[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are the most interesting elves you ever encountered?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 252
Thread images: 47

File: 267_ArbuzBudesh_303546.jpg (87KB, 1252x746px) Image search: [Google]
267_ArbuzBudesh_303546.jpg
87KB, 1252x746px
What are the most interesting elves you ever encountered?
>>
>>50194270
dunmer are the only elves that matter.
>>
>>50194270
None.

Elves are just humans with pointy ears. There is nothing interesting about them, because they are the ultimate Human+ race.
>>
>>50194270
that comic had some interesting elves
>>
>>50196108
I bet you read it for the plot and articles too.
>>
File: 1319431689013.jpg (123KB, 837x1148px) Image search: [Google]
1319431689013.jpg
123KB, 837x1148px
>>50196139
>>50196108
And what comic is that?
For the articles of course.
>>
>>50194270
The best elves are Tolkien elves, dunmer, WHFB elves, dark eldar, and Lorwyn elves. IK elves are interesting for basically having the opposite reaction from most elves to the whole dying race thing, but they're tragically underdeveloped compared to the human factions.
>>
>>50196139
hehe no reason you can't enjoy both

>>50196149
look up "Arbuz Budesh" on HF. That is the artist's handle. Last I saw it was some hundred pages long.
>>
>>50196153
>Best elves are long-lived, long-eared humans with absolutely no flavour in them
Then elf-fags wonder why people poke fun out of them.
>>
File: 1319491556623.jpg (147KB, 574x731px) Image search: [Google]
1319491556623.jpg
147KB, 574x731px
>>50196170
Danke
>>
>>50196234
Give us your great elves then.
>>
>>50196234
>I don't know what I'm talking about: the post

Please leave.
>>
>>50196262
Which part of this >>50196075 you didn't understand the first time?

There is no such thing as "interesting" or "great" elves, because the race violates it by the very existence.
Fair folk WAS interesting, before it was turned into one of the most obnoxious memes. Fairies were interesting, before they were turned into pixies, removing the elf part of them.
And everything that didn't fit, was just turned into yet another cookie-cutter one-dimensional "race" we all know thanks to D&D.

Elves are boring. Deal with it. You can literally play just a well-aculturated human noble in most settings to get what elves are, WITHOUT changing the race. Rings you a bell how redundant they are at this point as setting element?

I remember Witcher TTRPG doing a really great inversion of this shit. The way how Nilfgaard is potrayed in the game's lore makes them more elven than the actual elves of the setting. While they are just humans with sophisticated culture.
>>
File: Consider the following.jpg (439KB, 1495x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Consider the following.jpg
439KB, 1495x1200px
>>
>>50196075
>Elves are just humans with pointy ears
Even if that was true...so what?
>>
>>50196343
>so what?
What's the point of having them then? Because they don't even add variety.
>>
>>50196305
So, you didn't come to answer OPs questions, but to state you opinion about not liking them in the first place. Great, now please leave.
>>
>>50196319
Humanity fuck yeah ruined humans.
>>
>>50194270
Eberron's Elves. All of them.
>>
>>50196356
>What's the point of having them then?
Who else is gonna live in Alfheim?
>Because they don't even add variety.
Sure they do.
>>
File: he's right you know.jpg (10KB, 260x194px) Image search: [Google]
he's right you know.jpg
10KB, 260x194px
>>50196370
>>
File: no bully.jpg (201KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
no bully.jpg
201KB, 960x540px
>>50196357
>A-anon stop!
>N-no, stop

Not even him, but ever occured to you "none" is also an aswer?
>>
>>50196305
It always seems that human only autists always seem to forget the subtle changes to psychology that elves would have due to certain things they have in D&D and other settings. Like living for centuries or not sleeping. Just the subtle effect of them not having the ability to dream via sleep necessitates a strong difference to humanity.

Living with long pointed ears and having stronger senses is pretty different to humanity.

Living for centuries and knowing you'll live for centuries really takes some of the strong drive to get shit done now since you know you can just pick it up a couple decades if an inconvenience like a human war crops up.

Of course human only autists can only fixate on superficial differences in appearance.
>>
>>50196372
Please enlighten us how elves bring any variety to the setting, if you previously admitted they are nothing more than long-eared humans.
Because I'm not following your logic.
>>
>>50194270
Dead elves.
>>
>>50196057
/thread
>>
>>50196414
>Human only
Did I said anything about "human only" setting? Did I fucking stutter? Because I don't think so. Then why the fuck you put words into my mouth?
>the subtle changes to psychology
Such as? Or, which is even better, have anyone actually played elves as anything else than long-eared humans with semi-sophisticated culture? Or just long-eared arrogant jerks? Because that' literally the two varieties of elves in existence.

>Just the subtle effect of them not having the ability to dream
Funny, because I don't have dreams. At all. Does that makes me elf? Does that makes my anyway different than remaining 7 billions of people? I seriously doubt that.

>Living for centuries and knowing you'll live for centuries really takes some of the strong drive to get shit done now since you know you can just pick it up a couple decades if an inconvenience like a human war crops up.
This is the only good argument you have. But here is a thing - no game setting reflects it. None.
>>
File: 1476740937857.png (42KB, 314x341px) Image search: [Google]
1476740937857.png
42KB, 314x341px
>>50196409
Your opinion has been noted, (You)s have been given. I see no reason for you to stay in this thread except for getting triggered by a fictional race.
>>
in my setting elves have innate telepathy and never developed a spoken or written language
>>
>>50196459
But I see.

It's currently on a straight way to being derailed, with bunch of idiots triggered.
You must be really new here to not realise this could be the whole point.
>>
>>50194270
My DM did some pretty nice elves. They were very rare things, living solitary lives except for when they would meet once every few decades to mate, sort of like polar bears. They had no society or country, and lived entirely feral lives, and they hated being in large groups, to the point where elves that aren't raised by humans cannot even enter villages or have conversations.
>>
>>50196485
How do they communicate, anyway? With pictures?
Because you must be aware deaf people who never learned any language have REALLY hard time to think, since they have no way of assembling their thoughts.
>>
>>50196057
Came here to post this. Dark elf best elf.
>>
>>50196418
Have you ever read Similarion>
>>
>>50196488
I'll give you another (You), you seem to need it badly.
>>
>>50196485
So they are basically non-sentient?
>>
>>50196512
Different anon, but this is how Tolkien elves read
>Here are those special elves, that are so much better than humans in everything they do, because I say so
Dunmer for live.
>>
>>50196530
>that are so much better than humans in everything they do
So, you haven't read anything from Tolkien.
>because I say so
Yeah, but this is so much better
>here is my greentext HFY story, in which humans are the best and will always win at anything, because I say so
>>
>>50196450
>Did I said anything about "human only" setting? Did I fucking stutter? Because I don't think so. Then why the fuck you put words into my mouth?
It was a more general thing and I also forgot to remove your reply since I heavily edited my post after typing soemthing more specific for you.

>Such as? Or, which is even better, have anyone actually played elves as anything else than long-eared humans with semi-sophisticated culture? Or just long-eared arrogant jerks? Because that' literally the two varieties of elves in existence.
Its not my fault your poorly read on different elven cultures. And besides, human psychology or thought isn't all that special or unique except for a few specific things we have retained via our ape ancestry.

>Funny, because I don't have dreams. At all. Does that makes me elf? Does that makes my anyway different than remaining 7 billions of people? I seriously doubt that.
No, but you still sleep. And you still dream, though you don't remember it. Elves are physically incapable of dreaming. They do not sleep in fact, but rest their minds by a form of meditative trance.

>This is the only good argument you have. But here is a thing - no game setting reflects it. None.
Forgotten Realms, Mystara, Eberron, Golarion, Greyhawk, and a multitude of other D&D games specifically call it out and show how it affects them and their psychology. Hell, there was an entire book specifically for elves in 2e, Races of the Wild for 3.x covered it, and Elves of Golarion talks extensively about how they see the world and its affects upon them. You're just poorly read on them and more than likely got your info on elves from all the shitposts here.
>>
>>50196418

Well, if they're just long-eared humans then they add variety in terms of ear aesthetic.

