[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

EDH/Commander General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 332
Thread images: 72

File: 45.jpg (67KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
45.jpg
67KB, 312x445px
Old: >>50161827

RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
http://www.mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
http://www.tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the internet.
http://www.edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
http://manabasecrafter.com/

>CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
http://gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
http://www.magiccards.info
>>
File: both Braids.jpg (22KB, 296x394px) Image search: [Google]
both Braids.jpg
22KB, 296x394px
No special specific edition?

I hereby declare EDH Braids Edition
>>
File: reading comprehension.png (12KB, 565x158px) Image search: [Google]
reading comprehension.png
12KB, 565x158px
>>50177801
Your waifu a shit.
>>
File: fucking ass.jpg (86KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
fucking ass.jpg
86KB, 312x445px
3rd for best Wincon
>>
>>50177677

I've always liked Gatekeeper of Malakir, especially versus decks that like to go tall.
>>
File: vat.jpg (30KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
vat.jpg
30KB, 223x310px
>>50177839
You got that right, since when a card or a cosplayer i dont know of would be "waifu" or even MY waifu when I already have a woman in my life

Pic related is dirt cheap and such a good card, I recommend
>>
Some people had just begun talking about Trostani decks when the last thread died. What did you find to be the most efficient initial token creators for populating?
>>
>flickering reality acid

feels good man
>>
which 2016 deck should i play first at my saturday play group? i was thinking the cascading one
>>
File: 1398889382367.jpg (14KB, 157x161px) Image search: [Google]
1398889382367.jpg
14KB, 157x161px
>>50178016

>Playing at uni
>One dude is about to break this out
>Have class in like five minutes
>Oh fuck I have just the plan
>Pops it on one of my lands
>Scoop in response
>Leave for class
>Uproar of laughter from table
>>
File: firefox_2016-11-09_19-00-15.png (2KB, 200x73px) Image search: [Google]
firefox_2016-11-09_19-00-15.png
2KB, 200x73px
oh shit my precon deck just got shipped

If it arrives tomorrow Im gonna flip
>>
File: 23[1].jpg (71KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
23[1].jpg
71KB, 312x445px
>>50177677
Reality Acid is cool and has some cool bounce synergy

But personally I prefer Soul Tithe for aura kills
>>
>>50178090
Wait, what repeatable noncreature bounce does blue have?
>>
>>50178494
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Fuck if I know. Use more colors.
>>
>>50178494

Capsize?
>>
>>50178494
Flicker =/= bounce
>>
>>50178511
Capsize.
Venser + damn near anything.
Barrin
>>
>>50178494
>>
File: Sheltered-Aerie.jpg (31KB, 205x294px) Image search: [Google]
Sheltered-Aerie.jpg
31KB, 205x294px
Dumb question, does this card let me pick two of any different colors or only just one color of mana?
>>
>>50178733
>of any one color
>>
>>50178733

of any ONE colour.
>>
>>50178733
>Add two mana of any one color to your mana pool
>Of any one color
>One color

Gee, I wonder?
>>
>>50178784
>>50178786
>>50178787
Hence dumb question. Thanks
>>
File: treacherous urge.jpg (338KB, 1280x917px) Image search: [Google]
treacherous urge.jpg
338KB, 1280x917px
fucking standard staples i want a Grim Flayer for my Jarad deck so badly but it's 20 fuckin dollars man
>>
File: sundae shirt.jpg (43KB, 300x400px) Image search: [Google]
sundae shirt.jpg
43KB, 300x400px
Give me spicy cards for breya. I already know about the saheeli infinite combo
>>
File: deathrite.jpg (367KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
deathrite.jpg
367KB, 1600x1200px
>>50178926
speaking of Jarad, how many self-mill or dredge cards are the right amount to fuel the graveyard in B/G?
>>
>>50178966
Life from the Loam
Stinkweed Imp
Dakmor Salvage
Nyx Weaver
Deadbridge Chant
>>
>>50179012
>>50178966
woops, didnt read that carefully

Depends, I'd say around 5 since you have black anyway, and can tutor for the dredge cards that are easier to activate.
>>
>friend playing lazav
>has a 65/65 consuming aberration in play and no other creatures.
>another friend casts act of treason on the aberration with a smug lo ok on his face
>swings against the lazav player
>lazav player casts an instant that goes "destroy target creature. Then that creature's controler puts the top cards of his library into his graveyard equal to the creature's power.
>mills him for 65 and kills him.

Fuck i gotta hand it to him. Mulling someone to death in edh is hard, not to mention without an infinite combo. We all applauded him for such a stylish kill.
>>
>>50179025
You don't lose until you draw an empty library. Assuming the guy didn't have a lot of life, it'd just end up a mutual kill.
>>
>>50179039
the guy had probably less than 65 cards in his library
>>
>>50179049
How does my point not stand? You don't lose from milling, you lose from trying to draw when your library's empty.

Another thing that I'm giving a pass to because it probably didn't matter too much, but unless through blind luck, Consuming Aberration's power and toughness wouldn't have remained the same, since it changed controllers and counts opponent's graveyards.
>>
>>50179039
You forget the part where the aberration was destroyed?
>>
>>50179083
You're right, I did forget that. My bad.
>>
>>50179025
>Milling someone to death in EDH is hard

Saw a guy at my edh night mill fairly efficiently with Phenax
>>
>>50179104
it's hard because in most moderately competitive playgroups, people run graveyard shuffle effects or one of the old Eldrazi titans.
>>
>>50179082
thats true. I understood the effect as draw rather than put in your hand
>>
>>50177995
Dance of Many
Cackling Counterpart
>>
>>50179120
That and mill takes too long most of the time. You'll usually have to focus one guy with targeted mill while you're general mill cards do work. People don't like to be targeted, so they'll probably start swinging like crazy.
>>
I'm wondering, does anyone here have some suggestions for really mechanically interesting mono-blue or mono-black commanders or deck themes?

I currently have mono-red (Kurkesh), mono-green (Yeva) and am building mono-white Heliod, and it seems like if I'm in this deep I might as well go whole hog.

Problem is, blue and black are not that interesting as mono-colours. They lack the limitations of building mono in the other colours - ie people actually build mU or mB decks for competitiveness sometimes

I used to have a Thada Adel mU deck, but she was just killed on sight because stealing stuff makes people feel salty or some such. So any deck along those lines will probably have the same results
>>
File: Image.jpg (33KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
Image.jpg
33KB, 223x310px
>>50179322
Found this just a little while ago looking for a neat commander myself, hope it's fun for you
>>
I was thinking of building Tana/Ravos but Ravos is kind of mediocre, and Tana is kind of mediocre. I feel like Rith would do the same thing but better so the only thing it's got going for it is access to four colours.
>>
>>50179322
Zhang He and everything decent to crank out tokens?

No, resist the urge to voltron your horsemanship dude, crank out more tokens!
>>
>>50178963
spicy as interesting or spicy as in "I want to win as fast as possible"?
The first may be hard and interesting to answer.
The second, just google infinite combos and pack the deck with disruption/protection according to your meta.

So, which one is more important to you: winning in a casual format or fun/interesting interactions?
>>
File: rayne.jpg (30KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
rayne.jpg
30KB, 223x310px
>>50179322
>>
>>50179409
An extra colour is a big thing, as well as diving your commander casting cost / tax.
>>
>>50179409
Rith sucks. Very slow and often people won't have THAT many cards of a given color in their hands, either due to lands, artifacts, a lot of colors or just a small hand.
>>
File: polymorph.png (135KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
polymorph.png
135KB, 223x310px
>>50179322
>>
>>50179528
Rith's not Darigaaz who is a piece of crap. Counts colours of permanents so should more than double your saprolings every turn. Rith's fucking great.

Understandable mistake to make.
>>
>>50179409
Give tana auras that makes it easier to hit opponents directly.should be plenty in RGWB
>>
>>50179556
Oopsie doopsie, sure permanents, but I still hate how slow those dragons are. Marath is better for tokens in those colours, or Gahiji to enable them.
>>
>>50179322
My friends had a nasty mono blue Jin Gitaxias deck simply because getting gas and making everyone discard was a house, another friend had a low-key Thassa deck but let me tell you when it turned into a 5/5 indestructible it was a problem. Another friend's working on a Sun Quan deck.

