophy deleted, just a few added.

Ring Givers are the pusified masses. Middle Voters.

Children of the Vine are the drunks and stoners of the world, controlled and weaponized by a militant druid sect who wants society to crumble

Spelleaters/incantificers i need to expand the lore on or just research further. They are mentioned in a number of source books though.

I'm not trying to go full retard with the lore here, I'm not elevating the cult of the lady to a full faction lol
>>
>>50273660
truly awful in every way
>>
>>50273660
What so you're just going to be a warlock pretending to be a merchant pretending to be a bard why not just pick one of those 3 things
>>
>>50274900
i agree its truly awful but im pretty sure they are rolling straight lock its just layers of story on top of that.
>>
What are your thoughts on Storm King's Thunder?

I'm thinking of DMing it for a group that never played D&D. I have little experience DMing, most of it, in homebrew settings.
>>
How well do Paladin and Barbarian multiclass?
>>
>>50275210
On the one hand, not being able to cast spells while raging means some of your smiting spells are off-limits then.

On the other hand, raging is great defensively and Reckless Attack lets you crit-fish twice as efficiently.

But then again, you'll have fewer spell slots for those smites.

But, since you won't be casting spells while raging, all of your spell slots are good for nothing but smiting while raging.

So it's probably okay, but I wouldn't dib too deep into Barbarian if you do.
>>
>>50275210
Pretty well if you plan on just smiting and being a meatshield but you miss out on consecration spells, rage and aura is ultimate tank mode though.

Gnome, ancients oath and bear totem would be total overkill.
>>
>>50275210
You're gonna need at least these before racial adjustments:
>STR 14 DEX 14 CON 14 CHA 13

You're gonna want to go Paladin > Barbarian, because the paladin's lower levels give you nothing really useful that isn't tied to the class level. Barbarian is simply the better dip. You're also stuck with medium armor, so you'll need that DEX 14. You won't be able to cast, so smite all day, every day.

Rage-Reckless Attack/Vow of Enmity-GWM-Smite work like a charm in dealing lots of damage.

And don't forget, if you multiclass any number of levels into barbarian, you character is a full-combat character, with very little usefulness in anything else but fighting.
>>
>>50275444
Unless you multiclass into it from rogue or something.
>>
>>50275444
Why would you need dex?
>>
>>50275210
They don't have alignment restrictions anymore?
>>
>>50275462
Alignment means jack and shit in 5e. There's one spell that I know of that cares about alignment (Glyph of Warding), and sometimes there are magic items that care about them, but that's it.
>>
>>50275462
nope, the only class related restrictions are for bladesinger (elf) and battlerager (dwarf)
>>
>>50275518
i tried to say that the only restrictions are racial but i'm retarded
>>
>>50273628
>>50273833
>>50275311
>The one thing you've done that I like is making it so asi features happen automatically.
Yeah, that seemed like something that should happen, for sure.

>Take that and make extra attack features stack and that's all the fixing multiclassing needs.
While that would be an improvement over the default, I'm not convinced it goes far enough.

>Your motivations are stupid.
>Extra attack is discrete, but so are most class level features.
I'd personally rather continuous scaling, rather than large discrete chunks, where damage is concerned. I see it like the inverse of hp, rather than "just another class feature".

>Your Math is off
Oh? I tweaked the spreadsheet that was shared yesterday to calculate the numbers. Ah! It was counting Action Surge in the calculations for fighters by default and I didn't realize it.

Is it only off for fighter, or do you also see something wrong with the others?

>I haven't even touched on monk
I haven't spent as much time on monk as on the others. I'll go through it again and double-check the math. Thanks!
>>
>>50274488
If you get more than two extra attack features from different classes, you can use a bonus action to attack with disadvantage; if you're two weapon Attacking this attack doesn't use your Bonus Action but can only be used once per round.

If you get more than three extra attack features from different classes, you can use your reaction to make another attack with disadvantage; if you're two weapon Attacking this attack doesn't use your Reaction but can only be used once per round.

Done. Keeps in line the action economy, you really have to dedicate your turn to attacking a lot.

--OR--

If you get another Extra attack feature, increase your critical hit range by 1(19-20) with weapons.
Surprisingly good damage DPR wise and doesn't break the game, also makes non-assassin critical focused characters possible.
>>
>>50275518
Nah you made sense.
>>
>>50274500
evidently he didnt like my idea of multiclassable gradual damage increases rather than nonstacking discrete chunks of damage slapped on after several levels of nothing.

my idea needs polish, for sure, and it is probably too fiddly compared to the rest, given that its a flat damage add, which can be broken up.

but it stacks between multiclasses, level by level. thats the main goal there.

well see what i can do with it.
>>
>>50275563
thats fucking terrible. in what way is that a reasonable alternative to fighter?
>>
Any decent Paladin/Bard builds?
>>
So I was looking at some stuff in the PHB and noticed "Waukeen, goddess of trade," and felt the idea of a Cleric of Economics would be kinda hilarious to run one day. My main question though is how? I was thinking Dwarf Cleric, Domain of Wisdom, but the main issue is how would he act? I'm guessing he would travel the world, partaking in trade and settling trade disputes?
>>
File: gwuh.png (37KB, 168x447px) Image search: [Google]
gwuh.png
37KB, 168x447px
>>50275811
>Domain of Wisdom
>>
>>50275811
knowledge domain, you realised that adventuring was the best way to find the rarer items and materials and waukeen's guidance could help you make better trade deals

from the forgotten realms wiki: http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Waukeen

>Her portfolio included everything related to commerce and the accumulation of wealth through free and fair trade, as well as the beneficial use of wealth to improve civilization.

maybe the character invests in the local economy, or helps the disenfranchised

or there's this
>Waukeen was also the goddess of illicit trade

so you could play a trickery domain to play as someone who will get their wealth via any means, legal or otherwise
>>
>>50275811
>>50275874
but if that doesn't seem appropriate i'm sure there's a trade domain homebrew out there
>>
>>50275894
I remember the Free Market Paladin, but I don't think that quite counts.
>>
>>50275902
>Free Market Paladin
Still one of the dumbest ideas this game has spawned
>>
>>50275902
>>50275934
Please tell me that's not a thing. Where is that ridiculousness from?
>>
>>50275965
Oh shit I have it downloaded. Was gonna link the Skulker paladin for the link but here we go.
>>
>>50275902
the same person also made a common man paladin

common man:https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwF09f1afXWld1g5V0FmcVRhUEE/view
free commerce:https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwF09f1afXWlMXNudTBGZzJXR1E/view

>>50275965
homebrew
>>
File: Recettear-Capitalism-1.jpg (45KB, 482x495px) Image search: [Google]
Recettear-Capitalism-1.jpg
45KB, 482x495px
>>50275978
>Oath tenet: Life
>The right of all living beings to remain alive, as long as they are interested in participating honestly and justly in the market, shall not be infringed upon. It is harmful for the market to kill without sufficient reason
>paladin encounters isolated tribes not interested in free market economy
>paladin slaughters them and sells the land for profit
sociopath paladins, ho!
>>
File: very fast stef.png (132KB, 682x261px) Image search: [Google]
very fast stef.png
132KB, 682x261px
>>50275978
>mfw the oath is NAP
>>
How do I become a god wizard in 5e? Artificer from Eberron UA seem close enough (with the ability to create a scroll of any spell you have written in your book during short rest). But is there a better way to change my spell depend on situation?
>>
>>50276091
Halfling wizard Divination school, with the Lucky feat.

Have fun being co-DM.
>>
>>50276039
Capitalism Ho

FTFY.
>>
Do any monsters have any feats?
>>
>>50276111
I seen this build floating around /5eg/ for awhile. How do you actually use it? Do you use Lucky to force a reroll then use Portent to replacing the new roll?
>>
>>50276130
i don't think so, some do get minor class features such as devils getting, you guessed it, devil's sight from warlock (although you could say they got it from the devils).

mostly they get potion or spell effects rather than feats
>>
>>50274488
Simple.
Superiority dice and maneouvers for all martials.
Number of superiority dice is dependent on either Str or Dex mod.
Each martial learns two maneouvers.
Superiority die progression is d8, d10, d12, 2d6 in four martial level intervals.
When MCing learn 1 more maneouver and use higher superiority die.
Battle master gets a free (no cost) maneouver each time they get their subclass feature.
>>
>>50276156
You basically can made an array of four dice to pick from if you spend two luck points, but you can only pick two of the dice. Save 1s in the array, you can choose to reroll them while they're in the array.

Basically you can give people your luck points.
>>
My GM has this weird system where he forces us to pick 2 attribute increase and 1 feat at every ASI.

But looking at my non-combat Bard, what exactly makes sense to choose? It is pretty much just a waifu-support bard who does nothing but buff or debuff in combat, so few feats actually seems to be "good".

I am leaning on just picking feats that also increases an attribute I want, but that just feels a bit... wasteful.
>>
Are there any cities with any sort of Goblin population, or that would tolerate Goblins living within its walls?

Alternatively; what would be a good, believable way to have my Goblin PC be resident in a city for a good number of years?
>>
>>50276225
No.
Make one up.
>>
>>50276209
actor for general bardic things as well as the +1 CHA or war caster for the advantage on concentration saves which is really nice if you're trying to keep buffs/debuffs up
>>
>>50276225
Depends on the setting.
>>
>>50276195
Wouldn't forgoing Halfling bit and go for Variant Human would be better for the build?

Bonus to INT. Lucky at 1st level. ASI to INT at level 4. Able to reroll 1 is nice, but not really that useful when you have Lucky.
>>
>>50276195
Not sure I understand. When do you use lucky? After replacing the roll with Portent??
>>
>>50276246
5E Faerun as written
>>
>>50275550
Don't use the dpr spreadsheet. It is riddled with flaws, and the guy maintaining it is a moron.

