[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

EDH/Commander General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 349
Thread images: 56

File: Angels and Humans.jpg (29KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
Angels and Humans.jpg
29KB, 223x310px
My buddy's Commander edition.

Old Thread: >>50195334

RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
http://www.mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
http://www.tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the internet.
http://www.edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
http://manabasecrafter.com/

>CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
http://gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
http://www.magiccards.info
>>
File: 72.jpg (69KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
72.jpg
69KB, 312x445px
First for tech cards that nobody expects.
>>
Gonna playtest the precons with two other people this thursday, I'll play the grouphug one, any tips?

kind of wish they would've included the dark depths + thespian stage combo in it, would've gone nicely with tempt with discovery.
>>
File: Image.ashx.jpg (33KB, 223x310px)
Image.ashx.jpg
33KB, 223x310px
>>50208756
k
>>
File: 1322629124488.jpg (9KB, 380x245px)
1322629124488.jpg
9KB, 380x245px
>T2 hasted Blightsteel
I am a depraved individual beyond redemption
>>
>>50208756
>PLANAR CHAOS
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!
>>
How much removal do you have in your usual commander deck? It feels like to me that there are more board wipes and two for ones than cards that are LIKE UNTO lightning bolt, and if they are they're like a fire ball or something.
>>
File: 40.jpg (70KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
40.jpg
70KB, 312x445px
>>50208971
y u b hatin?
>>
File: image.jpg (42KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
42KB, 223x310px
Any commanders that go well with draw-go control?
>>
File: 83.jpg (69KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
83.jpg
69KB, 312x445px
>>50209040
>>
>>50208998
Ah Harrow, the penultimate blue card.
>>
Seeking advice on crafting degenerate UG elf ball:

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/29-10-16-dXm-elves/

Trying to find a good balance of control and elf.
>>
Guys, never played EDH, am going to buy one of the 2016 precons.

Which one of them is the best right out of the box?
I plan to upgrade it later, though.
>>
So I bought Breya and Atraxa and while Breya is effectively artifacts.dec, Atraxa can go in many different directions.

I'm gonna be going in the +1/+1 counters and infect strategy. What are some good cards for that because Doubling Season and Primal Vigor?
>>
>>50209365
Inexorable Tide
Spike Weaver
Contagion Engine
Sage of Hours
Simic Manipulator
>>
>>50209365
Triumph of the hordes is probably good. Tainted strike. Decimator web is less good but kind of lulzy. Contagion engine is strong on its own anyways. Glistening oil is repeatable and doubles as femoral in a pinch. Grafted exoskeleton is good.

Really, the best stuff for infect kills is robot and things that give infect to other things, because most of the creatures that have it natively are awful.
>>
Bought Breya and Yidris. Yidris deck is alot more clunky than it looked and is gonna need a complete rehaul. As for Breya, give me the best flicker cards out there
>>
>>50209341
A-anyone?
I don't understand much but the two I think are the best is Atraxa and Breya's.
>>
>>50209536
Deadeye Navigator
Conjurer's Closet
Mistmeadow Witch
Eerie Interlude
Venser, Planeswalker
>>
my atraxa, yidris, and breya decks just arrived. which one should i play tonight?
>>
>>50209546
Breya is artifacts.dec
Yidris is horrible mess but with some alright cards
Atraxa is casual appealing
Fag Tag is pillow fort to the max but surprisingly works well
Saskia is just green mardu which has been done before and better than saskia.
>>
>>50209341

If you're new to EDH maybe last year's decks are a better starting point

That being said, without touching anything, I like Breya the most. If I can make a few modifications, groupfug. Even if it's just to take out Ludevic
>>
File: loli drinking.jpg (90KB, 624x950px) Image search: [Google]
loli drinking.jpg
90KB, 624x950px
is stalwart unity even worth trying to make good or should i just strip it for parts? seems like it has a lot of things a nekusar deck would want
>>
It's a pillow fort/group hug deck. It's low power on purpose.
>>
>>50209341
I'd say Atraxa. Breya might be better, that's a matter of chance, but Atraxa is much more straighforward. The other commanders are fun too. There doesn't seem to be much of a power gap between the five of them this year. Go with whatever one makes you say "I'd like to build a deck around this commander" because you're gonna have 1000% more fun with that one.
>>
>tfw yidris player chaos warps my silas renn placing sharuum onto the battefield returning breya from my graveyard to the battlefield

Invent Superiority was fun
>>
>>50208980

I love 1 for 1s that cost 1-3 mana and are instant speed

Too many combo pieces being played to skimp on them in my meta
>>
File: 12[1].jpg (64KB, 312x445px)
12[1].jpg
64KB, 312x445px
>>50208756
>>
>>50209341
Breya or Atraxa. I feel they are both pretty straightforward enough for new players while still having a ton of deeper layers to play style.

Yidris and Saskia are just combat commanders while Kynaios and Tiro are just a bit weirder to start off with for commander despite being a strong deck already.Group hug is a deck you play after playing a lot of other goal oriented decks and just want to try playing weird peacekeeper.
>>
>>50210037
Funniest thing about this card is that the first time I ever used it to counter a sorcery, that same guy tried casting Redirect to change its target to Redirect. He was so disappointed it didn't work that way.
>>
>>50209341
I know this isn't an answer, but I'd REALLY recommended getting a 2015 or 2014 commander deck.

2014: Green or White (maybe red)
2015: Golgari or Orzhov

Not only do they have more cards you'll actually end up using in new decks, but they are more straightforward and are FAR more synergistic.
>>
>>50209341

I agree with this guy
>>50210181 but get Ezuri
>>
>>50209341
out of the box id say atraxa or breya
>>
Thinking of putting the eligible exp counter commanders into Atraxa. Yay or nay?

what would a five-color exp counter deck look like?
>>
>>50209365
My dude, run Ezuri, Claw of Progress. He gets absolutely bonkers.
Also you could get spicy and run Superfriends in Atraxa.
>>
>>50210602
I don't think they're worth it just for one extra exp counter per turn

Maybe just Ezuri and Meren
>>
>>50210602
You can't Proliferate Experience.
That said, you could probably rig some sort of solitaire plan with Ezuri and Meren.

Fucking terrible, R/W wants Fatties, U/G wants Weenies, R/U wants neither. B/W and B/G could make nice.
>>
>>50208916
One of the guys in my playgroup was playing the group hug pre-con last night. We were both in agreement that there doesn't seem to be a clear strategy for winning.

Pretty much, you just gotta make it hard for anyone to attack you, and offer incentives for the other players to attack each other.

>>50210037
Loved this card when I played old Kozilek. Fun times.

>>50210602
I don't think that works how you would it does because the experience counters aren't associated with permanents.

>>50208756
Pic related.
>>
>>50210780

You can proliferate Experience Counters.

E.g. Tezzeret's Gambit in Mizzix...
>>
>>50210780

You actually can proliferate experience counters

Ezuri and meren have decent synergy, the others do not
>>
>>50210780

You can tho. Exp counters are counters on a player
>>
>>50210780
>All experience counters are identical, no matter how you got them. For example, the last ability will count experience counters that you got from the first ability, from another ability, from proliferating, and so on.
>>
File: queenmarchesa.jpg (28KB, 300x300px)
queenmarchesa.jpg
28KB, 300x300px
So my QM Punishment deck has worked out flawlessly. Everyone hates it and its already banned. Why are punishment cards so hated? When faggot to the left is dropping shit with Kaalia left and right and faggot to the right is playing artifact shenanigans the deck why the fuck does my one life every time you play a land fucking mater? Played it with my group and they all universally hated it. I played it at my LGS in both 1 on 1 and multiplayer matches one being a 16 man game and just everyone hates it.
>>
>>50210842
Same shit happens when I play Oloro. Everyone wants to knock me out but when the Selvala player's board gets too big, they all come crying for a boardwipe.
>>
Duel commander Atraxa infect. Anyone got a list already? If you do, please post. I'm working on mine still.
>>
File: face.png (4KB, 185x186px) Image search: [Google]
face.png
4KB, 185x186px
>>50210842
>1 on 1 EDH
>>
>>50210860

This guy again
>>
>>50210842
>Everyone hates it and its already banned. Why are punishment cards so hated?
Because everyone wants to be a special snowflake and still win.
>>
So my local shop is doing a commander sealed league with the new pre-cons. Every week we can make an additional two alterations to the deck. I picked yidris because cascade is bonkers, but out of the box the strat seems to be 'wheel six times and deck yourself' so I'm looking for ways to make the deck have more punch. Anybody have suggestions that aren't peeled off of EDHrec? Also, suggestions on order of importance and what to cut, which is relevant due to the league restrictions.

My first two swaps for week one:
Out: aeon chronicler In: swiftfoot boots
Out: whims of the fates In: kozilek, butcher of truth

Future board:
Insurrection
Ulamog the infinite gyre
Scroll rack
Liliana's caress/megrim
Terminate
Fireshrieker
Dominus of fealty
>>
So what do you guys do when somebody in your playgroup has a ridiculous power level?

