[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ D&D 5th Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 355
Thread images: 42

File: the_city_of_galastan2.jpg (1MB, 1144x1632px) Image search: [Google]
the_city_of_galastan2.jpg
1MB, 1144x1632px
>Latest News:
-New Unearthed Arcana: Bard Colleges: http://media.wizards.com/2016/dnd/downloads/UA_Bard.pdf
-Volo's Guide to Monsters out in the trove!

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
https://mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
https://mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>/tg/ character sheets
https://mega.nz/#F!x0UkRDQK!l-iAUnE46Aabih71s-10DQ

Last Session: >>50258870

Have you ever played an investigation scenario or a mystery campaign?
What did you like about it? What did you hate?
>>
>>50264966

Reposting

>I think making the culprits humanoids (and, by definition, easy to interact with) could be a good beginning.

Nah, extraordinary culprits are ok, but unless you want to make the mystery frustrating, there needs to be enough clues to point toward each elements of the mystery.

At least, that contextually the characters can understand what's going on.

Or, if it stays unexplained/is trully unknown, then make it an hook for something else.

>An unknown spell was used. Who could have such a thing?

Context and clues are important. If you see a guy who got a big mace through the head, you don't really suspect mind flayers as your first try.

>dat pic

>Frost kings: "Fuck your boring-ass crypts and mausoleums, we want a tomb that look like a sword."
>>
What's new with liches in 5e?
>>
I'm DMing a campaign for a group of inquisitives. Every session is a mystery.
Half of the time I'm flying by the seat of my pants, but the players enjoy it.
In one session of a classic dinner party murder, they were convinced the pet bird did it for a while.
It kinda did, since it flew in the window while a guest was ODing and tripping balls, prompting them to stab themselves.
>>
>>50265243
They're watered down garbage like everything else in 5e.
>>
>>50265243
The monster manual makes it clear that they have to steal souls to stay alive, which various settings have gone back-and-forth on.
>>
>>50265252
4pbp
>>
I'm dumb, as asked in last bread:

Can I get a compare / contrast of minor illusion and prestidigitation?
>>
>>50265252
>>50265269
Ugh. Wasn't a fan of that. Thanks.
>>
>>50265243

They have to consume souls to stay sane, and basically the only option for anyone who want to become a lich is to make a bargain with Orcus in exchange for the knowledge
>>
>>50265315
They are both the best spells in the game.
>>
Anons? I was going over my old copy of The Complete Necromancer's Handbook, and since we got a "Kits of Old" unearthed arcana last year, I was curious: do folks think that the "Undead Master" kit could maybe be adapted into a 5e Wizard tradition?

In AD&D, this was a necromancer who could also cast Enchantment skills as well as Command & Bind undead, fiends and extraplanar creatures as though they were a cleric. The downside was they only got 1 weapon proficiency and they couldn't cast Alteration (I think that's Transmutation, now?), Illusion or Divination spells.
>>
>>50265330
Curse of Strahd has a way to become a lich in game.
>>
>>50265330
The whole point of lichdom is to make a path to immortality of your own power, so you don't have to make deals with higher powers.
>>
>>50265390
You have to get the ritual somehow, by finding it, stealing it, or bartering for it. How independent you are afterwards depends on exactly the ritual you got.
By default in FR, this is done via deals with Orcus, lord of undeath. In CoS you can make a deal with the Dark Powers.
>>
speaking of warlocks, have anyone had success with the GOO patron?
i wish there was more eldritch stuff in 5e, cthulhus are so much fun.
>>
>>50265341
There could be a way of doing that. Maybe have some of their fancier features require spending spell slots or Arcane Recovery.
>>
>>50265215
We did a murder mystery at a wedding once.

>Party consists of a couple sorcerers, a rogue, and a cleric (me)
>We're members of the setting equivalent of the FBI
>Negotiate an arranged wedding between the son of a gnomish mafioso and the daughter of a halfling brewer (a friend of ours)
>Basically he gave us some information about the mafia leaders and we arranged the marriage
>Attend the wedding because the rest of the party thinks it'll be fun
>Wedding is going fine
>Gnomish mafioso steps out for a moment
>Shortly after there's a shriek from a nearby restroom
>Gnomish mafioso was murdered
>We immediately lock down the area and call for backup
>Start searching for clues
>Find a bloody knife among some dishes
>We're certain it's the murder weapon, but unsure how to proceed
>The sorcerers come up with a plan
>We gather up everyone who was at the wedding
>The sorcerers reveal the dagger to everyone and claim that they'll use a powerful ritual in order to find the killer
>Using minor illusion and prestidigitation, they bullshit a ritual while I watch the crowd like a hawk for anyone looking nervous
>Immediately spot one of the guests looking spooked
>We bring him in for questioning
>Sorcerers interrogate him while I act as a human polygraph
>Reveals that he was blackmailed by the mafia into doing it
>We get the information we can out of him and then arrest him

All that said, we probably could've solved the whole thing in a couple minutes if I'd remembered to prepare Speak With Dead.
>>
>>50265325

Wasn't a fan of what?

>>50265315

>a compare / contrast of minor illusion and prestidigitation?

>Prestidigitation

You can create an instant harmless sensory effect, like a blue spark or a faint smell, you can create a trinket or and illusion that stands in your hand for one turn, you can mark a surface with a color or symbol, you can clean/make dirty a surface, you can light/snuff a small fire, you can warm or cool unliving matter.

It has either a very limited in size, believability (as in, it can't fool anyone ) and duration (a turn max) illusion, or has a very limited physical effect.

>Minor illusion

You can create a sound ranging from faint to pretty loud or a 5ft-cube-or-smaller image.

It lasts 1 min max.

People needs to do an Intelligence (Investigation) vs your spell save DC to realize it is false, which means that you have a good chance to fool people with it unless they have tangible proof of the contrary.
>>
>>50265315
Prestidigitation is helpful more often than Minor Illusion, but Minor Illusion is super-helpful more often than Prestidigitation.

Like, if you take Prestidigitation you'll be using it several times a day. If you take Minor Illusion, you might go quite a while without using it, but the times you use it will be more critical.

I'll admit I've got a soft spot for illusionists, so this isn't a totally impartial evaluation.
>>
>>50265315
Prestidigitation's effects are usually real. You really can light a torch, clean a suit of clothes, flavor some food, or make a trinket, even if the latter two don't last longer than an hour. Minor Illusion can be identified as an illusion and can't be touched in any way, but its effects are bigger, so you can make a continuous sound or (as my halfling arcane trickster liked to do) make the illusion of a barrel and then hide inside it.
>>
>>50265390
>The whole point of lichdom is to make a path to immortality of your own power, so you don't have to make deals with higher powers.

Nah, the whole point is flawed immortality.

Independance is welcomed, but hard to get.
>>
>>50265488
I'd love to figure out a way to pull it off. The first thing to come to mind is that, obviously, the spellbook feature applies to Necromancy, Enchantment and Conjuration - maybe doubling the price of Transmutation, Illusion and Divination spells is a fair balance to that?
>>
>>50265341
Playing something similar, basically applying "Beastmaster Ranger" to Wizard with the following changes.

Instead of an animal obviously, you get a Skeleton or Zombie.
Co-ordinated attack triggers off casting a Cantrip, not attacking.
>>
>>50265541
I guess. If I were designing the archetype for a mass audience I wouldn't go with that (it's uncommon for a feature to include a penalty to it, unless that penalty specifically applies to the feature being granted), but if this is just for you and your games then it'd work okay.

Alternatively, the standard spellbook feature halves both the cost and the time spent. If it were to halve only the time spent, not the cost, then it'd probably be fine.

Or maybe instead of a tradition, it could be an outright variant (like the ranger without spells).
>>
>>50265488

It wouldn't be hard to make a Wizard School that use Necromancy Savant as a base, but can use features similar to a Cleric's Channel Divinity
>>
>>50265622
Halving only the time really does make more sense. 5e followed in 4e's footsteps by staying away from class/race penalties, so I'd like to preserve that.

Oh? How would you make it as a class (Necromancer?) variant as opposed to its own subclass?
>>
>>50265647
It'd be similar to what you're proposing, but you'd have more flexibility (e.g. you could do the double-cost to copy transmutation/illusion/divination stuff if you wanted).

Just a suggestion. A tradition could work, too.
>>
Hey all, I've been looking into warlock lately and I can't wrap me head around their spells. How many casts to they get per day? the way it's written gives me a headache.
>>
>>50265813
Their spells aren't measured in spells per day. All it takes is a short rest to get all their spell slots back. The downside is that they get very few spell slots, and those slots are all the same level.
>>
>>50265709
>>50265341
Here's some stuff I usually do when I'm designing an archetype.

To start, I make a list of what I think the archetype's most essential features are; the ones that make it what it is. This is especially helpful if you're adapting an earlier class/kit/whatever.

(I don't usually adapt stuff from previous editions, the exception being the Seeker from 4e, so that's what I'm including here as an example. I'm not totally satisfied with it as it is, though.)

For the Seeker, I took its basic concept (imbuing arrows with primal spirits which apply control effects in theory), its archetype-independent class feature (Inevitable Shot), and its coolest power (Feyjump Shot) to start.

Next, I pare down and adjust the language to fit with 5e's mechanics. Modifiers to rolls become either advantage/disadvantage or modifiers to static numbers, etc.

Then, figure out at which level it's most appropriate to get each feature. This can take some tweaking; some things to consider are the guidelines in the Class Design Variants UA, the tier at which they get the feature, and the spells available at that level. Buffs and penalties can be added to the feature to make it fit better; one penalty you can use is that the feature consumes a resource that's used for the class's main features (e.g. a feature that consumes a use of the druid's Wild Shape or X spell levels from Arcane Recovery).

>>50265813
Warlocks don't get "spells per day"; instead, they recover their spell slots when they complete a short rest. In theory, if the party keeps taking short rests, they could have any number of spells before they have to take a long rest.

In general, the assumed number of short rests per day is 2, but it depends on circumstances, your party, and your DM.
>>
>>50265918
What do you mean they are all the same level?
>>
File: 0ttBRmb.jpg (105KB, 1138x712px) Image search: [Google]
0ttBRmb.jpg
105KB, 1138x712px
>>50266049
Where it says Slot Level, all of the spells the warlock casts are at that spell slot level.
>>
Thinking of making a fighter/barbarian tank with a battle axe and shield.

Would a battleaxe benefit from a Half-Orc's Savage attack? Or should I go human variant and get some extra feats?

Would Champion be a good archetype to dip into?

Heavy armor or light armor?
>>
Warlocks can cast as many spells as they have invocations.

Fixed.
>>
>>50266212
Woah, that means warlocks only get 2 spells per rest up until 10th level? that seems a bit low
>>
>>50266376
Remember, they're both 5th level. And they get them back on a short rest. They can nuke someone, take an hour nap, and do it again.
>>
>>50266376
Short rest abilities are balanced around two short rests for every long rest. So it's supposed to be around 6 spell slots for one adventuring day.
>>
>>50266217

Funny how Conan is so often depicted as bare-chested.

Conan wore armor as much as he could, because he didn't want to die
>>
>>50266412
>>50266393
not him but non of my campaigns have been like this, i just don't understand how the developers expect 6~8 encounter per adventuring day and still achieve anything remotely relevant plot-wise in less than twenty million years worth of sessions.
>>
>>50266457
Encounters are anything that makes the party expend resources, really. Social stuff can often be as much of an encounter as a straight up fight.
>>
>>50266217
The barbarian loses some of its benefits when wearing heavy armor. I think either medium armor or relying on Unarmored Defense would be better.

>Savage Attacker
I guess? Savage Attacker is a bigger benefit for something like a greataxe. If your heart is set on fighting with a shield, then it'd probably be better to go with a human.

Champion/Barbarian would be a reasonably good mix. I'm guessing you're going for maximizing your critical hits (though in that case, it'd be better to go with a greataxe and Savage Attacker). Also, that wouldn't really pay off until at least Barbarian 9/Fighter 3. It'd be great when it worked, but it wouldn't be the game-changer you're probably imagining.

I'm working out the math right now, gimme a minnit.
>>
>>50265243
Liches are gay because you've got all these entities (both mortal groups and planar forces like maruts) that are supposed to run around killing them for violating nature / death / fashion sense, but you never ever see or hear anything about these fuckers.

All the liches un-live in a state of perpetual not-giving-a-shit about anything that isn't the PC or other limp-dicked adventuring groups like them which are solely in it for the loot.

You're never going to be walking through the countryside and see a lich and his rapidly-incinerating army speeding past you while a giant beefcake with thunderous hammers for hands chases after them.

