[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

BOARD GAMES GENERAL

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 327
Thread images: 41

File: Board Games.jpg (502KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
Board Games.jpg
502KB, 900x900px
/bgg/ - Board Games General - Minis Edition

Previous thread:
>>50176267

Resources (reviewers, /tg/ groups, good online vendors, game accessories)
http://pastebin.com/NA2W929q

What's your favorite game that uses an (almost) unreasonable amount of minis?

What have you played recently?

What's your opinion on Kickstarter regarding our hobby?

What's your favorite game of 2016?

What games are at the top of your withlist?
>>
File: fuckyeahson.jpg (246KB, 930x530px) Image search: [Google]
fuckyeahson.jpg
246KB, 930x530px
>>50226743
fisrts post, best post
>>
File: 54674565656564.jpg (415KB, 680x900px) Image search: [Google]
54674565656564.jpg
415KB, 680x900px
>>50226824
Man I'm so torn on this. I never had a mini game and there are two on Kickstarter right now and I'm not sure which one to get and what sucks most is that The Edge campaign will be over in a few hours.

Help me guys! Which one? The Edge: Dawnfall or Mythic Battles: Pantheon?

Which one has better mini combat? I totally depend on your guys' recommendation. I never owned or even played a mini fighting game and both these look really awesome both in terms of visuals and gameplay. Which one should I go for? I really can't decide alone.
>>
>>50226894
Late pledge for The Gods War. Stephensen is the only one making games chock fulla minis for love rather than using them to gloss over weak gameplay.
>>
>>50226904
lol Petersen sorry
>>
>>50226904
That one didn't really speak to me.
>>
>>50226904
Also, why do you say that other mini games have weak gameplay?
>>
>>50226962
Because they stray from the venerable CitOW PBUI
>>
>>50226894
I wouldn't go for The Edge because of the terrible combat mechanics.
I thought about backing it because it looked really good but after tons of research I came to the conclusion that the gameplay itself is rather lacking. Everything is pretty dull and superficial sadly.
>>
>>50226824
+1 for this
>>
Did anyone else buy into Deep Madness?
>>
>>50227221
>>50226894
Ended up getting the The Edge, Warchest. I am not a huge fan of the setting of Mythic Battles: Pantheon and honestly despite what some anons say i think the combat is pretty interesting for the Edge.
>>
>>50227237
>i think the combat is pretty interesting for the Edge.

Can you explain why? I just watched a demo game on Youtube and combat has pretty much zero decision making. You roll a d6 and add values together. I don't see the appeal.
>>
>>50227221
I was so close to backing it but ended up deciding against it.
>>
>>50227290
>pretty much zero decision making
Clearly you didn't read up the rules and watched the entire video. You have to decide when to use your special abilities at the right time and manage your resources correctly in combat. Let alone there is a whole meta game with the out of combat map + scenarios with different paths to spice up the campaign.

Anon just because you don't have friends to play the game with doesn't mean other anons dont.
>>
File: image.jpg (56KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
56KB, 300x300px
More of boxed game question...
I was thinking about getting pict related - rise of the runelords- to play solo, but is it even a compelling game? I watch some YouTube, but as usual without knowing too much about the system the video was confusing.

Do people play solo to level up characters so they can play with others? There's also 500 cards damn, does it get overwhelming?

I'm looking for fun, quick (30mins - 1hr) games which give me a sense of adventure and progression.

Is this right for me?

Other games I've played that are card based are Space hulk death angel, and I'm about to start the warhammer adventure card game as well.

/pfg/ did not notice me.
>>
>>50226743
>recent games
I played Kemet, Dragon Rage and Zombies!! over the weekend. five-player session of Kemet was a blast, retrieved Dragon Rage in the mail last week and was pleasantly surprised with how easy it was to pick up the rules for an early 80s hex-and-counter wargame, I totally fucked up as the invaders with the first scenario where you play as two dragons and landed in the city way too early, Zombies!! was a friend's copy and it's not something I would ever own because >zombie theme

>kickstarter
KS exclusives can fuck off, I've only backed one KS at this point and that's Dungeon Degenerates. will do a late pledge for Glorantha: The Gods War and I'm waiting for the Kingdom Thicc reprint KS

>current year
I'm extremely hesitant with cult of the new, the only game that came out this year that I have bought so far was Ferox, and that game is stupidly fun mixed with an incredibly lulzy theme. I played Codenames Pictures and also enjoyed that, will pick up a copy for myself soon

>wishlist
Zimby Mojo, Cave Evil: Warcults, Space Empires: 4X
>>
>>50227237
I really thought about this but I was more into the Co-opness DM offered. I haven't really looked at any gameplay vids because all the ones i found were terrible quality. Ace models though.
>>
>>50227368
I sadly missed the campaign for this and probably will pick it up at a local store since I know they tend to pledge for the retail versions of these type of games. I love sci-fi settings
>>
>>50227221

Yerp. Really love that the Isaac mini made it in.

Between madness, the edge, dark souls, and the upcoming KDM Kickstarter, decided to drop the edge. At the end of the day its just at a miniature wargame, already got a ton of those i don't play
>>
>>50227419
>KDM
? explain anon. I love buying miniature boardgames..
>>
>>50227323
The combat cards and superficial resource management are just window dressing.

>Anon just because you don't have friends to play the game with doesn't mean other anons dont.
Not sure what you mean by that. I don't have friends because I don't like The Edge?
>>
>>50227442
Anon some people like war games, some people don't. Just deal with it already.
>>
>>50227431

Kingdom Death Monster

Basically a game about surviving as a community on a nightmare world.

Fuck all expensive. Miniatures IMHO are overrated a bit. Some of the designs look pulled from some dudes wank dreams.

The system is fairly neat, and the designs are neat when they aren't dick monsters
>>
>>50227455
The Edge isn't a war game.
>>
>>50226743
>What's your favorite game that uses an (almost) unreasonable amount of minis?
Mechs Vs Minions. Just started playing it, really fun.
>What have you played recently?
Mechs vs Minions and Onitama. Mansions of Madness finally resumes on Monday for my group after a 3 week hiatus.
>What's your opinion on Kickstarter regarding our hobby?
It produces 1 decent game for every 10 bad ones, but honestly that's average for the whole industry. We've gotten good games from it and that's all that matters. Kickstarter exclusives suck though. Dark Souls was the most successful boardgame Kickstarter and it didn't need a single exclusive. I don't feel like it's an incentive that really helps all that much.
>What's your favorite game of 2016?
Mansions of Madness for me. I've gotten so many great stories out of it and we've only done 2 stories. Innsmouth especially, splitting up into 2 groups on the streets leading to 2 of us barracaded in a church that ended up on fire while 2 others try to solve the mystery and one of us is in a mad fight for his life against 3 monsters.
>What games are at the top of your withlist?
Fury of Dracula and Millennium Blades.
>>
>>50226743
should have called it Shill's edition OP.
>>
The Duke, Dead of Winter: The Long Night

Opens the door for many games that would other wise never see a release. KS exclusives are annoying but in the end KS is still a good thing imo.

Haven't played many games that were released this year but I had the most fun with Secret Hitler.

>What games are at the top of your wishlist?
In no particular order:
Dominant Species
Mare Nostrum: Empires
Mythic Battles: Pantheon
Santorini
The Voyages of Marco Polo
Quantum
>>
File: image.jpg (150KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
150KB, 640x480px
>>50226894
Why does this game totally remind me of heroscape. Something about the combat and the hexes.

Anyone feel the same? There's just something about these crazy constructions people make.
>>
>>50227673
>Heroscape

Reprint when?
>>
File: g9xIMh1qia2dho2_1280.jpg (72KB, 960x432px) Image search: [Google]
g9xIMh1qia2dho2_1280.jpg
72KB, 960x432px
>>50227684
Already there
>>
>>50227711
Got a chuckle out of me mate.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 2592x1936px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 2592x1936px
>>50227684
Reprints available on eBay. But really the base set can be had for pretty cheap, once you get to the castle, the d&d and especially the jungle set and the bridge for some reason get wayyyyyyy over priced.

I use the tiles as the base for my gaming table and made little "ponds" on each side as dice trays or mini graveyards, if you flip the hexes over you can use them as shallow trays to hold dice and tokens in their own 3 hex or 2 hex piece.

I also set the spacing so I can fit a 3x3 zombicide game on it.

These pieces can really be useful. I also proxy the minis...
>>
>>50227455
>The Edge
>Wargame
Lolwut

It's a series of miniatures not meant to be played with. Notice how the miniatures are the styling point, not the rules.

If you want a skirmish game, play Infinity.
>>
>All this hate on The Edge by a few anons

I watched miniwargamings demo video and they genuinely looked like they were having fun. I wish the combat had a little more to it but it still looks fun if you play with multiple people.

Lets be honest the mini's are worth it alone
>>
>>50226429
Hikaru's defining characteristics are that he is fast and mobile, not that he never retreats. Even says something similar in his character sleeve.