But usually they're absurdly long lived, long-sighted, idealistic but self-absorbed, wrathful, artsy and expressive versions of humans, capable of inhuman excellence in a variety of fields, and very insightful yet often impaired by their own high opinion of themselves. That's a little more interesting.

Most fantasy races aren't really trying to be alien, the point is that you exaggerate certain human characteristics as a way to reflect on humanity. I think everyone has a little elf in them, some more than others; same with dwarf, orc,halfling, what have you.
>>
>>50196498
of course they can think, just not with words like we do
the elves would probably send eachother pictures, desires and emotions
>>
File: d3b2006afff50a382552f2909d43e458.jpg (227KB, 736x1081px) Image search: [Google]
d3b2006afff50a382552f2909d43e458.jpg
227KB, 736x1081px
>>50194270
Tiste Andii
>>
>>50196498
>>50196517
I suppose they have a form of language, but it is expressed with feeling rather than words. They literally share their feelings with someone they are communicating with.

They have very poor memories and critical thinking skills due to the lack of structured language, which is especially unfortunate given their long lives. An elf that has lived for hundreds of years acts no different from an elf who has lived for twenty. Living in the moment is the only way they have ever known.

Elves that grow up around humans behave totally differently. The muscles in their throats aren't developed enough to speak beyond simple words, but they can understand what is being said, and can learn to read and write. Humans are sensitive to Elf telepathy, but and Elf can't read a human's thoughts or feelings. The Elves broadcast what they are feeling all the time, making it very hard for them to lie.

Wild elves survive and live long lives due to their affinity with magic, but humans in my setting can't normally use magic ever, so they don't know how to train young elves in magic. If an elf doesn't learn magic at a young age, they can usually never learn it.

Despite visual similarities, humans and elves cannot cross-breed.
>>
>>50194270

My homebrewed setting has Primitive Celtic-Spartan Elves that are extremely resistant to disease, they reproduce as quickly as Humans do. War is their way of keeping the population down, and some of their elite warriors have centuries of combat experience. They wield primitive but masterfully crafted and enchanted weapons and armor. They're basically the Orcs of the setting.

The actual Orcs are closer to Mongols.
>>
>>50196450

I've never seen an elf portrayal which did NOT emphasize their extremely long lives and the difference in perspective which this creates. It's the main trope which defines elves, moreso than pointed ears even. Further development usually builds on that, dealing with how different their perspective and priorities are as a consequence.

Other point of fact, everyone dreams. You don't trance for 4 hours and then return to full consciousness, you sleep like a human and don't remember our dreams.
But to answer your question, actually, yes, not remembering your dreams makes you very different from the people who commonly do remember their dreams.
>>
>>50196624
>Despite visual similarities, humans and elves cannot cross-breed
Thanks, I despise half-anything.
>>
>>50196530
>>50196562

Yea bro, Tolkiens elves are superhuman in a million ways but there are still times when a specific human is better, when humans in general are better, elves being cowardly, elves being arrogant, elves being stupid in specifically elven ways, etc etc. Turin was "As fast as any elf but stronger". Beren went 1v2 and beat two sons of Feanor (and compared to the list of shit Beren pulled of it wasn't even that impressive).

Alo humans have a completely different afterlife and its something elves spend a lot of time thining about and somtimes seem to envy. "You know not where you go when you die; that is your doom. We are bound to this world until it is broken; that is ours". Something like that. But then of course humans are jealous as shit of elf "immortality".

But yes, there's no specific thing that a human would NEVER do and an elf would. They aren't inhuman, they're a different shade of human.
>>
File: deldar80.jpg (424KB, 1300x1920px) Image search: [Google]
deldar80.jpg
424KB, 1300x1920px
>>50196234
>implying any of these guys are humans with pointy ears

I'm not sure Tolkien elves are even described as universally having pointy ears. Their primary feature in comparison to humans is that their fea (soul) and their body are basically the same thing, and his part of the material world, meaning that they have greater metaphysical power and greater ability to influence reality with it, but are ultimately bound to the earth and its fate.

I don't know what to even say to you if you think dunmer or deldar are just like humans. Or Lorwyn elves, who have horns and ayy lmao faces and are irrationally obsessed with things we'd consider petty. That's super retarded.
>>
>>50196624
>more stuff
Without magic, the average life expectancy of an Elf is around 45 years due to health problems they normally avoid with magic. Without health problems, they can live to be 800.

Elves have never been to war and when living along side humans are rarely the victims of violent crime. When you can literally feel the pain and fear of the person in front of you, you feel really bad about hurting them... unless you are a psychopath. They are, however, frequently the victims of cons and scams.

Elves are better at learning process oriented tasks than memorization. The general thought is that elves aren't too smart, due to their problems with language.

Elves in human societies usually have labor and service jobs, but do horribly in sales positions.
>>
File: #collagedunmerlatenight.jpg (255KB, 500x537px) Image search: [Google]
#collagedunmerlatenight.jpg
255KB, 500x537px
>>50196057
>>
>>50196305
>There is no such thing as "interesting" or "great" elves, because the race violates it by the very existence.

That's a dumb statement.

Even if elves were just pointy eared humans, then by your logic, no human society can be interesting. If you can't do anything with elves that you can't do with humans, and all elves are boring shit concepts, then all humans are boring shit concepts.
>>
>>50196497
So they were...not elves?
>>
>>50196075
Out of interest, what fantasy races do you like?
>>
>>50194270
Elves were only interesting when I first discovered them at 11ish years old, when I first started playing tabletop RPGs and reading fantasy novels that had elves in them.

I think at 20ish or so I realized this >>50196075 and lost all interest in them.
>>
>>50196857
What makes you say that?
>>
File: vivec sees your muatra.jpg (8KB, 262x192px) Image search: [Google]
vivec sees your muatra.jpg
8KB, 262x192px
>>50196057
/The Ending of the Thread is Almsivi
>>
>>50196881
Uh, all of it. The whole thing.
>>
File: dude what.png (111KB, 233x233px) Image search: [Google]
dude what.png
111KB, 233x233px
>this fantasy race is bad because I can imagine humans having the same society as it!

No shit, that's all fantasy races. Our entire conception of society is based on human societies, as those are the only ones we've ever experienced. There are no pantheons in mythology, no aliens in science fiction, no races in fantasy, that do not ultimately have their roots in our own experience of the world.

Also, you guys seem to be implying that allegory is bad. Which makes you tremendous plebs.
>>
>>50194270
None
>>
>>50196414
>Elves don't dream
They don't sleep, but that's because they pretty much just have lucid dreams for 4 hours a day.
>>
>>50196937
I don't see any elf corpses. You can do better than that.
>>
Elves in my setting are biologically immortal, but they aren't *mentally* immortaly. Every 500-2000 years an elf has a complete mental breakdown and runs off into the woods to wig out for a few days, and when they return they are a new person, greatly influenced by the repressed dreams and aspirations of the previous person, but still functionally and legally a different person.

I'm pretty sure this whole idea came from /tg/ but I don't remember the specific conversation. Does anyone else?

Anyway, I'm running with it. There are ways to extend your "life" as an elf but they make you crazy and everyone knows it. The elf king and queen are super super old and super crazy and everyone knows it. Also they had to start punishing new elves for crimes committed by their previous self, because at one point it was WAY too common for them to break the law right before a rebirth or feign a rebirth to get out of punishment. Nevertheless reborn elves are seen as innocent, a lot of their tragedies are about being born into a trial.
>>
File: 1439159656672.png (938KB, 1280x1700px) Image search: [Google]
1439159656672.png
938KB, 1280x1700px
>>50196057
Right.
>>
>>50196594
>>50196624
Then they are clinically retarded.

