[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/bgg/ 2016 is almost over edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 305
Thread images: 44

File: bgg.jpg (488KB, 1203x837px) Image search: [Google]
bgg.jpg
488KB, 1203x837px
/bgg/ - Board Games General

Previous
>>50132999

Resources (reviewers, /tg/ groups, good online vendors, game accessories)
http://pastebin.com/NA2W929q

2016 is almost over edition
>best game experienced in 2016

>game delusion of 2016

>games you are looking for in 2017
>>
File: trump board game.jpg (4MB, 2500x2498px) Image search: [Google]
trump board game.jpg
4MB, 2500x2498px
Tell us about a time where you pulled off a crazy or totally unexpected win. Be it a brilliant move or a lucky roll or your opponents eliminating each other or just any victory that makes for a good story.

What have you played recently?

What are your top 3 games on your wishlist?

Do you generally prefer games where you win via combat and direct conflict or games where you win via more passive means such as economy and victory points? And what's your favorite game of each of these categories (combat/non-combat)?
>>
Played Inis for the first time, I liked it a lot and it's my favorite of the cyclades, kemet, inis triplets. I will qualify that with the fact that I don't like games in that genre though really.

Feudum's got me ready to buy
>>
>>50176267
>game delusion of 2016
Having enough money to buy every game that I want.
>>
What's your opinion on the dice-attack system in pic related? It's very different from any combat mechanic using dice I've ever played with. Though I must say I kinda like the sound of it. It involves some interesting decision making.

It's explained here at 4:45
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3SLagHrxIQ

To summarize:
You use six-sided dice that go from blank to 5. Blanks are lost. So if you roll/convert into a 5, and then choose to explode it, on a blank the entire die is lost. That includes the original 5.

Thus, if you need a 7 and roll a 5, 5, 4 and 2, you could
A) play it very safe and discard the 4 and 2 to upgrade a 5 to a 7 and then explode the other 5 in hopes that it will get a 2+
B) sacrifice the 2 to upgrade the 4 to a 5 and then explode your three 5s hoping for all three to come up higher than 2+.

The only thing I'm worried about is that the entire gameplay is a bit thin. How do you think it stands up to other fighting and skirmish games? It reminds me a bit of Mage Wars with minis instead of cards. And probably far more expensive. Reviews sound good but I don't know. What do you guys think?
>>
I'm looking for something that's like a dungeon crawler (killing baddies, leveling up, getting loot) that features a lot of interesting decisions, isn't too incredibly heavy, and isn't just an RPG-lite like descent or gloomhaven.

Anyone have any recommendations?
>>
>>50176312
The first time I ever won Twilight Imperium 3, I had to manipulate the entire table into hitting one guy. Mind you, this was years ago so my memory is hazy.

The Clan Of Saar was going to win in two rounds, claiming an easy objective early in the round, and next round all they had to do was claim a tech based public objective II to auto-win. Now, holding their home planets does not blcok them from VPs; the only option was to hunt down every last plastic piece on the board and kill it, eliminating him from contention. I made it my business to coordinate the entire table, orchestrating who could hit what and in what order. Mind you, it was still a longshot, he did not have a strong contiguous empire, but it was spread out enough that it would take luck, perfect cooperation, and two rounds to do it. The rest of the table was just too far behind.

Until I noticed I could claim my secret objective. I had already taken the Imperial two strategy card to try and catch up, but the table was rather despondent at stopping him, and he was getting more and more smug as our efforts hit some hiccoughs. The moment I realized I could hit 4 or 5 points to claim the win in the round that he would hit 8 points, I started sweating, heart was thumping in my chest. I own the game and never came close to winning. All I had to do was make sure the table did not notice and I had the game that round. So, after constantly talking, convincing, and pleading people to not just throw the game and wreck his shit, I start putting my plan into motion. Claim a point off of mecatol with Imperial II, check. Make sure I can also now get that sweet tech objective, check. Do whatever it was the secret objective required ( lord knows I cant remember it) check. By the time folks realized what was going on, they had spent most of their resources failing to kill Saar. Seeing the grin get wiped off his face when he realized he would not win was the cherry on top.

Haven't won since.
>>
Any suggestion for 5+ player/party games.
I have deception murder in hk, resistance, and cosmic.
Is sushi go party worth the 20 buckaroos?
>>
>>50177242
If you want a light drafting game, then sushi go is amazing and absolutely worth its msrp
>>
>>50177271
I have the original one, which i forgot to state. Is it worth the upgrade?
>>
>>50177242
Secret Hitler (do a PnP), Captain Sonar.

I've never played Resistance again after Secret Hitler.
>>
>>50177305
It definitely was for me. It would be like upgrading from star realms to Dominion with an expansion. It's great.
>>
I just moved and am trying to get my co-workers into board gaming but I only kept some heavier stuff when I moved. I want to get something that they can easily play but will wow them...

What would you recommend between Ticket To Ride 10th anniversary, Tokaido CE, and Takenoko Deluxe (which I can get a good deal on) .

Which would you recommend? I'm mainly looking for longevity and depth as I'd like to play it more than just to introduce new players.
>>
>>50177435
That doesn't quite work, Star Realms is a five-card-buy and Dominion is a all-card-buy (what are the actual terms for these again?).
It'd be like upgrading from Star Realms to Ascension.
I hate Ascension but everyone knows it's better than Star Realms.
>>
>>50177474
TtR. Takenoko is too random and Tokaido depends on whether your group likes weebshit or not.
I've never seen TtR not be a hit with casuals.
>>
>>50177489
I'm thinking any of them will be a hit, I was more wondering which I would like the most and that I won't get tired of after a couple plays.
>>
>>50177536
TtR. You can actually git gud at it, Takenoko is a randomfest and Tokaido is too susceptible to heuristic algorithmic play.
>>
>>50177611
Also note, Takenoko and Tokaido come with expansion(s).
I'll definitely look into ttr though.
>>
>>50177646
TtR has far more expansions which add far more to the game. It has two player maps, it has team maps, it has co-op maps, if it's a "thing" in board gaming there's probably a TtR map for it.
>>
>>50177672
Not for the 10th anniversary edition.
They also come with the other games, I didn't say "there are expansions available"...
>>
>>50176312
>recently played
met up with childhood neighbour last weekend and played DungeonQuest, always a good time

>top 3 wishlist
Zimby Mojo, Cave Evil: Warcults, Space Empires: 4X

on another note, I've stayed away from Kickstarters for years but I decided to back Dungeon Degenerates because the A E S T H E T I C S appeals way too much to me

>conflict or cube pushin
conflicts all the way, though I do enjoy Merchants & Marauders and 7 Wonders, and I did pick up AH Civilization a week ago and may or may not play it this weekend
>>
>>50176267
>>best game experienced in 2016
When I sold Mechs vs. Minions to a firend for $100.
Barring that, the three days where I played Scythe with an LCS owner all day and into the night.
>>game delusion of 2016
I was really looking forward to Vast.
Turns out it's just four people doing their own thing and then hey, look, someone won.
>>games you are looking for in 2017
The Gods War.
>>
>>50177926
7 Wonders is Hatedrafting: The Game, it's all about conflict.
>>
>>50178040
When playing with more than three, maybe four, hate drafting just ensures that someone else wins
>>
>>50178062
That's why everyone has to hatedraft.
>>
So many popular games are just old, shit games with a fresh coat of paint.

Fluxx is thematic bingo
Machi Koro is weeb craps
Tokaido is weeb candyland
Any other examples?
>>
>>50178109
Depends how much you want to ignore details I guess.

>Game X is just like Game Y! You start the game, a sequences of events occur according to some rules, then someone wins!

Everything looks the same if you abstract enough.
>>
>>50178109
Tokaido is a quite a bit more involved than Candyland, but overall you're right.
>>
File: collection.jpg (474KB, 1274x1018px) Image search: [Google]
collection.jpg
474KB, 1274x1018px
Learned to filter out expansions, now my list doesn't look as bloated as it really is!
>>
File: Hey, you're right.png (3MB, 1617x1455px) Image search: [Google]
Hey, you're right.png
3MB, 1617x1455px
>>50178186
>>
>>50178262
How's Terra Mystica compared to Scythe? I've played the latter and like it a lot.

I feel like I may have hit a ceiling with Eurogames. It seems like if I get anything more complicated than Scythe or Archipelago the playtime starts scaling faster than the enjoyment. Also heavier stuff (Terra Mystica, Caverna/Agricola) is said to have little/no player interaction, which I dislike.

Is there more Euro-influnced stuff like Eclipse around? Economy-management with heavy player interaction/conflict is great.
>>
>>50178329
Terra Mystica has a lot of player interaction, mostly consisting of sniping territories and using spare shovels to turn desirable territories you don't want into something the opponent can't easily use.
>>
>>50178329
Terra mystica is around the same or slightly less complex than archipelago
>>
>>50178395
I'd personally disagree with that statement. I'd say Archipelago is more complex that Terra Mystica.
>>
File: Capture.jpg (35KB, 586x421px)
Capture.jpg
35KB, 586x421px
>>50176267
Woot! Looks like SJG is actually making plastic minis happen for OGRE!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/847271320/ogre-miniatures-set-1

I was talking about this with another Anon a week or two ago. Well there goes my $$$ again.
>>
>>50176312
>What have you played recently?
Trying out Ortus Regni for free on steam. Pretty fun. Still on the fence about spending 80$ for a four player card game. Some neat ideas though.

>What are your top 3 games on your wishlist?
Mare Nostrum
Kemet
Falling Sky: The Gallic Revolt against Caesar

Now if only I could find all 3 in the same place online...and justify the expense.
>>
File: 1477101346009.png (746KB, 800x606px)
1477101346009.png
746KB, 800x606px
>>50179118
>mfw bought the last falling sky on cool stuff inc two days ago
>>
>>50179164
You're the bane! They also have Theseus for dirt cheap. Now I don't know if I want Theseus csi or falling Sky at mm.
>>
>>50178329
Terra Mystica is slightly more complex strategically than Scythe, since from the start of the game you can do EVERYTHING, and your turns are limited by the amount of things you can get yourself to do before you run out of resources to do anything and having to pass, instead of a single action per turn that must be different from the last one. This means the more experienced player will almost definitely do better than a newer one, since they will know how how to chain actions more optimally, thus getting to do more in a round.

