[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Japanese Tabletop RPG Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 319
Thread images: 15

File: 1445698015239.jpg (299KB, 1440x900px) Image search: [Google]
1445698015239.jpg
299KB, 1440x900px
Anybody getting Shinobigami when it comes out next month?
>>
How's Tenra Bansho Zero? The book is absolutely huge, so it seems like reading through it would be a lot of work.
>>
>>50253175
Backer waiting for... any kind of update at this point.
I have faith in Andy, but I'd still appreciate, well, something.

>>50253364
Pure genius, great read, relatively modular in that not all archetypes are intended to be available for every game and with such a peculiar setting that I, for the life of me, can't find any players.
>>
>>50253364
Lots of TBZ is lists of things that you can skim through pretty easily. If you have any interest whatsoever, I'd recommend checking it out, it's great.
>>
>>50253496
They said something about an update next week on the kickstarter, but that was on the 3rd. Something about a tight schedule
>>
>>50253608
Well, that's good news.
Considering we already have the draft and I only get a pdf anyway, I'm not that anxious for the full release per se.
>>
>>50253175
No, because I was broke that month. Wanted to back it, it's an interesting game.
>>
Just waiting for a physical copy.

Maybe they can snatch Meikyuu next..
>>
>>50256969
Isn't that pretty much fully translated?
>>
File: Meikyu Kingdom.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
Meikyu Kingdom.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>have a translation
>>
>>50258598
Not really. Setting info is left untranslated and there some info that isn't well explained well. Like abilities with unclear descriptions.
>>
>>50256969
I doubt they want to.
Also, Lanternworks Unlimited is or is not officially supposed to be working on it.
>>
>>50253364
Amazing RPG with really good, well-tied together mechanics and absolutely abysmal layout holy shit it is bad.

But if you make some cheat sheets (how to create a character, how to advance, the rolling and combat) it's great.
>>
Kancolle TRPG, but I don´t understand those combat rules at all. Also, I probably won´t be able to persuade my non-weeb friends to play a shipgirl game, fml.
>>
>>50260145
Yeah that makes sense. Maybe there is something on the horizon though

There's plenty of jttrpgs out there untranslated. Stuff like Terra the Gunslinger (Steampunk Western based on the old West that uses playing cards) Tenra WAR (The crossover between Tenra and Terra, basically samurai vs Cowboys with aliens), and Beast Bind (Which looks interesting but I know nothing about)
>>
File: The Game Table_TRPG 1.jpg (338KB, 900x756px) Image search: [Google]
The Game Table_TRPG 1.jpg
338KB, 900x756px
bampu des'
>>
>>50260718
>absolutely abysmal layout holy shit it is bad
You're probably thinking of Double Cross. Tenra Bansho Zero's layout is pretty normal for RPGs.
>>
>>50253175
Yeah, backer here. I'm waiting for updates, hoping to get it before the end of the year.

>>50253364
I like it, still groups are hard to find...
>>
It was mentioned earlier, but has anyone actually played Meikyu? I can't find any replays out there.
>>
>>50264511
Yes.
>>
File: 1473899955879.jpg (9KB, 220x200px) Image search: [Google]
1473899955879.jpg
9KB, 220x200px
>>50264550
>>
>>50264511
I've ran it many times what do you need to know?
>>
Is there a list of JRPG's available, I have a large trove and may have some of them. It would also make scouting out missing books easier for me.
>>
>>50264614
How does play work? Between the dungeoncrawling and the other half of the game? Does it mesh well?

>>50264637
As far as I know, this is what's translated. Between official and unofficial ones.
Double Cross (Core Book, Advanced Rulebook, Public Enemy, Infinity Code), Grancrest, Golden Sky Stories, Kancolle, Log Horizon, Monotone Museum, Meikyu, Nechronica, Night Wizard (3E), Ryuutama, Shinobigami (Soon), Tenra Bansho Zero, Witch Quest
>>
>>50264637
Which ones do you have?
>>
>>50264776
The Kingdom and End Phases are mostly just preparation and cleanup, not much to mesh there.

"How does play work?" is an awfully vague question.
It works.
Quite formulaic, but with lots of randomly rolled prompts for interesting and zany roleplaying, so it relies on the players not just going through the motions. That said, the mechanics are quite interesting and varied, so there's enough fun to be had there, too.
>>
>>50264776
They're complementary and the base gameplay loop is built on that. The kingdom phase gameplay is about mission briefing and preparation before hitting the dungeon and endphase is the debrief and clean up. The dungeon is where your preparation pays off or doesn't, and with the spoils of your dungeon run you get materials to build up the kingdom which is important as your character progression is tied to the kingdom's and the facilities you get help in various ways.

If you're talking about narrative elements and how they mesh with the gameplay cycle the translation has some blurb about putting heavy role playing bits before you do the kingdom phase. Plus player backstories can be used as justification for the dungeon crawls.

The question about "how does play work"
is as >>50267484 said really vague.

The general feel is that of a casual old school D&D dungeon crawling campaign with board game elements. Combat is a bit strategic since you got positioning and abilities which do various things and which you'll be metagaming to see what is the wombo-combo within your party.

But honestly just fucking play it or run it.
>>
>>50264637
Just post it anyway, all else fails we just have another location to download everything from.
>>
>>50260362
>Lanternworks Unlimited is or is not officially supposed to be working on it.
That's the problem
>>
>>50270926
It's fucked. On an SA thread months ago they said there was an issue with communication with the company not giving them materials cuz the publishers thought they weren't working or some shit and are being stonewalled.

Things could be changed but I don't know because I'm not paying 10 dollars to access the forum.
>>
I'm gonna guess that "immunity:katanas+Desert Eagles" is an overpowered defensive trait in all of these systems?
>>
>>50271280
Not really, no. It'd be a waste, really.
>>
>>50270061
My collection is large, over 500 gigs large. I can't just share that.
>>
>>50253364
There is a RPG meet half a block away from my house in two weeks, so I'm gonna run this with strangers.
Would be the first time I run it, any recomendations for first time? 4 players max, with 5-6 pregenerated sheets to chose from with some options here and there.
>>
So what came first, the Grancrest RPG or the light novels?
>>
>>50272226
I'm fairly sure it was the light novels
>>
>>50271254
>the publishers thought they weren't working or some shit
Well, of course. I think so, too. I have serious doubts as to whether Lanternworks Unlimited even exists.
I mean, what kind of complete fucktards make Something Awful and 4chan their only online presence? If you're too lazy to put even just a rudimentary one-page website to your name so people can actually contact you, you deserve every single communication problem possible.

>>50271280
It would basically never trigger.

>>50272039
Yes, you can.
>>
>>50274030
They existed to a certain point and that point was 3 years ago for whatever was translated for that German gaming convention.

>I mean, what kind of complete fucktards make Something Awful and 4chan their only online presence?

From the standpoint of their contract work I doubt that matters. The translators are this clique that post on SA and have translated games from an equally small pool of game companies which makes them all fairly interconnected. No really like the guy who translated Maid worked with the same author for translating Golden Sky Stories. TBZ and Double cross are from the same publisher F.E.A.R. And said translator is friends with these other translators that have worked on these other games.

If you're talking about the standpoint of potential customer with interest in buying a properly translated version of meikyuu, than yeah the decision to have no presence beyond those areas is utterly lacking in transparency as well as frustrating.