If they form any culture above most basic hunter-gatherer tribe (I'm talking pre-homo sapiens forms here), you've failed sociology and communication forever.
To properly communicate and even HAVE elaborate thoughts going other than most basic ideas (thus, for example, being able to formulate cause-reaction patterns of thoughts) you need language, period.
Just like the other anon mentioned the example with deaf people (wild children are also good case-example), unless you are able to communicate in ANY language, you can't think properly and your IQ will be around 50-60. A lot for animal, but that's literal clinical retardation, making Forrest Gump looking like a genius by comparison.

Deaf people, who learned sign language as their first language, think in gestures. They don't think in ideas or images or emotions, but formulate entire pattern of thoughts in gestures. For comparison, if they learned to read as their first way of communication (which happens from time to time), they think in text instead. Again, no images, emotions or bare ideas.

Communication just doesn't work this way. And please, don't bring the tired "but this is fantasy and they are not humans" arguments. This works for primates, too. If they are taught sign language, their ability to analise their own surroundings is increased fourthfold. And they are just primates.

Conversely, if savage children don't learn any language until they hit puberty or so, they are permanently locked at state of semi-sentience and behaving like an animal. Only because their brain never learned how to properly formulate reactions.

Language is one of the most important achievements for any species to have. Communication without it is so limited it makes no fucking sense.
>>
>>50196927
>I never played anything more complex than D&D
No shit, we didn't notice!
>>
>>50197165
Lel, everything, literally everything, is based on what we experience.

Whatever speshul snowflake donut steel race you like is no exception.
>>
>>50196075

That just means your shit at world building and can't make a better elf. Whenever I see people say x is only humans with rubber forheads, I cringe a little. I mean sure aestetically that may be the case, but if your any kind of decent you can Make them interesting. They don't have to be just humans if your creative enough

Tl;dr your an uncreative sodd, nothing wrong with elves, it's you.
>>
itt: MUH REALISM
>>
File: Wild Walkers.jpg (55KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Wild Walkers.jpg
55KB, 1280x720px
Hello.
>>
>>50197135
That sounds like it could lead to a lot of fun character opportunities for elves acting out those repressed dreams of their previous 'life'.
>>
>>50197187
Anon, here is a deal:
Elves in tabletop are for 50 years now
Elves in their modern incarnation are around for almost a century

And in all that time, with all the effort put into it, they are humans with pointy ears.
But hey, call people who point this out uncreative, not the actually uncreative idiots behind this, that will totally work!
>>
>>50197204
40, my bad.
>>
>>50196937

Three years.

It's been three years since I've last played Dwarf Fortress.

And yet I look at this image and I can see the main hallway, the microcline storage chambers flecked with native gold, the goblin corpses rotting alongside fresh white bones.

Good god, you never just "forget" what these things are, do you?
>>
File: 1453555266921.png (174KB, 600x900px) Image search: [Google]
1453555266921.png
174KB, 600x900px
>>50196057
muthsera
>>
>>50196907
Well they were humanoids that looked very similar to humans, they had pointy ears, they were in tune with nature, they were naturally magical...

They were elves.
>>
File: K12jjvW.jpg (408KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
K12jjvW.jpg
408KB, 1920x1080px
>>50197196
Ah yes, great take on really standard wood elves. Industrial production of buildings, our arrows will blot out the sun.
>>
>>50197154
But this is fantasy, and they are not humans.
>>
>>50197154

Everyone's thought includes sounds and images and bare feelings or ideas to at least some mall extent. No one thinks purely in language. And it varies from person to person, more than you realize by the sounds of it, some people aren't very verbal at all and are drawn to non-verbal forms of self expression.

Advanced communication does depend on language, your basic point is good. But do you not experience non-verbal thoughts and ideas? That is very hard for me to believe.

Anyway. Telepathy as that anon described it is still a form of communication. My read on it was that they can still broadcast complicated ideas to each other, but its done in an emotional and semi-involuntary way, like a human who can't stop spouting their stream of conscious out loud.
>>
>>50197204

Anon. While it is true that the lack of creativity on a larger level is not your fault, when you get together to game you can customize things to your liking. I'm just saying if the solution in your mind is, well we'll just get rid of elves because they suck, while you are well within your rights to do so, it seems a little like giving up. I'm just saying if your so unhappy with it make something you can be happy with. Or don't I suppose, it is your choice, and I guess I came off as overly confrontational. I occasionally speak before I think, and that was ruder than I intended.
>>
>>50197291
Yep, you have no idea how communication works.

Please explain in emotions, ideas and images you need 4 people go there with their bows, climb the rock over there and create the ambush, opening fire on given mark.
And do that WITHOUT making a "video" out of it, step by step. Also, take the "lenght" of such "video" into consideration.

So my suggestion - drop the "never developed spoken language". Replace it with "cease to use it" and you are golden.
Because don't get me wrong, I really like the idea, but for it to work, you simply need language first. Just ideas and images won't do, no matter what.
>>
>>50197204
>And in all that time, with all the effort put into it, they are humans with pointy ears.

Says you.

You've failed to adequately respond to any mention of elves not being pointy eared humans, because you have no argument.

Also, what is your definition of a race that is different enough from humans to be valid? Is it thri-keen or dwarves or some shit? Because those are just, in their most common form, just exaggerated forms of societies found in our world.
>>
>>50197196
Might have been nice, did they not share a setting with much better factions like Jewish vampiric constructs, kobold diplomancers and a medieval megacorporation.
>>
>>50197320
Ok, one step more:
If it's so easy, here, give us elves that aren't just pointy-eared humans. And I mean it sincerely. You don't need to do it now, you can use pastebin, but go ahead.
Because from the way you are talking about it, it's obviously a very easy task that can be done in just few hours if one has dedication.

... or you are the classic Idea Guy, who is pushing bullshit.
Your choice.
>>
>>50197204
>>50197210

Does that mean that the least creative setting would be primitive animism, and the most creative would be SJW Adventuretime Indie Game?
>>
>>50197154
my plan was that the wild elves live in the forest doing acting like animal, chasing animals, eating fruits, sleeping in the dirt. The thought that they could build something or alter their environment in any way just hasn't occurred to them, and neither has the thought occurred that they can dress themselves, or cut their body hair. They also have no reservations about bodily functions; they go when they feel like even if around others.

>>50197343
a wild elf in my setting would never think to make a tool as complex as a bow. Most barely use tools at all, let alone make tools.

Wild elves smell really bad, act like animals, and are undesirable to be around. They act however they feel. The magic that extends their life? They know the feeling in their stomach hurts and they make it go away, like scratching an itch. They have no understand of it beyond that.

Humans originally sought to keep elves as pets, but were surprised when they could actually be taught language, and that when raised as a human could actually think and do things on their own.

Also some of these posts aren't me.
>>
>>50197344
Anon, but riddle me this: where is your own argument?
Because you know how it looks now?
>Me
Elves are pointy-eared humans
>You
No, they are not

None of us is presenting any argument. Yet you act like this applies only to me
>>
>>50197352
Bah.

Broken Lords are just humans without bodies.

Drakken are just humans with scales.

Cultists of the End are just scientologists.

None of these races are original or special enough. We have to go deeper!
>>
>>50197370
>a wild elf in my setting would never think to make a tool as complex as a bow. Most barely use tools at all, let alone make tools.
So they are basically early hominids?
I'm ok with it then.
>>
>>50197378
see
>>50196784
>>50196927
>>50196827

The pro-elf side are the only ones presenting examples or arguments. You're just going "no" in a cursory manner that tells me you don't actually know enough about the examples cited to dispute them effectively. If you want them to go into more detail about why these things are good, you could just admit that you don't know what you're talking about. People expect most others on these boards to be informed to some extent, but it's okay if you're not. Just tell us and we'll educate you.