The rules themselves aren't that more difficult, though it did make me realize how spoiled I was with how easy everything is presented in Scythe. Once you have a grasp of the rules, getting yourself into a groove and managing to chain your actions to make the most of each round is pretty fun. As for interaction, it has less than Scythe since there's no direct combat, but there's still resource denial (those things you need magic to use), taking hexes, and taking actions others may want (TM has a randomized thingy where you can choose out of 5 things to get benefits during the start of a new round, closest comparison in Scythe is taking encounter cards).

I'd say give it a try if you can at the very least, it's definitely something. I liked it, but I probably can't play it as frequently as I can with Scythe due to information overload I feel.
>>
>>50179468
Bane?
>>
>>50179164
>MM has it for $50
I BACKED THE WRONG HORSE
>>
>>50179651
I hear he's a big guy.
>>
>>50178713
That's what I said.
>>
>>50179596
Is Scythe worth it if you didn't get the blinged out Kickstarter version?
>>
The best cube pusher of 2017 is up on kickstarter right now.
I've gotten to play Feudum a few times already in prototype form and damn is it a good game. Feels like a massively less confusing and fiddly Lacerda game with all of the nuances and meaningful decisions and a few very clever mechanical designs.

A foil box tier though? Kickstarter is a weird place.
>>
>>50179995
The only kickstarter exclusives were a numbered box and (maybe) the art book. You can still bling it out to your heart's content. There's nothing really super necessary in the upgrades unless you want the game to take up more room on your table or metal coins.
>>
>>50180018
I said "really super necessary" when I really meant "necessary at all, to even the smallest degree"
>>
>>50180026
Stonemaier doesn't believe in exclusives, you can buy everything from their store. I can't say I've found anything to be necessary, the only game-changing promos I can think of are the encounter and factory cards, and those offer variety rather than being necessary since they're randomly drawn each game.

You could say the metal coins are necessary in the sense that you'd never want to play with cardboard monies (in ANY game) any more after playing with the coins I suppose.
>>
File: LIAR.png (13KB, 241x25px) Image search: [Google]
LIAR.png
13KB, 241x25px
>>50180128
>Stonemaier doesn't believe in exclusives, you can buy everything from their store.
>>
>>50180219
pls
>>
File: 1478721213406s.jpg (3KB, 125x109px)
1478721213406s.jpg
3KB, 125x109px
Repost from last thread.
Rate my games as a new player.
Next stop might be co-op or Euro if I find something that isnt a borefest.
>>
>>50180516
Ants/10
>>
>>50180516
4 ants
>>
>>50180516
the only thing smaller than your collection is that picture.
>>
File: bigants.png (429KB, 698x612px)
bigants.png
429KB, 698x612px
>>50180544
>>50180687
>>50180839
Sorry guys, did it on my phone.
>>
>>50181089
The only thing smaller than that picture is your collection
>>
>>50181089

I like Smash up and Cosmic Encounter ok; but that gamelist just isnt my jam.
>>
>>50176868
Wow that looks terrible. The original game was already bad but now they decided to fill the box with 8 pounds of plastic to justify the price. It looks very nice, especially the figures, but the gameplay sounds awful. If you wanna fight using figures then go for the new Conan game. No idea what they were thinking with this garbage though.
>>
>>50180516
casual, casual, casual
casual, casual
casual, casual, REX

I mean throw something between CE and Rex (like Kemet)
>>
>>50181601
I know there is a bit of an overlap, mostly because I find most Euro games boring to death.
Just sitting there and scoring while occasionally leaving your opponent with a super minor set back just doesn't click with me, same goes with co-op, I just dont find it fun (though I only watched videos).

I thought of getting Lords of Waterdeep and Pandemic just to try them out sometimes.

Its mostly casual stuff because I am a new player and all of my friends are new to this as well, so I gotta hook them and myself into it before I buy something like TI3
>>
>>50181651
What euro games have you tried? Trying to build a good engine or figuring out how to get the most scores can be pretty fun as a puzzle of sorts. If you want an interactive one that isn't too heavy, Between Two Cities has you negotiating to get the tiles you want.

In any case, you're doing right by getting the games that interest you first, you can branch out later. If you have the opportunity to try out new games though, seize it, you might like something that you didn't expect you would.
>>
>>50181651
Not saying casual is bad there's just a huge jump between Rex and Cosmic Encounter and you don't have anything in the middle.

If you don't like euros try:
- Kemet
- Legendary (deckbuilders)
- Smallworld
- Chaos in the Old World
>>
>>50176337
Oh... Inis is from Matagot... Shit now I want it.

Kemet is one of the best games I played.
Cyclades are...OK.
>>
/bgg/, I need games that are great for two, plays around half an hour or less, preferably though not necessary lighter than chess. Any recs?
Already considered Jaipur, Hive, Duke.
>>
File: FloorGoban.jpg (615KB, 1137x1101px) Image search: [Google]
FloorGoban.jpg
615KB, 1137x1101px
>>50182112
>>
>>50182112
Neuroshima: Hex.
Imperial Settlers is a little bit longer at 2 but is super sweet
>>
>>50182124
Do you often end Go under 30 minutes?

>>50182137
I have actually have Neuroshima: Hex :D
I feel like you are the anon who often recs N:H, Imperial Settlers, and "the Convoy" (not sure if I've spelt that right)
>>
>>50182172
>Do you often end Go under 30 minutes?
30~ minutes isn't unusual for causal games.
>>
>>50182172
You could easily have a 9x9 game last that long
>>
>>50181812
Rex was kind of a binge buy, it came back in stop for a brief period and it was super cheap, so I got it since I really want to play it even though its super heavy.
>>50181774
Ill check them out, thought I already watched and read reviews for most of these games.
>>
>>50181812
I remember seeing smallworld before, a mix of Risk and Smash Up.

Looks nice but doesn't really feel different from Smash Up so much that its worth buying, id rather branch a bit further.
>>
>>50182172
Well I do recommend N:H and Imperial Settlers but I haven't played Convoy.

There aren't that many 2 player games that can be played in about 30 minutes, though.

I mean you could try Welcome to the Dungeon, other duel games (Netrunner, Summoner Wars I don't suspect Mage Arena would take 30 minutes) or deckbuilders for 2p

>>50182335
Ah makes sense.
>>
So what do you guys think of "The Edge: Dawnfall" from kickstarter?
>>
Anyone knows of a good way of setting up initiative order?

I got a game of 6 players that constantly needs to shuffle and handle initiative cards to base turns, is there a faster way?
>>
File: 367567.jpg (198KB, 705x600px) Image search: [Google]
367567.jpg
198KB, 705x600px
Which one should I get? I know that they are very different but I like all of them and can't decide.

Which one?
>>
>>50182900
Initiative track? If it needs to be random just put it into a cloth bag and pick out the tiles at random.

>>50183236
I played 3/6 of them

For me:
Dominant Species > Terra Mystica >>> Roll for the Galaxy

Roll isn't even close. DS is my long time favorite euro/borderline war game and TM is my favorite euro.

That said and trying to be objective:

If you have dedicated people for it:
Dominant Species > Terra Mystica > Roll for the Galaxy

If you play with random people
Terra Mystica > Roll for Galaxy > Dominant Species

Ease of explaining to first timers:
Dominant Species > Terra Mystica > Roll for the Galaxy

Gotchas in the rules (after the first game):
Terra Mystica = Roll for the Galaxy > Dominant Species

Comfy factor:
Terra Mystica > Roll for the Galaxy > Dominant Species

Fiddlyness:
Terra Mystica > Roll for the Galaxy > Dominant Species

Down time:
Roll for the Galaxy > Dominant Species > Terra Mystica

Player interaction
Dominant Species >>> Terra Mystica > Roll for the Galaxy
>>
>>50183236
>Which one should I get?
Yes!

(OK, to be helpful I'd suggest Roll for the Galaxy for the fact that it is fairly easy to teach and fairly fast to play out - 45 minutes or less for a typical game - and still allows significant player choices, but not a lot of direct player interaction, i.e. Euro style play rather than Ameritrash. This means no one gets eliminated early and has to sit out the rest of the game.
>>
>>50183291
Not the same anon but could you brief me up on Dominant Species?
>>
>>50183557
Dominant Species is a "god game" in which you are personally responsible for one of the animal groups:

> Mammals
> Birds
> Reptiles
> Amphibians
> Arachnids
> Insects

The goal of the game is to score the most VP. The game is played on hex tiles, on the corner of the tiles there may be some resources that your animals may adapt to (eg grass, grubs, sun etc). Like I said you don't control animals instead you control an entire animal groups e.g your animal group is birds - the singular cubes might be hawks, eagles so on and so forth.

The main mechanism of the game is action selection via action pawns. In the planing phase players set up their action pawns in initiative order and then in the execution phase execute those actions. Actions are ordered and some actions "execute" before others.

Initiative is pretty important. In a 6 player game for example you might not get the Domination action which is very powerful, so the 6th players might want to settle for tactics that don't use domination or be in a constant battle for initiative.

The game usually lasts about 5-6 rounds, 2-3hrs.

The order of the actions is:

Intiative -> Adaptation -> Regression -> Abundance -> Wasteland -> Depletion -> Glaciation -> Speciation -> Wanderlust -> Migration -> Competition -> Domination

[1/3]
>>
>>50184054

> Domination
Is the main scoring mechanism of the game. One one field you dominate (i.e are most adapted animal group at) you score people by the amount of cubes there are on that tile. More importantly you get to choose one of the five domination cards.

The cards are very powerful. They can give you additional action points, add/remove adaptations, and fuck everyone and everyone that stands near them. Sometimes literally e.g the cataclysm card can kill off multiple species (the cubes) on a tile and single cubes on neighboring tiles. Other lets you kill off any opponent in the tundra.