But that particular style should have gotten updated in the transition from War to War Remastered (as well as Demitras'). It's not that my first thought is to replace it. Rather, over several matches, I've never seen Hikaru player use it and come out ahead.
>>
>>50227881

You people make me want to back it again, but I just realized because I cancelled my pledge, I lost the day 1 backing mini. Shit.
>>
If you could have a super deluxe version of any game, production values high on everything, what game and what would it feature?
>>
>>50227984
I say back it anon. I honestly think it will turn out well and be more fun then expected. It would be cool if we had a demo where the play out more of the campaign to get a better feel for the legacy content.
>>
>>50227984
Don't regret not backing because of a slower shipping time. Back it if you think you want to pay the money for it.

It doesn't look appealing to me so I'm not backing it.
>>
>>50227984
>>50228187
What the following anon said is true. Make sure you want this, some people are going to like it, some won't. Don't let the opinion of others sway you including mine.
>>
>>50228234

Hah, nah it's fine. Just got around to watching the gameplay, seems simple enough. It's just like I said previously, it's another wargame on top of a pile, albeit with pretty minis. My local meta has a hard on for euro style games, and so I imagine this game would gather dust just like several other games in my collection.

Also, >>50227517 >>50227783 are kind of daft for not thinking it's a wargame.

>Units with different stats
>Move around a designated area
>Attacking each other via rolls and special abilities
>Terrain is important

I don't know what else the game could possibly be aside from a wargame. Then again I imagine they don't think summoner wars is a wargame either because it uses cards instead of miniatures.
>>
>>50227354
Haven't played it myself, but /bgg/ likes to hate on it for some reason. I think it looks like a light, fun solo game. A friend has it but he's never brought it to the table, so I haven't had the urge to buy it, I guess I could always trade it to some RPGer in my LGS if it didn't satisfy me.

>>50227511
>not into dick monsters
what are you, gay?

>>50227590
word...
>>
File: pic2294416_lg.jpg (412KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
pic2294416_lg.jpg
412KB, 1024x768px
>>50226743
>played recently
>favorite game with unreasonable # of minis
>favorite game of 2016
Mansions of Madness 2E! Replayed a mission and while I barely discovered anything new myself, it was still a very good experience (helped that it was new for everyone else at the table). Came so fucking close to getting the flawless victory ending I wanna cry
>KS
Too many trash "publishers" hocking shit games. Don't care about established publishers using it as a preorder service though some of them need to fucking get it together
>Wishlist
No wishlist, I'm full

>>50225340
>Battlecon
>Kit customization
We have this to some extent with Armory but probably not what you want from it. I don't think their audience wants to buy more than 1 set per year anyway. Their last KS underperformed as it is.

I think it'd be cool if BattleCON had something similar to Star Realms' distribution model because then some of my friends might actually buy in and become more invested in the game. But they'd have to nail down better balance because it sucks if we both buy fighters and mine always has the advantage
>>50226894
Get a game that's already available ffs. There's hundreds of them and you can read reviews, watch it played, and buy it retail today
>>50227354
Arkham Horror LCG is reviewing well as a solo game if you're into that theme
>>50227673
>that jungle
>that moat and those bridges
unf
>>50228050
Suburbia and pic related
>>
>>50227511
>Taliscuck the dude with the literal WORST taste in games doesn't like KD.
>Can't tell what decent miniatures are.
>Says wank seriously.
Fag.
>>
>>50228357
>Star Realms' distribution model
I'm afraid I'm not too familiar with Star Realms' model (I just play on the app). How does that go?

>audience
Perhaps I'm biased but my group is exclusively former and/or current Magic and Netrunner players. They (like me) would jump at the opportunity to construct kits. We may not reflect L99's target market, but I doubt a game as competitive as BattleCON would go amiss with it.
>>
>>50228357
Mansions of Madness has some variety but it's hard to tell right off the bat and very easy to get the exact same scenario minus random events and monster spawns.
>>
>>50227518
The Dark Souls KS has an exclusive metal coin
/pedantry
>>
>>50228050
Dune 1979
>>
File: why.jpg (5KB, 95x205px) Image search: [Google]
why.jpg
5KB, 95x205px
>>50226743
Actually don't really have any massive miniature count games. Heroes of Normandie is amassing an incredible number of units, but they're still chits. Tannhauser maybe?
FINALLY got Cry Havoc played this weekend.
Definetly don't think I like it quite as much as Kemet off the line, but I'm not convinced it's the overhyped trash some people are saying yet. Maybe after more plays I'll be less enthused, but after one play I still think it's reasonably good. Played the pilgrims so I spent more time engine building than kicking heads in, which makes me frown slightly.
Overall I'm sure it's been good, but my knee-jerk reaction to virtually every $100+ project with hundreds of minis and some generic dungeoncrawler mechanics is to throw up in my mouth a little, but I'm sure some of them are good. Just can't be assed to sift through the chaff.
I really haven't gotten enough plays in of any new stuff to be certain, but I think Mare Nostrum is going to have the most staying power.
I'd like to pick up the new DOOM so I have something Descent-derivative to keep me from buying any others, and New Angeles might turn out pretty good. But they're both Asmodee so who knows when I'll talk myself into getting them. Other than that just waiting on kickstarters.

>>50227354
It does some cool stuff, but I found that there just weren't that many interesting decisions to make. BUT TRY OUT THE FREE APP, it works well and will tell you everything you need to know about whether it's worth playing further.

>tfw too tired to vidya too awake to sleep, should be finishing job application but would probably just fill it with sarcastic shitposting.
>>
>>50229879
Perfect answer.
>>
>>50229929
>should be finishing job application
What are you applying for?
>>
>>50229973
Comms tech for power utility, probably mostly maintaining microwave towers, radios, error reporting systems and fiber lines.
Pay's really good and it'll get me outdoors more, which I miss.
>>
Usually when I'm playing board games it's with friends at a pub. So usually it's stuff with fewer pieces to keep track of, so we'll start with something like Coup while waiting for people to get there, then have a few rounds of something like Secret Hitler.

What're other good games we can play at a table in a bar while drinking?
>>
Anyone think the Deep Madness creators will open a late backer campaign? After ordering the Warchest for The Edge: Dawnfall. I really want to get Deep Madness also since I have another group who probably be interested in playing with me.
>>
>>50229939
Just got the Descartes edition, not sure I want to keep it; it'll be so hard to convince exactly five people to play a thin cardstock game using a printed-out reference packet.
Could I theoretically get away with registering as a Chinese corporation running a Deluxe Dune KS campaign through a TOR client?
>>
>>50229929
>I spent more time engine building than kicking heads in, which makes me frown slightly.
This is every faction. CH is Scythe without the production values or the insight.
>>
>>50230241
I'm hoping further plays convince me you're wrong, but it certainly seems like this COULD be the case - though there was still more interaction than in Scythe.
>>
>>50230356
I don't think CH is a bad game necessarily, but I do think that it was hyped and advertised as something other than it really is, which is an engine-building Eurogame.
>>
File: screenshot.png (2MB, 740x5353px) Image search: [Google]
screenshot.png
2MB, 740x5353px
>>50226743
The closer to shipping we come the more my regret turns to anticipation.
>>
>>50230490
Did they remove two entrances from the starting tile? Looks like they're putting backer feedback to good use.
>>
>>50230563
I knew from day one that the rules would essentially be made by backers and that this would essentially be the 2003 Doom game with DS minis.
>>
>>50230581
>>50230563
What I'm really psyched about is that they did away with "lol you literally can't lose."
>>
Shadows of Brimstone

Took some games for a weekend away with family, played Carcassonne, Codenames and Coup.

As others have said, it's ok. There's a lot of shit, but that's true for the industry as a whole.

Don't think I've played anything released this year.

Kemet, Merchants & Marauders, Archipelago.
>>
>>50230490
They've come a long way. This was and still might be the most risky Kickstarter I've backed, but I have hope now it might seriously hit the table for more than just the IP.
>>
>>50230602
How did they remove it?
>>
>>50231043
Look at the section about sparks. TLDR though, depending on the number of players, you have from 5 as 1 player down to 2 as 4 players number of sparks. You regain all your sparks after beating a boss, but every time you die you lose a spark. and if you die at zero, the game is over. If you kill a boss with sparks remaining, you get bonus souls. Also good to note, one player dying sends the whole party back. No being a sacrificial pawn.
>>
>>50226978
PBUI?
> What's your favorite game that uses an (almost) unreasonable amount of minis?
StarCraft I guess
> What have you played recently?
First time playing Kingdom Builder and Seasons.

Kingdom Builder was ok. Simple mechanics and easy to teach.

