[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hero System Champions

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 8

File: herosystem.jpg (11KB, 160x247px) Image search: [Google]
herosystem.jpg
11KB, 160x247px
what are some ideas for my super-powered campaign

taking heroes,villains and adventure ideas
>>
fight a global corporation, like shadowrun tier but less bleak, besides that, any tips for playing the HERO system?
>>
Might help to tell us what you got in mind thus far first, Super Heroes is such a varried genre afterall, everything from grimdark Iron Age antiheroes, to light hearted silver age silliness.

In general though you can always go the classic Champions Route and grab a hero or villian you like from actual comics and just file the serial numbers off.
>>
>>50244870
for hero system i would say pay close attention to the rules, and if you are new to the system keep your powers simple until you understand how to go through combat sequences
>>
>>50244870
get a dice roller app

not even being snide here, rolling 12 dice for every attack's damage, counting them up for the Stun then also counting the 6's and 1's for the Body damage can slow things to a crawl otherwise.
>>
File: Halloween_1920x1080.jpg (980KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Halloween_1920x1080.jpg
980KB, 1920x1080px
>>50244870
I'd say also make sure everyone's on the same page moraly speaking, lest you end up with Murderman in the middle of a group of heroes with strict Codes vs. Killing, or vice versa, unless your group likes that kind of intra-party conflict
>>
>>50244936
>>50244918
>>50245029
Thanks all, I'm trying to find a new system instead if DnD for my group, any tips specifically DMing wise besides the dice roller?
>>
File: 3340912-foxbat.jpg (255KB, 1680x1200px) Image search: [Google]
3340912-foxbat.jpg
255KB, 1680x1200px
>>50245149
I'd say to make the first session be JUST making your dudes and setting down everyone's expectations. Unlike games like D&D or other games you can't just have the party throw together a generic fighter, theif, mage, and priest 4 pack and call it good.

One thing in particular, make sure to check everyone's combat values and defense points to be sure they're not going to be either unhittable monsters, or tissue paper.

Also if they don't have much Resistant Defense be careful about throwing killing attacks around, those go straight through normal defense
>>
File: hummingbird_zpsf133a2f9.jpg (34KB, 414x547px) Image search: [Google]
hummingbird_zpsf133a2f9.jpg
34KB, 414x547px
>>50245253
speaking of Resistant Defense, it's worth noting that the game seems to be writen with the intent that the GM will be a little lax in what counts as bulletproof armor, case in point, take Hummingbird here from one of the offical villian books, she's apparently wearing a 6 PD/6ED "armored costume". That's about as much defensive resitance as a policeman's bulletproof vest.
>>
>>50245149
I'd recomend you don't give random namless mooks their recoveries, combat has a habit of dragging on sometimes and having the random henchmen constantly be waking up and rejoining the fight will only add to it.
>>
Well, I've been thinking that villains are usually too simple, powers-wise. Their plans might be clever and complex, but the heroes always know he has magnetic powers, or super strength or whatever.

Why not hiding the nature of the powers a bit?

Let's say.. a villain with time-control powers might look like he has superspeed at first, and it would take some reasoning to the heroes to understand the nature of his powers, or maybe just an unpleasant surprise.
>>
File: 1420369522072.jpg (109KB, 636x965px) Image search: [Google]
1420369522072.jpg
109KB, 636x965px
>>50245253

I've run a few Champions games, there are a few things you need to nail down before you start.

Setting and Feel: Is this a four color golden age romp or a gritty Daredevil kind of deal? Maybe your players want an X-Men vibe, or Thunderbolts, or whatever. Figure that out first, Frank Castle and the Superfriends doesn't work well.

Power Level: 400 points is pretty standard, 300 for street level or young X-Men. Higher power means bigger threats, adjust the scope of the story to match the heroes.

Red Flags: There are a number of ways to break the system, and a few builds that suck the fun out. Jacking up DCV, Hardened Resistant Defense, or Speed can be miserable. I usually hardcap Speed at six, unless the character is a speedster.

New players can overlook some serious stuff in character building. Try to make sure they have resistant defense and flash defense of some kind. Encourage a travel power or vehicle, taking a taxi sucks. New players can have trouble with the idea of complications, using comic examples works well. Superman's Kyrptonite weakness (Susceptibility) Batman's secret Identity, Iron Man's drinking problem, that sort of thing.
>>
>>50245389
that would probaly work really well in Hero System given how it cares more about -what- a power does more than -how- it does it.

Speaking of which, don't be afraid to make or allow some seeminly odd power choices, for example the books sometimes build speedster charcters by giving them the Flight power, but with the power limitation "must be in contact with a surface". What that does is simplify things by making it so the speedster can run up walls or across water without needing to buy and keep track of seperate powers for those.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.