You're never going to hear a rumor at the tavern that local lich, Malgrimor the Destructor, had his tower blown the fuck up by a metallic dragon who was finally tired of his shit.

You're not going to be exploring the abandoned basement of a ruined monastery only to find that a lich USED to un-live here, but the local druid conclave swept in a few years back and roto-rootered the guy's asshole with awakened owlbears.

Meanwhile, you can't walk five feet without tripping over the bones of some ancient dragon who's been made into a sick helmet or magical tea kettle.
>>
>>50266581
In my group our gnome necromancer's uncle was a lich. He would occasionally help out the party, until one day he got killed by an adventuring party and the necromancer inherited his lich tomb.
>>
>>50266428
It's the same shit at play when people talk about Gandalf like he was some mighty fire-slingin' war-wizard that all D&D arcanists are patterned after.

Guy basically casts Thunderwave three times over the course of all the books, knocks a few rocks over. That's it.
>>
>>50266457
the designers are fucking dumb with everything regarding the "adventuring day", is why.

>>50266473
Even then, that's a lot of trouble/stuff to be getting into in one day, and usually purely-social encounters simply are not that mechanically draining (because these games mechanics and resource-management rules tend to focus on literal combat, not other things), and then when they might be, they always seem to be excluded from the "counting" of encounters for encounters and resting (probably because they tend to not be mechanically draining?)
>>
File: Cleric and Wizard Discourse.jpg (155KB, 420x566px) Image search: [Google]
Cleric and Wizard Discourse.jpg
155KB, 420x566px
How would you guys feel about making the Feywild into Gensokyo?
>>
>>50266217
In terms of the Champion 3/Barbarian 9 fusion, your per-attack damage would be about half a point higher than if you just went straight Champion 12 with either a battleaxe or a greataxe without Savage Attacker, or with a battleaxe with Savage Attacker. If you had Savage Attacker and wielded a greataxe, your damage would be roughly 2/3 of a point per turn greater than a straight Fighter.

This is only taking into account Improved Critical and Brutal Critical, not stuff like Rage Damage, Reckless Attack, or the bonus from your Fighting Style.
>>
>>50266666
Sweet quints yo. Also I do this already.
>>
>>50266645
I feel like the variant rest rules would work a lot better, long rests are a couple of days (think a weekend) and short rests are 8 hours. That way you can have 6-8 encounters while not spending ages on each day.
>>
File: beatingeveryoneup.png (5KB, 620x130px) Image search: [Google]
beatingeveryoneup.png
5KB, 620x130px
>>50266666
The only thing I make the Feywild into is a nuclear wasteland.
>>
Martial Archetype:

Hermit King.

Farmhand knowledge
At 3rd level when using a simple weapon you add +1 to the attack and damage rolls, you add your strength modifier twice (Up to +2) when using Tridents, and Sickles, these bonuses do not work for weapons in your off hand.

Reaped Rewards
At 7nd level you can pick a simple weapon,that weapon is considered your chosen weapon, and is treated as magic with a +1 to it's attack roll, you also learn one druid cantrip.

Useful Modifications
At 10th level
You make one change to your chosen weapon from the following options:

Extension: Your weapon gains the reach ability, extending it's range by 5ft.

Jagged edges: You take a -5 to your attack roll, if you miss you take 1d6 slashing damage, if you hit your target takes 1d8 slashing damage, upon hitting yourself you must make a DC 13+str mod constitution saving throw or take a further 1d6 bleeding damage

Extended handle: Your Weapon gains versatile, when held in two hands improve the weapons damage die using this list D4, D6, D8, D10, D12 If the weapon uses a D12 for it's damage die this Modification does nothing.

Shaved Weight: Your weapon gains the Thrown property, it deals one less damage die when thrown this way, your weapons range is 30/120.

Slimmed Handle: Your weapon gains Finesse.

You may take another Modification at level 15 and 18.

I'm trying to make a fighter archetype built around using simple weapons, is this too powerful? too weak?
>>
>>50266685
That really fucks anyone who gets their shit back on a long rest
>>
File: 1478679342727.jpg (3MB, 3248x2384px) Image search: [Google]
1478679342727.jpg
3MB, 3248x2384px
Did the one anon making the underwater dungeon for pic related ever post it here?
>>
>>50266581
I'm gonna save this shit and eventually use it
>>
>>50266730
Not really as long as you stick to the 6-8 encounters. Filling a day with that much stuff feels bloated, but any less and you have to make everything harder, and this screws over short rest classes.

If you stick to the number of encounters the game plays much more like intended but with less bloated adventuring days.
>>
Does the Knowledge domain Channel Divinity: Read Thoughts work on creatures you don't share a language with?

It doesn't say it does. However, it allows you to cast Suggestion on the creature, which does require the creature to understand you.

It would be kind of weird if for some targets the first part applied but the second didn't. But I could read it as the channel divinity overriding the usual requirements of the target creature for Suggestion.
>>
>>50266752
It doesn't just end at liches, it's everything Evil. Demons and devils are constantly breaking through to the Material Plane, making deals with mortals, getting cults to summon this and that, raising armies to sack these fuckers or take over this place. Ancient evil elementals constantly up to no good, Far Realm entities piercing the veil between realities, goblinoid armies on the march, necromancers and rakshasas and slaads ready to ruin everyone's day.

But that's just one side of the coin. What are all of the angels and other Good-aligned extraplanar creatures up to? APPARENTLY FUCKING NOTHING, EVER.
>>
>>50266726
>Farmhand Knowledge
I'd get rid of the double-Strength modifier and let the bonus apply to dual weapons.

>Reaped Rewards
So does this apply to just one particular weapon, or to every weapon of the same type? If you pick the greatclub, does every greatclub you pick up gain +1? Does that +1 stack with the Farmhand Knowledge +1?

Also, the 7th-level feature is typically supposed to be non-combat related.

>Useful Modifications
Not gonna mince words, this is terrible. The options are ridiculously unbalanced. Extension is incredibly powerful, Jagged Edges is garbage. Extended Handle is both needlessly complicated and not very useful. Trash this feature and start over.
>>
>>50266726
I dont think you have ever read any class or archetype in 5e

Very few abilities and features are just "you get +X to X", almost all your features in this get just straight number bonuses

Also ALL of your abilities are directly combat related

Bounded accuracy.
>>
>>50266726
why don't the baddies bleed. can we not kill them?
I'd likely never use Jagged Edges. -5 for possible +1d8 Slash, but I'm also fairly likely to bleed all over the ground?

I don't think I'd ever pick Slimmed Handles unless it changed "you add your strength modifier twice (Up to +2)" to being based around Dex. I'm not waiting until level 10 to be able to use my Dex that I must have been pumping (to the probable detriment of Str?), and even then suddenly removing my double-stacked (lightly) Strength just to use my Dex seems ill-advised.

Everything is +murder in a +++murder class. Yeah, the other archetypes are kind of like that but there's more to them.
Give me some farmhand proficiencies. Make me able to endure long days of work.
>>
>>50266726
Jagged edges is shit
Slimmed hands is shit
The concept is good

The whole thing seems to just be trying to bring simple weapons to par with martial weapons. You should do this with just one of the features, give them something unique with another and put some utility/flavor on it as well.
>>
>>50266479
>>50266670
Thanks anon. Would charger be a good feat and would it stack with savage attacker?
>>
>>50266581
Who's hammer-hands?
>>
Why is coming up with names so hard
>>
>>50266726

Why call it Hermit King?
>>
>>50266792
>But that's just one side of the coin. What are all of the angels and other Good-aligned extraplanar creatures up to? APPARENTLY FUCKING NOTHING, EVER.
The planes where they do visit are super good and peaceful planes. So, ones that don't spawn adventurers. It's the old puddle-and-hole fallacy.
>>
>>50266726
Martial Archetype: Hoplite

>Phalanx
Beginning when you choose this archetype at 3rd level, you are adept at fighting in formation. When you wield a spear in one hand, its damage die increases to 1d8.
Additionally, while you are adjacent to at least two allies who are not adjacent with each other, two of them add your shield's AC bonus to their own AC. A creature can only benefit from this feature from one hoplite at a time.

>Battlefield Awareness
Starting at 7th level, when a friendly creature that you can see or hear succeeds on a Wisdom (Perception) check, you also automatically succeed on that check if it applies to you.

>Squad Tactics
At 10th level, when you successfully shove a creature prone, you can command a creature allied with you to strike. The ally can use its reaction to make one melee weapon attack against the prone creature.
Additionally, if a creature next to you is subjected to a saving throw against an effect that would force it to move, you can use your reaction to give it advantage on the saving throw.

>Strength In Numbers
At 15th level, if at the end of your turn your allies are benefiting from your Phalanx feature, you can make one additional weapon attack.

>Regroup
At 18th level, when you use your Action Surge feature, you can choose up to six creatures within 120 feet that are allied with you. Each one can use its reaction to move up to its speed.
>>
File: marut.jpg (100KB, 612x729px) Image search: [Google]
marut.jpg
100KB, 612x729px
>>50266920
A marut. They are one type of a class of extraplanar constructs called "inevitables" that enforce universal laws. In the marut's case, they enforce DEATH, and run around murdering anything that defies the natural order by achieving immortality or cheating death through other means. They always know where you are and never stop chasing your ass down until you pay for whatever it is that attracted the inevitable's attention in the first place. They're like Terminators.

Except apparently they don't exist because nothing bad ever happens to bad people.
>>
>>50266792
>>50266581

If you go by the fluff, the Good beings ARE dealing with that shit, and the adventurers just meet the ones that aren't dealt with by other people.

The bad explanation my DM for Pathfinder (which I only play because my friends enjoys it) ends up using while trying to do the first one, it's that the PCs are the protagonists, so they have to do the important things in the world while the more powerful people are doing unimportant things like selling high-level magic items.

Though never creating a world that feels alive and where things happen when the PCs aren't looking is a problem for many DMs
>>
>>50266964
Roguish Archetype: Thug

Proper Thrashing
>Beginning when you choose this archetype at 3rd level, you gain proficiency with medium armor, flails and morningstars. Additionally, you can can use your Sneak Attack feature with any melee weapon you are wielding in one hand and are proficient with, even if it does not have the finesse property.

Dirty Fighting
>Also at 3rd level, when you successfully grapple a creature, you can use a bonus action to make one melee weapon attack against that creature.

>Look Behind You
Starting at 9th level, you can use deceit to put off your enemies in a fight. When making an attack that qualifies for the other requirements of a Sneak Attack but is not made with advantage, you can attempt to distract the target creature. Make a Charisma (Deception) check contested by the creature's Wisdom (Insight) check. If you win the contest, the attack counts as a Sneak Attack if it hits. However, if you do not win the contest, the attack automatically misses.
>A target creature with an Intelligence score of 4 or less isn’t affected by this feature.

Sand In Your Eye
>Starting at 13th level, you can use an action to throw sand or dust at a creature. Choose a creature you can see within 10 feet. It must make a Constitution saving throw against a DC of 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Dexterity modifier. On a failed save, the creature is blinded until the start of your next turn. A creature that does not rely on eyes to see, such as one with blindsight, is not affected.

Hit Them While They're Down
>When you reach 17th level, any attack you make against a prone creature within 5 feet is a critical hit.
>>
>>50266923

Need any help, anon?

I'm not bad at finding names
>>
>>50266964
I like this.
>>
>>50266923
Not that hard, really.

Need a dwarf name? Pick a single-syllable first name and a a compound of two words for the last name. Example: Sledge Foehamer

Need an elf name? Pick something flowy that's either easy to say or can be shortened to a nickname. Example: Dael Sylerfelt (goes by Dale)

Need a halfling name? Pick something a British farmer would be named, with a last name alluding to something comfy like a river, hill, hearth, etc. Example: Theo Hilltopple

Need a human name? Pick something from a real world culture and do nothing to it.
>>
>>50266983
>Except apparently they don't exist because nothing bad ever happens to bad people.

Nah, it's supposed to happen, it's just plenty of DMs are too lazy to make stuff happens outside of the PCs' direct involvement.
>>
>>50266964
>>50266993
These are cool. Brutal, efficient, simple, thematic.
>>
>>50266726
Martial Archetype:

Hermit King.

Farmhand knowledge
Your time on farms has taught you nuances of farming tools, you find these nuances are mostly applicable to simplistic weapons not designed for farming
At 3rd level when using a simple weapon you add +1 to the attack and damage rolls, you add your dexterity modifier if the weapon is strength based or add your strength modifier twice (up to a maximum +2) when using Tridents, and Sickles, these bonuses do not work for weapons in your off hand.

