[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How about a Fading Suns thread? It's sort of like 40K crossed

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 5

File: fs_a.jpg (21KB, 400x529px) Image search: [Google]
fs_a.jpg
21KB, 400x529px
How about a Fading Suns thread?

It's sort of like 40K crossed with Dune...I guess? Maybe? I don't know if it ever really took off, but there's a PC game adaptation also (which I now can't run either) that looks pretty rad and seems to have a cult following.

Seems odd that both the game and the pc game would fail to launch when the lore looks so cool. I haven't seen much reference to FS here on /tg/ so I thought we might pour one out for it. Did anyone play this system? How was it?
>>
>>50179076
>40k crossed with Dune

Sorry, that's still just 40k
>>
File: fs.jpg (149KB, 813x355px) Image search: [Google]
fs.jpg
149KB, 813x355px
>>50179097
Yeah, okay. I actually don't really know how to characterize this game. It's got an Emprah, but he's wrapped up in dynastic power politics...and there's a holy church, but it's not the Golden Path. Aliens aren't really so bad, it's not like humanity is fighting for its survival.

And then the art is kind of like Shadowrun...but a feudal space-opera version of Shadowrun. It's basically a whole bunch of 90s tropes thrown in a bag together and shaken around. Pretty cool imho.
>>
>>50179076
A quick glance makes it seem like 40K but less grimdark and kind of crossed with Battletech's setting politics-wise(at least that's what the Emperor Wars/Houses sound like). Seems pretty cool, I'll look into it further.
>>
File: ImperialHero.jpg (86KB, 420x570px) Image search: [Google]
ImperialHero.jpg
86KB, 420x570px
>>50179132
Sorry, posted wrong image.
>>
>>50179133
Yeah, that's a better comparison.

The pc game looks like a sort of features of things I generally like: hexes, tech trees, politics, war, etc. But I really like the whole noble houses feuding and having to make it work with the church and so on. They could have made it grimdark, but now everything's grimdark and gritty and this is actually kind of refreshing.

Maybe it just sort of had too many tropes all working at once to be really popular, because they weren't really doing anything that was so different from other games, I guess...but whenever I look at this stuff now I just think, shit, this has everything I like. Space, some feudal politics, neat technology stuff, etc. Sad that the game didn't catch with the public.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Bm2b9JHdlE
>>
File: FSunsloRes.jpg (49KB, 401x576px) Image search: [Google]
FSunsloRes.jpg
49KB, 401x576px
The best campaign I ever ran was in Fading Suns. It is by far my favorite sci-fi table top RPG. It has everything I like about 40k without the baggage and putrid grimdark that does not work for an RPG. 40k basically from the get go tells you nothing you do matters and everything sucks. Fading Suns says everything sucks but it is your Pancreator given mission to do something about it! Or just go make some money. Or play politics. What have you. But man is it getting dark in here and I hope somebody is searching for the fusebox.

It has an Emperor, but he is more like an actual emperor rather than a living idol, with actual political ramifications to supporting him or working against him. There is a universal church, but it is much more like the actual medieval church in both political presence and universal mission. There is a league of merchant guilds that control technology, industry, and economics. There are aliens, who are just as likely to be good or bad as humans are.

Basically, anytime someone wants me to run a 40k RPG I show them Fading Suns and why I prefer it for an RPG setting.
>>
File: 20.jpg (248KB, 1159x1500px) Image search: [Google]
20.jpg
248KB, 1159x1500px
Does anyone have the relevant pdfs?
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.