[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do we fix Tau?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 176
Thread images: 22

How do we fix Tau?
>>
There is nothing wrong with Tau.
>>
>>50184895

Make them a bit more optimistic, back to the level they used to be, and stop with the massive, ugly suits.

Thats it.
>>
>>50184895
Drop them like a baby
>>
>>50184895
what to fix, seem pretty balanced dominate long range get f'd in close combat
>>
>>50184910
I absolutely love battlesuits and mechs, but at this point they've gone too far. It's almost comical now...
>>
>>50184895
Change markerlights. You should not be able to just stack +1 BS bonuses to just ignore snap-shooting or even invisibility like that, or just as easily negate cover. No more buffmanders could also probably fix the markerlight horse shit by ensuring you can't get 6+ marker tokens on a single target.
>>
>>50184895
>How do we fix Tau?
http://www.shapeways.com/shops/blue-prints
>>
Reduce the strength of most shooting weapons.
Though that can be said of nearly every army in 7th edition.
>>
File: Nom nom nom.jpg (121KB, 873x582px) Image search: [Google]
Nom nom nom.jpg
121KB, 873x582px
>>50184895
Wait for a couple years and I believe the problem will solve itself OP
>>
>>50184895
Nothing. Tau are exactly where they need to be. Superior firepower and awesome mecha

It's everything else that needs to be bumped up or knocked down
>>
>>50184994
Markerlights now only work on your own shooting phase, and do not benefit from any To Hit bonuses.

Does this fix them?
>>
More giant robots. Larger giant robots.
More difference between Empire and Enclaves, maybe even different kinds of giant robots.

To balance it out, every other race gets their own giant robots, in the Imperium case separate from the Knights.
>>
Depends on if you mean lorewise or in gameplay
>>
>>50185190
Lore.
>>
>>50184895
You are all retarded. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the Tau fluff-wise. Crunch-wise they are no better/worse than any of the other retarded useless/imbalanced shit in the tabletop game with the undecidedly most horrific competitive sweaty neckbeard scene in the universe.
>>
File: Tau Pathfinders.jpg (397KB, 842x800px) Image search: [Google]
Tau Pathfinders.jpg
397KB, 842x800px
>>50184895
Tau are pretty fine, desu. Just some bullshit formations, like the other high tier codices.
>>
>>50184895
More focus on their xeno auxiliaries.
>>
>>50184895

Chop off the dangly bits, fill in the reproduction holes. Same way you fix any other dumb animal.
>>
>>50185251
you sound like a feminist.
>>
>>50185202
I don't really know them that much, it seems that they need to stop getting wanked because someone decided they needed to be relevant on a galactic scale. I'd play up the fact that they're a conglomeration of various alien species, play up adaptability and quick responses to compensate for the slow juggernaut of Imperial bureaucracy, though not necessarily better in a straight up fight. Things like that.
>>
>>50185250
This, this, this!
>>
>>50185342
Why?

The greater good shit has been phased out since they were made. Its all about the expansion spheres now, and its mostly boring as shit. The xeno auxiliaries stopped making sense when the greater good stopped being the focus.
>>
REMOVE BLUEBERRY
>>
crunch wise they are broken as fuck while fluff wise they are shitte

at least we have Farsight
>>
>>50185226
That's not MTG.

However, they do need less focus on them. They're a small past of the seeing that's supposed to be able to be wiped out if any faction goes after them.
Then, when larger forced DO come at them, because writers always are trying to raise the damn stakes, they need to Handwave them not getting absolutely bodied. This has happened far more often for them since they keep getting updates and fluff for their new giant robots.

I think they've lost more planets in desperate last stands than their empire has ever owned.
>>
File: mtga.png (433KB, 500x437px) Image search: [Google]
mtga.png
433KB, 500x437px
Just a small band of them who were enlightend by the idea of a greater good.
That of course being the emperor but sometimes you have to fight against the bureaucarcy to ebtter your home country
>>
>>50184895
Depower them heavily. Drop them down to the scrappy underdogs they used to be (for a short, sweet time), instead of these fucking mood-killing mary sue shits.

>inb4 space marines are worse
Motherfucker, everyone needs their plot armour stripped off. Writer incompetence is 90% of 40k now.
>>
>>50185478
*Small part of the setting*
Flippin' autocorrect
>>
File: Eastern Fringe.jpg (539KB, 1920x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Eastern Fringe.jpg
539KB, 1920x1024px
>>50184948

It IS comical now.
>>
File: Eastern Fringe.png (2MB, 1920x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Eastern Fringe.png
2MB, 1920x1024px
>>50185506
>>
Have the Auxiliaries be their own army of sorts, separate from the "main" Empire army.
Have the Enclaves be more different from the Empire army, at least aesthetics wise.

More giant robots. To balance, every other race will get more giant robots too. In the Imperium's factions case, it means different and separate from the Knights, who will become a proper army of their own.
>>
Retcon that last stupid book, have them actually suffer a major defeat for once.