Other suggestions: Chisei + cumulative upkeep, Heidar, Lorthos lockdown, Meloku cheese, Talrand spells and dudes, Uyo?
>>
>>50179322
Endrek sahr sacrifice abuse
>>
>>50179588
Rith looks fantastic compared to, say, Hazezon "style points" Tamar and at least has flying compared to Tana.

Yeah Marath and even the two-colour Ulasht are super awesome.
>>
>>50179322
>Blue
Kaho toolbox
Talrand permission control
Sakashima copying & theft

>Black
Toshiro noncreatures.dec
Drana big mana
Shirei weenie stax
>>
>>50179430
Just fun stuff. I don't like being that faggot that runs multiple infinite combos
>>
>>50179605
Having to hit with her is a huge drawback, especially on a six mana creature, with a further three mana needed if you want to play, swing, and activate right away.
>>
>>50179655
What exactly are you trying to build? Are you centering the deck around and her abilities? Just using her for colors and/or artifact theme?
>>
File: HEREWEGO.jpg (34KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
HEREWEGO.jpg
34KB, 223x310px
>>50177677
secret rakdos tech. turns chumps into killers, one sided wipes into full blown blowups, and surprisingly works well with cards with the name aristocrat in them.
>>
>>50179593
>Mentioning Meloku and Uyo without mentioning Patron of the Moon
>>
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/channel-the-flannel/

Opinions?
>>
>>50179322
>Blue
Thassa fatties
>Black
Horobi targeting things
King Macar with vehicles and other tappy things (MUST be all foil if you want to do it right)
Volrath the Fallen voltron/reanimator
Gonti stealing things would probably be cooler than any of these but apparently your playgroup can't handle that
>>
>>50179388
>>50179425
>>50179467
>>50179536
>>50179593
>>50179597
>>50179654
Cheers for the suggestions, even the ones I didn't go with!

Looking for general comments on any of the options to help me narrow it down.

Shortlist is;

Marrowgnawer Rats.
>Krenko was my first deck and only deck for a long time, so I can imagine how this one works. Are there enough ways to get rats on the board though?

Rayne
>Mono blue fatties perhaps? Any decent creature in my meta is instantly blasted by some removal, Rayne goes a long way to helping make fatties viable in that situation

Endrek Sahr
>Are there any particularly interesting ways to profit off of the tokens? Not stax/edict.

Kaho
>Biggest issues are wincons and the fact that I'm loathe to play spellslinger without red. How do I go on the offense in this deck without resorting to theft spells or Talrand?

Shirei
>How effective would this general be without stax?

Drana Big Mana
>Big black fatties is ok by me, but outside of Exsanguinate which is boring to me, what else can I use big mana for in black?

//Not made the cut//

>Chisei Cumulative Upkeep: Not enough targets. Only really Mystic Remora (which *is* great) and Reality Twist which I can't use due to colour identity. Such a sweet idea though

Heidar: Snow lands are too expensive

>Lorthos: Too similar to a friend's deck

Meloku: I just don't see the cheese here?

>Talrand: Too popular

Uyo: Too similar to existing decks (spellslinger copy stuff)

>Sakashima: Theft gets too much salt around here

Toshiro: Too similar to opponent's Kophophed deck
>>
>>50180019
A friend runs Thassa already. Likewise for Horobi.

I have tried Macar, just couldn't make it consistent.

Volrath: How do we make this consistent? I don't want a deck that is shut down completely by Swords to Plowshares. Otherwise mB voltron would be awesome

Gonti: Yep, salty as fuck. And your right, he does look awesome
>>
>>50179999

That's pretty awesome actually
>>
>>50180043
Shirei is the only one of these generals I own and the only non-stax build that works is a Shadowborn Apostle deck. You can make it Demon tribal if you like, or you can set up some comvoluted combos with Rune-Scarred Demon. I played it as demon tribal for a while before switching to stax when I moved and wound up in a more competitive/less whiny scene.
>>
>>50179999
Definitely a cool deck.

Seems a little land-light but that may just be a personal bias.

Surprised not to see Krenko, Rude Awakening, or Master of the Wild Hunt.
>>
File: endrek.jpg (67KB, 1000x1600px) Image search: [Google]
endrek.jpg
67KB, 1000x1600px
>>50180043

>Endrek Sahr
>Are there any particularly interesting ways to profit off of the tokens? Not stax/edict.

Not stax/edict? Not really imo. Aetherworks marvel is fun, but for the most part you want to abuse gravepact, blood artist, ormendahl, dark prophecy, carnival of souls, flesh-eater imp, that sort of thing. Smokestack / death cloud / pox/ smallpox.
>>
File: Yukora.jpg (964KB, 1701x1274px) Image search: [Google]
Yukora.jpg
964KB, 1701x1274px
So I'm trying a creatureless build with Yukora at the lead, and Holy fuck it's fun.
Turn 2 5/5 commander and removal to deal with any blocker they can manage is great.

Plus the art is fantastic

I find decks like this incredibly comfy, something you wanted to try to build in a manic feverdream and actually getting it built in paper just feels nice.
>>
>>50180053
Re: Volrath and consistency

The obvious answer is to run hexproof/shroud equipments, but there's more to it than that.

Volrath isn't pure Voltron; he also stocks your yard with fatties to reanimate. If you discard something large and get Volrath swords'd you can just get it out of your graveyard. They've used up spot removal trying to save themselves from death and you have a scary monster in play

You're also in the best tutor color and the second best card-drawing color, so getting the pieces you need shouldn't be a problem. Lots of Voltron decks run Steelshaper's Gift and Open the Armory; you get Demonic/Vampiric/any number of versatile tutors depending on your budget and the power level you want your deck to be.

If you still are too wary you could always try Korlash for mono black Voltron. Less explosive, less potential for combat phase blowouts.
>>
>>50177874
This literally impossible in Sanctioned Commander because deck size must be exactly 99 cards and sideboard must be exactly 15 cards. You can never through legal game actions get 200 cards in your deck.

Of course if you and your friends play casual it's fine, but still difficult, to add over 100 cards to your deck from outside thr game. Spawnsire of Ulamog is the only way I know how and at that point you should just swing with inappropriately high annihilator
instead.
>>
File: Image (3).png (126KB, 223x311px) Image search: [Google]
Image (3).png
126KB, 223x311px
yo /tg/ I'm converting my basically unchanged mono-black pre-con deck into having Gonti as its general (because I drink your milshake). I'm putting in:
Blade of selves
Erratic portal
Conjurer's closet
Strionic resonator
Skull collector (there's a niche one)
Sidisi, undead vizier

Anything else I should look for?
>>
File: hannah.jpg (49KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
hannah.jpg
49KB, 375x523px
>>50177995
Things like seance, mimic vat, armada wurm, angelic accord

Does Hanna ship's Navigator make for a decent pillowfort deck?? If not what direction would you take?
>>
is it possible to make a Karona deck that isn't grouphug? anyone has examples?
>>
>>50179605
Wtf are you on about? Hazezon is a way more reliable and consistent token generator than Rith as you only have to cast him, rather than cost and then connect. He also allows for a more streamlined deck, as you don't need as many other token generators and he can recover your board from a wipe way easier. Rith always seems like he'll either be ineffective or winmore.
>>
>>50180244
Turn 2 with dark rit or?
>>
>>50179225
Buddy of mine is making a phenax deck, it can be scary sometimes. Mill isn't the only wincon. He also puts down a bunch of creatures that grow with cards or creatures in all/opponents graveyards. I've seen him swing with a 85/85 consuming abberation. He just needs a bit more play experience and politics insight to become up to par with the playgroup, but the deck itself is rock solid.
>>
File: Telemin Performance.full.jpg (41KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
Telemin Performance.full.jpg
41KB, 312x445px
>>50179025
I've done it before by accident twice, once on a creatureless Narset and the other casting the same spell twice on an Erebos. The spell? Pic related.
>>
File: Children_of_Korlis_640.jpg (87KB, 640x471px) Image search: [Google]
Children_of_Korlis_640.jpg
87KB, 640x471px
>>50178494

