[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

NaNoWriMo

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 5

File: plusnet 2.png (65KB, 250x365px) Image search: [Google]
plusnet 2.png
65KB, 250x365px
November is National Novel Writing Month!

The goal of NaNoWriMo is to write a 50,000 word novel over the course of the month. That breaks down to just 1,667 words per day. This is a thread to ask questions, encourage, offer advice and plan out your novel.

Day 10 - Daily Word Count is now 16,666

>Which section are you most proud of?
>What are you struggling with right now?
>What are your bad habits as a writer?
>Have you used anything from /tg/ as inspiration?
>Are you exploring any themes, or just writing a story?
>>
File: 1475887032957.png (385KB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1475887032957.png
385KB, 1080x1080px
Haven't written a single word this month. My master thesis I really have to finish doesn't count, right?
>>
>>50182303
Stuck on 16k.

Haven't written anything in a few days now :/
>>
>>50182303
I couldn't get past the opening line/paragraph. Spent hours working on it, and couldn't do anything satisfying.
>>
>>50182666
What's the issue? Too busy or writers block?

>>50182697
Have you tried writing another opening parapragh? Same story, just a different start, to puch past the part you're stuck on.

>>50182592
No, but I'd say your thesis is more important. Try again in December/whenever you're finished.
>>
File: 1464806349252.png (260KB, 484x605px) Image search: [Google]
1464806349252.png
260KB, 484x605px
>>50182592
Preach it, I'm in the same boat.
>>
>>50182592
Act like it does. Godspeed, Anon.
>>
>>50182891
Yesterday I spent 14 years at work, and today I'm exhausted.

Same deal on mondag and tueday, but then I managed to write a bit in bed.
>>
>>50182303
I think my metaphor for what failure and success means within the purview of the context of their judgement is really good. I would like to expand it into a setting or story based on the Platonic ideals of earth-values and Forms.

I'm about to quit my job. A lot of the stress and utter retardation that inspired me writing my Nano piece is starting to boil over in the workplace and I'm not sure I can take it any more.

Commas and focus. I ramble and meander. Can't help it. I need an editor.

I'm making a Dragon Ball Z system in my spare time, so yeah.

I'm writing an essay exploring several topics.
-The state of modern education from a classroom-perspective.

-The correlation of "quality" to grades.

-How the essay has been perverted and misused by educational systems the world over, destroying its original purpose and potential value to education.

And a lot of other shit. Like I said, I ramble.
>>
Reminder that NaNoWriMo is for plebs who never wanted to be authors to begin with.

Reminder that NaNoWriMo is the definition of quantity over quality.
>>
>>50182303
Day 10, total word count 17200, words-per-day 1700.

>Most proud of?
I had a court trial and also a prophetic dream scene, both of which flowed pretty well.

>Struggling
Transitions. There's a lot of travelling in this story, and I'm fighting between having things move to fast and also having things bog down on shit that's just transitory.

>Bad habits
Overlong sentences. Also I get distracted away from what matters in the story sometimes.

>/tg/ inspiration
Oh tons, it's a fantasy novel.

>Exploring any themes
It's a standard fantasy romp, but I'm trying to intersperse messages about it being wrong to judge people based on overarching labels. People are evil or nice on an individual basis.
>>
>>50184906
>gr8 b8
>>
>>50185270
Having a hard time with travelling as well.

Trying to keep my characters from spending half the story in transit....
>>
>>50185444
Debate me faggot, debate me!
>>
>>50187223
Can we not? You don't like Nano, that's fine. It's a populist movement that approaches things differently from the traditional blood and sweat method of writing, and that either scares you or irritates you because you're a contrarian. That's okay though, no one is making you do it, no one is making you read these threads, no one is making you reply. No one is making you write. You are free to go back to your safe space, where the barriers of "talent" and "grit" justify your lack of writing, and grumble about the damn kids having fun and doing it wrong and sometimes even getting published. No one is going to stop you.
>>
>>50187574
>Can we not?
No. Why wouldn't we?
>y-you hurt me so you must be trolling!
Whatever kid.
>>
>>50187574
Just ignore the obvious troll anon, and stick to the NaNo thread.
>>
>>50188442
Anyways, how's the stories coming as well as the troubles and triumphs that have come with them for everyone?
>>
>>50188504
I've nearly finished chapter 1!
yeah i really need to pick up the pace.
>>
>>50189739
I totally forgot chapters were even a thing. I've just been writing.
>>
>>50182666
stuck around 8k. farthest i've gotten in a novel desu
>>
so I'm having a bit of issue, I was always a bit of introvert so now that I'm trying to write two characters flirting I'm completely lost on what to do. I'm debating on just time skipping to them waking up after a one night stand but that seems pretty cheap. so does any one have any tips on how to write that sort of interaction, especially with two people that only meet each other a few minutes ago?
>>
>>50182303
Stuck on 13k, desperately churning out what I can, trying to knock out that 3k before midnight... Have an end goal, but not too sure how I'm going to tie all this stuff together.
>>
>>50190701
Make them hate each other, let people imagine the subtext.
>>
14500, but haven't written in 2 days because of the elections and subsequent fallout mentally exhausting me.

