[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

MTG Standard Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 305
Thread images: 40

File: CsiShoEUEAAOlLJ.png (1MB, 744x1039px) Image search: [Google]
CsiShoEUEAAOlLJ.png
1MB, 744x1039px
How was FNM last night?

What did you play?
>>
Standard Metagame
>>
>>50207576
Good because it was not standard FNM, and thus i had not need to play this shit excuse of a format
>>
>>50207730
OP here, I play modern and standard, it's fun to discuss both.

Also you ought to give Standard a try, it's pretty interesting currently.
>>
Played UR Thermovisions
Does Torrential gearhulks have a place in this deck?
I've seen it only run in the control variant with Dynavolt tower and not with the Thermo-alchemist version.
Should I cut the Torrential gearhulk entirely?? i've acquired a 3rd and want to use them but don't know if they're valid.
Also how do you folks feel about Thing in the Ice?

My list

Land
4 Wandering Fumarole
4 Shivan Reef
3 Highland Lake
8 Mountain
3 Island
1 Geier Reach Sanitarium

Creatures
4 Stormchaser Mage
4 Thermo-Alchemist
1 Torrential Gearhulk

Planeswalkers
2 Chandra, Torch of Defiance

Noncreature Spells
4 Galvanic Bombardment
2 Tormenting Voice
4 Incendiary Flow
4 Collective Defiance
2 Unsubstantiate
2 Lightning Axe
4 Fiery Temper
4 Fevered Visions

Sideboard
3 Weaver of Lightning
3 Negate
3 Bedlam Reveler
3 Niblis of Frost
2 Ceremonious Rejection
1 Torrential Gearhulk
>>
>standard failed to fire off, 6 man draft happens instead

>fresh meat at the table too, a recent convert from YGO so it was fun teaching them the game

>went 2-1 with BUG Energy

Kaladesh is still a lot of fun to draft.
>>
>>50207791
Shivan Reef is suppose to be spirebluff canal.
>>
Got lucky and didn't face the local control, went 4-0. Got 3 packs. No idea what to do with them. Met some cool people.

Good night, I'd give it two thumbs up.
>>
>>50207791
1 of Gearhulk might be good but its more likely to be a dead card. Thing in the Ice however is probably the best 2drop you can ask for in the deck and makes a better finisher to boot.
>>
>>50207819
that sucks, we had a decent turnout at our FNM

16 people, but we only play 3 rounds, i went 3-0 and wanted to play another ;_;

MY ISSUE HOWEVER! is that I tried to get 4 promo fiery tempers, which I accomplished but didnt have cash so i offered to buy a pack for one of the tempers from a friend.

Motherfucker pulled a gearhulk which I immediately traded a playset of promo fiery tempers for.

I played the list I posted above, beat someone borrowing the grixis dredge deck, then i won the mirror, then I beat some random homebrew that i assumed was gonna be a Pummeler deck but it wasnt.
>>
File: [thermo].jpg (28KB, 251x356px) Image search: [Google]
[thermo].jpg
28KB, 251x356px
>>50207852
See, I agree, I like Thing in the Ice a lot but the issue is that it clogs the 2 drop slot.

A hand with some burn, a Thing, a Thermo, and a Stormchaser feels so weird. I'd rather go all in on the pinger/visions plan, which stormchaser fits a bit better, essentially being a ping for every spell i play.

Have you tried Furtive Homunculus?

also How does my Sideboard look?

These are some of my options for other slots

Goblin Darkdwellers
Goldnight Castigator
Radiant Flames
Lightning Axes
Thing in the Ice
>>
>>50207866
It's fine, store I'm at is still relatively new and doesn't have the biggest clientele yet, and again Kaladesh draft has yet to overstay its welcome for me so it's an acceptable plan B.

I do wish I could get some play in for my Vehicles deck but the rollback to old rotation gives me some extra time for that.

One small issue though is that since there's only so many Kaladesh cards I'm the set I'm still interested in collecting I just end up shipping my draft pile straight to the counter. It's a weird feeling coming off from years past where I'd just hoard all my cards for no good reason, I have a very small number of loose Kaladesh cards despite having opened up more Kaladesh than any other set I can think of. I'm at a point I don't even want to crack my prize packs because I feel their value is better utilized in more drafts than trying to spin the Masterpiece roulette.
>>
>>50207921
>*in the set I'm still interested in collecting*

Bah, autocorrect.
>>
>>50207921
I feel you, I gave like 4 longboxes of commons to the local shop because they were taking so much space, I pretty much only keep Rares and uncommons along with playable Commons. everything else I leave at the shop

I like cracking packs a lot, so I would probably just pay to draft separately lol.
>>
>>50207914
I take thing over Stormchaser and it hasn't dissapointed me yet since thing slows them down more and is less likely to eat removal.

I have not tried the homunculus, I might next week.

Your board looks fine to me.

ALSO I didn't notice the Galvanic Bombardment earlier- how is that working out for you?
>>
>>50207966
i've only recently bumped it up to 4, it was 2 at FNM tonight and it was never super relevant except when I killed a some x / 5 creature with incendiary flow and bombardment.

I really want it just for the tempo gain of taking my opponent off their 1 drop creature and to get more pings off of thermo-alchemist.

I do want to note however that I attempted the Dynavolt Control version of the deck and absolutely hated it, I ended up trying a split of Dynavolt and Fevered visions while running harnessed lightning and it felt like such a mess.
You definitely have to choose one plan

The Mirror Match I had was with a friend of mine, he runs Homunculus and the older Chandra from Oath, and it was pretty interesting. After out official matches we swapped decks and played again and I beat him again with his deck lol. Homunculus didn't seem bad, it honestly felt like it could compete with Stormchaser for his slot.

The lack of Flying is a bit unfortunate though, but 4 toughness is pretty relevant.
>>
>>50207583
The name Azorius aggro just seems so wrong to me
>>
>>50207914
Homunculus matches up incredibly poorly against Liliana.
>>
>>50208149
very true.

When is Weaver of lightning good out of the board?

havent seen a lot of token decks
>>
>>50208253
Not him but AFAIK Weaver, combined with Galvanic, looks to tear up go-wide decks.

I always assumed it does a decent job of harassing something like UW.
>>
I've been thinking about G/W decks in this standard, and their difficulty against the control variants.

Hermit of the Natterknolls is the sideboard to keep up. Thoughts?
>>
>>50207576
>How was FNM last night?
Don't know. Couldn't make it. Having no car is suffering.

>What did you play?
Modern rats vs. the AI in Forge. Ninjitsu is a fun mechanic that needs to be brought back.
>>
>>50208656
As soon as we return to Kamigawa, we can get ninjitsu back. ;_;
>>
What'a the best way to practice standard without actually owning the cards?
>>
>>50208656
I can see them rebranding it in the near future, Wizards seems to be experimenting a lot with cost reduction mechanics lately.
>>
>>50208927
Forge
>>
>>50208903
I remember MaRo saying something to the effect that Ninjutsu was one of the only good things to come out of Kamigawa, but that it's name was too restrictive to bring back without falvor clash.

Though I don't know how that's fine when prowess comes back with no problem.
>>
>>50209068
Ninjitsu and flavour were the good things. At that point, you can just make a new set and scrap all the old mechanics.

And prowess is a very neutral word, I think it's fine.
>>
File: 635942969575394281.jpg (163KB, 1016x1440px) Image search: [Google]
635942969575394281.jpg
163KB, 1016x1440px
How's R/B Zombies? Deck looks really fun to play. Any weakness other than the sideboard Kalitas or flaying tendrils?
>>
>>50209112
Getting Declared in Stone is kind of annoying if you put two Amalgams out at the same time.
>>
>>50209068

Have the Jacestice League run into a former Oldwalker who went around creating Ninjutsu school all across the Multiverse. BAM! You can have ninjutsu on all the planes that aren't exclusively tied to a single mythological source like Theros.

Or just go back to Kamigawa.
>>
>>50209191
Marketing thinks Kamigawa is suicide, until Tamiyo and the Kamigawa subplot in the lore start to do something about the popular sentiment of Kamigawa we ain't touching that plane in a regular block expansion for the foreseeable future.