> Competition
Is basically fighting - it allows you to kill other species on some fields.

> Migration
Allows you to move your species from one field to another

> Wanderlust
Allows you to "explore" and add another tile to the game. Also a way of scoring points.

> Speciation
Allows you add new species of your animal group (i.e new cubes)

> Glaciation
Lets you fuck someone up by changing their terrain into tundra. This has two effects - it kills of most of their species, may starve them from resources. It's also a way of scoring points.

> Depletion
Allows you to remove one resource anywhere on earth

> Wasteland
Allows you to remove all resources of one type that touch the tundra

> Abundance
Allows you to add a resource

> Regression
If you don't take this action you might regress an adoptation you got in...

> Adaptation
You adapt to a resource

> Initiative
Move up on the initiative track and move your AP to a free space.

[2/3]
>>
>>50184065
To win the game you usually have to do it by "fuck you" tactics. Because domination cards are so powerful (and some well placed actions too like competition, depletion, wasteland and glaciation) you might get booted out of a region completely if you don't mitigate and aren't an aggressive bastard too.

In a single round you must be aware off a shitload of things:

> Domination Cards
Which domination card can you realistically get with your initiative. How to mitigate the effects of other domination cards (spread out your animals for example)

> How many animals will you have on tiles that score
This can be influenced by people moving from/to your tile, people attacking you from competition etc

> Do you have domination on any tile
Domination is counted by summing the resources and the amount of adaptations to the resource your animal has. Domination can change in two ways - some species adapt to the resources that surround the tile OR resources change. But when you dominate a tile it's scored by the *AMOUNT* of animals (and not how well adapted they are)

This adds a certain dimensionality to play. Ideally you want to dominate the tiles that you will also get the biggest amount of points... while not giving the second player a boost. The adaptation of your competitor's species may change, the resources can change.

For me, this is the essence of the game. You have so many things that can fuck you over (and that you can fuck other people over) that the winner will be the person that's at the same time best at mitigating dangers from other players.

I've seen a lot of tactics like trying to go aggressive on the Tundra (it gives you amount of points almost exponentially proportional to the amount of tundra tiles you occupy). Never going through domination but trying to score second/third places in domination. Not adapting being highly but picking a shitload of fights, scoring points through wonderlust and other "passive" options etc.

[3/3]
>>
>>50184065
>> Glaciation
>... it kills of most of their species ...

Iirc it only removes species from the board back to the player's species pool, not out of the game, so it's not quite as "fuck-you" as other moves.

Other than that, good posts
>>
>>50184345
Yeah didn't want to get into particular mechanics just that it allows you to fuck someone standing in a place.

Forgot to mention that tundra tiles also score for less when dominated.
>>
>>50184092
>>50184065
>>50184054
Wow thanks for the in-depth! I supppose it's a little bit "too agressive" (whatever that means) for my group, but it looks interesting anyway.
>>
>>50184065
Damn, that makes me really want this game
>>
File: ahDSC00034m.jpg (100KB, 464x600px)
ahDSC00034m.jpg
100KB, 464x600px
Anybody on /tg/ play Arkham Horror?

I considered starting a new thread asking but it's my first time here and I didn't want to break any rules.

I got it for my sister for christmas, it sounds like a shitload of fun but I'm worried about how it will actually play out.

Anyone have any experience?
>>
>>50184843
nah i only play fully expanded talisman
>>
>>50184805
Beware it's quite heavy and for some reason people seem to dislike it... at least in my group.

> tfw you haven't managed to play Dominant Species since last year
>>
>>50184843
>That picture
I'm vomiting just thinking about that. The base game is fun. Those expansions that add more to the board are suuuuuch a headache. So much is happening, you can't just throw all those extra mechanics you have to keep track of in the middle of trying to put out all the regular fires.
>>
>>50185335
Well my wife already got Black Goat of the Woods and Lurker at the Threshold, don't plan on using them until we've done the base game for a few weeks, but they sound like interestng additions
>>
>>50185479
Well I wish you luck and hope for the best. Maybe they got better with it over time. Innsmouth for me was what killed the game for me.
>>
>>50181812
>- Legendary (deckbuilders)
I didn't know we have an /a/-tier hatred of neophytes.
>>
>>50181904
Just get it second hand dude.
>>
>>50185587
What's wrong with legendary?

>>50185602
It will probably get a Polish edition soon for next to nothing. Which reminds me I should probably buy Ta-seti.
>>
File: mare nostrum.jpg (256KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
mare nostrum.jpg
256KB, 700x700px
Been seeing this mentioned in these threads a lot lately. Is it really that great? What makes it so good?
>>
>>50185583
How shitty are the cardboard punchout pieces? Considering getting marble or vynil replacements
>>
>>50185727
STEEV has an incredible run down on what makes it so good one or two threads ago, check the archived threads. He'd best just copy paste that anyway. It convinced me i need this in my collection.
>>
>>50185727
>>50185897
STEEV GET OVER HERE
>>
>>50186058
Nigga can't you follow simple directions? It's in the previous thread.

Who let the retard out of the cage?
>>
>>50185897
Thanks, I did. Sounds very cool. I'll watch some videos on it.
>>
File: done.jpg (49KB, 600x1213px) Image search: [Google]
done.jpg
49KB, 600x1213px
>>50186058
>>
>>50186523
What makes it better than Clash of Cultures or Scythe?
>>
>>50186580
Faster than both in my experience so far, though scythe isn't too far behind.
Clash of Cultures is a great deal less elegant and more random.
Both are much less political, especially in trade, and lower on player interaction.
I like Mare Nostrum's multiple victory paths a lot better, and I also think it has stronger expression of player agency. Clash of cultures does more to kick over your sand castle, so to speak.

But I also don't think comparisons are totally fair, clash of cultures is more of a 4x game like the big name space ones, scythe is a point engine builder. Mare nostrum is more of a political/military area control game with a really strong trade element. And it doesn't even begin to compete with Scythe's art, pretty as the board still is.
>>
>>50186784
It seems like it makes you really feel like you control and shape an empire. Does it do that well? And what games would you compare it to?
>>
>>50186858
It does do that well, within the scope of the game. It doesn't have you advancing through ages or developing radical technologies, it's not a civilization game. I'd sooner compare it to the cyclades/kemet/inis series, or even el grande, but with stronger political and long-term planning elements at the expense of slightly less frequent and less dramatic combat.
>>
>>50186932
>>50186784
Other guy but thanks for the rundown. I guess now I must get both Inis and Mare Nostrum...and friends to play with
>>
>>50186932
Can you tell me what some viable alternatives to Mare Nostrum are? I want to look around a bit since I never had a game of that genre and would like to know what's out there and see if other themes are among them.
>>
>>50187766
You could look up Mare Nostrum on Board Game Geek, and then follow the label links to other games of it's genre.
>>
>>50185189
My group plays long games every other week, our last few were Terra Mystica, Eclipse, and Vinhos Deluxe 2016 vintage. Do you think they'll handle it well?
>>
>>50187980
Yeah I think that if Terra Mystica and Eclipse are ok Dominant Species isn't out of the question.
>>
File: 1370689896023.png (259KB, 640x480px)
1370689896023.png
259KB, 640x480px
>Half of game group bails tonight for perfectly reasonable reasons.
>Other half folds because first half did.
>This is the fifth time in a row this has happened.
>>
>>50189281
I know this pain. It's been a month since I got a game night going, really feeling the withdrawals.
>>
>>50189281
Pay for my flight or come to San B.
>>
>>50189427
Don't tempt me.
>>
>>50189825
Fuck that, come to Montreal. It'll be like you're in a faux-Europe for a couple of days. Bring Star Trek!
>>
>>50187045
I'll play with you anon. I'll even bring over my copy of mare nostrum, and we can have two games simultaneously.
when I finally pull the trigger [\spoiler]
>>
>>50190159
Honestly I'm tempted but I want to see where Calexit goes first.
>>
>>50190342
The same way Tex-seccion went.
>A Bloo Bloo Bloo cascadia
>>
>>50190385
Both of us should secede and form the Amalgamated Bipolar Republic.
>>
Do most people here also partake in other /tg/ shit (RPGs, MTG) or are board games engaging enough on their own
>>
>>50191311
I used to play MTG and I used to play D&D but now it's just boardgames. A little too much organization and obsession required for the other two, brings out people I'd rather not play with.
>>
>>50191311
I draft MTG every Tuesday.
>>
>>50191311
Play board games whenever someone can't make it to RPG night.
>>
>>50191311
I have Netrunner on the side, which actually helps in staving off impulse board game purchases.
>>
>>50191311
I used to play MTG, but quit when I got into netrunner. I simply could no longer justify the CONSTANT price just to stay up to date, not when I found out about the LCG format. I am thinking of building a cube however to scratch the old itch.

other than that I also play D&d 4E, and collect and paint minis.
>>
>>50189281
>First time organizing a session today
>Spend hours on research, making high quality PnP versions of games and bought 3 different games
>Informed everyone 2 weeks in advance, made sure everyone knows the date and time and everyone are ok with it
>3 days before the day 3 people scheduled work and 3 others just don't want to come.

Fuck those motherfuckers.
>>
>>50190229
Hope you have cheap tickets to Poland
>>
File: mythic battles.jpg (798KB, 680x2985px)
mythic battles.jpg
798KB, 680x2985px
Is this mini overkill? Do they think plastic grows on trees? How much is too much? How big is too big? I bet they could produce the game for half the cost if they used standees or cards instead of plastic figures.
>>
File: 67b - Copie.jpg (71KB, 600x450px)
67b - Copie.jpg
71KB, 600x450px
>>50193017
>Standees
>>
>>50193017
Never heard of that game, turns out it's not even available. I saw there's an old Mythic Battles game but this is obviously the new one that's on Kickstarter right now.