Temporal Adept, Time Elemental, Tradewind Rider.
>>
>>50181869
Neat, stuff like that is what I need for Rashmi.
>>
File: SiAr.jpg (41KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
SiAr.jpg
41KB, 312x445px
Does Silent Arbiter paint too much of a bullseye on you or does it successfully affect the board state long enough to do something meaningful?
>>
File: 1411237082201.jpg (30KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
1411237082201.jpg
30KB, 480x480px
>Villa Z closed shop
> Order I placed two weeks ago still hasn't left china

Should I panic?
>>
File: saskiashell.png (928KB, 1212x563px) Image search: [Google]
saskiashell.png
928KB, 1212x563px
My meta is too slow, and I want to crush someone under my heel with an aggressive commander.
Keeping in theme with the new commanders soon, Saskia sounds like a fun new way to do this, mixing elements of the Modern Chord/Pod Toolbox along with some generally decent beef at the top end (generally stuff like Prison effects such as Iona and the Avacyn/Sigarda combo).
However I'm not sure where to end the combos, and where for the goodstuff to begin.
I've also been toying with Primal Surge as a win-button if I built around it, or Armageddon effects to secure an existing board and just consistently beat down.
I always start a list then get frustrated half-way through when I get stuck and restart.
My auto-includes appear to be the following however, it's just moving from this point I always get confused upon.
>>
>>50177677
>tfw spending money so I can stay competitive against tier 1 decks

I can feel my decks becoming stronger, i-it feels good
>>
File: 1477696365540.png (340KB, 513x375px) Image search: [Google]
1477696365540.png
340KB, 513x375px
>>50179948
Damn. That is snazzy. What other spicy Rakdos tech can I add to share the pain with my playgroup.
>>
>>50180821
Praetor's grasp?
>>
>Ordered Oracle of Mul Daya from TCG on a seller that has only 10 lifetime sales
>took over a week to finally make the order "shipped status"

If it actually gets to me and the card is in the condition it was sold as, do I need to be harsh at my feedback? Or should I go easy with this newbie seller?
>>
>>50182693
Just say it took some time to ship but aside that everything's alright.
>>
why /hype for tomorrow/ here
>>
>>50182693
just say it took longer than expected or something like that
>>
File: thisishowirakdoscontrol.png (687KB, 566x310px) Image search: [Google]
thisishowirakdoscontrol.png
687KB, 566x310px
>>50182616
pain magnification is a good anti hug card, might even prevent attacks due to risk of retaliation and getting hellbent, which you might not even mind if you are going suicide rakdos.

while googling the image for pain magnification, this spicy combo was first results. screw death and taxes, try play and die! also, megrim + pain magnification + any furnace effect = take a lightning or discard a card and your opponents hand size equals zero. that'll teach them to play blue!

also remember, lord of riots should only be played like the music of his people: loud, heavy, and metal. lots of cost reductions and multiplayer damage enablers go a long way. heartless summoning is a favorite of mine in my standard old innistrad block. yeah your stuff gets -1/-1 but you shouldnt be playing weaklings and you get a snazzy 2 cost reduction on creatures. can anyone say free myr superion?
>>
>>50180043
>are there enough ways to get rats on board?
Look up Ravenous Rats
>>
>>50182385
Unless there is more than one deck that goes wide in the game, Arbiter usually lasts for a few turns, because people just swing with their biggest fatty and don't mind. It certainly draws less hate than something like propaganda
>>
>>50183047
My bad, I meant Relentless Rats
>>50180043
>>
File: Ezuri.png (131KB, 223x311px) Image search: [Google]
Ezuri.png
131KB, 223x311px
>>50177677
I'm playing a heavily modified G/B Ezuri, Claw of Progress. I was wondering if you guys have got some decent recommendations for the deck, and I'll try and get a decklist as soon as possible.
>>
>>50183128
i cant really make any recommendations without seeing the list aside from common staples. off the top of my head i would suggest spore frog though
>>
>>50183128
Inkmoth Nexus usually kills people really fast.
>>
File: 20161110_155704.jpg (800KB, 2240x1344px) Image search: [Google]
20161110_155704.jpg
800KB, 2240x1344px
>>50177677
These are my wincons, i run Meloku as captain of a creatureless deck, any suggestions u should add ?
>>
>>50178963
Breya + Nim Deathmantle + Krark Clan Ironworks/Ashnod's Altar makes infinite damage or infinite lifegain.
>>
>>50183128
Blighted Agent is a decent wincon
Hooded Hydra and/or Chasm Skulker can basically double your counters and give you a bunch of chumps
Mindless Automaton for draw
Fertilid and Gyre Sage for big mana
Spike Weaver for lots of fogging
>>
>>50183128
Ok, here it is, although I think I might have missed a card
>>
>>50183374
Balls, I'm an idiot
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/gu-ezuri-claw-of-progress-1/
>>
>>50183128
Champion of Lambholt so you can possibly have many unblockable creatures. Hooded Hydra/Chasm skulker for ez experience counters. Sage of Hours if you want infinite turns. I am also partial to living hive
>>
>>50181652
Yeah,or sol ring
>>
>>50178664

that fucking file name

I laughed, anon
>>
Shu Yun players: How often do you find yourself killing off one player, only to find yourself out of gas to go after the rest of the table? Do you have any way around this, besides playing table politics?
>>
File: Recurring Nightmare.jpg (38KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
Recurring Nightmare.jpg
38KB, 223x310px
Unban when?
>>
>>50179999

How'd you get that alt art?
>>
>>50181615
Yeah, slivers, colored eldrazi, basically any tribe honestly
>>
>>50183779
Looks like it was hand painted w/ acrylic
>>
>>50183825

Nice. I looked for it and it was on a Tumblr, so I'm assuming it's a one-off. I'd totally commission a copy of that.
>>
File: aK8kWEE.gif (70KB, 512x384px) Image search: [Google]
aK8kWEE.gif
70KB, 512x384px
Hey there TG! I would like to build a noncombo Oath of druids edh deck. Just I guess good stuff and spitting out huge creatures. Is this a thing in edh?
>>
>>50182385

This card is great until they play a menace fattie
>>
>>50183920

Makes no sense
>>
File: IMG_0246.jpg (47KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0246.jpg
47KB, 223x310px
Can this be a viable EDH deck?
>>
>>50184034
Haven't you looked into competetive edh ever? Doomsday is all over the place.
>>
>>50184077

Not really

It's there but it's not "all over the place", it's strong and viable at the top level of play but it's not popular
>>
>>50183766
Use Corpse Dance + Ashnod's Altar instead. Just as good and instant.
>>
File: tumblr_o41glqGvxm1u9beo8o1_1280.jpg (2MB, 1200x1593px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o41glqGvxm1u9beo8o1_1280.jpg
2MB, 1200x1593px
I'm currently playing Tazri 5c Allies and I'm probably getting Breya's Precon Deck. I want a budget, fun, MonoColored deck to chill from retarded manabases. Suggestions?
>>
>>50184169

Isn't that an argument for unbanning it anyway?
>>
>>50184222
Well its not just as good, since its a two card combo and it costs more mana, and there is the weird top of graveyard clause. Its better than a two card combo that recursion decks usually win the game with, plus that combo can be hated out by blowing up the altar. You can't blow up Recurring Nightmare, even with K grip.
>>
>>50183008
This is beautiful. I'm running a new olvia list as a suicide aggro but this has convinced me to make the upgrade to our lord and savior Rakdos. Bless you based anon.
>>
>>50184244
Recurring Nightmare also needs 3 cards in total. And with just as good I meant it both shortens to "2B: Have an ETB happen". With Corpse Dance even at instant speed.
>>
>>50184373
ashnod's altar is stopped by enchantment/artifact removal though.
>>
File: loathing.jpg (32KB, 300x451px) Image search: [Google]
loathing.jpg
32KB, 300x451px
Hey guys, Sheldon Menery here, Hall of Famer judge and spokesman for the Official Commander format! I came here to Four Channel to deliver a few changes to the way the best format works. All of these changes are in the spirit of the Official Commander format!

