[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Fate Core

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: sleeping king.jpg (106KB, 1024x512px) Image search: [Google]
sleeping king.jpg
106KB, 1024x512px
Does anyone here play Fate Core?

Let me elaborate. I know that some people do, somewhere, but it's been seriously difficult figuring out whether it's a fad system or whether it's actually a good generic system.

The problem I've found is that while, as a system, it seems to generate a ton of discussion... I can't find regular session write-ups or podcasts/videos almost anywhere, save a few singular sources such as Red Dice Diaries.

For the most part, people seem to go "yeah it's amazing!" and yet all the campaigns on Obsidian Portal die out super fast or have unbelievably short transcripts. This is as compared to a "dead" system like GURPS or HERO, where the 'fanbase' seems much smaller on the surface but people ACTUALLY SEEM TO PLAY THEM.

Can someone help me out with some input, here? Does anyone have any REAL, ACTUAL long-term experience with Fate as a system that doesn't revolve around 3-session "campaigns" that die shortly thereafter?
>>
I'm running a simple game at the moment, over a couple of sessions. I've also run short campaigns in Masters of Umdaar, Venture City and the Shadows of the Century playtest. I don't have it mastered ( I only just realized you couldn't absorb a hit with more than one stress box in one exchange, which certainly changed combat resolution).

One of the reasons it might seem to lack longevity is you don't need to devote too much time to mastering the system, unlike GURPS and Hero.
>>
>>50170946
Thanks for the input. This is the other reason I am hesitant about Fate as a generic system. It seems like a lot of "ooh-ing" and "ahh-ing" as people figure out how to use it properly, resulting in a lot of meta-discussion about the philosophy of the system itself, but again... when it comes to people actually talking about stuff that happened during their sessions, the Fate communities are eerily silent comparatively speaking.

I'm not trying to make any blanket statements here, but nearly all the people I've heard who have experience with it (who aren't ALSO the developers, ahem) have experience similar to yours. That is, still 'getting their feet under the system' and 'have run a few short campaigns' kind of thing.

Not that any of that is a bad thing, mind you, but I keep hearing how brilliant it is and yet I don't want to spend all the effort to wrap my head around it if it's going to bore me after I run a couple games with it once I "get it". If that makes sense.
>>
I actually think FATE has too many rules and too much complexity for what it tries to do.

Health boxes, skill systems, stunts, all of that could be disposed of. Just make the FATE points and aspects everything and dispose of the rest. In fact at that point you'd barely even need the dice.
>>
>>50170784
>>50170946
Another reason why maybe Fate doesn't have indepth playtest reports is the settings and the game itself runs on broadstrokes... you don't need too much nitty gritty detail because you deal with things on a more abstract narrative level, rather than 3-second turns and everything goes faster as a result, for instance using abstracted Challenges to get you through procedural scenes to get to the narrative "good stuff".
>>
>>50171113
You can do that. I think the Three Rocketeers PWYW Fate World offers one way to simplify the system to Aspects-only.
>>
>>50171137
OP here, that's an interesting point. Can you talk at all about how that affects the feel of the system in play? Seems like that could produce a more 'pulpy' or 'handwavey' style of events in play.
>>
>>50170784
>Does anyone here play Fate Core?
I'd love to, but it's something I never see in the Gamefinder thread.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.