>you can contact me via RPG.net, SomethingAwful, or as someone did in here, via email from the press release contact. I was posting about it on 4chan awhile ago, but other than that there isn't much to discuss right now and the content has been archived. I am reluctant to make any dedicated accounts for this pretty much until we're in the release phases. I don't need more social media on my plate to keep updated with - not to be rude, but just the team (including me) is well enough loaded with other stuff already.

Make of it as you will

DESU at this point the only way I can see a proper translation of it coming out is if Shinobigami proves successful and sparks goodwill in trying to translate more games by Adventure Planning Service who publishes both games.
>>
>>50253175
I-i-is that nathan explosion in a skirt?
>>
>>50274753
I thought the EXACT SAME THING before I expanded the image.
>>
>>50274715
If they're friends with Kitkowski, Sanchez and Cluney, why have I never heard about that clique? Usually, they're all about cross-promotion.
>>
>>50272039
Do you have raws of Grancrest? I wanna look at pictures of Lords, Artists, and Mages.
>>
>>50275453
I was intending to call the collective pool of the people that have worked on most of these professional translations of Japanese games a clique cuz a good chunk of them post on Something Awful where they do discuss progress their work as well as what other games they might be looking at to translate.

I don't know if they're friends but they're definitely connected and networking with each other. https://plus.google.com/106336779568808404452/posts/EbHYsQZTSSf?sfc=true

Here you can see one of the meikyuu guys talking about communication breakdown stalling progress on the translation and Kitkowski saying he'll email the guy about it as well as inadvertently confirming that there is some terrible fucking levels of communication which is the most culpable cause of why the project died.
>>
>>50276493
No, I have very little in the way of books under 'G'.
>>
>Tfw no Tenra WAR ever
>>
Bumping thread
>>
Would you say there are certain aspects that make a game feel Japanese, the same way Japanese video games Greek different from Western video games?
>>
>>50264776
Has anyone actually played the Log Horizon RPG?

I've looked through it, but for some reason some of it makes me want to smack the person that made it.
>>
>>50281206

What's the problem with it?
>>
>>50281246
I'm not sure, and that's what irks me.

That's why I asked, to see if anyone has any actually played it and see if anyone has had any issues with it or if it's just my autism acting up.
>>
>>50281271
If it's any comfort, I have the exact same impression.
Something about the system is incredibly off, but whenever I try to look at something in detail, it more or less checks out.

>>50281162
>focus on one-shots
>inter-PC drama
>ROC (roll or choice) elements in chargen
>detailed session structure
>pre-determined PC roles for scenarios

...is what I can think off the top of my head.
>>
>>50281469
>detailed session structure
>pre-determined PC roles for scenarios
What did you mean by this?
>>
>>50281517
The TL;DR is railroading

Double cross is the most notable example with how strict it wants the play to go, I think it even encourages what amounts to cutscenes with NPCs and having scenes where not all PCs are there
>>
>>50281517
>session structure
Meikyuu Kingdom sessions always move from Kingdom Phase to Dungeon Phase to End Phase. Each Quarter in the Dungeon usually goes from Enter a Room to Encounter to Camp.

Shinobigami sessions are intended to have an Introduction Phase, a Main Phase with three scenes per player freely divided between Drama and Combat Scenes plus Master Scenes as needed, followed by a Climax Phase and cleanup.

Double Cross sessions consist of an Introduction Phase, a Main Phase with a couple investigation scenes and one fight, followed by a Climax Phase once the required key scenes have been triggered and cleanup to see who gets to make a new character.

>PC roles
Tenra Bansho Zero has the GM prepare the rough story along with PC handouts that require the player to pick certain archetypes and give them a Scenario Fate.

Shinobigami sessions start with the GM distributing handouts containing each PC's Mission and Secret.

Double Cross handouts consist of a required Work/Cover/etc. and a quick description of the PC's role in the session.
>>
>>50281469
>If it's any comfort, I have the exact same impression.
>Something about the system is incredibly off, but whenever I try to look at something in detail, it more or less checks out.

Looking over it again, part of it may be due to how Character Rank =/= In Game level. Meaning, that you could have a Character Rank of 1 (starting) but in the narrative be a level 82 Monk or something. Which throws things way out of wack and causes some cognizant dissonance with the fact a group of low level kobolds could kill a high level character just because they both happen to be Character Rank 1.
>>
>>50282804
That's just a minor nitpick, really. Level is a purely cosmetic number, so as long as you're being reasonable about it, it's not a problem.

No, my impression is that there's something wrong with the mechanics themselves.
I will try it sooner or later, but I'll have to make a playset for a con first. And for that, Giant Allege and Shinobigami currently take precedence.
>>
>>50282895
I don't know.

Considering the fact that it's a game based on an Anime based on a Light Novel that's set in that universe's more hardcore version of WoW. The fact that it doesn't actually try to wear the trappings of an MMO-type game is a pretty big nitpick.
>>
>>50282951
Abstraction. Trying to cram MMO-style levels into the system just creates unnecessary complications. And Japanese RPGs very much value efficiency over faithfulness to the source material.
Also, it's based directly on the Light Novels. The author himself worked on the TRPG.
>>
>>50281751
What's wrong with that? I usually write up a short vignette for my players after every session to introduce new characters, look what the villain is up to, etc
>>
How is Ryutama? A friend is quite happy with it, but I'd like extra opinions before I buy anything.
>>
>>50282895
I believe this to be the strongest combo in the game, to the point that all other methods of damage dealing are meaningless.

>Monks don't use up Pursuit when using Tiger Echo Fist
>Monks can use Aerial Rave as a minor action to trigger all Pursuit on the target in one hit

All you need are Monks and high-Pursuit classes.
>>
>>50282895
I don't know whether this eventually becomes an issue or not, but Cleric's Reactive Heal doesn't scale with character stats. Only skills, which are capped.

Meanwhile, Druid has a regeneration skill that scales with two stats and lasts the entire fight. It only takes one more point in a skill to add Recovery to the regen.
>>
>>50282895
>Giant Allege

Mah nigga
>>
>>50282895
Before this post, I had no idea something like Giant Allege existed.
The premise sounds amazing
>>
>>50286613
I'm reading about it now, too!
>>
>>50285473
>>50286613
When you read the translation, please note that it is incorrect.
I haven't gone through the entire document, because my Japanese is not that good, but as I was turning the Forms and ARMs into cards for easier character creation, I noticed that about half of them are incomplete or flat-out wrong.
>>
>>50283622
It's awesome.
What exactly do you want to know?
>>
>>50283622
Magic scaling is OP.
>>
>>50289530
Common misconception.
>>
You guys are probably the authority on this on /tg/ (aside from touhoufag I guess)

What do I need to do to make my generic d&d campaign more "anime-like" Yeah, yeah, I know, anime isn't a genre. But anime itself has a recognizable style and trappings. I just want to isolate those styles and trappings and inject it into the game.
>>
>>50287762
>>50286972

I didn't even know there was a Giant Allege translation. All I know about it was from that somethingawful review.
>>
>>50290629
Graft noncombat rules to your game from elsewhere.
>>
>>50290629
Play Mutants and Masterminds instead. It's based on d20 and has sourcebooks for "anime-like" characters.
>>
>>50290629
The easiest way would be to switch to a JRPG.
>>
>>50290637