Besides with the current push for all inclusiveness they'll probably feel another Asian demographic should get some spotlight first. Thinly veiled rehash of the Tale of Chunhyang to pander to South Koreans, anyone?
>>
>>50209237

Isn't Wizards working off decade old data regarding Kamigawa? What would it take to get them to look again, see if they is some actual interest.
>>
>>50209237
>>50209291
I'm sure. Marketing is a retarded drooling sludgemonster ruining magic's flavour, and shouldn't be listened to.
>>
>>50209191
I think they should just make a minor change and relabel it like they did with Chroma and Devotion.
>>
>>50209328
Look man it's all fun and games until you pull a Homelands, and Kamigawa pulled a Homelands.
>>
>>50209868
I'll take a thousand low-powered, awesome lore sets to one Zendikar, thank you.
>>
>>50209999
OG Zendikar?

Ey fuck you buddy that shit was excellent.
>>
>>50207842
you went 4-0 and only got 3 packs? that's so fucking weak
>>
>>50210394
Either A) They're not used to a standard community there or B) It was because the cost of entry was a toonie.
>>
>>50210431
>toonie.
my fellow leafbro
>>
>>50210450
Oh yeah, I went to Timmies after droppin' a toonie on some caahrds, eh?
>>
>>50207583
I still dislike that midrange (and perhaps tempo) are listed under Aggro. I think that they are enough of their own thing to get their own category.

Anyway, my store does Draft. Finally went for first FNM since... I forgot when. Drafter W/B fliers went 0-2, 2-0, and 1-0 in my matches. Lost second game of the first match and first game of the third match by a hair. Why do I play this game again?
>>
>>50209350
I think MaRo said that Ninjitsu (and maybe Bushido) are most likely to come back with more flavor neutral names so they could be in a variety of settings.
>>
>>50207791
i was playing grixis visions for a bit. dynavolt tower is a good card in this deck and the black splash for unlicensed disintegration is basically free.

i really didnt like gearhulk in the deck though. not what you want to be doing at all.

thing in the ice is fine. perfectly valid option but you'll need to prepare for it to eat every single stasis snare in the room and it loses points against Flash because they play flash dudes and mage.

to be completely honest with you, adding dynavolt and harnessed lightning was strong as fuck because with tower you generate 5 energy and can go to face for 3 off the tower immediately or dome their biggest guy for 5.

i took a week off the deck to play grixis dredge again because it's a cute deck but the mana is really fucking hard in 3 colors because your engine spell is red, your recursive things require black and your payoff is double blue.
>>
>>50207776
>Also you ought to give Standard a try, it's pretty interesting currently.
agreed. i play all three constructed formats weekly and standard is definitely more interesting than modern currently.
>>
>>50209154
i run eternal scourge to fuel my scrapheap scroungers and kek heartily at exilefags.
>>
File: elder deep fiend.jpg (20KB, 241x347px) Image search: [Google]
elder deep fiend.jpg
20KB, 241x347px
My deck is kinda inconsistent, but a blast to play.

I'm still not sure what to do about my mana base though

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/emergent-properties/
>>
I've been playing R/G Pummeler and I'm sick of getting demolished by Jeskai Control. 4 blossoming defenses aren't enough to push through all the immolating glares, radiant flames and harnessed lightnings, and even when I manage to get a creature to survive I eat a blessed alliance. What could I sideboard to help against that? I want to get 1 Arlinn Kord and maybe gearhulks, but not sure if they will be of any help.
>>
>>50207576
I played Pauper teachings. Was fun, I fucked up really badly.
>>
>>50211187
>http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/emergent-properties/

here u go f@m
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/eternal-grixis-1/
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/ur-dredge-fiend/
>>
File: Fevered+Visions+%5BSOI%5D.jpg (32KB, 223x311px) Image search: [Google]
Fevered+Visions+%5BSOI%5D.jpg
32KB, 223x311px
>>50211142
No, I get why Dynavolt is good, it's just that it competes too heavily with fevered visions, theyre separate but similar decks.
>>
>>50211186
I wonder if there's a flavour reason why Etermal Scourge can be killed by Blessed Alliance
>>
>>50211435
jam two towers into it and get back to me breh.
>>
>>50211493
i wont discount it as a possibility
>>
>>50211540
breh i played 3/3 split, it just felt clunky, same reason I cut Thing in the Ice, just too much competition with thermo and stormchaser, dilutes my line of play
>>
>>50207842
>Got 3 packs. No idea what to do with them.
Crack 'em you fuck
>>
I just picked magic back up via MTGO so no FNM for me. Running a cheapo BW fabricate that's been fun. I defeat myself about half the time I lose, so it's nice to learn from my mistakes. I've had some fun games, and I look forward to upgrading my deck. Standard is actually pretty diverse which is nice. I see a lot of different stuff, though a few things keep coming back around.
>>
>>50214006
>BW fabricate
go on.
>>
>>50209112

Pretty solid actually. Kalitas and Flaying Tendrils can generally be answered with a good Lost Legacy/Transgress after board. The biggest issue is mostly Stasis Snares so be sure to name them after board against W based decks.

>>50209154
Not really a concern considering Dec in Stone is sorcery speed and you'll get the Amalgam's out at end step. Afterwards you have lines where you can emerge into Distended Mindbender's or Elder Deep Fiend's or even sac them to flip a Voldaren Pariah to save from the targetted effect.
>>
File: dg.jpg (10KB, 178x248px) Image search: [Google]
dg.jpg
10KB, 178x248px
fairly new player here. I need a card that will let me sacrifice as many creatures as I can; with the intention to sac a ton of tokens from liliana and convert them into counters on a diregraf collosus
>>
3-1 with tamiyo spirits. 3-1, 3-1 and 4-0 at last 3 fnms
>>
>>50214441
there aren't really any repeatable sac outlets in standard anymore. ayli and trafficker are the only two i can think of right now.
eliminate the competition lets you sack as many as you can
>>
>>50207576

Chandra looks like a dude in that picture.

I love it!
>>
>>50214585
>trafficker
eliminate the competition might do it. would I need 10 target creatures if I sac 10 tokens? or could I sac 10 tokens and destroy 3 creatures letting the other 7 sacs not do anything?
>>
>>50214656
you can target the same creature multiple times, yeah
>>
I'm pretty new and trying to build my first semi-serious deck but am very limited on resources.
How can I improve what I have currently? I'm trying to do a WB control/energy sort of thing with a bunch of draw control.
Thanks in advance!

Land
2 Aether Hub
1 Evolving Wild
10 Island
11 Plain

Artifacts
2 Glassblower's Puzzleknot
1 Smuggler's Copter
1 Dynavolt tower

Creatures
3 Bastion Mastodon
4 Aether Theorist
2 Janjeet Sentry
2 Aethersquall Ancient
2 Gearshift Ace
2 Visionary Augmenter
1 Cataclysmic Gearhulk
1 Torrential Gearhulk
1 Propeller Pioneer

Noncreature Spells
4 Revoke Privleges
1 Skywhaler's Shot
2 Refurbish
1 Era of Innovation
2 Impeccable Timing
1 Built to Last
2 Select for Inspection
1 Confiscation Coup
1 Zealous Strike

Sideboard
none lol
>>
>>50214358
https://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/budget-magic-50-14-tix-standard-wb-fabricate

Pretty much this, but I maindeck Kimball and angelic purges
>>
File: ennui.png (487KB, 900x675px) Image search: [Google]
ennui.png
487KB, 900x675px
>play like 6 games where I can't seem to find any lands
>either mulligan down to like 3 cards or take a hand with 2 lands and get nothing else ever
>finally having a decent draw
>play well, next turn I'm going to combo off and win
>enemy declares a chump attacker
>enemy idles for 10 minutes with priority and loses to the timer
>>
I am new to MTG. Posted here. >>>50203223
>I've already bought the Kaladesh box (with 10 boosters) 3 eldritch moon boosters, got a blue/black control deck for playing a learn-the-game tournament, and the blessed vs cursed duel deck.

How do I know which of my cards are legal in Standard? I know my eldritch and kaladesh ar. But what about this blue black deck? (it's got blue cards like catalog, disperse, ancient crab, cloud manta / black cards like mind rot, demon's grasp, vampire noble, untamed hunger)? What of my cursed vs blessed?