Just go to anydice.com and enter the dice rolls you want to calculate the mean for.
>>
>>50276195
Portent isn't an attack roll, ability check or saving throw though. You can't actually use Lucky on start-of-the-day Portent roll.
>>
>>50276238
Actor is a good choice, and took that for my first increase. Now I am at my second one.

War caster... actually doesn't seem half bad. Huh, I pretty much just skipped it because War Caster on a non-combat support seemed completely stupid, but I missed the advantage on concentration checks.

Might just go with that, if only because there doesn't seem to be much else outside of additional attribute increases.
>>
>>50276321
Technically it is an attack roll, ability check or saving throw. It's just in limbo land.
>>
>>50276257
The point of the build is to get as many rerolls as possible
>>
>>50273726
that's basically just handing the DM the dick with which to fuck you over.
>>
>>50276344
But that is the point. It is a no tag limbo roll when you did it at the start of the day, so you can't use lucky on it.
>>
File: 1475981903876.jpg (248KB, 407x860px) Image search: [Google]
1475981903876.jpg
248KB, 407x860px
How much XP is a level 5 Wizard (necro) worth if the PC´s defeat him?
>>
>>50276363
I had an issue like the a while back.

At first, I just calculated it based on the Necromancer. But then I got into the skeleton minions.

They are technically just a part of his kit... you wouldn't give additional experience for killing someone depending kn the amount of fireballs he threw out during a combat, but on the other hand, the skeletons were an actual threat, and it took a lot of preparation from his part to make these minions.

So... I don't know. I ended up giving additional experience for each additional skeleton, but that's probably not the right way to do it.
>>
Why are there no archons or eladrin in the MMs? I'm saddened by this.
>>
>>50276518
The lore, like everything else in 5e, is watered down hot garbage, slowly cooling off as the winter of wotc sets in.
>>
File: wSKhCVy.png (124KB, 540x527px) Image search: [Google]
wSKhCVy.png
124KB, 540x527px
>>50276547
>>
File: 1479383581812.jpg (12KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
1479383581812.jpg
12KB, 480x360px
>>50276547
This is you.
>>
>>50273678
put a bit of Sheogorath on it
http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/The_Mind_of_Madness
>>
My party hit level 20 last session.

They want to continue. As of right now, I just let them add the excess experience while I figure out what to do next.

Do we have any material for going beyond these levels? The idea is to ascend the characters as demigods, and then work towards actual God status. But the system kinda locked them in place.

Failing that, are there any home brew material that made increasing beyond 20 possible? We could just increase levels of the multiclass characters, but the level 20 monk doesn't want to multiclass, and he can't really go further anymore.

The first and best idea I got was letting them level to 21, and either increase a level as normal, or take a level 21 with a feat and two ASI that allows going beyond 20 in any stat they want, and then allowing two new ASIs every level. But that seems a bit boring, even if it does manage to represent the godlike powers they now possess.

What are your thoughts on this?
>>
5e isn't as bad as free 3.5, but I still want to lessen the defenve advance that Dexter has over strength.

What unforeseen (well hopefully foreseeable by you guys) consequences would there be from combined in Constitution which strength into a single stat?
>>
>>50276771
epic boons, dmg
>>
>>50276771
>level 25 barbarian
>10 increases in con
>34 Con
>+5 AC from Dex
>+12 from Con
>now has 27 AC while naked
Yeah okay.

Also pretty funny with a monk, who would be getting to the point of catching cannonballs and hurling them back at the enemies. I'd imagine getting a decent intimidate bonus for that.

Honestly though, I'd just let then get additional class features from the other specs. So an Open Hand monk would maybe get some of the Shadow monk abilities.
>>
>>50276771
in the DM's guild trove under rules there's a PDF for epic level characters with full progression up to level 30 as well as epic level prestige classes and racials
>>
>>50275978
>objective worth
B-but there's no such thing as objective worth. That's why we have negotiations on trade and why socialism can't work. I'd expect a paladin of free trade to know better.
I'm triggered
>>
>>50276785
It would make the combined stay ridiculously strong, and Barbarians would become super busted. Now 2 points of strengthitustion would grant:
+1 Hp/level
+1 to hit
+1 to damage
+1 to AC
+1 to two saving throws

Also remember that Strength weapons are better than Dex weapons.

You'd also have to figure out how that interacts with the level 20 "add 4 to strength and con and increase the cap by that much" barbarian feature. Does this put them at 28 strengthitustion or what?

It just causes a ton of compatability issues that would need to be ironed out.
>>
>>50276812
Cool, thanks.
>>
>>50276771
Epic Boons, pages 230 - 232 of your DMG.
>>
>>50276850
Dex saves are more common than str+con, and dex does all of that except hp for most everyone already.
>>
>>50276859
Fair warning, it sucks.
>>
>>50273660
I'm taking a shit at work and it's a little runny because i drank 4 beers and ate a dozen Cajun wings and it still stinks less than this
>>
>That feel when game forces you to make twig looking monks
>>
What do you guys think of a (moderately) low level Necromancy spell that lets you keep Animate Dead undead permanently at the cost of your max HP; say 2x(HD+Mods) per undead?

(If the undead are destroyed, or the necromancer wishes to dismiss the bond between them, he regains his normal max HP at the end of a long rest)
>>
>>50275978
>Kender Paladin of Free Commerce
>Kills self
>>
>>50276942
Why does the game force you to make your character look a certain way?
>>
>>50273904
>focused almost entirely on Sigil
I'd like this, a lot, but I'd rather have another FR book, focused either on Amn and the Shining South or Cormyr and the Dalelands, and more fucking maps. Because even in the other Sourcebooks, the maps are lacking a lot.

I love Planescape and Sigil, but I don't know if new players are ready for that setting, because, if they are actually faithful to 2e's Sigil, the whole thing with the factions and their philosophies will be a big challenges to new players or veterans who are not really that invested in "serious" roleplaying.

I'd rather have one concise, detailed setting with the occasional deviance (such as CoS) rather than have a lot of incomplete settings.
>>
>>50276992
because strength is essentially a dump stat for monks
>>
>>50275455
because you can't rage in heavy armour, and because you're so MAD medium armour is the only way to now have 12-4 AC.
>>
Hey, I love 5E, but my last session was pretty bad and I was wondering if it was due to me.

Did they remove full attack and replace it with nothing? I rolled up a lv1 bard and I kept being in situations where using my move action meant I'd be taking AOOs or I'd be pulling more garbage out of m pack. I kept having to attack the skeleton with my Warhammer and pass.
>>
Bread anon, my dm's ruling on crits with checks
Guess I'm Sol here

Thinking of my next character, I either want to play a necromancer, or a revised ranger lizardman from volos
>>
>>50276873
>Epic level characters can take a boon to stop aging
>Liches no longer have a reason to exist since they all need to be high level caster in the first place
>Monks and Druids get shafted
>>
>>50276992
Becase Str is useless for monks, while Dex/Wis/Con are a must, so unless you're incredible lucky you aren't going to have enough to put good stats on all 4, so more than usually monks look like twigs.
>>
The problem and strength of 5e is the team is a lot, lot smaller as well.

So, while miscommunication doesn't really exist, they can't devote manpower to create settings and it's also the reason why we're only seeing a trickle of products to date.
>>
>>50277049
"You determine which epic boon a character gains."
Liches just had ass for DMs
Also, the common Lich is a lv18 spellcaster, so they're either multiclassed into something martial or just aren't lv20
>>
>>50277042
Go with halfing so you never get "hur hur, you rolled a 1 on your perception so you lose your eyeballs"
>>
>>50277035
spend a round to take the disengage action before moving away?
>>
>>50277049
>Monks get shafted
That's D&D middle name
>>
>>50277059
Or, get this: you can use your imagination
>>
>>50277042
well that's fucking retarded, if your modifier would make you able to pass the DC with a 1 why would the DM even make you roll?

also i'm not a fan of the whole, "nat 1 are always something completely detrimental like hitting an ally"
>>
>>50277059
Dumping Cha & Int are an option, remember 10str is human average, so the 12 from standard array can still allow the monk to look built

Just not on parr with zyzz or anything like that
>>
>>50277083
So I can waste my main action too? I just feel I have to be doing something wrong.

My issue is wasted move actions, not AOOs. I just brought that up because otherwise I could shift focus on other monsters.
>>
What does each stat mean?
If I'm 9 in int am i mentally retarded or just below average?
If I have 22 str am i basically a demigod?
>>
>>50277089
>8 on Str
>"Yeah, my monk is totally buffed, see, he has 1% body fat and weights 120 kg of pure muscle, he also can lift, like hard"
>Ok, lift this, or arm wrestle this dude, or do anything str related
>"Nah, I don't have to prove anything, and just because he can barely walk with his normal equipment means nothing"
>>
>>50277049
>Epic Boons involve physical alterations to a character's appearance, shining eyes for Boon of Truesight, glowing motes of energy for Boon of High Magic etc.
>Boon of Immortality can't involve looking like a spooky skeleton because...?
>>
>>50277106
10 is an average person, 9 INT is someone who paid a little less attention in school but is still fairly average
22 STR means you are one of the world's strongest people
>>
>>50277106
9 Int is slightly below average (10), I consider mentally handicapped people with 7 or lower.

22 Str means you're an olympic level strongman, demigods can lift mountains, you can barely lift a horse, so no, unless your demigod field is playing the lute then yes, you can have 22 Str and be considered a demigod (even if Str is not related at all with your demigoddeness capabilities)
>>
>>50277087
They were practically gods in older editions, before 3e.
>>
>>50277124
What Str would you need to move mountains?
>>
>>50277105
You shouldn't feel like you're wasting your ability to move just because you don't move every turn.

Perhaps you should wait until a monster is low on health before committing to attacking? That way you can finish it off, then move to a more advantageous position.