My god, my love for Legal drama's and giant Mechs has been personified in RPG form....
>>
Can anyone here conjure up an English version of the Giant Allege character sheet while I write down the corrections that need to be made to the Forms and ARMs?
>>
>>50294443
Actually, screw writing it down. Have a spreadsheet.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1VoLneSpfzsTFLVYo_-N-mQiDdHNVp5V8dZ0nVhT7PoA/edit?usp=sharing

The thing to note about Forms is that any adjustments to Quick, Break and Armor are applied to the Base values, which is important for a couple of ARMs.
>>
Pretty excited for Ryo Kamiya's next game, which for all intents and purposes, except copyright, seems to be the Monster Hunter RPG we have been waiting for so long.
>>
>>50296570
What's it called? It sounds interesting.
>>
>>50296570
Colossal Hunters. Looking forward to it, too.
>>
>>50297028
Is there a release date?
>>
>>50299444
https://plus.google.com/111810242507576225952/posts/GR6nczfTfpk?sfc=true
>>
>>50299486
Thanks.
Seeing all of those people together makes me realize how small the community is
>>
File: 16010729390_5610688c61_k.jpg (2MB, 2048x1365px) Image search: [Google]
16010729390_5610688c61_k.jpg
2MB, 2048x1365px
>>
>>50253364

Is this an inappropriate place for me to ask how I go about pirating TBZ? Because I'd really like to get it for free. I admit I'm scum
>>
>>50301422
This is the official "Printer friendly" version. Book one, posting book two in a little bit.
>>
>>50301422
Here is the full setting.
There is a full pdf with both books, bookmarked and with all the delicious art, but can't upload right now.
The PDF sharing thread OP has a link to it, I'm sure of it.
>>
>>50301592
>>50301622

Thank you very much!
>>
>>50272039
Not with that attitude you can't.
>>
Since we're on the topic of Shinobigami, the first two books are coming out some time soon,but there's at least six other supplements in Japanese. What's in those?
>>
>>50305808
Stuff we're probably not going to get unless Japanese publishing houses suddenly come around to the idea that properly formatted pdfs are not EEEEVIIIILLLL and the fan translation community explodes as a result.
>>
>>50307445
Well you see by putting the books on PDF it makes it easier for the Japanese to pirate it and re-translate it back.
>>
>>50308865
What?
>>
>>50308865
Retranslating a pdf from English to Japanese makes no sense, especially when they have access to the books and could just scan them. Or, buy them, because they're not very expensive and they don't have to pay for international shipping.

What the other guy was talking about was the Japanese publishers not making pdfs in the first place
>>
>>50309171
On top of that the books are 270ish pages, only 40 of which are the actual rules. So if you were Japanese you could just type the rules and distribute them, no pdf required
>>
>>50309171
I thought the context was Jap publishers being hesitant on doing digital releases over physical copies for these translations due to piracy concerns and was making fun of the inane reasoning.
>>
>>50309243
Sarcasm does not work too well with purely written communication.
>>
>>50309276
There's an app for that fampai
>>
I remember reading somewhere that the Ninja clans could have equivalents outside of Japan, like the British Isles having a subdivision of the MI6, the Knights of the Round Table and the Túatha Dé Danann instead of the Hirasaka Agency, the Kurama Shin Clan and the Bloodline of Oni, respectively.

Anyone have more ideas along those lines?
>>
Another heads-up on Giant Allege.

The SA translation is garbage. It left out crucial information that completely changes the entire dynamic of the game.
>>
>>50309697
From the sounds of it, Hasuba could be anything tech-themed. It's cover is being a large corporation, and it's full of mad scientists. Easy enough
>>
>missed out on getting into the Chrisis Heroine game
Fuck
>>
>>50312671
>crisis heroine
>translated
>running
>implying
>>
>>50311045
I'm interested, what's the big change?
>>
>>50312866
https://crisisheroine.miraheze.org/wiki/Main_Page
>>
>>50313834
YOU CRAZY BASTARDS
>>
>>50314112
It's no Zettai Reido
>>
>>50313480
Fights with multiple Alleges/Lawyers.
Unlike what the "translation" implies, not every fight is a duel.
>>
>>50313834
>Someone took my reough translation and made a complete translation wiki project out of it.

Time to do a serious translation?
>>
>>50316269
They did it on a dare the absolute madmen.
>>
Is there a Tokyo Nova scan out?
>>
>>50318829
yes
>>
>>50318829
TN is completely translated, fool.
>>
>>50316182
Daaamn, that is cool. Can you please post your playset here when it's done. I wanna run a one shot of this one day.
>>
>Want to play more games but know that they're not coming any time soon
>Can't even translate because I know no Japanese
Suffering
>>
>>50319220
The answer is easy: learn Japanese.
Or import a couple of books and make good scans of them so people can start translating.
>>
>>50253677
backer also. I need the fucking paper book. I can't read PDFs. Seems like GREAT GAME though.
>>
>>50319309
>I can't read PDFs.
That is an odd problem to have. Why can't you read PDFs?
>>
>>50319035
I've seen bits and pieces in .txt format but not the full game. At any rate, I want scans of the original.
>>
>>50319517
Those bits and pieces are the full game plus some stuff from the first supplement, with the exception of a few images.
>>
What are top five games you'd like to see translated?
>>
>>50320043
Colossal Hunter, Magica Logia, Silver Rain, Novi Novi RPG and... Kamigakari, I guess?
>>
>>50320043

I honestly just want to see the Double Cross books finish getting translated.

Or Re translated as people are quick to point out that the translation we got was kind "meh"
>>
>>50320531
The game itself is very "meh", too.
It is a bit like Exalted 2e in that its mechanics don't really do what you would reasonably expect them to do.
>>
>>50321506
I think the mechanics are interesting, and the "Syndrome" idea is a nice way of justifying classes, in-universe. The book could use some help
>>
>>50323429
Yes, the mechanics are interesting. But they don't work.
>>
>>50323510
Hence me saying "the book could use help". The system could be reworked plenty- From observation alone it appears that Evasion far outpaces guarding because of how little it seems guarding actually does.
>>
>>50323650
As well as some more powers that aren't all just "more dice, more explosions, more damage bonus."

But I know why they exist.
>>
>>50323650
>>50323711
If you say "book", I understand "eveything that isn't the system itself". Because the system consists of several books and the book is just the package the system comes in.

Evasion and Guarding are both useless, because if you invest enough in Evasion to actually be able to dodge the enemies the pre-made beginner scenarios throws at you, your attacks are useless. By investing in Evasion you effectively remove yourself from combat.
Not to mention that defense in general is pointless, because you simply revive as long as you're still below 100 Encroachment. And above that you still have Loises.
There is one single easily discernible best way to build characters. You need to pair up one attacker optimized for throwing around lots of dice with one supporter for adding extra dice and lowering CV to 6. The rest is rocket tag with reviving PCs and non-reviving NPCs.
>>
>>50323896
>If you say "book", I understand "eveything that isn't the system itself". Because the system consists of several books and the book is just the package the system comes in.
You're an odd type, aren't you?
>>
>>50324708
No, I am non-native speaker.
>>
>>50323896

I get what you're saying, and I observed that while testing the system out. I kinda like this part though.

>And above that you still have Loises

Rocket tag combat makes your human bonds your most important resource. Which is a very anime thing to do. Also I liked how fucked up turning loises into tituses is. I played it as a very specific form of either dissociation or amnesia.

