[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So pretty much newbie DM here. I tried DMing once before with

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 3

File: You're_not_perfect.png (406KB, 789x711px) Image search: [Google]
You're_not_perfect.png
406KB, 789x711px
So pretty much newbie DM here. I tried DMing once before with some friends, didn't really care for it or enjoy it.

Decided to give it another try with another set of friends and hope it goes better.

Could I get some advice to both help myself enjoy it more and make an enjoyable game for my players?

If it helps, the setting I'm thinking of throwing them into is they're all members of a guild that takes on various jobs (monster slaying, saving people, etc).
>>
File: 1478135593528.jpg (1MB, 1800x1322px) Image search: [Google]
1478135593528.jpg
1MB, 1800x1322px
>>50155342
your job as a DM is to make a game thats fun for you to run, and the players second, no magical realm obvious, but if you gotta make a dungeon, make the monsters one you'd want,
>sketetons?
put in skeletons
>orcs?
ORCS!
>slimes?
SLIMIEST

other than that,
>be prepared to run the game
>improv a bit, don't make everything too rigid
>make it deadly, its more fun for everyone,
>let them know it will be deadly
>>
>>50155342
>Could I get some advice to both help myself enjoy it more and make an enjoyable game for my players?
I'm going to give you some advice that I think should be given to new DMs far more often than it is:
>don't
>plan
>ANYTHING
Come up with a general outline for where you think the session should go, and just make shit up based on what the players do. You'll be amazed at how easy it is, and how much less stressful it is than trying to run things by a time table that you planned 3 weeks ago on adderall.

Other than that, just give the players what they're expecting. People don't want to be surprised, or have to adapt to the unexpected (case in point: you're playing D&D). So don't try to surprise them. Throw difficult things at them that are difficult in exactly the way they're expecting, because otherwise they'll slam their heads against a brick wall and never come close the solution that you came up with.

>>50155477 also has some solid advice. I love reptile monsters, so I use lots of dinosaurs and kobolds and lizardmen and shit in my campaigns. Just do what you like, and the players will have a good time. And if they end up not having a good time, hey, maybe on of them will want to run the next campaign!
>>
>>50155342
Some people will like it, some won't. You're most likely to get new players from MMORPG or CRPG players. You'll fail sometimes but don't let that bring you down.

Read the books, read some modules, salvage what's good, go for it. There's no 20minute wonder, read at least one dungeon master's guide, know the system well, and go for it. Read, read, read.

Adventurer's Guild is an old and worn out cliche for most of experienced players and GMs, but if you're playing with newbies it works. Especially if the players are animefags into shitty anime like Fairy Tail. If you need some plothooks, read up on the Mouse Guard RPG, the mice are basically an adventurer's guild and they deliver mail, protect caravans, patrol and roadbuild. Shit's interesting.
>>
>>50155342
Use an existing adventure at first. I advise Curse of Strahd.
>>
Always describe the A.S.S
atmosphere
sound
sight
there is nothing more boring than walking into a "tower", but walking into an old and dark tower hidden in the mountains, and inscribed with ancient runes, now that is fun.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.