I also own a bunch of cards from 2011 which I know mostly aren't legal, but I have a couple lightning bolts that are legal??? I find it confusing.
>>
>>50218724
To be more specific, this is the full deck list. The only thing I have altered myself is swapping 1 land of each for 2x Dismal Blackwater and the normal mind rot for a holo;
2x Ancient Crab
Sphinx of Magosi
Air Servant
Cloud Manta
Umara Entangler
Niblis of Dusk
Stitched Mangler
Coralhelm Guide
Pore Over the Pages
Roiling Waters
Sweep Away
Catalog
Anticipate
Disperse
2x Sleep Paralysis

2x Walking Corpse
Rottenheart Ghoul
Hagra Sharpshooter
Nightmare
Sengir Vampire
Zulaport Cutthroat
Vampire Envoy
Vampire Noble
Mind Rot
Bone Splitters
Dutiful Return
x2 Demon's Grasp
Tar Snar
Untamed Hunger
Dead Weight

Blighted Fen
Blighted Cataract
2x Dismal backwater
and the rest is swamp/islands
>>
>>50218724
full list of standard legal cards
http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Search/Default.aspx?action=advanced&format=+[%22standard%22]
standard legal blue, black and colorless cards
http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Search/Default.aspx?action=advanced&format=+[%22standard%22]&color=|[U]|[B]|[C]
>>
>>50218906
Thanks anon.
>>
>>50218906
also bear in mind not everything in the duel decks is standard legal either
>>
>>50218724
Standard legal cards are those that belong to the sets Battle for Zendikar, Oath of the Gatewatch, Shadows over Innistrad, Eldritch Moon, Welcome 2016 and Kaladesh. To know the set a card belongs to, look at the lower left corner, it has a 3 letter code.

There are two exceptions to this:
A card from an earlier edition can be played as long as it has been reprinted in the aforementioned sets. For example, grasp of darkness from Scars of Mirrodin (2011l was reprinted in OGW and is therefore legal.
Cards that belong to duel decks are not legal despite being the same cards, though nobody will bitch at you if you play them in FNM environment.
Lightning bolt is not legal in Standard, by the way, but it's a Modern staple.
>>50218724
The starting decks are bad, but it's better than nothing. You should consider playing more copies of each card, 4 of each is the maximum and it makes the deck much more consistent.
Dismal Backwater is not legal, it's from Khans of Tarkir. The rest of the deck seems to be.
>>
>>50218945
>Cards that belong to duel decks are not legal despite being the same cards
wait really
>>
>>50218964
Does this apply to all cards?
I swapped out my lands with ones I had from 2011 with different art, so I would have a range of different looking land. Are they not legal because they were printed that long ago- despite being basic land?
What about my holo mind rot? Is that not legal either?
>>
>>50218979
no eariler printings are legal in standard

but according to >>50218945 copys found in duel decks are not which is something i have never heard

your mind rot will be fine as will your lands
>>
>>50207583
The guys responsible for deck names at mtgtop8 should be shot.
>>
>>50218964
i just checked and i have no idea where anon got that idea from

hell duel decks are legal in vintage and legacy so i dont see why a duel deck version of a standard legal card would not be legal
>>
>>50207583
most of those decks have a proper name they should be using instead
>>
>>50218964
>>50218985
>>50219016
My bad, reprints are legal indeed.
>>
i dont think this deck i built is very good
but im gonna give it a try anyway
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/13-11-16-ur-dynavolt/

i just need to work out the rest of the sideboard

maybe i should cut back on the burn for more control
>>
>>50219332
alright i sorted out a sideboard

Land (22)
4x Evolving Wilds
4x Highland Lake
1x Island
1x Mountain
4x Sequestered Stash
4x Spirebluff Canal
4x Wandering Fumarole
Artifact (4)
4x Dynavolt Tower
Instant (16)
4x Galvanic Bombardment
4x Geistblast
4x Glimmer of Genius
4x Harnessed Lightning
Creature (10)
2x Aethersquall Ancient
4x Stormchaser Mage
4x Thing in the Ice Flip
Sorcery (8)
4x Confiscation Coup
4x Take Inventory
Sideboard (15)
4x Aether Meltdown
2x Aethersquall Ancient
1x Burn from Within
4x Insidious Will
4x Negate

i am leaning towards ditching the whole dam deck idea.
>>
How good a standard deck will I be able to make with only Kaladesh cards?

Already got 2 smugglers copters.<l:^)
>>
>>50219386
I would say fairly decent

G/R/u energy is like 90% kaladesh and can win FNM
>>
>>50219386
Both Boros and Mardu vehicle decks works pretty well with KLD only, and also G/R Energy and Affinity Metalwork Colossus.
>>
>>50214561
show me dat list bish
>>
>>50207576
Hey been out of magic for a bit.

How's that Chandra doing? Breaking the format as the new Red-Jace?

What's top deck to beat right now?
>>
>>50220962
She's ok and no, not even close

And at my store it seems to be Grixis Control, play against it multiple times every time I go.
Followed by UW(r) flash stuff.
RW Vehicles/aggro is popular apparently but I never see it.
>>
>>50221075
>She's ok and no, not even close
Haha, yeah. Imagine that.

What's UW Flash running?
>>
>>50221131
Spell Queller, Avacyn, Gideon, Selfless Spirit, Stasis Snare, Thraben Inspector and I'm not sure what else usually. When I've played against it it's usually some combination or counterspells, Immolating glare, Blessed Alliance and the odd Torrential Gearhulk floating around.

Sometimes there's red in there for Radiant Flames and Harnessed Lightning.
>>
File: 1-1.png (349KB, 980x238px) Image search: [Google]
1-1.png
349KB, 980x238px
>>50207576
Alright, /tg/, I need your help. I need to do a statistical analysis on the top 8 decks from the most recent pro tour. I can gather the data I need on win rate and composition statistics from MTGGoldfish and the mothership, but there's one other thing I have to do. I need to calculate how often any given deck would need to mulligan, as a measure (combined with winrate) of how reliable that deck is. The thing is, I'm not very good at Standard, so I won't know when to mulligan when given a sample hand. I'll take 5 sample hands from each of the top 8 decks, screencap them, and post them here. Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to look at each sample hand and tell me whether to keep or mulligan, assuming that it's game 1 and you don't know what your opponent is playing.

Here's the first hand, from Pierre Dagen's U/R spells deck. Keep or Mulligan?
>>
>>50222417
Bump? Anyone?
>>
>>50222417
I'd keep it I think, but I'm prone to. Getting the dynavolt tower out early is ket, and since its game 1 the opponent won't probably have artifact removal.
>>
File: 1-2.png (360KB, 984x250px) Image search: [Google]
1-2.png
360KB, 984x250px
>>50222853
All right, thanks. I'd like a few more opinions - hopefully the thread will be less dead come evening - but for now, here's the second one.
>>
Thinking of finally investing and getting back into standard again. Anyone have a RG Pummler list
>>
Why does Sky Skiff exist?
>>
>>50223327
Because making a smuggler's copter a 1/3 would have been too logical.
>>
>>50223503
Wish they had left it as 3/2. That way, the copter wouldn't make both skiff and responder useless.
>>
>>50223032
https://www.mtggoldfish.com/archetype/standard-g-r-energy-29498
I'm running this one, but with the 4 Incendiary Flow on sideboard, and 3 Built to Smash on main.
It's real fun but consider playing it as energy zoo without aggro if your local meta has a lot of control, since pummeler is extremely weak to all kinds of hate and you will rarely draw more than 1 blossoming defense before turn 4.
>>
>>50224292
>without aggro
*without pummeler
>>
>>50220935
you still here?
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/kaladesh-spirits-3/
>>
>>50225477
wrong list
thinking about adding an avacyn and dropping a mausoleum wanderer and adding 2x rebuffs and 2x spell shrivel to the SB, dropping a negate
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/kld-bant-spirits-2/
>>
>>50214985
Your gonna want a sideboard even if it's just more of the same.
>>
>>50223327
Draft. Even a strictly worse smug cop can raise hell when you go rw vehicles.
>>
>>50214441
If you've ultied Lilliana you don't need to do anything more than that to win the game, it's almost impossible to lose from that position senpai
>>
Modern player here, how strong are metalwork colossus decks? Pulled one while blowing money on packs and I'm considering throwing a standard deck together
>>
>>50226522
Not awful, but bad matchup vs jeskai control
>>
>>50226545
What isn't a bad matchup against Jeskai control, exactly?
>>
>>50207576
Went 3-0-1 with scooter-less Bant midrange.

Won against GW Planeswalkers, UR Dynavolt, and GB Delirium, then lost in the fourth round to RB Aggro.