Defense really is useless though, and the visuals of the combat will be pretty samey if you don't like the image of the PCs being blown apart each turn and pulling themselves together.
>>
>>50320043
Meikyuu and Kancolle splats.

Actually all the flavor text for Meikyuu is good too
>>
>>50323650

As someone who played a DX game and took maaaaybe 7 points of damage the whole game due to guard stacking, I actually found the opposite to be true.
>>
>>50323896

Did we play in a game together, I remember a part of a game in which CV dunking down to like a 5 resulted in an attack roll breaking into the low hundred range.
>>
>>50320043
Wasn't there a One Way Heroics in one of the last threads?
>>
>>50327367
http://randompunk.blogspot.com/2015/03/meikyuu-kingdom-make-you-kingdom-is.html
>>
>>50327455
Can you post your build? Genuinely interested, I've been trying to build a tank in this system.
>>
>>50328115

Well the trick was, as I was playing a Salamandra who was implicitly the tank build was the get a rank of Ice sword, and start off with 2 of Ice shield, my starting guard was 16, and since he was a pure breed, even though my Concentrate wasn't great, I was able to get Ice shield up to rank 5 meaning that I had a guard stat of 31 within 2 scenarios or so. Yeah Ice shield was 3 encroach per use, but it's better than a 1d10 every round or two by getting knocked the fuck out.
>>
>>50328228
Did you actually contribute to fights or were you just sitting there, not taking any damage and not doing any damage in return?
>>
>>50325775
Except the human bonds aspect of Loises is barely expounded upon in the books.
So much wasted potential there.

>>50327472
Pretty sure we haven't. I had several attack rolls in the low hundred range in the three sessions I played, but none of them were CV 5.
Now, I don't remember all powers, but Concentrate specifies a CV limit of 7 and support powers usually specify a CV limit of 6, so how did you get it down to 5?

>>50327474
Right, forgot about that one. Replace Kamigakari with One Way Heroics, then.
>>
Found another detail. Lawyers do not have to deploy in every in every Trial Scene, once again changing the dynamics of the game.

The bad news:
This is taking a lot longer than expected, because the idiot on SA got so much wrong.

The good news:
At this rate, I'll end up doing an actual full translation. Thankfully, there isn't that much to the book and even though I have to look up a lot of Kanji, the wording seems very clear.
>>
>>50330774
Looking forwards to it.
>>
>>50330774
Looking forward to it anon. Your efforts are appreciated.
>>
>>50330774
I'm hype
>>
>>50327675
>[SIDEBAR] Funeral Rites in the Dungeon

>In general, burial rites involve the priests putting the deceased in an Elevator. While those in attendance pray, the elevator moves at high speed towards either the Sky Floor or the Deep Floor, and then returns. When the Elevator arrives, the doors open with a ding sound, revealing food inside. The food is shared among those who attended and the funeral ends with a banquet in honor of the deceased.

Man, Meikyuu Kingdom is simultaneously whimsical and kinda fucked up. I love it, now I get where Cynical Pop Dungeon Fantasy comes from.
>>
>>50253175
Backed it, nothing left to do at this point except wait.
>>50274753
no, but now I'll never un-see it.
>>
>>50329363

Well On paper the idea was to sit there and not take damage for everyone since you can use your Major action to guard for other teammates, however I ended up quickly taking over as the main damage dealer when half the players dropped off.

Which was a cluster fuck, but hey Disintegrate is great for getting around armor.

Basically Salamandra is bullshit.
>>
>>50327474
http://www.silversecond.net/contents/game/TRPG/Rule.html
>>
>>50329488
>Pretty sure we haven't. I had several attack rolls in the low hundred range in the three sessions I played, but none of them were CV 5.
>Now, I don't remember all powers, but Concentrate specifies a CV limit of 7 and support powers usually specify a CV limit of 6, so how did you get it down to 5?

IIRC Lois Burn and one player using a power which escapes me at the moment to drop my CV another point.
>>
>>50332663
That doesn't seem to be the official one.
>>
>>50332670
Right. Loises have a CV limit of 2. Forgot about that.
>>
>>50333817
There was an official one?
>>
>>50333959
http://katamichitrpg.tumblr.com/
>>
>>50334050
>art by mota

Uh, yeah, want.
So are there any scans of that around?
>>
>>50335052
Of course not.
>>
>>50259442
how is kingdom gameplay?
>>
>>50336637
Bean counting and prep work for the adventure. You can put in a roleplaying heavy prologue before the thing starts however
>>
>>50336637
>do some bookkeeping
>perform action one
>perform action two
>off to the dungeon
>>
>>50336777
>>50336756
and what is the most fun part?
>>
>>50337669
Character creation.
And higher-level play, I guess. But I have yet to run more than two sessions with the same group.
>>
>>50330774
>At this rate, I'll end up doing an actual full translation
Hope I'll be around when that happens
>>
>>50330774
How long will it take to have a playable draft of the rules?
>>
>>50332651
Guarding like that wouldn't even work well against other Salamandra users, one opponent with [Energy Meister III] would get to smack you for a free 9 damage every turn.

And this is ignoring the Syndromes which can simply pierce guarding.
>>
>>50341749
That strongly depends on how motivated/sleep-deprived I am.
Tuesday and Wednesday are sleep deprivation days, but I also made sure I could continue working on it during breaks at the Fachakademie and I have a three-hour break today.

Either way, I'm sure I'll have the actual rules part in a more-or-less neat PDF by the end of the week at the very latest.
>>
>>50253364
I've run it 5 times in the past year.

It's mean for one-shots and so I use it for game nights where not everyone can make it for my regular campaign/people want a break from routine.

VERY fun. Easy to learn, easy to use, but carries a story very well.

I don't use the emotional matrix for players because it gets in the way of roleplaying, but otherwise I have no complaints.

Don't worry about rules complexity, to me this game has the best crunch-to-fluff ratio i've seen in a while.
>>
>>50261223
Been meaning to read up on this for tabletop sim, looks neat.

Speaking of TTS, does anyone have the Nechronica mod for it? Seems to have vanished at some point.
>>
So what's Sword World like?
>>
>>50345304
Man I really wish the classic Japanese RPGs would get translated, if only for the historical value. I feel like much inspiration in other media is derived from their native RPGs but I've never even seen a decent review explaining their features and their impact on Japanese fantasy.
>>
>>50345304
>>50345383
http://swordworld.wikia.com/wiki/Sword_World_Wiki
>>
>>50345509
Thanks anon.
>>
>>50290629
Have more emphasis on what the characters do outside of combat.
Have more skill checks.
Have more emphasis on social challenges and interacting with NPCs in your campaign.
Make the antagonists not one-sided villains and give them believable motivations to commit evil and oppose your players. Make them not evil all the time. Give them humane personality traits and flaws and show it to the players. Allow players to have choices that don't simply involved killing the villains if they put the effort in to be creative.