For Seasons I just wanted to learn the rules. Seems super fun, would buy it if not for the abundance of 4player games that I have.
> What's your opinion on Kickstarter regarding our hobby?
I'll never use kickstarter because the risk of being scammed is too high
I'll never buy a game that has kickstarter exclusive content
I think that established companies that use kickstarter are out of their minds. It should be used by new people going on the market without means of funding. But what do I know. People are clearly giving money in droves so why shouldn't companies use that.
> What's your favorite game of 2016?
I don't think I have one. The only neww game that managed to interest me was Clank but I don't know if I'm going to buy it.
> What games are at the top of your withlist?
Researching/looking for a 3p strategy game. Looking at Triumph and Tragedy at the moment.
>>
>>50231423
>PBUI
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peace_be_upon_him
>>
>>50231423
>I'll never use kickstarter because the risk of being scammed is too high
>It should be used by new people going on the market without means of funding.
You don't see some kind of contradiction here?
>>
>>50231436
ACK.
>>50231439
No. People are free to use kickstarter. *I* just don't want to use it.

And no wouldn't use it for an established company too - I'm not buying a cat in a bag. Give me the finished and reviewed product.
>>
Is Thunderstone Advance worth a buy if you're already pretty invested in Dominion?

Also is Among the Stars worth if you've already got 7 wonders?
>>
File: 1455045982037.jpg (159KB, 729x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1455045982037.jpg
159KB, 729x1000px
Any VTES players here? Or is it dead nowadays?
>>
File: mythic battles pantheon.jpg (1MB, 680x4655px) Image search: [Google]
mythic battles pantheon.jpg
1MB, 680x4655px
>awesome minis
>beautiful boards and artwork
>fantastic gameplay with clever combat mechanics that allow for many tactical decisions
>up to 4 players skirmish with team play support
>story driven scenarios also for up to 4 players
>a total of 97 miniatures in 48 different sculpts (including a total of 8 Gods and a massive TITAN!) and still with more to come as more stretch goals are being unlocked

All that for just $99. You literally can't afford to not back this.
>>
>>50231886
Pretty elaborate reverse psychology plan you have going here.
>>
>>50231940
Share your thoughts as a comment on their Kickstarter page here:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/806316071/mythic-battles-pantheon

You have to be a backer first though so do that and then you can tell them what you think.

Become an Olympian God and fight beside the greatest heroes and monsters to ever live in this beautiful miniatures board game. Each God, hero, or monster possesses spectacular and unique powers. The game blends elements of drafting forces, card management, and special dice to enable skilful use of combos and player influence over chance.

The Titans have escaped their prison in Tartarus to wreak havoc and devastation upon the world. Seeking revenge on their jailers, they attacked the home of the Gods - Mount Olympus itself! The battle was long and closely-fought, but in the end the Gods were victorious. Even so, the battle cost them dearly.

The surviving Gods are greatly weakened and have lost their immortality. The only way to regain this power is to assimilate the energy stones called Omphalos. The first to absorb enough of this energy will become the new ruler of the Gods, and can create a Pantheon in their own image. Each miniature possesses unique powers: Zeus throws lightning bolts, the Hydra regenerates, Achilles is almost invulnerable… These powers can be combined to create devastating effects. At the start of each game you choose a God, and then build a warband around them. Choose wisely!
>>
>>50231962
>>50231886
Fuck off shill.
>>
>>50231962
So much shilling.

i backed the game but i m thinking of droping my EB.
the gods and the combat doesnt really looks great.
the only thing i like is the activation cards, wich mean you need to manage who and how many time you activate a god/hero/unit.
the combat with removing dice to increase a roll seems meh.

as for >>50230490
i watched a few video. the game looks strange. the tiles should be much bigger for the boss fights. the dancer room was so small it felt really strange.
the way mobs attack pattern works looks both interresting and a dumb down mechanism.
>>
>>50231988
>spreading the word about a fantastic game is shilling

I pity you that you don't understand the passion and excitement and enthusiasm a person can feel when experiencing something great.
>>
>>50231998
forgot to mention it, i backed deep madness cause an EB became availalbe 6min before the kickstarter shutdown.
>>
>>50232009
god damn CTR it didnt take too much time for you to find a new job, is there a shilling job research website or something?
>>
>>50231998
You can drop it but when the game comes out and people see how awesome it is you will wanna bite your own ass.

What do you not like about the gods and the combat? These are the main aspects of the game so why did you back in the first place?

Personally I think the dice mechanic is much more interesting than in other games of that type.
>>
>>50232024
i m not into confrontation skirmish game.
i like strategi game this one is kinda luck based since you are dependant on luck to activate your units with card (thou strategy card can allow you to fetch but still) i dont like the dice system
i ll just resale the game when i get it, the stretchgoal make it worthwhile that s all.
i only view this game as an investement cause the mechanism are lackluster for me.
>>
>>50232046
If you are not into skirmish games then yeah the game is totally not for you.
I think the luck factor is pretty small thanks to fetching. Give me a call when you find a good tactic/strategy combat game that doesn't have any random factors.
>>
>>50232066
REX wants to have a word with you
>>
Shadows of Brimstone
Smash Up, TIME Stories, Celestia, Incan Gold
Mostly a good thing as it allows some truly decadent shit I love like SoB, but parts of it is cancer of course, hype machine, exclusives not only in the basic pledges but also in add-ons and shit... Currently backing the new SoB and Mythic Battles but I may have to drop MB, still thinking about it.
i think my only 2016 game so far is Warhammer Quest Silver Tower. It's ok.
MoM2nd edition, might pick up gorechosen too. Starting to think about getting Scythe and Viticulture too.
>>
>>50232083
Completely different genre. Might as well pull chess into the debate.
>>
>>50231070
>>50230581
>>50230602
I called this 6 months ago.
Guess I could complain about them being lazy-ass motherfuckers that just designed cool toys and crowdsourced the actual game design, but I'm glad someone actually listens to their fanbase/customers/critics and at least tries to deliver a good gaming experience.
Fuck kickstarter chaff.
>>
>>50231464
>Thunderstone Advance
New edition confirmed, might as well wait so you don't have to pay top dollar for 'collector' swag.
$150 for a used set is a ripoff.
>>
Anyone else backing both The Edge: Dawnfall and Mythic Battles: Pantheon

Not being a poorfag is great.
>>
>>50232892
Why both? In what ways are they different? Haven't spent much time looking at them.
>>
File: 1406052385859s.jpg (8KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1406052385859s.jpg
8KB, 250x250px
>>50232929
>Why both?
>How are they different?

Both a drastically different from one another anon in both setting and mechanics. Also why wouldn't i want both? The more choices you have to play board games the better and the release for both are spread apart enough that I won't ignore one for the other.
>>
File: high test qt.png (155KB, 480x802px) Image search: [Google]
high test qt.png
155KB, 480x802px
O L Y M P U S
L
Y
M
P
U
S
>>
>>50233017
Does her shirt attach to the nipples to stay that way?
>>
File: 6537.png (229KB, 639x639px) Image search: [Google]
6537.png
229KB, 639x639px
>>50233017
>>50233038
They changed it.
>>
>>50232991
>push a bunch of minis around on a battlefield
>play cards to activate special abilities

Both are skirmish games. Sure they aren't the same but still similar enough that I would never decide to buy both even if I were a millionaire.
But sure if you want both and can afford then go for it.
>>
>>50233038
Goddesses don't have to explain shit to mortals.
>>
>>50233098
I just don't know why hadn't I thought of that before.
>>
>susd reviews conan

oh boy, can't wait to be lectured about how it's 2016 and sexism is killing board games
>>
>>50233353
>women are being depicted as sexual beings
>that's hateful and bigoted
>>
What's that one game you love that you can rarely ever convince anyone to play?
>>
>>50229301
they put out a 128 card box that supports 2 players, and then 12 card booster packs. The booster packs aren't randomized, you know exactly what you get in each one. If they did this in BattleCON you could choose piecemeal which fighters you'd enjoy
>audience
yeah but you are probably the only one in your group to buy BattleCON. I said audience but what I really meant was their paying customers.

Would expanding the game how you're describing bring in the CCG market? Probably. I think we can agree that they need to expand their customer base but I think they're either too risk averse or they don't think they can survive in a more competitive market (the only way they can actually reach the wider Magic market is by convincing FLGSs to buy new product that could easily flop)
>>50233584
lol that one's a hard sell. I'd say Dominion
>>
>>50233376
>>50233353
It's redeemed a bit by Paul's plug for Fencing/HEMA at the end though - but he fails to make the super important point that FENCING AND HEMA GROUPS ARE A RIDICULOUSLY CONSISTENT HAVEN FOR GAMERS.

Seriously, if you're having trouble finding a group, locate your local Fencing or HEMA club. Those things are almost universally crawling with socially functional nerds that might even be in something resembling athletic shape and have probably heard of deodorant at some point.
>>
>>50233584
Star Trek: Fleet Captains for me. It's difficult enough to play 2 player games as it is around here, and the size of the box scares people off, I think.

Don't really have any with that many minis, closest would be Descent I guess.

Finally got CitOW out to the group I've been going to recently, which turned out to be a terrible mistake. Also played Grand Austria Hotel.