Reaped Rewards
At 7th level your long life of toiling in the field has paid off, after years of working you've found tricks to keep yourself going for hard labour, you gain advantage on constitution checks to do with endurance such as swimming, or working fields, you choose a weapon type, you can create a chosen weapon using a weapon of that type, whilst holding your chosen weapon you gain advantage on Wisdom (Survival) checks, your chosen weapon is considered magical and has +1 to it's damage roll.

Useful Modifications
At 10th level
You make one changes to your chosen weapon from the following options:

Extended handle: Your Weapon gains versatile, when held in two hands improve the weapons damage die using this list D4, D6, D8, D10, D12 If the weapon uses a D12 for it's damage die this Modification does nothing.

Shaved Weight: Your weapon gains the Thrown property, it deals one less damage die when thrown this way, your weapons range is 30/120.

Natural Attunement: Your weapon can deal an additional d4 of radiant or necrotic damage to Plants, in addition you can force crops to grow much faster than normal using your weapon (They finish their growth cycle in one day) Crops harvested in this manner rot after 2d4 days.

Restorative Crops: Your chosen weapon is surrounded by vines, which reap 2d8 goodberries every day, at the end of the day these goodberries rot.
You may take another Modification at level 15 and 18.

4chan word limits annoying
>>
>>50266393
>>50266412
Okay, another thing, if warlocks can only cast up to 5th level, why oes it say in the players handbook on page 210 that they have 6th, 7th, 8th, and 9th level spells?
>>
>>50267008
>>50267051
Thanks, but I bet they're imbalanced as fuck and 5e will tell us exactly how
>>
>>50267077
Sorry farmhand knowledge has a weird typo, it should read you can add ethier your strength or dex modifier to attack and damage rolls up to a maximum of +2
>>
>>50267093
Mystic Arcanum or something like that. They get those spells, but they refresh daily like everyone else.
>>
>>50267077
just add +1 damage on extended handle, which is essentially the same effect of changing the dice
>>
>>50266457
The designers are still in the old-school D&D mindset: many days of completely uneventful overland travel, then you go into a dungeon where there are 30-50 encounters with very few chances to rest or escape. They haven't noticed that most actual play groups take an approach more like you'd find in fantasy literature or movies: very seldom do heroes there get into more than one fight per day.
>>
>>50267125
What's funny is that it's not actually how they design encounters in official settings and books (thankfully). So really I wonder who they're "designing" for with this 5-6 encounters per rest.
>>
>>50267077
Your time on farms has taught you nuances of farming tools, you find these nuances are mostly applicable to simplistic weapons not designed for farming
At 3rd level when using a simple weapon you add +1 to the attack and damage rolls, you add your dexterity modifier or strength modifier twice (up to a maximum +2) when using Tridents, and Sickles, these bonuses do not work for weapons in your off hand.

At 7th level your long life of toiling in the field has paid off, after years of working you've found tricks to keep yourself going for hard labour, you gain advantage on constitution checks to do with endurance such working fields, you choose a weapon type, you can create a chosen weapon using a weapon of that type, whilst holding your chosen weapon you gain advantage on Wisdom (Survival) checks, your chosen weapon is considered magical and has +1 to it's damage roll, it takes one long rest of attunment to create another chosen weapon.

At 10th level
You make one changes to your chosen weapon from the following options:

Extended handle: Your Weapon gains +1 to it's damage rolls, this bonus becomes +2 when the weapon is held in both hands.

Natural Attunement: Your weapon can deal an additional d6 of radiant or necrotic damage to Plants, in addition you can force crops to grow much faster than normal using your weapon (They finish their growth cycle in one day) Crops harvested in this manner rot after 2d4 days.

Restorative Crops: Your chosen weapon is surrounded by vines, which reap 2d8 goodberries every day, at the end of the day these goodberries rot.

Tool of slaughter: You can choose to make a Strength (Animal Handling) check in place of a Wisdom (Animal Handling) check when holding this weapon, and deal 1d4 extra damage to beasts.
i feel like simple weps aren't buffed enough
>>
File: dasitmane.gif (858KB, 320x288px) Image search: [Google]
dasitmane.gif
858KB, 320x288px
>be wizard
>meet Zephyros
>politely ask to copy some spells as it would be of great help
>mfw he accepts
>>
>>50267216
I really like the goodberry stuff
>>
>>50267125
for me this is the greatest flaw (or maybe the correct is shortcoming?) of the system as it is.

i had to homebrew on the go rest mechanics because it makes no sense for people escape from a crumbling tomb or trying to outspeed a villain to take a 1 hour nap to heal hitpoints or just how a mildly competent or even challenging encounter either takes a million years to finish or is a swingfest that either knocks down half the party in one round or half the enemies get CC'd to death in three rounds of gangbang smacking.

>>50267194
this too, even in the published works i've played, there's at most 2~3 encounters per day and at most of those, there's not time or logical reason to take a rest in between.
>>
>>50266904
>would it stack with savage attacker?
What do you mean by that, exactly?

Charger gives you a +5 bonus to damage under certain circumstances. Savage Attacker increases the damage you deal when you score a critical hit. They could both apply to the same attack, hypothetically, if that's what you mean.

>>50266964
Now this I like.

>Phalanx
Maybe change the second part a bit.
>While you are carrying a shield, you can grant your shield's AC bonus to up to two friendly creatures within 5 feet of you and you who are not carrying shields. A creature can only gain this benefit from one hoplite at a time.

>Battlefield Awareness
I can imagine situations where this could be useful, but for the most part, any time a party member succeeds on a Wisdom (Perception) check, wouldn't their immediate response be to say "hey, guys, check it out!"

At the risk of it seeming like I'm trying to make your thing my thing: maybe something like "you also have advantage on Dexterity saving throws to avoid traps"?

>Strength in Numbers
The extra attack should probably be "as a bonus action" or something, or at least something like "when you take the Attack action on your turn, you can make one additional weapon attack if at least one creature has the benefit of your Phalanx feature".

>Regroup
Giving your allies some extra movement could be pretty useful at an earlier level, but at 18th level they've got pretty easy access to magical items, spells like Fly, what have you, so mobility isn't as big of a deal.

Maybe "move up to its speed or make a single weapon attack"? That might be too powerful, I dunno.

I don't love Regroup, but I also don't hate it. It might be fine as-is.

Other than that, it's mostly just wording stuff. "Within 5 feet" instead of "adjacent", "creature friendly to you" instead of "ally".
>>
File: JakeThumbsUp.png (63KB, 365x328px) Image search: [Google]
JakeThumbsUp.png
63KB, 365x328px
>>50267077
>>50267216

I think this is getting to be much better. It needs a rewrite to be less...bad of english, but now we have a variety of non-combat things being added, some fun/amusing stuff like restorative crops and natural attunement, and you're still more murderous with some weapons.

Also, tridents aren't classified as Simple Weapons, but sickles are. Are you aware of this?
>>
>>50266993
>Proper Thrashing
Don't forget to mention "you must abide by the other restrictions". And typically medium armor proficiency comes with shield proficiency, but that's your call. I can see how that might not necessarily fit the flavor you want to achieve.

>Dirty Fighting
What about "shove or grapple" instead of just Grapple?

On a positive note, I like these features. I'm guessing you were looking for a way to encourage a Rogue who uses Strength, and these seem like a good way to do that.

>Look Behind You
I'm not crazy about this one. It sorta clashes with the previous two; if you're going for Strength as the secondary ability, it seems off to throw in an ability based on Charisma. It's also potentially adding lots of extra rolls to combat. Every turn, instead of one attack roll and one damage roll, it could potentially be an ability check from you contested with an ability check from the target, then the attack roll and the damage roll. That stuff adds up.

>Sand in Your Eye
This is another one I don't like. Throwing dirt in someone's eyes shouldn't require a class feature or special training, that's just something anyone can do at any time.

Plus, blinding a creature until the start of your next turn as an action is... bad. You can't make an attack against them, because your action is gone. They aren't inconvenienced the next time they try to attack you, because it's worn off by then. The only potential advantage is that they're less likely to hit you with an opportunity attack or something, but you can already Disengage as a bonus action.

>Hit Them While They're Down
If you just changed that to "any time you hit a prone creature within 5 feet of you with an attack, the attack is a critical hit", it'd be much better. Otherwise not only are you giving out unlimited critical hits, but you're giving out unlimited automatic hits too. Though it still might be too powerful when combined with Sneak Attack.
>>
>>50267349

Tridents aren't simple, they're more impractical spears (in this game)

>>50267077

Still don't get the name.

Something like Master of the Countryside or Green Thumb would fit better, no?
>>
>>50267417
Green thumb would be better, cheers.
>>50267349
I changed FHK to work with all simple weapons, war picks and tridents to get the peasants tool kit down
>>50267120
I've changed Extended handle to give a flat +1 to damage rolls and +2 when two handed.

Thanks for the feedback guys
>>
>>50267216
why is the 7th level feature still giving +1 to damage?
i don't think monk's magical fist increase in damage just from becoming magical.

+1 to attack and damage plus expertise is already a huge bonus. take a trident, it's a 1d6 versatile (1d8), +1 to damage is the actually better than a 1d8 because higher minimum and same average, so you are getting a 1d8 versatile (1d10) weapon with increased accuracy which can even benefit from dueling fighting style, and on top of that you are giving it a free +2. that's 1d6+6 which is the same average as 1d12+3, the strongest martial weapon option available for a martial class.

i assume this thing doesn't get extra attack at level 5, so i understand your want for another damage improvement so let's look at the rogue, at 5th level sneak attack deals 3d6 which is avg. 10.5 or about 1d12+4, as extra damage given the conditions are met and only if the conditions for it are met. on the other hand, every martial class' 7th level feature is defensive or utility and every additional martial damage improvement comes at 11th level, while 10th level is an improvement for an earlier feature plus utility.

so give it a 5th level situational damage improvement and a 7th level fluff/exploration feature, while making the 10th level a feature improvement (that can be for combat) that isn't a flat damage increase while leaving the flat damage increase for 11th level.
>>
>>50267457
>Green thumb would be better, cheers.

You're welcome!

It's just hermits aren't really known for agriculture and the like
>>
>>50266581
Ok, but who would want to become a lich if the only rumors you heard about them were how the forces of good blew them the fuck up?
>>
>>50267593
>Yeah, yeah, but I won't make the same stupid mistakes THEY did.
>>
>>50267224
>meet Zephyros
>our ranger tries to shoot him
>Zephyros is like WTF don't do that I'm a friend have some magic arrows I'm serious about this friend stuff
>our ranger tries to shoot him
>dwarves show up and try to kill him
>we argue them down
>our ranger argues them up
>Zephyros flies us to Waterdeep
>ranger disappears mysteriously forever in the back room of an inn
>>
>>50265215
>>50264441
>guidelines groups don't follow
People don't use monsters with stats like the existing published monsters?
I could eye the value of separating things out in such a way that you could see your DPR against various CRs. Could be rather cumbersome to implement though.
>chart is flawed in other ways as well
What are they?
>use average ac of all monsters across all levels
What? That makes very little sense. How often is your level 20 party figuring a cr1? I mean really, that seems ridiculous.

>>50264512
What other issues does it have?

I've made a fork of it for my own purposes, and used it to calculate some things it didn't bother with before; and other changes are certainly possible. What other problems does it have in its assumptions, aside from only covering the CR=Lv use case?
>>
>>50267593
This desu >>50267625
>>
>>50267593

Same reason why D&D people still do evil despite knowing they'll go to Hell or another plane where torturing damned souls is a passion, job, and artform
>>
>>50267625
>>50267658
>Evil Overlich List.lnk
>>
>>50267480
I've restricted chose weapon type to simple only to prevent the versatile problem, i'm failry certain that extra attack's an inherant part of all fighters though
>>
>>50265330
>>50265269
I really don't like this being baked in. I prefer my baelnorns to be more mechanically similar to liches, and they definitely do not do that.
>>
>>50267670
It's like I'm really back in 1998
>>
File: archmage.png (69KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
archmage.png
69KB, 200x200px
Are there any packs of tokens like this floating around, or at least a template or something?
>>
>>50267699
You ever wonder what's going through the heads of prominent FR NPCs when they put their absolutely fucking ridiculous makeup on in the morning and remember that Ma and Pa named them FZOUL or OMSKILAR?
>>
Invited 4 people to a game. They had to do most of the work at home, and show up with prepared characters.

None of these people know each other.