There, your campaign is thereby more "anime", which usually means people can relate and empathize more with all the people inside it. There is no need for onsen or beach session.
>>
Is there an IRC channel to talk about Japanese games?
>>
>>50348807
I don't know about IRC but there's certainly a discord channel for it
>>
>>50349384
Got any links to?
>>
Giant Allege progress report:

Phase 1: -
Phases 2-3: -
Phases 4-5: transcribed
Allege Creation: -
Lawyer Creation: -
Opposed Rolls: -
Timing Rolls: transcribed
Combat Rules: transcribed
Forms: translated
ARMs: translated
Lawyer Nicknames: translated
>>
>>50349992
Do you think you'll get done sometime today?
>>
>>50351689
No way.
>>
We need more translated Saikoro Fiction games so we can analyze the system and start making homebrew.
>>
>>50345383
It all comes back to Wizardry in the end.
>>
What's playing Ryuutama like anons? Did the travel rules and condition checks add anything to the game? How about the Ryuujin? Did the GM having a character and skills work out?
>>
>>50349509
https://discord.gg/eGpnY6P
>>
Chrisis Heroine progress?
>>
>>50357261
CACTs and Optional Rules still need to be finished, World Setting and Session Flow need to be put into the wiki.
>>
>>50356391
>What's playing Ryuutama like anons?
Comfy.
>Did the travel rules and condition checks add anything to the game?
Yes.
>How about the Ryuujin?
Yes,
>Did the GM having a character and skills work out?
The GM doesn't have a character and skills. The GM has codified ways to influence the game beyond simple rulings.
>>
>>50359204
Sounds rad. Wish I could play. Did the gm use the Ryuujin to bail out the players or did they use it to make the game more exciting by increasing the challenge?
>>
>>50359328
I let the Nekogoblin escape so as to not break the intro scenario.
>>
>>50272226
Technically the first LN was published before the rulebook was, but they were also promoting and public testing the game before the first LN was published. They were planned/developed alongside each other, so you can't really point at one as the inspiration for the other if that's what you wanted to get at.
>>
FUCK
My GM browses here.
She wants to run CH for us. Help.
>>
>>50361889
Ah I see. That anon!
>>
File: 1263275.jpg (139KB, 500x667px) Image search: [Google]
1263275.jpg
139KB, 500x667px
>>50305808
All of the books consist of a replay along with a smattering of new rules and/or just general advice and ideas for running the game.

Book 3 has Enigmas, which are like little curses that hamper players until they are uncovered and removed (usually in the same way as you would learn any other piece of information like a secret). There's also a section on using Boss NPCs, a bunch of random tables, new Ninpo, new Personae for non-ninja PCs (rules for non-Ninjas are in the second book, btw), new enemies.

Book 4 has a bunch of new non-ninpo character options like perks/flaws (or whatever they're called officially in English) and expanded universe information.

Book 5 has rules for making Sengoku-era characters (with new Clans and Ninpo), more non-ninpo character options, and Ritual Ninpo.

Those are the only three books besides the two basic rulebooks I have so it's all I can comment on. I'm really curious about Shinobigami Kai and Ryuu (I think they would be the 6th and 7th books), which involve some sort of outbreak of monsters and ninja demon hunters or some such.
>>
>>50361918
Like, irl?
>>
>>50362339
That's why I am panicking.
>>
>>50362603
Pay a prostitute to give her a good dicking. Alternatively do it yourself
>>
>>50357427
>>50357261
Session Flow is not complete. World Setting is not complete, but close enough. CACTs are the trickiest part as those are the "meat" of the system and are 90% fluff describing what they're for.

Finally, there also needs to be a second, more serious translation of character creation, rolls and combat, and the advancement rules.
>>
>>50362603
As one of the translators, all I can say is: Good luck.
>>
>>50361918
>>50362603
I fail to see the problem.

unless you all make male characters
then it will be a problem, but a hilarious one
>>
>>50363166
The problem is that there's literally 0 support for male characters.

Unless you go out of your way to avoid waist acts and give everyone a free Meat Spear imprint, which would actually weaken them.
>>
>>50362033
Ah, man. I KNOW we're probably not getting all of that later. And they sound pretty interesting as well.

Thanks for the descriptions anyways
>>
>>50363067

>>50362774
Reposting here.
>>
Magicalogia sounds pretty interesting. I might import and stumble through it with my limited Japanese knowledge. Anyone actually played it?
>>
>>50365597
No, but if you buy and scan it, I will translate it.

Well, not the whole thing, but at least the mechanics.

And it will take me a while.

A long while.

But I will do what is necessary.
>>
Giant Allege progress report:

Phase 1: transcribed
Phases 2-3: transcribed
Phases 4-5: transcribed
Allege Creation: transcribed
Lawyer Creation: -
Opposed Rolls: -
Timing Rolls: transcribed
Combat Rules: transcribed
Forms: translated
ARMs: translated
Lawyer Nicknames: translated

I will be able to finish the transcription tomorrow and start actually translating on Friday.
The transcription was the hard part, because I had to look up all the Kanji, but with the help of Rikaikun, the actual translation part will be a breeze.
>>
>>50367294
Man you actually transcribe everything? Hardcore, that's a lot of typing, particularly if you're looking up all the kanji.
>>
>>50367604
I wouldn't have to if I could actually find a working OCR program, but everything I've tried so far makes a complete mess of the PDF.
Besides it's good practice and thanks to the quite manageable size of the book, it doesn't feel like too much of a slog.
>>
>>50367685
Yeah, I've tried similar in the past and they inevitably are kind of garbage. I've gotten by with just typing all the kanji I don't know into a word processor along with how it's written in hiragana, as well as the meaning. Though eventually that blooms up quite a bit, and takes awhile to do...

Anyway, good luck!
>>
>>50367685
I know that feeling, I've been working on and off on Metal Head and the PDF quality is deliberately low enough to make OCR a royal pain in the ass.
>>
>j-thread.
>all this cool j-art.
>image lite
>>
>>50367876
Reminds me of trying to OCR meikyuu and it's italicized text on the cards which is a headache
>>
>>50369071
Hey, we've got about as many images as you usually find in a jttrpg.
We're staying true to source material
>>
>>50369071
We're discussing RPGs, not manga.
>>
File: color_ryuujin.jpg (317KB, 685x524px) Image search: [Google]
color_ryuujin.jpg
317KB, 685x524px
>>50369071
Here, have something from Ryuutama.
>>
Giant Allege transcript done. Translation starts tomorrow.
>>
>>50378052
woo.

Will the translation be PDF or a word doc?
>>
>>50378087
PDF.
I don't trust Open Office not to fuck up the conversion.
>>
We need discussion up in here.
But I guess people would need to play some of this stuff first.
>>
What's the most interesting character you've played in a JTTRPG? I know there's some crazy combinations possible in TBZ.

>>50381575
Discussion would be great, yeah.
>>
>Bombxing: there are enclosures like the ones used in caged deatmatches in small vacant lots located in the alleys, where two men wearing protectors fight each other.
>The crowd surrounding them prove that these are prize fights. The boxers fight wearing conical metal gloves, similar to ball pen caps. A number of large round rivets are fixed to the gloves, from the tip to the middle section, but these are not rivets. They are explosive pellets used in spaceship verniers. Trading blows using these explosive rivets is called "bombxing." Most fights end with with the death of whoever takes an explosive direct hit first.
>>
Does anyone wanna share their experiences playing Double Cross?
I'm into it, but can't play it with my group for a while due to tech issues, so i kinda wanna hear how other people's stuff has gone
>>
>>50384956
Any of my players playing either a rounded or defensive character were left deeply dissatisfied, because they didn't manage to lay a single finger on the enemies in the beginner scenarios or not die to every single one of their attacks.
Both groups had an attacker-supporter combo that proceeded to one- or two-shot the enemies.