My friends are all more or less the same powerlevel deck wise and none of us make anything too dickish, with the exception of me running prossh but only as a go-wide token deck, sans- purphoros and other bullshit.

But this one friend- james. Guy easily drops 200 $ on a single deck and then proxies in the other ridiculous shit he has in. Blightstell collossui, platinum empyrions. Shit like that is proxied. But he mostly just does asshole things that nobody else in the game group can break out off, like isochron scepter+silence+unwinding clock, then a wad of coutnerspells. Or his mycrosynth lattice sydri combo, or etc etc.

The guy gets off on being a total asshole and when he's in the game if we don't all dogpile him he wins, just hands down. What do we do? Do I ask him to lower his powerlevel or do we stop playing with him? Not sure what to do
>>
>made custom tokens
>got jank, gimmicky perfect fits
>matched my land arts

My gimmick perfect fits already make it look foil, so foiling it would be redundant. What else can I do to pimp a deck while I'm waiting on its last cards to arrive?
>>
File: 1430355039540.jpg (292KB, 423x590px)
1430355039540.jpg
292KB, 423x590px
>>50210959

Talk to him like an adult, instead of being a butthurt little baby on 4chan

>muh $200
>muh proxies
>muh autism
>>
>>50210959
If nobody else In the group is using proxies, tell him to man up and buy his bullshit or stop using them.

Also, play more interactivity in your decks. Scepter lock is fragile. Boards full of indestructible permanents are gone to evacuation/cyclonic rift/hurkyls recall/merciless eviction. Combos can be interrupted with removal or hate cards. Sure, it sucks to be forced into a faster pace, and go have to cut some meme cards, but it's better than letting him walk all over your face.

Worst comes to worse, just straight up tell him-"dude, your decks duck all the fun out of the game. Can't you build something a little less competitive?" And if he whines about it just stop playing with him.
>>
>>50210959

First off, proxying cards he doesn't own is pretty abnormal and you guys should definitely be able to ask him to only play cards he owns

But besides that, my playgroup had a similar problem. What we did was gang up on him every time until through slow upgrades to our decks it eventually wasn't a problem anymore

Sounds like you guys are averse to both upgrading your decks and to ganging up on him, so you guys are partially at fault, though it's definitely more his fault, especially with proxying powerful cards he doesn't need in your meta
>>
>>50210959
Nothing because I'm that guy, tho I do not proxy. :^)

I always offer to borrow people my decks tho and I have some casual decks too.

You either gotta focus him down as a group, build decks that are his powerlevel or just straight up tell him to tone down a bit.

>4chan tells me I was banned from july to august this year

Late april fools or..?
>>
>>50210925
Is it 1v1 or proper EDH?
>>
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/fatty-lifegain/

I couldn't decide whether to make a Doran deck or a lifegain deck, so I tried to make both.

Anyone have any suggestions?
>>
>>50210925
Just add storm cards, rituals, and draw spells. Wheeling 6 times is awesome if you have seething song, manamorphose, and tendrils of agony in your deck.
>>
I want to make Kynaios and Tiro into a full on group-slug politics deck. I've seen a couple of Gahiji lists floating around, so I'm fairly aware of what my options are for Naya, but I'm not really sure what blue brings to the table other than counterspells and goodstuff. Should I just be building Gahiji if that's the kinda deck I want to play? I do like having access to propaganda and the blue offering card from C14, but that's about all I can think of.
>>
I'm running a volrath reanimator build and I was wondering if there was something to pull multiple things back to my hand from the grave on the cheap. I could also use any sneaky tech suggestions you can think of. I'm running most of the staples and carnival of souls.
>>
>>50211170

Black isn't great at recurring noncreature cards, if that's what you mean
>>
>>50210860
I like 1on1 because it feels like U.S. vs Russia. Instead on looking all over and trying to politic your way around its ll of your best shit vs all of their best shit.

>>50210908
What do you mean? That decks that say draw a bunch of cards will hate me because they dealt damage for each draw and the aggro decks will hate me for being pinged for each creature attacking?

>>50210857
What does your Oloro deck do just gain an insane amount of life?
>>
>>50210925
Damn that sounds fun as fuck. I wish my LGS did shit like that. My LGS barely supports the EDH league as is. Its all standard and draft all the time. I want some janky stuff like that.
>>
>>50211194
No, I mean putting creatures in my hand for a low cost so I can double down on Volrath when I'm swinging. The rest of the deck isn't bad, it's a little durdle prone, but I'm really hesitant to run non-enchantment versions when I could just run more reanimator instead.
>>
File: 63.jpg (73KB, 312x445px)
63.jpg
73KB, 312x445px
>>50211170
You mean stuff like this?
>>
>>50211292
Yes, that's perfect. Thanks anon! Any more efficient options? I only need to discard something twice with volrath to cause some mayhem, but when I get 9+ mana to do a combo like that, I might as well just play whatever bomb I would be discarding.
>>
>>50211287

Oh well then black is great for that

Phyrexian reclamation and death denied are probably the best
>>
>>50211331

You might like disturbing plot
>>
>>50211356
Phyrexian reclaimation couldn't be more perfect. Holy shit, that's a 50 cent card. Any tier two options?
>>
>>50211460
It's almost like you knew my token subtheme. That's a spicy meatball that fits nicely into my curve. Do I need to pay 1B each time I conspire it, or just when I cast it?
>>
>stuck in St Louis for weekend
>take taxi to a comic book store I found on Google
>their Facebook says they're playing commander today
>get in and there's just 4 guys playing with the new precons
>ask if I can watch
>they don't care
>stand there like an idiot for 30 minutes without saying anything
>feel awkward, go browse store
>buy yidris and some sleeves before taking taxi back

If any of you four guys from star clipper browse here I'm sorry for being a spaghetti lmao

But I like the way the yidris deck is built. I think I'm going to improve the lands but leave the rest of the deck as is for lower powered games.
>>
>>50211591
St Louis resident here. If you think that was awkward, you should have seen some of the game nights across the river.
>>
>>50211658
I'm actually at the pilot truck stop across the river in East St Louis next to some big ass race track. I was going to walk to a store that Google says is 2 mi away but their facebook said GOING OUT OF BUSINESS and I was afraid of having an awkward time there
>>
>>50210798
While playing with all the new precons at my lgs last night I was one turn away from being milled by the greeks with keening stone. That exponential mill effect hits 100 real fast when theyve got prison effects out. Thats one potential win con.

At another table some kid got another guy down to less than ten cards in his library from just holding the game out so long.
>>
>>50211591
>>50211658
>>50211716
You guys should all meet up and jump off of the gateway arch.
>>
>>50211752
no u
>>
>>50211752
I would get shot on the way there.
>>
How easy is it to build around Mayael the Anima?
>>
>>50210925
Nekusar+Green package if you want to stick with Wheeling

Leovold if you just want to be a cunt

Reanimator if you want to be clever
>>
>>50212014
Extremely easy.
>>
File: thefuck.png (163KB, 1343x63px)
thefuck.png
163KB, 1343x63px
What the actual fuck
>>
Reposting from previous thread.

Been kicking around a Marrow-Gnawer tribal deck (with some additions like mikaeus, ratcatcher and ogre slumlord) that's been performing quite well on xmage.

Any other mono colored commanders to look at? Trying to keep costs down and another anon said ashing the pilgim isn't too hot or cheap

Also a couple of opponents complained at my marrow gnawer deck, is rat tribal aggro really that annoying? Granted I usually otk them.
>>
>>50212177
I still don't get why stuff like this is important, it's a fantasy card game who cares about sexuality or gender, give me another giant flashy dragon or something.
>>
>>50212212
Remember that people on tumblr and Reddit that care about "diversity" that crap play this game too.
>>
File: Image[1].png (152KB, 223x311px)
Image[1].png
152KB, 223x311px
What's the most convoluted thing I can do for a win in a Split Second?
>>
>>50212184
I know some people will give me shit because of meme status, but Zada actually is really fun to pilot and super cheap to throw together.
>>
File: 1433260296987.png (273KB, 536x458px) Image search: [Google]
1433260296987.png
273KB, 536x458px
>mfw being the third person in a Yisan mirror match

Sure I don't know what I was gonna do against two Mono-Green decks when playing Mono-Red, but every game I played with either of them just ended in playing solitaire for 5 minutes with their decks until they can play Craterhoof and swing at both players for the kill, and I played at least 4 games with them.
>>
>>50212212
>give me another giant flashy dragon or something.
That's the problem. Actually interesting creatures will be shoved to the wayside for speshul snowflakes.

What's really bad is when you're looking forward to a specific card in a set to be spoiled and they ruined the concept for some tranny or token character. I'm looking at you, WUGR faggots.
>>
>>50212244
>diversity

If these people have nothing else going for them but their gender and sexuality they should reconsider.