Also, come on. What fantasy races are truly original and are different enough from anything found in the real world to be valid?
>>
>>50196927
You have to admit it gets kind of frustrating though. It's easy to make up fantasy empires and kingdoms based around humans, because we have a ton of human examples. But with elves or dwarves, we have to work to make them feel different. And if they end up too different, it's hard to explain them in a human world on a human scale, especially since elves can't just not affect the nearby human not!Roman Empire in some way.

Sure they're very human, since it's impossible not to be for the reasons you said. I agree with your point. It's just difficult to make them feel unique without going crazy, and if you don't make them feel unique, it gets difficult to find a good reason to include them at all.
>>
>>50197391
basically this

the biggest conceit is how they have the neurological development to function when taught language at an early age, as this isn't true of any primates today aside from humans. Chimpanzees and other higher primates can be taught sign language and can express ideas, but they don't develop enough such that they could even remotely function alongside humans. I don't have the paper handy, but when I took a psychology course for general ed it was mentioned how researched attempted to raise a chimpanzee among humans and treated it as if it were a human, but it stopped brain development past a certain age, as where humans continue for decades beyond that. They stopped the experiment when they feared it would impact the human children the chimpanzee was interacting with. Basically that higher non-human primates don't ever reach past about a 2.5 to 3 year old equivalent of brain development.
>>
>>50197440
>Those are the arguments
>Links to another 3 posts with no answer, but counter-opinions
K

Anon, explain me something - why it's so hard for you to admit you were trying to use cheap eristics and was caught on it? What? Better to dig yourself deeper and try to change goalposts?
>>
>>50197479
>You have to admit it gets kind of frustrating though.

Honestly? No.

I find it really goddamn easy, actually.

The only frustrating things about it are the people who project traits they dislike on a fantasy concept and then invent reasons to pretend their dislike for this concepts is illogical and everyone should share it. The statement "all fantasy races are, like, bogus dumb humans with [insert trait], we shouldn't even have them" means an instant dismissal from my campaigns, because the speaker is clearly not creative enough to be a good roleplayer anyway, and probably just needs to read more widely.
>>
>>50197543
Just tell us an original fantasy race, godamn.
>>
>>50197343

If you could see my thoughts and know what I was thinking that would be a very easy idea to convey.

<we fightan> <4 dudes> <everyone with bows> <sitting still and waiting for a signal> (that rock over there)

Now, *I* couldn't thought-broadcast that shit to an elf, because *my* thinking is largely verbal, because I am a human and not a telepathy-elf. Also, if I hadn't been taught a language I would be retarded, because I am a human and not a telepathy elf.

Would it help if, instead of "they telepath their thoughts", I said "they think in telepathy"? My brain i built around my species' mode of communication, theirs would be built around theirs. A telepathy-elf who grows up isolated from other telepathy-elves would be telepathically retarded (but, from what anon says, could develop spoken language and verbal thought instead. This is very interesting to me).
>>
>>50197528
I'd recommend looking at cases where human children weren't raised with adequate parenting, or in an environment otherwise not good for development. There were some Romanian orphanages where the children were very, very poorly cared for and often left to their own devices, and even the better off ones tend to have psychological scars. It might help give you an idea of how the human-raised elves work.
>>
File: moving-the-goalposts-300x2402.jpg (28KB, 300x240px) Image search: [Google]
moving-the-goalposts-300x2402.jpg
28KB, 300x240px
>>50197562
Maybe it never occured to you, but I'm arguing against elves. Elves specifically.
So here is your (you) and perfect picture
>>
>>50197556
I dunno, I just work a lot with history and know a lot about that kind of human development and culture and such, so elves tend to be a monkey-wrench in my plans. Best I've managed to do with them so far is making them the not!Chinese.
>>
>>50197543
Those aren't opinions you dumbass.

>>50196927
is a fact.

>>50196827
Also a fact, it is a logical fallacy to state that if elves are just humans with pointed ears, elves can't be interesting... because that means humans can't be interesting either.

>>50196784
Is an example of why you're wrong. The post literally summarizes why elves in LotR are not human, as well as these lorwyn guys. The image is also a pretty good example of how dark eldar ain't just pointy eared humans.

Stop stalling, present your argument for what things are truly original fantasy races.
>>
>>50197593
It's not hard anon. Just give us some examples.
>>
>>50196896
> LEAPING WOUNDS.
>>
File: morrobait.jpg (306KB, 1680x1050px) Image search: [Google]
morrobait.jpg
306KB, 1680x1050px
>>50196075
(You)
>>
>>50197593
Literally has no bearing on that demand.

Tell us which fantasy races are speshul enough for you to consider valid, and why they are more valid than elves.
>>
>>50197363

I've never seen elves that were just pointy-eared humans. Maybe Hylians from Zelda? But I don't often hear people calling them elves. I'm pretty sure they're the setting's human-analogue, they're a little magical but so is everything in zeldaverse.
>>
>>50197579
I'll have to read up on that.
>>
>>50197568
>If you could see my thoughts and know what I was thinking that would be a very easy idea to convey.
It wouldn't

Because if we don't have the same language, and we didn't share the exact same experiences, we would both have different interpretations of the same basic image.
Also, the original anon already explained what his elves are (and just like I've asumed, they are early hominids). So what THE FUCK are you even trying to do here?

Communication doesn't work the way you imagine. Don't believe? Read about it? Dunno, /tg/ just loves to laugh from all those socialogy majors, but when things come to it, the same /tg/ is just making wild assumptions instead checking actual data on the subject.

Read. But stop imagining things that aren't in pretense this will somehow change how things works.
You are literally making linguistic equivalent of "but why we assume alien life would need water to exist".
Because basic science.
>>
File: gaha.jpg (134KB, 413x395px) Image search: [Google]
gaha.jpg
134KB, 413x395px
>elves are just humans with long ears so they're bad!
>interesting opinion anon, here are some elves that aren't that, can you tell us why they're bad?
>n-no elves are bad, goalposts, g-go away!

Wow, I rarely see a nigga rekt this hard.
>>
>>50197604
>>50197615
>W-what are other special races then
Not him, but none.

And you can all now jump about humanity fuck yeah all you wish, but that's just how things go. Fantasy races are utterly useless filibuster, trying to create complexity and diversion of the setting, instead actually making it complex and diverse.
Tell me - how many times entire fantasy races are a (very) broad generalisation of some entire culture from RL, homogenised almost to absurdity, so you can have entire race of Not!Arabs, Not!Slavs, Not!FarEastAsians (with Not!Japanese subdivision) and other Not! other races, the less educated the creater, the broader and stereotype-based those assumptions.

This is idiocy of higher kind. If you want to make a complex setting, put work on it, instead slapping rubber X on humans and making them walking caricatures and extrapolations of some RL culture.
That's just sloppy
>>
>>50197617
>I never heard about D&D elves
That's what you've just claimed
>>
>>50197651
>Here are some leves that aren't that, because we say so
>Arguments? Surely, only you need to post those!
Here, FTFY
>>
>>50196057
https://youtu.be/5jY66zHksLc
>>
File: XCX Oprhean-Kun'ayb-01.png (541KB, 621x444px) Image search: [Google]
XCX Oprhean-Kun'ayb-01.png
541KB, 621x444px
>>50197667
>Not him, but none.
Our Ovah have become agitated by this assertation
>>
>>50197196
Best elves yeah
Mostly because they go really in against the trope of elves being tree huggers by making them elves who decided to use their tree hugging powers to start a real industrial revolution and not giving a shit about the sanctity of nature at all

BUT as >>50197352 said, they can't really compete in a setting with vampiric murder suits of armour who run on mad cash
>>
One of the problems this argument arises from, aside from the anti-elf anon being a total sperg, is that modern fantasy fiction has gradually given humans the various traits of elves, often for the sake of game balance.

In most mythology and early fantasy stuff like magic and such were not things many humans, or often any humans, could do. Guys like Merlin can do magic because they're related to elves/demons depending on your canon, guys like Odin are gods, etc.