Or I'd recommend multiclassing to get 2 levels of rogue... then you're able to get cunning action and you'll never have to waste a move again.
>>
>>50277059
>>50276942
>>50277006
You aren't "forced" you simply get no real benefit from being strong and the game discourages you to put a decent roll on it.
>>
>>50277137
higher than what is attainable by a PC
>>
>>50277007
What the fuck did you do that left you with less than 14 AC while naked? It's a barbarian, you get from Con and Dex, and if you have less than +4 combined from Dex and Con, you fucked up seriously hard.
>>
What are the chances of a better version of Volo's being released?? The PDF I have...the first one uploaded to the trove doesn't render well and I have to fiddle with zoom options, settings and such to get it to be readable and even then as I scroll through the pages shit gets weird and wonky or blanks out.
>>
>>50277137
In 5e? not stated. Max for monsters is 30 (for players is 20, 24 if you're a 20th level barbarian), but gods and demigods aren't stated so they just lift whatever and have whatever Str score.
>>
>>50277141
>you aren't forced, you just get punished if you don't
semantics
>>
>>50277049
Never mind paladin also becoming unaging and a lot sooner than 20 too. ..
>>
>>50277159
Tiamat's incorporation in the world has 30STR and 30CON
>>
>>50277172
That's just her avatar a mere shadow of her form, not full Tiamat
>>
>>50277139
Fair enough. I just thought I missed a rule somewhere.

In 3.5 you could full attack, sacrificing your movement to attack better. Which made sense when you were toe to for with an ogre. And I couldn't find an equivalent, so I assumed I was being retarded.

Maybe this problem goes away as you level up. I'm only level 1, so my options are limited.
>>
>>50277183
>Maybe this problem goes away as you level up
Only on a few classes
>>
>>50277137
Lift is Str*15
and according to google a mountain COULD weigh 2billion tons. 2032093817600kg.
So you'd need Str135472921173
>>
>>50273753
Base quest hooks on the tarroka:
- Find the sun sword early-ish
- Find the symbol when vampires are more common
- Find the ally naturally
- Find the tome when they are ready to face Strahd

The other secret is getting the players into the castle multiple times and just running around scared and looting. Everything good in Barovia is in the castle.
>>
File: IMG_0058.jpg (181KB, 720x747px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0058.jpg
181KB, 720x747px
Hey /5eg/

I'm going to be first-time DMing in a couple months and I need some advice on an adventure. My group is rotating DMs so that every has a chance to play, and I'm up after the next adventure

So far we have done Lost Mine of Phandelver, and my friend is running Curse of Strahd next. I'm looking for something that isn't too hard to run being a noobie but doesn't leave everyone hanging after CoS. After some cursory glances at possible ideas, I was thinking about running Out of the Abyss.
I know about the whole 10 NPC thing and I was planning on cutting it down to 5 and bumping the party up in levels to make up the difference in difficulty, is that a good fix?

If you have any suggestions for other prebuilt campaigns instead, let me hear about them! I just don't think it would be a good idea to have me write a whole campaign from scratch for the first time around the block.
>>
>>50277192
>Str135472921173
...how much does this translate into in terms of bonuses to hit and deal damage?
>>
File: Thomas_sprite.gif (6KB, 72x96px) Image search: [Google]
Thomas_sprite.gif
6KB, 72x96px
>>50275978
>>50276039
I'm not sure it's very well balanced, but I like the idea. I could see this being a villain at least in a game featuring an expansionist trade federation or something.
>>
>>50277192
just need to use ~67736460586 manuals of gainful exercise (DMG p180)

seems easy enough
>>
>>50277212
aproximately 1/2-5
>>
>>50277212
to hit is -10 then divided by 2 so it would be +67736460581.5 to hit and damage
>>
>>50277147
Paladin Barbarian Multiclass is MAD as fuck, and it's fiercely hampered by standard array.

My point was that wearing medium armour will grant higher ac than being naked, because you'll want to prioritize a high str score, whilst maintaining a reasonable dex, and a high con score... and at least 13 in cha.

So having 14 Dex, 14Con at the start whilst keeping Cha at 13/14 and bumping str means wearing medium armour is probably the best way to go with a Barb/Paladin multiclass.
>>
>>50277240
>Paladin Barbarian Multiclass is MAD as fuck
Paladin/Monk wins in MADdness
>>
>>50277183
Could can take 'College of Satire' at level 3 for a free Dash&Disengage using your bonus action. (Unearthed Arcana Kits of old)

There's no equivalent in this ed of bumping an attack without moving, unless your DM is kind and grants you a special magical item.
>>
>>50277247
>still not needing INT

sounds about right for 5e
>>
>>50277221
Is this the rule monsters/NPCs use?
>>
>>50277247
>Paladin/Monk
I think I'm going to be sick
>>
>>50277240
I'd disagree if this were fighter-barbarian we were talking about, because a fighter would be able to obtain 20 dex and con easily (and would easily have 13 strength) and thus have 2 AC more than plate armour.

However, paladin doesn't get as many ASIs and would benefit from upping charisma, so eh.

If you roll for stats (Why) then paladin-barbarian would work very well if you get two very good stats to assign to dex and con.
>>
>>50277261
What class actually uses this stat outside of the wizard?

So sad you can't build a Rogue around it...
>>
>>50277276
0 Str means -5
10 Str means +0
20 Str means +5
30 Str means +10
Is basic maths

Your Bonus = (Your Score/2 - 5)
>>
>>50277247
You can smite with dex weapons
>>
>>50277276
it's what everything uses when converting between ability score to modifier

then you add proficiency

>>50277284
eldritch knight and arcane trickster are the only other things that use INT if i recall correctly
>>
>>50277280
Why? is actually, even acording to D&D, a multiclass that make a lot of sense LOREwise, mechanicalwise is suicide. Also my favourite chars in 3.PF were somekind of Monk/Paladin (not MC per se, but variant/archetype that worked like that).
>>
>>50277284
You can make a Rogue P.I that focuses on Investigation

Or a Cleric of Knowledge with the sage background that's a literal loremonkey
>>
>>50277307
I like the fluff, I was sickened by the sheer stat requirements
>>
>>50277296
>He doesn't know he needs 13 Str, 13 Dex, 13 Wis and 13 Cha just to multiclass
>He doesn't know as a monk you can't use armor
>He doesn't know his ki and spells will be shit
Mechanically speaking Tavern Braler Paladin works better and deals more damage even without spending resources.

At 11th level paladin you add 1d8 to all your attacks so 1d4+1d8>1d10 from monk
You also make 3 attacks (again tavern brawler) and have better AC, HPs, spells, etc etc etc

Also, depending who you ask, smites might or might not work with unarmed attacks
>>
>>50277342
I know Pally/Monk is a shit, you dont need to tell me.

I was just pointing out that smite doesn't require a stealth weapon.

Also where have you gotten the third attack from? TB only allows a grapple as a bonus action.
>>
>>50277379
fuck
*Strength not stealth
>>
Hey guys, i've been working on that Green Thumb thing again and i think i've improved the balance situation between the d8's and d4's, d4's will still end up doing less damage but get more rewards from the modifications.

https://onlinenotebook.net/view.php?public_url=7t3x3KdNcqg6QQS
>>
>>50277379
Yeah, my bad, old version of Tavern Brawler, didn't remember they changed it.
>>
>>50277211
Pls respond
>>
>>50277414
This is blank, and if it's editable it may be vandalized
>>
>>50277429
Oh shit, my bad, this should work
http://pastebin.com/QWP1kcMQ
>>
>>50277211

Is the plan that you guys keep the same characters as you round robin DM? If that's the case then the player's levels are probably going to be higher than the premade adventures, especially after LMoP and CoS. You might be better off grabbing a 3.5 lvl 10 adventure and making adjustments on it.
>>
>>50277422
SKT is noice
>>
>>50277106
below average. But remember that half the population are below average. So you don't have to act stupid or anything.
>>
>>50277451
I'm not sure as of right now. I know one player if given the choice will probably keep playing their character (should it survive Strahd and based on her actions, AC, and inexperience, I doubt she will). The other guy is going to die almost certainly being a barb and the last one will be rolling a new one since he was DM. So probably yes to new characters, but likely lowerish levels (not starting at 1)

>>50277468
What level is it statted for? Would it be too hard for a retard new DM?
>>
>>50277494
It starts at level 1 or so with goblins and worgs and goes up from there. We just fought a fire giant with two huge shields.
>>
>>50277089
If I use this "imagination" can my char throw fireballs and teleport behind you at will even if he isn't a caster or doesn't have any of those features?
>>
>>50277559
That sounds pretty cool desu

Duel wielding shields PC class when?
>>
File: 01382.png (17KB, 160x160px) Image search: [Google]
01382.png
17KB, 160x160px
>>50277137
Use Performance:Sing check instead.
>>
>>50277445

I must say that I like the idea that of a humble fighter from a farming background laying a surprising amount of simplistic smackdown due to the hard repetitive labor growing up.

That said I'm confused as to why someone who has grown up on a farm suddenly gain/grant magical properties to their weapon.

Also this has confused me
> At 3rd level when using a simple weapon you add +1 to the attack and damage rolls, you add your dexterity modifier or strength modifier twice (up to a maximum +2), these bonuses do not work for weapons in your off hand.

The +1 to hit and damage is easy to understand, but when you say add your stat modifier twice, max of +2, that confuses me.
>>
I could use some help and opinions with my new PC:
It's a Dwarf Paladin with Oath of the Ancients and Folk Hero background.
The main idea is to Kindle the Light in the Dark Souls manner: Kindling bonfires.
I'd spread bonfires throughout the land (stone structure, with a sword in the center), so they would bring comfort and respite for those who travel after me.
While also being the cursing mad pile of beard dorf.
And to try for once, i was thinking about a vote of chastity.
IC reasons are "There' no wench betta than a good ale or beer! Also, dwarf women look like shite."

I'm open to any opinions, critics or tips.
It'll be my first time running a non-evil paladin and i want to do it right.
>>
>>50277035
I'd be pulling more garbage out of m pack
Your DM is messing up. Drawing or putting away an item is something you can do as your "free interaction" for the turn, something simple like opening a door.