Wasn't there one guy butthurt about kaladesh as well?
>>
>>50212301
>Wasn't there one guy butthurt about kaladesh as well?
They took extra special care to take anything even remotely offensive out of Kaladesh, I can't imagine what he could possibly be butthurt about. Aside from name dropping curry in a story and having some funky pastel colors it's hardly even Indian at all.
>>
>>50212294
Yeah, I don't like it if it feels forced.

Like, I don't give a fuck who they want to bang or whats in their pants, give me an actual interesting legendary creature with a nice background and awesome abilities that makes me want to build a deck around it.

Not just
>durr trans

Alara had plenty of those, new phyrexia too, what happened?
>>
Help me gut ydris, guys.
What are some of the auto includes? Do you think a superfriends subtheme could be good?
>>
>>50211745
Jesus Christ I didn't know they were that bad.
>>
>>50212301
I know right? I'm pretty sure ashela's story article was just her talking about being a transgender and being a hero as well.
>>
File: 4WABqQpTjv_EN.png (189KB, 265x370px)
4WABqQpTjv_EN.png
189KB, 265x370px
>>50210959

A passive-aggressive method to addressing part of your problem would be to have the group set a rule against using proxies unless you already own a copy of the card.
But the best option? You talk to him. If it is easier to do so, then everyone talks to him while the group is playing. Have everyone who has concerns express them in a constructive way. We had a player in my playgroup that made only made hyper competitive decks. We addressed our concerns, and he has started making an active effort to tone down the power level of his decks so we're all on more equal footing.

----

Unrelated, I am working on a Saskia deck and I'm having trouble figuring out what cards I should cut. If anyone could offer advice for what I should remove (or potentially add) please let me know. EDHrec is proving to be unhelpful considering how new the creature is (and has mostly pre-con cards listed)
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/cry-of-the-brave/
>>
>>50212272
You can't do anything convoluted with a Split Second. That spell is on the stack and that's that. Nothing else happens.
>>
>>50212184
I'll echo what >>50212275 said. Zada is pretty fun, and can be built and a low budget since it runs primarily on commons. I've seen some builds as cheap as $25. My version of Zada is around $90.
>>
>>50211504

Conspire only works once it's a triggered effect, but you don't pay extra mana
>>
File: 1466992075448.jpg (97KB, 520x600px) Image search: [Google]
1466992075448.jpg
97KB, 520x600px
>>50210959
some people think $200 is a lot for an edh deck?
i have multiple edh decks in the 2-3k range
>>
File: IMG_1487.jpg (50KB, 223x310px)
IMG_1487.jpg
50KB, 223x310px
>>50212684
Would zada work well in the 99 with Wort, the Raidmother as the commander? Doubling all of your pump spells and then giving everything that pump seems pretty dope.
>>
>>50212755
I don't see why not. If it something you're trying to consistently due, you'll have to find ways to tutor Zada (which shouldn't be TOO difficult in green). Plus you get access to token-doubling effects and more removal spells.

As a back-up, throw in Mirrorwing Dragon.
>>
>>50210959
suggestion: go meta. If he's trying to play isochron bullshit or counterspells, play things like grand abolisher. for artifact combo play fracturing gust or hurkyl's recall. put enough hosers in and eventually he won't stomp anymore.
>>
>>50212742
You forget, since spoiler season, we're going to have a massive influx of newfags and budget fags. I mean, there's nothing wrong with a Vorthos budget fag, but like seriously, $200 is about average for a moderately tuned dual colour edh deck that isn't some easily accessible jank like Uril.
>>
File: IMG_1489.png (130KB, 223x311px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1489.png
130KB, 223x311px
>>50212787
Or I can grab both if wort is out on the field.
>>
>>50212843
nothing inherently wrong with playing budget decks, just surprised that $200 is considered high end. I have played Candelabra into Nether Void only to get blown out by 10 cent cards.
>>
On the subject of proxying. I'm running two copies of Time Warp in a deck because I don't want to shell out 50 bucks for a Temporal Manipulation. The two are different sets/art so if you really need to distinguish between them (nevermore or any other 'name a card' cards) you can, is this more or less acceptable than having a shitty printout of Temporal Manipulation?
>>
>>50212755

Not just any wort deck, but if you build around it can be glorious yes
>>
>>50212878
I actually wouldn't accept this, they are not identical. Time warp can be redirected, Temporal Manipulation can't.
>>
>>50212647
drop
fervor
curse of the nightly hunt
collective unconscious
all of the flicker effects, stick a conjourers closet in there instead

add
??? equipment?
>>
>>50212878
Not really, no.

Why not use temporal mastery to replace one or something if you don't like proxies?
>>
>>50212664
He can do morph though
>>
If a creature with "+1/+0 until end of turn" (flamebreath) phases out, does it retain the buff until a turn ends with the creature phased in?
>>
>>50213376
Not likely since MTG doesn't really "remember" things. It treats the phased in creature like an entirely new creature.
>>
>>50209365
Hardened scales
>>
File: 1468599871987.jpg (58KB, 540x720px)
1468599871987.jpg
58KB, 540x720px
How does necromancer animate dead affect theros gods if they enter and don't have enough devotion
>>
>>50213048
And mana abilities. With Ashnod's Altar you can make things happen even with Split Second on the stack using death triggers.
>>
>>50213651
I'm pretty sure it gets the god back on the battlefield, then falls off because it's enchanting an illegal target and then you have to sacrifice the god, since Animate Dead leaves the battlefield.
>>
>>50213550
I imagine that animate dead would immediately fall off because the God isn't a creature, which in turn causes you to sac the God.

also, bumping for an answer to my earlier question >>50211168
>>
>>50213432
This is wrong, phased out creatures "don't exist" and then they do again. It is not treated like a new creature
>>
>>50211168
>>50213791
Blue is primarily used to force everyone to draw cards, or to accelerate your drawing capabilities. You may want to look at some Phelddagrif decks for reference.
>>
>>50213791
Blue brings Show and Tell and Prosperity type of effects.
>>
File: latest[1].jpg (71KB, 620x441px) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].jpg
71KB, 620x441px
This is a Kaalia deck I am currently working on.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/the-good-the-bad-and-the-ugly-3/

Thoughts? Suggestions?
>>
File: 1410852426571.jpg (12KB, 350x377px) Image search: [Google]
1410852426571.jpg
12KB, 350x377px
>>50212742

>tfwiktf
>>
File: Yidris.dec.jpg (50KB, 435x571px) Image search: [Google]
Yidris.dec.jpg
50KB, 435x571px
Just picked up the Yidris deck and looking through it gave me a bit of neat idea. How good of a strat is fucking with your opponents by wheeling as much as possible? Cards like waste not and the GB elf that gives tokens rewards you for wheeling, while red and blue provide the ability to. Any tips, suggestions? I'm kinda new to EDH, but Yidris looked too fun to pass up, pic related.
>>
>>50212272
I used this yesterday before a blasphemous act to stop the guy with a dauntless escort from killing me.
>>
>>50214353
Seems alright, and the yidris deck definitely has the tools for it. You could go balls deep and slap a bunch of shit like burning inquiry nekusar and teferi's puzzlebox. Put in notion thief to be even more of a prick. The plus is you get to fuck with your opponents hands a bunch, negative is they can dig through their decks really fast.
>>
My local lgs is doing what they call a "tinker league." The idea behind it is to take a commander and build a strange deck that somewhat caters to the commander's abilities, but is far from the immediate ideas and encourages weird/jank brewing. I'm thinking four-color Dragon tribal with either Yidris or Saskia. Which one would be more ideal?
>>
>>50214353
Im taking out most of the wheel cards and turning into a random value deck.
>>
>>50214479
Yeah I figured it'd be easier a bit more fun if I'm making everyone toss out their hands and grabbing more cards. I plan on having what graveyard hate I can stop people from exploiting me too hard. Mostly seemed like a fun active deck idea.