Nowadays traits like having the universal ability to do magic, attunement with nature, etc, have been diluted by humans also being capable of this. It's not that elves are just humans+, fantasy humans have been turned into lesser elves
>>
>>50197627

It's not a matter of data, I understand the data, you are failing to fully grasp the speculative element here. We aren't talking about a human brain, we're talking about a telepathy-elf-brain.

>So what THE FUCK are you even trying to do here?

You asserted that a race with telepathy and no written language could not develop tool use or complex society and would have no means of conveying complex ideas. I disagree and wish to explore the idea. You don't have to agree and you can be done any time, I'm not making you reply.
>>
>>50197692
There have been plenty of arguments made against your point, you've just failed to address them. People posted examples of why you're wrong, you either ignored them or told them they're wrong without saying why.

Which leads everyone to believe you have no idea of what you're talking about.
>>
>>50197627

Also alien life doesn't need water you carbon-chauvinist cunt.
>>
File: haaaaaaa.gif (183KB, 280x153px) Image search: [Google]
haaaaaaa.gif
183KB, 280x153px
>>50197667
>he's not creative enough to imagine magical beings that feel magical and different
>he doesn't understand the fundamental sense of enjoyment in the idea of a mystical other that drove every single culture on earth to create some kind of mythological species
>he seems to be asserting that every mythological text is invalid as literature
>he thinks that because dumb people make dumb things, nobody can make interesting things
>he doesn't understand the value of allegory

Could you be any more plebeian than this?
>>
>>50197382
I think the alayi are a cool faction: more elf than the wildwalkers, so in tune with the planet that when winter comes and everyone else gets snuggly they decide thats a good time to go blitzing because WE ARE WINTER WE ARE DEATH

Also, drakken are bro tier. dragons who'd rather have a chat than fight.
>>
File: 1628468f9cb506e12518311a177f96a3.jpg (238KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
1628468f9cb506e12518311a177f96a3.jpg
238KB, 1600x900px
>>50197749
I recently rewatched old ass cliché Record of Lodoss War and was amazed how Deedlit would stand out today by giving her a kind of magic that no human could conjure. The artbook even calls her a shaman.
>>
File: XCX-Orphean-Arwork.png (592KB, 1280x800px) Image search: [Google]
XCX-Orphean-Arwork.png
592KB, 1280x800px
>>50194270
Technically not elves, but the Orpheans from Xenoblade Chronicles X fulfill that typical fantasy race niche well enough.
>>
>>50197667
What human race or culture are WHFB elves a homogenization of and why?

What human race or culture are dunmer a homogenization of and why?

What human race or culture are dark eldar a homogenization of and why?

What human race or culture are Lorwyn elves a homogenization of and why?
>>
>>50197850
>Also, drakken are bro tier
Not when I play them.
>>
>>50197880
Nor the fucking AI for that matter
Those Bara dragons really enjoy giving you that Drakken D
>>
>>50197677

Player's Handbook elves are pointy-eared artsy-fartsy middle class hippies who are good at magic, who live for a couple thousand years and are never in a hurry to do anything, and who are also very old as a race so they have a different scale for history (but don't just live from the beginning of history to the end like Tolkien elves do), who have a poetic sense of justice and a poetic outlook in general and love beauty, who have a complex relationship with humans because they're cross-fertile and are attractive to each other but elves hate the way human lives fly by so fast and have trouble living among them,

That's just out of the PHB, elves from specific settings are often more interesting.

You can have a culture of magically inclined elf-wannabe-humans, there are a lot of typical elf traits which can easily be human traits. The main difference is how long they live. Also their outlooks are sort of naturally Oscar Wildish, which is different and produces a different culture from a bunch of humans who are actively trying to be Oscar Wildish, Also elves have different natural talents which are reflected in their culture but a human culture valuing those traits wouldn't look much different.

If you boiled it down to "long-lived humans" I wouldn't even argue, but "long-eared elves" tells me you aren't paying attention.
>>
>>50197363

Anon you called out here. Tell you what, I'm away from my computer at the moment, and I've some work I need to get done this afternoon, but I will work something out. Might be a bit, but I'll post a thread for it if this one isn't still around, and specifically reference this.
>>
>>50197835
>I'm an Idea Guy
>I'm full of ideas
>I don't care about their execution
>I most definitely never played actual game session with random strangers
>I just post my brilliant ideas in the net

Could you be any more plebean than this?
>>
>>50197787
Anon, opinions aren't arguments. Just saying "those elves are different" is not enough, unless it is followed by explaination.
And it wasn't
>>
>>50197749
Iron Kingdoms elves are basically a metacritique of this.

>once upon a time, elves were the only race whose gods loved them

Then Morrow and Thamar ascend and now humans have gods that love them too.

>once upon a time, elves were the only race who had physically hi-fived their gods and lived with them

Morrow and Thamar again, being mortal at one point, also lived among their worshipers.

>once upon a time, only elves had arcane magic

Then Thamar gives humans The Gift somehow and they can do magic too, and at the same time elvish magical capability starts to diminish.

>once upon a time, only elves were immortal

Now they age and die, even if they still live a long ass time, and their lives are getting shorter, whereas humans are getting better at medicine and life-extending stuff every year.

>once upon a time, elves reincarnated

Now they are reincarnating less and less.
>>
>>50198088
I can wait, this thread should last long enough

Who knows, maybe this thread will even manage to produce quality content?
>>
>>50198141

That would be nice. If I can contribute I aim to do so. I get so very tired of the same cyclical arguements. It'd be nice if tg actually made things again.
>>
>>50198121
>Just saying "those elves are different" is not enough, unless it is followed by explaination.
>And it wasn't

Hmmm.
>>50196784
>I'm not sure Tolkien elves are even described as universally having pointy ears. Their primary feature in comparison to humans is that their fea (soul) and their body are basically the same thing, and his part of the material world, meaning that they have greater metaphysical power and greater ability to influence reality with it, but are ultimately bound to the earth and its fate.

>Or Lorwyn elves, who have horns and ayy lmao faces and are irrationally obsessed with things we'd consider petty.

Oh look, explanations. The latter isn't detailed, but then again, most people on /tg/ expect you to know the subject matter if you're going to weight into it like an authority and make absolute statements. Can you just admit that you don't know what you're talking about and are generalizing like a little bitch?
>>
>>50198108
There's nothing to really indicate that the guy you're replying to never plays games with people.

Whereas everything about your post suggests that you're an unimaginative and poorly read idiot.
>>
>>50197667

You like rich settings with a lot of work put into them. Congratulations, so does everyone else, but gaming is a hobby and a lot of people who aren't especially good at worldbuilding (or don't have a lot of time to put into it) are doing so anyway because it is so much damn fun.

Not that this has anything to do with humans-vs-not!humans. We're still all waiting for you to make some sort of argument as to why an all human settings is better than humans-and-nothumans. I dig the shit out of the Hyborian age but I don't think its better or richer than Middle Earth.

And then you've got Golarion, which isn't great literature but is some brilliant pulp. If someone thinks its overdone, and someone else thinks its awesome, then it is in Golarion. Every trope, turned up to 11. I mention Golarion because I'm pretty sure I like it for the same reasons you hate it.
>>
File: 1380873475238.png (313KB, 483x726px) Image search: [Google]
1380873475238.png
313KB, 483x726px
elf
>>
>elves are always just exaggerated parodies of IRL cultures and nothing more

Interesting theory anons.

Perhaps you can back up that claim by providing some examples of elves from fiction and which IRL cultures they are a homogenized version of?
>>
>>50198403
TES Thalmor, Nazis.
>>
File: 1409229217183.jpg (336KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1409229217183.jpg
336KB, 1920x1080px
>>50198403
Dunmer: Babylonean aboriginal hindu jews.

Complete shit, who creates such a shit race and thinks that's okay?
>>
>>50198436
Heh.