There's no such thing as a "move action" anymore. You just get a certain amount of movement measured in length, which you can use at any point during your turn. You can even break it up so that you move both before and after your action. This movement is not exchangeable for anything. If you want to fiddle around with your movement without provoking an attack from an enemy, you can circle around that enemy all you like - you only provoke if you exit the area he can reach.

Since you're a bard, consider maybe not using melee weapons as a first resort. You're a full caster now, and even the College of Valor doesn't get enough melee abilities to keep up with the classes who specialize in melee combat.
>>
>>50277632

Gotta go back to 4e for dual wielding shields. Snapping Tetsudo was pretty hilarious, especially if you kitted yourself with two throwing shields, go medieval Tron on people.
>>
>>50277790
I have 2 spells and 4 cantrips, most of which aren't combat-y. Maybe I fucked up my choices, but it felt nice and Jack of all trades-y.

Right. I knew movement could be split up and things like drawing a weapon as part of an attack was reasonable. I assume if you don't move, you can still do "small things" during it, right?
>>
Should I increase my INT or my DEX first as a Bladesinger?
>>
>>50277183
Even in 3.5... You can't full attack at level 1
>>
>>50277781
I wouldn't go for such a clear parody of dark souls. If you just want to make dark souls references just play that dark souls tabletop game people keep trying to make. Or if your game is casual then just go for it. But if you want to take that idea and move forward with it. Have your Order of Paladins have safe places of rests for travels that have been lost. Maybe they have a Hallow spell on them or incredibly powerful ones have Guards and Wards and Antimagic Field. Finding them, marking them on a map and sending them back to your order so they could be renovated would be nice, and maybe a little ceremonial lighting of a lantern at the front door.

Also just keep that oath of chastity out of your background, if you really want it there just have like one line, but don't make it a big deal. If I was playing with a paladin who like casually mentions it, I would think you get off on chastity and humiliation.

Speaking as a kinky fuck who gets off to everything, just don't even mention it and enjoy it in your head.
>>
>>50277851
probably INT, increases spell DC and attack bonus plus AC in bladesong
>>
>>50277815
no. move is move. object interaction is object interaction. You can't replace one with another anymore.
>>
>>50277781
So you just gunna go around and stick swords into random places?

Really from a mechanical aspect you want the Hallow spell, a 5th level cleric spell, it creates a permanent (until dispelled) zone, and barter with the DM for a restorative secondary property of the zone.
>>
>>50273753
Rangers are almost required in the campaign. The ideal makeup is something like: Ranger (Revised) + LG Cleric + Front Line + Arcane Guy
>>
>>50277137
You can dot it with any STR, you just need to roll a nat 20 on the check
>>
A player in my game wants to ride a swarm of rats. Are there any rules or sage advice on such a thing? I can't find shit. The rats are provided by his homebrew class btw.
>>
>>50273726
Counteroffer: You can be a normal, flawed person cursed to have a good split personality.
>>
>>50277880
You can, see monks, see TWF, etc
>>
>>50277967
>nat 20 lets you do literally anything

triggered
>>
>>50277967
No such a thing as nat20 on skills
>>
>>50277886
Well, i have talked with the dm and we agreed that the bonfires wouldn't impact so much or be such a problem.
So i don't think there's a reason not to. Also, the references would stop there. No praising the sun, even.
The Order of Paladin having safe places is actually pretty amazing! But i was thinking of a more natural and peasanty form of becoming a Paladin, that's why the folk hero background.
The Oath of the Ancients is a more druidic oath and i don't really think there's need for a formal order. I just made an Oath to protect life and to do good.
The bonfire thingy would be more of a personal choice. I was to say that a wandering traveller moved the dwarf when he was still a common armorsmith, by lighting a bonfire for beggars and offering then food and water.

>>50277924
More or less, yes. The spell sure is cool, but i'm doing it more for the fluff and personality aspect of it.
I don't really care if there's no mechanical gains in making bonfires and spending my money on cheap swords.
But is there a paladin spell that can replicate Hallow or anything that would help making safe spots?
>>
File: 1439701259146.png (278KB, 398x479px) Image search: [Google]
1439701259146.png
278KB, 398x479px
>>50277781
>Dwarf Women look like shite
You should make your character's mother the only exception to this rule. Holding all other dwarf women up to impossible standards. That'd make for some very interesting encounters.

I like your overall concept, leaving stone swords in areas that may serve as resting spots, maybe you could leave some fresh water, a whetstone and an axe behind for anyone in need with a note saying 'take what you need, leave what you dont'
>>
>>50277982
>Roll constantly: throw small pebble as a level 1
>nat20
>The BBEG and the ancient evil die
>Reach level 15 in one go
>>
>>50277998
>talking to king
>-2 on charisma checks
>nat 20
>am now king
wat do?
>>
>>50277990
Seems fine then to just make these spots, you'll need a lot of supplies to lug around with you, campfire equipment, any weapons you find on enemies to be put there, a bag of holding for all this would be smart.

Seems fine to me go for it.
>>
>>50277815
The most important bard cantrip is probably Vicious Mockery. That gives you something to use offensively at range as often as you need. It's not as strong as what wizards and warlocks get, but you're more of a support caster like a cleric, and you don't really have a wealth of other options.
>>
>>50277967
Shit houserule brah.
>>
>>50277969
>his homebrew class

You gotta nip that in the bud immediately
>>
>>50278014
>Wearing chainmail, have to sneak past lizardfolk.
>Nat 20 Stealth
>Disappear into the shadows and plane shift to the shadowfel.
>Stuck in Barovia, what do
>>
>>50278042
I'm not the DM unfortunately, everyone other than me seems to have some degree of homebrew shit going on, and I'm not bothered enough to complain or anything.
>>
>>50277815
You can do a "small thing" like open a door or draw a weapon on your turn, completely regardless of whether you move or not. You're still thinking of movement as something that can be exchanged for something else, and that's not true in 5e.
>>
>>50277993
Holy fucking shit, so many great ideas. I'm definitely doing this.
"Except fer me mum. Oh, she be the best. I miss her homebrewed ale and stew. Truly a top-notch woman, my father was a lucky bastard fer sure"

And instead of an axe, why not a blanket or something to protect from the cold?
I'm a master in gathering totally useful useless(in mechanic) items.

ALWAYS have a 10ft pole.
And chalk. Have lots of chalk.

>>50278024
"Bag of whatsthanow? What do ye take me for? A pansy? A little girl? AN ELF? I didn't work as an armorsmith for half me life for this, i'll carry this in me arms like any decent dwarf would!"
>>
>>50278014
You'd still need to roll from time to time for actually ruling your kingdom.
Unless you raise your stats you need to be rolling nat 20 constantly.
When you do people start thinking you're actually the proper heir, a bastard of the previous king. Then just rule with your luck. A lucky bastard.
>>
>>50278070
>homebrewed ale and stew
NOT ALLOWED
>>
>>50278052
>trying to identify a slightly magical ring
>nat 20 on arcana check
>instantly gain 20 levels in wizard
>>
>>50277903
So level 6 Bladesinger with haste will...
> 21 AC (Mage Armor + DEX + INT + Haste)
> Attack 3 times per round
> 40ft move speed

I already like it better than bladelock...
>>
>>50278081
I don't get it. Really.
If it's about the sanitary problems of fermentation, i can attest that it's actually quite easy if you're careful, as i do actually ferment some drinks.
>>
>>50278058
I'd love to see something like that in a sandbox game with multiple groups, other PCs can run into mysterious yet welcoming bonfire pits from time to time
>>
>>50278085
>Athletics check to jump across a small creek.
>Nat 20
>Push the world away form you leaving you in space
>>
>>50278105
Feel free to use my character idea or just the bonfires in any games, btw.
>>
>>50278117
>roll religion to identify symbol on artifact
>nat 20
>become a god
>all other gods disappear
>you became the ONLY god
>>
>>50277144
>>50277137
Even a god can't have an ability score higher than 30 in 5e. If you use the rules as written for lifting and carrying, nobody of Medium size is going to be able to push or drag more than 900 pounds (double that if you're a goliath,) and nobody of the maximum size of Gargantuan is going to be able to push or drag more than about 30 tons. That said, the ability scores are tuned more for game balance and less of a perfect simulation, so go ahead and have gods do whatever you want in your games.
>>
If you let a player use booming blade or greenflame blade with ranged weapons, should they use a d4 or a d6 to remain balanced?
>>
>>50278152
i think the gods are intentionally not statted because they would have stats much higher than 30
>>
>>50278158
If you're worried about balance, maybe just use them as written so they're melee-only, ya dungus.
>>
>>50278139
>roll perception to look for a hidden enemy
>nat 20
>see that you are only a fictional character in a game and your life is meaningless as everything you know is a figment of fantasy
>see your player is a neckbeard faggot who couldn't swing a sword for his life
>>
>hey I'm thinking of playing a tiefling bard

>P1: hey I think I'm going to go CG
>P2: hey I think I'm going to go NG
>P3: hey I think I'm going to go NG
>P4: hey I think I'm going to go LG
>P5: I'm lawful evil
>
>Party splits, P1,P2, P4 betrayed and left to die by P3 and P5 on the second encounter

>make encounter easy, party destroys all NPC's without taking damage
>make similar encounter *slightly* harder, party splits and half of them die

>"I cast shatter"
>"on that one enemy? the one surrounded by 5 of your allies?"
>"yes"
>4 friendlies killed
>after the battle the player is surprised that the other survivors are pissed at her
>she does this shit again a few sessions later

>one time I give the party everything they want
>they literally destroy the world and kill each other and then bitch about it

>have an NPC use the dodge action
>it's super effective
>the whole party starts using the dodge action

>have an NPC toss a PC down the stairs for fall damage
>later on two party members are fighting
>90% of the fight (14 turns) is them pushing each other down the stairs, running back up the stairs, repeat
>>
File: 1450828027752.png (953KB, 1377x918px) Image search: [Google]
1450828027752.png
953KB, 1377x918px
>>50278167
They have statted a god. She had nothing higher than 30, because ability scores max out at 30 for EVERYONE.
>>
Got a campaign coming up.
Thoughts on a fey-tome lock with a focus on "tricks"?
Starting at level 8.
thinking Eldarin for the misty-step 1/rest

Cantrips:
eldritch blast
sword burst
thaumaturgy
(tome cantrips):
mold earth,
shape water
control flames

invocations:
agonizing blast,
book of ancient secrets,
eldritch sight (because rituals can be a pain sometimes),
Misty Visions

Thought process is use the EE tome cantrips in utility ways and screw with people using silent image. Like dig holes with mold earth and cover it with a silent image. I'm not concerned about being super damage dealing because we have enough of that already.