>$732,791 pledged of $80,000 goal
>20 days to go
Anyone mind telling me why this game is so fucking successful? It's just a skirmish game. You literally just fight each other using creatures. There's nothing special about this game! Just get Summoner Wars you morons! How the fuck is this so successful? I know people keep falling for games that only stand out because of their minis but this is insane. People don't care about mechanics and gameplay anymore, it's just about visuals and components. This mindset is destroying the modern board game hobby.
>>
>>50193096
I dunno i liked the gallerist
>>
>>50193096
Welcome to the videogame industrying of board games.
>>
>>50193096
>STOP LIKING WHAT I DON'T LIKE REEEEE
>>
>>50193096
I don't really see how games like this on Kiclstarter are impacting other, more interesting games. Even on Kickstarter they exists and are successfully funded quite regularly. In the more standard publishing world games are being designed and made as normal.

I also don't see too much wrong with projects that are largely about the miniatures. There are plenty of companies that have produced miniature wargames that have mostly been a figurine pushing platform with a game attached for years.

This company in particular, I backed Conan for the game itself and I absolutely love it, it's fantastic. Many presentation and language complaints and some rough edges, but an excellent game. I can't speak for MB:P, it doesn't seem that interesting, but it is probably not because of an inherent laziness, just a poor design.

I'd say the ridiculous over pricing and Asmodee monoply is a far greater worry.
>>
>>50193017
There seems to be a lot of hype but I'm not sure if the gameplay will be able to carry the expectations. Might be another case of Mage Wars. Sounds awesome on paper and looked good and look where it's now. Nobody ever mentions it let alone plays it. I never see it getting recommended. Might be a dead game. They probably don't even make expansions for it anymore.
>>
>>50193400
Huh? I thought Mage Wars was fun.
>>
>>50193017
>>50193096
>>50193214
>>50193400
Why all the hate/doubt? I think the game looks fantastic. Clever combat mechanic using dice, cool abilities, lots of different scenarios, campaign for up to 4 players, team skirmish, terrain matters, some units can even throw certain terrain(!), awesome theme and presentation, etc. Sure it's a matter of taste but I love what I'm seeing. Honestly considering backing this.
>>
>>50193407
Yes, Mage Wars is fun, but I think what anon was talking about is how lately there's no real news about it. Seems like they're mostly 'done' with it.
>>
>>50193096
I keep teetering on and off about late pledging to Glorantha. It looks awesome and I don't yet even have a dudes on a map type game, but it is quite a chunk of coin.
>>
Hey /tg/.

I've been thinking about picking up Assassinorum Execution Force for me and my friends to play, but given that the thing is really expensive, I'd like to hear your opinions on it first.

Is it worth the price? How complicated is it (these guys are used to games like Pandemic)? Does it have any kind of longevity? We probably won't play it more than once every month or so.
>>
>>50194898
What do you like about it? I watched that long demo game video a few days ago and I think it looks really dull. I am also looking for a cool war game using minis so can you sell it to me?
>>
first time playing a five-player session of Kemet, three of them who have never played it before and the other had only played it once, game was tight as hell until the end. I fucked up with playing my cards in combat on the last round and ended up fourth, still had immense fun though

>>50191311
don't have the time commitment for RPGs, but I do play MTG casually and competitively (Legacy is the best format and every other sanctioned format is trash) though I'm currently in the process of selling 90% of my collection to get into Force of Waifus and to continue funding my board game habit, especially with the upcoming KD:M kickstarter
>>
>>50193597
Just haven't looked much into it to be honest. I really like the God of War style and like I said, their previous game Conan is probably my favourite ine that I own.
>>
>>50193597
You know, I'm really considering it too. Love that theme. But I'm already backing the new Shadows of Brimstone set... Please have mercy on my wallet...
>>
>>50194996
You get one mission, which is good and fun the first time, but the only thing that changes from game to game is slightly randomizing the rooms at the beginning. Even with that change, it feels like replaying a level in a videogame over and over again.

Overall, not worth buying unless you can get it real cheap, since it will feel stale after 2-3 plays at best. As far as complexity goes, it's more complex than Pandemic, but they should be able to play it with no issues.
>>
>>50193096

I'm just sick of it shitting up the hot threads section on board game geek. Even the threads criticizing it get double-digit upvotes from what I can only assume is a shill-squad.
>>
>>50194996
A.E. is really just GW's way of getting 40K fans to buy 40K minis in bulk. The game is largely just an excuse to package together minis that are desirable with stuff you might never use and then convince you to buy it all. I like the Genestealer Cults, but if I bought Death Watch I surely wouldn't expect much from the board game and would simply buy it for the minis.
>>
>>50195044
Well I really like cthulhu wars, it was just a little simple for what I want in a $200+ game. The Gods War looks like it ups the complexity a little bit and has even more unique asymmetric factions. I also don't really like the cthulhu mythos cash in, it's certainly a place to pull giant monsters from but it's just stupid big dudes know the map and I'm tired of lazy cthulhu slapped on stuff.
Another turn off is dice based combat that can be pretty swingy based on luck.

I feel like it will scratch that miniatures game itch that I've been missing since I stopped playing warmachine/Hordes while having a little less hobbyist rules memorization and a little more modern rules (and multi-player!)

My main worry is it might just be a dumb dudes on a map game, is it really better than Kemet/Inis or is it just all about the minis?
>>
>>50196181
Sounds like Mythic Battles Pantheon would be a perfect fit. What disqualifies it?
>>
>>50196354
Because that's not a game I can give a rules explanation of and get down to playing in an easy evening, it's also way closer to parts of mini war games that I don't like (the units are mostly only superficially differentiated). It's also a two player skirmish game with scenarios and multiplayer bolted on, at least that's how it feels.
>>
>>50196354
I said I didn't want "stupid" throw your pieces together combat and that's all that game is.
>>
>>50197221
>>50197198
Are there good games that offer cool mini combat like that while also offering more? Like economy or building?
>>
Hi /tg/,

I've a board game ready to market. This product is awesome. I've made I think around 1400 copies and still have close to 400. As Mr. Trump becomes president and new policies are implemented, the game demonstrates the values and direction the USA will be taking. I'm not a marketing pro, I'm a designer/creator. I've held this in the attic for a long time and I feel now is the time. I'm seeking /tg/ advice as to my best next steps. Thanks.
>>
>>50197537
Pay someone who is a marketing pro and take it to kickstarter.
>>
>>50197605
Good advice. Ty.
>>
>>50197268
That's pretty much what I've always been looking for
>>
File: 637567.jpg (86KB, 833x768px) Image search: [Google]
637567.jpg
86KB, 833x768px
>>50197775
Not just you, friend.
>>
>>50197268
Does StarCraft and/or Forbidden Stars count? TI3? What consitutes a mini game?
>>
>>50198050
That's pretty much what Eclipse is to be fair
>>
>>50198267
Not what I want. Eclipse is a euro with some combat while I want primarily combat with economy.
>>
>>50198304
If that's what you want then sell your firstborn and get StarCraft with the expansion. You won't regret it.
>>
Yo /bgg/, I just had my first session with my friends (all new) and it went great!!
We played a quick round of Smash Up and one round of Cutthroat Caverns, totaling at about 3 hours all in all.

Super fun and excited to go on, thank you guys for helping with game picks, tips, and what not.

We might group up again tomorrow, start up with Smash Up and go into Cosmic Encounter.
>>
>>50184843
I played it many times and had fun. It is not very popular on /tg/ and probably for good reasons: too randoom, too long to play, too long to install, etc.

It is more like a relic from the past at this point because better games are now on the market, starting with eldritch horror (did not play that one yet).
>>
>>50199174
Nice to hear Israelbro, hope boardgaming gives you and your friends a lot of fun, memorable experiences.
Also, don't let them get used to you paying for everything, have them share or get them interested enough to do their own research and buy their own stuff.

>broke as fuck
>started buying games to play with friends because it's cheaper than drinking
>fast forward 2 years
>own 90 games
>friends have bought 4
>they overlap
>they'd still rather go drink themselves senseless
mistakes were made
>>
>>50201356
>>they'd still rather go drink themselves senseless
>mistakes were made

Time to upgrade to 'Friends v2.0'
>>
File: Mythic Battles Pantheon2.jpg (6MB, 4060x4416px) Image search: [Google]
Mythic Battles Pantheon2.jpg
6MB, 4060x4416px
Are you ready for the most epic mini skirmisher ever?
>>
>>50202239
>kickstarter
>miniatures
>skirmish game
>exclusives
nope.rar
>>
>>50202529
>>50202239
If I'm going to pay ten billion dollars for twenty pounds of pussy and minis it'll be Gods War.
>>
>>50202575
That's what I was looking at before I found out about Mythic Battles. I'm not sure about. I always wanted an epic dudes-on-a-map game with nice figures but God War just couldn't convince me. Maybe I should read and watch more about it. Can you give me some bullet points about the game? What's great about it?
>>
what was best euro of 2016
>>
>>50202613
That it's basically CitOW but more, bigger, and battle happens when you choose to rather than at fixed intervals.
>>
>>50201407
Yeh, I know, but besides straight up recruiting new gamers or traveling 120 miles to the nearest meetup, there's no alternative near me.
>>
>>50191311
I've got a nice split on my group. Friend 1 does rpgs, friend 2, 3, and 4 do magic, and I'm the boardgame man. I get all my rpg resources from friends 1, and sometimes I use my shitty cheap commander deck, but for the most part I just attend my friends magic drafts and give him the cards when we're done. I haven't felt the need to invest there in years.

All of us split up game nights pretty evenly. Magic gets a little more love than I'd like as they get to play that outside the group plenty as is and the rest of us aren't as enamored by it, but for the most part we do all 3 surprisingly well for a group of adults with lives.
>>
>>50202239
I bought one mini crazy kickstarter already with Dark Souls. I don't feel the need to jump on the mini crazy train number 20 at this point.
>>
>>50201356
How did you know Im an Israeli if I may ask?
Also, I already told them all to start digging into it and finding games they like, the response was something along the line of "We already have the 4 games you got, we wont play them once and leave them".