Also digging is mostly good when you have some of the pieces you need, hopefully I can prevent them from having it all at once.
>>
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/wild-gruudstuff/?cat=&sort=cost
Do I have enough lands for a ramp-deck or should I cut cards 1-3 extra lands? I also have Chandra, Flamecaller, Tamiyo's Journal and Time of Need, but no idea what to cut, besides anger.
I also have the problem that if the deck gets going, people complain about me doing "Solitaire".
>>
>>50214613
Let us know how it goes, and see if there are any other cards like Nath or Waste not that benefit from opponents discarding. Off the top of my head I know megrim/liliiana's caress are good for just killing people.
>>
>>50212177
Alesha is a tranny? dropped
>>
Seen a lot of talk about Breya and Atraxa, not that much about Saskia/Yidris/Meletis men. Anybody enjoy those decks or seen them in action? I am sure I'm getting one of those three, and probably Atraxa as well.
>>
>>50214853
I played against Yidris last night. The guy got 1 hit in with Yidris, then played a bunch of cheap spells to make sure to cascade into wheel of fate with waste not out. I copied his In Garruk's Wake twice and he still had a huge board with a bunch of tokens the next turn each time. It's a pretty legit deck out of the box.
>>
>>50214853
Had bought the Meletis precon, going into Commander blind. Didn't get a full game in, but seems like I picked the theme of pillowforting and relying on draw power along going pacifist for most of the game. Satisfies the Johnny in me on paper, so I'm sure I'll enjoy it when I get a full game going.
>>
File: image.jpg (63KB, 265x370px)
image.jpg
63KB, 265x370px
>play pic related with Silas Renn backup
>vomit a shitload of artifact lands mana rocks, equipment, and tokens onto the field
>swing for +10 damage for 1-2 hit kills

I wasn't aware affinity was possible in edh. I could never have been so wrong about a commander before.
>>
File: It.png (524KB, 1580x1621px) Image search: [Google]
It.png
524KB, 1580x1621px
What's a good commander to use Brisela in?
>>
>>50215149

Captain sisay
>>
>>50215149
Bruna, the Fading Light, obviously.
>>
Need suggestions for blowing up Torpor Orb. Naya colors, must be a creature.
>>
File: Let go.jpg (37KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
Let go.jpg
37KB, 960x960px
>>50215214
>Mono white
>>50215275
Worldbreaker senpai
>>
>>50210798
love that Eye lowers the cost of this
>>
>>50214644
I think your land count is fine, but I would add some mana dorks and upgrade your top end from shitty big dudes to game enders. Get a Craterhoof to go with that Avenger, add Triumph of the Hordes, and maybe put in a Kikki combo while you're at it.
>>
>>50215275
Qasali Pridemage
goblin replica
>>
>>50215362
What's the shitty big dudes I have then?
>>
>>50211463
oversold cemetary

foul renewal

grave scrabbler (very cool tech)

sword of light and shadow
>>
Is there an artifact similar to mentor of the meek?
>>
>>50212272
play that one in response to casting your own massacre wurm when they have a handful of fatties on the board
>>
>>50215149
teeg
if you get brisela out with him then you pretty much lock your opponents out of playing the game
>>
Yidris is gonna work really nicely with all the extra combat phase cards, a bunch of small cantrips, and things like charmbreaker Devils and storm
>>
File: Capture.png (73KB, 581x275px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
73KB, 581x275px
why is this allowed?
>>
>>50215390
>Shitty
Emmy, Verdant Force, Vorinclex, Atarka, Oran-Rief Hydra, Rubblehulk, Packleader

>Not being used to full potential in this deck
It, Artisan,

Arlinn and Garrison are also pretty bad, even if they're not big.
>>
>>50215516
Don't forget to give him double-strike
>>
>>50215573
Yeah that too, I just wish his deck didn't have to be completely dismantled right out of the box
>>
File: baneofprogress_bane_zps7bb3e06c.jpg (131KB, 300x420px) Image search: [Google]
baneofprogress_bane_zps7bb3e06c.jpg
131KB, 300x420px
Hey /edhg/, this has been a work in progress over the last week. Any more recommendations from you guys?

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/channel-the-flannel/
>>
>>50215516
I also don't really see him having too many big creatures in the deck,
Mostly mana dorks and maybe some dragons for dragonstorm
>>
>>50215516
Are people under the impression that Yidris needs multiple combat steps so his ability can go off or is there another reason behind it? Once he deals dmg you can cascad as much as you want
>>
File: IMG_6614.jpg (235KB, 750x450px)
IMG_6614.jpg
235KB, 750x450px
>Norn's Annex
>Kazuul, Tyrant of the Cliffs
>Sphere of Safety
>Ghostly Prison

I am so ready.
>>
>>50215683
put in orbs of warding for good measure
>>
>>50215563
Hanweir Garrison is one of my pet cards, due to me having both halves from the prerelease.
I can see Atarka and Verdant Force out, but really, take out Vorinclex? That lovable fella?
>>
>>50215527

Because we don't live in a Communist shitheap Ivan, this is Capitalism at it's best my boy.

Don't like it, don't buy it!
>>
>>50215742
It's seven mana for a guy that makes mana. He's tremendously overrated IMO.

>>50215611
I would run some cheap value dudes like Sylvan Ranger and Viashino Heretic to get your initial bodies for conspiring. Kher Keep is also pretty conspicuous absence.
>>
>>50215657
It's so you can potentially pump him up and attack again, but you can also get another instance of his ability if you land a hit again. Double strike will also do this.

Things like charmbreaker Devils, or haze of rage to pump him and all your mana dorks up, which are now untapped thanks to the extra combat phase cards.
>>
>>50214853
I am picking up Saskia. I plan on altering her, but I am going to stick with the pre-con for a while since my playgroup wants to have a relatively low-powered game.

I saw Meletis Men run last night. There's some interesting stuff in it, but out of the box, the deck pillowforts, group hugs, and does politics, but doesn't do much else. Maybe that's the point? Turtle and let everyone else murder each other?
>>
>>50215683
Don't forget Archangel of Tithes and Windborn Muse.
>>
>>50215824
>hard casting Vorinclex
>ignoring the resource denial aspect

/tg/ will always be bad at magic
>>
>>50215835
I can understand pumping him but extra combat doesn't mean he cascades as maelstrom wanderer does unless he hits another cascade spell Also charmbreaker is the only one that gets the buff from its ability
>>
>>50215935
Yeah I know that about charmbreaker Devils, but it can still potentially kill people by itself if you cast enough spells. Also, each time yidris deals combat damage to a player another instance of his ability is applied, so you'd be cascading for 2 spells on your third main phase
>>
>>50215888
>Play Vorinclex and pass
>Opponent entwines Tooth and Nail, winning on the spot
How's that resource denial working out for you?
>>
File: 1477519455422.jpg (53KB, 512x368px) Image search: [Google]
1477519455422.jpg
53KB, 512x368px
>>50216000
>Also, each time yidris deals combat damage to a player another instance of his ability is applied, so you'd be cascading for 2 spells on your third main phase

What the fuck? Now I don't want to run him anymore. What a waste of $30
>>
>>50216084
Why would that be a bad thing
>>
>>50216098
Because I don't want to be that guy
>>
File: cuntsticks.jpg (17KB, 240x320px) Image search: [Google]
cuntsticks.jpg
17KB, 240x320px
>Withengar and Ormendahl aren't colourless on the other side, so you can't use them in all decks
>>
>>50215527
>manufacturer's SUGGESTED retail price
Gee, I dunno
>>
>>50216110
>the deck is a waste of 30 dollars because it's BETTER than I thought it was
>>
>>50216172
I like having my friends thank you very much. Much of yidris is getting dismantled anyways since the deck is mostly shit but now that I know his full potential I feel degenerate
>>
>>50216197
You sound like a little bitch
>>
>>50216197
>Precon is too shit
>Tuned is too good
Well excuuuuuuse me Goldilocks
>>
>>50216258
That made me laugh. Well done anon.
>>
are there any good commanders for morph
also any good morph creatures
I want to make a deck that's all about morph
>>
>>50216211
And you're a faggot

>>50216258
All I'm saying is its retardedly overpowered compared to the others but you've made up your mind so neck yourself
>>
File: Absolute Madman.jpg (260KB, 931x445px) Image search: [Google]
Absolute Madman.jpg
260KB, 931x445px
Alright
I've done it
I know what I'm building
>>
>>50216302

Yidris is not retardedly overpowered compared to the others

I agree it has the highest potential but not that much above the others

Extra combat steps are expensive so you would need to have like 8-10 mana, and also be able to connect with yidris, in order to get one of these magical double cascade turns
>>
>>50216302
It's actually much weaker than atraxa and Breya
>>
>>50216316
Sooo... you plan to recur Research 26 times? Or do you not know how cascade works?
>>
>>50216298

Morph is bad but Animar can make it playable
>>
>>50216316
Yidris gives cascade, not storm.
>>
>>50216326
They way you would do it is the extra combat card would be close to the most expensive cards in the deck mana wise. Then you fill it with a bunch of cheap stuff to make him unblockable, then spew out a shit ton of 2-3 mana spells then finish up with the better storm cards
>>
>>50216334
can someone explain to me why breya is good? She doesn't look all that great to me
>>
>>50216362
Also a good amount of your creatures should be mana dorks, which would I tap thanks to most of the extra combat turn cards' effects, so they could be used to cast even more cantrips for the second combat knockout
>>
>>50216363
She fits into a lot of infinite mana combos which wins the game by herself with her player damage ability. It's like a sydri artifact combo deck with even more combos and red
>>
>>50216363
we've been waiting forever for an izzet artifact general and she comes with the next two colors most relevant to artifacts, in addition to being a decent finisher with a lot of dumb artifact combos
>>
>>50216363
Fair amount of combos behind her. Flicker her for constant thopters, -4/-4 can kill most commanders and other threats, ashnods altar, and also tainted strike makes her ez

>>50216384
>player dmg
It has to be combat dmg, her ability isn't combat
>>
>>50216401
No I'm saying with infinite mana you can do infinite damage to all your opponents
>>
>>50210842
>16 man game and just everyone hates it.
>16 man game
>16 man game
>16 man game
>16 man game

everyone was miserable anyway.
>>
>>50216442

Yeah scrap mastery + krark clan ironworks + codex shredder is a sweet way of doing it
>>
>>50216442
Ah my bad
>>
File: Kaladesh planeswalker.png (749KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
Kaladesh planeswalker.png
749KB, 640x640px
Alright, should I leave the deck as is, or should I go full zombie combo stuff with zombie lords and Mesmeric Orb shenanigans? The second version would use just about every card in the maybeboard and swap out some of the other less zombie synergy cards. Also, any spicy tech?