Party: 2 rogues, 1 ranger, 1 fighter/wizard, and then me as warlock.
>>
>>50278184
>roll during downtime activities to craft a sword
>nat 20
>create sword so sharp it tears the fabric of reality
>destroy the entire multiverse
>win?

>>50278186
>one of it's stats is 10
i mean you'd think a god would be a little bit stronger than that
>>
>>50278158
Those are really only for melee attacks. Not that I'm a NO FUN ALLOWED kinda person, but I just wouldn't let it happen
>>
>>50278210
WotC. 'nuff said.
>>
>>50278210
It's a 50-foot-tall dragon. A Dex of 10 is quite generous.
>>
>>50277776
The second time you add the modifier it can only go up to +2, so if you've got a +3 strength modifier you'd have +6 to your damage and attack rolls, 3 for you original mod, 1 for the +1/+1 and +2 for the second time you apply your modifer.
>>
>>50277910
>>50278057
Wait, so I only get one small thing every turn even if the only other thing I do is attack?

The description I read said this:

>You can interact with one object as part of either your move or your action.

>You can manipulate the object in an uncomplicated way. Some examples include:
• Draw or sheath a weapon
• Transfer an item from one hand to the other
• Load a crossbow
• Retrieve or put away a stored item*
• Pick up an item
• Move an object
• Open a chest
• Open a door
* You may only retrieve an item if it was stowed for easy access. If you must dig through your backpack to find something inside, it may require use of an action to retrieve it.
>Doing more than one of these things requires the use of an action.

So, even if I sit there and attack, I can't unsheath my weapon and grab my horn off of my bag?

>>50278033
My stats are like this from table

Str: 9
Con: 12
Dex: 14
Cha: 15
Wis: 10
Int: 10

Or something there abouts. I figured using my long sword would be better than crossbow. I have some extra HP from being a dwarf. Mockery seems good, but I figured Skeletons were immune to it.
>>
File: SINISTAR.png (52KB, 462x481px) Image search: [Google]
SINISTAR.png
52KB, 462x481px
>>50278185
>>
> Roll a dex saving throw to avoid a Red Dragon's fire breath
> nat 20
> become one with the Speed Force
>>
>>50278388
Longsword use STR. Your STR is terribad.

Your longsword attack.
+1 1d8-1

You Light crossbow attack
+4 1d8+2

Why do you think crossbow is worst..? I don't even know.
>>
>>50278388
>So, even if I sit there and attack, I can't unsheath my weapon and grab my horn off of my bag?
Correct. A thief could do both with the Fast Hands ability, but you could not. As always, whether you moved or not does not matter.

>Mockery seems good, but I figured Skeletons were immune to it
Immunities and resistances are rather rare in 5e. (Except poison, everyone and their mother is immune to poison.) It's always worth giving something a try to see if it works.
>>
>>50278388
>Str 9
>Dex 14
>I figured using my long sword would be better than crossbow.
Have you even actually played a DnD game ever
>>
>>50278388
Skeleton definitely doesn't get Psychic damage immunity.

Maybe your DM is a shit and try to houserule it. Despite the fact that Skeleton has INT and WIS in this edition. You can even charm or sleep them.
>>
>>50278449
Fuck. I mixed the longswords and shortsword together and treated the longsword as though it had finesse.

Well, that explains that.
>>
>>50278472
Sorry. I thought it had finesse, so it was a 1d10+2.

>>50278507
>>50278458
Okay. I'll try mockery more. 1d4 seems worse than 1d6+2, but I guess it does keep me from harms way. But I do have the second most HP in the party.
>>
>>50278582
>>50278582
it's the disadvantage on it's attack that makes vicious mockery worth it over other cantrips/weapons sometimes
>>
>>50278607
Fair. I'll be in talks with my DM. He's new to the game. I'm actually the one with the most experience with the system, though it has been a while.

Every enemy we fought had disadvantage after the first round. Rogue shot out the ogre's eye. A blow from the barbarian shatters the skeleton's rib cage and using a war hammer on the skeleton ends up with it having broken legs.

Yeah. He's new.
>>
>>50278660
Effects like that should be reserved for crits.
>>
>>50278745
One of them was. I think. I don't remember.

Ah well.
>>
>>50278745
Fuck that noise, just don't let the called shot bullshit happen, the game stops working if you keep using hit/crit effects.
>>
>>50276942
I unironically think strength shadow monks are stronger than Dex open hand monks. Teleport behind the bad guy brandishing your katana, advantage on your grapple check, next round you teleport over to a cliff face within 60ft and drop them to their death.
>>
>>50278191
sword burst is shit
what the fuck

>>50278210
>gargantuan dragon
>maximum strength
>average dexterity
>hurr 10 dex puny god
you have no brain
>>
>>50278802
Yeah I had to explain to my party they couldn't just hamstring an allosaurus because hit points are an abstraction, so hamstringing it would probably be the last of it's hit points, causing it to crash to the ground and die.
>>
>>50278985
>sword burst is shit
It's the best aoe cantrip, does force damage, and it's vocal only.
>>
>>50278210
>roll athletics to grapple foe
>nat 20
>enemy becomes fused with me unable to ever escape
>my name was et and his was tin, now we're ettin
>>
>>50278985
Melee gish arcana cleric disagrees
>>
>>50279073
Its 5feet
Why would a tome lock be in melee range? And if he's in melee, why is he trying to do damage instead of getting out of melee?

>>50279086
The subject is fey tomelock
>>
>>50278186
how does a reasonably sized party beat tiamat?
just cast hard cc at her until she runs out of legendary resistance?
>>
>>50279247
In the campaign, you can prevent her from being summoned and you can also weaken her before she emerges, bringinging her as low as CR18. But yeah, open hand monk is very useful to burn through the resistances
>>
>>50279225
cantrip + bonus action misty step to get out. Aside from disengaging and walking out there is much a lock can do. Except perhaps take shocking grasp as one of the tome lock cantrips.
>>
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/44/Wizards-of-the-Coast?filters=0_0_0_44294_0&affiliate_id=41076
>Wizards put a whole bunch of ancient, pre-3X shit back in print
>Castle Amber
>Dragonlance Adventures
>some Spelljammer shit
>motherfucking H O L L O W W O R L D
>>
>>50279275
>>50279225

"there is much" should be "there isn't much"
>>
>>50279273
>>50279247
Stunning Fist doesn't really work on her because of her Multiple Heads ability. An effect that would stun her instead costs her just one of her five legendary actions for the round (Legendary actions, not legendary resistance. The former recharge every round.)
>>
File: 1477345678150.jpg (23KB, 320x180px) Image search: [Google]
1477345678150.jpg
23KB, 320x180px
>the party's face when the level 5 fighter deals out 127 damage in a single turn

The only problem is it's going to give the DM more fodder for saying that Strength isn't horribly inferior to Dexterity.
>>
>>50277107
He's clearly dehydrated and only trained for aesthetics
>>
>>50277049
Imaging is different from unkillable. Having a phylactery/horcrux goes a long way.
>>
>>50279247
Level 20. Two monster hunters, one paladin, two full spellcasters.

Paladin and the monster hunters do nothing but defend themselves and the spellcasters until the spellcasters have broken through the legendary resistance and inflicted at least one heavy debilitation. Once Tiamat can be reasonably hit, the two monster hunters by themselves can probably drop her in a round or two. The Paladin is there to play tight end, doing support or offense as needed.
>>
File: Blood Mage.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
Blood Mage.pdf
1B, 486x500px
I posted this is my homebrew I posted in the last thread, I made some slight changes and would love if people (smarter than I) could give me some feedback.
>>
>>50273660
you could do like a warlock that pretends to be a bard that gets it's gender confused by other races but keep prostitution out of it and keep it comprehensible in a sentence or two
>>
>>50279589
You've seen it yourself and you still hold onto your unfounded bias? Str doesn't help you with defense like Dex does, true, but it has better weapons and much, much better feats to go with those weapons. Also, heavy armor exists. Str only horrible if you look at it completely isolated from the system's other moving parts, which is not how it's used in practice.
>>
>>50279589
>level 5 fighter deals out 127 damage in a single turn
how
>>
>>50279589
Strength is probably one of the weakest ability scores, but strength based characters can be pretty high tier.
>>
>>50279642
It still won't be easy. Only spells of level 7, 8, and 9 can affect Tiamat at all, and since she still has advantage on saves against them, she's likely to succeed on some of them without needing to spend legendary resistance. Each 20th-level spellcaster will only have a single spell slot each of level 7, 8, and 9. If you only have two full spellcasters, they'd better hope that Tiamat rolls shit on every single one of her saves, because if she passes even one of them without spending legendary resistance, they're all out of spells that can affect her.