They showed up with:
Halfling Wizard
Halfling Warlock
Halfling Sorcerer
Halfling Bard

I feel like my original plan went a bit out of the window here. Any good suggestions for a party like this?
>>
>>50267699
Check the mega trove, the Storm King's Thunder tokens are in there
>>
File: token_preset.png (273KB, 1197x705px) Image search: [Google]
token_preset.png
273KB, 1197x705px
>>50267699
Do you want a .psd? If you can wait for a few hours I'll get the thicker frame version in there as well (in a game atm).
>>
>>50267699
On packs, I dunno
On a "template":
http://www.rptools.net/toolbox/token-tool/ is probably what made that. Or if it didn't, it can easily make more.
>>
File: hobbits.jpg (255KB, 1500x1204px) Image search: [Google]
hobbits.jpg
255KB, 1500x1204px
If I was a Firbolg, and had enemies in my face that I wanted to get away from, would your bonus action turn invisible thing prevent them from taking AoOs on you?

I mean they can't see me, I'm totally invisible

>>50267699
Token tool allows you to make tokens like that in five seconds with any image you want

>>50267748
That's awesome.
>>
>>50267699
Used to have a template like that for photoshop.

It would not be a difficult thing to make.

Vector circle 600 dpi wide (600 for Med, 1200 for LRG, etc)
Picture as clipping mask
Duplicate vector circle without the portrait, make it transparent, and apply layer effects to it to make the border and inner glow
Shadow overlay

If you've got photoshop you should be able to bang one out in like 20 minutes

Did this a few years back with all the portraits from NWN1 and a bunch of 3e MM art. Still have some of the tokens I printed, but no longer have the digital files.
>>
>>50267748
Halfling expedition for ancient knowledge
>>
>>50267748
I started a game last sunday, and all four of the players decided that they would be halfling wizards.

desu it's the most fun I've had running a game, just run it like you would any other campaign.
>>
>>50267748
Magical dick-weaving contest
Searching the land for the lore of the universe
>>
>>50267748
>We need to get through this door. The key is on a high shelf.
>We can slay the lich, but his phylactery is on a high shelf!
>Brave adventurers, take pity on me. My daughter has been kidnapped by the Dragon of the High Shelf.
>>
>>50267748
Do a Tucker's Kobolds-type setup, but instead of kobolds, it's the kids that are after their Lucky Charms.
>>
>>50267773
>If I was a Firbolg, and had enemies in my face that I wanted to get away from, would your bonus action turn invisible thing prevent them from taking AoOs on you?
You have to be able to see the enemy make an OA. So if you're invisible, and they can't see invisible things, you're safe to retreat without disengaging.
>>
>>50267748
Some asshole is poisoning all the halfling well-water and halfling grain and halfling lviestock with evil bullshit that's killing all the poor hin and raising them up as zombies for his undead army.

Urogalan is pissed and has assembled a team of shortstacks with attitude to rectify the situation.
>>
>>50267741

They're all dressing like emo kids BECAUSE Ma and Pa called them like that.
>>
>>50267838
Dope. Nice little thing for my firbolg fighter to do.

I would get advantage on an attack whilst invisible no? firbolg invisibility ends when you make an attack but when you're making an attack you're still invisible?

Imagine a 8ft 300lb bear man appearing out of thin air to smash your face in with a giant tree trunk
>>
>>50267741
>>50267861
https://youtu.be/WOHPuY88Ry4
>>
Did some calculating on Hermit king archetype, at level 18 we have a fighter with +5 strength and +5 dex, assuming that the Hermit king is using all his abilities with the most damaging simple weapon

Hermit King:
3x(1d8+8) +14 to hit whenever using the attack action, average damage is 36 per turn
Champion:
3x(2d6+5) +11 to hit whenever using the attack action, average damage is 33 damage per round

Conclusion:
Hermit King will fall more into line if the +1/+1 effect to simple weapons in farm hand knowledge is removed, the down sides to this is that Hermit Kings won't have much of a reason to use Simple weapons in the ealy game, possible comprimise is only allowing the +1/+1 effect to only work on simple weapons with a damage die below d8.
>>
>>50267861
What's up with the parents that give their children names that clearly relate to some magical or physical element, like Glacia Icechill or Slashor Bladebiter? Why do these kids always grow up into an ice mage and swordsman, respectively?

We never run into a peasant farmer with the kind of name you expect on a fire genasi pyromancer or a righteous paladin called Sizilar Dhuumgrayve.
>>
>>50267898
The champion also crits much more often than the Hermit King.
>>
>>50267898
But Champion is shit. They should be balanced around Battlemasters.
+14 to hit is too much tho
>>
Has anyone ever done anything with this: https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Setting:Hail_and_Kill

I'm looking to go for a more pulpy, science fiction-ey version of this with my players (basically more Princess of Mars / Heavy Metal 2000 / Masters of the Universe).
>>
>>50267914
Cultural expectations, I guess. Like how people with more "black-sounding" names are less likely to get a job with the same qualifications.
>>
>>50267914
> what are nicknames
>>
>>50267914
destiny
>>
>>50267914
They dont though. Most of them have regular names Its just that when they get lityle bit of power they decide to change their name. Again most of them cringe at it when they get old.
>>
>>50267939
>>50267926
Using the changes to the calculation a Green thumb/Hermit King using a great club will get
3x (1d8+7) +13 to hit for an average of 33, bringing it into line with the champion, balancing it with the Battle master would prve much more tricky because as far as i can see the manouvers would add a max of 3x(d12) to any attack made so where the champion gets
3x(2d6+5)
Battle master would get
3x((2d6+5)+1d12) for an average of 33+18/ 51 per round
>>
>>50267977
Those are just names, not nicknames. A nickname would be the cryomancer saying, "But my friends call me ICEMAN," not, "My birth certificate literally says 'Gelidar Rimehand'. I come from a long line of Rimehands, but no one has ever met any of the others and I'm the only ice mage among them. It's weird, don't think too much about it."
>>
>>50267939
Battlemasters are also much harder to do the maths he's doing around because their strength (the maneuvre dice) aren't in play on every attack. Does this attack do 2d6+5 damage or 2d6+5+1d10 damage? You can't even average it because there's no guarantee what proportion of attacks will have the maneuvre dice bonus damage on it.
>>
File: 20e.png (432KB, 680x391px) Image search: [Google]
20e.png
432KB, 680x391px
>play 3.5
>hate the combat being bogged down and clunky af with sorcerers killing everything
>switch to 5e
>combat is better but now everything else is babby mode and have to homebrew most complexity

damn it, now i just want to give everyone spring attack in 3.5 and go back
>>
>>50268039
Beyond that the Green Thumb brings more rp stuff and less direct combat effects than the champion, to i think Green Thumb is fine.
>>
>>50268080
What complexity are you missing, exactly?
>>
>>50268080
Try burning wheel!
>>
>>50268080
>he's not converting 4E powers to 5E and giving them to everyone
>>
>>50268039
goodberry is simple but nice utility.
Also, there's the 3d6 to plants and 3d4 to beasts, so it may be nice but good enough
>>
What are some good movies for classic D&D inspiration? Specifically, for a Rogue?
>>
>>50268132
Do share.
>>
>>50268159
Big Trouble in Little China
>>
File: redsteel.jpg (68KB, 472x613px) Image search: [Google]
redsteel.jpg
68KB, 472x613px
Would you play with Savage Coast's Red Curse / Legacy system in 5E?
>>
>>50268039
Like I said, I disagree that it "brings it in line" with the Champion, considering that a champion will be critting 15% of the time compared to a Green Thumb's 5%. You're incorporating the GT's benefits for damage output, but not the Champion's. Surely the champions always-on improved crit rate improves the damage a fair amount. At the very least, it should improve it by three points?

The non-combat/"utility"/situational benefits on Green Thumb are also a point, but it's really personal preference if you want +Physical Checks, +Jumps, rapid HP regen or the ability to grow crops really fast and get 2d8 goodberries/day.

Removing the incentive to use simple weapons at low levels is also, IMO, exceedingly lame and anti-thematic. You should want the guy based around Simple Weapons to be incentivized to use them at all points.
>>
>>50267648
Bump?
>>
>>50268092

>PCs are sent to give an urgent message to the greatest Fighter of the land

>Travel through a beautiful countryside, with plenty of crops and fruits, with calm animals and pleased famers

>Arrive to a humble, comfy house, where the plants are the most bountiful and gorgeous

>See a middle-aged man plowing his field with his ox, without a care in the work except the one of doing his work well.
>>
In the spirit of a gestalt campaign, instead of combining two or more classes, what kind of fuckery could I expect by allowing a player to take two or three archetypes within a single class (no multi-classing as a caveat)?
>>
>>50268231
I've tweaked the buffs to simple weapons to be more effective for d4 weps and less effective for the single d8 simple weps to prevent one weapon from defining the class.
>>
>>50266904
>>50267253
Yes thats what I meant, thanks again anon!
>>
>>50268262
Useful Fighters and Monks.
>>
File: image.gif (23KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
23KB, 400x300px
Are animate dead zombies static? Do they scale? Do they all have 22 hp and hit for 4?

That's.... Crazy weak
>>
>True polymorph animal or object int oa human
>Imprison said human in a soul gem
>Feed to lich
Is the lich fulfilled?
>>
>>50268290
My first thought actually went to useful Rangers.

Monks I feel like wouldn't really benefit ALL that much, because that just means an increase in more stuff to sink Ki points into.
>>
>>50268262
It'd benefit certain classes much more than others. I.e. the main appeal to being a sorcerer as compared to a wizard is that the archetype features tend to be better. See also: paladins.

>>50268290
>I have no experience with 5e, but I can weigh in on it anyway, because I'm just that special.
>>
>>50268352
Add their ki again for every archetype they have, and implement the Wo4E fixes that make them not suck ass.
i mean, then you'd have monks with 18 ki who make every attack in a flurry a stunning blow but whatever
>>
>>50268262
wtf I love sorcerers now
>>
>>50268272
Final Calculation:
Fighter, level 18, +5 dex +5 str, everything is assumed to be consistent.

Green Thumb:
d8 weapons: 3x(1d8 + 7) +7 average dpr: 33
E.A,Wep, FHK
d6 weapons 3x(1d6 + 10*) +8 average dpr: 39

d4 weapons 3x(1d4+12) +10 average dpr: 42

conclusion, d4's have been over buffed, removing +/1+/1 from 7th level feature fixes this, d8's have been over nerfed, removing extended handle nerf would increase damage whilst still being less accurate, d4 can be fixed by removing one +1/1 effect.
>>
>>50268345

A lich must sacrifice souls, it was never said it'd need to be human souls
>>
>>50268443
Oh, so you could literally just have a roach farm or something?
>>
>>50268443
>lich druid
>zombie squirrel swarm.
>>
>>50268487
>Lich with a bunch of Ant Hills for food.
>>
>>50262882
>chaotic good
FUCK
>probably rolled for stats
FUCK
>all but one (the biggest dump stat is literally 18+ except for one that's 17
FUCK
>greatsword that does 0.5 less damage than a greatsword but inflicts weird effects on a crit
FUCK
>over 20 in a stat
FUCK
>masterwork
FUCK
>champion
FUCK
>>
>>50268421
Is Draconic + Wild Magic that good, or is there a different archetype you're thinking about?
>>
>>50268487

>>50268487
>>50268495
>>50268517

Maybe you CAN do it, but you don't become a Lich without having an ego the size of a planet.

Do you think they'd settle for eating vermins?
>>
>>50268565
You're not eating vermin, you're eating souls while killing vermin, it's a win win.
And why do liches need an ego? Last I checked liches only need a desperate will to be immortal.
Maybe there's a lich out there disguised as an adventurer, who goes around slaying giant rats for people to get a big heap of souls.
>>
File: BloodMage.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
BloodMage.pdf
1B, 486x500px
Hey everyone, I've been working on this homebrew class for a while, would love comments and opinions!
>>
>>50268565
Don't see why not. Hunting down people to eat draws unwanted attention, and takes time away from your far more important magical research.
>>
>>50268837
>level 20 feature
Absolutely redundant.

>spell progression
I'm really disappointed you didn't call it 'spellcasting', so I could yell at you for how that is in no way the spellcasting feature. I suppose you did it right though, even if making a spellcaster with more than the usual spellslots is weird.

I see an odd synergy with, say, warlock's at-will false life to resist any self-harm you do out of combat. Then again, perhaps the wizard's ward + warlock's false life + warlock's mage armour, but that's probably overdoing it.