Remove every single suit bigger than a broadside from the game.
>>
>>50184895

>The bulk of the core of the Tau empire is in the section of the galaxy that isn't covered by the Astronomicon's beacon.

Good idea or bad idea? It would at least provide something of an explanation as to why the IoM hasn't sat on them like a duck on a beetle.
>>
>>50185544
>Remove every single suit bigger than a broadside from the game
Real talk, anything bigger than a Dreadnought should stay in Epic.
>>
Buff the flyers, Coldstar Commander and the Vespids.
>>
More nuanced fluff rather than: And then Tau beat everyone's ass and was the best, maybe they had some trouble at first, but then innovation, fire power and teamwork and then they won anyway, also 100 billion guardmen died pointlessly and did nothing while blue berry waifu soloed space mongol bossman and space raven bossman no probs and every imperial assassin failed hilariously except the guy who was sent to kill an old fart.

Apart from the War of Dakka or the Deldar prank, every single piece of Tau v anyone fluff could just as well be replaced by playing The Trooper on repeat.
>>
>>50184895
Wipe them out and just replace them with a generic Xeno alliance lead by Kroot like it was supposed to be before the weeaboos got in power.
>>
>>50185608
>It would at least provide something of an explanation as to why the IoM hasn't sat on them like a duck on a beetle.

IoM hasn't crushed the Tau because the Tau are a microscope view at the "small guy" just as they're rising to prominence. There have been a dozen Taus in the story and all of them were either subsumed by the Tyranids or destroyed by the Imperium.
>>
Their Walkers have vehicle stats because they are vehicles
>>
>>50185722

Most of them were exterminated or subjugated during the Great Crusade. The Imperium is a shadow of its former self. The Tau are not alone among the independent alien empires.
>>
Introduce more signs of some aliens pulling the strings behind Tau's anomalous rise to prominence. Make it so that the Tau are suspiciously lucky, because they are getting outside help. The Ethereals literally came out of no-where.
>>
>>50185771
Maybe remnants of the Old Ones had a hand in their rise to power. They were locked in that Warp storm for a long time, and it was the Old Ones who perfect Warp travel. Maybe they're betting on the Tau to fulfill their grand plan, seeing as their other creations all degenerated into warlike barbarism.
>>
>>50185771
>>50185812

There are spare sings of that. The Necrons believe that the Tau have been touched, if not by the Old Ones, then by one of their servant races. They don't know which.

But I wish there were more hints. Even the origin behind the powers and charisma of the Ethereals is left ambiguous.
>>
>>50184895
Instead of their last campaign with the Imperium, they should have conquered a region full of ork kingdoms.

Have a gallery of flamboyant ork bosses fighting each other and the tau navigating between them. They NEED their infighting to stand a chance, so they redeploy constantly not just to avoid retaliation but to avoid weakening one boss too fast.
They win in a way fitting the tau: through unity with intelligence and high mobility. But the equilibrium can't be maintain eternally, and several bosses go down in the most outlandish fashion, each one letting entire worlds to tau, but each one concentrating the remaining orks under increasingly more powerful bosses.
The offensive end with a whole new fringe of worlds, but they have to be de-orkified and there is now a powerful ork tyrant on their new doorstep.

Maybe they could have save and used an alien race that was being hunted/enslaved by orks or something.
>>
File: ufp_lo10.jpg (23KB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
ufp_lo10.jpg
23KB, 300x225px
>>50184895
Add more auxiliaries to emphasize the United Federation of Planets thing they've got going. Also, replace bigger and better battlesuits with a heavier emphasis on air support to maintain their feel of "only logical faction in the setting." Or, if you insist on having bigger battlesuits, make them demiurge war robots or something that would make more sense.
>>
>>50184994
Or return them to 4e marker light rules. BS buffing is capped to BS5, and you must spend one marker light token to lower a cover save by 1, instead of 2 to ignore cover completely.
>>
>>50185852
One of the few mysteries left in 40k at this point
>>
>>50185694
>Buff the flyers
Two current flyers are the tau bombers. New flyer kit is a jet with one variant being an air superiority fighter and the other a heavy railgun with reactors.
>>
>>50185930

It'd be great if they incorporate something rightly huge like a monstrous creature race into their fold, rather than just human-sized xenos.

What we find in the Tau Empire are the more tame xenos, though, and because of that they're more human-like. We're probably not going to see anything on the same scale as the Great Crusade xenos, though, but it would be neat to see something less humanoid.

Still, demiurge war walkers or something would be great. Something more industrial than the Tau but less "SKULLZ AND TUBES AND RIVETS" than the Mechanicus.
>>
I guess I'll be the first to say it, 2(pi) is a fucking meme!
>>
>>50185930
Kroots need at least one unit of each categories:
> HQ: master shaper, potentially Elder shaman
> Elite: Kroot totem warriors/Veteran mercenaries
> Troops: ambush light melee infantry/irregular with sniper riffles
> FA: love the knarlock riders, but I'm not sure they fit any fitting role. Maybe some kroot beastmaster?
> HS: Great knarlock are cool, but same thing.

