[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are rangers like in your setting /tg/? >culture has strong

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 5

File: 1478239013616.jpg (94KB, 700x875px) Image search: [Google]
1478239013616.jpg
94KB, 700x875px
What are rangers like in your setting /tg/?
>culture has strong roots in ancient barbarian tribe
>protect not!byzantine's borders
>Sort of a cross between a LOTR ranger, spartan, and a cossack
>>
File: ranger.jpg (114KB, 765x1045px) Image search: [Google]
ranger.jpg
114KB, 765x1045px
>>50270119
fug wrong picture
>>
File: T.E.F.jpg (33KB, 500x700px) Image search: [Google]
T.E.F.jpg
33KB, 500x700px
>Wander the Ash wastes of Old World America
>March out of the last bastion of hope, Texas
>Autonomous authority that operate in cells all over the Ashlands
>Equipped with good solid rifles and ASHPAT camo
>Duties include keeping the supply trains and trade going back and forth
>Special Forces of the Lone Fort State
>>
>>50270124
TOO LATE, we talking police force rangers now.
>>
>classes actually exist as discrete in-universe things
This is the ultimate TTRPG cancer.
>>
>>50270119
So akritai
>>
>>50270119
Rangers shouldn't be one thing or the other. It's a flexible skillset that can arise in any number of cultures.
>>
File: 201108180327543cb.jpg (419KB, 900x1267px) Image search: [Google]
201108180327543cb.jpg
419KB, 900x1267px
>>50270119
Smug Dragon Police Lady.
>>
Sworn protectors of the realms of civilization against the horrors of nature
>>
>>50270535
>2016
>People still don't understand basic game concepts
>>
>>50270535
>Rangers
>Typically have a specific skill set that is found in many different cultures
>Can be called whatever they like
>Typically called Rangers in Western settings

Why does that upset you?
>>
Hadn't put it into practice, but I had made up a ranger order that ran graveyards out in an area known for being infested with necromancers and undead, and they would offer to take the recently deceaced to their graveyards for, quite litteraly, two pieces of silver (either to melt down to make weapons or for actually making a bit of money). Obviously, they all take some kind of undead or humanoid as their preferred enemy to hunt down and destroy undead and necromancers.
>>
File: 3.jpg (90KB, 750x519px) Image search: [Google]
3.jpg
90KB, 750x519px
>>50270119

I try to come up with at least three pre-generated orders for every class in the PHB 3.5 for my campaign setting. For rangers I have the following:

>The Black Watch
In the southern reaches of the Aedyrn Marshlands an ancient order of rangers maintain a delicate defense against the reptilian tribes that seek to encroach on the civilized lands. Skilled in combating kobolds and their draconic overlords, members of the Black Watch are famous for their mastery of their exotic repeating crossbows.

>Raynald's Rangers
Throughout the succession war of 1212 AB, the warring families of the Western kingdoms employed the usage of mercenary companies en masse. Many companies rose to prominence and later fell shattered but one company that endured were the Rangers of one Captain Raynald. Infamous for their ruthlessness, Raynald's Rangers ran a successful guerrilla campaign that secured the throne for House Dyn, as well as power, wealth, and influence for the Rangers.

>Snow Wolves
Not all the wolves of the white wastes hunt on four legs. Rumors tell of an ancient order of warriors who guard the frozen north, defending their borders and what lays within with single minded determination. Stranger rumors abound still of the same mysterious warriors embarked on quests in the south, to what purpose none can say. All that is known is that these warriors are always accompanied by great northern wolves, and that they are as deadly as their namesake.
>>
Came up with a setting in which the UK and France have been at war for some considerable time. The entire English Channel was essentially once giant no mans land. Shattered with artillery and with ad-hoc units forming from the broken remains of other regiments in a pre-WW1 timeline, set in a tech level between WW1 and Crimean War.

One was the Pontoon Footsloggers.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.