There is no specified damage type when inflicting the 1 damage for an imbrued die on yourself. I'm not sure there are any 'untyped' damages existant, but for sure it would be possible to resist it.

NAaturally, spell list is lacking, but I guess it's being worked on.

Well, mainly:
1. It feels like it's too awkward to cast high level spells. Maybe I need to read more thoroughly, but you can only gain two or so imbrued dice a turn, right? Only to start hurting yourself, which would suck if any effect prevented you from doing things, leaving you only dying furthermore. Perhaps that's fine, though. Always starting combat with your highest level spells sounds kind of lame, anyway.
2. Sounds like there may be ways to abuse it, given the way damage works in 5e.

It seems excessively awkward
>>
>>50268837
They have 12 start HP but d10 hit dice afterwards, which is odd. Why is it not 10 start HP and d10 hit dice, or 12 start HP and d12 hit dice?

No armor proficiency hurt but it's a caster, so not a surprise.
Proficiency with basic bladed melee weapons, alright. Superior options than other casters, even if it's limited and no-range ones.

You don't get your subtype until 5th level, basically?
You have to hurt yourself to cast magic, and you're still limited at normal amounts of spell slots - without any cantrips or ability to do literally anything else? And even if you MC, you can't use the gained cantrips? Am I supposed to hit people with a sword, while wearing no armor or shield?

Seems like it'd be easier to just say they have very few spell slots until they start taking damage, where they convert damage to spell slots. Makes multiclassing weird though, I suppose. Although your slots are already very weird..

The spells they have access to (only very lightly skimming) don't even appear particularly amazing. Blood Spike is a 2nd level spell that deals 1d8 damage at 40feet. Yeah you can boost it a bit via your (Im)Embrued Casting, but it costs d4s of HP, and you still lose the slot. Hemomance Weapon is a bladelock weapon, but a 2nd level spell with concentration and "can't block".

What am I missing? It seems like it will be unable to do a huge amount and won't want to do anything because it'll just die, even with all the HP and Con Spellcasting Ability.
>>
My party will be wrapping up HotDQ soon and I want to give them a big upgrade as they reach level 8. Essentially they'll get some time to train with specialists from the FR factions and gain the following:
>For the level 8 ASI, they get both +2 to stats and a feat
>1 skill proficiency
>1 extra language or 1 tool proficiency
Is this too much? And how much time would be needed for the training, considering there is a pending threat and they'll learn from the best?
>>
>>50268541
wild + shadow seems good but idk
>>
>>50268262
Clerics could double/triple up on Divine Strike or potent cantrip and have a sizeable amount of always prepared spells.
If potent cantrip did stack then Greenflame Blade with Shillelagh could do 4d8+15 to one enemy plus 3d8+20 to the one next to it consistently.
Or they could do similar amounts of damage focused on one enemy with Booming Blade.
>>
>>50269145
Too much? Eh, I dunno. Probably not going to break anything
Time? ..uhh...2 months? That's a lot to learn, but who knows how fast DnD people learn things, given that the mechanics of the world have "Ding!" level ups with no downtime.
>>
>>50268345
>True polymorph object into a human
Where does the soul come from? Or do they become like most of the people in Barovia, soulless?
>>
I want to play a firbolg, but is there anywhere I can get firbolg character art?

Firbolgs were giant nords in past editions, so that doesn't work
>>
>>50269145
Check out DMG pg 180 and 208, there's items called "manual of x", "tome of y" which grant +2 to a stat within a week of study, and doesn't work again until a 100 years have passed. You could say the factions have some copies of those and they use it only in the face of great danger.

They can also direct you to a wizard who owns a secluded demiplane in which time slows down ala Hyperbolic Time Chamber and he has to be convinced to let the players use it for a few days to train for the impending world-destroying threat. If I were to use this, I would leave it to Rise of Tiamat tho'.
>>
>>50266581
Evil triumphs because Good is dumb.
>>
File: Clay.jpg (110KB, 648x745px) Image search: [Google]
Clay.jpg
110KB, 648x745px
I'm thinking going Arcane Trickster for my next character (we starting @3).

I don't really know what to do for its race, so I figured Variant Human would be nice (+1 DEX, +1 INT).

What are good feats to go with it ? Mobile, Healer and Lucky are the usual suspects but what else would be nice and have a good synergy with Arcane Trickster ?

Pic related, I'd go Dwarf if I could.
>>
Do any 5e classes have dead levels?
PF kinda spoiled me in that regard.
>>
>>50266983
Maruts and other inevitables have shit everything. They can't do shit against liches or any of the Multiversal Laws they're meant to enforce.
>>
Can you multiclass into the same class again in order to gain upgrades from two archetypes?
>>
>>50269408
not according to sage advice

talk with your DM
>>
>>50269384
>PF kinda spoiled me in that regard.
what the he-nevermind

No. They don't. Unless you consider getting access to a new spell level (and spells) a dead level, in which case, yes. Although some levels are only an ability score improvement (+2 to a single attribute, or +1 to two different ones)/feat.

>>50269408
No; the rules say "in a new class" and the same class isn't a new class.
>>
>>50269428
>>50269442
Alright, thanks. It was more of a curious request than anything.
>>
>>50269442
There are no dead levels in PF, at every level every class gets a feature, imbalances aside.

Thanks though.
>>
>>50269384
If a feat slot/stat/new spell level increase isn't enough to fill a dead level, yes.

Otherwise no.
>>
Do Warlocks need to dedicate anymore to combat than Agonizing Blast/Eldritch Blast? All my other choices (except maybe Repelling Blast) would be geared towards stealth and social interactions.
>>
>>50269364
What's stopping you from going dorf?

No relevant ability score racials? ask your GM if you can swap the +2 str +2 con for +1 dex +1 int, I'd definitely let you do that.

anyway for feats mobile is def good, magic initiate would get you another spell slot plus two cantrips, lucky is just really fucking good, Dual Wielder is great, Rogue is one of the few classes that dual wielding is actually good for, and gives +1 ac, moderately armored would greatly increase your AC though alot of medium armor gives disadvantage on stealth, ritual casting for more utility, war caster for BOOMING BLADE on your opportunity attacks/maintaining your buffs/ dual wielding and casting at the same time

Personally I'd vote Dual Wielder, Moderately armored, or Mobile. With Mobile you could booming blade some asshat then run the fuck away

consider high elf or eladrin, both are probably the best for ATs.

>>50269408
No, that would be absurd and also would be a waste

>battlemaster Champions

good lord
>>
>>50269473
Thanks also, dude.
>>
>>50269476
the warlock's only saving grace is that they can always just eblast for 1d10+CHA

I would personally focus everything else on utility and such
>>
>>50269476
I'd take the knock back EB.

EB damage is okay, but not great, even after adding in your cha, so having the opportunity to push people off cliffs and such (or keep your target away from yourself and the party) would help.
>>
>>50269476
If you just do Eldritch Blast with Agonizing Blast you'll be quite fine for combat. That combo carries most of the class, really.
>>
>>50269487
Np. I'm also new to 5e, coming from PF. Many of the changes I like, some not so much.
>>
>>50268159
How about the actual Dungeons and Dragons movie? Main character was a rogue.
>>
>>50267244
>>50267125
I think short rests are an attempt to use powers that work on a "per encounter" basis without explicitly using the mechanic. My experience has been the same: you either have time for a long rest, or the situation is too tense to allow any sort of rest at all (at least not without Rope Trick shenanigans, and even that stands a good chance of biting you in the ass). I haven't felt out of sorts playing short rest classes when it's just 1 encounter per day, but it really hurts if we're forced to have two or more encounters back to back.

>>50269384
No, but that doesn't stop some classes from having levels with unremarkable granted powers. Rangers and monks stand out poorly in this regard.
>>
>>50269502
Do you mean Repelling over Agonizing?
>>
>>50269571
I mean take both, but maybe not take agonizing first, depending on the campaign.
>>
>>50269203
>"Ding!" level ups with no downtime.
You have a point there.

>>50269305
I think those manuals would be far too much to give even to potential heroes, that would be putting a trust in them that they haven't yet earned. I love your other idea though, and I'm sure one of my players who's a fan of DBZ would love it as well. It would be on the very beginning of Rise of Tiamat, basically the heroes training prior to the First Council of Waterdeep, when all the leaders assemble to discuss how to deal with the cult. But if I do use your idea, there has to be some downside or restriction so that the party can't go there whenever they please.
>>
>>50269604
Take care, I've heard and read terrible things on Rise of Tiamat.
>>
>>50269584
I see. Will probably have an opportunity to take this character into an almost 8th level party, so both are very possible.

The concept is the best arcane/magicky infiltrator/spy that I can possibly make. Awakened Mind and Thought Shield from GOO fits perfectly, along with Mask of Many Faces and the Actor feat (17 CHA starting, 18 with Actor at 4th). Book of Shadows can be scribbled in as a secret notebook; toss it in a fire when your cover is blown and summon it when you're safe.
Making the character a Warlock also ties in nicely with their origins.
>>
I've been reading into spells and attacks, and I'm wondering: are you supposed to add your spellcasting ability modifier to your damage on spells like Eldritch Blast?

The description of the spell says you make a ranged spell attack: on a hit the target takes 1d10 damage. I note that nowhere does it imply that you add anything to the 1d10, and the rules for damage rolls state that unlike weapons, a spell will specifically state what modifiers to add.

Since in the case of EB and it's like there is no mention of modifiers, it should just be the flat d10, correct?
>>
>tfw you climb and swim faster than creatures with climb and swim speed
Being monk is awesome
>>
>>50269651
>tfw you went 270 ft. /round to save a party member today
Being a Grassland Druid is awesome.
>>
>>50269648
You don't add spellcasting ability mod to a spells damage roll unless something specifically says so.
EB is special in that it has Agonizing Blast which add that, and then various class subtypes have that ability (eg Life Cleric, Evocation Wizard).

So by default at level 1, EB is a flat 1d10 damage.
>>
>>50269640
Repelling is the utility, agonizing is the damage. If the party is already good for damage, or you expect to have a lot of fights where you could push creatures off the edges of stuff, I'd start with repelling.
>>
>>50269518
Nice. Yeah, 5e has good changes but it didn't reach the extent of the potential it could've have reached, which is disappointing.
I don't think I'll ever go back to PF though, well maybe only as one-shots. How about you?

>>50269560
Thanks, dude. Was this fixed for the ranger in the UA fix?
>>
>>50269741
>Was this fixed for the ranger in the UA fix?
The UA Revised Ranger is goddamned awesome.
So, yes.
>>
>>50269604
"You can only stay in the Room of Spirit and Time for 48 hours total, or the doorway leading between dimensions vanishes." That's canon lol. You could use that or give them magical cancer or something. Maybe after extended time they run the risk of planeshifting randomly.

>>50269629
This also. There's some sites with resources and advice for running RoT, worth giving a look
>>
>>50269651
>>50269664
>tfw 900km/h tabaxi
>>
>>50269629
I only heard and read bad things about Hoard of the Dragon Queen, which has played mostly fine (admittedly with a lot of prep time on my side and the road trip being taking way too fucking long). What is terrible about Rise?
>>
>>50269640
Remember that you can swap an invocation at every level up, so being on the verge of level 8 gives you some leeway to experiment.

>>50269735
In my experience it's pretty rare to get to do something as dramatic as push people off cliffs. But if you have party members who favor area of control effects like Web and Plant Growth, it's pretty useful for screwing over monsters who thought they escaped.
>>
>>50268042
There's no reason why your name should be passed down a family line.

Your name could something you earn or give yourself as a means of having other people have a vague knowledge of who you are and what you're about upon greeting you.

A politeness in this world where people can shoot magic lasers out their arseholes.

Or at least that's how I always headcannon that stuff
>>
>>50269770
I was considering like 5 levels of exhaustion upon leaving the demiplane, so they basically drop, barely conscious, as they leave. Of course I'd still give them enough time to recover before the Council. But the threat of ramdom planeshifting is a good downside, too, even more coupled with exhaustion.
>>
Anyone know of any decent online campaigns going on that are looking for players? Normally I spend my Wednesdays DMing Adventurers League at my FLGS. However, for the last three weeks only one person has been showing up. This means no D&D is being played. So I'm seeing if I can find an online group the player and I can do. Preferably running AL adventures.
>>
>>50269756
Fucking sweet.
>>
>>50266733
Yeah, got posted like a week ago I think. He's posted stuff before and I'm sure somebody saved it.
>>
I want to play a full kobold party so bad.
So many sneaky adventures to be had at night.
A Kobold Dragonshield, a Kobold Inventor and a Kobold Scale Sorcerer walk into a bar. Much fun was had.
Also, why the fuck Kobolds don't get Superior Darkvision?
>>
Am I a fucking monster if I want a monster manual/lorebook stating how edible a monster is, what dishes can be made from their bodies and what can be used from their bodies to craft things?
>>
>>50270021
Volo's Guide to Cooking.
>>
>>50270021
You'd be a cooking monster.
Please deliver

>>50269951
This seems pretty good. Don't forget to tell us how it goes
>>
>>50270056
>>50270021
Volo's Guide to Gluttony.
>>
>>50270085
The best kind of monster. Excellent, I might try my hand at some writing something then.
>>
>>50268837
did you ded
Our comments (mine at least) were not intended to be discouraging, even if they were basically just negative. It's just easier to post problems/oddities than the things that were good.