That said, I wasn't aware that Nazi culture was centered around the singular goal of popping the bubble that is the world and rejoining the gods in ascendant bliss.

Though I would not be surprised if this was what a few upper level members of the SS believed they were doing.
>>
>>50198507
Fuck, man, that image just reminds me of how great Morrowind and dunmer were, before Bethesda ruined it all.
>>
>>50198436
You have literally no idea what you are talking about. I know this since you use the name for their government and not their race, and they are only superficially nazi at best.
>>
>>50198549
He's probably joking, dude, same as >>50198507
>>
File: Love is under my will only.jpg (31KB, 550x550px) Image search: [Google]
Love is under my will only.jpg
31KB, 550x550px
>>50198507
Where did the ashlander touch you, anon?
>>
>>50198403
Dragon Age elves are gypsies or blacks.
>>
>>50198567
This is true. Everything in Dragon Age is awful though.
>>
>>50198554
Sure, I guess. It's just so hard to differentiate the stupidity of the anti-elf autist and satire of his ideas. Goddamn Poe's Law.
>>
>>50198529
Goebbels was bathit insane, I'm pretty sure he was searching for Mjolnir at one point
>>
>>50198529
>>50198602
This needs to be taught in schools.
>>
File: 1475662091469.jpg (346KB, 989x1500px) Image search: [Google]
1475662091469.jpg
346KB, 989x1500px
>>
>>50198594
>It's just so hard to differentiate the stupidity of the anti-elf autist and satire of his ideas
I was the one that made that post. Sorry, I love Dunmer.
>>
>>50198602
He also made expeditions to tibet, searching for shangri-la, agarthi or something like this.
>>
File: 1442182918344.png (41KB, 224x224px) Image search: [Google]
1442182918344.png
41KB, 224x224px
>>50198620
>fake tits on an elf
>>
>>50198584
I like their idea of throwing elves in ghettos
>>
>>50198644
He believed Aryans descend from the Nordic gods.

Or the gods who lived in the Himalayas

He was literally searching for the Aryan gene everywhere
>>
>>50198644
>>50198602

Nazis also tried to observe signals sent from the other side of the world, to see if the world was hollow and we were on the inside.
>>
File: Woah.png (352KB, 740x525px) Image search: [Google]
Woah.png
352KB, 740x525px
>>50198644
>>50198672
>>50198678
You mean all those B-list syfy movies are true?
Is the world truly this beautiful?
>>
>>50196153
A man of fine tastes in elf.
>>
>>50198280
Oh god the freckles are too cute.
>>
>>50198672
I fucking loved Tolkien's response to being asked whether he was Aryan when they were vetting his works.

>that's not a genetic thing, it's to do with language you morons
>I assume what you're actually asking is "am I Jewish?"
>in which case, I regret to inform you that I have no known shared ancestry with those talented folk
>good day to you sir

Based, utterly based.
>>
>>50196234
Anon, the Dunmer are a lot of things, but "no flavor" is not one of them.

Even if you find the flavor to be shit, it's still there. In fact, a lot of it is there. Too much, even.
>>
>>50197343
>>50197154
Literally autismt: the post.

Yep, you have no idea how emotions, feelings and ideas work. I wouldn't be suprised if you are teacher of some humanist subject like foreign language because you sound so preachy and self righetous. Also it is saddening to see how little imagination you have.
>>
>>50196624
>>50196485
>>50197568
That's very neat idea. Will be using that in my own setting. Hope you don't mind.

In my fantasy(weird tech) setting elves are artificially hyper-evolved race of wariors created by one group of gods to help them in a war with other gods and later have them as servants. Since them most other gods that were still active created their version of elves or something simillar.

Because of the manner of their artificial creation their reproductive cycle is fucked up. Because they were hyper-evolved from basic amphibians they have couple of problems with their reproductive cycle. They have external insemination and the first part of their lifes is that of a tadpole which have to be magically charged (if not by the god itself then by something else) to mature correctly. Because of it all they have weird culture.
>>
>>50197667
You're fucking boring

>Why make them a different race?
Why not make them a different race? It literally doesn't matter.

>They're just generalisations of some culture from RL
Yes, okay? Of course they are. All pointing it out does is make you look like a smarmy cunt who intentionally breaks suspension of disbelief because it's not enough that he thinks he's smarter, everybody else has to know it as well.
>>
>>50199247
>Why not to make yet another race that brings nothing new, fresh or interesting to the game
Gee, I wonder
>>
>>50198984
>Anon post pretty well-informed opinion
>Tries to reignite shitstorm 3 hours later
That discussion was already resolved, anon.

And here is the deal - sometimes people will treat you like shit, because they are smarter, and you are dumber. And the only way to get smarter is to get your ass educated, instead of crying about someone being better informed than you.
What is it? Yet another part of classic "I can't afford college, so all college kids are just wankers and who needs education anyway" bullshit?
>>
File: 6e8.jpg (20KB, 960x422px) Image search: [Google]
6e8.jpg
20KB, 960x422px
>This entire thread
>>
>>50199497
>This entire board
>>
>>50199506
Nah, the board in general is just mildly autistic and greatly depends on time of the day and year, plus the random chance.
But this thread is just autism in most unapologetic form
>>
>>50199584
It's a thread about opinions, what did you expect?
>>
>>50199406
>Anon post pretty well-informed opinion
But that's completly wrong. It's popsci level of educational bullshit. There are many examples of people that went deaf long into their adulthood without knowing no language and yet being able to comprehend complex ideas. Ideas like family, love, safety, need for discovery, freedom, ownership and many more (I would say most if not all) can be understood without need for words or any form of communication. And on top of that communications does NOT need to involve language. If you don't understand that you are severly impaired.

>What is it? Yet another part of classic "I can't afford college, so all college kids are just wankers and who needs education anyway" bullshit?
No it's frustration of someone who actually work in neurology and is tired of stomaching blantantly incorrect bullshit.
>>
>>50199497
>TFW that difference between icon and text crispness burns like a hot poker in the eye.
>>
In my setting, elves are degenerates descended from great fey from another world. The offspring of the fey were changed by earth's magic. They look like earth people. The great fey the elves descended from look like all kinds of shit. Giant worms, huge gangly women, piles of trash.
>>
>>50199955
So the world's "pressure" moulded them into humanoid shapes because that's the most efficient one for intelligent life.

I can dig it, must have been heel for the first generation though, to have a myriad of shapes but being hammered into a human shaped mould.
>>
>>50197761
They would need abstractions and universal symbols to do that. Not necessarily words or even glyphs, but something easily discernible from the more "concrete" thoughts, and still invoking the right kinds of thought.
>>
>>50200733
Is it possible to create art before language? Art can capture a lot of things through context and such, like how you see a picture of a guy in a whale and you remember the whole story about Jonah and the whale.
>>
>>50198656
Drawfag is a burger, probably.
>>
What real world religion has the best world-building storytelling in your opinion?
>>
>>50199803
I wish you'd just provide the examples, anon. That would really help.
>>
>>50196517
>sentient
You don't understand what sentience means, anon. And reading whole conversation, it's funny how your poor understanding of "idea" of sentience makes for argument AGAINST your case: as we see knowing words don't necessary make you grasp complex concepts. Maybe words are not necessary at all in the process of understanding, maybe language is just a mean to communicate ideas we visceraly understand to others.

>>50196927
Holy shit, you need to start reading better things. I propose Ted Chiang, Peter Watts and China Mieville for START.
>>
>>50200761
I don't know. Chimps and elephants can paint, but I'm not sure whether they just repeat what was taught to them or really lay down those patches of colour because they like how they look together. That's art in my books.