I didn't want to push the subject, ill bring it up next time.

Its not like you play the same games every weekend, I think once or twice a month is good enough.
>>
>>50205240
not him, but you mentioned it in another thread when you talked about the price of games/shipping
>>
>>50205270
Thanks senpai, I was sure it was some sort of meme magic.

anyway back to the point, how many games do you think a group of 4~6 should have?

Seeing as we play about 2 games (1 long and one short) per session, and if we have 2 sessions a month, I am thinking something along the line of 6 games?
>>
>>50176312
>Playing Axis and Allies for the second time ever
>Still a complete nab, struggling with the basic concept, let alone any strategy
>Rest of the group do this on the regular, A&A pros
>Countries picked for us at random
>I get Germany
>Sehr fucking gut.
>Start out with a massive blitzkrieg since I saw it work last time
>Try to invade shit, get shut down at every opportunity
>Have to advance into Africa
>Meanwhile Japan is doing quite good for himself, steamrolling USSR
>I get absolutely annihilated. Bad dice rolls+no concept of strategy.
>Some rounds in I'm left with one tank and some transport ships
>Allies now focusing on taking down Ăśbernip in Asia while I get to sit in the corner and watch the big boys play
>A small plan forming as my turn rolls up
>I choose to move my remaining tank down into Africa, saying I'm doing it for shits and giggles ("Heh, retreating to Namibia guys! Just like the Nazis did guys! heh")
>Japan just won't go down, USSR is out, Allies in full-scale war
>My turn again; time to do this shit.
>I transport my lone tank from Africa right into the USA - smack dab at Washington DC.
>Uncle Sam has NO troops in his country. He hadn't been threatened once in-game and was focusing Japan in the west.
>Stunned silence as Allies realize that GĂĽnther Schrankelkuchen the Tank Operator now controls the US Capitol.
>If I hold that shit for one turn it's game day baby
>Allies now scrambling to scrounge up a single unit in range to take down my invading Panzerwagen in one turn
>Only they're all on the other side of the world
>US gets one fighter in, I get massively lucky with my dice and manage to defend my new American home
>Allies, with hordes of armies at their disposal, sit shamed in silence as my brave Kraut renders them impotent
>US lost
>Japan pushes
>Flaccid Ally dicks all around
>Game: Axis

Best gaming moment to date. Still not a better A&A player, though.
>>
>>50185587
>>50185711

Bumping the question. What's wrong with Legendary - I wanted to buy it soon.
>>
>>50205398
>how many games should my group own?
>6 games
>2 plays per month
That's entirely up to you and your friends, but if you're half as obsessive about boardgames as most of the anons lurking /bgg/, you can expect that number to be much, much higher.
There are some games that will be played 1-2 times per year, if at all, games we played 2 times and stored forever or stuff that never got its shrink wrap removed and still we'd not get rid of em
>>
>>50205398
All yours to decide. How fast your collection grows and how interested your friends are in more games is up to you. I've got a comfier life than some and can afford to make a purchase every 4 game nights. I wait 4 game nights as an arbitrary limit i out on myself to keep myself from going crazy. Usually that means once a month, I rarely do faster than that.
>>
>>50206185
It's a deckbuiler. Some people find them too samey, like once you've played one, you've played them all and just the skin changes. Other than that,there's nothing wrong with Legendary, IMO, fun, light, well paced game.

That being said, Legendary Encounters Alien and Predator are the ones in the series that got the highest rankings/most praise, though I suspect that's entirely because of the sci-fi theme.
>>
>>50207336
Saw this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AL2FkgZNHpk
and Legendary and Clank looked the most interesting. Thanks for chipping in.
>>
>>50207389
Keep an eye out for Helionox, it's a rare gem, might get a second printing and an expansion this year.
>>
File: 65246456.jpg (705KB, 1257x1375px) Image search: [Google]
65246456.jpg
705KB, 1257x1375px
>>50202239
Some of the god minis painted. Zeus, Ares, Athena, Hades
>>
>>50207336
I wonder why Trains doesn't get more mentions, it's one of the few deckbuilders (only?) where the action happens on a board. Maybe the lackluster theme?
>>
File: 54276466.jpg (1MB, 1917x1626px)
54276466.jpg
1MB, 1917x1626px
>>50207825
Spartan troop, Atalanta hero, Hercules hero, Eurytion hero, Odysseus hero
>>
File: 25464566.jpg (928KB, 1917x1340px) Image search: [Google]
25464566.jpg
928KB, 1917x1340px
>>50207860
And now some monsters. Minotaur. Cerberus, Medusa, Hydra, Nemean Lion
>>
>>50207828
Clank and Tyrants of the Underdark also have the off board actions. I'm guessing there's more
>>
>>50207828
I've heard nothing but good stuff about Trains, was gonna get it and the expansion at the last MM sale, but ended up ordering FoD because OOP panic got me.
Guess theme can cause a really solid game to be unremarkable.
>>
>>50207825
That pectoral ripping is so damned unrealistic...
>>50207860
Yep, naked torsos are not this sculptor's strong suit.
>>50207879
These I like.
>>
>>50207879
That hydra looks great. Love the design.
>>
>>50207336

>I suspect that's entirely because of the sci-fi theme.

Not entirely, there's a few nuances in the gameplay that makes it better, more thematic. Also it's 100 % coop, unlike Marvel which is "coop but most points at the end of the game wins !" (many players argue that they ignore the stupid rule, but there's quite a few character decks that have "fuck with your neighbor" cards that makes them obsolete)
>>
File: 68568.png (350KB, 639x444px) Image search: [Google]
68568.png
350KB, 639x444px
>>50207860
>Eurytion
>hero
>>
>>50177101
Why would anyone play TI3 when Eclipse exists? I can see TI2, but never 3...
>>
>>50182480
>Edge
Just noticed somebody talking about it on Facebook. Didn't know it was by Oracz, would have at least taken a look.

Dunno, I dislike games you need to sell your kidney to play. Also seems exclusively 1v1 and I don't really have anyone with whom I could play.

Also Cry Havok kind of let me down so I'd be afraid of this going the same way.
>>
>>50209605
Because they're significantly different games and appeal to different target audiences, maybe?
>>
>>50209605
>Why would anyone play TI3 when Eclipse exists?

For a very long long list of reasons... As a Space 4x fan who owns an number of 4x board games including Eclipse with all expansions and TI3 with all expansions, I will point out without fear of contradiction that Eclipse is NOT a grand strategy game like TI3. Eclipse has ZERO significant political mechanics and because of this it is lacking an entire dimension that TI3 has in spades (including a variety of additional 'win conditions' for various races that Eclipse lacks). Eclipse is also plagued by a totally random tech advancement system. A player may have excellent strategic skills, and be utterly destroyed by bad dice rolls in combat and/or bad luck in the tech draws / tech buy phases of the game. I enjoy Eclipse for what it is, but failing to grasp the rather large difference between the two is simply put - your problem.

>>50209668
>Because they're significantly different games and appeal to different target audiences, maybe?

Ya think? ;)
>>
File: 5476366.jpg (233KB, 930x530px) Image search: [Google]
5476366.jpg
233KB, 930x530px
>over 1000% funded after not even 2 weeks

The future of game boxes that weigh well over 10 pounds is looking brighter every day. Minis are the future. You better get used to it.
>>
File: Collection 11-12-16.png (2MB, 1552x836px) Image search: [Google]
Collection 11-12-16.png
2MB, 1552x836px
Burn 3
Steal 3
Add 3
>>
>>50211415
I really like that Kickstarter is bringing back the ABSOLUTELY DECADENT trend in games.

I really missed games with crazy components like Heroquest or Fireball Island...
>>
>>50211686
>disregard gameplay and mechanics
>GIVE US MORE PLASTIC!!1

Sad.
>>
>>50211708
>every game with polished components is automatically bad

Fuck off m8
>>
>>50211708

Well depending on your tastes, Kickstarter can bring both. I mean, Viticulture looks pretty good... Scythe doesnt seem like my kind of game but apparently it's pretty good and has sweet components. YMMV of course.
>>
>>50206185
The same problem as almost every deckbuilder: the decisions make themselves.
>>
>>50207913
You've heard right, it's really solid, though I'm not sure I need the expansion anytime soon. If you grab one of the extra maps off their website as a PnP it's enough to keep the game fresh.
>>
>>50211775
Does valley of the kings also have this problem
>>
>>50211835
From what I've heard on this general it's one of the very few which doesn't. Never played it though, so grain of salt./
>>
>>50211415
I am impressed they keep adding more stretch goals at such a relatively low number. How long do you suppose that will go on for? Little bit of statistics:
>Mythic Battles is at 95 base models at 0.8 million (25 kickstarter exclusives)
>Conan ended with 185 base models after $3.3 million (8 kickstarter exclusives)
>Dark Souls ended with 107 base models hitting the $4.7 million (No exclusives)

On an interesting note, news from Dark Souls says that they're going to release actually ahead of schedule the base game in March (originally releasing April) and deliver all the stretch goal expansions and stuff later in October. I'm curious what you all think, better to release it on time with just the base game, or delay it until all of it is ready for that initial wow factor?
>>
>>50212112
They're probably planning for the base game to be released with the last DLC.
>>
>>50211733
Generally so, yeah. Time spent making sure the plastic is the blingest plasticy plastic ever is not time spent actually putting the game into "board game".
>>
>>50202239
>>50207825
>>50207860
>>50207879
>>50209558
>>50211415
Shilling this hard
>>
>>50212216
I am not a shill.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/806316071/mythic-battles-pantheon
>>
>>50212296
>I am not a shill.
Sounds like something a schill would say.
>>
>>50212364
Beyond the amazing minis the game is actually a great game
Under all that gloss and polish you find really cool combat mechanics and unit abilities
You should really check it out

There are also all those scenarios straight from Greek mythology
Heroes and monsters and of course gods make it a really cinematic experience
Even team play is possible both in skirmish and scenario mode