Tell us more about the class and why things are the they are
>>
>>50269741
I still play both. Expect I will continue to do so for the foreseeable future.

All my 5e criticisms incoming: some of these my opinion may change on after I get more used to 5e.

Im a little dissatisfied with the 5e monster math design and the implications it has, because it makes 5e less good for PvP (it's very rocket tag), and I like to keep potential PvP as an option. (I know, for many people this is a no Nissan because their social contact doesn't include PvP anyways).

I think the multiclassing rules are crap, particularly where things like extra attack are concerned, but also ASIs and feats and I'm also iffy on them for spells. I disagree with them being built into the class tables, again, because I want better multiclass in rules and this gets in the way.

I like having less fiddly tracking than in Pathfinder. However, I am Not sure i like how many things boil down to unstuck ingredients yes/no advantage.

Damage growth seems somewhat inconsistent and sudden on the pc side, but fairly steady for monsters.

I like the "you don't need to collect all the magic +numbers items to keep up" but don't like the "magic items are super rare, here are some rather wishy washy rules and prices for them". I like magic items, and want lots of them, I just want them to be interesting.

>[CONT'D... ]
>>
>>50270152
Undecided on skill DC's and skill bonuses. It looks like you're more limited to mundane stuff and don't get the ability to autosucceed at as many tasks, but I'll continue to try it out and see if it grows on me.

It could use more monster manuals, and I'd appreciate some proper 5e campaign settings, but I can convert from 2/3 in the meantime.

I wish there were more character options (AC's Archetypes, and Class Templates would be nice), and that it better supported concepts and playstyles that I enjoy which are doable in PFRPG, like Summoner, Synthesist, various hybrid classes, and the DSP/3e style point-pool psionics classes.

I expect the longer I GM, the more custom homebrew and thoroughly inspected dms guild materials I will include in my games but default.

I don't much care for having to give up ASIs rather than having separate feat slots. I expect it a gm said no feats, I'd nope right the fuck out of there, and I know I will not fun a game without them.

Finally , I think the rules for starting at levels above 1 are lacking (particularly when it comes to decent equipment guidelines, though I get that is less important now, it's just going to be more work on my end because I'm going to want to keep good talk of the party loot now so I can make sure newbie mclevel11 has gear on the same level as the rest of the group. Especially where we typically start at level 6-9 if we're not running from a book.
>>
>>50270150
I did not, I am ob my way home from work I will be able to construct real reply then. Sorry for going dark
>>
>>50270152
>>50270179
Ugh. Fucking autocorrect.
>>
File: chaotic good.jpg (59KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
chaotic good.jpg
59KB, 640x640px
in every campaign i run, my players get into trouble with the law. not for little shit either, for murder or arson. even the paladin. especially the paladin.

I've never known how to handle this properly without it getting super fucking boring, especially since they always resist arrest by fighting the guards instead of running or submitting. how do i turn this around without TPK?
>>
So I want to play a necromancer, but the skeletons and zombies look like shit, I don't want an endless horde, just a couple of decent ones.
>>
>>50270269
Have them executed in the grand square. Put on a big show and lop their heads off.
Keep doing it until they get the hint.
>>
best ritual caster and overall rating of ritual casting in general?
i'm trying to mix rituals into my bard but it doesn't seem to be useful at all, i assume it's better for a prepared caster but gee.
>>
>>50270152
>>50270179

I agree with the MCing rules being pretty meh especially with ABSIs and whatnot.
I too dislike how ABSIs/Feats are part of class progression and not overall character progression. Having to choose one or the other is also extremely meh.

>unstuck ingredients
wat

>simplistic yes/no advantage/disad
Yeah, it really is lame. They really shouldn't all negate each other. We're not fucking idiots, we can do "3 adv, 2 disad? that's 1 remaining Adv, so it's with advantage", and then it makes adv/disad less HUGE of a thing when it's added. Boons/Banes in Shadow of the Demon Lord are a cool and IMO superior "variant" of this - you add up boons (positive) and banes (negative), they negate each other 1:1, then you just roll d6s equal to the amount that are left, and add the highest rolling one (in whichever direction) to your roll.

Damage growth does jump up on the extra attack levels and the cantrip-improvement levels, but there's still some slow improvement through the ABSIs and non-extra-attack-benefits (eg paladins level 10 smite) but ehh I haven't investigated monster math to compare.
>>
>>50265215
I have no idea how to play lawful evil correctly. I understand what it is, but it just seems like in anything but a political intrigue campaign it doesn't work.

I'm sure that I'm just not imaginative enough
>>
>>50270312
Should have said unstacking but my phone hates me.
>>
Is the Yuanti Pureblood overpowered?
>>
File: 1479330198393.jpg (46KB, 898x960px) Image search: [Google]
1479330198393.jpg
46KB, 898x960px
I got a player who put forth a challenge/request. He wants to play as a duelist from yugioh. I'm guessing some kinday of magician who casts spells and summons monsters using a deck of cards.

I've thought of using the Sorcerer as a base class and adding it as a subclass. Aside from deck level being equal to their sorcery points, having to use their sorcery points to prep the deck, finding rare artifact cards, and being able to capture monsters within cards I don't have much.

I'm aware that fluffing a wizard as casting from a random deck would do the job, but I find homebrew thought experiments fun.

So anybody got any mechanical ideas for playing as yugioh on 5the ed?
>>
File: Bulkheads.gif (752KB, 200x141px) Image search: [Google]
Bulkheads.gif
752KB, 200x141px
>>50270269
Just have a word with them and say "look, murder hobo is fine and dandy, but could we try playing a game where you actually roleplay as a somewhat believable character for once?"

They might say that's boring, but even lawful good can be interesting when your characters inherent need to uphold lawful justice gets in the way of them taking an easier more logical approach.

For example in my last game that I DM'd my paladin was lawful good. Found a man who was a member of the heretical cult the party were infiltrating chained up as a result of infighting with the cult. He'd been freindly with a rival of one of the villains they were investigating. They could have unchained him and he would have assisted them, but he was guilty of heresy and aiding evil and unrepentant of that fact so the Paladin summarily executed him as per the instructions of his order.

I hate playing with "lol shenanigans" players. I love a laugh while playing, but I find people who don't at least take it a tiny bit seriously grating
>>
Any tips for a moon druid?

I have never even looked at druid before
>>
>>50270320
Lawful evil could be petiness or selfishness.

Being cruel or malevolent while still being within the confines of the law or a strict code or what have you.

It could be like not sharing all of the loot or deliberately not helping a dying man on the side of the road.

A lack of altrusim
>>
>>50270456
tbqh and fair, Wizard is the best match. You have your card case, you add cards to it, every day you make a deck based on your expectations.
idk why you would want sorcerer
>>
File: yes to please.png (53KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
yes to please.png
53KB, 512x512px
>>50270583
what tips do you want

>morph into shit
>maul shit
>roleplay being feral and shit

only tip I can think of as a DM who's getting a bit fed up with druids:
give your character purpose
some kind of real, tangible goal that makes him want to engage in unnatural shenanigans
something worth staying in a city for a week
something worth staying with a group of adventurers instead of communing with nature
>>
>>50270583
Max your wis, then con. Cast conjure animals to wipe any threat, wildshape to gain essentially infinite hp.
>>
>>50270269
make the guards arbitrarily strong, at least to force them to run away, make them outlaws but remind them that they still have to complete the main quest and it will be a lot harder to do so without the good side of the law.
talk to them and let them know that their actions have consequences, if they aren't enjoying your story, or you aren't enjoying dm'ing for them, find a new group.

expectations should really be talked to like human adults before the campaign even begins, and there's no shame in accepting that one part isn't working.
>>
>>50270456
A member of my party is doing exactly that with the familiar he can summon which can take on different forms be his monsters.

I was thinking of having a system of him drawing cards from a standard deck of 52 as opposed to him rolling, with an ace being a crit or something and there being a base number that he adds to when he draws but it seemed like it could be horribly unbalanced and I couldn't be fucked to see how well it would work
>>
>>50270085
Thanks. I'll try to remember. Any suggestions on what would the wizard ask or how would he test them to grant access to his demiplane?
>>
>>50270320
Well, there are a few different ways to play it.

>Lawful A
You value order and respect the laws and legitimate authority of an area, otherwise it would be ANARCHY! and that is simply not acceptable.

or

>Lawful B
You make decisions in a predictable way, based on a strict code of conduct or ethics you hold yourself to.

>Evil C
Sticking your neck out for other people without an obvious self-interest is for suckers, and the harmcaused to other people in the pursuit of your own goals is not something you concern yourself with, they don't matter in the least - unless those people benefit you in some way.

or

>Evil D
You take pleasure in inflicting harm and misery on others.

>LE AC
>LE AD
>LE BC
>LE BD
>LE ABC
>LE ABD
>LE ABCD
>>
>>50270269
Have the guards put up a good fight, then either knock the party the fuck out and imprison them, or die.
If the party gets captured, have a trial and prosecute them. Keep in mind that "Accessory to a crime" is a crime, but not one worthy of execution. The main offender gets offed, and the rest of the party spends a month or two in jail. If the player of the deceased character gets pissy, keep in mind that you can still find the body and have it resurrected.
If the party slaughters all the guards (or at least some of them. A lot are bound to run away.) then let them go on their merry way.
Then, a couple days later, have them find wanted posters up in towns, and have them be chased by bounty hunters. Keep this up until they pay off their bounty or get killed. Again, keep in mind that this bounty need only be on the main offender, and that they can still be resurrected, though at a cost.
>>
>>50268837

>>50269112
>>50269119
>>50270150

First I want to say sorry for taking so long to respond, I was at work when I posted the .pdf and it got more busy than I expected.

>Level 20 feature is redundant.
I thought when you casted another spell it canceled any concentrated spell. I could be wrong though. (And am, a lot)

>synergies with other classes.
I've kept my eyes mostly shut with multiclassing when it comes to this class, I would like to make sure nothing is too broken if there are things you can do multiclassing, but haven't had the time to look into it.

That being said, the intent of the self harm due to imbrued casting should not be able to be resisted in my eyes as a core mechanic of the class.

>Lack of spells in the spell list.
100% agree, working on it, I've simply gotten it to a place that I'm okay showing what I have to see how people react to it.

>Casting high level spells.
The hemorrhage class feature is meant to help with this. I've also considered making the act of self harm from imbrued casting becomeing a bonus action.

>Abusing Damage
Most likely, it just takes finding them and figureing out how to fix it.

>Start with a d12 hit die, then d10.
This was a error, they both should be d12s.

>No cantrips or base ranged abilites.
While I see the want for a proficiency (something I've thought about adding) I don't want to give this class a way to cast anything 'freely'. I'll explain in a moment.

>Amount of spell slots
I gave the class more than the normal amount of spell slots due to the fact that they do not have cantrips. I want to practice this before really changing it. If it happens to be over/underpowered I'm willing to change it.
>>
>>50270152
Good critiques.

I'm finding I'm quite liking advantage/disadvantage in place of all these fiddly numbers and variables as you might find in PF. This streamlines a lot.

Agree with the system needing more sourcebooks, especially MMs, but apparently the devs want to do something different this edition and want to embed more lore rather crunch into the supplements.

With magic items, you might need to rethink the endgoals of this edition as opposed to PF. Magic items are also limited in their attunements.

>>50270021
Good shit, you better deliver.
>>
>>50270779
2/2
>Spells seem weak
On their own, yes, they are. Unlike most spellcasters, a lot of the spells I've made do not have a "At Higher Level" clauses unless it needs one. This is because of the amount of dice you can pour into a spell using the Crimson Power feature, making a spell like Blood Spike (A 1d8 spell) actually a 3d8 spell in game terms if used with Crimson Power. Embrued dice are meant to be at the core of most of the numbers this class can put out.