Format-wide rules changes:
1. If an effect would cause any player but its controller to sacrifice one or more permanents, that effect's controller loses the game instead.
2. If an effect would destroy one or more permanents, that effect's controller loses the game instead.
>Changes 1. and 2. are experiments meant to allow players to build a boardstate early on without cheap disruption and removal.
3. Spells can't be countered or exiled.
>Someone came into our playgroup recently with a subset of rare cards that could remove spells from the stack before they resolved. In the interest of maintaining fun, we've reduced the effectiveness of those cards.
4. Whenever a permanent enters the battlefield, each player but that permanent's controller gets priority. While a player has priority given this way, he or she may cast spells as though they had flash.
>This lets players respond to otherwise tricky things like Recurring Nightmare.
5. Players whose commander contains the colors green and blue in its identity may draw up to twenty cards to start the game. Additionally, those players receive an emblem with "You may play any number of lands each turn."
>We think this will allow "UGx" decks to run fewer staples and diversify the format.

Good luck to you all, and I hope you'll buy lots of Star City Games playmats and merchandise!
>>
File: deckblox.png (1MB, 647x776px) Image search: [Google]
deckblox.png
1MB, 647x776px
>>50184169
that synergy is stupid good. i made a deck that ended up having both by chance, and it's made playing it kind of boring. i end up tutoring for ashnods/corpse dance in like half the games i play.

but to be fair, ashnods altar is the real problem, which is weird because it doesn't necessarily seem that powerful on paper. corpse dance without ashnods isn't broken at all. whenever i plop ashnods altar on the board these days, i basically ask everyone to kill it because like half my deck turns from "pretty good" to "i win the game now".

like a typical wincon involves me saccing and reanimating sidisi/rune-demon as well as a bunch of other shit, and then i just win because i corpse dance kokusho or gary 7 times in a row. i guess it's still a fun deck, but i don't like abusing the same wincon every time.

-------

also pic related is a deckbox i made out of wood. i asked what design to go for sometime ago in one of these generals and i went with the one you guys "voted" for

probably going to stain it dark green or something, and finish it with lacquer. i was going to give it to a friend but alas, it probably doesn't house double sleeved cards very well so i don't know if that would work out
>>
>>50184174
Sakashima clones/theft
>>
>>50178963
what is the saheeli infinite combo?
>>
>>50184174
Yisan
>>
>>50184736
Saheeli+Altar of the Brood+Liquimetal Coating iirc
>>
>>50184845

How does it work?
>>
>>50184887
You turn Saheeli into an artifact and then with her -2 make a copy. Each copy that enters triggers Altar. Infinite mill.
>>
>>50184898

but i thought you couldn't have more then one saheeli in play at once do you just sacrifice the older copy?
>>
>>50184898
Wouldn't you have to sacrifice the older copy or the original Saheeli? This only works if you have Lattice in play.
>>
>>50184914
Yeah that's right.

>>50184924
No because the copies Saheeli creates are also artifacts
>>
File: 1475594791159.png (663KB, 719x720px) Image search: [Google]
1475594791159.png
663KB, 719x720px
>>50184932

That is pretty sweet thanks for explaining.
>>
>>50184932
Oh yeah, my bad. I totally forgot this detail.
>>
>>50184961
No trouble anon, it's not the most bright combo because damn Titans but it's wacky af and it's UR artifacts.
>>
>>50184445
Oh is this the box that was going to be for your Golgaribro? Looks like it turned out pretty well.
>>
>>50180244
Kamigawa has some great commanders for doing really weird and janky things.
>>
>>50183162
Planar Portal, makes Beacon go off really well.
>>
File: Image.jpg (29KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
Image.jpg
29KB, 223x310px
Well, Trump won, so I'm thinking of finally putting together a Maga, Traitor to Mortals deck, any ideas for some fun flavorful tech?
>>
>>50185145
yeah that was me. went better than i expected, except for the fact that i forgot to ask if he double sleeves so i goofed the dimensions.

anyone know how much dual sleeving adds to the height of a deck if compressed? 20%? i've got about 1 to 1,5cm of leeway to work with.
>>
I have 50$ to spend on EDH stuff.
Do I:
Finish Slobad
Start Niv Mizzet Wizard Tribal
Shore up Karador
>>
>>50185465
Finish Slobad
>>
>>50185465
Competitive or casual? Finish Slobad for events or build a budget Niv to experiment with some friends. Niv wizards sounds like a lot of fun actually.
>>
>>50185498
>>50185526
>Finish Slobad

You guys told me exactly what I wanted to hear.

>Niv Wizards
Yeah, I wanna expand on Azami Lists and just have a reason to use the smartest being in the Multiverse.
>>
>>50185465
put that money towards an original dual land for that extra competitive edge
>>
File: look at watermark.png (827KB, 627x1118px) Image search: [Google]
look at watermark.png
827KB, 627x1118px
>>50183859
Honestly, my girlfriend does extended borders with acrylic , I'm sure she could emulate that perfectly. If you're interested, let me know. I can get you in touch.
>>
>>50185465
Niv is fun, but I found myself doing more card draw than Wizard tribal, even though that was my first plan.
>>
So, I'm trying to build Yisan. My meta is super competitive, but all my money's gone towards making my other edh deck good.
I currently have a deck that's a mix between http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/yisan-budget-bard/ and http://landdestruction.com/yisan-the-wanderer-bard-edh-deck/ but I don't know if I should focus more on one or the other. Any ideas?
>>
>>50185679
Go as toolbox as possible
>>
>>50185664

Your girlfriend is cancer

Wasting her art skills by ruining cards

Why do alter fags always want the shitty extended border?
>>
File: ub1smht.jpg (43KB, 400x350px) Image search: [Google]
ub1smht.jpg
43KB, 400x350px
>>50185820
yeah, it's almost like aesthetics tastes are subjective and different people like different things or something nutty like that.
>>
>>50185820
Subjective my friend

I personally love white borders and alters
>>
I love getting product early. :)
>>
Any ideas on what to cut?
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/malfegor-pain-gain/
>>
>>50185679
Yisan has a linear win condition that goes through a bunch of toolbox effects, you can freely go between any builds and just pick up whatever works for you at each CMC until your win condition happens.

You can also check out those two builds which are very competitive:
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/yisan-elfball-1/
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/wanderers-song/
>>
>>50185551
Got a list for Slobad? Been wanting to build him, had him in a binder since I pulled him from a pack ages ago.
>>
File: EDH Decks.jpg (2MB, 3446x2843px) Image search: [Google]
EDH Decks.jpg
2MB, 3446x2843px
>>50185465
Niv Mizzet and Slobad are both patrician choices.
>>
File: KLD_Diabolic_tutor_Gallery_0.jpg (174KB, 1200x675px) Image search: [Google]
KLD_Diabolic_tutor_Gallery_0.jpg
174KB, 1200x675px
>>50184278
np rakbro. i been running auntie wort myself. og olivia is pretty sweet thou, run anti vampire tech for fun times. i wanna run her with sleeves of the new diabolic tutor and call it <spoiler> hey bitch wait till you see my dick</spoiler>
>>
File: Image.jpg (34KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
Image.jpg
34KB, 223x310px
Say I play pic related and pull all seven counters, creating seven 0/0s which then die. Is there any time between them popping and dying in which I can sac them or whatever? I know living weapons create a 0/0 and attach before it dies, but it that only because the cards are written that way?
>>
>>50186673
0 toughness creatures die as a state-based action, which is checked between each resolved effect. It cannot be responded to.