Without Inspectors or Scooters the deck definitely lacks explosive starts, but it hits so hard in the mid game that it was able to bully even GB delirium after mulling to 6. Thalia and Tamiyo (no surprise there) wese definitely an all-star. In the games they couldn't deal with either the turn I cast them they'd spend the rest of the game trying to catch up to the tempo and resource advantage they gave. Not even the fact that most of my creatures die to everything UR Dynavolt could throw out was able to slow me down, and if I was able to stick a Verdurous Gearhulk turn 5 it was basically game every time. I'm very happy with this build.

end blog post
>>
>>50226550

Not sure if its a statistical outlier due to builds, but my RB zombies deck beats my friend's Jeskai control pretty handily every time we get paired against each other. Getting them with an Abolisher of Bloodlines while Avacyn's trigger is on the stack makes me rock hard.
>>
>>50226755
your friend is retarded for not leaving stasis snare up at all times while voldaren pariah is on the field
>>
>>50227113
or literally any removal
>>
>>50225493
looks really spicy, i might have to try this at FNM. See if i can get results against uw flash
>>
There's a non-0 chance Consul's Lieutenant is going to come back in Aether Revolting. How does Renown work if you regularly drop +1/+1 counters on things?
>>
>>50227113
Doesn't have to be on the field. Can madness it in.
>>
>>50228313
And every source of exile removal that is being held in hand for a Pariah is one not being used my 3 power, recursive beaters.
>>
Only store in town that does non Modern FNMs fucked up and isn't getting promo Fiery Temper, the only FNM card I wanted this year. Just fuck me up senpai
>>
>>50228916
i ended up trading for four of them on friday and then trading them all away for a torrential gearhulk

;_; i still want my deck pimped out
>>
This guy >>50218724 again.
Gone through the Blessed vs. Cursed decks I bought. Only 6 cards are standard legal haha.
Black: Mindwrack Demon (holo), Tooth Collector.
Blue: Compelling Deterrence, Pore over the Pages
White: Eerie Interlude, Topplegeist (x2).

Just thought I would update to save anyone else the time if they were curious.
>>
>only ever play on cockatrice
>go to FNM for first time ever other night
>never drafted before
>never even played this set
>1-2, 2-1, 1-2

I'm really happy with myself. Everyone was ncie and explained the proccesses to me. One guy even pulled out his phone and showed me which cards were best for each color setup and stuff...I'm actually very excited to go again friday, I almost can't even wait!

Anyone wanna play magic with me on cockatrice? Lol
>>
>>50218846
Okay I have edited my deck. What do you guys think?

2x Ancient Crab
2x Umara Entangler
2x Sleep Paralysis
Sphinx of Magosi
Air Servant
Cloud Manta
Niblis of Dusk
Stitched Mangler
Coralhelm Guide
Pore Over the Pages
Roiling Waters
Sweep Away
Catalog
Anticipate
Disperse
Turn Aside
Wind Drake

2x Walking Corpse
2x Demon's Grasp
Rottenheart Ghoul
Hagra Sharpshooter
Nightmare
Sengir Vampire
Zulaport Cutthroat
Vampire Envoy
Vampire Noble
Mind Rot
Bone Splitters
Dutiful Return
Tar Snar
Untamed Hunger
Dead Weight
Cemetary Recruitment

Dynavolt Tower
Dukhara Peafowl

Blighted Fen
Blighted Cataract
9x island
9x swamp
>>
>>50219353
Im considering switching out the confiscation coup to the sideboard and putting insidious will in the mainboard in its place.
Also maybe getting rid of both aethersqualls in favour of some sort of control card.
>>
>>50222417
That deck only has 1 creature right.
Thats an easy keep you have the manland, the tower, 3 counterspells and the land to cast them.
>>
>>50230300
I would probably take it even if it was a mountain instead of the island (although the island is better)
>>
>>50230243
Im fact im gonna cut the stormchasers for more spells.
>>
>>50222864
Nah to risky you do have the 2 anticipate to help get something out but in this standard if those whiff against the hydra or the pummler your dead.
If its game 2 and my opponent is not playing that deck i would keep but its a risky keep even then.
>>
What are good sideboard options for R/G energy (non-pummeler) in an EXTREMELY control heavy meta? Like we're talking a standard 4 round night being 3 grixis control and a Jeskai control matchup.

My current sideboard is
1x Island
1x Lumbering Falls
2x Woodland Wanderer
1x Appetite for the Unnatural
1x Nissa, VoZ
1x Natural State
3x Galvanic Bombardments
2x Blossoming defence (2 in the main already)
1x Negate
2x dispel

Anything else that might be good? I've even considered shit like Hermit of the Natterknolls.

Most of my games I do alright, but if the control player times their counters well I just can't get back into the game sometimes.n
>>
Does white and or green have any good graveyard hate at the moment?
>>
>>50230942
There is no graveyard hate in standard at the moment. You do have a bunch of exile spells but that's it.
>>
File: 1266209835026.jpg (78KB, 550x550px) Image search: [Google]
1266209835026.jpg
78KB, 550x550px
Standard on my shop is dead
Brief story time, happened last week

>got complete B/G delirium with lilianas, kalithas, flayers and shit
>picked up the deck little by little never buying into hype, took me a while but finally ready to play with it
>go friday to the tournament
>there's barely anyone on the shop, only 4 guys
>dudes are like "we don't play tournaments or standard, sorry you fell for the standard meme, bro"
>???
>I ask what they mean
>"well standard is fucking crazy expensive, $40 gideons, $45 lilianas, $20 blue hulks, we need a cheap standard like the good old days, $20 tier 1 decks, otherwise we just don't play, wizards are jews!!"
>ask what the play then
>"we just play modern and commander between ourselves all day"
>another guy comes into the shop with lots of trades and cards and shit
>the 4 dudes spend like $3000 on modern staples
>I ask them why the fuck they just spend $3000 if they don't even play tournaments
>"because VALUE BRO, this shit doesn't rotate like standard!!"
>I pointed out how retarded that was considering how much they bitch about prizes and left, haven't returned since

Are all modern and commander players retarded like that?
Saying that standard is really expensive but got modern decks valued on several thousand?
>>
>>50231089
You really should casually stroll into shops on tournament days before you buy in. I bought into Vanguard just to get my hopes crushed when I went into the LGS and there was nobody there.
>>
>>50231128
I believed Standard and Magic on general on my city was really healthy because I could (and I can right now) make facebook posts with any kind of standard staples and they get bought in minutes
Like if I post "selling 4x eldritch lilianas, cash only" or "selling eldricht emrakul" I can get like 20 buyers or more in line.

Then I go to the biggest shop on the city and everyone is like "nah dude format too expensive ;) play modern instead"
Seriously what the fuck
>>
I've been thinking about starting a MtG collection, mostly for the artwork since I'm too shy to attend any kind of in-person gathering. I just get a lot of satisfaction from looking at the artwork and reading the flavor text. I keep reading that buying booster packs is a waste of money compared to buying singles, but I'm not looking to build competitive decks or to own every card in a certain set, I just want to casually fill up a binder with as many different cards as possible. I'm guessing Kaladesh boosters are as good a place as any to start. Am I casual scum?
>>
>>50231089
Its understandable considering the standard we just came out of.
Gideon aside this is a pretty good stanard not great in cost but better then it has been and much more diverse then some recent bullshit.
>>
>>50231277
Your not scum as long as you dont turn into a speculator who turns the cards into a way to make money.
Fuck those guys.

Also you can try one of the online options.
>>
File: 635032499043537612.jpg (99KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
635032499043537612.jpg
99KB, 500x500px
>>50231277
I'd suggest looking up the different planes MTG has featured in sets and finding ones that appeal to you and then purchasing some boosters off a website (because older ones will most likely not be in a gaming store). Alternatively, if you don't find a plane you specifically want to get cards from you can find shit like pic related in stores like Walmart or Target and they'll come with some dollar foil and three random booster packs, usually from a few years ago.
>>
>>50231277
If you don't want to play them, older boosters are probably the most efficient way of getting cardboard, since whatever is left is probably dirt cheap. Anything between Battle for Zendikar and 2010 can't be that expensive.
>>
>>50231089
>$20 tier 1 decks, otherwise we just don't play, wizards are jews!!"

I love when someone pulls something like this. It's literally "things that never happened".
>>
>>50231089
You're new.