That being said, I might be inclied to agree that numbers might need to be changed.

-

I want to say thanks again for the feedback.

(I had no idea there was even a character limit on /tg/)
>>
>>50270280
hey, so is that the thing? Is there any point in being a necromancer if I don't want to raise an army?
>>
>>50270152
>Inconsistent Damage Growth.
>Extra-Attack Hindering Multiclassing.
Serious question: What negative side effects would result from Extra Attack and it's equivalent cantrip growth from the game, and replacing them with simple per-character-level damage scaling, and perhaps a couple of "roll once and divide the damage amongst your targets" AOE attacks?
Only people with TWF would get more than one attack in a round.

It would smoothout the multiclass wrinkle, no?
>>
File: barbarian1.jpg (83KB, 500x669px) Image search: [Google]
barbarian1.jpg
83KB, 500x669px
/5eg/ - What's the best take on 4e's Warden that you've seen or played? I find the Oath of Ancients Paladin to be a bit lacking in the 'magical nature melee' guy department.
>>
I want to have a Yuan-Ti arc in my campaign. Please give me some ideas on how to use them.

Thank you.
>>
>>50270021
Would also like.

Bonus points if you include knowledge DCs about the monster, how it acts, where it lives, what makes it dangerous, how dangerous it is (CR), and what its constituent bits are useful for.
>>
>>50270807
*from removing.
>>
>>50270807
I need a better explanation/example of what you're suggesting here.

You intend to add some character-level +damage boosts in place of all Extra Attack and +Cantrip Dice? How does that work when different weapons and cantrips do different damage?
And a TWF person hitting twice would smash face if all of a classes damage came in one blow while scaling per-character-level is in effect.

It could be interesting but sounds awkward.
>>
>>50265215
How do I DnD without pissing off my DM?
>>
>>50270626
I know wiz fits if one ignors the randomness of shuffling and drawing from a deck. And it would miss the funnest aspect of trading card games the collecting and deck building.

I'm thinking of actually printing a deck with the spells listed on them, along with subclass unique monsters, effects and traps.

Also chose Sorcerer for easy sorcery point max = deck magic level
A caster with 10 sorcery points can make a deck with a total level of 10. And it fits fluff wise as a derivative of wild magic, sealing the chaos in cards for a bit more control of their magic, but still being subject to rng.
>>
>>50270670
Having a actual physical deck to draw from would add a lot of nifty-ness to the class.
>>
>>50270946
Wat. Why?
>>
>>50270902
>You intend to add some character-level +damage boosts in place of all Extra Attack and +Cantrip Dice?
Yes.

>How does that work when different weapons and cantrips do different damage?
I was thinking different bonuses by different base damage, but you could math out what the bonuses would be at the optimized end, and then use that as a universal benchmark of sorts. You'd buff the weaker builds without buffing the stronger ones. Worst damage I can see that causing is a wider variety of weapons used.

And a potential model for the AoE would be that you roll a to-hit, which is applied against all enemies AC in your reach, roll damage once, and divide it up among them however you like.* - Just a rough idea.

>TWF person hitting twice would smash face if all of a classes damage came in one blow while scaling per-character-level is in effect.
Yeah, you'd need a "this bonus damage can only be applied to a damage roll once a round" caveat.

But I mean, it seems like a simple way to improve multiclassing, no?
>>
>>50270391
Not really.
1. Magic resistance is cool. It's not game breaking but it's cool. Most combatants are (usually) monsters that force non-magical saves or go straight for damage.
2. Poison immunity is also kinda cool. Kinda. It's not the end all be all of damage types, let's put it that way. If I planned on siccing a green dragon on you then I'll probably facepalm like the time I threw enemies that cast sleep a lot at a party of elves.
3. Its stats are only good for being a caster or a paladin with a strength/con deficiency. That's not much variety. On the sorcerer and bard side you're competing with dragonborn (resistance + breath weapon) and half-elves (2 +1s, a skill proficiency, diplomacy boosts, and sleep immunity), on the wizard side you're competing with gray elves (+2 dex), hobgoblins (light armor), and I don't actually know what else gets an int boost.
The point is they're balanced, play at your DMs digression, have fun playing a snek.
>>
>>50271002
>DMs digression
discretion
>>
>>50270981
He said
Don't be an anime
and dont be a fury
I just want to be a lizard guy
>>
how does everyone feel about an eventual 5.Xe or even a 6e?

i started playing at 5e so the only things i know about prior editions and their transitional periods is what i've read, and i don't know how a transitional period would work now, given wizards comfortable place right now.
>>
>>50270841
Did you miss that from the previous MMs?
Not a bad idea for inclusion though.

You could also set it up potentially similar to Volo's, with lore then actual entries (yo defeat and then harvest) and then recipes and equipment making.
>>
File: Liquid Shag meets Solid Shag.jpg (28KB, 444x334px) Image search: [Google]
Liquid Shag meets Solid Shag.jpg
28KB, 444x334px
>>50270946
Don't be a sperg

Don't try to be the funny guy if you're not very funny

If you are funny, don't try and turn every conceivable opportunity into a joke, Having a laugh is good and fine, but is kind of shitty when you're a DM when you craft a world or a campaign just to have it ridden over roughshod by players who don't give a shit.

Don't be a dick

Don't be a pervert
This is a big one for me. I don't mind a dirty joke or two, but when you expect the DM to start roleplaying a lewd encounter with you it can very easily turn weird very quickly

Remember that the point is that everyone has fun and to be mindful that your fun isn't ruining things for others. Different people enjoy different aspects of the game. Some like combat, some like interacting with other players, some like coming up with inventive solutions to problems. No one way is better than the others or more correct so let people play how they want (provided it doesn't ruin things for you either)

And finally, though I've already said it, it bears repeating, don't be a dick.
>>
>>50267804
Bless you, Anon.
>>
>>50271053
You realize a furry wants to fuck anthropomorphic animals, yeah? As long as you don't want that, you're all good.
>>
I want to add some very dark fantasy type themes to my campaign. I want my PCs to feel afraid. Any tips?
>>
>>50271053
If he feels the need to add those caveats to you, its already too late anon.
>>
>>50271093
>Anthropomorphic
H-haha, yeah... definitely only humanoid animals, haha... I'm just gonna head back to /pfg/ for a bit...
>>
>>50271064
I wish the older manuals included more. Theyre typically rather lacking in such details. I'd like to have like a half or quarter page dedicated to the subject
>>
>>50271098
Monsters that are tough to beat for reasons that aren't just high hp/ac.

Completely brand new monsters that they don't know how to fight.
>>
>want to make a Tabaxi rogue that shreds things with claws
>see this: http://www.sageadvice.eu/2016/11/16/are-tabaxi-claws-considered-finesse-weapons/
The dream is dead.
>>
>>50271098
Don't try to make them feel afraid throughout a whole session - let the tension break sometimes so you can build it up again.

https://img.fireden.net/tg/image/1453/84/1453840962349.pdf
>>
File: 1479325582516.jpg (896KB, 1180x1714px) Image search: [Google]
1479325582516.jpg
896KB, 1180x1714px
>>50270021
You're just driving the poor, innocent creatures to extinction, you monster.
>>
>>50271061
Unlikely to occur in any significant way in the near future.

I think they'll just churn out more PHBs with the errata baked in.

Eventually that errata will likely include a polished revised ranger.

They're doing pretty well with their current business model, especially considering the savings of having such a small number of employees to pay.
>>
File: 1479325648591.jpg (793KB, 1130x1623px) Image search: [Google]
1479325648591.jpg
793KB, 1130x1623px
>>50271265
>>
>>50271240
That's just as stupid as "unarmed attacks are not finesse weapons". For the purpose of sneak attacks, if your DM doesn't allow them, he's pretty fucking retarded IMO.
>>
>>50270708
No good ideas right now.
The only thing I came up with is: this wizard is actually a Lich, pissed off with the Cult because they stopped making Dracoliches and wants to get back at them, so he gives one free ride into his pocket demiplane and that's it. Meshes with the story's background but doesn't make much sense
If I think of something better I'll post in a subsequent thread. Godspeed, anon.
>>
>>50271125
Fucking hell. Fucking creeps.
>>
Why are the HP guidelines for monsters in the DMG seemingly so much higher than all the actual monsters?
>>
>>50271098
Read Curse of Strahd

>>50271261
>https://img.fireden.net/tg/image/1453/84/1453840962349.pdf
thanks for that
>>
File: 1479332656063.jpg (178KB, 1024x904px) Image search: [Google]
1479332656063.jpg
178KB, 1024x904px
>>50270021
Roasted faerie dragon.
>>
>>50271299
That's an interesting idea but yeah, wouldn't make much sense. I think I might go with lunatic archmage that makes the party go through his magic funhouse before allowing them entry into the demiplane. Now to think up an actual wizard funhouse... I don't know if I'm that creative haha.
>>
So if I give a Carnium Rat familiar a headband of intelligence, could it in theory, perform Swarm spells?
>>
>>50271648
can familiars use magic items
can familiars attune to magic items
do you have a rat-sized headband of intelligence?
can non-warlock familiars cast spells?

I'm going to say the answer to all of the above is no
>>
>>50271741
>can familiars use magic items
>can familiars attune to magic items
If they have enough intelligence and the item in question doesn't have restrictions (elves only, wizards only), yes.
>do you have a rat-sized anything
No. RAW magic items don't change sizes to fit the wielder, so you'd need to either raid a really crazy magic item stash or custom order.
I actually don't know what swarm spells are so I can't say yes or no about the spellcasting thing.
>>
>>50266733
>>50270007
Hey! Idahoanon here, I did post it a while back but it didn't get much attention and I've been putting off a 2nd draft while I work on my actual campaign. Here's the rough draft though.

You could totally run it, but I need to work on formatting, flavor text and add in balance suggestions rather than just saying 'do it yourself' like I do in the draft. I'll get around to it soonâ„¢ after I finish up some of my other projects.
>>
>>50271878
Also, I'm going to re-draw that map either digitally or on good, clear paper before adding in my own tiles so it doesn't look like ass.
>>
>>50270991

Like, for instance, damage seems to scale from about an average of 13 at L1 to an average of 153 at 20, on a GWM Fighter (40 from GWM, and 11 from the combination of ASI and Extra Attack).

Here's a 5eified ACF

>Martial Power
Starting at 2nd level, a fighter gains a martial power pool. The Martial power pool resets to its full value at the start of the fighter's turn.
The number of points available to the fighter in his pool is equal to 5.5*(Fighter Lvl-1) (Spell it out in a table, and round the numbers off).
When a fighter attacks a target, he can allocate any number of martial power points to the target. If he hits the target, add the points to the damage.
Additionally, when you take the Attack action on your turn, you can target up to three additional targets in range, with your martial power points, not just your primary target.
This feature replaces Extra Attack at 5, 11, and 20.

You'd need to adjust GWM if you want ti to be as good as it is now, and you might want to factor in critical hit damage into that number scaling, but as a proof of concept, that's what I'm describing. (I suspect some of my number scaling is coming from the "Great Cleave" effect on GWM, so that would be pulled out of consideration on the fighter numbers, and considered when redesigning GWM for a game without Extra Attack thereafter.

For classes with less extra attacks, You's still Grant a Martial Power pool, but the number of points would be different. When multiclassing you would simply combine the pools.

So you'd need to change GWM, and make an ACF similar to this one for each class with Extra Attack, but it seems easy enough, just requires a bit of number crunching.

Then for the ASI increases and how they affect multiclassing, the ones at 4,8,12,16,19 happen based on character level, and any others happen at their indicated class level.

Thoughts?
>>
>>50271828
>No. RAW magic items don't change sizes to fit the wielder

They don't? I thought they did, at least within a class size from medium
>>
>>50271098
>>50271326
Seconding this. Read Curse of Strahd.
>>
is it just me or the VGtM in the trove is missing a couple of pages?
after trying downloading it again, a couple of pages still look unreadably blurry.
>>
>>50271979
This has been explicitly the case for things like rings (but not weapons or armor) and such in previous editions.

