[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Grappling vs. Latching

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: Tordeismok.jpg (89KB, 728x921px) Image search: [Google]
Tordeismok.jpg
89KB, 728x921px
Long story short, I'm designing a game, and I'm examining the grappling rules.

Classically, large characters were the best grapplers since they are large and in charge. As for smaller characters, they can't do so much in terms of actually wrestling a foe down.

So I've hit upon the idea that if a creature is significantly larger than the grappler, then the grappler can Latch onto the creature instead (That is, hang on to the creature like they are climbing them)

My question is, what are some actions that a Latching person can do to the creature they are latched on to?

As for Grappling (Which is physically wrestling and controlling movements), I have that they can do things like pin the foe down, drag them on the ground, or even pick them up to throw them like a projectile or even use them as an improvised club.

But what about Latching? What makes Latching onto a foe distinct from Grappling? I don't want it to simply be a lesser form of grappling either, as I want it to be distinct from Grappling so that one has incentive to make both Large or Small grapplers/brawlers.
>>
>>50230305
Latching would be about disrupting movement or actions instead of control. While latching you can attack and pierce specific limbs on the body, interrumpting the use of those limbs, or disrupting the senses/gaining the atention of the latched victim for others to make a succesfull attack or retreat. How about planting explosives on an inflicting wound? Stabing and poisoning the wound? cuting eyes, pouring some hazardous liquid on eyes or ears? Mayeb even cutting a tendon or damaging a specific muscle by piercing some part.
>>
>>50230698

New question, how can I make one prefer Disruption and "surgical strikes" over outright control of the foe, and vice versa?

What are some situations where I would want to instead disrupt the giant's movements and do specific striking rather than outright control the giant's movements for example?
>>
File: 1479023428536.png (143KB, 210x300px) Image search: [Google]
1479023428536.png
143KB, 210x300px
>>50230783
Because its really pretensious of a normal sized creature to think he can control a thing like a giant lizard or a giant. I think it has more to do with story telling and realism. Tell me, how would YOU controll a giants movement, even as a half orc, or dragonborn (big strong guy)? Its not like you can stab him or laso him and ride him like a horse.
>>
>>50230783

Latching implies that you dont have the strenght to control or hold a beast, because if you do then it would be grapling. Latching, as you mention, would be completely about trying to gain some kind of control over what the beast is doing by bothering, distracting or disrupting. But since you lack the strengh, the control is more of a disrupt and it would go well with a random event table. As in: You pass your rolls or have enough points in the skill latch on a creature. You roll to climb or climb and atach a hool or sword to the elbow or leg and stab continiously to thro the creature off balance or to bother him enough to disrupt his slash attack/grab attack on a friend. Roll and check the table for the unpredictable movement... as in takes a step in a specific direction, shakes leg (forcing you to make a rol to mantain latching) kicks in a random directopn, or waves hand/paw in the same manner hitting a friend/ foe or making you fall taking X amount of damage
:).
>>
>>50230811

I don't know, but I'm sure a strong enough, or at least a flexible enough character can take down a giant if they're not too significantly bigger than the character, or at least latch and hold on despite resistance from said giant or giant lizard if the grappler is too small to control their movements.

My goal here is to ensure incentive for both small, medium, and large sized brawler characters to all be equally viable options without taking the cop-out route of stating that size doesn't matter.

I'm eschewing realism to a point in order to make game options more viable, but I do want the actions to make sense whether or not it is "realistic"
>>
>>50230811
>>50230860
>>50230698
> its me, the same person btw. :) I like the thread.
>>
>>50230868

Well I asumed you are talking about huge beasts because you mentioned a giant and the dragon is on the picture. But you are right. You could latch on a minotaurs back holding the neck and stab an arm to control it while being a normal to tall strong human or ride it and do as I mention with surgical strikes and disrupting movement as a dwarf/halfling. Size and stenght vs size and strenght. Just so that you dont end up with a level 20 barbarian being able to latch and control a colossal red dragons leg or arm because of good rolls.
>>
>>50230860

If I'm getting you correctly...

Latching becomes a sort of Support form of grappling, while Grappling is the Control form of it.

While you Grapple, attacking the grappled foe is always going to be tricky from the outside, but while you Latch on, you can assist your friends from the outside who are attacking the foe without them worrying about striking you so much, and can instead be a more incredible headache for your giant foe than if you weren't?
>>
>>50230922

I belive that would be realistic. Depending on what you say : size and strenght vs size and strenght. But I thing gapling would be dangerous if the gap between the monsters strenght and the character is too much, as in bareley in control and the attacker does not have mastery over weapons. As in human holding an orc from behind and dwarf attacking it from front. It would then deppend on the tipe of weapon, how it pierces or slashes the foe and how the foe rolls against the grappling movement. As you mention, latching would be an annoyance and a distraction letting other people take advantage. Latching can also lead to a crippling and killing blow. I think it sounds really cool and realistic, but strenght, dex would play a big rol on being able to do that.
>>
>>50230953

Then as far as I can see right now, we now have incentive for both Latching and Grappling, and my question has been answered.

Thank you very much anon!

If you or anyone else has anything to add or question, I'm all eyes.
>>
File: 1470104990154.jpg (100KB, 736x882px) Image search: [Google]
1470104990154.jpg
100KB, 736x882px
>>50230922
Also, you count transition latching to control if you for example stab and hook ( with a piercing weapon that has a rope or chain attacked to it) to another limb, a tree or hammer down that chain or rope to the floor or a stone. The posibilities are endles. Google Dragons Dogma climbing videos for inspiration. Ive thought about this kind of mecanic for a long time since I like throwing creatures well above the challenge rating of my players just to make them feel like they are not special snowflakes. Not everything can be gought, there are countless ways of approaching a strong enemy. This works to confuse and escape from a creature or to take a high risk and try to kill it. Could work well with the so called hero points for the extra roll boost to give low level players a chance like if they planed the movement well and not leave it to pure roll and luck.
>>
>>50230973
Awesome! Hope you you and your party have fun implementing this to your games!
>>
>>50230979

>Google Dragons Dogma climbing videos for inspiration.

I'll do that!

Indeed the possibilities are many, and I will need to define the functions rather broadly as a result.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.