[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are monks even trying to do?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 6

File: Dq3-fighter.jpg (14KB, 213x225px) Image search: [Google]
Dq3-fighter.jpg
14KB, 213x225px
What are monks even trying to do?
>>
Punch and kick people.
>>
File: enlightenment.jpg (82KB, 423x718px) Image search: [Google]
enlightenment.jpg
82KB, 423x718px
>>50224894
>>
Reach heaven through violence.
>>
>>50224894
Not being total chumps when arms are either extremely rare or carrying them in public is severely restricted.

Meaning a situation that never happens in D&D unless your GM is trying to BS you into something. Usually fighters should just have some levels in wrestling and (if you're playing Caster Dominance) upgrade that into sick show wrestling move that break time, space and common sense and force casters into playing along with whatever BS wrestling story the fighter's player comes up with on the spot.
>>
>>50225159
Very accurate summary.

Wuxia may be the genre that really inspired all this monk stuff. So toss that a google. Xianxia is a more recent splinter genre where there's a major fantasy element.

Although both are Chinese writing genres and are not inspired by genres we are used to. So when I say fantasy I don't mean DnD style at all.
>>
>>50224894
Depends on the system.

In D&D 3.5, survive.

In pretty much any other game that has the archetype, what >>50225159 said.
>>
>>50225727
>In D&D 3.5, survive.
Pahahahahaha, monks are shit in 3.5, they don't survive shit, they don't have the HPs, their AC is laughable, and because they're mad as fuck not even their saves are going to save them. Even by the time they get SR is literally useless
>>
>>50225754
Anon

That's the joke.
>>
Was looking at the possibility of putting together a casual monk tribal Magic deck, when I noticed that there are no black monks! Blue, yes. Green, yes. Red, yes. White, definitely yes. Black, no?
>>
>>50226135
>black
>whatever it takes to win
>monks
>following the path to enlightenment, eschewing unnecessary violence
Gee, I wonder why
>>
>>50227743
What about monks that meditate upon impermanence, death, dissolution? There are Buddhist temples deep in Cambodia that lay out rotting human corpses for people to look at.
What about monks that mummify themselves?
What about those extremist monks in SE Asia that kill Muslims?
>>
>>50224894
Achieve their desires, which is to realize their wants, which is no trubbah.
>>
>>50224894
In my nonexistent ideal setting, monks would be the ultimate self-sufficient survivalists. They could spend their monk resource points to survive poisons, direct damage, elemental effects, or forcing their way through obsticles.

In terms of combat, monks would never be the primary damage dealer, but would instead be able to bounce around the room and trip/disarm/daze a half-dozen mooks in one round.
>>
>>50224894
If you think about it, the Defenders are basically the archetypal D&D party
>>
>>50228286
White/blue, depends on why, and red, respectively.
>>
>>50228286
The first type of monks you described are Green. The second White/Red.
>>
>>50224894
End all conflict, by the will of heaven.
>>
File: 3.jpg (74KB, 271x270px) Image search: [Google]
3.jpg
74KB, 271x270px
>>50224894
It's playing as a Chinese guy, the character class.
>>
>>50224894
Beat people up while being all mystic and stuff.
>>
>>50224894
Punch spells back at wizards.
LaughingTao.jpg
>>
>>50225159
Well CHIM'd my gentlesir
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.