You haven't invested in 4+ standard rotations.
>>
Is Madness Vampires still a thing?
>>
>>50231089
>want to play Modern
>NAH BRO IT'S TOO EXPENSIVE NOW LEMME BUY SOME LEGACY STAPLES FOR SCGBALT
>want to play standard
>LOL SORRY BRO NO ONE PLAYS STANDARD HERE WANNA JOIN US FOR COMMANDER?
>want to draft
>SAY NO MORE PHAM I GOT U COVERED

my store is fucked up.
>>
>>50233047

Was it ever a thing?
>>
>>50233783
Yes, during DTK:EMN
>>
File: 1457366912021.png (594KB, 701x520px) Image search: [Google]
1457366912021.png
594KB, 701x520px
>>50231089
>KTK-BFZ happens
>decks are expensive as fuck because of fetches and Jace
>KTK rotates out
>decks lower in price because no fetches so no reason to run jace, but still pricey for a good while thanks to CoCo
>ORI rotates out
>CoCo and Jace now gone, card prices dropping because both forms of degeneracy are gone, now settling after the pro tour ended.
>"Standard is expensive"

loving every second of the meme
>>
>>50232925
I'm also new, but I don't get this fixation with "investment" mtg players get. I have yet to see someome not buy a videogame because "nobody will play it in 2 years". Buying a card and getting 2 years worth of play out of it seems like a good investment to me already, and if you can sell it close to rotation and get at least 25% of it's original price there's not much else to ask for. Hobbies are a money sink, why would this be any different?
>>
File: kermitflail.gif (863KB, 320x238px) Image search: [Google]
kermitflail.gif
863KB, 320x238px
http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/announcing-standard-showdown-2016-11-14

If this is what I think it is, Wizards has just un-jewed themselves.
>>
File: 1468731764266.png (14KB, 370x123px) Image search: [Google]
1468731764266.png
14KB, 370x123px
>>50235282
What this means is players who have competitive decks are going to be getting better prize support than before, mostly encouraging players who are already highly competitive to go for the gold

I'll certainly give it a go but I doubt I'll do well when what's on the line could yield potentially-high EV.
>>
>>50235341
Right, I somehow missed the fact that it's prize-only. Oh well.
>>
>>50222417
def. keep. Dynavolt, 3 playable counterspells and lands

>>50222864

Very risky.
>>
> Built a really fun Grixis Control deck
> LGS has gone full Commander and Standard is pretty much dead

Th-thanks Eldritch Moon.
>>
File: 1455005299473.jpg (139KB, 820x817px) Image search: [Google]
1455005299473.jpg
139KB, 820x817px
>>50235434
I don't mean to discourage it. Give it a go, see how you like it. It did also mention stores can hand them out by other means should they wish to do so, and seeing as they're giving 40 packs for the 4 week period this event will be running there's still other opportunities to score one for yourself.
>>
File: cardart_KLD_Torrential-Gearhulk.jpg (385KB, 850x500px) Image search: [Google]
cardart_KLD_Torrential-Gearhulk.jpg
385KB, 850x500px
>>50235536
>tfw I play grixis and people still call me a shota copycat even though my list is completely diffferent than his
>>
>>50237626
I'd love the art for torrential gearhulk were it not for the hose on its hand. Who would make a giant mech and then dedicate it to large-scale gardening?
>>
>>50233819

Maybe if your shop played tier 99 decks. My LGS was filled with bant, humans, w/b control and other goodstuff.decs
>>
>>50234655

>CoCo and Jace now gone, card prices dropping because both forms of degeneracy are gone

New Liliana is 50 bucks
Gideon is 30 bucks
Grim Flayer is "loads of money"
Copter is the new CoCo
>>
>>50238338
I cheesed wins against those. It was fun.
>>
File: 1476099005230.gif (206KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
1476099005230.gif
206KB, 256x256px
>>50238362
That's nice, now mention cards that actually won a pro tour
>>
File: mtg green deck.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
mtg green deck.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
Hey /MTG/ I'm just getting back into mtg after a long time. Is my green deck still any good? What are some good green ramping cards that have come out recently?
>>
>>50239050
I don't know how to tell you this Jim.
>>
Is there a rotation-proof esper list that doesn't cost an arm and a leg?
>>
>>50239242
Rotationproof is a meme.
>>
>>50238310
Someone who needs to put out building-sized fires?
>>
File: IMG_6621.png (133KB, 223x311px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6621.png
133KB, 223x311px
Is this bad enough not to run? The sorcery speed means it doesn't hit vehicles, but it does take out pretty much all the Planeswalkers that actually see play, and takes out Avacyn, Mindwrack, and some other big nasties that see play.

Or am I over estimating how dangerous Planeswalkers are, and Tears of Valakut is better because of its instant speed and that the 5 toughness flyers are a bigger threat?
>>
>>50227365
at fnm i went 2-0 against UW flash both times. on xmage i've lost to it a few times. you can win through card advantage.
>>
>>50214441

Tokens cease to exist as a state based action once they die and hit the graveyard. Your plan is not going to work, the best repeated sacrifice outlet was Nantuko Husk in Origins and it's rotated out.

Diregraf Colossus is just a good value card in a Zombies shell.
>>
>>50238310

Clearly you have learned nothing from mecha anime of olde.
>>
>>50241570

You only want this to abuse with the ETB trigger lands from BFZ block.
>>
>>50242372

Or Tireless Tracker.
>>
>>50242404

I guess that works too, WHY NOT BOTH?
>>
>>50238310
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Fluid_Gun

Don't fuck with it if you value your life.
>>
File: 1478215362286.jpg (17KB, 276x268px) Image search: [Google]
1478215362286.jpg
17KB, 276x268px
>>50235282
Looks pretty co-
>earned through undefeated play
>>
>>50235282

Why no Oath though? I can understand DFC, but Oath?
>>
I want to make R/G wolf tribal. Not necessarily werewolf tribal, but just good ol' wolves. Is there enough support, or is it just going to be an inferior werewolf deck, which is already meh to begin with. I don't mind one or two in there, but I neither need nor want to play by the rhythm of werewolves.
>>
>>50245004
There's no specific wolf tribal support that I know of, most cards I've seen specify wolf or werewolf.
I could suggest some janky wolf only build, but do you accept cards that say wolf despite not looking like one (silverfur partisan) or cards that say werewolf despite being just a wolf (kessig prowler)?
>>
>>50245355
It's not really because of flavour reasons, I just really like all the flash-in wolf cards in green, and I have a soft spot for Assembled Alphas. I don't have any attachments to specific cards, but I like Pack Guardian, etc.
>>
>>50245004
>>50245355
An idea of the stuff I want to try to make work, I guess.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/15-11-16-rg-wolves/
>>
>>50245570
Hey, look at that, you could run the Wolf of Devil's Breach/Emrakul wincon.
>>
>>50245698
Read the card again
>>
File: Ronald+Slim+Williams.jpg (48KB, 594x396px) Image search: [Google]
Ronald+Slim+Williams.jpg
48KB, 594x396px
>no standard events tonight
>Go to my hang out LGS to sift and sort my bulk rares
>Modern tournament taking place
>Friend says I should join and it'll be fun
>Tell him I don't have a modern deck
>"You could use your standard deck"
>He says this with a notably villainous glint in his eye
>Sure why not
>Matched up against a dredge deck in game one
>Have to read almost every card
>Dredge pilot very patient and takes great pleasure in announcing cards and what they do
>Lose first round but think I understand how to fight it now
>Win the next two games and go to round 2
>Paired up against friend
>Know he plays artifacts and relies on two infinite combos for win con
>Win first round narrowly
>Board in all of my artifact hate
>Win second round narrowly
>Go to round 3 of tournament
>Guy has all the bells and whistles
>Beautiful play mat that says "champion" on it
>Beautiful deck boxes, dice bag, and dice
>Fancy LED life counter
>Game 1 he puts out two Mox opals, an inkwell Nexus, two ornithopters, and a steel overseer
>Holy shit this guy is rich
>Get destroyed game one
>Board in my removal spells
>Win on game 2 due to him not understanding what happens when avacyn flips
>Game 3 goes to time and ends in a draw, but he was starting to sweat
>4th and final round of tournament
>Guy is playing mono red creatures with low cost and haste and prowess
>Lose first game almost instantly
>Board in maximum creature removal
>Win game 2
>He scoops on game 3 as my third gearhulk hits the field
>Get first place and win 5 packs
>Crack nothing significant

Is modern a meme? Or am I the yugioh of magic? Wish I'd just taken the $15 store credit. Overall a good feel.