Not sure what to do with vespid, Demiurg can be heavy infantry with heavy weapon but what else?
>>
>>50186052
This guy gets it
>>
>>50186052
>>50186338
What did he mean by this?
>>
>>50186350
He's our guy!
>>
>>50184895
Genestealer Tau Cultists

The hybrids will be hilarious
>>
File: exterminatuous.jpg (19KB, 400x268px) Image search: [Google]
exterminatuous.jpg
19KB, 400x268px
>>50184895
>>
>>50186388

What would a Tau Genestealer "cult" look like? Don't they get their religious overtones from the human population? What would be their inspiration to pass unnoticed by the Tau?
>>
>>50185226
>There is absolutely nothing wrong with the Tau fluff-wise
>>50184901
>There is nothing wrong with Tau.

You guys are morons. The way their fluff doesn't fit and asspulls and plot armors everywhere is even worse than their powerful crunch.
>>
>>50184994
>Invisibility isn't powerful enough
Kill yourself
>>
>>50186410
Well, if the Tau Empire is Soviet Russia, they could behave like cells of Trotskyist dissidents. So while Genestealer in the Imperium operate like doomsday cults, the Tau Genestealers would think they're welcoming an advanced race that represents the "real" Greater Good.
>>
File: Bokko_Vol04Ch09_172.jpg (95KB, 690x1100px) Image search: [Google]
Bokko_Vol04Ch09_172.jpg
95KB, 690x1100px
>>50184895
Ethereals being awesome and creepily selfless.
>>
>>50186531

The ending to this manga was stupid as fuck.
>>
>>50186531
>Ethereals being awesome and creepily selfless.

That would be good. The implication that they're two-faced bastards is a bit of an obvious way to make them grimdark. If they believe fully in their philosophy and are prepared to die for it, kill for it, and even commit horrifying acts for it, that's more interesting.
>>
>>50186522
By the way, tau should have sympathisers in Imperial worlds.
> That world where the Imperial rule is so brutal they have rebels, chaos cults, a genestealer cult and tau sympathiser insurgents.
> Tau insurgents playing the lesser evil card.

>>50186586
I once describe my vision of them as hiding nothing behind countless masks.
I'm sure a good writer could make them terrifying through genuine good faith.
Hypocrites are overdone and can be done in the Imperium already.

>>50186565
Honestly, I don't even remember it. I really liked the initial siege, and I wonder if they shouldn't have stopped there. Not everything was bad, but eh.
>>
>>50186725
>I'm sure a good writer could make them terrifying through genuine good faith.

I suppose the idea that "small evils are necessary for the Greater Good" would be a good starting point for that kind of depiction.
>>
>>50185478
>>50185502
You know, just because something is improbable in a fictious universe, does not mean it shouldn't happen that way. If your complaints are that its basically mary sue tier to keep them alive, I would direct you to the asspulls that is the rest of the universe.
>>
>>50186854

The problem with Tau is there's no good reason for that shit to be happening to begin with. That's why it's Mary Sue. It's LITERALLY Ensign Mary Sue. We don't need an obnoxious faggoty character that doesn't even make sense or fit in the setting like the Tau.
>>
let people save against markerlight hits in some way

more kroot
>>
>>50185478

The Tau have been growing at an exponential rate. Tau calculate that they will double their number of worlds within a period of 50 years.
>>
>>50184895
Easiest route would probably to expand upon the mysterious origins and abilities of the ethereals. I'm thinking you get around the tau's ability to last out stuck between nids and the imperium centered around warp influence of a sort. Something about how they got affected by their time getting sucked into that warpstorm way back, the journey in and out had an effect on their warp sensibility and the warp's ability to sense them.

Ethereals can do the monks in the mountains route as tau that lived up there before/while they got sucked to wherever and their training and focus in isolation changed them to subtly harness the power of the warp. Then all the tau were infused a bit with raw warp energy and its how the ethereals just came out to bring them under control without resistance. And now that they're back the tau under the ethereals dont really register in the warp because they were in there for so long, ethereals continue to use the influence in each tau to control them, maybe ethereals pull some eldar foresight shit to mess with their fate but aren't able to do it to the extent of eldar because they aren't as super attuned and psychic a race which is how they've managed to last compared to the big players in the galaxy.

Probably more details I'm not putting down but this is the basic stuff I think of to make the tau make more "sense"
>>
File: 1474162516137.png (236KB, 1136x1582px) Image search: [Google]
1474162516137.png
236KB, 1136x1582px
>>50184895
Less focus on the "RARE" mech suits.
More focus on the auxiliaries that the Tau fluff talks about so much. Aren't the Tau supposed to be all inclusive and have a bunch of xeno mercenaries in their armies?
>>
>>50185852
>>50185771
>>50185812

There was a xenology thing that stated tau etherals had a very very similar organ in their heads that some bug aliens queen had, that via some unknown means (perhaps pheromones) allowed them to control their hive.