If it's done right, it's fine. If it's packed with exclusives that aren't just cosmetic replacements/upgrades, it can fuck right off.

The only game from this year I liked at all was Mystic Vale.

Millennium Blades, Terraforming Mars, Great Western Trail, and Mare Nostrum.
>>
File: 1411862776632.jpg (59KB, 553x567px) Image search: [Google]
1411862776632.jpg
59KB, 553x567px
Christmas is right around the corner /tg/.

What's a nice board game that I can buy so I can play it with my family during the holidays?

We would be 4 players and there are no children involved so it doesn't have to be retard level.

Things that would be neat:
>doesn't take ten million hours to set up and explain
>it's a good game
>i like things that look nice so that would be neat
>the game allows me to employ strategy to prove that I am the superior family member and smarter than everyone else

I've been thinking about Carcassonne, but that has a hundred expansions so I'm not sure if the base game itself would be fun on it's own or if it would take a long time to explain every expansion
>>
File: greatscott.gif (427KB, 200x198px) Image search: [Google]
greatscott.gif
427KB, 200x198px
>>50233996
Splendor
Welcome to the Dungeon
Love Letter
Coup
Rhino Hero
Pick a Pig/ Pick a Dog
Hanabi
Pandemic
Charriot Race
>>
>>50233996
I've had success with Carcassonne. It's a little bare but it didn't get successful because it launched with those expansions, it was a good game before. Ticket to Ride is the other obvious one. I'm going to try Codenames with my family as it has a ridiculously easy setup and rules while allowing for a certain amount of creative strategy that appeals more to lighter gamers.
>>
>>50233996
Afaik carcasonne is best played with just 2 or 3 specific expansions. It's a great familiy game, we played it for countless hours during the holidays a few years ago.
>>
>>50233996
Carcassonne Big Box. You can start off with the vanilla game to get into it, then add one expansion after another in further games. The expansions add very few new rules to the game, so once you understand the basics it's pretty easy to add expansions one-by-one.

Despite that you can take a look at pic related.
>>
File: 1418590160621.jpg (115KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1418590160621.jpg
115KB, 400x400px
>>50234074
>>50234080
>>50234145
>>50234168
Thanks for all the recommendations and helpful advice my friends!

I'm not much of a board game aficionado so I will take some time to look at each of the games you all mentioned and make sure to note down the points relating to Carcassonne
>>
>>50233996
Card games are usually easier to grasp for non gamers
For Sale
No Thanks
Coloretto
Take 6
Haggis

Bluffing games are also good
Tichu
Skull
Liar's Dice
Cash n' Guns

Social deduction games are family favorites
Coup
Secret Hitler
Mafia de Cuba
Avalon/Resistance
ONUW
>>
The Edge: Dawnfall officially funded at 498,700 pounds. Now to throw money at Pantheon
>>
>>50234374
Oracz must be drunk today. That's over 2.5M polish-dollarydoos.
>>
>>50229844
That 900k unlock? I thought that was just part of the iron keep package and that Solaire was exklusive.

Anyway, oh god what did they do to Sif?
>>
File: 1464290768988.png (483KB, 555x463px) Image search: [Google]
1464290768988.png
483KB, 555x463px
Holy shit is Dungeon Petz the most boring pos ever existed? And why is the board so busy with shitty art?
Good thing we also played Galaxy Trucker, that shit is fun.
>>
>>50236492
>Dungeon Petz bad
>Galaxy Trucker good
Mom says I can't be friends with you.
>>
>>50236492
>Original Digimon
Damn nigga. Now that's an IP that could use a good board game.
>>
>>50236713
I know that Galaxy Trucker is just mindless fun but man Petz left me a bad taste in my mouth, it is a convoluted mess.
>>
>>50236776
TI3Chick actually designed a digimon card game from the ground up. The rules document made me dizzy as shit, but she's got a good enough head for numbers and gamestates that it might actually be a solid game under the autism.
>>
>>50236798
From the way it looks, you'd expect a light, funny zookeeper, but Dungeon Petz is really a puzzly, thinky, punishing worker placement medium-heavy euro in disguise.
I love it. Love the mechanics and how they tie into the theme and artwork. Love how I have to wrack my brain to keep the pets healthy and happy, the planning to come out on top at the pet shows and how to maximise profit when the customers appear and messing with my opponent's plans.
Yeah it's not a game for everyone, learning curve isn't easy and it will trigger serious AP from some players.
I'd give it another shot now that you have a feel for the mechanics and flow, It's a game that grew on me the more I played it.
>>
>>50237115
Maybe it was the way that it was explained to me. The fact that I needed a card to satisfy needs, then the cell needs to support that amount of needs and then assigning a resource to satisfy that need just didn't make sense in my mind, I found that the cards were an unnecessary element to the game. And you are right, I hated that by looking at the art I expected a whole different game.
>>
>>50233353
>>50233376
>>50233857
Watched it, wasn't as bad as I was expecting. They basically say the game is great, point out a few things that could be done better (no mention of the rule book strangely, most other people have said it's sub-par) and then get into their SJW bs. Which, strangely enough, was more about how there wasn't enough women in the game and not really how they were depicted? And how if they could gloss over the rampant racism of the original works, they should do the same for sexism?

hey didn't like Belit's art because she looked unhappy, and used a page from a comic as a counter example where she is dressed the exact same. Weird, but I guess if they like the game it gets more of a pass for sexism.
>>
>>50237671
It's certainly odd for the game to include fewer badass warrior women than the film.
And hell, if they just wanted an excuse for fetish outfits, Red Sonja would have been fairly resistant to criticism.
>>
Whats the best board game with miniatures similar to games like Conan, X-Wing, Pantheon, etc?
>>
>>50238595
>best game similar to a competitive skirmish game, scenario 1vAll dungeoncrawler, or another different skirmish game
So basically any game with miniatures and fighting? That's a pretty damn big net to cast, there is no definitive best.
>>
>>50238657
Any particular favorites?
>>
>>50231998
>the tiles should be much bigger for the boss fights
As someone who's played all the Souls games, I disagree. One thing which annoyed me about Dark Souls 2 and 3 was that every boss got an enormous arena, there was no Capra Demon equivalent.
>>
>>50238716
Just some shots from the hip -
X-Wing is really good, if expensive as hell if you want to be able to run any list you'd like.
Omega Protocol is the most tactically interesting of the dungeoncrawlers that I've played.
Heroes of Normandie uses chits instead of miniatures, but is really good anyways.
Tannhauser is an old favorite, but difficult to find many of the expansion characters these days and a little too lethal / swingy for some people.
>>
Is all the hype for Mythic Battles justified? I mean it looks cool but the hype around it is insane.
>>
>>50239525
hype =/= shilling campaign
I'd never even heard about that shit before the shills stormed in, now I hate it with a passion.
>>
File: 1407269852789.png (11KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
1407269852789.png
11KB, 300x300px
>>50239597
>I'd never even heard about that shit before the shills stormed in, now I hate it with a passion.

So basically you are forming an opinion on a game that you haven't played or even checked out in detail due people shilling.

You are pathetic. Form you own opinion without being influenced by others.
>>
>>50239525
It's undeniable that there's been some pushing going on in this thread. Hard to tell if it's actual shilling or serious fans or people who just want to troll but whatever it is, people have been pushing it. Personally I think it's a great game. I took part in four demo games and if you like fighting games where really all you do is fighting then you will love this. The units are very different from one another and really awesome. My personal favorite is the hydra which heals itself so you don't have to be too careful with it being in the middle of the battlefield. During my games I haven't noticed any balancing issues but then again I have only played 4 games. Gameplay is quick and tactical and the main component of fighting is rolling dice. This is what this game does really well because you don't just compare results like in many other games. Here only the offensive party rolls and after the initial roll they have the chance to either remove some of the dice to raise another die by 1 for each removed die or to explode dice that are a 5 by rolling them again and then adding that to the initial 5. The thing is that dice in this game go from blank to 5 rather than 1 to 6 and a blank automatically kills a die. If you explode a 5 and the reroll is a blank you lose the entire die including the 5 you had before. So if you need to reach 7, sometimes you sacrifice 3 dice to get a 4 up to 7 rather than sacrificing one die and then exploding the 5. You always have to consider the risk. You either play low risk low reward or high risk high reward. Really fun and clever mechanic that makes fighting, calculating, and risk management more than two-dimensional.
If you are at all interested you should watch some videos on youtube. There are some good ones.
>>
>>50239679
You ever had that friend that was so obsessed about a band you're neutral about and whenever you were together he'd keep playing their music nonstop and blabbering about how they're the best band ever to exist until you hate the band regardless of whether you like or dislike the music itself?
Same thing
>>
>>50239788
in this and the two previous ones
>>
>>50239931
Not to mention random threads about it.