To make matters worse, it's likely that a party will not be fully aware of how her spell immunity works, at least not without a little trial and error. They may waste some turns casting spells of level 1-6 at her, or they may mess up and spend level 7-9 spell slots on support or damage rather than disabling her.
>>
>>50279776
Of course. Tiamat is fucking hard. But it's possible.
>>
>>50278745
>>50278960
said

It's fine if the DM decides an attack causes some effect on the monster to mix things up, but the players actively trying to achive it would be broken.
>>
>>50279776
>>50279642
An alternative is an all martial party. Strength Fighters work best for this (due to more strength boosting items), really, but it can be any other high damage dealer. You're likely to beat Tiamat's initiative. Everybody just pile on and give it everything you've got. 615 isn't that hard when you've got 5 bruisers.
>>
File: 1478642902125.jpg (966KB, 874x963px) Image search: [Google]
1478642902125.jpg
966KB, 874x963px
/pfg/ here.

How do I convert my kitsune oracle (divine sorcerer, not necessarily fighty) to 5e?
>>
>>50279839
I don't play PF, what are a kitsune's race stats?
>>
>>50279723
Not him, but if the fighter has 16 Str, a greatsword, gwm, action surges, gets 4 crits and rolls max damage on everything, he can do 148 damage.
>>
>>50279832
Might work. The five legendary actions will still be an issue even before her first turn, but that means only two breath weapons and a relatively weak bite.

That's also assuming you played through the whole campaign with an all-martial party. Optimizers have this habit of pretending that tabletop RPGs are like Garry's Mod and a player can just drop anything in there without building it up first.
>>
>>50277192
Str*15 is just carrying capacity.

You can carry str*15 pounds worth of stuff without issue.

You could probably lift a mountain with much less, but not carry it around like it's nothing.

Especially if you're a goliath, you have bear barbarian's level 6 and you have the spell that doubles carrying capacity.
Then you'll probably want a magic item that increases your carrying capacity.
And then you just need to benchpress hills every day to git gud.
>>
>>50279839
There are suggested rules for a Favored Soul sorcerer online, I believe in the article about how to adjust classes. They do pick up some more combat based stuff like armor and weapons, but if you mainly take it for the healing spells and focus your other sorcerer spell slots on the arcane divination options, I think it would work out.

Kitsune is a harder question, since I don't think there's a fitting race. Half-elf might fit best with a bit of refluffing.
>>
>>50279839
Oracles a weird one. Without any details on the flavor of your character or your intended goal, it's hard to give a real answer.

There's Favored Soul Sorcerers, probably your best bet.
>>
>>50279839
Ask for that cat girl homebrew race with +2 Dex +1 Cha and 40 move. Then play a knowledge cleric with lots of fluffing. Almost as much fluff as your tail you cute little degenerate.
>>
File: 1477432388271.jpg (32KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1477432388271.jpg
32KB, 500x500px
>>50279839
You don't.
>>
>>50279854
If it was a human fighter, they also might have 18 strength at that point. Still means that they probably needed to get a couple crits and roll very well on damage for that result, though it's not impossible by any means.
>>
>>50279839
Here's your homebrew race. Use this and the Favored Soul archetype for the Sorcerer.
>>
>>50279868
It can work with the right archetypes, but getting there will be more difficult.
>>
>>50279854
>>50279907
Many people roll for stats this edition, so 18-20 is possible. There's also damage from battlemaster die to consider. 127 is on the lower end of what a lucky fighter can do
>>
>>50279941
True, battlemaster maneuvers would drive that up even further. I think as long as he crit once for the extra bonus action attack from GWM and rolled well on damage, he'd be able to get there easily.
>>
>>50279916
I still need to revise that. It's on the weaker side of player races
>>
File: 58883630_p0.png (988KB, 999x1330px) Image search: [Google]
58883630_p0.png
988KB, 999x1330px
>>50279850
-2 Str, +2 Dex, +2 Int or Cha.

>>50279883
Is there a less fighty favored soul?

>>50279893
My Pathfinder kitsune is a Lore oracle who's good at knowing everything.

>>50279897
Is there a Charisma cleric?

>>50279916
Foxes are not wolves!
>>
>>50279994
I don't really like that help action on reaction per ten minutes, seems just like free inspiration per combat.

What if they have some combat info? Like they know if a creature is under half of his Max HP. It means those who play clerics with that wisdom can in character know whose hurt, or they know who to focus.
>>
>>50279897
Why is playing a kitsune = degenerate?
>>
>>50280022
Asking a DM if you can use charisma instead of wisdom for your cleric ability doesn't seem that bad, swapping good perception insight survival and medicine for persuasion and deception seems fine.
>>
>>50279839
What is it with Pathfinder and anime shit? The OP image on every Pathfinder General is some kind of anime girl. From what I've read, Pathfinder borrows from a lot of different genres of pop culture, but people gravitate toward the two or three things based on anime. The one time I played PFS, more than half of the party were kitsune, and their players didn't even know each other. This is a game with dozens upon dozens of playable races.

Anyway, to answer your question, you're going to have to pick the most important thing about your character (flavor-wise, not rules-wise) and do extreme rebuilding up from that. Maybe it'll be a Knowledge cleric or a divination wizard. It'll definitely be a different race.
>>
>>50280022
There isn't really a less combat based favored soul, but it is just a suggestion rather than an official class anyway. You could probably ask your DM to use it but swap out the extra weapons, armor, and attacks for another benefit. Maybe one of the divination school features?

Half-elf is probably the best fit for Race mechanically, as they get a Charisma boost and some extra stats and skills. Just need to call it a kitsune instead.
>>
>>50279941
Are superiority die used for damage also doubled on a crit? I'd assume so.
In that case, if he made 5 attacks (action surge and gwm bonus action as >>50279977
mentioned,) rolled max damage on EVERYTHING, and had 20 Str, the fighter could do 275 damage.
Wow.
>>
File: ohyeah.png (347KB, 595x619px) Image search: [Google]
ohyeah.png
347KB, 595x619px
>>50280070
>why is playing foxgirls degenerate
because it's playing as fetish waifu stuff literally always ever, which is degenerate. no exceptions.
>>
File: 48252762_p0_master1200.jpg (650KB, 1000x875px) Image search: [Google]
48252762_p0_master1200.jpg
650KB, 1000x875px
>>50280080
>>50280092
Knowledge cleric with a homebrew for Charisma sounds good.

What about the fox shapeshifting?

Is there a good and strong unarmored cleric?
>>
>>50280093
Meaning that he'd only need to get around half of that to get the 127. That is quite a nova round.
>>
>>50280055
Combat info like that is of very dubious quality.
>>
>>50280091
>more than half of the party were kitsune, and their players didn't even know each other

I don't believe you.
>>
>>50280122
Divine casters tend to be more focused on armor rather than unarmored like arcane ones. That's why I suggested Sorcerer but swapping out the armor proficiencies.

Other option would be to take a level in Monk, but that might require more Wisdom and Dex to get good AC.
>>
>>50280122
If you take a level of monk or barbarian you can get unarmored defense, monk's is dex+wis, barb's is dex+con.
>>
>>50280141
It's true, though. Three of the five players there, all greasy fat guys, were playing female kitsune. The one actual girl at the table was playing a wayang, something I cannot give her enough credit for.
>>
>>50280122
The DMG specifically says you can make changes like this for cleric, 10+Dex+Charisma is a fine AC. If you started with 16 Dex and Cha you would have 16 AC and that is just chainmail.

You can max Charisma and at level 8 you can have 18 AC, which is just chainmail and shield.
>>
>>50279723
Four attacks, all power strikes with Great Weapon Master (which only landed because of Faerie Fire and Bless), two of which crit, and all of which had superiority die on them.

It's effectively using every single resource available, and it demands a lot of support from the rest of the party (not to mention luck).

>>50279699
Dexterity also has the better ranged weapons, one of the major saving throws, Stealth, and so on. Light Armor ends up having the exact same AC as Heavy Armor at the end of the day, without having a penalty to stealth. Dexterity also doesn't have a distance dead zone.

Strength is a completely awful stat. It's just that Fighters are finally good at doing what they do. It's not as if a Bow Battlemaster wouldn't have done pretty much the same amount of damage.
>>
>>50280122
There's a shapeshifting, minimally-armored cleric out there already. It's called a druid.
>>
File: 59612725_p0.png (690KB, 700x990px) Image search: [Google]
59612725_p0.png
690KB, 700x990px
>>50280150
>>50280166
None of those unarmored stuff sound very Cha-friendly.

Maybe I should homebrew a Lore oracle domain for clerics with no armor and Charisma? Is there anything like that floating around?

What about the fox shapeshifting?
>>
If the bonus attack from a crit with GWM crits do you get a second bonus attack?
>>
>>50280237
Do you somehow have a second bonus action?
>>
>>50280194
>10+Dex+Charisma is a fine AC

Horseshit, that's worse AC than medium armor and a shield.
>>
>>50280219
If you limit it to once a day, you can make your own background feature kitsune turn into a typical fox for 1 hour. No combat bonus just good at being a fox. Proficiency in deception and and survival
>>
>>50280219
Well, you could just copy the metallic dragon's shapeshifting and say you keep all your stats when in fox form or whatever. Or you could find the stats for a fox/fox equivalent in the mosnter manual and use wildshape rules (with infinite usage) to become it. If we're homebrewing then it's all up to the DM so nothing concrete sorry.
>>
File: 43519644_p0.png (593KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
43519644_p0.png
593KB, 800x600px
>>50280206
But druids aren't very... oracle-y, or Charisma-y.

>>50280274
This sounds like a great idea!