Give it a chance man
Any person who likes fighting games should take a look at it
Many people will be thrilled
Exhilarating is a word that perfectly describes the gameplay
>>
File: 1415910087614.jpg (38KB, 814x712px)
1415910087614.jpg
38KB, 814x712px
>>50212563

Beyond the amazingly detaild minis that will make your tabletop come alive! the game is actually a great game
Under all that gloss and polish (from a measely $89!) you find really cool combat mechanics that uses Special Dice™ and unit abilities!
You should really check it out at https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/806316071/mythic-battles-pantheon

There are also all those scenarios straight from Greek mythology that will take
you on an epic adventure across the devasted ruins of Ancient Greece
Heroes and monsters and of course gods make it a really cinematic experience
Even team play is possible both in skirmish and scenario mode

Give it a chance man! It's only $89
Any person who likes fighting games should take a look at it
Many people will be thrilled!
Exhilarating™ is a word that perfectly describes the gameplay!
>>
>>50209937
Yeah, so here's how TI3 is played because it's shit: 1) Player 1 picks imperial role. 2) second player picks first turn role. 3) player has a card that burns some resource, threatens each player in turn that he will play it on them if they don't give him 2 $. This takes 10 minutes. 4) turn is over, players build stuff and move stuff on the map, thinking it matters. 5) turn 2: player with first turn marker chooses Imperial. Player 1 that chose imperial last time chooses first turn marker, new players have no idea what's happening and that nothing they do on the map matters. 6) Player with card that burns resources threatens each player in turn with it unless they give them 2$. Another player does it 5 minutes later, all told, this takes 15 minutes. 7) people build stuff thinking it matters. They move stuff under the same assumption. 8) person tries for a political card with a vote thinking in matters. The random cards drawn do nothing in the game at all. 9) Turn 3. The player that took the first turn marker takes the Imperial role, the imperial player from last time takes the first turn marker. There is now no chance that any of the other players can win the game based on the current victory points. Other players try to attack the leaders, but are cut down by the other players who score vp's off of them. Game is 8 hours long and was an exercise in the role selection mini-game with 7 hours of crap in between that meant nothing. People talk about their strategies meaning nothing. Half the table decides they will never play the game again. 10) Space Kitties.

Luckily there is TI2 to do all the things one wants in a grand strategy game without the stupid Euro bullshit of TI3.
>>
>>50212629
I am just a regular guy who works 9 to 5 and doesn't earn much but when my son who has cancer told me he really wants this game I couldn't say no and bought it. I can say it's a great game. Probably one of the best games of all time. Extremely well thought out and my son is so happy. I noticed that the more we played the more his condition improved. The doctors had no idea what caused this but we just kept playing. In the end he was totally cancer free. I don't want to say that this game cured cancer, but I want to say that you should give your money to the people who made the game. Because it cures cancer.
>>
>>50211552
>Burn
Smash-Up (all iterations)
Steam Park
Warrior Knights

>Steal
DungeonQuest
Terra Mystica
WoW: TBG

>Add
Eclipse
Battlestar Galactica (+ Expansions)
Suburbia
>>
>>50211733
But miniatures are literally the "graphix" of board gaming.
>>
>>50212653
>I'll take "People who have never played TI3" for $1000, Alex?
>>
>>50213222
Are you saying every game with good graphics has bad gameplay?
>>
>>50213299
No, he's saying it's the easy way to pour money into a games production without doing anything really to make it a better game. It's a field that doesn't hurt but barely if at all helps. Blood rage has beautiful minis and is a great game but those 2 traits are because the minis are beautiful and the game is well made. Nothing about one helps the other.
>>
>>50213391
That's what I've been arguing all along. A game can have great components and great gameplay but some make it sounds like great components = bad gameplay.
>>
>>50202239
Just pledged 300 bucks. Was the first time I ever backed something on KS and it feels shitty that I'll have to wait over a year to play it but eh... I have money and time so why not.
>>
>>50213655
What if you die before you get it?
>>
So what's the /bgg/ ruling on Illuminati?
>>
>>50214048
Not as terrible as most SJG shlock, but still runs too long for what it is.
>>
File: boardgamesdotpng.png (3MB, 1757x1671px) Image search: [Google]
boardgamesdotpng.png
3MB, 1757x1671px
>>50211552
I like your idea, posting up my collection for burn 3/steal 3/add 3

>burn
Smash Up
Zombies!!!
Ascension

>steal
Starcraft
Omen: A Reign of War
Tannhauser

>add
Duel of Ages II
Argent: The Consortium
BattleCON
>>
File: collection.png (7MB, 1792x3144px)
collection.png
7MB, 1792x3144px
>>50214412
>burn
Drakon
Magic
Codenames

>steal
DungeonQuest
Gears of War
Tales of the Arabian Nights

>add
Boss Monster
Clank!
XCOM
>>
File: collection.png (863KB, 1770x610px)
collection.png
863KB, 1770x610px
>>50214627
> Burn
BattleShip
Catan
Yagtzee To Go
> Steal
Twilight Struggle
Tomb: Cryptmaster
Golem Arcana
... I guess? Just going by the names.
> Add
Here I Stand
Kemet
MiddleEarth Quest
>>
File: collectionsofar.jpg (800KB, 1764x1438px) Image search: [Google]
collectionsofar.jpg
800KB, 1764x1438px
>>50214412
>Burn
Love Letter
Tales of Arabian Nights
Flashpoint because irony

>Steal
Hero Quest
Space Hulk
Kemet

>Add
Blood Rage
Spyfall
Seasons

I'm so sorry, I know my tastes are terrible, don't hate me.
>>
>>50214725
Ah shit, I broke turn order here, let me fix that.
>>50214680
>Burn
Love Letter
Tiny Epic Kingdoms
Last Night on Earth
>Steal
Kemet
StarCraft
Fury of Dracula
>Add
Blood Rage
Seasons
Rebellion
>>
>>50213655
>spending that much money on something you won't be able to enjoy for over a year

Why?
>>
So, figured this would be a better place than /hswg/, what's the opinions on Twilight Struggle? I like the game, but I can't help but think the game is in the American's favor.

If it's simulating the Cold War, then that's fine, but if it's going for a more balanced game, I don't really think that's fair. Or am I just a double faggot and don't know how to play right?
>>
>>50215448
I think I saw something in that dedicated Twilight Struggle website that it's actually the USSR that has a slight advantage over the US. General opinion is that it's pretty good though.
>>
>>50214680
>burn catan

well meme'd
>>
File: .jpeg.png (6MB, 1349x3978px) Image search: [Google]
.jpeg.png
6MB, 1349x3978px
>>50209605
I followed Eclipse through its previews and dev commentaries on the 'geek back in 2011/2012, and well, it doesn;t offer what TI3 has. The map unfolding is neat, the ship crafting more so. But where s the epic sense of scale? When a death star loaded with troops and support craft comes knocking on your door, and you have that Direct Hit in play, and the whole table roars when you get it off, that is awesome and people remember it years later. The surprises and backstabbing of action cards, the voting blocs that emerge in the political mechanics, the alliances and hatreds forged in trade deals, the hail mary plays to get those secret objectives/level two objectives. Eclipse never looked like it offered those plays.

They claimed it was the TI3 killer. I saw a game that just offered a different space experience.

>>50211835
Valley of the Kings is cool as, even if you go for objectives, if they aren't in your tomb, they;re meaningless. You must decide what to hold for options, what to sac for points. Late game, you need to be entombing more than one card a turn, but as you entomb, you weaken your deck and likely are not buying cards that turn. You also have the choice of running down the clock by destroying the pyramid through purchases/card abilities, or just switch pyramid cards through Shabti play to stall a bit longer. Sometimes, a hand will give you the obvious play, but late in the game, there are branching paths where the best play does not necessarily translate into the most points.

>>50215448
The early game is heavily in Russia;s favor, late game swings USA. like history. Both players have to be aware of the highs and lows of each player. I have seen Russia win late, USA blitz early, it depends on the skills of the player, and how well they mitigate their event cards

>>50211552

>Burn
Last night on earth
Zombies!!
Imperial Settlers

>Steal
Starcraft
Roll for the Galaxy
Archipelago

>add
Nightfall
El Grande
Sheriff of Nottingham
>>
What are some boardgames that offer a miniatures experience (wh40k, whf, fow) for 2 players with a low price of admission?
>>
>>50212653
>what is: every one ever advocating TI3 says you never play just the base game, must have expansion?

It is a knock against the base game, for sure, but Shards of the Thrown makes the game one of the best out there.

>but are cut down by the other players who score vp's off of them.
But in base game, there are next to no objectives that reward combat, except for owning home planets as secrets, or cards that cause friction by rewarding control of certain systems. Combat oriented objectives are in the shards expansion, and at that point, none of your major complaints are valid as you have the imperial II strategy card, Assembly instead of Political. Hands full of political cards meaning the whole table gets in on just nominating laws, never mind voting.

And who is going to find TI2 anyway?

>>50214412
>burn
Noir
One night ultimate werewolf
Love Letter

>steal
Shadows over Malice
Mushroom Eaters
Gears of War

>add
Ashes expansions :^)
Mare Nostrum
Chaos in the Old World

>>50214627
>Burn
Ticket to Ride
Guillotine
>Boss Monster

>steal
Dominant Species
Fire in the Lake
Valley of the Kings: Last Rights
>add
Codenames
Falling Sky: The Gallic Revolt against Caesar
Battlecon: Devastation of Indines
>>
>>50213391
>blood rage
>great game
Why is it the only straight upgrades of CitOW are two Petersen >$100 minisfests.
>>
>>50216082
If you are ok with few to zero miniatures:
Warhammer: Diskwars
Summoner Wars: Master Set/Alliances Master Set
X-Wing has a low starting point, but also only 3 models in the base set. And if you are a completionist.....