It's like these retards just discovered 4chan and (((Hiro))) gave them free matketing.
>>
>Get a room mate who brags about how much he loves playing games
>Dude doesn't ever feel like playing shit
>Set-up the board, deal out the cards, all that shit
>All he needs to do is sit down and play
>Might play 1 game a month and he isn't happy about it

Thinking about kicking this fucker out.
>>
>>50239951
>>50239931
Eh, that always happens with games that are super successful on Kickstarter and this one is in the middle of the KS campaign and doing really well. In two weeks that annoying pushing will cease. But honestly, don't let that push you away from the game. I don't want to sound like one of them but it really is a fun game.
>>
>>50240033
It literally looks like shit.

Fuck off.
>>
So what is the general consensus on The Edge: Dawnfall?
>>
>>50240061
If that's your opinion that's fine. No need to be hostile I was just trying to explain the situation as well as the game to someone who asked. My opinion is that it doesn't look like shit. I think it looks great and it only plays great. I know because I have played it.
>>
>>50240093
>I know because I have played it.
We already know you're a kike shill.

Fuck off.
>>
>>50240093
Also instead of only*
>>
>>50240108
Sure. Whatever your paranoia forces you to think. That's okay.
>>
I'm looking for a snazzy Chaos in the old World derivative. Does anyone have any opinions on whether I should go buy cthulhu wars + faction expansions or late back The Gods War?
>>
>>50240681
Apparently Gods War is more polished and streamlined but if you like the Yog-Sothothery you definitely want Cthulhu Wars.
>>
>>50240719
Is it more streamlined? It seems like it has more rules and more exceptions.
>>
>>50236776
>original
But that's the second gen with furry bait.
>>
>>50226743
I guess TI3? But that's not really unreasonable. Nevertheless, its the only game I own with a large amount of plastic but I'm looking to hock it (and the SE expansion.)

Running some solo Fire in the Lake for Veterans Day. Playing as the US ofc, first game had just a bad draw against the VC with Booby Traps fucking me and them winning at 2nd Coup.

Hate it. Problem is that either well-established companies use it, and it's reason to advertise and get WAY more than what the game is worth, or start-ups use it as "Baby's First Publish" and you end up being the guinea pig for all their newfag mistakes. Also, if it's a KS exclusive, then (to me) it's obviously not good enough for the actual game. If it was, it would be in it already.

I'm really liking Labyrinth: The Awakening right now. Also Falling Sky and RFTG: Xeno Invasion.

Churchill, Space Empires 4X, and Empire of the Sun are my current top 3.
>>
>>50239898
Oh god. This. So much this.
Fuck Radiohead.
>>
Anyone else excited for the Kingdom Death reprint kickstarter?
>>
File: 1389217343753.jpg (49KB, 625x317px) Image search: [Google]
1389217343753.jpg
49KB, 625x317px
>>50242733
>Fuck Radiohead.

Oh God! I had no idea that there was a Radiohead board game. EVERYONE PANIC!!!!
>>
>>50242931

Yes, and also worried about the cost
>>
>>50240073
It's shit, nice minis though
>>
>>50241919
>apparently
I don't actually know bruh.
>>
Anyone else buy into Giga-Robo? It pandered to my inner weeb enough were I bought into it...if only i could talk my roomies into playing it with me when it actually comes in
>>
>>50244021
I did.
I had no idea what it is, I just don't have a skirmish game, my friends love robots, and the knowledge that if I don't like it I can definitely scalp it for even money.
>>
>>50236083
Solaire is going to be in all core boxes. I get the feeling I've heard that the metal threat marker is exclusive but I can't find it. As far as I can see, all these things were just in general upgrades.
>>
>>50242931
It's too deep down the rabbit hole for me. I know the cost is going to be that of at least 4 really great games and the miniature quality is most of what people are after, to which I'm of the miniature plebleness of "I have to assemble everything out of piles and piles of tiny pieces and grinding down all the extra plastic?" Bloodrage already makes me feel guilty that I don't attempt to paint stuff but I got that for $40.

Besides that, I really do hate their art a good third of the time. I'm not of the opinion that you need to make all themes friendly to all audiences, but the pin up girls just look so out of place.
>>
>>50244225
It's exclusive because it's listed as a stretch goal but not itself included in any of the expansion sets.
Like, one of the stretch goals is Lucatiel, and she's listed as part of the "summoned help" expansion (whichever one that is), as are all stretch goals but the coin.
>>
>>50244339
Yeah, honestly the dick lion and the phoenix's "handy" cloaca don't bother me but girls not being amazons kinda does.
>>
>>50244339
Pinups are not a part of the game, AFAIK. You can buy them if you want, if you're into that sorta stuff just because they're cool minis, but they don't play a part in the campaign, they have no rules, no stats, no mechanics, no effect, no impact, no nothing other than eye candy.
>>
>>50233616
>Got baseball highlights because I love the theme and everything and people said it was really good
>Dad won't play it because he loves baseball and thinks the theme is too much of a joke
>Most of my friends won't play it because they arbitrarily hate all sports and find baseball the "boringest"
>My brother is the only one who will play it with me from time to time and he hates deck builders.

Admittedly, he at least said it was his favorite deck builder he played.

>>50244356
I'm gonna contact them because I really can't search through the slew of old comments and answers they gave, but I recall them saying Solaire was not going to be exclusive.
>>
>>50244505
I'm talking about the coin, not Solaire. Making Solaire an exlusive is one of the dumbest things they can possibly do.
>>
>>50240073
I'll tell you when it's out. For now, lets hate it for the sake of hating things.
>>
>>50246358
Nah let's hate it for the sake of terrible combat mechanics.
>>
>>50246479
So you roll a die, add a value of a stat and may or may not modify the outcome with some cards. Nothing new and exciting. That's the fact. However I have to admit but there are a lot of ppl like you who are ignorant in their hobby. In this case, you take a look at the company with main focus set on miniatures, and try to fit it in your bg mind. It doesn't work that way. If you want a game with great combat you would be playing Malifaux (which tbqhfam is my top #1 since second edition) or some bg - you name It. You want a neuroshima hex with minis - here you go. So yeah it's ok if you do not like things that other ppl do like. Just look at it with a perspective.

I may hate card games because of cards, ir's as simple as that. But I can albo see that Netrunner mechanics are great.

So yeah, not everything for everyone or sth like that.

Btw I hate my phone.
>>
File: banner.jpg (372KB, 1000x371px) Image search: [Google]
banner.jpg
372KB, 1000x371px
So am I allowed to start the hype train for this now? Honestly I'm not even sure exactly how it plays but I've gone all in (top tier, all expansions, the works). It was either this or Keyper and I'm afraid it was really no contest.
>>
>>50247555
I backed it the first minute it was up, it looks amazing and the gameplay has been solid for years as various prototypes at conventions will attest.
>>
>>50246670
This game is nothing like neuroshima hex, and is English not your first language? It was very hard to follow what you are saying.
>>
File: Last Friday.jpg (77KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
Last Friday.jpg
77KB, 500x500px
How did this game turn out? Any good? The concept seems pretty fun
>>
>>50244569
Just got a reply. Solaire is part of the summons expansion and the metal coin is part of all core boxes.
>>
>>50248563
Shit... if I didn't have Fury of Dracula I'd buy it on theme alone.

Also interested how it turned out.
>>
>>50248583
I have fury of dracula as well. I hope they made it feel like more of its own thing to justify having both
>>
>>50248563
Haven't played it myself. Tom reviewed it, said not enough interesting stuff happens and that every match plays about the same.
>>
>>50247555
>>50247796
What is this and why should I care?
>>
>>50249188
It's called use google you double nigger. You really should look into it.
>>
>>50249219
I find it's way more interesting to engage people here because they have genuine enthusiasm and tell you the pros and cons instead of just pros or skipping over bits that may be naff.

So go fuck yourself you cheesedick beaner fuck.
>>
>>50234074
>Rhino Hero
I want to re-theme this as Rhino Muslim
>>
>>50249243
>Won't even do the minimum of leg-work
>Expects to have people spoonfeed him

No you pudgy americlap faggot. Go away and don't come back until you can recite the kickstarter word for word.
>>
>>50249219
>am I allowed to start the hype train
>by telling people who ask about what to fuck off

Gee sure I'm super hyped about having this conversation.
>>
>>50249708
Excuse me sir do you have time to talk about our Lord and Saviour Mythic Battles: Pantheon?
>>
>>50249708
>>50249723
There you go, I'm sure plasticfest over there will be happy to indulge your slacker ass.
>>
>>50249723
No, I don't care about that either
I might want to talk about Ashes but frankly it's better to wait till this thread hits bump limit because it's such a trainwreck
>>
>>50249770
>Talking about Ashes
>Calling other things a trainwreck

Wew lad, steady on there.
>>
>>50249797
Well at least it not getting distributed means no one is trying to shill for it because there's nothing to sell.
But I agree Star Wars Destiny and Arkham Horror are gonna kill it dead if Asmodee/F2Z/PHG/whoever the fuck is sipposed to does not do something soon.
>>
>>50249841
Someone's going to make another of those comics only instead of EA it's going to be Asmodee with Ashes as just another corpse on the pile.
>>
>>50249678
I'm not even american you dumb cunt.
>>
>>50249952
You have an odd fetish for mexicans for someone who isn't american then.
>>
>>50249990
You responding negatively to it. That's really all that matters.