It was also noted that Eldar had been noted as kidnapping the queens years ago around taus rise to power, this coupled with the necrons sensing the old ones tampering in the tau leads me to believe some group of eldar uplifted them (fuck knows why)
>>
>>50186777
I was more thinking about sacrifice than evil. For example, I could see them sacrifice themselves as a pure logical conclusion. Like an ethereal could pounder a while on the situation, conclude that the best course of action need him to die and calmly walk to his doom as if it was just another task he could have done. Nothing of the emotions of an heroic sacrifice nor the blindness of fanaticism.
>>
>>50187164
That's sort of what I meant as well. I didn't mean the word "evil" to imply that their actions are charged with emotion. Just that they can clinically undergo and dispense pain and destruction, if they determine it's the best course of action.
>>
>>50186412
No, it doesn't.
>>
>>50187042
>they got affected by their time getting sucked into that warpstorm way back
I'm pretty sure they were never sucked into a warpstorm. You may be referring to the warpstorm that prevented the imperial pest control team to clean up their world, but it blocked the road to tau, not engulfed tau itself.

Kinda like Vandire fleet got sucked into the "wrath of the emperor" warpstorm on their road to Sebastian Thor, without Thor never being IN the warpstorm.
>>
>>50184895
They're Space Commies right?

Give them a space KGB and have Greater Good aligned human sleeper agents in the Imperium to explain partly why they havent been wiped.
>>
File: Warp Storms.png (125KB, 477x210px) Image search: [Google]
Warp Storms.png
125KB, 477x210px
>>50187239
>>50187042
FYI, to bad students who don't know how warpstorms work.

There are two kind of warpstrorms :

Type 1 : The storms that start in the Warp and stay in the warp. These storms have no affect on real space but they stop warp travel to the region. This is the type of storm that protected the Tau.

Type 2 : Warpstorms that burst into Real Space.. These storms smash the walls of reality and manifest in it. bathing entire regions of space in the corrupting energies of the warp and allowing daemons to spawn i mass. Such examples of thesr storms are the Eye of Terror and the Maelstrom.
>>
Make them ballistic skill 2 for the lols.

it won't make them shoot any worse.
>>
>>50186285
Nicassar psykers, Tarellian dog soldiers, Morallian Deathsworn. There are even more than that.

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Tau_Empire#Society
>>
>>50185705

they encouraged a genestealer cult taking root on their world because they where fascinated with the lifeform and wanted to learn more about it

that ended just about as well as you would expect
>>
>>50187239
I'm not as versed in Tau lore as other factions so I was mostly just pulling half true details from memory. Lexicanum's quick description of the whole warp storm debacle is that the storm erupted around the planet. Then the primitive tau got along their normal primitive business unperturbed by the imperium or anyone else because warp storm. The early history description says the ethereals showed up after the strange lights appeared in the skies which I assume to mean stars became visible after the warp storm dissipated. Since none of them had any idea what stars were I assume the storm created a consistent shell around the planet so they just got bubbled in for 6,000 or so years give or take how long it took for them to get space travel to come into contact with the imperium after it showed up.

>>50187306

A little creative wiggling could still make this stick. Ethereals up in the mountain doing their monk-y thing getting in tune with the universe and shit getting stoned. Big hidden sanctuary that they kept out of general tau knowledge by way of having an inconspicuous ability to bend fate through the warp. Sense the emergent threat of the imperium coming to purge the shit out of the planet and lots of them get together as a collective and summon the storm. Probably lots of the participants die or the process is time consuming or needs to be channeled constantly a la astronomican so they don't immediately appear to unite the lesser tau until later.
>>
>>50187147

They also live in a very dense star cluster with hundreds of stars packed together full of aliens to ally with. Maybe they were all brought there.

I doubt GW knows anything about science. However, normal star clusters tend to dissolve within few million years. Its continuous presence could mean that it is an artificial cluster.
>>
>>50186882

cover saves against marker lights actually makes sense from a lore perspective and would go some way towards making coversaves useful when they're not ravenwing 2+ rerollable
>>
>>50185620
>Not liking massive, impressive models
What kind of hobbyist are you.
>>
>>50187147
>It was also noted that Eldar had been noted as kidnapping the queens years ago around taus rise to power, this coupled with the necrons sensing the old ones tampering in the tau leads me to believe some group of eldar uplifted them (fuck knows why)

That's from FFG Deahwatch Outer Reach: What it actually says is that the Necrons didn't detect any Old One tampering in the Tau. However, they detected the hand of one of the Old One Servants in the Tau.
>>
File: 54d.jpg (29KB, 493x280px) Image search: [Google]
54d.jpg
29KB, 493x280px
>>50187484

This
>>
>>50187365
> Nagi upgrade for ethereal, making them small psyker (the worm is the actual psyker)
>>
>>50184895
>#MKGA
>Make Kroot great again!