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/sidisi-living-dead-girl-1/
>>
Where does /tg/ buy it's cards? Trying to find myself a places that isn't gonna rape me on the price...
>>
>>50216592
TCGplayer, but that's not accessible for everyone. They usually have the best range of prices and being able to optimize your cart can help you get everything in one package usually.
>>
I'm making a Selenia dark angel deck to complement my Crovax the accursed.
what should the theme be?
Crovax is tokens devotion
>>
>>50216638

Yeah, I tried there. But my FLGS is lower (for better conditions) even after exchange rate to canuck dollars.
>>
>>50216592
LGS
10 cents for a common
25 cents for uncommon
rares at $1
the only card I ever bought that cost me more than a dollar was oloro at $1.70
I don't win games, but I'm happy
>>
>>50216725
For the most part, TCGplayer is mostly only worth if you live in the US. Otherwise, the exchange and shipping can get killer.
>>
File: 1453146098787.png (30KB, 233x347px) Image search: [Google]
1453146098787.png
30KB, 233x347px
>>50209040
>putting silence on isochron scepter with unwinding clock on the field
>>
>>50208675
>playing C16 sealed at lgs
>store passes out a land card, you get the deck that doesn't have that color mana
>get a plains
>Ydris
>ok.png
>store is running by a points system along with winning
>if the game goes over 1hr 30m, player with the highest life wins
>playgroup 1, 5 players
>2 saskias, no Atraxa
>Saskia1 plays a bunch of big creatures
>Grouphug steals the creatures and beats the shit out of me with them, killing me
>Breya flails
>Saskia1 kills him
>Saskia2 kills saskia1
>Grouphug kills Saskia2 on the last turn via oblation on his only walker
>2 points(1 from wheeling everyone, 1 for devotion to green)

>Group 2
>Breya, Atraxa, Ydris(me), Ydris2
>Ydris2 keeps playing big creatures
>I keep wiping the board, so what everyone else does play really doesn't stick
>swing with 16/16(academy elite) and Ydris to kill Ydris2
>cascade into boom pile off of some spell
>pass turn
>atraxa ain't got shit
>Breya's turn
>breya has a board finally
>we're informed it's the last turn of the game and we have to complete it
>breya swings in
>boompile because i'm at the highest life and don't wanna lose
>flip coin
>Tails- wait, didn't call it
>call heads
>Flip coin
>heads
>win because I have the highest life total
>3 points(1 for wheeling everyone, 2 for eliminating other Ydris)

group 3 in the next post
>>
>>50216816
>group 3
>Grouphug, Saskia, and me
>grouphug keeps counterspelling and generally dicking around, goes after saskia way too hard so saskia doesn't really get anything done
>so we target him
>he's also generally being lazy about the game, playing things w/o naming them and leaning over his cards so we can't really get a good look
>he discards Rubblehulk twice on his commander when saskia has no blockers, making it a 20+ power card
>attacks saskia
>I cast evacuation to save saskia because I don't want to die next :^)
>no counter
>now saskia isn't attacking me at all even when he can't attack grouphug
>grouphug ends up getting a Blazing Archon on the field, so nobody can hit him
>end up getting 16 cards in hand from all these draw effects, thank god for reliquary tower
>get another 16/16 academy elite
>cast army of the damned, it resolves
>pass
>grouphug slips sphere of safety into play without really telling us
>saskia utter ends the archon using his sunforger to tutor it
>can't attack because he's at 4 life and needs blockers
>my turn
>Windfall my 16 card hand trying to hunt for In Garruk's Wake
>find it, and, oh! Spelltwine!
>In Garruk's Wake resolves
>sphere of safety is still around but my graveyard is hyoooge
>Spelltwine for Decimate, destroy Sphere of Safety, Keening Stone, Grouphug's untapped plains, and the akroan horse that grouphug gave to saskia off of Lurking Predators
>other target is Saskia's boros charm, targeting my 16/16 for double strike
>grouphug is at 61 life
>swing Ydris at Saskia's 4 life, then send 13 2/2 zombies, a double strike 16/16, grouphug's stolen Kazuul, and a few other things at Grouphug for 71 damage
>win and get 10!! points(2 for each other player, 3 for last man standing, 1 for wheeling, 2 because they voted for me for the wildcard)
I guess group 1 was wise to kill me early, because the grouphug deck makes ydris even crazier.
>>
>>50216816
>walker
blocker, sorry, sugar high
>>
>>50216084
Dude just don't run double strike/extra combat stuff and he's fair as fuck. If they can't deal with vanilla trampler hitting them they deserve to get maelstrom wield'd once per spell.
>>
>>50216356
He's for the colours really, I've been wanting to run a Temur combo deck with it, but black I think will tighten up the win.
>>
File: IMG_1495.png (138KB, 223x311px)
IMG_1495.png
138KB, 223x311px
>>50216470
WIDER
>>
File: 1367999496527.jpg (71KB, 571x587px)
1367999496527.jpg
71KB, 571x587px
>>50210842
>16 man game
>>
>>50215683
>>50215714
>>50215884
Koskun Falls, too!
>>
I have never had a global enchant removed because someone else played one, but for people who have how shitty does it feel?
>>
File: 1477300961190.png (57KB, 390x329px)
1477300961190.png
57KB, 390x329px
>mfw Atraxa

How the hell is she balanced?
>>
>>50218058
She's explicit proof wizards hates red. Just like Sakisa is explicit proof wizards still favors blue
>>
>>50217963

You mean a world enchantment right?

Never happened to me

Can't even think of a popular world enchantment
>>
>>50218058

Slow
>>
>>50218070
No, you want to know what's explicit proof that WOTC hates Red? Look at Red's place in Kaladesh.
http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-story/planeswalkers-guide-kaladesh-2016-11-02
>innate five-stage process of invention called the Aether Cycle.
>Elves, Who Inspire
>Vedalken, Who Innovate
>Dwarves, Who Build
>Gremlins, Who Liberate
>Aetherborn, Who Reclaim
G, U, W, R, B respectively.
Here's Red's blurb.
>Gremlins are tenacious scavengers with an insatiable appetite for aether. They congregate wherever aether is plentiful, and they stop at nothing to break into supplies of the glowing, blue substance and feed. As a side effect of their extremely messy feeding, much of the aether is liberated back into the environment. Thus gremlins embody the "liberate" step of the Aether Cycle. Their crucial role is often undervalued by the former owners of their meals.

In the plane about artifice and invention, reds job isn't to have passion or inspiration for art or invention. It's not creativity or love. Reds job on the plane it should flourish the brightest creatively is to EAT AND SHIT AETHER.
>>
>>50213485
atraxa has HS in it
>>
>>50218184
in origins kaladesh red was about art and creativity. Also kaladesh was all about topters in origins but they are hardly around in the actual block its pretty pathetic.
>>
>>50215308
of all the colors white can support is self the best
best removal, best protection, cheap board wipes, consistent lands with landtax effects. of course having her be your commander is viable she also will deal 9 commander damage a hit
>>
>>50215275
Naya?
There's a million and one naya-colored instants / sorceries that deal with Torpor Orb. Why does it have to be a creature? Creatures would be the worst for dealing with torpor orb because a lot of them are etb effects.
As far as (shittier) answers in those colors:

Reliquary Monk.
Qasali Pridemage.
Devout Witness.
Devout Chaplain.
Capashen Unicorn.
Hoard-smelter Dragon.
Nullmage Advocate.
Nullmage Shepherd
Torch Fiend.
Viridian Zealot.
Finally, world breaker.

Or you could just run Return to Dust, Dust to Dust, Divine Offering, Disenchant, Orim's Thunder, Ray of Distortion, Seed Spark, Sundering Growth, Shattering Spree, Deconstruct, Destructive Revelry, Dispeller's capsule, ancient grudge, shattering blow, shattering pulse...

the list goes on and on. Most of them are better than the creatures above, either coming down earlier or with less of a tax.
>>
>>50218296
My deck has a much easier time tutoring for creatures than other card types. I realized today that all of my artifact removal involves a creature entering the battlefield, which is a huge oversight on my part given how hard Torpor Orb wrecks me. I think Nullmage Shepherd is the winner, I just wanted to do one more check for more options. I'll need to acquire it, but Viashino Heretic can fill in until I do.
>>
>>50218344
Return to Dust, Disenchant, and Orim's Thunder are all worth it to you if artifacts and enchantments screw you over a lot. Give them a thought.
>>
>>50208756
what if you target an opponent's counterspell and retarget it to imp's mischief? game over due to apocalyptic stack overflow? imp's mischief retagets it and gets countered, then it never retargeted and never got countered
>>
>>50218414
Thats how you counter a spell with a redirect....
>>
I am looking for help.