Do you guys ever go to different formats and clean house? I got congratulated but it was peppered with salt. Can't blame em really. I'd hate to face my deck.
>>
>>50207866
Ha, I'm also obsessed with getting a playset of those, have two already...
>>
>>50245765
Lol wtf how the freaaaaaaaak did you do that? DECKLIST?!
>>
>>50245765
>winning against dredge
Now why would you go and lie on the internet?
>>
>>50245765
I'm going to go with "things that never happened" for 400, Alex
>>
>>50245883
A variation of jeskai control

>>50246042
dredge was actually pretty easy. turns out zombies aren't really a problem when they're all exiled

>>50246159
>I'm going to go with "things that never happened" for 400, Alex
Why don't you go back to reddit instead
>>
i woukd like to (re)start standard right now, what to buy?
>>
>>50247191
You have several options
>I have money and want to win (Midrange)
B/W Flash
>I have a lot of money and want to win (Midrange/Wincon)
G/B Delirium
>I have money and want to win (Aggro)
W/R or B/R or Mardu Vehicles
>I'm on a budget
R/G Aggro or Energy
>I want to drop 13CMC eldrazis on turn 4
Aetherworks Marvel
>I want to play spells only and tick the opponent to death
U/R Fevered Visions or Dynavolt Tower
>I want to play control
Jeskai or Grixis Control
>I want something else
Metalwork Colossus, Zombies
>I want to do weird/rogue decks
Panharmonicon, Aetherflux Reservoir, B/W something
>>
>>50248051

>doesnt list UW control

its secretly the best.
>>
>>50238310

>hoses your opponent

???
>>
Are there any combo decks? I know you play the reservoir, but what else do you do to spell sling to the life.
>>
>>50248051
going for delirium. Te best one ti build?
>>
>>50248161

all the 0, 1, and 2 drop artifacts, parodoxical outcome, add them back to hand, draw ridiculous amounts of cards, play them again, kill you opponent
>>
im thinking about playing some form of r/g ramp and or just goodstuffs because blah.

im actually not really happy in this format. there isn't a lot to do in it. other than tap creatures ;-;
>>
>>50248180
Delirium builds itself. Just pack all the G/B goodstuff like grim flayer, kalitas, ishkanah, liliana, tireless tracker, verdurous and noxious gearhulks, and grasp of darkness.
Then add some spells to build up delirium fast, like vessel of nascency and mindwrack demon.
Then you put traverse the ulvenwald to tutor into your 200 legendary creatures, and add a single emrakul that synergizes perfectly with the delirium requirement.
The mana base is 4 fastlands and 4 creature lands, rest basics.
>>
>>50248421
there's a decent amount of removal, counters, discard, energy stuff, burn. There aren't any stupid meme combos but there's a lot of good, decent sort of pieces to staple together and make some interesting decks.
>>
>>50248249
Paradoxical Cheerios needs to be a deck before Kaladesh rotates, it's stupid and dumb and cute in all the right ways.
>>
File: giphy_1.gif (69KB, 200x150px) Image search: [Google]
giphy_1.gif
69KB, 200x150px
>>50248421
You can play Reservoir Storm or DynaVisions.
So you won't get triggered by tapping.
>>
>>50248967
dynavisions is fun with deadlock trap
>>
>>50248161
BW Fabricate lets you sling dead tokens at your opponents face with Zulaport Cutthroat and Marionette Master.
>>
>>50248161

Panharmonicon Valuetown Toolbox with guest appearance by Eldritch Evolution.
>>
So with this whole kaladesh showdown thing, are shops free to distribute the boosters as they see fit or are there any guidelines beyond "undefeated play" prizes? Why undefeated instead of just winning?
>>
>>50211335
Wait where the hell do you live where you can get a Pauper FNM going? Pauper night at my LGS doesn't even fire
>>
>>50252127
Undefeated can be relevant if double elimination is being utilized.
>>
>>50252127
>are shops free to distribute the boosters as they see fit
Haven't local shops always been free to do whatever they want with the prizes (including just straight up sell them)?
>>
File: nohope.png (50KB, 180x133px) Image search: [Google]
nohope.png
50KB, 180x133px
>decide to get back into mtg
>go with mtgo because it's cheap and I don't have to go anywhere
>play a bit, do okay
>watch some videos on a budget deck
>it plays well and it should do well against what I've seen
>get completely fucked all day
>over and over
>some of the other players even tell me I suck
>in the fucking 'play for fun' room no less.
>>
>>50253433
What were you playing? R/G Wolfs? Vampires?
>>
>>50253997
Energy Fog, think I'll probably take it apart and find a use for the parts I like. Dynavisions were fun but the amount of removal and counters I faced completely dismantled 90% of the deck erry game.
>>
>>50233047
I've tried Strictly Better MTG's Vampire's budget list on two events and it's only good if your opening hand is on curve and you happen to hit your colors right. Fun to play though
>>
4 Metalwork Colossus
4 Glint-Nest Crane
4 Foundry Inspector
4 Aether Hub
4 Cultivator's Caravan
4 Prophetic Prism
3 Skysovereign, Consul Flagship
4 Attune with Aether
2 Elder Deep-Fiend
4 Sanctum of Ugin
4 Botanical Sanctum
3 Hedron Archive
3 Inventors' Fair
1 Key to the City
4 Lumbering Falls
4 Island
4 Forest
SB: 3 Woodweaver's Puzzleknot
1 World Breaker
1 Mockery of Nature
1 Lashweed Lurker
2 Deadlock Trap
2 Metalspinner's Puzzleknot
4 Aether Theorist
1 Titan's Presence

what y'all think
>>
>>50239050
Looks fun, it's not standard legal just so you know. Not competitive either but will be fine to just play with some buddies in a casual environment,
>>
>>50255608
You might want to splash Red to get some removal like Kozilek's Return for decks that go wide and Harnessed Lightning to make some use of all that Energy you'll store.

I can see BG Delirium raping your deck using Kalitas and Gnarlwood Dryad.
>>
>>50207576
I haven't played magic for long but that +1 effect add two redmana effect looks really good
>>
File: speculative max.jpg (158KB, 1890x812px) Image search: [Google]
speculative max.jpg
158KB, 1890x812px
>>50248051
>B/W Flash
What?
>>
Why is Bristling Hydra worth 2$?
>>
>>50256114
>he didn't crop out the thumb
>>
>>50253433
that's why it's better to play in person, your opponents are real human beans
they can say 'here try this don't give up senpai' and mean it
>>
>>50248937
i've been playing non-cheerios version with jori en & crush
it's okay
but i haven't played for several weeks now i'm not up to date on meta or other decks
>>
File: Duskwatch.jpg (33KB, 223x311px) Image search: [Google]
Duskwatch.jpg
33KB, 223x311px
How come duskwatch recruiter isn't used anymore?
Is it because Bant is not that big now?
>>
>>50258039
coco and duskwatch are buttbuddies if you don't have coco you dusk losing nothing
without cooco creature-heavy decks are 1000% weaker
>>
>>50258039
I play Bant Humans without duskwatch, but I may put him in, depending on what I see in my local meta. Mainly at 3 mana I want to be casting reflector mage and Thalia, or Tireless Tracker, not digging with duskwatch. 4 mana is Gisela or flash in heron's grace champion. And card advantage, while good, come from Tamiyo, and clues from TT, not duskwatch. I can post my list if anyone wants it.
>>
>>50258039
>>50258499
I'm running G/W Humans, however, and while his ability isn't always firing off, he's good as a bear that flips into something that makes creatures cheaper, making him a solid 3-of inclusion.
>>
>>50258769
I personally like Hamlet Captain in that spot. A decent anthem that can blow people out with HGC. Duckwatch might be good against flash decks or control if they are trying to cast spells on your turn however.
>>
>>50259112
That's actually not a bad idea. I've been considering adding Hamlet Captain for a while.