The structure of the Investigation scenes felt awkward and nobody had it in them to actually take the story remotely seriously, even just for dramatic purposes.
>>
>>50385900
Wow, that sucks
What would you do as a player, instead of a gm?
>>
>>50386224
Not play Double Cross.
The premise is neat, but the system is fucked.

Though if you're asking me what I would do as a player of Double Cross, I'd make an optimized attack build, getting someone else to be my supporter or vice versa, so we can finish combat before the other players get bored and frustrated.
>>
>>50384873
What's this from?
>>
File: beginning idol.jpg (69KB, 303x500px) Image search: [Google]
beginning idol.jpg
69KB, 303x500px
>>50388232
Definitely sounds like Beginning Idol to me.
>>
>>50388659
>idol RPG
things I didn't know I needed until now
>>
>>50388659
Why have I never heard of this before?
>>
>>50389859
It was at this year's Essen and I've known about it for a while. Just didn't seem all that interesting.
>>
Same anon as >>50384956
Does anyone have a copy on hand?
I figure we could use the tables to roll up random characters
At the very least, it would liven up the thread a tiny bit
>>
>>50392544
I do, but random generation isn't exactly something Double Cross does.
>>
>>50392566
Couldn't hurt to try, just a matter of figuring out the dice
>>
>>50392544

I still had a link to the core book floating around.
>>
>>50392707

Which I forgot to link to....

http://www.mediafire.com/file/51ypum9tgi406v7/Double+Cross.pdf
>>
>>50392601
Andy did come up with a random generation method for it at some point, but I can't find the PDF anymore.
>>
>>50392718
Damn, wish my phone could download this
i have a laptop, but it's busted, so i'm kinda stuck on mobile for an unknown period of time
>>50392777
Ah, cool
And the main benefit of this site, we can use dice that wouldn't normally exist (d13s to determine syndromes, for example)
Also, nice trips
>>
>>50392777
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B1uVoci2ePQKRmQwOUhiX0FtUzA/edit?usp=sharing
You're welcome.
But this is just Syndrome and Type, really
>>
>>50392948
Well, we can either figure out a way to roll for lois/titus, or we can just roll types and syndromes
Either's fine
>>
Rolled 10 (1d10)

>>50392948
Alright, let's see what happens
>>
Rolled 5 (1d12)

>>50394073
And the syndrome
>>
>>50394073
>>50394089
Yeah, not really fun without any personality behind it
Maybe a percentile die for louis/titus rolls?
How many are there, anyway?
>>
>>50289323

Basically, what it is about and how does it play different from the dnd/wod games I am familiar with. Also, if it has some cool bits or pitfalls I should be aware of.
>>
>>50319035
It is? Where? I desperately need this.
>>
>>50394368
It's about relatively ordinary folks going on a Journey and about a Ryuujin collecting their stories to feed to a young dragon.

The Storyteller system and the d20 system are vastly different from each other, so I don't see why you would expect Ryuutama to share any similarities with either of them. It plays completely differently.

As for pitfalls, don't underestimate Technical types.
While a simple bonus to rolls may seem rather boring compared to magic, Concentration can also be fueled by Fumble Points and applied to almost any roll, allowing Technical types to reliably ace any important checks. Unlike Magic types, they don't need to invest in SPI and MP either, making them less squishy in combat.
>>
So to the giant allege guy how goes the translation?
>>
>>50395593
Well enough. You'll have it by Sunday, along with the cards I made for quicker character creation.
>>
>>50395663
Neato
>>
>>50253175

Hey question, I remember a while back that there was a JRPG discord chat, what ever happened to it?
>>
>>50398140
It's still there.
https://discord.gg/eGpnY6P
>>
>>50398219

I apprciate you sir
>>
backed it because Kotodama has always delivered a good time.
>>
>>50253175

Just for giggles I started rolling up a backstory for a DX character.... And I'm pretty sure I rolled up a guy who killed himself over a former lover. Tell me what you all thing?

Origin: Understanding parents - Parent: Dying Wishes, Fear

Experience: Long Hospitalization - Friend: Trust, Anxiety

Experience: First Love - That Special someone: Nostalgia, Threat

Awakening: Death - 18 encroach
Impulse: Self-Mutilation - 16 encroach

I mean fucks sake, his Origin is death, he had an extended stay in a hospital, and he has a former lover who he considers a threat to his well being.
>>
>>50398591
Fuck, that's awful
Poor guy
>>
>>50398964

I know right? I mean I doubt I'll ever get to play the character, but I'm tempted to backstory this for fun to see what I come up with.
>>
>>50399012
I kinda want to hear it
>>
>>50399079

What I got so far

Basicly the back story concept for this so far is that everything was coming up roses for Horace, he was engaged to be married to his childhood sweetheart, till it all went wrong, he had no idea when it started, probably started small, she would show up home late, or she would make some off hand comment, before too long, the mind games were in full force, she'd go out for hours, sometimes even days at a time, would stop returning calls when he was out of the house, questioning, probing him, mocking him. Suddenly before he knew it, she had left, breaking up with him officially breaking up with him a month after she moved out while he was working, Leaving him with nothing, he had to find out through a mutual friend about the man she had started fooling around with on the side for months before she made it official.

It left him broken, fragile, In bad shape, friends stopped leaving him alone, it was 9 years of his life lost to another man's bed, he raged, he hated, he despaired. He turned to heavy drinking to cope, and eventually that stopped working.

He gave up.

Walking with his best friend home from the store one day, he made a choice. He asked his friend one question.

"Hey you got your phone on you right?"

His friend responded with a simple "Yeah of course I do why?"

His last words were "Just making sure" before he stepped into the street into the path of the mass transit bus that was passing by. He wouldn't even know if he lived or died…

Not until 2 months later when he woke up.
>>
>>50399118
Calling it now, he just throws himself into combat full bore, trying to re-kill himself in the process
For extra irony, make him as tanky and survivable as possible
>>
>>50399356

He's probbly make a decent Chimera, I'm also feeling the idea he lost the use of one of his eyes permanatanly on account of going face first into a bus grille, and probbly has a hell of a limp outside of combat.

I mean You don't just walk away from something like that without some losing something.
>>
>>50399426
A lame dog, how appropriate
>>
>>50399118
>>50399426
PCs are supposed to have some reason not to go full Gjaum.
This guy is just a FH grunt in the making.
>>
Any ideas for speeding up Ryuutama character creation for convention games?

I've thought of making two stat spreads for each of the four beginner classes and two spell lists for each season.
That way you could just pick one of eight character sheets, add in a type and if necessary, pick one of eight spell lists.
I'm just not sure about the details of each stat spread and spell list.
>>
File: B09fucH.png (718KB, 835x612px) Image search: [Google]
B09fucH.png
718KB, 835x612px
Even while decking, forget about bikini armor.
>>
Rolled 2, 8 = 10 (2d12)

>>50392948
>>
Rolled 1 (1d12)

>>50404980
Second Syndrome.
>>
>>50404980
>>50405515
Hanuman/Angel Halo Crossbreed

Awakening Chart: Experimentation
Impulse Chart: Slaughter

Orgin Chart: Political Power (Father)
>Protection (You want to protect them)
>Alienation (Something about them makes you feel alone)

Experience- Student: Trauma (Lois: Mother)
>Dying Wishes (Something about them reminds you of someone who passed away)
>Remorse (Reminds you of a regretful past)

Benefactor: Therese Blum (You feel indebted to this person)
>Idolization (You wish to get closer to the person)
>Anxiety (Something about this person makes you want to protect them)

All I could think up was some semi-traumatic backstory involving being the child of a major politician, being "kidnapped" by FH for experimentation and becoming an overed after, and being rescued by the UGN and waifuing Therese Blum afterwards.

