[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to create a low-magic world. Not a world without magic,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

I want to create a low-magic world. Not a world without magic, a world where common magic was a thing of the past. A tale by the campfire. All the knowledge about arcane magic was lost to the ages, and the gods went dormant when their civilization went into decline.

In the world, magic is divided into four categories. Arcane, Divine, Alchemical and Druidic. Alchemy is a new science, and druidic was the only type to survive.

Mechanically, that means the present world will have no magic shops availaible, and scrolls and spellbooks are ten times rarer to find.

Alchemy pretty much took the place for special effects, and can craft items that reproduce spell effects, such as a bag of sleep-enchanted sand.

My hiccup is with divine magic. Its harder to explain how divine magic is just as rare as arcane, as the god's divine gift feels like all or nothing to me. I need a good stop-gap for this plothole. And I need a good way to warn spellcasters on this.
>>
>>50187392

As for divine magic being rare:

Anyone can go to the church. Not anyone can be a prophet.
>>
Divine magic should require large amounts of dedication to one god to get access to. People should have to spend years of their lives learning, worshiping, and preparing for the initiation into the gods clergy. Perhaps even with entry to the clergy, only a select few are ever initiated into the higher orders that actually get access to miracles.
>>
>>50187434
And I'm guessing, the prophet need to raise the number of followers to his faith, as to improve the newly born god's potential.

And as he do, he unlocks the spellcasting portion of his class further along the line.
>>
>>50187474

I disagree. Divine magic should be all about "many are called, few are chosen." Not studying like a wizard.
>>
Arcane magic should be the stuff of legends, risky as all hell. Inherently arcane creatures should be fine, but puny humans should risk having even a carefully prepared spell either be thrown off by last-minute errors or attract attention they don't want (i.e, inherently arcane creatures)
>>
>>50187392
Divine magic is really roundabout and subtle, to the point where its unclear whether or not it exists. This is because the gods are testing the waters, trying to inspire faith instead of making it knowledge that they exist.
>>
>>50187505

That really depends on what gods are in the setting. Do they even need followers to exist? Do they need anything? What is their agenda? Does the God of Fire need burnt offerings to continue existing and give his servants power? Or is he simply a divine force that oversees and directly manipulates all fire and warmth, and needs or wants no servants, but will work through select individuals to prepare the world to end in fire? It depends on the mythology of the world.
>>
>>50187524
Its not scholastic studying i mean. I mean meditation on the teachings of the god. They would also undergo various rites or trials to prove their worthiness to become a priest. This regimen would be vigorous and most would fail and drop out.
>>
>>50187392
Divine magic could be provided by Gods who are barely awake and conscious, or perhaps have retreated into private realms - imagine an alcoholic parent, they still care for their kids, they're just not able to be there for them a lot.

Any of this may be suggested by a range of things - maybe most temples and shrines are ruins, or in serious decline.

Alternatively, the religion could be booming, but with so many worshippers it might be hard to make your voice heard.
Or it could be big, but have lost its way - think Omnia, if you've read Small Gods - the church is big, but it's bloated, dogmatic and ossified, having become more about the system than the god
>>
Alternatively, divine magic could be a really, really bad idea with gods that don't appreciate their power being used without requesting it themselves. Alternatively, make the followers have to do ridiculous things for the smallest miracles, i.e sacrifice a virgin for healing.
>>
>>50187580
OP here.

Currently, they are semi-divine entities that are caretaker of their domain. They do not need followers to exist, but they need them to gain divine powers. They are not omnipotent, but know anything their domain, servants and clergy does. They are both immortal and yet mortal. Its kinda hard to explain.

Think divine MtG planeswalkers that grant divine magic to followers.
>>
>>50187581

Maybe for certain pantheons. I personally find it more interesting that divine magic simply requires faith - be it the faith of a peasant priest or that of a grand cardinal, all that matters that it is true and honest. I prefer that gods know their servants and exactly what they require from them.

Like if God would rather give miracles to Jeanne d'Arc (of popular media depictions) than some random di Medici puppet-pope, if you catch my drift. One may be studious and able to recite prayers and act the part, the other has true belief.
>>
>>50187657
How about this one? The gods are being reborn.
The current civilization have a new name and appearance for them, but it is essentially the same god. They wander the material plane, in a child-like state where they need to be found and taught by the oracles.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.