>>50216162
Because Peterson does not care about the poor gamers. He makes the games he wants to make. Asmodee would likely love to share his opinions. Can't knock the guy for doing what he loves and giving it the level of awesomeness he wants, but fuck, print and playing that seems so lame.
>>
>>50214627
Drakon is very close to my personal burn 3 and both of my groups ended up buying copies of Codenames after I introduced it to them, I'm currently selling >90% of my Magic collection so that is actually one of my burn 3's

my housemate has Boss Monster and XCOM, and Clank is on my BGG wishlist though it's at a low position

>burn
Catan
Battlestar Galactica I'm basing this on a single play I did with two other people and it was so easy for me and one player to shut down the Cylon, only time that I've felt absolutely no satisfaction with winning a board game
Game of Life

>steal
Doom
Twilight Struggle
Falling Sky

>add
Republic of Rome
Zimby Mojo
Merchants & Marauders

>>50214725
not interested in Blood Rage based on what people have said here and I don't know anything about Seasons so I'll look into it, Spyfall is on my radar but not my wishlist

>burn
Small World
Seafall
Pandemic Legacy

>steal
Krosmaster Arena
Baseball Highlights: 2045
Star Wars: Rebellion

>add
Kemet
Nightfall
DungeonQuest

>>50216139
I already have all of the expansions and promo Phoenixborn, I just decided to filter out the expansions from my list

>>50214680
>burn
nothing

>steal
Neuroshima Hex
Ghost Stories
Starcraft

>add
Wiz-War
Survive: Escape from Atlantis
DungeonQuest

>>50216024
>burn
Cards Against Humanity
Catan
Munchkin

>steal
Disc Duelers
Robo Rally
For Sale

>add
Clash of Cultures
Nevermore
Force of Will
>>
>>50216191
>comparing petersen to asmodee
There's a difference between "I want to make a bigger, better, badder CitOW with tons of high-quality minis and sell it at a reasonable price" and "We want to inflate our valuation as high as possible to sell to Hasbro through squeezing every penny possible out of the consumer while ruthlessly metastasizing our market presence."
>>
File: kingsandthings.jpg (1MB, 2575x3150px)
kingsandthings.jpg
1MB, 2575x3150px
>>50213245
T3 at least four times. let's face it, Peterson played a lot of Kings and Things and made it in space (T1 and T2), then played Puerto Rico and T3 became shit.
>>
>>50216082
They're plastic figures, but Memoir 44 gives a pretty good amount. Go Battlelore if you prefer fantasy and the ability to customize your armies.
>>
File: 111111BGcollection.png (3MB, 1617x1455px) Image search: [Google]
111111BGcollection.png
3MB, 1617x1455px
>>50216024
>burn
CAH
Exploding Kittens
Cosmic alliance
>buying the second worst expansion out of five of them as the only one
How do you even fuck up this badly.

>steal
BattleCON
El Grande
Valley of Kings
Your CitOW box (mine got smashed by about 137 feline Joules).

>add
Exodus: Proxima Centauri
Cosmic Incursion
Duke
>>
>>50215448
Like >>50216024 says, TS starts out for the Ruskies and slowly sways towards the US. Also, I've seen most tournaments play with the US getting +2 IP after setup.
>>
File: 1416780437307(2).jpg (260KB, 1520x1520px) Image search: [Google]
1416780437307(2).jpg
260KB, 1520x1520px
>>50216139
>add
>Codenames
Also Falling Sky is in there. I'm even in playtesting for Pendragon.
>>
Got a chance to play Conan tonight, as it come in from kickstarter sometime last week.

Really fun game. Just like The Others, it's pretty much replaced decent for me. It's nice to have fun playing as an overlord for a change, however...the rulebook layout is shit.

Kind of feel like my patience is wearing thin with board games and shit rulebooks. It's not a huge deal here and there, especially for something big like myth (kek), but it's lately been a streak of just...bleh. Rise of the Kage, Yashima, now Conan. Kind of thought all this stuff was supposed to be done and proofread by the time people launch a KS. Guess that's not quite the case.
>>
File: Carlos!.gif (353KB, 500x282px) Image search: [Google]
Carlos!.gif
353KB, 500x282px
>>50216771
I thought Conan was only on weeknights.
>>
>>50216191
>>50216573
Thanks anons.
>>
File: blargh.png (2MB, 1315x1398px)
blargh.png
2MB, 1315x1398px
Trying to cater to a wide audience and introduce people to gaming. I know full wellI should burn a few of these

>>50216650
>Burn
Love Letter
MGS Risk
That's it. Good taste, anon.

>Steal
Muthafuckin' Dune
Virgin Queen
Falling Sky

>Add
Dominant Species
Ra
Keyflower
>>
File: latest[1].jpg (173KB, 1600x900px)
latest[1].jpg
173KB, 1600x900px
>>50217383
>MGS Risk
I found it for $5, looked at the components, and bought it just for the Outer Haven mini. I use it as my flagship in TI3.
>>
File: photo-1[1].jpg (347KB, 1296x968px) Image search: [Google]
photo-1[1].jpg
347KB, 1296x968px
>>50216415
Seasons is just a game I add because it's one of my favorites and I get stumped on what to recommend. I don't really know how to recommend it, it's a strange game. Card drafting and you play cards like MtG only with a mana pool you roll dice for based on the season and the season creates a kinda stockmarket for the mana you have and you're all trying to get the most victory points by the end of 3 years.

I don't know who to recommend it to, but I really like it. Lots of paths to victory, scales between 2 and 4 players well, turns generally go quick, pretty art and components. Can feel a little non combative though if in your draft you don't end up with cards that particularly have you interacting with other players.
>>
any feedback on
Death Angel : Space Hulk: The Card Game?

I'm at work so I can't really watch videos and stuff, can I get a quick recap of the game and how its like? I've been wanting to try a co-op game with the guys.
>>
>>50218715
I fucking love it, but I've only played it solo. it's the most intense games I've ever played. no hyperbole, it legitimately keeps me on the edge of my seat until the last die roll. it's basically aliens: the card game

it's super hard. expect to lose 60-80%+ of the time, and a perfectly executed game can fall apart right at the end due to a handful of poor die rolls, so be warned about those

the goal is to clear ~4 different rooms of the tyranids without losing all your space marines. there's no health, your space marines instantly die if they ever get hit by an attack, so careful planning is important to keep them alive. the rules for a multiplayer game say you're supposed to make your decisions in private and then reveal at the same time, but I don't think I'd play with that rule. it's hard enough as it is, no need to make it harder imo

each team consists of 2 space marines. you choose from 3 actions to do each turn, and teams cannot do the same action two turns in a row. you can attack, which lets both space marines roll a die and if successful they kill 1 tyranid. you can move, which allows both space marines to move up and down the formation, switch facing (to deal with enemies that are flanking them), or to activate things like void locks to instantly kill a tyranid, or you choose to support which acts differently from the other actions. you'd imagine you get to support twice, but you only get one support token if you choose to support. a support token allows you to reroll an attack or defense die, which can mean the difference between life or death for one of your marines

it has a reputation for having garbage rules, but the versions available now have a better rulebook than when it first came out. rahdo did a video on it way back that's pretty good if you're not bothered by a shaky camera which gives a great feel for the game
>>
>>50218862
The dice kinda scare me off, since you can do everything super smart and calculated but still get fucked because of a bad roll.

Is the dice RNG a big factor in this game?
>>
>>50219212

Not that same guy, but yeah, the die is super random, the results are incredibly critical, and you could have every single angle covered in a turn and still lose all your guys if the combination of cards & dice roll fuck you in the arse.
>>
>>50219397
It has stellar reviews, looks easy to learn and play in a big group while keeping everyone engaged.
Gameplay wise it does look fun but maybe a bit to RNGish but from my understanding your decisions are just as important as the dice, as in if you play like shit and get great rolls you will lose.
For only 15$ this looks like a good buy, I guess ill do a bit more research and get it.
>>
>>50218394
With Four players the game sucks. Turn angst in the last year is too much to bear and it's a total mess to track the drains from all the familiars. 2-3 players though it's great.
>>
>>50216771
Descent, Conan and the Others are designed well but all break down due to the Quarterbacking effect. They are really just two player games, any more than that and the game is less fun because except for the quarterback, the other players don't make any decisions, they just roll the dice for their character.
>>
>>50219716

You also could stop being a beta and make your own decisions.

I'll never understand the "alpha player" criticism.
>>
>>50218715
Also, how does it play in a group of 4~6, almost all the reviews are of solo runs.
>>
>>50219794
Because if you want to win the game the best decision you can make is to listen to the most experienced player.

If you're making decisions with another goal than winning the game you're probably stepping on someone else's toes and they won't have a good time, which will bleed over into your enjoyment.
>>
>>50219963

But most cooperative games have an element of randomness, sometimes trying the less than optimal route could pay off. Besides, sometimes the experienced players has a "play pattern" engraved in his mind, and a fresh new perspective on a problem could be good. Also sometimes, there's more than one good path.
>>
>>50216162
For the record, blood rage has been in the 50-60 $ range for around 2 months or so.

Doesn't really change your point, just, if you were interested in it.
>>
>>50220098
We've gotten a LOT of milege out of Blood Rage. many many plays. It's very BIG to set up and put away though, so sometimes we just do the Nexus Ops instead.
>>
>>50219983
COOP like Dead of Winter works, because people have their own goals and even if they are cooperating for the win, they individually don't win unless they complete their own goals. Not so with Descent or The Others. Simply put, those are really just two player games. No other players but the Overlord/Sin and the Alpha player make any difference and just get in the way of the enjoyment of the game for themselves and for others. It would be like having a team game of Twilight Struggle. Who the fuck would do that?
>>
>>50220190

I dunno, I think Dead of Winter is inherently flawed because there's no cooperation in that game. If I know I'm not going to accomplish my goal, fuck everybody, I'm sinking this ship.