A friend bought me my first three colored commander, Nekusar the Mind Razer. He's also my only zombie commander and I own a lot of zombie cards, mostly in blue, black or multicolor u/b.

He also bought me Grixis Grimblade, Anathemancer, Slave to Bolas, Crumbling Necropolis and Grixis Panorama.

Anyways, he bought me the cards because I won a bet we made. I made the bet Trump would win, my friend insisted Trump would lose. Loser of the bet would spend $5 on the other to get them started on a new EDH deck belonging to an tribe and color combination they've never played.

I've never played Grixis and I never played Zombie Tribal. Had I lost, I would have gotten him stuff to start a Rakdos Aggro deck, he hates r/b decks and hates aggro decks.

Anyways, now it's my part. I am going to make a Grixis Zombie EDH deck, but I'm on a $100 budget. Suggestions?
>>
File: Captura.jpg (13KB, 255x75px) Image search: [Google]
Captura.jpg
13KB, 255x75px
>>50216592

No shipping to US tho
>>
>>50218472

MCM a best

>tfw Brexit means that all the UK vendors will get prohibitively expensive.
>>
>>50218375
>Disenchant
Seriously?

That aside, lack of A&E destruction is not my problem; I already have Bane of Progress, Austere Command, Aura Shards, and Resto Shaman. The problem is most of it gets shut down by Torpor Orb, which also ruins my development in general.
>>
>>50216592
Amazon. It always seems to be the cheapest and most reliable for me, but I pretty much only buy 10c cards anyways.
>>
>>50218414
the stack is first in last out bruh, so while your supposed situation is funny here is how it actually goes in order.

1. you cast a spell
2. they cast a counter spell
3. you cast Imp's mischief, changing the target of their counter to itself
4. Imp's mischief resolves, its gone now
5. their counter tries to resolve, its target is already gone so it's countered by game rules for not having a valid target
6. Your original spell resolves without being countered
>>
>>50218460
>Zombie Tribal
Nekusar is not the general for you. Nekusar is a notorious combo general that wheels people to death out of nowhere and people WILL drop the hammer on you if he's in your command zone. If it must be grixis use Thraximundar.
>>
>Gay-boy Grouphug had the most valuable cards in it
>Costs about half of what Atraxa costs from most vendors

The shit
>>
>>50218513
An issue with that is the wording of the bet.
1. The cards purchase must contain one card that MUST be the commander.
2. The cards must be of a color combination the other has never played.
3. The cards must be of a tribal the other has never played.

We designed the bet in such a way that both of us would be more or less punished regardless who won the bet.
>>
>>50218480
1w instant speed destroy target artifact or enchantment is bad?

if you're having trouble with torpor orb, disenchant is amazing.

You could even put it on an isochron scepter.

If torpor orb really ruins your day, maybe you need less ETB effects and more cheap removal for artifacts and enchantments(so that they aren't always dead in hand).
>>
>>50218539
gisa and geralfs are thematic and good zombie support cards. That and a fleshbag marauder provide a good removal source, origins lili and kalitas are great zombie supporting cards. You also could lean a little on the classic nekusar strategy and throw in wheel of fortune, if youre reanimating zombies you can reanimate pitched cards
>>
File: bugsbubby.jpg (101KB, 998x974px) Image search: [Google]
bugsbubby.jpg
101KB, 998x974px
>Try to build a new deck
>Find upgrades to enhance it further
>Repeat until complete
>Nobody wants to play against it anymore

>Start toning it down, removing a lot of the power
>Deck is now completely inert

How the fuck do you strike a balance
>>
>>50218634
I have a Gisa and Geralf, played U/B Zombies for awhile in standard when Eldritch Moon and Shadows Over Innistrad were the newest sets. Stopped playing standard though, couldn't keep up with the way that rotation works. Decided doing the EDH tournaments would be more interesting and so far I'm right. The tournaments for EDH are only $2 (instead of $5 for Standard and $15 for Draft), so I'm also saving money.

My normal deck in EDH is a Szadek Mill.
>>
>>50218643
just play a chaos deck and have fun watching 4 other people try to resolve the massive bullshit you just played
>>
>>50218643
its less about how much you win, and more about how you win. cutting bullshit wincons put of your deck is a good way to make it more fun to play against while still keeping it strong
>>
Ok, I want to build a "free-win" style deck that packs a bunch of hate cards that can result in free wins (RiP/LotV, Bloodmoon/Magus/Thalia 2.0, Chalice, Thorn/Thalia 1.0).
What colours and what cards are essential? RW are a must but what else is needed. Was thinking maybe going for supergays.
>>
What commander would you suggest for a deck that is centered around cards like Possibility Storm? Must contain red.
>>
>>50219102
I have one written up for Arjun, because blue has enough chaos effects for me to want to include them. I did play against a Norin the Wary chaos deck recently though, and it was pretty cool with some ETB trigger abuses.
>>
>>50218936
I mean you could just run:

smokestack, thorn of amethyst, winter orb, tangle wire, sphere of resistance, lodestone golem, trinisphere, static orb, armageddon, strip mine, wasteland, crucible of worlds and people would hate you. I'm planning on doing that with Atraxa as my commander and a ton of planeswalkers but without thorn and golem. might run magus of the tabernacle and magus of the moat too.
>>
>>50216197
jesus you are retarded, didn't even cross your mind NOT to play cards that give additional combat steps?
>>
>>50218936

There aren't really many good candidates, Zedruu exists but that's about it

Honestly I'd forego White and go with Jhoira, especially since she kinda lets you maneuver around a lot of your own hate effects.
>>
>>50214853
Yidris deck can do some real fucking stupid shit if it finds the right cards. Wheeling while you have waste not or Nath of the gilt leaf or sanguinomancer is so fucking good. Late game one hit with yidris can result in 4 or 5 cascades.
>>
Is atraxa really brutal 1v1 or am i just bad at magic? My friend got her and I got breya and we've been playing the precons against each other but her board always manages to get huge before I can do anything.
>>
>>50220212
Breyas deck is more about incremental advantage. Atraxas deck is about shitting out creatures with +1/+1 counters and hitting people in the face. What did you expect in a 1v1 game?
>>
Hey /edh/ I've been playing a lot of combo recently in my group. The thing is that my playgroup is 40% combo and 60% fair magic.

So I threw together a Rafiq deck as a sort of "okay I'll put the infinite combos away" deck.

I'm hoping to play a semi voltron and was wondering if anyone has any experience with Rafiq? I need some secret tech, and strong synergies.

So far I've shoved all the Ghostly Prison effects in it, might go asymmetrical semi-stax.
>>
>>50220430
Finest Hour
>>
>>50220430
You could always go with the Color Checking enchantments like Shield of the Oversoul/Favor of the Overbeing/Steel of the Godhead.
Ancestral Mask is pretty killer if you're running it enchantment voltron.
Armadillo Cloak and Unflinching Courage are pretty good, too.
Any enchantments that give hexproof/regenerate/totem armor are pretty good.
Make sure to pack a bunch of draw into it because he cycles through hands pretty quick when all your enchantments are low-costing.
Eldrazi Conscription is an expensive in mana and cost yet very good include.
Sovereigns of Lost Alara searches you Aura cards when Rafiqi swings.

There's a lot of fun stuff you can do with him, but that's the stuff I've learned from running him semi-budget for the past few years as a hybrid exalted/auratron.
>>
>>50220774
>>50220430
Also Finest Hour ... >>50220691 beat me to it damnit
>>
File: 1323018978376.png (101KB, 201x216px)
1323018978376.png
101KB, 201x216px
>Group decides to get saucy
>allows everyone to start with 3 permanents out
>Sol Ring, Doubling Season, Primal Vigor
>T1 Hardened Scales and Greaves
>Power out Ghave as fast as fucking possible
>Fucker is a 24/24 when he hits

My group decided starting with your 3 best permanents was a bad choice
>>
>>50220774
>>50220691
Thanks guys.

One of my biggest concerns is Rafiq getting removed often, which may or may not happen. Are there any other creatures that can act as a second voltron target? I put Graceblade Artisan and Bruna in as good alternative targets for decking out. Any others off the top of your heads?
>>
>>50218085
Some of them are pretty good too, but expensive cards to get.

