[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

First time GMing, what should I be asking myself?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 6

File: The-Great-Work-Map-900x600.jpg (99KB, 900x600px) Image search: [Google]
The-Great-Work-Map-900x600.jpg
99KB, 900x600px
I'm thinking about running a modern day RP soon using the Delta Green system, however instead of Cthulhu etc it would the occult and secret societies. The players would roll characters from all walks of life - ex-security for a celebrity who dabbled in perverse spiritualism, blogger who is into conspiracy, police officer who saw the wrong thing on duty, a government worker who finds a cover up etc etc.

Is Delta Green the best system for what I have in mind? What do I need to think about when building this setting?
>>
>>50269380
I'm going to be GMing for the first time as well. Rather than making another thread, I'll simply ask in this thread for baseline advice, shit every GM needs to know, etc. Also any system-specific advice (I'm running Pathfinder because that's what my players are used to) would be appreciated.

Sorry to shit up your thread, OP. But hey, at least you get a free bump out of it!
>>
>>50269380
>>what should I be asking myself?
>"Am I gay?"
>"Why am I playing with little plastic dolls and pretending to be a fairy princess?"
>"Was it because mommy never showed me any love?"

Start with those. Once you've satisfactorily answered those, you might be able to GM with some competence.
>>
>>50269380
that is the best system.
however, you should be asking your self this question
>why am I doing this with my life?
>>
>>50269380
I think Unknown Armies might do what you're going for.
>>
>>50270187
>The golden rule: Prepare lots, plan little.

Basically, have a world ready for your players to explore in, but don't plan an elaborate murder mystery that your players may very well ignore in order to go kill some goblins down by the river.

I like to think about it like this: DMing is all about building a path for your players to go on. How you build that path determines how good you are as a DM
-An absolutely terrible GM will have no materials prepared and their players will fall into an abyss of nothing
-A bad GM will have a path built, and will forcibly pick up their players and walk the path for them since that is the only path they have
-A good GM will have a path prepared, but is willing to build alternate paths that lead back to their main one if the players stray
-A great GM has no path built at all. Instead they have the materials ready and build the path right in front of the players as they walk
>>
>>50273604
Thank you. I'll remember to keep it in my mind.
>>
File: Demons in pheonix.jpg (81KB, 539x1087px) Image search: [Google]
Demons in pheonix.jpg
81KB, 539x1087px
>>50269380
>>
>>50273604
Here, have some tomes of madness for them to find
>>
>>50273785
I've always wondered if that thing was real or a hoax.
>>
>>50273785
>>
File: first time DM.png (110KB, 1376x273px) Image search: [Google]
first time DM.png
110KB, 1376x273px
>>50273604
This
No matter what you do, the players will catch you off guard.
>>
>>50269380
The new DG edition is very solid, yet simple. Is it the best for what you want to play? Maybe. Other possible option would be Unknown Armies, Over the Edge, Kult, Demon City Shinjuku, nWOD, and I don't even counted generic systems.
>>
Prepare some cults, conspirations, important NPCs and places. Then, define how they relations are. Add maybe a few recurring NPCs. This will give you some structure and safety while giving your players the needed freedom.
>>
File: file.png (155KB, 1373x797px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
155KB, 1373x797px
>>50273785
I started reading this and though it actually made some sort of sense until I reached the last few pages.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.