As far as sideboarding against control goes, >>50208637 I've been thinking about Hermit of the Natterknolls in the side for that purpose as well.
>>
Bumping with speculation that post-Amonkhet, we will go to Vryn.
>>
>tfw former affinity player

Those sure were golden years, lads.
>>
>>50256131
it is
>>
>>50256903
Spell Queller, Avacyn, Torrential Gearhulk, Stasis Snare, Selfless Spirit, Reflector Mage, and other assorted B/W annoying things. It does pretty well lately.
>>50256941
Because it's a 5/4 with hexproof whenever you need it for 4CMC.
>>
>>50261407
So you mean U/W?
>>
>>50258039
i'm still using a full playset of him in my tribal werewolves deck
>>
>>50258039
He stopped getting played towards the end of last standard anyway. In humans he was a one of or just SB. In BantCo he got swapped out in favor of selfless spirit and spell queller.
>>
>>50261407
That's UW you double baka.
>>
>>50263327
There's no color that starts with a U senpai baka desu
>>
>>50263394
People use U for blue because having two B's would be confusing.
>>
>>50261623
>>50263327
I am actually a baka, sorry. I did mean U/W.
>>
File: Image-18.png (122KB, 223x311px) Image search: [Google]
Image-18.png
122KB, 223x311px
>>50260843
I think we'll have a return block after Amonkhet. But I dig Vryn, I really hope we can have tax as a theme in White.
>>
>>50263950
>mana tithe reprint
>the 1w memory lapse we all wanted lapse of certainty to be

Just tax and tempo things like an asshole.
>>
>>50263634
The longstanding joke is that despite Blue preceding Black on the color wheel, Black beats Blue for 'B' because Black is the more selfish color of the two.
>>
File: mongolianmeme.jpg (87KB, 406x326px) Image search: [Google]
mongolianmeme.jpg
87KB, 406x326px
>>50263986
Mana Tithe
2cmc Lapse of Certainty
Thalia, Heretic Cathar
Spell Queller
Elder Deep Fiend
>>
>>50264116
Unfortunately, Thalia, the Quller, and Elder Deep Friend will have rotated out.
>>
>>50244390
>earned through undefeated play

and other means as decided by stores

apparently Wizards is strongly pushing stores to offer them as attendance prizes, but we'll see
>>
>>50254180
>Energy Fog, think I'll probably take it apart and find a use for the parts I like. Dynavisions were fun but the amount of removal and counters I faced completely dismantled 90% of the deck erry game.
>removal

..what?

that deck doesn't run any creatures

and don't play your fevered visions into open counter mana unless you have two in hand, that enchantment by itself is enough to beat control
>>
Is FNM dying?
>>
File: Can_we_fix_it.jpg (23KB, 391x366px) Image search: [Google]
Can_we_fix_it.jpg
23KB, 391x366px
>>50264813
Standard is still in comatose because of faster rotation. It needs so time to recover.
>>
Best way to practice Standard without other people?
>>
File: the_Wizard.jpg (379KB, 1092x742px) Image search: [Google]
the_Wizard.jpg
379KB, 1092x742px
>>50265913
Wachting rated games on Xmage.
>>
Anyone play meme dwarfs? I had some decent pulls from a fat pack, want to see how bad I'm gonna get screwed if I go to FNM.

Vehicles:
2x Demolition Stomper
2x Fleetwheel Cruiser
2x Ovalchase Dragster
Cultivator's caravan
4x Renegade Freighter
4x Sky Skiff

Creatures
Pic Nalar
2x Propeller Pioneer
2x Iron League Steed
2x Gearshift Ace
4x Speedway Fanatic
4x Veteran Motorist

Artifacts
2x Whirlermaker

Instants
2x Acrobatic Manuever
2x Built to Smash
4x Built to Last

Lands
Inventor's Fair
4x Stone Quarry
10x Mountains
10x Plains
2x
>>
How easy are friendly MTG standard leagues?

Do I need to have a top-tier deck to win 2-3 games regularly?
>>
>>50266106
Needs more Depala and Fairgrounds Warden.

Depala is THE GREATEST.
>>
>>50267268
Yes. This is just what I've drawn from the fat pack I bought.
>inb4 buy singles
Haven't been up to the shop to get some of the more rare cards yet
>>
>>50267370
Fair enough, but just keep in mind RW Vehicles is a deck in Standard, and going a bit more in on the dorf and vehicle tribal elements should be OK at the FNM level.

Personally I would love to shove in Fairgrounds Warden in my pile but there's just no room left for them. Too much goodstuff to cram in a Fiend Hunter with relevant types.
>>
>>50267929
I'll get another Pia Nalar and a pair of Depalas, then we'll see what's next this weekend
>>
>>50269127
I'd actually recommend 3 depalas, 4 if you want to live it on the edge.

She's one of those "run a whole lot of them" legendaries. Digging up another of her to replace the one that'll eventually bite the bullet is pretty decent. She's that good IMO.
>>
>>50269763
I'd probably get three then, with the 2 Pia Nalars, and take out the 2drop mono whites that give first strike. They aren't that good, especially with Depala searching out haste
>>
>>50264116
>someone actually saved that pic and uses it
That really made my day, anon.

>>50264747
Sorry m8, misused the term I suppose. Whatever you call disenchant-style solutions
>>
>>50266106
dorfs and vehicles is a fun looking deck, you look like you're pretty close to having the stuff for it. RW and BRW seem to be the prevailing thought on the matter.
>>
Working on a deck, could use some thoughts from more experienced/less shitty players
3 Angel of Invention
2 Anguished Unmaking
2 Ayli, Eternal Pilgrim
3 Grasp of Darkness
4 Master Trinketeer
2 Marionette Master
2 Vampiric Rites
2 Acrobatic Maneuver
2 Glint-Sleeve Artisan
2 Visionary Augmenter
4 Thraben Inspector
4 Weaponcraft Enthusiast
4 Zulaport Cutthroat
3 Westvale Abbey
4 Evolving Wilds
4 Forsaken Sanctuary
7 Swamp
6 Plains

2 Fumigate
2 Fragmentize
1 Eliminate the Competition
2 Lost Legacy
2 Angelic Purge
1 Transgress the Mind
1 Pick the Brain
2 Harsh Scrutiny
2 Kambal, Consul of Allocation
>>
I assume Whirler Virtuoso is used in G/R energy for its energy production, or are the thopter tokens just a good alternate attack strategy just in case your ground game gets locked down?
>>
I've got a friend with two-of Liliana, an various one-of Eldritch Moon black goodstuffs (Tree, Relentless Dead, Triskadekophobia) and needs a direction to build in.

What's a good deck for a beginner in that vein? Zombies?
>>
>>50272119

I see what you're trying to do there and you need to fill in the gaps of what your deck can't deal with. Also you really want to be putting an Eldrazi Displacer in there somewhere and maybe even a Panharmonicon. Gideon should also be a must if you ever want to pop his Emblem to give your Servo tokens a huge boost
>>
>>50273861

Zombies works well with 2 Liliana's, the deck doesn't even need to run her at all but it certainly doesn't hurt to have her in there.
>>
>>50274339
My advice to him was shove the following into a list until it works.
Relentless Dead
Diregraf Colossus
Cryptbreaker
Gisa and Geralf
Voldaren Pariah
Prized Amalgam
Scrapheap Scrounger
>>
>>50267117
Depends on your local meta.
>>
>>50274329
Noob question regarding the displacer, what's the difference between (3) and (2)<>?
>>
>>50277012

If you mean what does <> mean, it means you have to pay that cost with colourless mana. So (3) can be just 3 whatever mana you want, where as (2)<> has to be 2 whatever mana you want and a colourless mana.

TL;DR Colourless is now a colour and represented with <>
>>
Lads, feeling like buying a box.
What should I get thats not overly expensive
>>
File: Image[1].png (139KB, 223x311px) Image search: [Google]
Image[1].png
139KB, 223x311px
In last weekend's SCG top 8, all 3 UW flash decks didn't have the angel package (2-3 Gisela, 1 Bruna) in the sideboard.

Is this package just not good enough anymore? I feel like it's won me games either through Gisela slowing down aggro a turn or two, Brusela, recurring an Avacyn, or even occasionally recurring a Reflector Mage to be able to swing for lethal.

What are your thoughts on the place of it in the sideboard? I know it's not great against GB delerium and it's got a fairly weak matchup against control (and the extra SB slots give room for a second Jace which is huge) but I still feel like it might be good.

Arguments for/against?
>>
>>50207583
Azorius Aggro is super, super weak to Tears of Valakut.
>>
>>50214602
Funnily enough, the reference was the artist's husband.
>>
>>50277169
So the only way I could really use the displacer's ability in the deck I listed is if I have one of 3 westvale abbeys in play. I like the card and I like the tech it offers but I think I'd have to reevaluate my mana (which needs work anyway) to get it in.