Anyway, in descent, if I'm playing the archer and some fucko tells me I have to shoot an arrow at some monster, and what I want to do is pick up that item token lying in that corner, you better fucking believe I'm going to pick up the item unless he makes a really compelling argument. The arrow might miss anyway, so there's room for my own decision, right ?
>>
>>50220167
Inis rakes like five seconds to set up and I like it better than blood rage anyway
>>
>>50219794
I'm always the alpha player, hence I normally play the SIN/Overlord. I'm betting you don't understand the Alpha player criticism because you don't play a lot of board games, just read and talk about them on the internet. The plays the thing-- and it's why Pandemic sucks and Dead of Winter / Battlestar are great.
>>
>>50220250
so I played a demo at a con last week and my interest was piqued, however I found it really rather boring during the demo, but am open to more plays. The win conditions are far too complex and strange for say my kids to play it, but for the 30+ crowd it could work. My question for getting INIS is whether or not it will get more or less play time than Blood Rage or Struggle of Empires-- both pillars in that type of area control game.
>>
>>50220342

I think your problem is your friends dont tell you to shut your mouth often enough.

I do play games often, thank you.
>>
>>50220222
There isn't a traitor all the time, only about 25% of the time. Most of the time players may suspect the other players because they do odd stuff, but there isn't actually a traitor. It's the "if the community wins and I fullfill this, I win" part that is good.

Not going to argue that about decent, because maybe that player is not the alpha player that knows what the percentage chance of the item being worth getting vs shooting the arrow.
>>
>>50220363
The win conditions are EXCEEDINGLY straight forward: have the most people in areas that have one of three things. I don't know how old your kids are but I wouldn't put it past a ten year old who has played a couple board games to instantly get this game at least on a rules level.

The way that inis blows blood rage out of the water is that I hesitate to even call blood rage an area control game, it's more of a simple drafting game with the board serving as the point salad-ey mechanism for expressing the draft point scoring. The only reason to ever hold an area is for quests, and those don't overlap near enough for conflict to do anything except reward the player that drafts cards that gives points when units die or whatever else.

Inis is way less fiddly and has a lot less edge cases and rules than blood rage, if someone can play one, they can play the other.
>>
>>50220434

>DOW

Oh, I know, but sometimes, as a player, you just dont get the items you need to join in on the community win. All I'm saying is, if I definitely know I can't get the meds I need to fulfill my junkie card, I'm tanking the game for everybody, even if I'm not the traitor. Why would I help the other players if I know I'm fucked ?

>Descent

Even if the odds of the arrow hitting are overwhelmingly high, and the chance of getting decent stuff on the token is relatively low, there's still a chance that the arrow will miss, and the item you get is pretty good. And if you fucked up, well, at least it was your decision, and it's not a crime to make a bad decision from time to time.

Bad decisions have gotten me laid in the past.
>>
>>50220378
I'm agreeing with you on this of course, but that reinforces our core dilemma -- quarterbacking in games by a person that knows the game and has an alpha personality is going to make it suck for others or at best, they are vestigial. I think the other problem with the Others and Decent is that nothing carries between games-- the characters don't loot/level up like in Advanced Heroquest or Warhammer Quest (or really any RPG). Choices are always for that game's goals only. No player cares in the Others if Elle or Kanga survive because they can just bust them out in the next game. There's no 'campaign' for Faith. I guess the analogous game to Descent/Others is Space Hulk-- which is always two player.
>>
>>50220509

Alright, but then, I don't see that as a problem with the game, but rather with the player. Same way people blame certain heavy games for causing analysis paralysis, when it's the fault of the player for not making a fucking decision in the first place.

Attempts to tackle the issue are commendable, but not necessary in my opinion, if you have an alpha player problem, you either need to work on that yourself, or maybe you're just not the right audience for that particular game.
>>
>>50202239
So I guess the core set is fine, as you get a decent amount of minis for a little more than 100 bucks. It's basically some kind of reaper bones thing. But beyond that it comes to a point where I'd just buy into a 'real' tt skirmisher. And if you go as far as 300 bucks, you could buy a few armies, rules, terrain and colors and everything you'd need for a real wargame. AND you wouldn't have to put up with these disgusting monopose troops. I mean the monsters will probably be fine, as they suffer the least from bad plastic, the heroes should be ok, but the troops look absolutely shit. Why would you buy these, when there are so many great models out there?
>>
>>50220627
>the troops look absolutely shit.

What? All the models look extrmely good and highly detailed, even the troops.
>>
>>50221079

Miniature gamers are extremely picky.I generally dont pay much attention.

I guess if I was picky I'd say the troops look a bit flat ? Not that I really care of course.
>>
File: 1478967519544.jpg (20KB, 348x162px)
1478967519544.jpg
20KB, 348x162px
>>50221079
Ok
>>
>>50219703
I haven't had that issue, it sounds like just a player thing.
>>
File: 43565.jpg (401KB, 1754x824px) Image search: [Google]
43565.jpg
401KB, 1754x824px
>>50221154
Great argument. Somebody give this boy an award of some kind.

And those are just the smallest minis. The largers ones look insanely good.
>>
>>50221393
>insanely good
They're pretty fucking average, you shill.
Posing is "standard heroic", some torsos and muscling could have been done better, detail is nothing to jizz your undies for.
These are prototypes too, line production plastics will lose some detail. A decent paint job will make them look nice, but there's not a lot to get too excited about.
And as another anon said, buckets of average minis in average games (plus exclusive kickstarter content) is a trend that should fucking die already.

I'd rather spend those $300 on 3 Guild Ball teams.
>>
>>50221620

I agree with you, but on the other hand, I'm a bit baffled with this obsession of the "amazing" mini.

How often do you play your games at eye level ? I mean, even "average" minis look great at arm's length... Which is what you're going to see when you play.
>>
File: 1421883171508.png (279KB, 840x799px) Image search: [Google]
1421883171508.png
279KB, 840x799px
>>50222361
I'm a modeler too, not just a gamer. We spend a TON of time, money and effort trying to make our miniatures and games look gorgeous.

Some people are fine with playing with unpainted grey plastic and that's OK... some people are fine with playing with malformed abortions average quality miniatures on the table and that's OK too.

I'll play a great game any day; miniatures are a nice bonus. But if I'm gonna shell out my hard-earned cash to get into a miniatures game either: A.- the game should be fucking great or B.- miniatures better be pretty damn amazing. Bonus points for both.

>tfw I need more money for KDM.
>>
>>50222781

Oh yeah, I'm not arguing that, no worries. But a lot of people seem to be REALLY into it, like a game's automatically shit if it doesnt have minis by so and so.

Guess it's the eternal "extremely vocal minority" problem.

>tfw I'm backing the new Shadows of Brimstone and I also really want Mythic Battles.
>>
>>50220536

>I have an alpha personality, so I have to tell you how to do your job while playing board games

That sounds more like an asshole to me. I have a very alpha personality, but just because I'm confident in telling people what to do, doesn't mean I act on those impulses while playing a board game with friends on the weekend.
>>
File: tips-fedora.png (703KB, 522x579px) Image search: [Google]
tips-fedora.png
703KB, 522x579px
>>50223164
>I have a very alpha personality,
>>
>>50223528

No katana? Pffft, poser.
>>
>>50216463
Man, 80's board game art is just weird sometimes... in a cool way, of course.
>>
What is your favorite game

Name one improvement you would make to the above.

>BattleCON

>Change it from a few big-ass boxes with 10-40 characters to an LCG distribution so characters kits' can be customized.
>>
>>50225340
> favorite game
Mythic Battles: Pantheon™ (Available on kickstater for inly $89.99)
> Name one improvement you would make to the above.
The game is perfect as it is I just hope for more expansions!
>>
>>50225376
Get a trip already, so I can filter your ass offa my thread.
>>
>>50225340
>BatteCON
>templating, templating, templating
>>
>>50225413
I used to have anger issues like you, but then a friend recommended Mythic Battles: Pantheon. I've never felt better. It helps. Try it today. I think it's on Kickstarter right now. You get a lot of value for your money.
>>
>>50225340
Fuck you, LCG is less vampiric a business model than CCG but its still pretty bad. I don't want to have to buy more than one box.

Also customising characters would completely kill the mind games of knowing the char you're fighting against. You replace the skill ceiling with "who shelled out for the box you can make that op combo with?"
>>
>>50225340
Alternate UAs, Beta bases, Delta bases, Special bases, Weapon bases, Consumables, Equipment, Strikers, Endrbyt.
What more customization do you want?
>>
File: IMG_2650.jpg (81KB, 540x509px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2650.jpg
81KB, 540x509px
>>50225440

It's like I never left /fit/

>that first sip
>>
>>50225817
I'd like to replace Hikaru's default orange style with a different orange style (i.e. cannot replace say his red style with it). Something like this:

[Orange]
+0
+1
After Activating: Retreat 1 space

Someone who likes his current orange style can keep it or decide if their play style matches better with the above.

>>50225453
Said like someone who has never played an LCG. Typically they have a basic set (in this case, War, Devastation, Fate, or Trials all work) and they're supplemented by other products.

How would it kill the mind games? Players still have a reference sheet (or multiple reference sheets and mark what styles/bases they are using). It hardly removes the skill ceiling. If anything, it raises it.

Regarding balance, that is a valid criticism. However, it's much easier than many other games because each card would interact with so few other cards (5 styles + SA card + 6 bases + unique base). For that reason, I think this would do more to bring characters in-line balance wise than bring characters over the top.

And finally, it would give the community something to discuss/argue about. This is easily my favorite game that I own. It breaks my heart seeing how much potential is not being acted on.
>>
>>50226214
Hikaru does not retreat. That's stupid. Your first response to not figuring out how to use Sweeping should not be wanting to replace it.

An LCG model would still break the common ground the boxes represent, dividing the players.

Balancing BattleCON is a gargantuan task, thanks to the various subtle interactions between the characters.

And the community has plenty to discuss and argue about. It's just not as vitriolic as that of an LCG.
>>
NEW THREAD
>>50226743
NEW THREAD
>>50226743
NEW THREAD
>>50226743
>>
>>50209607
It actually comes with an AI faction called the Darkness, so you can play it solo if you wanted.
Thread posts: 305
Thread images: 44

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.