Half-elf for stats, kitsune shapeshifting for background, and some homebrew unarmored Lore oracle with Cha casting for a cleric domain. Sounds good?
>>
>>50280255
It doesn't need to be better it just needs to fit the character. If it's actually putting someone at a disadvantage for numbers for the sake of roleplay and flavor I'm fine with it.
>>
>>50280219
Whenever people come to /5eg/ trying to convert their old characters, they get way too hung-up on the details. It's a different system. Things are going to be different. You're likely not to have the exact combination of ability scores, abilities, and equipment as before.
>>
>>50280295
Sounds like a pathfinder build if I've ever heard it. Good luck.
>>
Does the pathfinder Oracle let you base your AC off of Charisma or something? This guy is making it sound like the class literally only uses Charisma to do everything.
>>
>>50280345
No, I'm pretty sure the Pathfinder Oracle also gets Medium armor and shields just like all the 5e Divine casters that got suggested.
>>
File: 4490097d4211174533c681223a3e3ad9.jpg (921KB, 948x1276px) Image search: [Google]
4490097d4211174533c681223a3e3ad9.jpg
921KB, 948x1276px
>>50280345
Oracles with the right feats, basically, yeah.
>>
>>50280345
The online SRD says it uses light and medium armor but you can't show your tits off in half plate.
>>
>>50280389
Lore, Lunar, and Nature oracles basically drop their armor after a certain point.
>>
>>50276363
Probably between 100 and 200xp

Oreioth from PotA is a 6th Necro and he is CR 2
>>
>>50279839
I have a homebrew kitsune race, but in my experience, the shapeshifting is rarely worth bothering. Still, if you're curious... and, head's up, the Fox Magic feat is apparently insanely broken; I'd dearly love to get some help making it less batshit insane whilst preserving PF's idea of "feat + level gives you more spell-like abilities".

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1XovWm65MSmIzQWSMDMXo0_aIpZgq9YSa2KkpO3kThS4/edit#heading=h.8zyt8oowjw1h
>>
>>50280329
I think they want to play a http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/oracle , but in 5e. Yeah

Here's what I found with a quick google search

https://dungeonmusings.wordpress.com/2015/04/09/vessels-of-the-divine-oracles-in-5th-edition-dungeons-dragons/

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1yVukZqM_NT7iVXOwxlN2BYdhNKnhepQzSZ0bhRZeeq4/edit

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?481588-D-amp-D-5e-Homebrew-Compendium-2

Perhaps using a converted Oracle will work better for your Oracle concept.
>>
>>50280372
>>50280345
Not baked in by default, but there are options you can take to make it happen, yeah.
>>
>>50279247
5 evocation wizard spamming magic missiles win easily
>>
File: 59690757_p0.jpg (3MB, 3514x4000px) Image search: [Google]
59690757_p0.jpg
3MB, 3514x4000px
>>50280505
>>50280524
I'll look into these. Thanks a bunch!
>>
>>50280295
Go warlock with mask of many faces.

Done.

Homebrew is a dangerous game.
>>
I'm playing a home brewed setting based on the Half-Orc series, my DM said since I'm playing a wizard I have to be apart of the Council Towers.

As someone who hasn't read the books, can anyone give me some insight on the Council Towers? The wikis are less than helpful and the DM is having some writer's block about it.
>>
File: 97689948048ab063407cdfa953d8073c.png (602KB, 777x1080px) Image search: [Google]
97689948048ab063407cdfa953d8073c.png
602KB, 777x1080px
>>50280560
Do warlocks really fit the whole knowledge skill monkey thing though?

'Sides, my character had a fox form, not lots of humanoid forms!
>>
>>50279776
at 20th level you have two level 7 spell slots and you can always portent her saves.
>>
>>50280583
At some point you just have to accept that things might not fit perfectly.
>>
>>50280538
>>50280381
As a Pathfinder player who also plays 5e:

5e doesn't have anything even close to the customization options to fit whatever concept you're going for that Pathfinder does.

Most of the people I know who prefer pathfinder do so because they like being able to customize their characters to a much higher degree than 5e allows, want a wider variety of class features than 5e provides, or prefer a game with much more magic items than 5e assumes will be available.
>>
Inspired by the /pfg/ and our recent convert's conversation, what races would you consider "waifu based/fodder/sourcing" and are there any that you'd actually allow in your 5e games?

For example, kitsunes, catgirls, lamias/nagas, kobolds, golls and orcs all seem to have seen some level of vogue as "/tg/ waifus", from my experience.
>>
>>50279247
100 wands of Magic missle with any kind of bum fuck who can point a wand does 1000 force damage if all cast at the lowest level. Everyone have a readied action to cast the wand, she is summoned, everyone uses reaction and done.
>>
>>50280619
>>50280560
The unwillingness to accept that is the source of all homebrew.
>>
>>50280569
i think you might want to make a thread regarding the series, rather than assume we know anything about it.
>>
>>50280641
i did ask for a reasonably sized party
>>
>>50280632
Anything that can have child bearing hips and a sultry glance is waifu material to me, so your answer is yes.
>>
>>50280583
One of the invocations is 'gain persusasion and deception proficiency' which puts you at same number of non-tool proficiencies as a rogue, but it's probably not worth an invocation. Then, races can give you extra skills. A variant human could start with as many as four extra.

The way 5e normally works is that you can't say 'I want to be X, so I'll be X.' You have to design character with 5e in mind, so transfer to 5e isn't very easy.
If you want to be a skill monkey goblin or whatever that's fine, but it's not as good as being one of the races that actually gives skill proficiencies.
You can ask your DM to allow things, but your best bet is to refluff something that already exists. That's kind of being suggested with the 'use half-elf stats', for example.

Do as much as you can without resorting to homebrew, then only really resort to homebrew if the DM is fine and you really can't manage.
>>
>>50280632
I dont get my players from tg, so i tend to allow most of those if the campaign premise fits.

kitsune, kobolds, gnolls, orcs, have all seen play in my games, and orcs and kobolds see play somewhat regularly.

but i run games with 3e style deekin/meepo kobolds, not the /d/eviant kobolds you see on tg.
>>
>>50280668
>his warlock can't use 51 wands at once
>>
>>50280641
Doesn't tiamat have immunity to spells of level 6 or lower?
>>
>>50280641
That won't work, though. She's immune to spells of less than level 7.
>>
>>50280680
>>>50280583
>The way 5e normally works is that you can't say 'I want to be X, so I'll be X.' You have to design character with 5e in mind, so transfer to 5e isn't very easy.
Big reasons to prefer a game with a glut of options like pathfinder or a point-based custom tailored character game like gurps. Also a big reason people say "5e has too little character option support". Also why there's so much homebrew for 5e - you might like the basic system but not be satisfied with any of the classes.
>>
>>50280725
Do you need to hold the wand properly to use it or could you just tape a bunch of them together?
A mighty faggot of magic to slay dragons.
>>
>>50280771
One of my favorite things about 5e is the consistency of its class and archetype design.

If you wanted to homebrew something, it's not hard to make an archetype. In fact, it's very simple, fun and unless you're trying to break the game, the rules for doing so are balanced.
>>
File: 5th-edition-halfling.jpg (66KB, 500x703px) Image search: [Google]
5th-edition-halfling.jpg
66KB, 500x703px
>>50280632
The only race that I'd completely ban is kitsune and ears-and-tail-style beastfolk. The others can be saved if they're handled tastefully by players who have motivations other than getting aroused.

A lot of it hinges on the art style, oddly enough. What's in the books you're using and what's allowed for use as character portraits. 5e has this nice, respectable, un-sexy art style. Everything seems to have a life of its own other than as someone's masturbation fantasy, even deliberately sexy creatures like dryads. Anime is just the opposite. With most of it you see it and you just think "porn."
>>
>>50280668
Alright I'll pull from my high level campaign. When my paladin critted her alpha strike with Banishing smite she ended up doing over 200 damage in 1 turn, including sacred weapon she had +21 to hit. Here are the numbers 4d6+10d10(BSmite)+12d8(DSmiteFiend)+2d8(IDSmite)+2d6+6d8(DSmite)+d8(IDSmite)+14(+7Str) Normally this does a little over a hundred, so if 5 of my Paladins hit Tiamat with that +21 to hit she could be downed, so it's possible.
>>
>>50280771
The thing is, with enough creativity you can make almost any sort of sensible character from 5e.

5e just doesn't facilitate completely outrageous characters, such as 'I want to be a super-strong gnome that fights by throwing many rocks in quick succession'
It's lower powered, after all.
While you can fluff a long way, mechanical variation does indeed stop when the classes stop.

Still, there are things I don't like, such as how skills are used. Intellect is barely useful outside of the very few things that actually have use for it.
>>
>>50280771
Except most of the options in Pathfinder are terrible trap options.

It isn't even like 5e didn't have what they were asking for anyway. Favored Soul sorcerer is literally the same as an Orcale, just lacking the same option to go unarmored with a feat. You could still do it, cast mage armor for AC, and have something that fills the exact same roll.

Kitsune is harder, but as has been pointed out, is very easy to do by just using stats for a similar race and adding a limited ability to turn into a fox.

You can get the flavor, or you can get the mechanics, but it's unreasonable to assume that both will line up 1 for 1 in every case.
>>
>>50280821
absolutely.

5e has less moving parts than a game like pathfinder, you don't have drastically different number scaling for different parts of the character.

i was responding to mr. "homebrew is bad" about how his "refluff what you can and then give up" isnt satisfactory for everyone.
>>
>>50280763
The wand allows the spell to be cast at a higher level, using all the charges at once makes a level 7 spell but that's even more d4s. 900d4+900 to be exact. And that can kill Tiamat 5 times over.
>>
>>50280863
There only being one class with their primary stat as intelligence does make my wizardless party struggle a bit with knowledge checks, even those with a smattering of proficiencies.
>>
>>50280888
Then use less peasants and less wands and get them to cast it at the higher level.

Though, really, what we truly want is having lots of low level characters that don't require funky magical items.

Get enough level 2 portent wizards and they can cast save-or-die spells to hell and back.
>>
>>50280874
>Favored Soul sorcerer is literally the same as an Orcale, just lacking the same option to go unarmored with a feat.

Favored soul is also very fighty...
>>
>>50280952
Bard.
>>
File: 1463558725816.jpg (711KB, 2000x3298px) Image search: [Google]
1463558725816.jpg
711KB, 2000x3298px
>>50280995
Bard is a great idea also. It has all kinds of cleric-y spells in 5e too!
>>
>>50280874
>>50280874
>>>50280771 (You)
>Except most of the options in Pathfinder are terrible trap options.
yes, many if them are. that is true. paizo's design/balance policy explicitly only sets a maximum power by core book precedents , they typically don't bother fixing weak options, and if the core book was too weak, the options typically do not improve it.

but even once you remove the traps, the sheer number of options and sources means there are still more viable options and a higher degree of customization than 5e offers.