I could call you a flaccid fuck boy if it makes you feel better.
>>
>>50250063
Did mexicans rape your family? It's ok, Trump will build the wall and protect everyone from them.
>>
>>50250130
>When you try to come up with a witty comeback but you're literally retarded.
Wew

Anyway, has anyone played Stone Age?
Recommend it?
>>
>>50250161
Wasn't entirely meant to be a comeback, genuinely trying to figure out what your deal with mexicans is.

Oh, and you're a casual.
>>
>>50250161
try it on boardgamearena
I would reccommend it as a stepping stone from gateway euros into heavier territories and worker placement. Better than Lords of Waterdeep IMO.
>>
>>50250183
>Mention you're a beaner.
>Become fixated with it.
You literally have the thinnest skin I've ever seen from a poster on 4chan. You probably are a beaner seeing as how those panties are literally a knot.

>Casual
>As if being a "hardcore boardgamer" is something to be proud of.
It's better than having autism yeh.
>>
File: buddeh.jpg (64KB, 634x437px) Image search: [Google]
buddeh.jpg
64KB, 634x437px
>>50250200
Thanks buddeh.
>>
>>50250226
>go-to insult is calling someone a beaner
>insult categorically from america
>not an american

And yeah, being a hardcore gamer is pretty much a step up from being a casual however you look at it.
>>
>>50250266
I would disagree actually.

Being a hardcore gamer of any kind just makes you look like a goof who doesn't actually have any meaningful hobbies.

Playing games is fine, but making it a large part of your identity is pretty low test.
>>
>>50250266
>>go-to insult is calling someone a beaner
>>insult categorically from america

you are on the internet you leaf blower carrying retard insults in the english language don't have a nationality
>>
>>50250306
>boardgaming
>not a meaningful hobby

You're definitely wrong.
>>
>>50250328
Shut it ya bam.
>>
>>50250328
For someone who isn't american, the first insult that springs to mind is not going to be inherently foreign to them.
>>
>>50250334
It is, like all gaming hobbies, superfluous by definition, with no value beyond entertainment.
>>
>>50250366
You mean apart from the mental skills and exercises it teaches, or the physical aspects that accompany it (model painting, accoutrement crafting, etc). You are wrong.
>>
>>50250334
Unless you have deplorable social skills it's really not, sorry dude.
>>
>>50250406
0/10
>>
>>50250402
If you think the skills you develop boardgaming, painting and modeling are useful for anything in this world beyond more boardgaming, painting and modeling you seriously need to get some fresh air.
>>
>>50250444
>exercising your brain in a multitude of problem solving ways isn't useful beyond boardgames
>Fine-tuning hand-eye co-ordination isn't useful beyond boardgames

I think I'm just being rused here. But by all means, which hobbies impart to you things which are useful for more than that particular hobby.
>>
File: 1441380355216.jpg (2MB, 4250x2391px) Image search: [Google]
1441380355216.jpg
2MB, 4250x2391px
Think I'm finally going to cave and order a pair of 48"x48" custom playmats from inked gaming for my table, should be a near-perfect fit.

Question is what image to put on them. My current surface is a medium grey, which works well, but I'm thinking maybe something with some more texture might be an improvement.

Suggestions?
>>
>>50250475
This dude is literally triggered because he thinks he's an Alpha Nerd™

Holy crackers.
>>
>>50250520
0/10
>>
File: greypattern.jpg (2MB, 2048x2048px) Image search: [Google]
greypattern.jpg
2MB, 2048x2048px
I like this pattern, but I think the light shading towards the center might be a bit weird with two mats on the table, and the resolution is a little low for the size.
>>
>>50250527
I honestly feel bad for you.

Maybe if you worked out or something you'd realize some hobbies actually improve your quality of life.
>>
>>50250475
Tinkering with cars will teach you where to put your hands when something in yours breaks in the middle of nowhere. Sculpèting wood or making furniture means you will be able to do small carpentry work around your house. Learning how to knit will give you some basis for stitching clothes you might actually use. And so on.

Hand eye coordination, el oh el. Painting spess mehreens makes you better at catching balls; you heard it first on /tg/!
>>
>>50250444

Boardgaming skills
>social skills, flexibility and adaptability, risk assessment, mathematical skills, sportsmanship, planification, identifying goals, teamwork, leadership
These are all pretty handy in a work environment

Modeling
>fine motricity and hand-eye coordination, critical eye, color theory, composition, motor tools
A friend of mine is a really good prosthodontist, and he's definitely benefited from hours of practicing on miniatures.
>>
>>50250558
>social skills.
Most people don't need a boardgame to develop the ability to interact with others.

That's probably a negative sign if you do to be honest.
>>
>>50250537
Except I do work out, so nice try there.

>>50250540
I'll give you the cars one
>Sculpting wood
Because you can't do that (or any sculpting) in relation to boardgames
>Learning how to knit
>which hobbies impart to you things which are useful for more than that particular hobby.

>Hand eye coordination, el oh el. Painting spess mehreens makes you better at catching balls

Actually I said "fine-tuning" but sure, it all helps.
>>
>>50250528
Is this a deal where you can submit any image you want, or do they have a set range of images?
>>
>>50250161
I own it and play it on Boardgamearena too. Definitely enjoy it.
>>
>>50250528
Poker table green cloth. Classics can't be beat.
>>
>>50250638
While poker table felt is classy it's a bitch to clean especially crumbs and if your playgroup "forgets" to use their coasters
>>
>>50250609
And? The fact that socially inept people exist does not negate the fact that playing boardgames helps develop these skills.
>>
>>50250611
Any image that isn't clearly copyrighted, as long as I can convert it to an RGB .jpg

>>50250638
No, felt is shit, especially when playing with sleeved cards.
>>
>>50250528
What about space patterns?
>>
>>50250725
well, it's not gonna be felt, it's jus' gonna be a green 48"x48" playmat
>>
File: ɥǝppnq.jpg (91KB, 634x437px) Image search: [Google]
ɥǝppnq.jpg
91KB, 634x437px
>>50250630
Thanks buddeh.

Is boardgamearena a good place to try games out? I always get iffy about playing stuff online with randoms.
>>
File: mythic battles.jpg (322KB, 1040x760px) Image search: [Google]
mythic battles.jpg
322KB, 1040x760px
I can't wait.
>>
>>50251061
>"miniatures" board game

So it's basically another plastic pusher with a paper thin game attached that will get delayed by at least a year if not more and the final product (if it ever arrives) will retail for 50% cheaper.
>>
>>50251132
>doesn't know anything about the gameplay which is fantastic for a skirmisher that also delivers a campaign
>"paper thin game"

Wew. Maybe Snakes and Ladders is more your style. :^)
>>
>>50251061

I fucking love that theme. Hope the game's good. I saw tbe rules and they look alright, but I'm not seeing that 'spark" not yet anyway
>>
>>50251132
Pretty much.

Looks pretty shite.
>>
>>50251198
You're absolutely right, I know nothing about the gameplay. However, based on its self-advertising as a miniatures board game (rather than a board game with miniatures) I feel pretty confident in stating that aside from some minor tweaks (if that) it will have fallen into the same stale pattern that all (and I do mean all) "miniatures board games" do.
>>
>>50250803
Not a terrible idea, but I'd prefer something theme-neutral, and primarily black shows debris and inevitable cat hair much stronger than something a little lighter.

>>50250806
Ah, yeah. Maybe.
>>
>>50251261
Ignorance is bliss.
>>
>>50249878
Plaid hat killed ashes, not asmodee
>>
>>50251030
I can't say that I play many random matches. You might do what I do and get some friends you know to create accounts. I've got friends that live all over the place that I can't get together with IRL so we'll play online. You can simply download the rules pdf and email a copy to everyone if they want to get a look at the rules before playing online. Playing Stone Age on BGA is particularly nice since it does all of the book keeping totaling up victory points, etc.
>>
>>50251479
On the contrary, It would be the previous knowledge of many such miniatures board games on kickstarter that allows me to make such a statement.
>>
>>50250725
>Any image that isn't clearly copyrighted, as long as I can convert it to an RGB .jpg

IN THAT CASE! Time to start stalking your favorite board game designer. ;)

In all seriousness, I'd avoid a highly detailed / busy pattern as it will act as camouflage and make seeing / finding / reading small chits, dice, etc, a pain in the ass. Maybe a medium gray large square checkerboard pattern?
>>
>>50251700
Yeah, that had been my thought process too, but I'd like something a little more interesting than a checkerboard, which is why I liked that geometric gray pattern I posted above. Just wish I could find a version without the shading, or something similar.
>>
>>50251736
Maybe make your own geometric patterns using Photoshop or somesuch? There has to be a tutorial for something like that out there somewhere.
>>
Anyone here played Space Hulk: Death Angel TCG with 4~6 players?
How does it play?
>>
When will the backers of Tiny Epic Quest get the official P'n'P version of the game?