Living weapon germs don't die because a single effect creates and equips, so at no point between creation and equipment is state checked.
>>
>>50186673
If you had something to boost their toughness on the board you could, since the destroy is a trigger you can respond to. You can't respond to SBA of having 0 toughness though.
>>
>>50186766
Thanks Anon! I'll know how to play someday
>>
>>50185351
>opal palace
>all cards that involve "whenever your opponent loses life, do X"
>Also every grave pact known to mankind
>some walls
all hail trump
>>
File: 1420453863-0.jpg (42KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
1420453863-0.jpg
42KB, 600x450px
Just had this happen on MTGO
>Playing Isamru (Creatureless Voltron) vs Thassa in 1v1 (not French)
>Thassa plays Island
>Play Plains, Isamru
>Thassa plays Island
>Plains, Flickering Ward
>Counterspell
>OK, play Hyena Umbra, swing, 3 Commander Damage
>Thassa plays Island, Thassa
>Play Plains, O-Naginata, equip, swing, 9 Commander Damage
>Thassa Scry to bottom, plays Island
>Play Ancient Tomb, Angelic Grace off Tomb leaving 1 Plains up
>Rewind
>Play Manatithe, counter Rewind, swing, 19 Commander Damage
>Thassa Scry to top, plays Strip Mine, Bribery
>OK
>"You have no creatures for a blocker"
>"Nope"
>Swing for win, gg
>mfw when he scryed Bribery to top against my creatureless deck after I countered a mono-blue player and killed him with an angelic Isamru
>>
>>50186333
Play it with no upgrades and let us know how the deck feels.
>>
Anyone try Vorinclex as a commander? I'm looking to build a mid-power level deck, and I think a basic ramp shell where you pop Vorinclex as early as possible could be good, but the rest of the deck feels a little iffy.

I also have a lot of jank lying around, so the deck is doing this weird thing where you blow up people's artifacts/enchantments, throw in some dedicated flying hate, and slug it out with a bunch of stompy mid-range things on a nice curve. Any fatties I should keep in mind? I have a good chunk of hydras, so card draw or +1/+1 synergy would be a bonus.
>>
>>50186673
No but if you just have an anthem effect they still live. Or even just leyline of vitality
>>
>>50185351
>Not wall tribal
>>
>>50187037
Too late. :(

Ill be going to my LGS tomorrow to play Atraxa. I had preemptive plans for this deck.
>>
>>50187108
Vorinclex is a little awkward as a commander since you want to ramp him out and then he mostly just provides more ramp himself.
He's much better as part of the 99 in Azusa or Omnath
>>
File: hindering-light-cropped.jpg (130KB, 464x664px) Image search: [Google]
hindering-light-cropped.jpg
130KB, 464x664px
why do i see this card so rarely? it's one of the best counterspells i know
>>
>>50187448
This, and he tends to draw a lot of hate from what I've seen, like most Praetors that aren't Urabrask.
>>
>>50187507
Because unconditional counters>Conditional counters.
And there's not a lack of unconditional counters when you have the entire mtg collection to use
>>
>>50185664
What are your costs for a single card alter?
>>
>>50187507
Because counterspells are at their best in EDH when stopping combos, and most combos don't cast a spell that targets you.
>>
>>50187526
>>50187448
Well, that sucks. I was mostly interested in soft-locking people as soon as he comes out so I can out value-machine them, but that`s reasonable criticism. He does seem much better in a kruphix deck.
>>
So how much money on average do you generally spend on commander specifically, as in not assembled from shit you have around, when building a single deck?
>>
>>50187663
Depends on many different factors.

That being said, I build decks with what I have lying around, and buy things to supplement them. All in all, I spend about $50 a month on commander, and I buy a fatpack of every set just for shits and giggles. I'd spend more if I could, mostly on lands, but I make due with what I have.
>>
>>50186333
>buying precons
>>
>>50187718
Every precon apart from this year's batch has been more than worth the money. Don't hate the player, hate the game.
>>
>>50187663
Like, $100-150 on each deck?
I never buy any power-cards.
Most expensive thing I've bought so far was Sheoldred.
And even then I only bought the cheaper, pre-release version.
>>
>>50187624
oh hey sorry about that, was busy. Depends on the difficulty of the card, between 25-35 Generally.
>>
>>50180043
>Are there enough ways to get rats on the board though?
Used to be Lab Rats, and Memory Crystal, Jet Medallion etc to make it worthwhile. Black Market and Altar of Shadow because Marrow-Gnawer kills rats.

But now there's Pack Rat.
>>
>>50186494
>These decks
Can I play against you?
>>
>>50180260
You don't get it man. You use Opalescence to animate it and beat your opponent to death.
>>
>>50186353
>Cards 197
>Lands (8)
You might as well just ask us to build your deck from scratch
>>
>>50183387
Mycoloth, Hardened Scales, Viral Drake, Deranged Hermit, Ant Queen, Night Soil, Avenger of Zendikar, Craterhoof Behemoth, Tooth and Nail, Wood Elves, Deadeye Navigator, Palinchron, Blue Sun's Zenith, Breeding Pool, Ulvenwald Tracker
>>
I'm looking for quality card draw in the form of black/green permanents.

Preferably on a budget (so no Consecrated Sphinx)

Suggestions?
>>
>>50187663
Nothing until I find out if it's something I want to play repeatedly.
10-20$ if I'm fond of the deck
Most i've ever spent on a deck is probably around $60
>>
>>50188304
greater good best green draw in game.
>>
>>50187663
I usually have most of the stuff I want lying around.

So I rarely order, but when I do it's usually $100-200 cards.
>>
>>50180244
Sounds rad, got a list?
>>
File: 1476816802363.jpg (112KB, 965x711px) Image search: [Google]
1476816802363.jpg
112KB, 965x711px
>>50180166
>Recently played a game with Endrek Sahr where I had gravepact, ophiomancer and an alter on the battlefield

The tears were delicious, 3 out of 4 of the other players were playing creature heavy decks and the control guy wasn't drawing lands so it was a pretty concise victory for my man Ed
>>
>>50187507
Two reasons, when you want to stop someone, you really want hard counters, because they are reliable, since you know that they will always stop the threat no matter what they are.
And when you don't want to be stopped, hard counters with no mana cost like FoW, and Pact of Negation can make the difference between combo and win, or lose waiting to get enough mana to get the combo off with a counter back up.
>>
File: 143.jpg (65KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
143.jpg
65KB, 312x445px
>>50188304
I'm awfully fond of this dude.
>>
File: IMG_7572_zps533806f4.jpg (156KB, 450x600px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7572_zps533806f4.jpg
156KB, 450x600px
>>50185820
Because it's millions of times easier to just add some vague colors and textures to the sides of the card rather than add in actual details to the card.
>>
File: download.jpg (9KB, 275x183px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
9KB, 275x183px
Bring me aggresively costed efficient creatures (like deathrite or grim flayer) in jund or grixis colours NOW
>>
>>50188501
>smear it with acetone
>randomly draw lines with ink
Extended border actually requires more detailed work, since you need to match the exact same color and style, or else it looks off(like most of them do).
>>
File: Animar Foiled.jpg (4MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
Animar Foiled.jpg
4MB, 5312x2988px
>>50187951
No problem, just come to Norway.
>>
I want to build 4c Fag Kings, what are some good reasonably priced options to upgrade the precons? I like the whole prison/pillowfort + grouphug theme with a couple of stronk creatures and single card wincons like that one mill rock that they include in the deck. MTGgoldfish posted a $20 upgrade guide for the deck, but the manabase still looks like shit and they took out a bunch of fun cards to make it into a boring ass tokens deck. I want to play politics dammit!
>>
File: mustache-jameson.jpg (43KB, 500x200px) Image search: [Google]
mustache-jameson.jpg
43KB, 500x200px
>>50188531
Dammit Jameson! How hard is it to post cheap value creatures?!
>>
>>50188531
Scavenging Ooze
Experiment One
Goblin Sharpshooter
Duskwatch Recruiter
Catacomb Sifter
Matter Reshaper

Cards like this? You haven't really specified what CMC etc you want them at.