>You can get the flavor, or you can get the mechanics, but it's unreasonable to assume that both will line up 1 for 1 in every case.
Of course they wont line up every time. But when they don't, if it matters to you for what you want to play, homebrew something.
>>
>>50280952
Pro-tip:

All 5e classes are fighty.
>>
>>50280952
Favored soul is bad if you don't pick the right domain (life is best)

If you're actually planning on melee you also kinda need to start paladin or fighter. 2 paladin/favored soul X would be good

T. Guy who play a 5e favored soul to lvl 9 and was garbage, having not done any of what I suggested above
>>
>>50280952
So is the Orcale! It gets medium armor, shields, and 3/4 BAB progression. That's the same sort of stuff a Favored Soul sorcerer gets. Extra armor and an extra attack. It's on par with Valor bard in terms of combat skill.
>>
I need moar cantrips

Build me the most cantrips build
>>
>>50281059
PF oracles are very good at the unarmored/light armored, pure caster thing.
>>
>>50281071
So is Sorcerer.
>>
>>50281071
And so are Sorcerers! The armor and extra attacks are a bonus on top of all the other stuff a sorcerer usually gets. Nothing stops you from just wearing leather, using a quarterstaff, and casting as normal with whatever extra domain spells you get.

Again, you're complaining that because it doesn't line up perfectly that it somehow won't work.

Oracles are literally Divine Magic sorcerers with extra armor options and better BAB, and you're complaining that a Divine magic sorcerer with extra armor options and an extra attack doesn't fit?
>>
>>50281070
Sorc+magic initiate + warlock with Tome

Assuming sorc 1 lock 3 that's 11 cantrips right dere

Use agonizing blaste EB or get shillelegh from Tome and you're SAD as fug
>>
I'm going to get the books printer tomorrow but I need a better DMG scan. Anyone have anything better than the 100MB one?

I've found a 800MB PHB and 900MB MM.
>>
>>50281070
Level 17 Wizard for 5 Cantrips, 3 Warlock for 3 Cantrips, Magic Initiate every ASI for 2 Cantrips each. Looking in the high teens doe Cantrips.
>>
>>50281079
>>50281106
He's just whining at this point, drop it

Anyone actually wanting to be a fucking kitsune oracle is a fag
>>
>>50281106
Why are you even a Favored Soul at that point?

Just refluff a Dragon sorc.
>>
>>50281142
I know, it just irks me, that's all.

Also, for the record, after thinking it over a Tabaxi Favored Soul (Trickery) Sorcerer would be fun to play out.
>>
>>50281132
jesus fuck.

can i ask why? can you not just buy a hardcopy?
>>
>>50281122
>>50281138
Cool

Now, which class (arcane or divine) has the best Cantrip selection
>>
>>50281164
1. Not sold in my country.
2. Dollar too strong against my currency to order from Amazon. I can't just dump 120 liras into a book.
>>
File: 53949019_p0_master1200.jpg (506KB, 1000x724px) Image search: [Google]
53949019_p0_master1200.jpg
506KB, 1000x724px
>>50281163
Some kind of bard with a custom fox shapeshifting background is looking the best way to be a kitsune Lore oracle now!
>>
>>50281070
EK7, duelling/Dragsorc6(fire)/UndyinglightWarlock2/Rogue5
Rapier+shield+sling.
Dex>con/cha>wis>str>int
Spam GFB then bonus to attack.
If enemy is out of range, use eldritch blast and then bonus to make a ranged attack with a sling or something.

This build is focused on mostly dealing damage through cantrips, but if you want as many cantrips as possible then you just fucking get a level in every class and fuck you you have cantrips have fun. Also warlock gives you a few spells at-will, which is just as good as cantrips. Also, high level wizards get one at-will level 1 spell and one at-will level 2 spell.
>>
>>50281156
Because presumably they wanted some divine casting like cure wounds.
>>
>>50281184
>Dollar too strong
We'll fix that soon enough, don't worry.
>>
File: 49478859.jpg (777KB, 918x1332px) Image search: [Google]
49478859.jpg
777KB, 918x1332px
>>50281237
But I can get that as a bard anyway, and it's already Cha based and spontaneous like an oracle. Thanks for the help, /5eg/! Hope you have fun with fluffy tails!
>>
>>50281184
ah. i hate when you just cant get a hardcopy of what you want.

sorry bro, dont have any high dpi filesize 5e book scans.
>>
>>50281211
>>50281070
actually, disregard the stats bit
Str is actually useful if you get 15 in it for an extra AC from heavy armour
But otherwise not

Also just realized you get
>2 cantrips from EK
>4 cantrips from sorcerer
>2 cantrips from warlock
>2 cantrips from AT rogue if you use that
You get another 3 cantrips if you go pact of the tome by levelling warlock up one more

You might want to ask your DM to provide a less bullshit spellcasting multiclass system though, as with AT5/EK7 you get 3 levels of spellcasting, which is exactly the fucking same as an EK7
and if you're an EK7 and get a level in sorcerer, you don't get any levels of spellcasting at all
because fucking wizards
>>
>>50281257
don't worry our politicians are racing you on that, so in the end the rate won't change >.>

>>50281268
I would loooooove a hardcover original copy. But 120 is way too much.

Do you guys think Black Friday would affect the book prices?
>>
>>50281132
Is there an internet-made plaintext white background version of the 5e books yet? i have a huge one for 2e, with a half-naked chick on the cover. pretty nice.

easy on the printer, easy to load into an ebook reader and adjust, easy to copy paste stuff and preserve the text and formatting.

5e.txt or 5e.epub?
>>
>>50281197
why bard, and not favored soul, again? it seems the closer oracle analog.
>>
>>50281309
Youre getting it printed in b&w I assume?
>>
>>50281317
nah haven't seen any ink friendly ones.

All I could find is the same yellow background version.

>>50281347
yeah B&W but the files I have are yellow backgrounded like the actual book.
>>
File: 44232355_p0.png (2MB, 1100x900px) Image search: [Google]
44232355_p0.png
2MB, 1100x900px
>>50281331
Bards use Cha and have spontaneous support spells, and are basically light armor users who can skill monkey around Intelligence skills!
>>
>>50281331
Bard has a number of non-combat features (Probably the most versatile class out of character of all). Even in combat, they can use things like vicious mockery for support over damage.
Is charisma-based
Would likely suit a kitsune type well with all the charms and such
Has good skills (jack of all trades, extra proficiency, expertise, etc)
Has spells, obviously.

The bard does not need to use an instrument if they don't want to. They can use a components pouch instead.
Light armour /medium armour if valor.

I think it fits the bill well enough.
Also bards are just a great class choice.
>>
>>50281331
Not him, but I can see why. Favored Soul is the flavor fit, but Lore Bard might fit better mechanically. They're both still spontaneous and Cha based, but Bard has Expertise and so can focus on knowledge skills to better fit the Lore Oracle angle.
>>
>>50281357
Yeah, those are simply scans of the physical book with some tect recognition software run afterward, because there is no legit digital copy of the 5e books to be had.

I was asking if anybody had come across a bootleg retyping of the books, like I have for some 2e and 3e stuff.
>>
File: 48270912_p0.jpg (975KB, 778x1100px) Image search: [Google]
48270912_p0.jpg
975KB, 778x1100px
>>50281383
>>50281385
These guys are right on! It looks like /5eg/ and /pfg/ can be friends after all!
>>
>>50281400
yeah the text recognition on them isn't that great
>>
>>50281437
Next time when you're asking about conversion, instead of describing the flavor of the class you should focus on the mechanics that you want to reproduce. You could have saved a lot of time if you had opted to describe 'charisma skillmonkey with casting' rather than 'divine instantaneous spellcaster'
>>
Enchanter NPC from Volo's has Dominate Beast which is a Druid/Sorcerer spell

So you'll need to change that
>>
>>50281462
>>50281462
>>50281462
>>50281462

New session thread, gents
>>
>>50281383
Oh, and healing
Forgot that one
>>
>>50281476
fuck off with the anime catgirls, dave
>>
File: 56959647_p0.png (2MB, 1500x1524px) Image search: [Google]
56959647_p0.png
2MB, 1500x1524px
>>50281458
Sorry about that...
>>
>>50281437
This >>50281458 is very good advice. It's better to explain what the key aspects of the character are to you so it's easier to translate whether with fluff or mechanics.
>>
>>50281443
agreed. but I'd also love to be able to have my players (some of which dont have laptops or tablets) able to read and search the rules quickly on their phones.

Or maybe easily print out a mini edition on smaller pages.
>>
How do you make 4 elements monk not shit? They managed to fix beastmaster with a UA, will they do the same for 4e monk?
>>
>>50281512
none of my guys have the PHB. I leave my tablet with the PHB to them in case.

I could theoretically copy all the book into Homebrewery and then edit from there but 300 pages man....
>>
>>50281684
>homebrewery

no no man.

copy it into word/wordpad. you want aomething lean and searchable and something where there is no defined page size.
>>
>>50281705
just basic paragraphs and headers. no page backgrounds. images could be okay but may not be worth it. preferably no defined pages, simply (at most) a marker indicating the page number youre on in the printed copy.
>>
>>50281705
wouldn't that fuck up the tables?
>>
>>50281801
not necessarily, you could still include the tables.

but basically like those old basic html pages. headers, paragraphs, and tables. thats it.
>>
>>50281847
Just tried pasting a couple pages.

The text recognition on the PHB is very very bad. It would require a TON of editing.. Doesn't seem worth the time.

Going to the new thread btw.
Thread posts: 421
Thread images: 48

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.