I wanna print it out and play test it before buying it.
>>
I love board games
>>
>>50252486
faggot :D
>>
>/bgg/: shitflinging & shills edition
This really is the 2016 of threads now, can't wait for a new one.
>>
>>50251816
>wife is graphic design major
Sometimes I'm slower than I'd like to admit.
brb bribing the Mrs.
>>
File: Easy on the eyes....jpg (109KB, 558x558px) Image search: [Google]
Easy on the eyes....jpg
109KB, 558x558px
>>50252861
>>wife is graphic design major

Ha! I married a veterinarian. No more flat worms when I poop! Hooray!

>Sometimes I'm slower than I'd like to admit.
>brb bribing the Mrs.

Maybe a pair of mats that have a gradient - line up the two mats so the lightest edges meet in the middle of the table? Busy patterns are the worst. When I was a kid my folks bought a home with the most insanely busy carpet pattern in the basement. If you dropped a full sized chess piece like a Queen or a Knight, you had to lie on the floor and look horizontally over the carpet to find the damn thing. It was nightmare inducing stuff. (Not to mention damn dangerous to walk around in bare feet down there - never knew what was going to impale you because you couldn't see what was on the floor.)
>>
>>50242990
I've daydreamed of designing an 80s and 90s era alt music themed game with heavy legacy elements where tagging your game with stickers changes how it plays
>>
File: mythic battles pantheon hecate.png (434KB, 639x426px) Image search: [Google]
mythic battles pantheon hecate.png
434KB, 639x426px
Who's your favorite god so far?
What's your 12RP dream team?
>>
So lets be honest, what are some games everyone has backed or plan on backing?

My List:
-The Edge: Dawnfall
-Feudum
-Mythic Battles: Pantheon
-Deep Madness
-King Death: Monster
>>
>>50254300
Kingdom Death obviously
>>
>>50254300
Of those?

Only KD.
>>
>>50251132
>I have no idea what I am talking about: the post

Kindly point me to where I can buy Conan for $45. Oh wait, its discounted retail price is $100, and it doesn't come with the kickstarter extras which pretty much double the content.
>>
Can the kikescammer fags make their own thread already? Sick of them shitting up this one with their shilling.
>>
>>50253534

>that pattern

I FEEL THE WARP OVERTAKING ME
>>
>>50252486
Actually the best post in the entire thread.
Love you anon, you keep doing you.
>>
>>50254477
The truly scary part is that the image I used is NOT as bad as the carpet I mentioned. It was multicolored and damn near anything smaller than the palm of your hand simply vanished visual as soon as it landed on that shit. It was indeed maddening.
>>
File: 1387920272493.jpg (256KB, 980x653px) Image search: [Google]
1387920272493.jpg
256KB, 980x653px
>>50254465
>>
Can someone recommend some great boardgames that wouldn't break the bank but have some depth to them
>>
>>50254929
Chess.
>>
>>50254998
i mean the the usual casual stuff.
>>
>>50254929
Carcassonne, Ticket to Ride, Karuba, Las Vegas, and maybe San Juan are good places to start, assuming you're looking for games for the family or people who aren't used to board games beyond Monopoly, Clue, Risk and the like.
>>
>>50255458
Maybe a little more complex for people who are into board games.
>>
Looking at getting a few new boardgames for the holidays. We play a euross and twilight struggle. Was looking at getting a dungeon crawl game and was leaning towards descent since the people I play with tend to be more casual gamers. Also wanted to get a skirmish game and battlelore caught my eye. Any suggestions?
>>
>>50255221
Checkers.

If you can't do that, you honestly shouldn't even have existed.
>>
>>50254910
actually, no. You did shill, go make a containment thread for you and your jewish overlords.
>>
>>50255489
San Juan can probably still work, and to add to that I'd look into Council of Blackthorn, Deception: Murder in Hong Kong, Mottainai, Schotten Totten if you want a 2 player game, The Grizzled, any of the Valley of the Kings games, Blood Bowl: Team Manager, and The Castles of Burgundy.
>>
>>50255494
Imperial Assault is both a 1v1 skirmish game and a dungeon crawl. If you don't mind the Star Wars theme it's a pretty decent upgrade of Descent 2.0.
>>
>>50250540
I am literally starting a carpentry project as part of my boardgaming hobby. I don't think it's the hobby, it's the person engaging in the hobby, that's just my opinion though.
>>
>>50256947
but its the hobby which allows you to be introduced to learning these skills.
>>
>>50255635
Not the Anon you're replying to, but frankly if you can't stand someone talking about a game or KS that they like, you and your thin skin should fuck off some place safer - like back home where mommy and daddy can protect you.
>>
>>50257311
Nah bitch nah, spamming the thread and shitposting shouldn't be allowed you fucking fuck head.
>>
>>50257439
> Screaming 'Stop Liking What I don't Like!'
> Screaming 'Shill! Shill!' at every mention of a KS
> Contributing nothing of value to the thread...
> Un-ironically claiming everyone else is ship-posting...

Right.
>>
>>50257604
>All this nonsense.
Link my posts where I said any of that.

I bet you're a democrat.
>>
>>50257625
And I can tell the only mental exercise you get is jumping to false conclusions. <Golf Clap!>
>>
>>50257668
Still waiting for those links.
>>
>>50257439
Why do you hate your own hobby so much? Some great games come out of KS, some don't. Its just like if games come out straight into retail.
>>
>>50254300
>Feudum
>Tiny Epic Quest
Unfortunately going in for Feudum meant I had to cut back but if I had unlimited cash
>Keyper
>Lisboa
Although, that last one was easier to give up on since Vital looks like he's finally fallen in the Euro hole and just decided to chuck the kitchen sink at you.
>>
>>50254300
Dungeon Degenerates

keen on backing KD:M and late backing Glorantha, still waiting for Level 99 to put up the Duelist Library KS
>>
File: image.png (676KB, 984x794px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
676KB, 984x794px
>>50251824
Only solo, it's super confusing at first, but after watching 4 hours of YouTube play throughs I was able to finish my first game. I bet it's similar with others controlling more than one marine each, but if you employ the hidden mechanic (not allowed to show what you are going to do on your turn, until you actually do it) then there could be some interesting senarios where the players will try and save themselves or sacrificing their weaker marine in order to not be eliminated.

It's the kind of game that's better to learn from someone who's played it more than a few times in a face to face environment.
>>
>>50258559
Lisboa is less complex than Vinhos
>>
>>50253534
>>50252861
Come to think of it borrowing designs from nice carpets could be good too, though you'd be hardpressed to find full images of those barring taking pictures and stitching them together.
>inb4 "why are you playing TI3 on the floor"
>>
I played some games of Mansions of Madness this weekend, but I have a question for anyone who might know the game.

We set up for map 5 and after a short time one of my friends opened the freezer and the keeper told us that we all instantly lost as Ithaqua was released from his prison.

Did we miss something on set up which would have prevented us from marching straight in and losing (the first clue would have told us not to go into the freezer, but my friend had already done it by then.)

Either way the other games we played were really fun, good game.
>>
>>50226743
I can't think of a game with an unreasonable amount...but I've played Battlelore and Nexus Ops, that has a fair number.

I played Dead of Winter: The Long Night with my buddy last weekend. I got pretty bored with the original, but this one adds a lot of great stuff that practically fixes all my gripes with the original. Bandits that roam the maps, special infected, more unique characters, a derelict research lab with all sorts of cool weapons, and a monkey. Explosive traps, interesting crossroads cards. Just all around more enjoyable to me.

I'm about to get Endure the Stars after a year after backing it on kickstarter! I pretty much did it because space and cool mini's so we'll see how it plays...I think Kickstarter is a good thing for the industry, I've seen a couple great games come from it, some local from my area that the creator otherwise could not have made.

Battlelore 2nd Edition is probably my pick, even though it didn't come out this year. Since I can hardly ever get a lot of people over, it's always me squaring off against one friend, so we play a lot of this game, and it's just so enjoyable with the way the different scenarios can affect how you place your troops and play the game.

I really want to try Eclipse and Dominant Species. I'm not afraid of a long game, but I need a group of people who don't just want to play cards against humanity and Catan all the time.
>>
What's a good action programming game (that's not Robo Rally)?
>>
>>50261250
Lords of Xidit, SW Armada, Mechs vs Minions, Wallenstein
>>
>>50261356
Mechs vs Minions is probably ungettable at this point, and SW theme don't appeal to me.