Do cards like Eternal Witness count?
Sakura-Tribe Elder
Yavimaya Elder
Reclamation Sage
Caustic Caterpillar
Viscera Seer
Apprentice Necromancer
Carrion Feeder
Fierce Empath
Fleshbag Marauder
Glissa
>>
>>50188691
>smear matching paint onto the border

Look I can simplify the alerted art process too! You're missing the point. Extended art still looks fundamentally retarded when they're just removing the border unless you have an entire deck of extended art cards.
>>
>>50187108
Things like that are risky since all of the Praetors are huge targets for removal. Better to have him in a deck with many threats, than him being the main threat.
>>
>>50189066
>smear matching paint onto the border
Still harder than smearing acetone. You simply don't know what is actually easier, just because you think it looks better, it doesn't mean it's hard. Look at that Abrupt Decay, there is barely any work of precision or places where he could fuck up.
Also, I don't even think that abrupt decay looks good, the artist overdid it with the letters, and the foil behind is the opposite of something decayed, it looks like it is shining new.
>>
>>50189085
What kind of logic is this. If he chose any halfway decent green commander, that commander would be a threat and therefore a removal target. It doesn't matter whether it's Vorinclex or Yisan or Azusa or Omnath even down to the shit ones that focus on syenrgy with the commander like Sachi or something. I really don't understand this criticism or the point of it. It's not like playing Vorinclex as his commander means he's going to be literally zero other creatures in a green deck that are threatening.
>>
File: serpent2.jpg (950KB, 1132x1602px) Image search: [Google]
serpent2.jpg
950KB, 1132x1602px
https://picarto.tv/BobDirt
streaming.
>>
>>50188318
bait

>>50187663
Most of mine are around 500-800, Monocolour decks that I have are like 200~
>>
>>50178926

Never noticed the art on treacherous urge

That's badass
>>
>>50187663
depends but on average each deck starts at around 200-300 bucks and slowly gets upgraded over time depending on my much i like it
>>
>>50188915
yeah i hated how that whole article was. "eeeeeeh i dont like hug decks or politics i like to win for myself. i like getting more things for myself than my opponents and bring more attention to myself as a threat, so im going to remove allllll the fun hug staples and put in all the forced combat with more pillows for my fort."

anyway heres a list of hug staples
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/list-of-edh-group-hug-cards/
>>
>>50187663
I usually start with what I have lying around to see if I like the concept, then I pick up the wish-list of what I want in there. That being said, my most expensive deck is only $250 and I probably only picked up $75-ish of it through purchases. The rest was trading in the local group or what I happened to have on hand. The rest of my decks end up between 100-200 except a $25 pauper deck that I built from stuff I had on hand.

$50-75 is probably my average of cash money spent on a deck.
>>
>>50189553
yeah, I feel like if you're gonna write an article like that, you should at least try to do it from the perspective of someone who likes the idea of a base deck, and not just gut the thing entirely.

thanks for the link btw.
>>
>>50189195
not the other guy but i think just the fourth wall was meant to look decayed while the shiny part is just the background, not the card as a whole.
>>
>>50187718
why is buying a precon bad? the precons are directly responsible for me even playing EDH and flood the market with staples which keep the costs low

there is literally 0 down side to precons, stop being contrarian
>>
>>50188779
Looks like you need more draw.
I feel like you go hellbent a lot. Do you?
Recycle is a card I like in Animar, although it's a dangerous game to play if you don't have a way to remove it.
Mystic Remora and Rhystic Study work as well, but they aren't creatures.
Magus of the Future is particularly if you strong in animar if you can handle triple blue--especially with oracle in the deck.
>>
>>50189629
I know that the shiny part wasn't supposed to be there, but it is there.
It could have looked tons better if he removed part of the foil and drew some moss on it, this way the foil would complement the still metallic part of Nivix Cyclops.
>>
so will next year have 5 color commanders or will they start putting out multi color numbered commanders?
>>
>>50190329
I thought we still needed allied colors. Is that incorrect?
>>
>>50190329
The thought of 5c precons is terrifying given the manabases in the 4c ones. Hopefully they'll do allied colors.
>>
>>50190329
They haven't done ally colors yet, which is more likely than 5. Five 5 color decks is the least likely thing I can think of them doing.

They could just forget about cycles completely which would be best, so they can take more care in designing the individual decks and cards. That would be the best solution.
>>
>>50190355
>>50190366
>>50190399
chances of a colorless precon?
>>
>>50190329
They'll probably do ally pairs. Maybe after that do a year with only two, one 5 color and one colorless.
>>
Do you think its possible that Balance could be unbanned in Multiplayer Commander with it now being unbanned in 1v1 Commander?

Balance doesnt have the same abuse of "Symmetrical Effects" that cards like Upheaval has. Its not an instant, and it certainly is a card used to stop others from going off, rather than helping you go off.
>>
>>50190443
It shouldn't be banned, but it won't be unbanned
>>
>>50190412
Same as 5c, if they stop doing cycles you will see one
>>
>>50190412
>>50190329
I'm predicting C18 will be a colorless and a 5 color.

>>50190443
Too "unfun"
>>
>>50190329
More of the Tarkir Khan colors.

I want more Sultai commanders that isn't Leovold or Sidisi.
>>
>>50190537
There's also Tasigur and The Mimeoplasm

I'd be more interested in getting more Jeskai commanders, those are pretty lacking, Narset being stupid aside.
>>
>>50190537
The Wedges certainly need more options

Jeskai is pretty fucked...You either build Narset Voltron/Good Stuff or Zedhruu. MAYBE you build some fun Su Yun deck.

We need more American Commanders.

Id love a UWR Angel Lord
>>
>>50190528
I think they might go with something really interesting for C18
That is: Hybrid mana
Think Reaper King-type stuff for one deck
Another deck has "if you paid blue, when X enters the battlefield..." etc for all the colors
Another deck is probably actually colorless
Maybe one is like the Khans commanders with a 3-color ability but dual-colored casting cost or possibly more like the ally commander with monocolor cost and 5c ability
Perhaps the last commander will be an enchantment
>>
>>50190586
>Jeskai
>not playing ruhan the most american commander

trump is disappointed in you
>>
File: noticia_150920_img1_bptravolta.jpg (35KB, 600x363px) Image search: [Google]
noticia_150920_img1_bptravolta.jpg
35KB, 600x363px
So I'm making a Crosis The Purger deck. I already have a small discard suite for the subtheme, along with Uncle Nicky Bolas (walker) himself, but I dont know what to flesh out the deck with.
I just realized this deck doesnt have a way to win the game.
What are good Grixis wincons?
>>
>>50190622
I need an American Angel to make Ivanka tokens
>>
my friend hates elves, what commander do i play in an elf tribal deck?
>>
>>50190664
Ezuri. Easy.
>>
File: ELVES.png (75KB, 500x255px) Image search: [Google]
ELVES.png
75KB, 500x255px
>>50190664
J-John?
>>
File: 1475067857387.jpg (18KB, 480x442px) Image search: [Google]
1475067857387.jpg
18KB, 480x442px
>>50186952
Are you actually proud of killing someone in 1v1 with voltron?

Utterly pathetic
>>
>>50190688
fuck you mike, elfs are cool
>>
File: Mrs Jackson if you're Nathty.png (135KB, 223x311px) Image search: [Google]
Mrs Jackson if you're Nathty.png
135KB, 223x311px
>>50190664
Nath of the Gilt-Leaf

What's worse than elves? Elves with stax and random discard. I used to run an Ezuri deck, but it was really boring after a while. Nath is a tin of fun.
>>
what do you think of having a single counter in the 99? it's Counterspell by the way going in Ogre Wizard. my plan is to never use it except to stop a wincon
>>
>>50190664
Rhys the Redeemed, see how many elves you can make before he has a stroke from pure rage.
>>
>>50190648
pls help
>>
>>50190810
Thats fine. Thats what most decks that have access to blue do. >>50190835
>>
>>50178966
As someone who has played Jarad for a long time, none. Self mill is not a good idea as grave-hate will fuck you over. Instead rely on creatures that sac themselves for value (Sakura Tribe-Elder, Yavimaya Elder). If you want to be casual, Deadbridge Chant is ok but not drawing is not what you want to be doing. This is coming from the perspective of a competitive player who is the resident Daretti fag here . Just remember that no matter what your deck is doing, it's not worth going all-in for
>>
>>50190835

>Opponent playing Rhys
>Playing Geth (killspells.dec)
>Laugh as I make my own elf deck

I got focused so hard by everyone after that. But elf dude lost everything.
>>
>>50191005
Thanks for the advice. In a deck like you describe how often did you use Jarad's activated ability, if at all?
>>
>>50191131
Not too often, but often enough. It's best used for just flinging shit during combat as it's about to die. Jarad+ability is mana-intensive and it's often best just to cast shit without flinging. Rogue's Passage is good though, focus more on Jarad being a beater in a BG midrange-ish deck than a straight up graveyard commander.
I can make up a list later if you want of what I played/what I would change it into. He's not very expensive to build well, though Lord of Extinction is basically a must.
Considering rebuilding him, he was my second commander and he was great.
>>
>>50190810
Use arcane denial instead, so that way there are still times you want to cascade into it to draw 3 cards.