Arboria
Chaosphere
Condordant Crossroads
Gravity Sphere
Hall of Gemstones
In the Eye of Chaos
Koskun Falls
Nether Void
The Abyss

Like, the average price of most of these cards is like $30/40. Even higher too.
>>
Played my friend's mostly untouched Yidris deck yesterday. I think it normally just doesn't get there but the gay deck gave me the win (everyone was playing C16 decks)

>Gays cast Howling Mine T2, I play Reliquary Tower
>Turn 4 I cast Boompile, went off first try. Took out 2 commanders, a couple tokens, a couple mana rocks
>Gays cast the tempting offer landsearcher and commander
>Turn 5 Army of the Dead thanks to gays
>Breya player gets hosed by gays' Hushwing Gryff
>Late game I play Entwine, grab gays' Treacherous Terrain he landcycled, grab my own discarded mind's desire I discarded. Mind's Desire grabs my own Treacherous Terrain. Gays completely obliterated, everyone else brought down low
>Have something that grabs a creature from any graveyard and gives it haste, target Academy Elites and take out Atraxa player while he's open
>Breya player concedes
>>
>>50208916
>putting a $50 dollar card in a $35 deck
I wish a nigga would
>>
>>50220805
Reminds me of that guy telling us here that they had a fun game where they got to choose their starting hand, and he went first.

he put down a ton of mana rocks, then wheeled. Everyone was pissed at him.
>>
>>50220805
That`s a silly game.

>mike and trike with asceticism
>brago, tangle wire, winter orb
>gilded lotus, doubling cube, thran dynamo in memnarch
>kiki-jiki, great oak guardian, some third thing to protect your stuff
>zur's weirding, psychic surgery, necrogen mists
>malignus, berserker's onslaught, urabrask
I could go on and on, but this is an incredibly easy thing to break.
>>
Does anyone have any experience running Sek'Kuar, Deathkeeper? Where I'm really struggling is splashing red. There are a few things I want to run that are red, but the vast majority is golgari, and I've never built a jund deck, so my magical christmasland is getting away from me a little. How do you balance a tricolour deck that's not running perfectly equal proportions of things? Do I just focus on green, and hope I can goldfish what I need?
>>
Alright, how many rocks is too many rocks? Picked up Yidris and saw it only had the two, should I fill out the rest of the 2 color rocks and call it done or is that overkill?
>>
File: 6.jpg (52KB, 312x445px)
6.jpg
52KB, 312x445px
>>50220805
>Lightning Greaves, Metalworker, and Darksteel Forge
>pic related as commander
Fuck
>>
>>50221367
Depends entirely on how much ramp you need. I can't help you with the 4c decks because they seem like barely coherent garbage, but in general you want 10 pieces of ramp. I'd probably run around 15 things that manafix in that deck to try and get consistency, particularly since you can cascade off them, so they aren't dead draws the same way they would be in maelstrom wanderer.
>>
Just run some Gruul and get that mana and Token ramp up. Get some card draw.

Also, we don't really balance a tricolor deck especially Jund because Red has a few staples that get taken up by Golgari. However, if you like a ton of the Gruul cards and Rakdos cards then I don't see how you couldn't keep the deck balanced
>>
>>50221467
Well, I guess I can let you in on some of my secrets.

I'm very familiar with building both golgari and gruul decks. I've dreamed about making a Jund deck for over a year, so I have way more ideas than you can fit in the 99. In general, I want to use things to generate card advantage when I inevitably sac things for 3/1 tokens, like Harvester of Souls, Smothering Abomination, Mazirek and Grave Pact. I want to run an attrition-like setup where I out value people through their removal with consistent card advantage. The ramp package is pretty much self-explanatory, I have a standard one I run in any GXx deck, and the card draw is pretty easy to piece together as well.

Where I'm having trouble is with the ratio of each type of land to their proportionate colour. In my Uril deck, it's pretty effortless because the proportion of the devotion in my various mana costs is both simple and well balanced relative to eachother. Like you said, Golgari does a lot of red things better than red, so when I'm just running red as a splash colour, I don't really know how to balance the ratio of each colour of land. I don't have a good selection of fancy lands, so I'm going to be relying primarily on my green ramp.
>>
Whats the best way to profit from lifegain?

I'm looking at making a partner voltron deck with Bruse and Ikra. So ideally will end up with double striking, life link + pseudo life link and so a lot of gains life triggers.

I've got the Well of Souls and then the one where you can turn lifegain into +1 counters, but need more suggestions
>>
File: Image.ashx.jpg (31KB, 223x310px)
Image.ashx.jpg
31KB, 223x310px
I recently discovered reroute and want to use it in my mono red "fuck blue" deck. I am wondering, if my opponent uses his Derevi activated ability, can I change that to my commander?
>>
If you wanted to build one of the 4c commanders and wanted to spend as little as possible, having some previous pool, cards from dismantled Nekusar and Animar decks, parts of Wort/Angry Omnath and built Melek/Mizzix, Jeleva and a very budget Rubinia/Brago which one would you go for?

I'm inclined to gay kings and Yidris because those are the colors from which I have more cards and Atraxa/Breya seem very expensive to build (fuck Saskia I don't like Creatures: the Tappening). Thing is group hug need the Propaganda effects right? I never played it and I fear it will backfire a lot like Nekusar used to.

Or I could just buy some stuff to better my already existing decks, maybe sleeve up Animar again with decent wincons now but damn, it feels so good to plan and build a new deck. What should I do /edhg/?

>>50222186
Water Tower and Sanguine Bond
>>
>>50222199
Answer your own question friend. Tell me, does it say the word "target" in that activated ability?
>>
>>50218535
Atraxa is the popular one because cheap counters that lend themselves to lots of strats. The Gays aren't immediately rewarding to play and they don't have an straightforward strategy.
>>
>>50222204
Go Yidris mother fucker
>>
>>50222204
Yidris dude. Could totally work in everything you mentioned except brago and rubinia.
>>
>>50222272
>>50222303
Storm for wincon? Or just try and outvalue everyone casting the most free spels I can? Or mill?
>>
>>50222318
>outvalue everyone
I think that's one main idea, but another big theme in the precon is taking advantage of wheel of fortune effects. Which screams Nekusar.
>>
File: breya.png (199KB, 265x370px)
breya.png
199KB, 265x370px
I'm going to convert my Sharuum deck into Breya soon, since Sharuum seems to get too much hate and Breya seems more fun. What are some must haves besides Eldrazi Displacer, Goblin Welder, Scrap Mastery both of the Darettis, and more mana fixing?
>>
>>50222204
>Water Tower and Sanguine Bond
I think you mean Water Tower and Exquisite Blood.
>>
>>50223108
No, Sanguine Bond is the one that makes people lose life when you gain life. Exquisite Blood nets you life when opponents lose life. Both could go in though.
>>
File: smug alex jones.jpg (528KB, 1980x1080px)
smug alex jones.jpg
528KB, 1980x1080px
>bought the Atraxa precon
>having fun with it, but not as much fun as I thought I would
>friend of mine buys all the precons
>brings em over so we can have a commander game with all the precons
>i take K & T because ive never played group hug before
>spice of life!!!
>discover that i have more fun hugging with the Gay Boyz than i do with Foot-Fetish Alien Angel
>politic and hug my way into it just being down to me and Saskia
>make him feel the power of pride with fuckhuge Selfless Squire one shotting him

It's a strange and wonderful feel.
>>
>>50223187
I thought you were referring to using Aetherflux Reservoir and Exquisite Blood to just kill everyone in one go.
>>
Yesterday, I bought my first commander deck, stalwart unity. Been having a blast with the format so far, but I'm having more fun when I get Selvala, epxplorer returned on the field than when I play the actual 4-color commander. I'm also really liking Zedruu's whole donation thing. Any advice on how to build Selvala? I feel she scales up really well with the amount of players in a game, not to mention the fact that I've gotten no hate whatsoever up until now.
>>
File: 1478760953794.jpg (89KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
1478760953794.jpg
89KB, 640x640px
How would one go about making a deck with Silas and Kydele partnered?
>>
>just now realizing kynaios and tiro are gay
>now everyone will think I'm a giant faggot because I've said this is my favorite commander
Quick, who's the hottest commander I can have?
>>
>>50223725
Obzedat, Ghost Council
>>
>>50223725

Gwendolyn di corci
>>
File: 1478879898509.jpg (12KB, 316x316px) Image search: [Google]
1478879898509.jpg
12KB, 316x316px
>>50221125
jesus christ that's beautiful
>>
>>50223725
ragnar
>>
>>50223038
that dude from kaladesh that give all your artifacts hexporof is pretty good
>>
>>50221125
what the hell is wheeling in this context? i've only heard of cards wheeling (tableing) in limited
>>
File: 184.jpg (62KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
184.jpg
62KB, 312x445px
>>50224179
>>
>>50223038
sword of the meek for ez win with thopter foundry
>>
File: narset.jpg (16KB, 215x300px) Image search: [Google]
narset.jpg
16KB, 215x300px
Am I an asshole for running Narset as my general?
>>
>all this substanceless nonstop posting about the new products
Look, I get that they're cool, but almost every post is the same, and to be frank, they just aren't that interesting, hence the large number of posters but slow moving thread.