Give them some more and better alien allies, maybe even some human allies/slaves to make them more interesting in general and make everything bigger than a broadside a Walker type vehicle.
>>
>>50188497

>"Make [blank] great again" meme
>advocates for diversity
>>
>>50186522
Imagine this... a whole factory full of Earth Caste engineers.

>All battlesuits produced have a trigger switch to deactivate or self-destruct
>All drones are secretly working for the cultist agenda, diverting from regular tasks for surveillance
>>
they make great foils to the stagnant, super darkness everywhere

in most settings they would be the bad guys, but in 40k, they are the least evil race
>>
>>50184895
MAKE THEM MORE ANIME
>>
>>50185620
>anything bigger than a Land Raider or Leviathan Dreadnought

Fixed. Maybe Spartan can stay too but that's a pretty Epic vehicle.
>>
>>50185875
That's... Actually a great idea. Orks could use a few extra books.
>>
>>50188887
>>50185875

seconding this, you should write for Geedubs

god knows you'd do better than the crudmiester

*bitter tyranid noises*
>>
File: 1409778022876.jpg (20KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
1409778022876.jpg
20KB, 300x300px
>>50185004
>Blue Prints
>Does 3d printed tau parts
Cheeky
>>
Reduce all tau units Ld by 1 and make it so whenever a crisis suit or larger is destroyed every Tau unit but drones and kroot has to take a morale check. If they have an ethereal on the table, they automatically pass. If it was a riptide or storm surge that died, it is at ld-1
>>
>>50186881
Why? I know there are a lot of die-hard grimderp fans out there, but I feel the tau's way of doing things really added a deeper element to the setting
>>
>>50189115
This.

Tau units should have low morale without ethereals, to the point were killing them should be priority one. Perhaps the absorbed xeno races will start friendly fire if the ethereals die on a failed leadership test.
>>
>>50189176
I kind of Ike the idea that Tau have powerful tech and mighty suits, but get frightened easily when things start going poorly.
>>
>>50189136

They're the Tom Bombadil's of 40k. If you think they make 40k "deeper" you're just wrong and/or stupid.

I hate Blanche but Tau would have been better off sticking with the grungy, dark pre-Romance vibe Blanche's Tau concept had instead of this noble bright pure bullshit.
>>
Am i remembering correctly or do tau not use the warp? or is it that they can't?
>>
>>50189194
I think going down the pheromone route, fluff-wise and crunch-wise is a great idea. THey are already trash in melee too. Maybe lose leadership if too close to enemies.
>>
>>50189287

Both.

They both deny the exist of the Warp as a thing worth thinking about and also lack the technology and psychic inclination to navigate it even if they wanted to.
>>
>>50189287

I don't think they can navigate it, I haven't read up on lore in 40k for a while but I believe they have the technology to go into the warp but no way to accurately use it. Since they don't have any psykers they just go to their death with no way to come out or get to the right places.
>>
>>50189299
>Reduce the Ld of all Tau units except drones, kroot, vespids by 2
>Also reduce the points costs by about 15% allowing them to bring more bullshit and drive more sales of plastic army men
>Totally rework Ethereals

>Any army that includes a Tau detachment or formation MUST include an ethereal for free. Additional Ethereals may be purchased (with no limit), but each one costs twenty more points than the last. The first purchased Ethereal would be 20 points, the next would be 40 points, the one after 60 points, etc. To have five Ethereals would cost 200 total points, while six Ethereals would cost 300 total points, and so on.

All tau units (except kroot, drones, and vespids) gain the following bonuses depending on how many Ethereals are present on the table:

>4+ Ethereals
+4 Ld, Zealot
>3 Ethereals
+3 Ld, Fearless
>2 Ethereals
+2 Ld
>1 Ethereal
+1 Ld
>0 Ethereals
May not regroup if falling back.

In addition, whenever a unit of Crisis Suit, Broadside Suit, Ghostkeel, Riptide, Stormsurge, or bulshit forgeworld suit is wiped out, all tau units, except for kroot, vespid, drones, must immediately take a Morale test. If they have Fearless or Zealot, they automatically pass as you would expect. Suits on their own must still take the morale test and abide by the result, unless they would automatically pass. If it was a Ghostkeel, Riptide, Stormsurge, or FW suit that was wiped out, there is a -1 Ld modifier tot he morale test.

The general idea is that Tau would be a really strong force at full strength, and if you fight their troops and even suits without taking out their leaders they will crush you. But if you can weather the initial assault and start killing their leaders and suits, the rest get scared and run away. Even a Riptide pilot would shit his pants if he saw another riptide get gunned down and his friends dying all around him.
>>
>>50188698
>All drones are secretly working for the cultist agenda, diverting from regular tasks for surveillance
bonus points if different parts on the same drone are made at different factories, each with their own cell and own agenda, causing drone squads to act a little schizophrenic once fully assembled.
>>
>>50189632

Lore-wise, Tau kind of go both ways. They can go into a depression and lose cohesion with the death of their leader, or go on a rampage.