Assuming you don't feel up to the challenge of the triple blue in cryptic command, since that always feels good to cast, even with cascade.
>>
File: 39066_200w.jpg (27KB, 200x285px) Image search: [Google]
39066_200w.jpg
27KB, 200x285px
Which commander is the most /m/?
>>
Anyone else here have really GOOD playgroups?

My main LGS scene gives me pretty much everything I could ever hope for:
>Powerful, resilient decks capable of fast combo/hard lock, but not so oppressive that worse decks don't stand a chance
>Player skill relatively high, but without elitism
>No constant bitching about combos, MLD, stax
>People have social lives outside of MTG, generally normal, good hygiene, etc.

There are a few exceptions, but they don't show up as often. I'm also getting into the EDH scene at my new uni (transfer) and it seems to be more of the same. Feels good
>>
>>50191200
I would really appreciate that if you would, thank you. I have a ton of B/G staples laying around, but I could never decide which direction to take Jarad in, and it always ended up feeling clunky and disjointed. I look forward to seeing your list, whenever you have time.
>>
>>50191267
Mystic Confluence is easier to cast, is better in plenty of situations, and is less than half the price
>>
>>50191366
(of cryptic command, arcane denial is a good one too)
>>
>>50191336
Alot of my friends play EDH, so there's a bunch of mingling between them on game nights.

Overall, they are pretty casual besides me and a few others, but games still turn out pretty fun so I can't complain. I wish things were a bit more competitive, but after being with some really shitty groups (super oppressive "combo or die" that's filled with elitists and turbo neckbeards kinda bad) between two different LGS, I'm really thankful for them.
>>
>>50191366
Took me a second to realize when you meant price you didn't mean casting cost. My favorite mode for cryptic (and one angry ogre would benefit from) is tapping down all of all your opponents creatures. You get some hard fucking swings for the win then.

(Yes, I like to run cryptic command for its aggro potential. Turning guys sideways 4lyfe)
>>
>>50191499
True that. I think it's the worst mode overall but it's also the one that has the most potential for big swings in a game.

I still think Angry Ogre likes Confluence more, though. Easier on the mana and cascades into more things
>>
File: Bosh.jpg (18KB, 200x284px) Image search: [Google]
Bosh.jpg
18KB, 200x284px
>>50191292
>>
File: Oppression_US.jpg (55KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
Oppression_US.jpg
55KB, 312x445px
Characters you wish had a legendary card

Gix was the best praetor
>>
File: 82.jpg (43KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
82.jpg
43KB, 312x445px
>>50191945

I was fuckin pumped for the Cozen to be the maze runner for Orzhov. And as much as I love me some Teysa I was majorly disappointed.
>>
>>50191958
Is there more depicting cozen?
>>
>>50191945
Yawgmoth
Urza (but of course he will be obviously a walker first)
Ashnod
Tawnos
Tocasia
Leshrac (another walker most likely)
>>
File: ExecutionersSwing.jpg (30KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
ExecutionersSwing.jpg
30KB, 223x310px
>>50191975
Off the top of my head.

He wasn't in much. But more than Teysa was.
>>
File: Form of the Dragon_DRG.jpg (63KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
Form of the Dragon_DRG.jpg
63KB, 312x445px
Alright, I've posted about this deck before, and it's a bit of a gag deck to be honest, but I figure I might as well ask: If you ended up playing EDH with me and I asked if you were cool with me using pic related as my commander, would you let it fly?

Here's the deck for refence
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/i-want-to-be-a-dragon/
>>
>>50192230

Yes I'd allow it

Seems cool
>>
>>50192230
Question,do you have a mono red legendary you would use in place of it if someone doesn't want to play against "form of the dragon" edh?
>>
>>50192278
Yeah, Zirilan.
>>
File: mfffhghhjlp.jpg (51KB, 568x562px) Image search: [Google]
mfffhghhjlp.jpg
51KB, 568x562px
>>50192316
Then yes, absolutely would give it a shot for fun. But honestly, try to stick to the legendary creatures. I'm hesitant to allow the local "that guy" run withengar or ormendahl as general. I've seen someone run the legendary 5 color "genju" enchantment, it's just meh in my opinion. I'd run pestilence as my commander in a heartbeat if I could.
>>
File: anotherdragon2.jpg (47KB, 328x320px) Image search: [Google]
anotherdragon2.jpg
47KB, 328x320px
>>50192359
I don't usually build silly shit like that, but it's a gag deck I came up with a while back that I was considering building since it's pretty cheap compared to my average deck budget. It's really more of a just for fun thing, my decks are usually pretty straight-forward.
>>
So what are this years premade decks.

I know they are 4 color but i have no idea what they do
>>
I have a huge fucking box of commons I don't want to sort. Maybe I should just sell it as a sealed lot for a few bucks and get it out of my hair. What do you think, do people buy commons for any reason on ebay?
>>
So what are some sweet ideas for Breya?
>>
>>50191348
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/make-jamal-great-again/
Haven't quite cut down to 99+1 cards but something along these lines.
This is a fairly expensive version but a lot of it can be cut/changed. The cards that I think are essential however are:
Lord of Extinction
Pod
all the guys that sac themselves for value
Creeping Corrosion
Necro/Arena/(Tutelage (?))
Survival of the Fittest
Dosan
Witness
Jarad's Orders
Greaves/Boots/Cloak/Passage
There's a lot you can do with Jarad. He isn't really a build-around-me commander like some other commanders, and is instead a beatdown machine with one-shot potential from multiple fronts (commander, infect, flinging something big).
Something you might do often is tutor Varolz+shadow/dreadnought for quick kills. Sheoldred and Vorinclex also run away with the game.
There's not much graveyard recursion because, as I said, relying on it will get you blown out by RiP and other good cards. Dredge will often cost you a draw as well as maybe 1-2 vital cards.
Deadbridge chant is mostly a casul card, I've never gotten that much value off it.
If I were to cut cards I would probably start with 1-2 mana dorks if you play 4p ffa, as they die to a stiff breeze.
If you have more questions fire away.
One of my favourite kills was Varolzing counters onto Hydra Omnivore, giving it infect and one shotting the table
>>
>>50192802
my friend did to start his collection. the best use of commons is starting friends/family for free
>>
>>50192802
Take it to a game store after school ends and find some kids. They'll fork out anything on them for a huge box of commons.
>>
Commander 2016 hype?

Bought stalwart unity, breed lethality and invent superiority today, two other people bought breed lethality and invent superiority too, gonna play stalwart unity against them next thursday.

Any of you guys planning on buying one as well?
>>
>>50193320
I did but budget shortage. I'll probably pick up just Yidris the card, maybe Thrasios+Kydele for the UG partner jank I had in mind.
>>
>>50193320
Invent Superiority is for sure, but Breed Lethality is going to be singles for me.
>>
>>50191945
Runo Stromkirk

Urza

Yawgmoth

The other five thanes of steel.
>>
>>50193320
>Commander 2016 hype?
Not even slightly.
Might grab a few practical singles, but fuck the rest.
>>
>>50193356
If we ever go back a third time to Inn I want an Anje Falkenrath card. Some shamanic vampire shit.
>>
>>50193369
Forgot about Anje, she would be awesome too. I just hope if it happens she won't be another Ulrich..
>>
>>50187663
usually +$1000s but ill build them over a few months, i go all out because its really my only money sink(no car, tv, rent is cheap) and i already have all the 40k minis i need. i dont usually like foils but i like promos and original prints and those tend to be expensive. i do have a few cheap decks tho because the cards are shit