What bad about art is the fact it needs to be supported by widely understood context to relay whatever message it holds efficiently and with the least amount of differing interpretations. Can still be done - look at the pictography - but not without problems.
>>
File: 1449299149879.jpg (56KB, 459x646px) Image search: [Google]
1449299149879.jpg
56KB, 459x646px
>>50198602
You gotta remember that most of Europe was influenced by a bit of earlier exotic spiritualism and stuff like that. Finding some artifacts may have actually lended them some weight politically, especially in the context of the wider world outside of Europe. And it's not as if the Nazis weren't religious or spiritual - especially since the Commies were the godless heathens and all.
>>
File: NWA.jpg (84KB, 527x351px) Image search: [Google]
NWA.jpg
84KB, 527x351px
>>50196057

My n'wah!
>>
>>50202671
See >>50197734
>>
>>50194270
Morrowind elves, as a child raised on Tolkien, Morrowind coming out in my early teens with it's goateed and mohawked elves was mind blowing, it helped they rode giant fleas and had armour made from dead robots.
>>
A campaign's homebrewed 'Moon elves'
Where the 'Fae' was the fucking Moon.

They were pretty damn alien socially, and had some trouble with normal gravity.
>>
>>50194270
The ones that were more than one dimensional and you forgot they were even elves.

Fantasy races are cancer when it's what defines the characters. My favorite npc in all the games I've ever played was an elf, but that's the last thing everyone in my group remembers about him.
>>
>>50196398
salty cut ear
>>
File: dunmer.png (28KB, 481x399px) Image search: [Google]
dunmer.png
28KB, 481x399px
>>50194270
0. Dwemer
1. Dunmer
2. Eldar/Dark Eldar
3. Eberron Elves
4. Blood Elves (Warcraft)
>>
>>50194270
The elves in Shadow of the Demon Lord. They fucked off somewhere else. The only good elf is an elf I never have to talk to.
>>
>>50200963
It illustrates the problem perfectly.
Ever heard about language barrier? Or people speaking different languages and then trying to communicate?

But sure, let's be just smug about it, that is sooo helpful for quality conversations.
>>
>>50199803
>Popsci level of educational bullshit
>Proceeds to present bunch of opinions with no examples or arguments whatsoever
>Doesn't even understand the context
Oh the irony...
>>
>>50199803
also
>I-I work in neurology
Anon, why do you lie on anonymous Chinese image board?
>>
EBERRON
>>
Really, I just decided to make my elves pointy eared humans. Or rather, they're a population which developed from humans who discovered the secrets of immortality. They've developed quite a few odd features over the years, though many of their most infamous traits are just a result of aging even if they don't deteriorate.

For instance, noses and ears never stop growing. Elves don't have large ears just because they look nice. Elves have huge ears, and noses, because they live so long.
>>
>>50196584
Hell fucking Drizzt talks about how he perceives the world differently than his friends, how his long life worries him as he'll outlive all of them. Sure it's not mentioned often but it happens. (Only read up to the Two swords)
>>
>>50196057
first post best post
>>
>>50199803

To be fair the anon you're addressing did mention other forms of communication. He talked about how deaf people think largely in text or sign language.

He then rejected the idea that intuitive telepathy could constitute a form of communication and play the same roll in brain development, which I think shows a lack of imagination on his part.

He then responded to the disagreement by calling other anons ignorant and preaching about education, which shows a lack of class on his part.

But his basic point was a good contribution to the thread, human-like brains don't develop correctly without communication. A creature that could grow up in isolation and still deal with complex ideas would be very alien to us.
>>
>>50204245
>>50196584

I think that long life is the core trope for elves.
"No setting reflects this", okay, this is the point where we found out that anti-elf anon doesn't read fantasy.
>>
>>50200733

Sure, but none of those things need to be verbal.

Elves in a given community would build a web of shared abstractions, neighboring communities would make mistakes but overall would still learn to communicate with them, and elves from the other side of the world might not be able to communicate with them at all. I think their mental contructs would be more volatile and change more easily than spoken language, any great event shared by the community would change their life-narrative and consequently change their telepathy language. The same thing happens with language of course, we invent new words or change meanings to reflect new outlooks, but the point is that with telepathy that would happen instantly and the whole system would be less stable.

>symbol

Ahh, see, using this word tells me that you aren't grasping the core premise.

A symbol is a non-word thing, a sound or an image usually, which is associated with an idea. We can't transmit ideas directly to each other and thats why we need symbols, to get an idea from one brain to another.

Telepathy elves don't need symbol. They literally just transmit the idea.
>>
>>50200761
>>50200980

"Art" i jut a word we use for non-verbal communication. For pure bandwidth transmitting ideas verbal communication is of course much more powerful, but art is good at the fuzzy touch-feely-spiritual ideas which are hard to communicate via spoken language.

A lot of artits are very non-verbal, they express themelves with art because they aren't very good at expressing themselves with spoken word.
And then you've got your poets who are SUPER verbal but use language in unusual ways.
>>
>>50200963

China Mieville is the most Tolkien-like author I've ever readI say that with love, I am big fans of them both, but I don't get why he's always portrayed as such a huge break from Tolkien. Tolkien was a mythic idealist, Mieville is a gritty realist, that's the main difference, but they both work with funny-looking-humans (as in, they look different but they aren't very alien at all, they think and act like a different shade of human). And they both tell a story as a means to an end, because it isn't really about the story, it's about them showing you their awesome campaign setting.
>>
>>50205858
>Telepathy elves don't need symbol. They literally just transmit the idea.

You can't guarantee that the idea that resides in one mind and shaped exclusively by it will remain sufficiently unaltered over course of time, that the most important aspects of it won't be too skewed by the individual's experience and perspective, that he understands it with help of the same set of senses as his adressee.
Maybe it will work for the basic ideas, but there's no way everyone conceives same "raw ideas" in the same manner.
It's an incredibly limited method of communication, best fit for small social units where everybody knows everybody else.
>>
>>50205959
>>50205959

Idea are never shaped exclusively in one mind here, they are shaped collectively and memetically, just like with spoken language. Yes there are problems with divergent understanding of the same idea, but all of those problems happen with spoken language too, and would resolve themselves in similar ways.

I do think that kind of telepathy would be bad at *technical* details necessary to create specialized fields of labor (not incapable, but bad at it). As a particular specialized craft emerged it would develop its own subculture, with a worldview and a system of emotional connotations which elves would view as inseparable from the skill set itself, like a religion shared by all craftsmen of that type. These subcultures would evolve, branch out, and spread memetically in the same ways that religions do, carrying new technology with them. But that wouldn't be nearly as fast or efficient as they do among humans, EVERYTHING would have spiritual meaning, they would hate letting go of old ideas and old ways of life.

They would at least be insanely good at resolving interpersonal problems among themselves and the guy who came up with the idea talked about that a little.

Also I think an elf who spoke common could effortlessly produce poetry that human and other elves would find very beautiful, just by translating the wild elf cultural constructs that he's familiar with into words.
>>
>>50196440
The only thing better than a dead elf is a dying elf telling you where its friends are.
>>
>>50196057
FPBP.
>>
>>50206478
>Idea are never shaped exclusively in one mind
Wow, that's one hell of an ausmption, given the fact that most philosophers and scientists thorughout the history were more or less solitary types that spent their time just thinking about stuff like Nietzsche, Newton, Lineus, Darwin, Tesla...

Having said that, the rest of your post is interesting ableit I disagree with most.

>But that wouldn't be nearly as fast or efficient as they do among humans
I think that would be much MORE efficient than they do among human, just because elves would have much better time understanding each other, granted the lack of written language would be bitch and would limit spread of new ideas but dialectics would be infinitely easier.
>>
>>50208155

No, all of those people were working with ideas that had been developed collectively and memetically. Even the greatest minds are ultimately just iterating and developing on ideas that were taught to them as children and as young adults and throughout adulthood.