Old Tau rules made taking an Ethereal a huge potential setback for not a lot of benefit, so nobody ever fielded an Ethereal. Reintroducing that concept would probably not be favorable and again keep people from fielding Ethereals.

Also, don't Monstrous Creatures already have Fearless? Would Riptides be completely unaffected by it, then?
>>
>>50187569
I've thought about doing something like that in a Dark Heresy campaign. The acolytes have to deal with a bunch of Tau with these slugs that are mind-controlling loyal Imperial citizens or something.
>>
>>50186350
Really makes you think.
>>
>>50189864
If you word the rules such that penalties come from having no ethereals rather than ethereals dying, then people will take them

also either suits shouldn't be monsterous creatures, or fearless shouldn't be baked into MC and instead given out to MCs that are, you know, creatures, and not just a blueberry on stilts.
>>
>>50189632
Except that most Ethereals aren't military commanders; that's the Shas'o's job. when they take to the field, they provide moral support more than anything else.
>>
>>50189864
Which is why Anon not only made them compulsory, but also added buffs to taking multiples.
>>
>>50189632
>>50189864
I like it, the general idea here to me is:

nerf the leadership on all tau units when:
>no ethereal in army (dead or otherwise)
>enemy is close enough to be forced into melee

And when the ethereal is present you "remove" the nerf by adding a leadership bonus to all the units on the board.

Then maybe you can change the dynamics of how they are played as focusing on guarding the ethereal, and being buttfucked is something gets too close. If an idiot doesnt field an ethereal he gonna get raped.
>>
File: IMG_1736.png (117KB, 683x470px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1736.png
117KB, 683x470px
>>50189926
it was just an idea to make the tau more interesting and create ways to counter them without nerfing them too badly

because right now the main weakness of tau is only that Eldar and SM can out-cheese them. Tau also have a few mediocre units in their book, but those don't count since nobody fields them.
>>
>>50189953
and why not have
>every tau unit is so bad in melee even a squat would assfuck them to kingdom come
>except the ethereals, which are samurai
and bring back tons of xeno races under the tau to balance out the melee. Im talking pure melee fighting races.

with a catch.

If the ethereal dies, they go berserk and attack anything in sight.
>>
>>50189999
czched myself
>>
>>50188887
>>50188925
Well the idea would be to have campaign without necessarily having a whole faction jobbing.
The tau would be shown as competent, calculated and precise, but lacking reserves on the long term, almost an intruder on a much larger conflict.
The orks, while losing should be show at terrifying, relentless and innumerable, but unfocused and easily sidetracked. And of course prone to infighting.
Often, Tau can only win by not being there.
They should have at least one strategical defeat due to unwillingness to engage their forces in a bloody but decisive battle (think Aang the last airbender learning how to earthbend).

Then at one point you can have one "humylike" boss that is surprisingly cunning and got what the tau are on, use that for his own interest a little then started ruining their plan by not doing what you would expect from an ork. Only to get backstabbed by another boss he miscalculated by expecting him to understand they've got to get rid of the tau. He got trapped by thinking too logically and "human like".

That would be one of my ork character, the tragic humankind ork that rise and fall by being too smart for his own good. I could see him as the main character of a shonen parody.
>>
>>50189632
No offence, but that's the tyranid approach of "fixing" a codex....
I'm sorry anon, you are the Cruddace.
>>
>>50190403

I'd make it a minor tweak that instead of being backstabbed by another boss, his followers drain away/challenge him for leadership because he's acting all unorky.
>>
Need more tactical practicality.
>>
>>50189632
That's fucking retarded and not would make it so that no one would want to play Tau, it'd also also reduce game play to "pop Ethereals and suits" and "do nothing but protect Ethereals and suits." Realistically anyone left who still played Tau would just drop suits and stick one or two Ethereals in the corner. And there is no way GW would kill sales on crisis suits.
>>
>>50190446
wouldn't the cruddace way be doing all of that, but then also take away marker lights, increase points costs by 30%, and then remove half the choices in the book?
>>
Play up the Covenant-lite part of the Tau. Focus on the Tau Empire being a multi-species conglomerate. Make Kroot and Vespid auxiliaries, among others, actually a main focus of the list.

That way they'd actually be unique and also it would explain how they haven't been BTFO completely yet despite being a tiny shitty empire that the Imperium should have crushed (in a more agreeable manner than the current "THEY HAVE BIG INVINCIBLE ROBOTS" explanation)
>>
File: gits Tachikoma.jpg (117KB, 900x637px) Image search: [Google]
gits Tachikoma.jpg
117KB, 900x637px
>>50190667
And pic related is the new drone piloted infantry support replacing turrets?
>>
>>50184895
More hot Tau girls, I want my water caste goddamn it!
Earth Caste just as good
>>
File: Your everyday crisis suit.jpg (1005KB, 1276x1729px) Image search: [Google]
Your everyday crisis suit.jpg
1005KB, 1276x1729px
>>50184895
Made them Appleseed 2.0
Surpress the titanic mechs bullshit, everything mechas will go below 7 meters.
Oh, and made Torchstar a Deunan 2.0, literally.
We'll go 80s high leotard anime NAW!!
>>
>>50190770
>Surpress the titanic mechs bullshit
But anon, 40k is all about titanic bullshit.
>>
>>50190841

No, you don't understand, giant 40k mechs are only for the gothic medieval factions and maybe the elves. The robot suit faction shouldn't be the ones using them.
>>
File: Your Commander Shadowsun.jpg (12KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
Your Commander Shadowsun.jpg
12KB, 200x200px
>>50190709
>Tachikomas

YESSSSS!!!!!