Ramirez pirates ~$60
mogis group hug ~$80 if that
lin sivvy rebel tribal ~$140

ive also been playing magic since forever so i dont need to drop 5k on duels for atogatog or slivers(i like 5 and 4 color decks super hyped about commander 2016 decks)
>>
>>50187663
I usually build a budget version of the deck first, so I don't spend much more than $100 on a deck. If I really like the deck, I spend more gradually, the only one I spent quite a sum of money was Kaalia deck.
>>
>>50187663
I try to build first something with the jank I have already or cards I hoarded from other people's leftovers. After that if I like the strategy I'll buy more stuff (but never something over $7-9). I do have some lucky strikes with cards though, I bought my Animar before tiny shits rose up for example.
>>
>>50187663
150-200 euro. I have many staples already (all duals of all kinds, tutors, vintage-level cards) so it doesn't cost me that much to build the rest.
Well it does, but I build new decks very infrequently and it takes me a long time to find out what I like and want to build.
>>
File: frenziedfugue.jpg (52KB, 265x370px) Image search: [Google]
frenziedfugue.jpg
52KB, 265x370px
>>50193361
Yeah really I am interested in a few singles. I also really want a Boompile as a hopefully quicker NDisk.
>>
>>50180260
relentless rats.
>>
Hey guys, which two of the new precons are best for 1v1 games? We might use them occasionally for bigger groups, but will mostly play one on one
>>
>>50193685
Breya/Atraxa
>>
>>50192802
could make pauper decks
>>
>>50193685
Breya, Atraxa and Gaymen are considered the decks that have the highest value between the 5. And gaymen is a gay hug deck, so it's not very useful in a 1v1.
>>
I wish I could play animar in Atraxa.
>>
>>50192802
PLAY PAUPER EDH
Have fun with otherwise trash cards!
>>
>>50194014
>Pauper EDH
>only one general in wedge colors
>overcosted staples that were printed 2 decades ago
>no boardwipes whatsoever
>almost no wincons beside creature combat
>in a multiplayer format

Nah I'm fine.
>>
File: mayor batman.png (583KB, 847x451px) Image search: [Google]
mayor batman.png
583KB, 847x451px
>Play Tamiyo, Field Researcher
>Drop Deepglow Skate
>Omniscience for days

so this is how it feels to chew five gum
>>
>>50194168
>>no boardwipes whatsoever
>>almost no wincons beside creature combat
But these are wrong, there are some boardwipes and you can win through spellslinging or mill (ultra-viable since there's no shuffle effects). I don't know about wedge color though, I though there was at least some sort of battlemage on those colors.
>>
>>50188779
TROMS
R
O
M
S
>>
>>50194168
pauper edh doesn't use legendaries, it uses an uncommon as its commander.
>>
>>50194213
I know. There is only one.
>>
>>50191945
Ludevic
>>
When do lgs usually put out those new commander products? I was gonna go check around lunchtime.
>>
File: Ludevic, Necro-Alchemist_C16.jpg (35KB, 223x311px) Image search: [Google]
Ludevic, Necro-Alchemist_C16.jpg
35KB, 223x311px
>>50194942
>>
>>50194993
what's this blank post supposed to be? I don't see anything here. Certainly not a poorly thought out last minute failed attempt at fan service.
>>
>>50194993
Oh look, a generic Izzet mage

Not sure what that has to do with my post, though.
>>
>>50195095
It doesn't even feel Izzet to me. I suppose it's TECHNICALLY in color, but it sure as hell doesn't feel like it.
>>
>>50195169
It's more Izzet than "Necro-Alchemist" that's for sure.
>>
>>50184174
Nahiri mono white
>>
>>50195191
I'd agree with that I suppose. Ludevic shouldn't have been only two colors, and certainly not Izzet. He's the strongest contender for Non-white 4 color if there ever was one. Carelessly using science to reanimate life and stitch his creations together, that's all four colors clear as day.
>>
>>50191945
Colfenor or Jack
>>
File: woodie.jpg (28KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
woodie.jpg
28KB, 223x310px
>>50195236
imo he should've been grixis with a strong chaos/hug/political element, like this (disregard actual power curve, just an example)

Tap, Pay 1RB - You may return target creature card from a graveyard to the battlefield, then target opponent may return target creature card of his or her choice from a graveyard to the battlefield.

you could use that in a ton of different ways, it would be on theme (ludevic is good at reviving stuff but hes nuts), and it would be, dare i say, fun to play
>>
>>50195029
>>50195095
>complaining about Ludevic
He is good at least, I wished for a legendary werewolf and look what I got.
>>
>>50195437
Other than power curve stuff there is one more change I would make there to make it feel more red.
>You may return target creature card from a graveyard to the battlefield, then target opponent may return target creature card chosen at random from a graveyard to the battlefield.
>>
>>50195551
He is literally worse in every way than kami of the crescent moon.

If they were doing group hug they could have done something like this >>50195437
>>50195580
>>
>>50195551
>He's good at least
In what fucking universe is a 1/4 Howling Mine that doesn't always work "good"
>>
>>50195594
>worse in every way
>2 colors
>partner
>>
>>50190722
Mono-white with style? Yep.
>>
>>50195622
>2 colors
Access to red mana isn't much of a boon for a blue card. You also could just play Jori En instead, because she can draw you cards in a U/R deck more reliably than Ludevic can, without ALSO drawing cards for your opponents.

And Partner is a downside. Literally, the design team said that Partners are intentionally weaker than a full Commander because you can have two of them.
>>
>>50195618
Differently from Howling Mine, it encourages your opponents to kill themselves. Also, he has partner.

>>50195656
>partner is a downside
No it isn't. It is like saying that hexproof is a downside because the creature will cost more because of it.
>>
>>50195703
It is literally a downside.

It is a mechanic which, by fucking design, means that the individual card is weaker than similarly-costed Legendary creatures, because you can pair it with something else.

If we're discussing Ludevic, on his own, Partner is not a boon. And "It encourages your opponents to kill themselves"? Not really, no. It might take a small amount of pressure off of you, but generally speaking you don't want to be feeding MORE cards to your opponents. Especially when there's nothing stopping them from just cracking a single fetchland and then going ham on your face, or pinging a mutual opponent for 1 and still wrecking you.
>>
Whoever makes the new thread, please link it in the old thread.

>>50195334
>>50195334
>>
>>50195724
Partner is fun. Ludevic is shit.
>>
>>50195822
I actually don't dislike Partner that much. I dislike a lot of the ones we GOT, but I don't dislike it as a concept.

I'm just saying that power-level wise, it is explicitly said that Partner commanders are weaker than non Partner ones, because you get two. Saying "It has Partner" is not an upside to a card's power, it's saying "It's half as strong as it would be normally".
>>
>>50195837
Well, creatures with double-strike are usually much weaker than nonDouble-strike creatures, but it doesn't stop double-strike creatures being good.
>>
>>50195867
No, they aren't. Doublestrike is a good thing that makes them cost more than similarly-sized creatures, or be smaller than similarly costed ones, because of the boon it grants.

Partner, in a vacuum, means the card is inherently weaker because it was DESIGNED to be. On its own, it has absolutely fucking zero upside, unlike Double Strike, because the 'upside' of Partner is that you can select a second card as a Commander. When you're evaluating one card, by itself, in a vacuum, Partner means the card is weaker.
>>
>>50195551
Just be glad you didn't want spiders.
>>
So I opened Depala and Skysovereign in a Kaladesh draft the other night, and I want to build the deck.

Apart from all the vehicles, all the dwarfs, land and mana rocks, is there any spicy tech or boros goodstuff that i should acquire before Aether Revolt is released?
>>
>>50190443
I just want them to unban Marath in 1v1. Stupidest, most uncalled for ban ever.
>>
File: 1432158539320.png (350KB, 1342x835px) Image search: [Google]
1432158539320.png
350KB, 1342x835px
>>50189694
>precons
>"staples"

Cards that go in every Tier 1/Tier 2 deck that are in precons:
- Sol Ring
- Command Tower
- ???

Cards that go in every Tier 1/Tier 2 deck that aren't in precons:
- Mana Crypt, Vault
- Demonic, Grim, Vampiric, Imperial
- Force, Mana Drain, Pact of Negation

Boy, I'm sure glad I can purchase yet another $35 Sol Ring and a bunch of casual shitcards this year again! Thanks Maro! Hasn't even been a Legacy staple in one of these for three years, I'm enjoying the increased availability! Wow!
Thread posts: 332
Thread images: 72

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.