[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Could a medieval city be built in the mouth of an extinct volcano?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4

File: white_bridge9_flatten.jpg (834KB, 1408x800px) Image search: [Google]
white_bridge9_flatten.jpg
834KB, 1408x800px
Could a medieval city be built in the mouth of an extinct volcano?
>>
That's usually a lake, but I guess if it's dry enough, or maybe if part of the caldera wall has collapsed to form an outlet it could work. Natural defensive walls and all that. Quite a bother though, so a certain degree of fantasyness will probably have to be accepted about it. Surroundings soils should be quite rich at least, once you terrace the fuck out of the volcano sides.
>>
>>50184534
magic
>>
>>50184534
There are several cities in Germany that they only recently found out were actually built in an ancient impact crater.
I think the church/cathedral in one of them is made of the original asteroid
>>
>>50184534
Should be a very low volcano because otherwise getting food and produce up to the city is gonna be a hassle.

Cities form at traderoute crossroads, so why is there a traderoute at the volcano
>>
>>50184534
Yes, look at french auvergne
>>
File: team-reflet-dacide[1].jpg (105KB, 550x247px) Image search: [Google]
team-reflet-dacide[1].jpg
105KB, 550x247px
>>50184534
Maender Alkoor!
What?
Everything began in Maender Alkoor.
>>
>>50184534
Short answer : Yes
Long Answer : Yes, but these specific conditions need apply
>>
File: 1478129616260.jpg (510KB, 722x800px) Image search: [Google]
1478129616260.jpg
510KB, 722x800px
>>50185468
>>50184565
>>50184573

The city is built inside a fairly low (but not that low because that's boring) extinct volcano. The volcano is partially water filled but part of the caldera wall has collapsed, letting some water out.

The city was originally just a citadel fortress for mages that wished to control the region. A city soon formed around the citadel on natural and artificial island inside the volcano and on the volcano wall.

Not only does the volcano city receive ordinary trade, it also has a few teleportation gates (because mages) that links it with other major cities in the region.

These teleportation gates are energy intense but are maintained thanks to the fact that the city is right on top some powerful leylines (because volcano).
>>
>>50185641
hein bon d'accord
>>
>>50184814
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/N%C3%B6rdlinger_Ries
This is true, but not really fitting with the idea I think most had of a massive crater/mountain.

There is also this location in Japan which might serve as inspiration.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aogashima
>>
Yes.
If you're looking for examples, I think glacial and fluvial cirques might be more frequent.

>>50185974
C'est une ville commerciale, située sur une île…et donc...

>>50186026
this look comfy as fuck.
>>
>>50186026
Nigga that looks cool as fuck

That is where I would live if I had unlimited money. I would build a series of towers on the caldera wall, and live in a giant castle in the middle of the island, then pretend to be a One Piece side-character for the rest of my life.
>>
>>50186026
Aogasima is actually semi-active, though. Any time there's an earthquake in the region of Japan, they get lava all over the place.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.