[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>want to play a proper tabletop RPG or a similar game system

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

File: talisman.jpg (178KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
talisman.jpg
178KB, 500x500px
>want to play a proper tabletop RPG or a similar game system
>don't have the knack for quick decision making or witty storytelling skills to make the game anything but a drag for the other players
Should I just stick to casual trash or are these things something you can feasibly develop by practice over time?
>>
>>50207720
it's something that can be feasibly developed by practice over time, yeah.
>>
>>50207720
Assuming you're talking about playing in a game as a character, not GMing?

Can you tell us a bit more about your concerns? Not outgoing enough, scared of being dramatic, number crunching, etc?
>>
>>50207760
What attracts me to the games are actually the mechanical aspects, such as the number crunching and having a big ruleset to delve into and craft synergies/"exploit" rules and whatnot. What gives me troubles are the more dramatic, theatrical aspects and outside-the-rules type lateral thinking (the kind that the GM accepts because it makes sense for the situation).
>>
>>50207792
You don't absolutely need to be witty or funny, but it helps. If you can come up with good ideas or something cool to say then the GM is going to give more spotlight time on your character because you don't make him groan whenever you open your mouth, but if you just want to hang out with friends and be a contributing member of the team you can make do without. You might end up as a greentext story about that guy who never says anything but that's as bad as it can get. Liking number crunching and finding exploits will lead to you being called a minmaxer and rollplayer, but if your group is okay with that then there's no harm in that.
>>
>>50207895
I don't have a group yet but I just don't know what to expect desu. Whether it's more prevalent that all the guys there will be staging shit like some elaborate radioplay or they'll be more invested in the game in the sense following the written rules. I'm arriving from a videogame background though where I was "that guy" that spent 2 hours deciding what to name his character.
>>
File: unnamed.png (2MB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
unnamed.png
2MB, 1600x900px
Have you considered middle ground titles, like Descent or the recently released Conan game?

They're designed to provide an RPG-esque mechanical experience in a box, and might let you experiment with RP without it detracting from the experience.

Alternatively, pic related might be relevant to you. It's a vidya local co-op RPG, but it's a really interesting game. It runs on a computer but each player uses their phone or tablet as a controller. The really interesting thing? It provides dialogue prompts to the players rather than doing audio dialog for you. I played it with some non-tabletop friends and they got super into it, the few initial prompts were enough to get them roleplaying as their characters like it was the most natural thing in the world.
>>
>Should I just stick to casual trash

I sure hope pic isn't related, because then we'll have some issues.
>>
>>50208467
Anon, Talisman is not a very good game. You might have had good times with your friends playing it, but it's objectively a roll-and-move ameritrash time waster.
>>
>>50208467
Talisman is pretty much Monopoly with wizards
>>
File: IMG_1275.jpg (57KB, 621x502px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1275.jpg
57KB, 621x502px
>>50208483
>>50208759

What's wrong with monopoly? And what's wrong with having a good time with friends? And what's wrong with a more RNG type game play that still offers simple but complex situations every once and awhile?

Is a RPG that requires a DM, near complete customizability that takes multiple sessions to compete fun? Of course it is. But I also have to have a DM and enough time and energy to do all of that stuff, when in reality all I want to do is just play an hour long game with some more casual friends.
>>
>>50208883
It lasts too long, heavily RNG based and the player interaction is barebones, there's little strategy to the game overall. Any game that makes you want to get it over with and concede 4/5 of the times you're playing it probably isn't very good.
>>
>>50208883
>What's wrong with monopoly?
Nothing about Monopoly has complex situations. The game is easily broken down so you know what are the most stastically powerful properties and hoping RNG permits you the chance to buy them before someone else does, or that if you missed the chance you hope the buyer doesn't know these statisics as well when you trade them for it. The game's length can go on for excessive amounts of time because the goal isn't to win, but make everyone else instead lose.

Fucking Catan is a better designed game, and it's shite in its own right, but it at least has a real objective instead of being an awful survival-based game.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.