I don't know that there's any such blurb in 5e.
>>
>>50271878
>>50271908
Oh neat, I loved your Halloween adventure! Do you have any more PDF adventures or a blog or something like that?
>>
Does anyone have an archive of the old Wizard's Map-a-week stuff?
>>
>>50271991
All the pages are there. Sometimes it can have bugged rendering, try zooming out and back in to fix it if you're using Acrobat Reader.
>>
>>50272083
I've done some other stuff, but those are my only two 5e modules. I don't have a blog or anything, I just post my stuff either here or in /osrg/ when I feel like it.
>>
My group rarely ever plays anymore. I don't want to leave them since I like a lot of the people there, but I have a short time window every week on which I know I can sit on my ass for 4 hours without anything important happening and a significant amount is going down the drain in waiting for someone to show up and say they aren't available for the week so we'll have to postpone. We are a once-per-week chat group at this point
>>
>>50265215
Ok, first time DM. Running Princes of the Apocalypse for 4 people. Players are
>Pirate Paladin, player plays a lot of 4e, first time with 5e
>Barbarian Tiefling, player same as pirate paladin
>Aarakocra Druid, Player has played 5e before but is in singapore
>Half-Elf Ranger, Player is new to D&D in general

Any suggestions. Read through the entire adventure, but is there anything you might suggest?
>>
>>50271979
Oh, whoops, I read the part that says you can have magic items only fit a certain size or shape, but didn't read the part before it that says they can usually adjust themselves!
>>
>>50272422
>Aarakocra Druid
Watch for the "lol thornwhip into the air for free falling damage" meme bullshit.
>>
>>50272014
It was either in sage advice or crawfords twitter that weapons and held items do not change in size, but that worn items change to fit the wearer.

I am not sure if that is backed up by RAW in the PHB or DMG. RAI is worn items change, held items do not.
>>
>>50272498
Anything saying you can't do that?
Anything saying you can't fly in bear form as an Aarakocro?
>>
>>50272524
No, but it's still dumb.

Can't fly in bear form because you aarakocra flight is from your wings, and bears don't have wings.
>>
>>50267947
Bump
>>
>>50272543
If you have players that abuse falling damage onto monsters, start having the monsters do it back to the players.
>>
>>50272498

Wouldn't it only be an additional 1d6 damage? Hardly seems consequential.
>>
>>50272621
> starting a shit throwing contest with your players instead of having an adult conversation about rules
that will end well.
>>
>>50272647
And then they also fall prone.

It was a big meme after the EEPC first came out.
>>
>>50272621
I once played a oneshot campaign, 3.5, my character was a wizard who specialized in dropping earth elementals on foes. I also dropped a sleeping dragon from miles up.
>>
>>50272722

Yes, I was here at the time. It still isn't that big a deal. Not like the flying-grappling-dropping thing, that was pretty bullshit.
>>
>>50272737
A one-shot...campaign?
>>
>>50270713
>>50270620
Thanks guys.
>>
>>50272722
>And then they also fall prone.
Why though? I'd have the creature make a DC 10 Acrobatics check to avoid prone at least, same as I'd do for a PC.
>>
>>50272799
>Why though?
If a creature falls and takes damage, it falls prone. PHB pg. 183.
>>
>>50272799
Because those are the rules for suffering falling damage per PHB pg 183.
Of course you can easily add Acrobatics checks or whatnot to mitigate it but hey
>>
>>50272765
You know, we played a story that was completable in one session? DM just wanted to use this event in the backstory of his campaign, and had us play it out, with verying results depending on what we did. Because we chose not to listen to the aboleth we so rudely intruded upon and killed for raising a clone army and stealing a magic artifact, we never learned anything about the clones and presumably left them out alone in the world to fend for themselves, never found the artifact so it's lost forever, and my character's epilogue involved earth elementals constantly summoning me to land on their foes.
>>
>>50272877
>and my character's epilogue involved earth elementals constantly summoning me to land on their foes.
what a fate
>>
>>50272808
>>50272818
What do you think of this houserule?
>Upon falling, you can make an Acrobatics check to mitigate damage and avoid falling prone. Any result below 10 is a failure. For 10 and above you shrug off damage equal to half of your Acrobatics check, rounded down.
>If you shrug off all damage taken, you also land on your feet.
Or
>If you roll a 15 or higher and shrug off at least half of the damage, you don't fall prone.
Might make it take your reaction, too.
>>
>>50272097
oh, that worked, it never crossed my mind. thanks.
>>
So the party has to switch off some valves, because oozes are slowly coming out and filling the room, which is preventing the ship they are on from deactivating it's shields and letting them go.

How do I make this into a puzzle encounter that's fun?

I'm thinking there might be a sentinel who doesn't want them to turn off the defense systems to keep what's sealed inside the ship...sealed.

Any ideas?
>>
>>50266726
I'm intrigued.
Things I would change-
At third level, start the weapon customization. I'd have to bust out the book and look at the weapons to give you precise examples, but off the top of my head give the options for versatile, heavy, or finesse, so the player right off the bat is going along their intended path.
Also at third, access to a cantrip. Specify goodberries or whatever.
At 7th, another set of options for the weapon mods, things like auxiliary effects. Then, a utility feature- possibly a skill proficiency (nature) or something like being able to ignore one level of exhaustion.
At 10th, mods like adding reach or ranged would be appropriate. Blanking on a nice feature, maybe more magic.
Then 15th? I forget what the progression is for fighter archetypes. Ignoring difficult terrain, or certain detrimental environment effects. 18th could be really badass weapon stuff like power attacks or double dice.
>>
>>50268247

I just wanna say this is cool as shit and thank you for posting it.
>>
>>50273244
If the players don't turn the valves, the slimes will run over four people. If the players turn the valves, the slimes will only run over one person.

Do they stand idle and refuse to intervene, or do they throw the switch and put the blood of a man who would not have otherwise died on their hands?
>>
>>50273298
Throw in a sick loop-de-loop and you have a deal.
>>
File: Philosophy just works.gif (191KB, 500x266px) Image search: [Google]
Philosophy just works.gif
191KB, 500x266px
>>50273298
There's only one solution to this
MULTI SLIME DRIFTING
>>
>>50266337
No invocation costs a spell slot, just 1/long rest.

Fixed
>>
>>50273331
>>50273331
>>
>>50266217
If you want to go full nomagic tank, I'd suggest going primarily human barbarian. If you want the Conan build, go 16 barb/4 Rogue; to really min-max go 2 fighter for action surge.
Battle Rager for more damage during grapples or bear totem if your DM says it's dwarf only, go thief for fast hands.

Feats:
Human: Shield Master(really amazing at lower levels)
Tavern Brawler(your shield is an improvised weapon)
ASI
Athlete(for suplex and ASI) or Mage Slayer
Lucky

Skills
Athletics(Expertise period)
Stealth
Acrobatics
Slight of hands

You probably understand where this build is going, it's grappler build that can shutdown a big baddie and piss off the DM like a good meatshield should. You sneak up on wizards, put them in a headlock like the nerds they are, rip pouches/focuses off with fast hands and knock em prone. Works really well if you use facing rules and you get behind them.
Downside is you're better off using a rapier instead of a battleaxe, maybe if you ask nicely your DM will allow a mithril battleaxe to drop.
>>
File: i got u fam.jpg (88KB, 600x372px) Image search: [Google]
i got u fam.jpg
88KB, 600x372px
>>50273381
>>50273331
>>50273298
>>50273244
>>
File: BIRD.png (98KB, 200x214px) Image search: [Google]
BIRD.png
98KB, 200x214px
>>50266337
>mfw 5 level 5 spells every short rest at level 9
>>
>>50271118
He also said don't go ask 4chan for advice and that's when I said I don't want to play 5e. I'm looking for information and ideas without having to ask him or another member of the group, but I forgot he's an autistic shit like everyone is.
>>
File: Evil Doll CR2.jpg (347KB, 1736x1474px) Image search: [Google]
Evil Doll CR2.jpg
347KB, 1736x1474px
Had a blast with my players who encountered one of these. Party of level ones, so I know they can't deal with it really. But then, that's the point. Also, my eight year old daughter helped me by letting me record her taunting and laughing. 10/10 will terrorize party with this soon to be recurring villain again.
>>
File: mild disappointment.jpg (56KB, 768x576px) Image search: [Google]
mild disappointment.jpg
56KB, 768x576px
>mfw a friend of mine wants to do a character cursed with an evil split personality
>>
>>50273628
>>
File: 1478182320257.jpg (206KB, 500x737px) Image search: [Google]
1478182320257.jpg
206KB, 500x737px
>>50271098
Don't play 5e
>>
>>50271976
Hey guys, what are your thoughts on this?

There's still more to go; particularly reqriting GWM to work better with these rules. Likely also some text editing will need to be done. But otherwise, what do you think?

Constructive Criticisms welcome.
>>
>>50270269
Just spend the entire campaign outside of society, fending for themselves in the wilderness. No laws, no problem.

If the players want to go to a city, and ask why there are none to be found, tell them that all the villages were burnt to the ground by irresponsible adventurers.
>>
>>50273705
Whoops, spotted an error in my calculated point totals for Paladin.
>>
>>50273833
>martial power
w-what? for what purpose?
>>
>>50274322
Its uh, right there at the top of the document.

>Better martial multiclassing.

but more consistent damage growth is a bit of a side benefit. as is the ability to attack multiple targets at low levels withput breaking the damage progressions.
>>
>>50274388
I don't like it. It seems too complicated and doesn't really do what you're hoping it would. It also completely breaks the action economy.

>A ranged fighter can now attack ten times in a round.
>Or a fighter gets to deal 64 guaranteed damage on a hit without taking feats like GWM which are currently needed to get that much damage bonus at an accuracy penalty.

What do you feel is too weak about multiclass options?
>>
>>50274948
>damage too high
the damage you do is slightly lower what youre missing out on by ditching the extra attack class feature, *without* gwm. thats where i got the point values from: math. i used the existing damage options to get the numbers.

>breaks action economy
>10 attacks
only if youre an archer. there are only 8 squares that surround you, so you'd be capped at 8, and even then, only if youre xompletely surrounded. but say you did get 10 attacks: how is 10 attacks for 1d10 damage (average 55) more powerful than 4 attacks for an average of 80 damage?

the action economy as a limiter only matters if all attacks are at a similar amount of damage. if one guy has one attack for 10 damage, and another guy gets 3 attacks for 3 damage, the guy with 3 attacks is not overpowered.

i could see an argument for limiting the number of targets for simplicity's sake, but number wise, if its the same total average damage in a turn, its not more powerful.

>what do you feel is too weak about multiclass.
Extra attack is all or nothing, does not stack, and is tied to specific class levels, rather than being something you can get part of with a smaller level investment.

It's also the bulk of the damage source on several classes.

I want multiclass characters to be on the same level as single class characters, not "generally shittier other than fringe exceptions".

asis, same thing, despute every class having them at 4 8 12 16 19, if you multiclass you get gimped.
>>
>>50274948
>>50275053
That's not to say there's nothing wrong with my current solution or that there's no way it could be improved, I'm sure it could be.

I'd be open to looking into other ideas if you have another approach to accomplish the same goal adequately.

But of the possible things wrong with it the average damage should not be one of them, because it's designed to match the existing average damage, and it is marginally lower if you take the multiple targets approach.
>>
>>50275125
>>50274948
The goal is twofold

> 1.to match the damage output of a single classed character, with multiclass characters.
>2. To smooth out damage source acquisition when leveling in martial classes, so it's not all sudden spikes followed by stagnation until the next sudden spike.
>>
>>50275145
oh, and I guess
>3. To do so system-wide, rather than tweaking a single class.
>>
>>50275155
the way i got to those point totals was:

get the average damage values at 1, 5, and 20.

and rather than going up in big chunks every few levels, its a smooth progression.

only think i could see maybe doing differently in terms of the progression is getting rid of the bump at 5 and doing a smooth 1-20, which would mean being below curve quite often.
>>
>>50275213
butvif the math works out better that way id be happy to follow the math.
>>
>>50275053
Your math is off. Without GWM type feats, the average damage of 4 attacks using a 2d6 weapon and max attack stat is just under 50. The average damage of ten additional attacks, plus a normal attack, achievable with a polearm or ranged weapon is 10d10 plus weapon dice plus modifier plus 4 (since there are four leftover points). With a polearm this averages out to 69.5 I believe.

The average of a single attack by a 2d6 weapon, using all battle points or whatever you call them for extra damage would be 76, 2d6+69.

You've definitely buffed the damage of everything.

I haven't even touched on how ludicrous it is that a monk does more damage with its fists by taking 19 levels in fighter, to get a better martial arts die by attacking other creatures.

Your motivations are stupid. Extra attack is discrete, but so are most class level features. Most powerful builds feature multiclassing to some extent, so it isn't in a bad spot.

The one thing you've done that I like is making it so asi features happen automatically. Take that and make extra attack features stack and that's all the fixing multiclassing needs.
Thread posts: 355
Thread images: 42

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.