[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've been trying to put together a bit of a game centered

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: soldiers_playing_cards.jpg (2MB, 3991x3253px) Image search: [Google]
soldiers_playing_cards.jpg
2MB, 3991x3253px
I've been trying to put together a bit of a game centered on a WWII unit. Most of the game is centered on being a unit, working together, and bonding to get over stresses and shit that happens. However, I need a good way of representing combat and shooting.

What are the best ways you've seen guns and shooting represented in tabletop? I'd love to steal those mechanics.
>>
the simplest, most basic mechanic in a wargame is giving you trouble... hmmmmmm

I'll give you my method anyways. This was intended for a rainbow six sim and is CQB focused with penetration rules. The combat is geared around point blank firing but adapts to ranged combat acceptably

2d6 + firing skill - range penalty - suppression - cover - firer wounds

1-2 = miss

3-4 = 25% hit rate

5-8 = 50% hit rate

9-12 = 75% hit rate

take the weapon ROF per 3s and calculate the hits. pistol rounds are approx 1 dmg, rifles and shotguns 2, mg's and heavy rounds 3. Shotguns give an estimation based on the pellets. If you're using a slow firing weapon such as a rifle treat the it as a hit or miss proposition

men have three wound states. injured, critical, and dead. It takes a point of damage to incur each state. IE 3 pistol rounds to kill, two rifle rounds, 1 mg round. At injured, the firer has -1 aim. At critical the target has -2 aim and -1 move

Some modifiers for attacks. if the firer has not expended a move to aim it's a -2 to hit. Per increment of range it's a -1 penalty to hit (AKA 3 zones away is -3 to hit). Optics on the gun if aimed give a +x accuracy bonus at their designated range. Targets who have been fired on take a -1 stackable suppression penalty. Partial cover is -2 to hit, full cover is -4. If the firing unit chooses to control their fire to half rpm give a +2, if to 1 rpm ("sniping") give a +3

cover. Units can choose to cower instead of return fire. however if the unit returns fire when their area is being actively sprayed they are treated as if fired on in the usual manner

grenades take a move to ready another to throw

psychological states, you can deal with that. I'd say give them a morale value and when suppression/wounds hit a state combined they suffer X state.

If you want locational damage treat the different percentages as pertaining to hit locations. 25% extremities, 50% chest, 75% vulnerable organs.

cheers I just designed your game mate
>>
>>50164130
Call of the Void has some lovely shooting, we were just chatting about WWI last thread but the game represents WWII firearms far better I feel.

Come and chat with us about what you want from your system.
>>50142405
>>
>>50164474
Not working on a war game, so I don't see how that part is applicable. It's a tabletop game meant to help model things like camaraderie and losses within the group through mechanics. I've just not worked a lot with the combat part, because it's ancillary to the emotional and mental components of the character's experiences. I wanted to see other people's ways of doing combat before I got too deep into designing one myself.

Looks pretty simple and quick. I do like the way it deals with machine guns and other multiple fire weapons. It keeps the player from having to throw an entire fortune's worth of dice every time you spray some bullets out of your bullet hose. Could even deal with semi-auto weapons by letting them use either the auto and take penalties or single fire and get bonuses to aiming.

>>50164720
I'll have to look over Call of the Void again. I've been slowly making my way through the core Song of Swords PDF, but I don't have enough of a grasp of it to get more than "Huh they have space whales" out of the Call of the Void book. I'll see about popping over and chatting about what you guys do with your guns.
>>
File: GURPSWWII.jpg (153KB, 550x712px) Image search: [Google]
GURPSWWII.jpg
153KB, 550x712px
>>50164130

There is always GURPS. They have an entire WWII line.
>>
File: t2000.jpg (88KB, 480x627px) Image search: [Google]
t2000.jpg
88KB, 480x627px
>>50164130

An old school rpg, Twilight 2000 might work with some effort from the GM.
>>
>>50166490
I'll take a look, but I don't particularly like GURPS. Still, I'll try and go in with an open mind.

>>50166507
Huh, I've never heard of it, but I'll try and find it.
>>
>>50164130
hope you're still there because i've a treat for you
since you mentioned
>Most of the game is centered on being a unit, working together, and bonding to get over stresses and shit that happens
I got reminded of a few Vietnam-era games focused EXACTLY on that
http://livresdelours.blogspot.com/p/in-english.html -shell shock [FREE]
http://www.1km1kt.net/rpg/carry - carry rpg [FREE]
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/92334/Grunt--Roleplaying-in-the-Vietnam-War - GRUNT [not free, but if you look in 4plebs archives i bet youll find it]
>>
>>50167723
while we're at it, theres also super-cool The Regiment, WW2 hack of the Apocalypse World with really nifty firing and combat rules
http://mightyatom.blogspot.com/2012/11/the-regiment-alpha-21-playtest-kit.html
>>
>>50167723
>>50167763
The free ones look pretty great from the cursory glance that I've given them. I'll try giving them a deeper read to nick a bunch of ideas from them. I'm glad that I'm not the only one having this idea, though.
>>
>>50168311
if I was on my pc I'd post GRUNT since I downloaded it from a pdf sharethread once, though I'm not sure how fitting it ACTUALLY is. Anyway you're welcome, glad to have helped
>>
>>50164130
Traveller (Mongoose edition) is nice and simple, models guns very effectively, but prepare for it to be deadly. It has most of the WW2 type weapons and vehicles statted out, and its easy to stat your own to suit.

I've found WW2 RPGs are best done as one-shots because of the incredibly high mortality rate.
>>
>>50164130
Just open Twilight 2000, it has all the rules you need for running a game about military unit that bonds together, has to deal with stress and is close to the ground.
Remember to replace late 20th century weapons with period-accurate and you are done.
>>
>>50166547
>Twilight 2000
>Never heard about it

Is that even possible? And I'm asking sincerely, not to jab you or something. I mean... it's really hard to never heard about it, especially if you are using /tg/
>>
>>50172629
I haven't. I've been on /tg/ for a few years, and I've played some niche stuff, but I haven't heard of everything yet.
>>
>>50172629
I've been on here for a while and I don't recall the name. I've probably seen it before it my brain didn't record it.
>>
>>50175664
>>50175686
Well, not that far ago, there were still Twilight 2000 generals. And by not far ago I mean about half a year.
Anyway, you should dig them out when 4plebs will be up, since each thread opened with full collection of all books and materials and the system is really all you want, given the thread opening post
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.