But yes this is a fun subject.
>>
File: wild.png (283KB, 640x331px) Image search: [Google]
wild.png
283KB, 640x331px
Aen Seidhe need not apply
>>
>>50208349
How would you argue that the Aen Elle are interesting?
I found them rather boring for the most
Only thing that was a bit different for them from most elves, was that they wore heavy armor
Although I have to admit that I did enjoy Avallac'h
>>
>>50196108
>>50196139
The scene with the lesbo ogre guard took too long. Get back to the plot!
>>
>>50194270

The Noldor.

They completely shit on everyone's idea of lotr elves.
>>
>>50204262
>i've
>>
File: Justiciar.jpg (94KB, 341x599px) Image search: [Google]
Justiciar.jpg
94KB, 341x599px
>>50196057
>Dunmer
Fhak you ash fucker.
>>
>>50204262
If course she's a fucking Hlaalu
>>
>>50194270
the hyper sexualized slave ones
>>
>>50214149
So the meme elves?
>>
File: 1478571512794.jpg (28KB, 241x204px) Image search: [Google]
1478571512794.jpg
28KB, 241x204px
>>50196057
>some fetchers will deny this fact

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tj3Jt3az3Sg
>>
>>50214213
No, the only true elves.

>implying humanity would tolerate a parallel sentient race that has superior 'something that can be stolen'
>>
>>50214243
>No, the only true elves.
Alright, which setting? I can think of two, for which they are somewhat slaves.
>>implying humanity would tolerate a parallel sentient race that has superior 'something that can be stolen'
So, why is it always elves? I don't see any "enslave and rape dwarves" threads. It's almost like you are a bit biased towards a specific fictional race for reasons.
>>
>>50214282
>I don't see enslave and rape dwarves
Because no one wants to fuck dwarves. Elves continue to exist because humans enjoy fucking them.
>>
>>50214319
But what about enslaving? It doesn't make much sense, using dwarves as workers must be much more productive. What about the whole humiliating thing? Dwarves are also proud and stubborn, why do I see no anon wanting to enslave dwarves so he can break their pride and spirit? Why is it always elves? Like I said, it's almost like you are a bit biased towards a specific fictional race for reasons.
>>
>>50214384
Dwarves are industrious and have a strong sense of community. Revolts would be inevitable.

Elven women love getting savage fucked by humans. The men are too pussy/prissy to stop it. As long as they can pretend they're truly superior, they'll keep pouring the baron's tea while he plows their former priestesses.
>>
File: advanced elven tactics.jpg (85KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
advanced elven tactics.jpg
85KB, 1280x720px
>>50214401
>Elven women love getting savage fucked by humans
Headcanon.
>The men are too pussy/prissy to stop it
Headcanon.

Like so many other elf-haters you have no idea what the fuck you are talking about and pull things out of your ass. And they smell like the place you got your stupid shit from.
>>
>>50214439
>elf hater
I love elves though. They always have the best tits, great skin, and can subsist on semen and water alone.

>headcanon
No shit. They're a fictional species.
>>
>>50214319
>Nobody wants to fuck dwarves
Speak for yourself.
>>
>>50214439
I found the elf.
>>
File: high elf dragon prince.jpg (294KB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
high elf dragon prince.jpg
294KB, 750x1334px
>>50214453
>I love elves though
Judging from your posts, no, you don't.
>They always have the best tits
No, you won't find any source that supports this.
>great skin
Probably.
>and can subsist on semen and water alone
Elf slut meme, please kill yourself.

>They're a fictional species
And that's the thing. Yes, they are, and while you base your elves on porn and headcanon, I can base my view on elves on established settings and say:
>elves are taller than you, stronger and smarter than you and think you are a dirty sub-human and elven women would never want to touch you
>their males a badass super-human that killed unspeakable things you dirty human couldn't even comprehend
While this is of course not all settings, you will have a hard time finding settings that support the things you just proclaimed elves do.
>>
>>50214555
>elves are taller than you

Different Anon here. I actually prefer pre-4E D&D's version of elves, personally, where elves are actually generally shorter than humans. 5' 5'' is as tall as most elves get.
>>
>>50214592
You know what, I do too. Well, it depends, if they are a standard playable race, then I like them smaller, so their - CON makes more sense. In case of superhuman aryan overpowered elves, like Tolkien or warhammer, then taller.

In this posts I didn't want to say that this is how elves are supposed to be, but how you can interpret them
>>
Everyone who said Lorwyn elves is my brother
>>
>>50214555
>i can base my view on elves on established settings
Just because turbo autists worship a subset of all fantasy output doesn't mean it's any more valid than headcanon.

Because it's a fictional species. I can make my elves range from green to orange depending on the time of day. Why? Because I said so. Because they're not real.
>>
File: 1465834134262.jpg (10KB, 178x164px) Image search: [Google]
1465834134262.jpg
10KB, 178x164px
>>50214704
>actually knowing what you are talking about is worse than making shit up on the fly
>>
>>50214793
>worse
Who said that? i just love titcow slave elves that worship their master's cocks. You can enjoy elves however you want.

Neither of us are right because neither exist.
>>
>>50214802
I also enjoy that. Hell, I'd prefer that to be reality over most "conventional" elves.

However you did claim they were the only "true elves" and insinuated the others were wrong. Don't backpedal or change your stance.
>>
>>50214835
>backpedal and change your stance
Not everything is an argument. Stop being autistic. We're on a message board that is next door to a board dedicated to 2d women with cocks as big as forearms. Have some perspective.
>>
File: oogaboogwherethenordwomenat.png (79KB, 426x382px) Image search: [Google]
oogaboogwherethenordwomenat.png
79KB, 426x382px
>>50196057
>Posting more of this "Black Elves Matter" bullshit.

Listen, maybe if you fucking knife ears would stop pillaging every liquor shoppe you can find, and burning down your own Great Houses, you wouldn't end up getting fucking knocked by the Imperial Watch.

You people are fucking trash. Why don't you ever raid and riot over the fact that Dunmer on Dunmer crime accounts for over 80% of the deaths in your community? Why don't you ever try to fix those problems? Oh, that's right. Because it's easier to blame Imperials for all your problems.

You're a bunch of fucking crybabies, and it's no wonder that all the most crime ridden cesspools in Nirn are all filled with fucking Dunmer.
>>
>>50194270
I still can't tell if that is a look of smug superiority or she likes whatever she's looking at.
>>
>arguing about my hominid telepathy elves is still going on
what have I done
>>
>>50209480
They just go against almost all the Elf tropes we've seen in the past years.
>>
>>50214802
>>50214835
>>>/h/
Here you can find the elves you are talking about. Please go there and keep on ruining this fictional race until it's not even recognizable as elves anymore.
>>
>>50197219
nnnope
>>
>>50194270
Nipponese waifu elves, both in vanilla and chocolate flavour.

Here's why:
They give me great faps.
>>
>>50215021
Wrong race, you're thinking the fucking drug-addict cats.
>>
>>50197219
No, you don't.
>>
File: 1469647627543.gif (2MB, 500x294px) Image search: [Google]
1469647627543.gif
2MB, 500x294px
>>50194270
>>
File: autism.jpg (59KB, 540x534px) Image search: [Google]
autism.jpg
59KB, 540x534px
>>50214555
>My head-canon is better than yours!
>>
File: 72898ac5e7278354becdf.jpg (114KB, 596x648px) Image search: [Google]
72898ac5e7278354becdf.jpg
114KB, 596x648px
>>50220316
>Best elves
>Literal SS
>>
>>50218224
I hope it's both.
>>
File: 1458805383620.png (44KB, 221x241px) Image search: [Google]
1458805383620.png
44KB, 221x241px
>>50220919
>warhammer fantasy
>headcanon
>>
>>50220936
>implying that that is not why they are great
>>
>>50197150
This is literally the cutest Dunmer I've encountered.

>Hotel Coors

Pls, captcha, I'm classier than that.
>>
File: 1394670904186.png (530KB, 1039x1032px) Image search: [Google]
1394670904186.png
530KB, 1039x1032px
>>50220936
Elves make the best nazis.
Thread posts: 252
Thread images: 47

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.