[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Call of Cthulhu 7th Edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 6

Hi guys, has someone played or has the 7th edition of Call of Cthulhu by Chaossium? I have to take on a entire day of narrate an 3 hour CoC adventure, thrice, for an event in my city, but i wanted to test those new rules there (perfect for an extensive test) and make my mind buying the new edition. Ill try this one with their quick start rules. So it would be very nice from you if you could give impresions, tips, or anything related about playing with this edition. Also, i would want to know if it would be ok to run this with the quick start rules (remember, 3 hours max time for the adventure), I will use Lost in a Book, from the Arkham Now Sample Scenario. Thank you very much on advance.
>>
Bump X2
>>
>>50155970
Never played it but the differences to earlier edition don't seem that great. Attributes are x5 now, on a d100 scale. You have advantaged/disadvantage similar to D&D (reroll take highest/lowest). If you have run D&D before, it's a gradual change. Should be compatible with old scenarios too once you understand the changes made.

But maybe someone better informed can help you out more.
>>
File: coc field guide 07.png (2MB, 1134x1478px) Image search: [Google]
coc field guide 07.png
2MB, 1134x1478px
>>50155970
>editions
CoC is not an editions game like DnD. It remains fully compatible. You can play old materials with the new crunch and vice versa, the conversion can be done on the fly it's so simple.

The main difference is in shifting the game from a keeper vs investigators crunch (that never matched the game dynamic anyway) to a more story involved mode. But the alterations are minor and entirely optional.

The biggest change is pushing and luck spending. These are 2 simple ways to pass failed skill checks after the fact by raising the stakes. It gives players more meta power while also handing them more rope to hang their own characters with. And it connects onto the existing rules but doesn't change them around radically. If you don't want to you can simply not. But I would. It's really good!

Skills got reordered with some sense. I like it. Social skills, which are essential, are more structured. Melee combat got streamlined for narrative freedom and less pointless skill point absorption. It's just good housekeeping.

Sanity remains structurally the same but got expanded with tables of keeper options and detailed examples of sanity effects. What used to be all up to the keeper who maybe got the support of an unstructured list of outdated diagnoses now has bloomed into a functional framework of game effects that stem from san loss. It makes sanity more of a story element and less of a countdown. Sanity remains the most precious character resource along with health, and now luck has joined the countdown. But the new sanity takes that decay and fleshes it out in character terms involving character background, off screen moments, trust within the group, just all kinds of ways to make it matter in game terms and the story that creates.

I still don't like the heavy weapons and explosives, but that was never what CoC is about and the few climactic instances it comes into play can be houseruled or resolved by fiat easily.
>>
File: coc7.jpg (473KB, 1536x1152px) Image search: [Google]
coc7.jpg
473KB, 1536x1152px
>>50160258
One thing 7e has that no other edition can claim is a structure that is accessible. It is one comprehensive book, not a collection of articles authored over decades by different generations of players. The content is much the same, but it has been edited to form a single volume now.

If you're new, this is the best place to start. If you're in love with 6e, no problem. But 6e would be a bad place to start off at now. You'd learn the same game, but in a much more lessons of failure kind of way.

>>50155970
>public play
I am hosting The Haunting at a convention myself in a few weeks. Here's my plan:

Pregens! Nothing drags a 4 hour slot into a 2 hour fragment like detailed chargen with newbs. Even the new quickfire chargen where you just assign values takes too long when you have to explain what matters first. Instead present ready made characters with /maybe/ some hobby skill points left to spend. Offer some choice, i.e. have enough to select from. And maybe use pictures to help immersion.

Hit the deck running. You'll have time for 3-4 detailed scenes. If the first three work up to the action you risk not getting to it at all. And even if combat isn't as relevant in CoC as in other games, action still is. So start with a chase. Use the new chase rules or don't, but have stakes and challenges from the first moment of play. Working up to that doesn't work in a time slot game. Usually CoC wears down investigator resources over time, this will be hard to achieve that quickly. So provide pressure and tension with the story alone. And don't aim for a perfect arc, be satisfied with conveying the idea of a tension game to the players.

The Haunting offers a lot of hooks to expand on. But that is not what a convention game can be about. It needs to be distilled, not watered down. So focus the players on the story at hand: stay in a haunted house, discover its secrets, try not to die.
>>
Man, I gotta find a pdf for this. Sounds dope. Have a bump on the house.
>>
File: coc field guide 06.png (4MB, 1134x1478px) Image search: [Google]
coc field guide 06.png
4MB, 1134x1478px
>>50160685
http://www.chaosium.com/content/FreePDFs/CoC/CHA23131%20Call%20of%20Cthulhu%207th%20Edition%20Quick-Start%20Rules.pdf

http://www.chaosium.com/content/FreePDFs/CoC/Adventures/CHA23145%20-%20Alone%20Against%20the%20Flames.pdf

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgLUVc3W9U0&list=PLcXVp1GzeWlv4mU-FtOQ9gmyx-E1K7feH&index=1
>>
>>50160755
Thanks, anon, I appreciate it.
>>
File: horror thread.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
horror thread.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>
File: Cthulhu South Park.jpg (78KB, 763x429px) Image search: [Google]
Cthulhu South Park.jpg
78KB, 763x429px
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.