Thanks for the information m8
>>
>>50246244
See! See! I keep telling people. Dec In Stone in the board. Deals with Dredge, deals with Delvers, deals with tokens.
>>
>>50264144
You're a fucking idiot.
>>
>>50272119
Feels to me like a shittier version of the GB aristocrats from SOI/EMN standard.

You've lost Liliana and coco which are pretty huge hits, but even now I don't see why you wouldn't be playing Blisterpod, Loam Dryad, Catacomb Sifter, possibly even Oyiva and Verderous Gearhulk.
>>
>>50277630
>implying dredge cares about a sorcery speed removal spell that hits at absolute best 12 power

Dredge doesn't even really care about Anger most of the time.
>>
>>50277510
Well, I got it cast once every 4 games at the tiny gameday we had where I live, won me 2 matches, but still lost 2 with it out due to one of them trampling over for ~30 and one through the opponent stealing it through Confiscation Coup
>>
>>50277760
What'd you get trampled through with? After the lifelink they'd have to have hit you for 49 to end up with 30 damage, that's brutal. Without anything CMC 3 or less too.

Ah well, bad beats happen.
>>
File: 2.jpg (62KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
2.jpg
62KB, 312x445px
>>50277846
In a graveyard reccursion deck with 4 Prized Amalgams and all the other shit, so he never really cast the stuff
>>
>>50277872
damn, that's spicy. I never really mind losing to rogue stuff like that though, it makes for fun games of magic.
>>
>>50277700
It probably is but mang is it cheap as fuck.
>>
>>50278150
That's a big plus! In that case, have you considered Eerie Interlude instead of Acrobatic Maneouver? It doesn't cantrip but you could end step flicker all your ETB stuff and in a long game you could even dodge your own Fumigate sometimes.
>>
>>50207576
Can we talk Limited Here too?
>>
Do Kaladeshis poo in the loo?

Or do they have designated shitting thopters?
>>
>>50278234
Might as well
>>
File: 1472565302072.jpg (66KB, 450x600px) Image search: [Google]
1472565302072.jpg
66KB, 450x600px
>>50277528
Holy shit that's just the super secret tech that I was looking for, thanks, anon.
>>
>>50278196
Can I dodge removal with flicker style spells? Because that's some next level tech. I was also considering shelling out for some panharmonicons but I'm not sure how I feel about it yet.
>>
>>50279940
Cards like Acrobatic Maneouver will let you dodge targeted removal (because the copy of the creature after the flicker isn't the same as the creature that was targeted by the spells, so the spell has no legal target). They won't let you dodge something like Fumigate, though, because the steps will go:

Fumigate on the stack
Acrobatic Maneouver on the stack
Acrobatic resolves, exiling creature
Creature comes back into play
Fumigate resolves, killing all creatures (including the one you just flickered)

Because of how Eerie Interlude works (the creatures stay exiled until the end step) you could use that at instant speed to dodge removal.

Fumigate on stack
Eerie interlude on stack
Eerie interlude exiles creatures of choice
Fumigate resolves
Turn proceeds as normal, at end step creatures come back into play
>>
File: pol.png (78KB, 1306x354px) Image search: [Google]
pol.png
78KB, 1306x354px
>>50278314
>THIS JOKE NEVER STOPPED BEING FUNNY RIGHT GUYS
>>
File: 301-What-We-Do-in-the-Shadows.gif (2MB, 500x278px) Image search: [Google]
301-What-We-Do-in-the-Shadows.gif
2MB, 500x278px
>>50280025
Anon I think you just saved my life. I have no way to repay you.
>>
>>50280068

>repeated use of slightly modified jokes on 4chan
>oh nooooooooo
>>
>>50280074
No problem. I used it a lot to dodge Languish during my first standard season playing Wr humans
>>
>>50279940
>>50280025
Don't forget about Long Road Home, which, like Eerie Interlude, can absolutely dodge fumigate
>>
>>50279940
I got the panharmonicons and I really like double fabricate. Shit's neato
>>
>>50280025
oh wait eerie interlude kills all the servo tokens doesn't it. I mean, they may be replaced if all their fabricators are still alive... hmm
>>
File: FB_IMG_1456477879492.jpg (138KB, 694x960px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1456477879492.jpg
138KB, 694x960px
>>50281735
I recommend Make a Stand. It' s good for attacking as well and dosen't kill you tokens.

Eerie Interlude could be also used to multiply Servos when you don't need to worry about boardwipes as you can choose multiple targets and not choose the servos already on the field.

You should choose which one looks more promising and Mainboard it.
>>
>>50282104
Yeah, I realized that I chose the creatures and didn't have to pick everything. I think there's something to the deck but in my mtgo practice I've just been facing a shit load of control. Obviously the deck needs a lot of work but hopefully I'll get there.
>>
>>50278234
I drafted BW artificer-fabricate once.
I don't think I ever want to touch BW again.

Deck felt like hot garbage compared to the highs I've gotten out of various drafts of UGx energy.
>>
>>50282230
>UGx energy
care to elaborate anon?
>>
>>50283493
Typically when I drafted energy it inevitably morphed into RUG, except for one time where I did BUG which was also good.

It also helped that I got deadlock traps in some of those drafts. Deadlock is pretty solid when you're shitting energy out all over the place.

Oh and the BUG one had the energy whale and holy shit I was making a lot of energy that draft.

I think the other common thread was that I got the nice critical mass of removal to keep my opponent from brickwalling my creatures. Thriving weenies are great up until they're being chumped repeatedly.

I feel that having a good pile of removal pays off very well in Kaladesh. You can't trust your trades in combat, but blowing stuff up with killspells tends to work well enough.
>>
>>50284023
As for contents of the drafts, it usually followed the vague skeleton of

>creatures that make energy when they etb, especially the defender guy in blue, that 4 energy is nice. Your bread and butter is going to be these dudes since they ramp your energy at a very aggressive rate, even Sage of Shaila's Claim can be OK here and she's usually a garbage pick.
>color fixing, if you see Attune with Aether then you're having a lucky day, but prophetic prism is more than fine too. The 1G mana dork is nice and the 3G guy who ramps you on etb is serviceable, but really you want to make sure you can actually cast spells. Haven't had experience with Aether Hub but I figure if you have a good net gain of energy it's a good card to grab.
>the killspells, Blue's auras felt decent enough for the job and he'll the -4/0 gets you energy. If you go black the 5cmc killspell is hot but Red's welding sparks is solid if you picked up prisms along with any puzzleknots. Just make sure to have a critical mass of the stuff. If you got Dynavolt Tower then you're going to have a fun time even without directly triggering its energy trigger.
>the payoff cards, aka "this is why you forced energy." Dynavolt Tower, Deadlock Trap, Whirled Virtuoso, Voltaic Brawler, the list is pretty big and part of why energy just kinda builds itself after a point. Hell, the Blue mill guy will fuck your opponent up if you have the energy to spare, and he's an uncommon if I remember correctly.

Really it just builds itself, and it's a hell of a fun time playing it.
>>
>>50282104
I ended up sideboarding eerie interlude and maindecking a fumigate and some servo exhibitions. I don't know if it's better but it's nice to just huck cheap tokens into the battlefield. I'm not great with mana curves but mine is really heavy in the 2 and 3 slot with only a few things higher than that. Eerie is nice to sideboard in against boardwipes, though I have a really bad habit of using it to generate tokens and then getting fumigated like a dipshit.
>>
File: 120.jpg (8KB, 162x234px) Image search: [Google]
120.jpg
8KB, 162x234px
>>50281195
>casting 3 angel of inventions in a row with pan out
>>
>when you have one counter on Thing in the Ice and flash Gearhulk to Void Shatter Avacyn and bounce their entire board
Best feeling desu
>>
>>50286120
That's a pretty good feeling, I imagine. I know that when people flash their elder deep-fiend in on my turn and tap all my lands during my upkeep I have to calmly remind myself how expensive my laptop was.
>>
>>50286120
>>50286144
>tfw championing in Mistbind Clique

I mean sure that's followed by getting DQ'd for an illegal deck list in Standard, but Elder Deep Fiend wishes it could be as stupid as Mistbind.
>>
File: really.jpg (70KB, 527x390px) Image search: [Google]
really.jpg
70KB, 527x390px
>have two incredibly close games on mtgo
>round 1 of the deciding game
>hype as fuck
>opponent scoops before game even begins

This happens like 3 times a day.
Thread posts: 305
Thread images: 40

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.