>Oh look, I bought x deck, how do I make it better/did I do good?
>Look at me, I played it with my friends and had some janky shenanagains
>I'm new to magic and I want to start playing commander, but can't be assed to google things or lurk, so I'm going to ask the same questions every thread and predictably get the same answer.
>>
>>50224179
effects in magic are usually nicknamed after the first card that did it.
milling - putting cards from top oflibrary into graveyard (millstone)
wheeling - symmetrical hand discard and drawing 7 (wheel of fortune)
wrathing - destroy all creatures (wrath of god)
bolt, to bolt - deal 3 damage to a creature or player (lightning bolt)
etc, etc.
>>
>>50224264
Odds are good.
>>
>>50224264
seems likely
>>
>>50224264
Not every tryhard is an asshole, but every asshole is a tryhard, so the odds are definitely tilted.
>>
>>50224314
Trying not to put too many extra turn/extra combat phase effects in it, thinking of upgrading her from my Jeleva deck. But my friends seem to hate any deck that can win before turn 20 for some reason and I'm afraid they'll force me not to play it lol
>>
>>50224211
>>50224294
thanks a ton, i guess i just hadnt made the connection there
>>
>>50224363
If you don't want to be an asshole Narset put assault suit in there and let everyone else use her.
It's usually a game ending madness strat but it's really fun.
>>
>>50224264
yes
I used to have a Narset deck, it actually never lost.
>>
>>50224405
>implying
Your post should say "my meta is extremely casual and I retired my tryhard deck because no one wanted to play with me".
>>
File: 1472642858376.png (55KB, 217x190px)
1472642858376.png
55KB, 217x190px
>>50215527
>Be in France
>Nov 11th is a national non worked day
>go to card merchant on Thursday
>can't sell Atraxa yet because muh release date
>tell him to keep one for me
>will pay it 35€ on Tuesday
>mfw online prices
>>
>>50224264
I relate to this feel.
Narset is one of the funnest looking commanders, and I have a foil copy of her ready to go, but I don't want to build an asshole no creatures pseudo-infinite turns/combat phases deck, I just want to build a middling power level version of the deck because I like the cars, but even if I did that, everyone would assume it's just a standard tryhard narset build.
>>
>>50224649
I feel like Jeleva is too slow and doesn't do enough, but Narset is too fast and attracts attention. Wishing there was some in-between commander
>>
>>50224649
Super Friends Narset is a common thing. I've also seen plenty of odd builds like tokens Narset, so it's possible for people to believe you if you tell them your deck isn't tryhard.
>>
>>50224806
>I s-swear guys, my Narset deck isn't like the rest of them!!
>First swing gives them an extra turn and a proteus staff
>By the end of the extra turn they're going to be turning Narset sideways about 32 times before anyone else would even have a chance to untap
That's literally what they all say.
>>
I absolutely love the politics that come into commander
>>
>>50224866

>proteus staff

How is this used in Narset?
>>
>>50224919
You put Narset on the bottom of your library and then reveal cards until "whoops looks like she's the only actual creature in my deck guess I'll just put my entire library on the bottom of my library in any order."
>>
what would be a good commander for political plays? like a deck that deals a lot in helping certain players and inconveniencing others. not full-on kingmaker either, i want this deck to be okay in 1v1 situations. should i go for uncle phel? or gwafa hazid? or what
>>
You guys are gonna laugh, but.
I'm 25 cards away from completing a Ludevic + Vial Smasher deck.

It's pretty great.
>turn 3 vial smasher
>turn 4 ludevic
>ping someone for 3, then I get to draw at end of turn
>deck is basically a mish-mash of Ydris, Kynaios and Tiro, and various Ludevic and Mad Science themed cards
>it mills, it slices, it dices! It casts delve spells for cheap and deals damage to a random opponent with it!
>>
>>50225031
That actually sounds fun to pilot
>>
>>50225031
>it needs to draw a single card out of ninety-eight others!
>>
>>50225074
????
Do you not know about partner?
>>
>>50225031
At least someone is getting enjoyment out of Ludevic
>>
>>50225006
How about Starke or Diaochan?
>>
>>50212294
Cry more. Gay Greeks best commander!
>>
>>50225006
Zedruu
>>
>Wondering why no one is talking about a high toughness deck with Ikra and Sidar
>Looking through my cards to put together a deck for them
>Sees Doran
>Oh yeah, that's why...
>>
File: 95.jpg (77KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
95.jpg
77KB, 312x445px
>checking EDHREC for the first time
>just hitting random button
>all those weird and cool ideas
This site is poison for my wallet.
>>
>>50225055
I've played a couple of games with it on Cockatrice so far, it's super fun. I had to budget-out the decklist(tfw no wheel of fortune) so i could get the last 25, but hey, it's still fun to play.

Basically, I took grouphug and chaos and smashed them together to make them more chaotic. I'd call it 'madness' but that's already a deck focus for other people and i don't want to anger the autists.

Epic Experiment is thematic AND hilarious to resolve, especially since while it's on the stack(and triggering Vial Smasher), an x-cost spell's CMC is whatever you played for X + whatever the rest of the spell costs.

>>50225074
they have Partner, dude. They're both my commanders.

>>50225151
desu i probably wouldn't have made the deck if Ludevic wasn't a thing. Primary motivation for the deck was making a deck around Ludevic.
>>
>>50225256
>desu
why the fuck is that there
did I spontaneously develop brain cancer?

oh, it's probably my deck's fault
>>
>>50225289
you must be losing your mind desu baka senpai
>>
>>50225289
Word filter, senpai
>>
>>50225300
>>50225301
oh, okay. Spontaneous brain cancer, got it.
>>
Fucking Memnarch

This guy's deck is a fucking menace, I need to neuter it as hard as possible
>>
>>50225360
homeward path
mono-red with blue countering and artifact destruction cards

alternatively, play blue permission decks and watch him cry
>>
>>50225360
Memnarch is pretty easy to beat, just hit him really hard before he can establish his rocks. Alternatively, blow up/steal his artifacts and you're going to be in good shape.
>>
>>50222318
Drop the discard and wheel theme and go maximum storm, which means you won't be casting too many big spells, but a shit ton of 2-3 mana things.
>>
>>50222222
>>
>>50213791
But since it's not a creature anymore, does "that creature's controller sacrifices it" even apply anymore?
>>
So, anyone been able to try out Saskia yet? How is her deck out if the box? I haven't made a deck list yet, but just going for a ramp and combat focused deck.

Of course some damage doubling enchantments would be perfect, and so would an assault suit to spread the damage. I think giving her to the named player would be dumb, since they can't attack without hurting themselves also
>>
File: image.jpg (104KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
104KB, 312x445px
>>50222318
Also this card is going to be an MVP in yidris
>>
>>50215148
I'm debating whether or not to use Akiri/Silas partnered or just Breya. How much of the deck did you have to take out when making that commander switch? Obviously things like Ichor/Mycosynth Wellspring get a lot less useful when your commander isn't a sac outlet, but what else?
>>
>>50224294
Furnace? Furnace of rath?
>>
>>50224271
half the fun of commander is getting to tell stories about the awesome games you played with your buddies, anon.
>>
>>50225904
Can't say I've ever heard of someone saying furnace when they mean a damage-doubler
>>
>>50225669
>>50225753
I'm planning the list right now, I have Mind's Desire, Volcanic Awakening, Ignite Memories, Temporal Fissure and Sprounting Vines as storm spells. Also even if I wanted to go full-on storm I'll need the draw wheels can provide.
>>
>>50221125
I think he also stacked his graveyard.
>>
>>50226182
Here's a neat idea; have the majority of the spells in your deck be 3-2 mana spells. So that you can still have counter spells in your deck without having to worry too much about them fizzling off of cascade triggers
>>
>playing Atraxa
>slow hand
>Get a doubling season down
>everyone taps out next turn
>Drop tamiyo, ultimate, elspeth, get 6 guys, drop teferi, ultimate, corpsejack menace, spitting image getting me 3 corpsejack, juniper order ranger, hardened scales, drop a skytherix the blight dragon and haste him
>proceed to kill the tapped out oliro player with 70 health and a sorin, grim nemesis on 9, with the Skytherix with 26 power
>other player concedes
>last player only has tireless tracker
>plays nothing, I attack next turn for an absurd amount of damage
LEL
>>
Alright edh I am starting to have a deck bloat problem. I have 7 edh decks so far, and some of them feel similar and could possibly be collapsed into one singular deck. I'm specifically talking about my Narset and Jeleva decks. Narset aims to spit out chaos effects when she attacks, shit like Knowledge Pool, Warp World, Shared Fate, Possibility Storm. Jeleva's goal is to basically just to copy my opponent's decks. Steal their spells with Jeleva, Copy their spells and creatures, or cast their spells from their graveyard. Both are decent fun, but I feel like both themes could be used in a Yidris deck. He has all the colors needed (Narset is basically splashing white), has a chaotic feel, can't just go off without doing something in combat, and lets me get multiple effects off in one turn. Should I keep all the decks as are or collapse them into one?
>>
>>50223689
If your group is anywhere near smart they will always try to kill selvala ASAP, so be prepared for that
>>
File: 635032494363889026.jpg (341KB, 480x672px) Image search: [Google]
635032494363889026.jpg
341KB, 480x672px
Here, I updated and like I said I would, here my current blue Braids list

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/blue-eyes-braids/
>>
new thread?
>>
>>50209148
Planer choas man
Thread posts: 349
Thread images: 56

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.