[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Apocalypse World Engine

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

File: 143518.jpg (905KB, 900x1350px) Image search: [Google]
143518.jpg
905KB, 900x1350px
Alright fa/tg/uys and ca/tg/irls, I have an idea for a somewhat non-traditional campaign spanning multiple Apocalypse World based games.

Most Notably:
>Monster of the Week
>Urban Shadws
>Action Movie World
>Masks
>World Wide Wrestling

The crux of the campaign is that the players are playing as the main characters on the shows of a popular TV network. But, the climax of the campaign is going to take place in the "real world" where the players will take on the roles of the writers/producers of the shows and investigate a mystery at the network itself.

So, I was wondering if anyone could point me towards an Apocalypse World system that handles basically normal humans investigating the supernatural.

I would go with something like fate or base book nWoD, but I want to keep the systems involved fairly uniform.

I am open to something Cthulu-esque, but I don't necessarily want the system itself to point directly at elder god involvement.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
>>
File: 120260.png (33KB, 414x650px) Image search: [Google]
120260.png
33KB, 414x650px
Has anyone had any experience with Tremulus?
>>
Huh, not much love for Apocalypse World, eh?
>>
One more bump for good measure, I guess
>>
>>50206565
Sadly /tg/ has terrible taste in Rpgs and bitterly hates Dungeon World, which and categorically leads them not to check out any games that share a system with them.
>>
>>50207150
Huh. Never played dungeon world. Generic sword/sorcery high fantasy just doesn't do it for me anymore. Is it really that bad though?
>>
>>50206565
>So, I was wondering if anyone could point me towards an Apocalypse World system that handles basically normal humans investigating the supernatural.
Not sure how much it would count, but Kult 2e is coming out soon and it's using a form of PbtA. If you're looking for a more typical Cthulhu Mythos investigation-style game, I don't think there's any (good) hack for it, but it's fairly simple to hack something together if you know what you want.

>>50207182
It's not bad, it's just mediocre. It doesn't use the strengths of PbtA to their full effect, there are some design choices that make it worse at incentivizing a narrative (XP on any fail instead of when you use a stat another player chose), and it doesn't help that it brings the traditional D&D stats with both score and modifier as a sacred cow.
>>
>>50207267
I'll have to check out Kult.

I was thinking I'd just have to sling together a few generic playbooks and a list of general moves, for the most part. I guess I don't need to make things too complicated.

Also, if that's the case for Dungeon World, why waste the simplicity of the system with d&d stats? Ick.
>>
>>50207340
>I'll have to check out Kult.
You'll have to wait a bit. Only one playbook is out, although you could theoretically reverse-engineer the rest of the system from it.

As for DW: the stated goal was to make it like what normies imagine playing D&D is like (obviously my words, not theirs). It explains a lot of the bad decisions.
>>
File: Generic AW.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
Generic AW.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>50206565
Why not just Simple World?
>>
>>50206633
It's good but it has a very specific style (which you can guess from the subject matter). Can't really turn the 1920s investigator types into writers and producers.
>>
>>50207367
I can afford to wait 8-12 weeks for a system to come out. I'll only need it for 1 or 2 meetings at the very end of the story.

Thanks for pointing me that way.
>>
>>50207378
Oh nice. So far looks like a pretty well outlined "build your own" system. That could be fairly useful. Cheers.

>>50207393
I hadn't downloaded any of it yet, didn't notice it was 1920's exclusive. Thanks for the info.
>>
>>50206633
Tremulus is good, and I think you can flex it beyond the 1920's with a couple changes to the fiction, and some flexing of moves.

Your guys are going to be regular people, not 2016 cops, so they don't have a huge amount of investigative resources that would make them noticeably different from 1920's investigators.

Also, if you're doing tv shows do Monsterhearts. Everybody needs some sexy monsters.
>>
>>50208275
Monsterheats has crossed my mind already. I have one player that half ironically brings it up all the time. I'm just not sure I could run it without feeling super creepy and/or mutiny from the rest of the group.
>>
File: Monsterhearts.jpg (131KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
Monsterhearts.jpg
131KB, 1366x768px
>>50208787
If you like PbtA, you owe it to yourself to try it at least once. Everywhere Koebel and LaTorra failed to grasp the system with Dungeon World, Avery got it and took it a step further.

You don't have to have sex scenes so long as you're willing to have heavy-handed romance scenes (camera lingering on long looks, accidental hand-holding and being shoved into the closet together, etc).
>>
>>50207378
the people who made simple world even said that you're not really suppossed to play simple world, rather it functions as an intermediate step in making a PbtA game, you run a one-shot of it in Simple World and you get a better idea what you might need to do for your own game
>>
>>50206565
I like monster of the week than all the other games that try to use Apoalypse ENgine, though I've never tried World Wide Wrestling.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.