And here's your Shadowsun

>>50190841
>40k is all about titanic bullshit
That was AdMech shit.
And Wingsfag can go play Swagdar's Titans, they'll be happier there.
>>
>>50190841
They should have Titanic bullshit. Just not mechs

Orcas, mantas, giant floating mobile missile factories.

Auxillary build giant war machines.
>>
>>50189999
sounds good, tzeentch
>>
>>50184895
decrase mek density, farsight katana ayys, and have them win through a max of constant high moral hope and sheer desperation
>>
KROOT. I WANNA SEE MORE KROOT.

and other alien auxiliaries, but mostly more Kroot. They really need better rules. If the rules on Kroot were decent, and we added in some other auxilliaries as well, it would add variety to the play style. That's what i think is a sign of a good game, is that even if its all the same faction there are multiple viable play styles. Options are great. 40k just needs more variation within armies in general, but especially the Tau.
>>
>>50185515
More like Eastern Fridge, am I right boys?
>>
>>50184895
Make them the Covenant, expand alien allies, pump the breaks on the fucking mechs already
>>
>>50190709
> We can be friends!
> Or we can shoot you to death
It's like they were made for the greater good all along!

>>50193016
So:
> Tau units are for gunline or mechanised mobility (vehicles and suits)
> Kroot units are for ambush and mobility, also cheap
> Vespids are... also mobile? Maybe make them chock troops?
> Gue'vesa are for cheap gunline?
> Demiurgs are heavy infantry, maybe heavy tank too.
Maybe I'm just not good at this.
>>
>>50184895
In terms of fluff?

Make their victories less asspully. Have them resort to brainwashed clone soldiers to keep up with attrition rates against the Imperium.
>>
>>50186285
The Kroot are fairly easy to make a list for, actually.
>HQ: Master Shaper, Shaper Council
>Elite: Veteran Mercs, Strong Kroot, Psychic Kroot, Melee Krootox Riders
>Troops: Regular Kroot
>FA: Kroot Hound Hunting Packs (led by 1-3 Kroot on Knarlocs), Knarloc Riders, Winged Kroot, Chameleonic Kroot
>HS: Heavy Weapons Krootox, Greater Knarloc
>LoW: Krootosaurus Rex or something
>Fortification: Spike Pits
>>
>>50186586
Yeah this I like the ideal that their braincontroling powers effects them as well and that they are 100% believers of the greater good

>>50186725
>I once describe my vision of them as hiding nothing behind countless masks.
>I'm sure a good writer could make them terrifying through genuine good faith.
>Hypocrites are overdone and can be done in the Imperium already.

The book Fire Warrior did the Ethereal there was always up beat no matter what happend to him and had so little emotional flaws a daemon couldn't possess him
>>
>>50194355
>Psychic Kroot
> On [exodite world], the eldar and a kroots kindred has pass the most peculiar protection contract.
> As an eldar pass away, his soul is protected inside his soulstone which is then joined to the world spirit.
> But what about his body? The eldar of [exodite world] find an unappetising but practical use for it: feeding it to the kroots in exchange of protection.
> The kroot grow strong of a rare delicacy and the eldar have an ally able to compensate their lack of number.
>>
I wonder what a Kroot "astronaut" looks like. They have spaceships.
>>
>>50186412
>You guys are morons. The way their fluff doesn't fit and asspulls and plot armors everywhere is even worse than their powerful crunch

I'll take 'What is 40k Lore for $200, Alex'
>>
>>50194634

Their ships are more or less just giant, enclosed hunting grounds with weapons on the outside.

Supposedly they got the knowledge of how to build such technology by eating Orks, so to a degree their tech is much like it, though a bit more "refined" ad uniform than slapped together, more like they have instinctive knowledge on how to create more advanced technology from more simple materials. I suspect they curate it much like they curate their genetics, refining it into something reliable if not terribly advanced. They are capable of Warp travel, so they must have access to astropaths.
>>
File: Ethereal Concept Art.png (570KB, 706x617px) Image search: [Google]
Ethereal Concept Art.png
570KB, 706x617px
>>50189286
>I hate Blanche but Tau would have been better off sticking with the grungy, dark pre-Romance vibe Blanche's Tau concept had instead of this noble bright pure bullshit.

I agree.