Is that anime enough?
>>
>>50406033
Pretty fucking anime yeah. I'm stealing the emotions table and background table from this and Grancrest with the next system I play. Using em makes the game feel instantly more anime.
>>
>>50406033
Play it like Ikari Shinji.
>>
what is the japanese dnd?
>>
>>50406951
Sword World.
>>
>>50407007
link to pdf?
>>
>>50406033
>Impulse Chart: Slaughter
>Experience- Student: Trauma (Lois: Mother)
>>Dying Wishes (Something about them reminds you of someone who passed away)
>>Remorse (Reminds you of a regretful past)
I'm fairly certain your character slaughtered their own mother, leading to distance from the father.
>>
>>50407071

Yeah That's one way of looking at it.

I'm becoming increasingly convinced that it's impossible to make a DX character that doesn't have issues of some kind.
>>
>>50407038
There's a translation wiki here: >>50345509

Alternative, if you're just looking for a good fantasy adventure RPG, and not the literal first RPG of Japan, then I'd recommend Ryuutama. You can probably find it in the share thread archive PDF.
>>
So is Ryuutama the best jttrpg?
>>
>>50407144
I still gotta play Meikyuu Kingdom and Arianhrod before I'll make that statement.
>>
>>50407168
is Arianhrod translated?
>>
>>50407208
Don't think so. Unfortunately I'm a monolinguistic fucktard, so I can't even begin to try reading the moon language version of the book.

Meikyuu Kingdom is being translated, and looks pretty good. I'ma wait until it's damn near finished before I bring it to my playgroup though. Their eyes gloss over anytime I bring them a game that is roughly written.
>>
>>50406951
The SRS system.

>>50407093
>it's impossible to make a DX character that doesn't have issues of some kind
Well, duh. Being infected with a psychoactive virus that constantly threatens to consume your mind and body and being forced to fight terrorists all the time (or becoming one instead) constitutes some very serious issues.

>>50407144
Determining any one RPG as "the best" is a rather asinine endeavor.
But as far as beginner-friendly feelgood fantasy RPGs go, Ryuutama is hard to beat.

>>50407257
Arianrhod is regular SRS fare, so probably garbage.

And MYK is not being translated, because it's apparently still in communication breakdown hell.
>>
>>50407870
is there a translated SRS system pdf?
>>
>>50407870
Wouldn't SRS be Japan's d20, rather?
>>
Has DX done anything about the ridiculous pure-breed Neumann multiweapon damage? Or any houserules?
>>
>>50407920
I've seen one floating around, but it's not a full game. It's just a set of instructions for making your own game with a completely unfitting system.

>>50408035
Well, yes.
But I view D&D mainly as an undeservedly popular blight on the RPG market and SRS fills that niche perfectly.

>>50408088
Wielding multiple weapons as a Neumann Overed is by far not the most broken thing in DX.
No point in houseruling, because you'd need to rewrite the system from scratch to fix it.
>>
>>50408143
Can you explain the other things? I thought a Full-blooded t-lois Neumann actually was the worst offender.
>>
>>50404042
>That gigantic thing
I don't think it had anything to do with bikini armor, dude.
>>
>>50408143
>>50408088
Please respond. I want to know more about DX.
>>
>>50408208
See >>50323896 and >>50325775
>>
>>50408208
To elaborate a bit more, the entire system is broken from the ground up.
It acts as if HP meant anything when Encroachment is your actual survival stat.

The enemies in the beginner scenarios are more than capable of killing you once every round. Since combat is intended to last for three rounds, that's 3d10, i.e. an average of 16.5 Encroachment you take from dying.
If we take the Salamander build posted in the thread, that's 1*3 Encroachment from Ice and Fire Sword and 3*3 Encroachment from Ice Shield = 12 Encroachment invested in not suffering any more Encroachment without doing anything to remove the source of the Encroachment.
>>
>>50407870
>The SRS system.
I always thought SRS was the GURPS of Japan, and Sword World was D&D (since the latter came first and is a chart-heavy RPG, and the former was a universal system at birth that started out as a light rip-off of the latter).
>>
>>50410698
No. SRS is just a framework that produces garbage unless you significantly deviate from it and Sword World isn't a blight on the RPG market.
>>
>>50410698
>>50410698
SRS lost any claim to being the Japanese GURPS when it tied it's character stats to classes.

I don't hate the system mind you, I just think that in order for it to work you have to only really look at "smash classes together to make a character" and fine tune everything else to match your tone and idea.

I really should try and homebrew something in SRS. If this thread is still up later tonight I will dump the core rules. On mobile right now.
>>
>>50410617
How about a flat damage reduction build, using T-Loises like Full Cyborg (Advanced Rulebook) and Living Dead (Infinity Code) alongside Cover powers (Black Dog's Magnetic Force, Chimera's Mars' Defense, Exile's Unyielding Flock, Morpheus's Sand Barrier, Salamandra's Fire formation) to tank for allies? Black Dog, which you need for for Full Cyborg, has some useful offensive support powers, as well.

Guard powers seem to be efficient in terms of the encroachment to HP ratio, but there are also damage reduction powers like Salamandra's Ice Citadel if you're worried about guard-piercing hits.

Granted, I haven't played the game yet, but that's why I'm asking.
>>
>>50412323
That's not my point. The system was written without the author understanding the implications of its mechanics. This means it's full of trap options.
Guard and evasion powers invariably self-inflict Encroachment without actually contributing to the fight. Covering allies is pointless, too, because you save everyone from more Encroachment by either attacking or boosting an attacker so you can end the battle one turn earlier.
>>
>>50414502
Cover powers and Guard powers take no actions. Your main action and possibly some auto effects as well are still boosting your allies.
>>
>>50414516
It's not about action economy, it's about Encroachment, your "my character is toast if this gets too high"-stat.
Any defensive powers you use drive up the stat that that you're trying to keep low without doing anything at all about the reason that stat is going up.
And because combining attack powers gives exponential returns, wasting your XP on defensive powers reduces your ability to remove the source the Encroachment.
>>
>>50407870
Out of everything I've read (Maid, TBZ, MYK, DX, TNOVA, LH, Night Wizard, Shinobigami, Shipslut RPG) Ryuutama is probably the most well put together and cohesive mechanical system with the least weird or broken bits.

The Saikoro Fiction system in the Shipslut RPG was pretty good for a rules-light though.
>>
>>50414634
Note the two T-loises I mentioned, together, passively reduce all incoming damage by about 20 total before Guard and Armor kick in.

It was brought up earlier that a character in charge of adding dice to the attacker was viable, which is what I assumed a defensive character would do. This shouldn't take as much power investment as a full attacker.

It was also brought up that Resurrect is what keeps characters alive. I take this to mean if you can avoid having to use Resurrect, you can reduce Encroachment. That's what damage reduction attempts to do.

Unless significant overkill occurs every time, damage reduction should still use up less Encroachment than Resurrect.
>>
File: sb-skills - Copy.png (211KB, 902x572px) Image search: [Google]
sb-skills - Copy.png
211KB, 902x572px
>>50414798
Speaking of Saikoro fiction, I need some general advice.