How's Lords ofXidit and Wallenstein? Heard about Wallenstein/Shogun didn't know it was action programming.
>>
>>50260517
Spoiler seems to happen pretty often apparently, going by comments on BGG. So no, you didn't miss anything, scenario 5 just has terrible design.
>>
>>50261250
Colt Express?
>>
>>50240073
judging by the gameplay video i didnt any appeal to the game.
the 1d6+stat vs 1d6+stat felt lackluster.
the minis look great but really edgy as fuck.
if you backed it up i hope you wont be disappointed.
>>
>>50250512
damn you got a nice cave to game in.
i wish i had the possibility to have a big room just like that only dedicated to gaming.
i only got my study for the storage and we play in the living room, wish i could kick wife out of her study she s got a bigger room.
>>
>>50251222
same, i backed it because i know a lot of sucker will back it because of the conan game.
i wont open the boxes and just instantly resale them cause the game mechanism dont look that great.
>>
>>50251222
To me it feels like an evolution from the memoir 44 - battle cry - battle lore style games, which I am OK with.
>>
>>50240005
>being able to play one game a month with another person

I envy you, anon
>>
>>50262370
I love the mechanics. To me it feels like a vastly improved and streamlined Mage Wars. The fact that even the dice rolls include decision making is awesome. And the unit variety is just insane. I can't wait to finally get my copy.. just 13 more months... ;_;
>>
>>50262147
I don't know? You tell me. If I knew what are some cool action programming games I wouldn't ask.
>>50261356
Lords of Xidit looks cool, thanks for the recommendation.
>>
>>50262658
colt express you have 6 action cards in hand each turn :
shot, climb, move back, move forward, holdup/loot, punch and one or 2 other iirc.

you are on a train and you have to play a card face up on what you will be doing then another player put his action card above yours etc etc
if the train is in a tunnel you play the action facedown so no one know what you are doing this turn.

once everyone has played his card you take the action pile and start reveiling action starting from the first card that got placed.

if you are injured you are given an action card that has no action at all reducing the max amount of action you can perform this turn.

there are more subtilities because each railroadthief has some special ability
>>
>>50262658
I'm just not sure that Colt Express could be defined as "action programming games", english isn't my first language, and sometimes, specific vocabulary isn't that easy to get.

Anyway, Colt Express is really fun and chaotic, the train is goofy but fun (though a little bit impractical) and it's sufficiently not-serious so that it's fun even if you are messing up. Plus there isn't really a "perfect number" of people required, it's as good as 3 as it is at 6.
>>
>>50262863
>>50262947
Thanks for the write up it certainly seems like an action programming game!
>>
So, I'm thinking of backing the new Kingdom Death: Monsters Kickstarter when it drops. I am however moving to the other side of the country come January.

How hard is it to find a play group that I can trust around my expensive, hand painted stuff? Specifically in Seattle.
>>
>>5026137
Last time I checked, MvM ran out of its 1st printing, but there's still preorder copies of the 2nd printing. They ship mid-late December
>>
>>50263396
Seattle has (or had, been a few years since I've been up there) some pretty sweet fencing clubs, and those are crawling with gamers, as are most HEMA clubs though I don't have any experience with those in washington.

Or you could just look for explicit boardgame meetups at FLGSs and social media.
>>
>>50263821
Dope, know any good FLGSs in the area?
>>
>>50263837
Nope, sorry.
>>
>>50257024
Well, of course, that's part of my point, I would never have started this project had I not picked up gaming as a hobby. It also depends on the drive of the person entering the hobby though. That's really any hobby though.
>>
>>50261376
you can still get MvM but it doesn't ship til next month
>>
Would you play a boardgame on a tablet like table?
Pros:
>No setup time
>Rules built into the apps
>Access to out of print games
>Massively less expensive than a boardgame collection in just 3 games
>Legacy games could be replayed
>Would never need to stop to measure things like line of sight
Cons:
>Grandpa doesn't know how to use computers (but can somehow learn all the rules to a game?)
>Would need to rely on battery when a poweroutage happens (You know, all 3 days a year that happens)

Can your hobby survive the advancement of technology? It's looking like physical boards and cards are becoming pointless and bloated expense-wise.
>>
>>50264729
nah that's mad gay
>>
>>50264729
I mean, there were some cool suggestions with the old microsoft surface table, but that got scrapped. I believe there have been some other efforts, but nothing that has really taken off. It's hard to get people to want to pay for a $3000 US board game table that's fragile as hell. If you could get the cost down and have a way to use it as an actual table when you're not gaming it'd be great.

And yes, hobby can survive. People like up like having actual cards and plastic minis and shit. It gives us something analog to do. Just like there are still woodworkers who use nothing but hand tools, there will always be fuckers like us playing our games physically.
>>
>>50264729
Well it depends. Will the app simulate only the board so I can move all the tactile pieces on top of it and have it pick up all the positions and carry out actions accordingly? Or will I need to paw at it, beep booping the touchscreen like a braindead millenial?
>>
>>50264729
How is it going to deal with hidden information?
>>
>>50264798
$350.
>>50264825
Yes, you can still use miniatures and pawns and stuff. Dice and cards seem based on the app though, which is good because that's where 90% of the "cheater!" claims come from.
>>50264864
Smart phones
>>
>>50264729
Poking at a touch screen is never as satisfying as holding real stuff in your hands. Only time I play boardgame ports is solo mode on long commutes.
>>
Blood rage. Yes or no? Is it fun at 2 players?

If not whats a dudes on map game thats fun at 2 players
>>
>>50264942
I love it, it's a very polarizing game though because of all the genres it covers, it only covers them with little splashes of each which takes a lot of people off guard. So the dudes on a map/area control is only around 30% of the game. I haven't played it with 2 yet so I can't tell you how well it works for that.
>>
>>50264924
>that picture
Gas every one of those fuckers, burn their bodies and form their ashes into game pieces that they might actually contribute to boardgaming.
>>
>>50264924
Ok, see that's a lot better. What does it run on, how easy is it to write up a game for it?
>>
File: IMG_3988[1].jpg (234KB, 2016x1512px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3988[1].jpg
234KB, 2016x1512px
>>50226743
Anyone played this game? I like autistic recourse collection but Ive heard its too solitaire. Any games like it?
>>
>>50265128
>its too solitaire
Show one iota of weakness and you get fucking POUNCED on.
>>
>>50264729
I could actually see this being useful to boardgame at conventions and with strangers given I'm terrified what strangers will do to my components and how they'll treat my shit. Not to mention how easy it would make teaching the game. Sadly, THIS system is not good for that at all.
>Needs a wifi connection to play, always online DRM
>Cannot put your own shit on it
>$20-$30 a game makes it basically as expensive as the real thing in a lot of cases
Lastely, while I cannot think of too many work arounds for this, the smart phone thing will require that all players come prepared with smart phones and an installed app to interact with the board. Specifically, Android smart phones, meaning anyone with iPhones or Windows get left out. I guess I could buy dummy phones, but I really wish they would have just made a controller for the thing. A lot of thought went into this and I could live with 1 of these flaws, but all of them is too much.
>>
>>50265190
>>50265128
Added to this, if endgame is near it's a good idea to spread out and attack a hex with a lot of resources.
>>
Guys 40$ for King of Tokyo + Power Up expansion, 2nd hand from my 3rd world country.

Is it worth? it seems a bit to casual for me and my friends, but it can still get some play with new players, and everyone seem to think this game is a god send.
>>
>>50265947
The game is great filler for a larger group. The game gets more fun the more players I think. I prefer filler that works in smaller player counts because I use filler while we're at 3-4 out of 5 players waiting on the last of em to arrive or after the game when we're winding down, someone probably went home already and still in the mood for a lighter game. As such, my favorite fillers are Sushi Go Party and Onitama.

I do find King of Tokyo fun and if you ever play it, you need the power up expansion to make your monster choice actually interesting. Just generally though if I have enough players to make the game interesting, it's generally because we're ready to play the bigger games.
>>
>>50266134
We are a big group of 4~7 players, and right now the only "filler" we have is Smash Up for when someone is late or as an opener, thats why I thought of getting King of Tokyo.

I'm just afraid it wont see play, but I guess its one of those game you can always pop open with new people or as a gateway game.
>>
>>50266178
It sounds good for your group then. Once you get rolling, it plays really fast and simple, push your luck always tends to keep players watching and cheering. It won't be your favorite game by far thanks to it's light mechanics but people who are meh towards the game in my experience still generally play it. Don't treat it as a main attraction and it does great helping with downtime.
>>
GOODNIGHT SWEET PRINCE
>>
>Always seem to kickstart the wrong games
>Skipped Kingdom Death: Monster because I just couldn't forsee how they'd make such a complicated game good as well as friends were iffy on art style
>Kickstarted Super Dungeon Explore Legends instead of Conan
>Kickstarted Pixel Tactics instead of MIllenium Blades (Don't get me wrong Pixel Tactics is good, just not as good as Millennium Blades
>Kickstarted Tiny Epic Kingdom expack and Epic card game instead of LITERALLY ANYTHING ELSE

Only big hit I've gotten from KS has been Scythe.
>>
Continued here:
>>50266913
Thread posts: 327
Thread images: 41

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.