I especially like the Tau Ethereal's Ming the Merciless beard.
>>
>>50195118
Kroot vehicles, yes/no?
>>
>how to fix tau
it is not tau who are broken, but the tau players
>>
>>50195535
I like the idea of Kroot having hovering skiffs. They'd be like Raiders but with a webber-type weapon that they use for hunting. It'd be a cheaper but weaker alternative to the Devilfish and also a good mobile platform that they can shoot from. Fluff could have Tau Fire Warriors realising that the vehicles are actually pretty useful and putting them into production.
>>
File: Trandoshans in hunting vehicle.png (654KB, 713x514px) Image search: [Google]
Trandoshans in hunting vehicle.png
654KB, 713x514px
>>50195645
>>
>>50189898
>>50189864

MC's don't actually have baked in fearless, everyone just thinks they do because every MC worth its salt has fearless and most MC's can't be taken in squads so moral never comes into it

if a riptide squadron loses combat it has to take a leadership test or fall back
>>
By removing their bullshit rules while simultaneously doing the same for all the other factions. Reduce suit raw power level but give (even) more wargear flexibilty and encourage creative tactics.
>>
File: Padawanbts04.jpg (90KB, 800x637px) Image search: [Google]
Padawanbts04.jpg
90KB, 800x637px
>>50196045
Now that I think about it, trandoshans have a few things kroots could borrow. Just replace slave trade by meat trade.
Honourable kroot eat the heart of their enemy slain in battle, kroot scums fence it.
Pic related is a meatcargo ship.
>>
Multi Racial stalinist regime that purges species on the down low for not fitting in to the greater good perfectly. Maybe for being to agressive, to obtuse, too unevolved etc. Have a clear hierarchy of social classes seperated by race/caste. Say, Kroot being middle class due to rumors of them being mercinaries. So Tau and humans look down on them. But they all look down on vespid for being mere insects needing 'translators' just to fit in.
>>
>>50184895
by removing their balls
>>
>>50187100
>someone using the pic I made
Thanks, Anon. You're doing wonders for my smile.
>>
>>50196893
but people don't read the rules
>>
>>50184895
1.Buff Kroots and add new models (fucking KROOTZILLA

2.Create extra Vespid units that are useful and buff up Stingwings

3.Finally introduce Demiurg models

4.Add a new playable auxiliary race (Zoats that managed to escape the Nids and found refuge in the Tau Empire and the Farsight Enclaves)
>>
>>50195174
NOW THOSE ARE SOME PIMP'N ETHEREALS.
>>
>>50186412
Hilariously, most of Tau's recent shit mary sue fluff was written by a primarily Space Marines writer.
>>
>>50185705
You're that one dipshit that couldn't read and thinks Shadowsun beat Ravenboss in melee, aren't you?
>>
>>50187444
If stars were the strange lights, then they would still be strange lights to the Tau today. The strange lights are probably something that they haven't been able to see ever since the event. Perhaps the storm itself, or ships.
>>
>>50189943
This "solution" works for mid-sized games, but that's about it. It would mean that Tau are shit in smaller games where points are more precious, especially Kill Team. And shit in large apoc-games where units deletions are bread and butter.

Fluff-wise, Ethereals aren't present for every single brushfire skirmish, nor does this address Farsight Enclaves.

There's a reason that they weren't compulsory even in previous editions where they were important.
>>
>>50199421

It says alot about you faggots when you slobber all over Tau cock when it's Tau fluff that does this shit, but when it's marines you whine about it for years. YEARS.
>>
>>50195645
>webber
Maybe I'm missing something, but Kroot have no need of taking things alive. They gain genetic shit from the dead just as easily as the living.
>>
File: TauGenerals.jpg (59KB, 361x500px) Image search: [Google]
TauGenerals.jpg
59KB, 361x500px
>>50198626
>>
>>50200516
For the record, I think shit fluff is shit fluff, regardless of faction.
>>
>>50200582
YEEEAAARSSS!!!
>>
>>50187461
Depends what kind of cluster it is. Denser cluster, that can last long time, do exist, but are generally unsuitable for life for many reasons, such as low amount of heavier elements and hazarduous star activity.
>>
>>50200751
Which leads us back to GW knowing shit about science.
Then again it's ok, because 40k works on plot and literal space magic exists to handweave shit away.
>>
>>50184895
Chaos

Revoke their MarySue Status and allow Chaos/Dark Mechanicum to hack their technology, starting the whole DAoT 'Men-of-iron') fiasco all over again.

Actually show they losing to the more advanced races in the setting AKA NECRONS and the fuckswarms of fucktyranids.

They will truly become the buffer that the Eldar have envisioned
>>
>>50184895
1st you take 40k and FIX IT
then you worry about the races.....
>>
more pew pew pew
>>
>>50185060
Still don't understand what those Tau were thinking, even Spaces Marines and Guard at least form some sort of wall to shoot from
>>
>>50186997
While the bulk of the Tyranid Main Invasion Force is about to arrive any day now
Thread posts: 176
Thread images: 22

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.