If I had to make a roll for Illusion, and I was using Bluff for it, then is the difficulty for the roll 9? That'd be the default difficulty of 5 plus the 4 spaces it takes to get there.

In this case would I count Willpower, The Space between, then Binding, and Kotodama? Or am I misinterpreting it?
>>
>>50415228
It would be a difficulty of 10.
5 is what you'd need on bluff. Willpower, Gap, Binding, Kotodama, AND one more for Illusion.

If you defaulted from Curse, for example, it would be a target of 9 (it sounds somewhat elementary, but counting one up from 5 every time you jump a space helps ingrain it pretty well). It's not the number of spaces between, but the number of steps it takes to get to the skill you're using.
>>
So Here's the SRS core rulebook. Like it's been said this is a barebones look at the base rules.
>>
>>50415291
Ah, so you count the square itself as well then. Thanks a lot.

>>50415377
So excuse me for asking, but what games out there use SRS?
>>
>>50414798
TBZ at least has a skeleton that isn't identical to like 8 of them, but yes. Ryutama is actually extremely well put together.
>>
>>50415423
Night wizards, Grancrest, Alshard, Monotone Museum, Double Cross, Sword World
>>
>>50415423
>what games out there use SRS?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_RPG_System#Games_that_use_SRS
And probably a shitload more, given that it's available under its own OGL.
>>
>>50415423
>So excuse me for asking, but what games out there use SRS?

A wikipedia search brings up these games

Alshard ff
Alshard Gaia
Tenra War
Kaze no Stigma RPG
Shinkyoku Sōkai Polyphonica RPG
Trinity x Venus SRS
Magician's Academy RPG
Tenka Ryoran RPG
Sekaiju no Meikyu SRS (etrian Odyssey)
Monotone Museum
Alshard Savior RPG
Metallic Guardian RPG
Twilight Gunsmoke
Full Metal Panic! RPG
The Age of the Galaxy

You can also see the design principles from this system in Double Cross, Tokyo Nova, and Night WIzards although those are all listed as separate systems.
>>
>>50415496
Well that's informative. I almost wonder if it'd be possible to rebuild Double Cross to be not as broken, combat-wise.
But that'd be a lot of work for little payoff

It's a shame because I like the setting and the game seems really interesting
>>
>>50415496
Neither Grancrest, Double Cross, nor Sword World are SRS games.

inb4 you're that "you have classes and roll dice they're all the same thing" guy
>>
>>50415623
Double Cross isn't SRS, but the power structure is severely reminiscent of it to the point of how Mutants and Masterminds is d20.

Actually, I'd say DX has more in relation to SRS than MnM has to d20.
>>
>>50415623
Yeah, that style of character creation seems to be the norm with a lot of japanese systems I see. It's kind of interesting because I usually don't go for class systems but this way excites me.
>>
So what I'm getting from this discussion is, a lot of Japanese roleplaying games have mediocre/uninspired systems but have great settings? Once you've read one, you've kinda read them all.
>>
>>50415708
Well, Japanese Roleplaying games suffer from something like when 3.5 DnD was in town except amplified tenfold. SRS and SRS inspired games are the norm from which others deviate from.
>>
>>50415708
The Japanese don't have time to lean new systems.
>>
>>50415986
That's fairly true- Most of the games are built around one-shots due to time constraints. A fair amount of chaos thrown in due to the ROC systems at times.
>>
>>50416082
It's a good mindset, really. When was the last time you played a full RPG campaign?
>>
>>50416165
I don't know if I'd be comfortable with getting given a script, though, which is apparently something that happens.
>>
>>50407870
>>50407093
It's not that hard to make a character without serious problems.

>ORIGIN: Investor - Father
>>EMOTION POSITIVE: Idolization
>>EMOTION NEGATIVE: Favoritism
>EXP. ADULT: Blank Time - Mother
>>EMOTION POSITIVE: Love
>>EMOTION NEGATIVE: Inferiority
>AWAKENING: Yearning
>IMPULSE: Hunger

A girl from a ludicrously wealthy family whose never worked a day in her life, carried by the huge bank account of her father she just lazes about or travels with her mother. She wasn't content with being the mere 1% however and her desire for more money and attention awoke the virus within her. This has done nothing to fill her endless greed however and she now hungers for greater glories.
>>
>>50414926
>Note the two T-loises I mentioned, together, passively reduce all incoming damage by about 20 total before Guard and Armor kick in.
Note that you cannot have two T-Loises.

>It was brought up earlier that a character in charge of adding dice to the attacker was viable, which is what I assumed a defensive character would do. This shouldn't take as much power investment as a full attacker.
Specialization is king. A defender does not support and a supporter does not defend.
Since supporters boost attacks and attacks benefit exponentially from power investment, taking defensive powers is detrimental. And a defensive character needs all 4 powers to cover and not die, so no support there.

>It was also brought up that Resurrect is what keeps characters alive. I take this to mean if you can avoid having to use Resurrect, you can reduce Encroachment. That's what damage reduction attempts to do.
Only by using roughly the same amount of Encroachment while still having a signficant chance of dying to a good roll.

>Unless significant overkill occurs every time, damage reduction should still use up less Encroachment than Resurrect.
Judging from how the beginner scenarios played out multiple times, significant overkill occurs most of the time.

And just because you can come up with a very specific build in 3.5 that makes a Fighter not entirely useless, doesn't mean martials as a whole aren't completely fucked in that system.
>>
>>50415623
Grancrest and Double Cross are based off of the SRS.

Double Cross managed to mess up even worse, while I hear that Grancrest has somewhat overcome the weaknesses of the system.

Of course, Tokyo Nova is very clearly a SRS game, even if it's not called one, but it made such ingenious use of the framework, replacing bits where necessary, that it resulted in something truly beautiful.

>>50415708
That is definitely not true. The samey ones are the equivalent of our many d20 systems that everyone and their dog keep shitting out.

>>50416179
Calling it a script makes it sound more restrictive than it is. That said, it is very much a "the journey is the reward"-type of thing.
Having a set progression helps keep session length in check while ensuring that the group reaches a proper conclusion and that the GM doesn't have as much workload preparing unused contingencies. And while the players cannot change the destination, there is still plenty of self-expression and choice to be had on the way there.
>>
>>50416559
>Note that you cannot have two T-Loises.
Actually, this is just a recommendation. Advanced Rulebook's Successor T-Lois even says you can acquire the Trait Lois again for another Skill.

>Specialization is king
What kind of exp levels are we talking about? It seems like having more options eventually becomes better than having less, when you've filled out your basic upgrades.

>roughly the same amount of Encroachment
For Resurrect, 5.5 per hit, according to the average for a d10. With damage reduction activated, a single Cover skill would just be 2 Encroachment.

>significant overkill occurs most of the time
Despite how HP seems to be largely useless in most games, it's still there. Damage reduction makes very efficient use of HP, since it won't go down nearly as quickly to the point where you have to Resurrect. Defending for other players should also give them more room to use powers with their encroachments, which is a type of support on its own.
>>
New thread: >>50417225
>>
>>50290629

Depends on what you mean by anime.

But for the love of God, don't try and emulate comedy anime unless the players are already the sort of horrible people you'd find in that sort of comedy.
>>
>>50319295
>Learn Japanese
That's practically impossible if you don't move to Japan and get some experience, though. It's a very difficult and overly-complicated language.
Thread posts: 319
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.