[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you sit down and really start hammering out a setting?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: 1477373795148.jpg (77KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1477373795148.jpg
77KB, 768x1024px
How do you sit down and really start hammering out a setting?

How do you write up a true setting doc and start to get into it?
>>
>>50191568
normally it starts happening when I get drunk, then i don't want to go out and hang with peoople. just wanna keep jamming world building and setting.

Then i lose motivation again sober. Its a hard life.
>>
>>50191568
Begin with some mild to moderate substance abuse.
It will help to disociate yourself from reality somewhat.
Then the world creation can begin!
>>
>>50191568
Just fucking do it m8
>>
>>50191568
I start with the themes and sort of game I want to run. Setting ideas for a Ravenloft style horror game are pretty different from a game about politics in a semi-roman empire.

Once I know what I want the setting to be good for I start brainstorming what sort of cultures I want in, and if I am going to include different races what they are and how they live. I sort out how they interact and then make a sketch map of the areas theyre in. I hop around as I get ideas and use a lot of scratch paper.
I sit down with my friends and bounce ideas off them, and talk about what the implications of various facts are.
Things like magic system and technology have sweeping effects that you need to sort out. A world where magic ability is genetic and only available to specific bloodlines is going to be culturally very different (if only in how they view magic and its practitioners) from one where anybody with smarts and enough time can learn to do it.
Figure out how your cultures view major issues and morality. Figure out how people in them live. Remember the profound effect geography has on driving culture.
Just dive in and work through things. My favorite people to talk to when im working on a setting are my friends who got really into anthropology in college. They'll point things out and give you history references you may not tie in on your own.
Mine history books and wikipedia articles on similar cultures in the real world. You will get insights and ideas that make your world so much more rich and interesting than it will feel without those details.
Does that help?
>>
>>50191661
>>50191664

>Dude drugs lmao

>>50192108

A bit, thanks.
>>
>>50191568
Honestly, start by just writing random shit. Even if it's just Garfield and Shrek erotica, it's still something. Repeat until you're accustomed to writing.
>>
I usually start conglomerating details and ideas into several clumps that could be construed as cultures. Sketch out some details to form bits better when I need to. Create orthographies and writing systems. Make language structures. Craft naming conventions. Start rolling out some characters and the history of the world.

About this time, I usually jump ship to a new idea. Or get severely depressed and give up.
>>
>>50191568
1. Find a good place and time to sit down.
2. Sit down.
3. Think about anything that's awesome or interesting to you.
4. Pick those you think can mesh with something else.
5. Brainstorm until enough pieces fall together.
5b. Otherwise meditate, get drunk, get high, and/or invite other people to brainstorm with you, maybe online, maybe IRL.
6. Write them down.
7. Don't think of it for some time.
8. After some time has passed, re-read what you wrote.
9. Edit out the stuff that doesn't make sense in retrospect/breaks disbelief/doesn't fit.
10. Repeat from step 3 until you feel the setting's good enough.
11. ????
12. Profit!
>>
>>50191568
You start with the cool shit you definitely want to include then work backwards.
>>
>>50191568
First step is to be unemployed with no friends, prospects, or ambition. After that it all just comes easy.
>>
>>50191568
Start to draw a map, and imagine how the things in your map would affect the word. Rivers? People will want to build cities near. Montain? People from one side have rain, the others do not. Long ass plain? Put a lot of fields and farmer. Big ass forest? Make it full of monster and have surrounding people being good monster hunter, or have make it a rich region having money from all the ressources. Sea and lakes?Make them powerfull trader thanks to fishing or dirt-poor fisher because life is hard there (either monster, not enough fish or whatever the fuck you want)

A map is your best and first ally in a setting creation. It will help create nation, states, region and then, histor follow
>>
>>50191568
For me, creating something is always more or less a mix of rage, pain and abnegation, which ultimately gives me the determination needed to make it happen in the end.

"Just do it", like that other memer would say. There's no miracle method to make it happen, except by sticking to it, by failling, and then by failling better at it overtime. Be prepared to suffer, and don't fucking give up until you are pretty much satisfied with what you got.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.