I'm working on 8-10 chapter backstories for each of my 4 characters before I hop back into the main novel. Got 1 done, and 2 chapters of another.

I can't pick a specific section, but this was a project I started 12 years ago, and I'm proud of how its grown, and I'm proud that it's at a point where I feel its actually worth writing.

Overcoming the brain fog and getting back into it. Drawing my characters in the meantime.

Taking on too many projects at once, each with different styles so its hard to get back into one and keeping the same overall mood and pacing.

Not really. I don't come to this board much, I'm only here because /lit/ a shit.

Suffering, inner demons, and how people handle them in destructive ways. A more humanity-focused perception of war is also involved.
>>
>>50189808
Same here. It'll all most likely move around anyway, so I'm gettng a story down then going back and adding chapters.
>>
>>50189808
>>50192016
With NaNo its best to ignore chapters, anyway. When you focus on them, you focus too much on beginnings and endings which means you waste time re-reading and editing. Ignore them now, maybe place marks where it might be a good breaking point in between days/events, then next month when you review and refine the story you can add them in.
>>
>>50182303
Word count: ~800 so far. I feel like shit, haven't touched it in a few days due to writer's block.

>Proud of?
The dialogue feels natural at least
>Struggling?
See above
>Bad habits?
I love to rewrite and reformat everything after writing for 10 minutes
>Inspiration?
It's high fantasy with furries, so kinda.
>Exploring themes or writing a story?
Just writing a simple hero's journey plotline.

It's fine if I'm writing a screenplay/script, right?
>>
>>50191944
>subsequent fallout mentally exhausting me

Neck yourself junior, the world is too much for you.
>>
>>50182303
>>Which section are you most proud of?
Probably the parts at the end of each chapter where it goes to the narrator telling the story at a festival. I don't know why but I just really like it.
>>What are you struggling with right now?
The characters are running from a demonic invasion above ground (plus undead), and are trying to escape via the crypts but... I just realised the crypts really bore me. Like, REALLY bore me, and I can't bring myself to write a thing.
>>What are your bad habits as a writer?
I tend to go full tolkien, too much walking, too much people doing things, not much character development. I'm not good at dialogue, so I tend to avoid it, which is awful.
>>Have you used anything from /tg/ as inspiration?
Definitely, couldn't tell you what came from where though. I've worked on the setting for thirteen years, and over the past six I've been browsing /tg/ and playing pathfinder on every friday, so a lot of my setting grew into something unrecognisable over the last six years, and I think it's better for it.
>>Are you exploring any themes, or just writing a story?
It started as the latter, but it's got a running theme of; is magic evil? And then, there's the question of, if it isn't evil, how do we change the mind of a nation that it is convinced that it is?
>>
>>50193216
Oh, and as of now, my word count is 14,662.

Distinctly behind schedule.
>>
>>50193283
You can do it!
>>
>>50193399
Thanks anon!

Also, slightly related (I'm doing three short stories this year) question. In my setting, elves, especially the older ones, are very in touch with their home plane. The connection to this home plane strengthens as they do (by age, mentality, or power), and their appearances changes depending on what they do. An elf who uses magic to fly a lot might slowly begin to obtain avian features, a typical wood elf might start to look more like a dryad, or grow antlers etc.

I'm now a little stuck with that concept however, because I can't work out how the 16,000 year old elf, with a hugely strong connection to the home plane, who is considered a god by other elves, would look. He is so old that he's almost biologically a separate species to modern elves (there was an event that changed the biology of many of the races substantially, but he predates that event). I can't work out what the hell he would look like, as ruler of the wood elves (who are basically nazi-ish elven supremacists).
>>
>>50194178
How detailed do you have to get?

Might be better off doing "less is more".
>>
None of you will create works worth reading.

Why do you write?
>>
>>50196467

Personal satisfaction.
>>
>>50196467
It's fun
>>
>>50197338
You are a pleb. I am disappointed in you.
>>50197427
You are a patrician. I am glad you post here.
>>
File: 1477530798976.jpg (2KB, 125x100px) Image search: [Google]
1477530798976.jpg
2KB, 125x100px
>>50197471
>>
File: 1478558075013.gif (2MB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1478558075013.gif
2MB, 250x250px
>>50197471
It's a subtle difference - good catch, anon!
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.