[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Go or Chess?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

File: Go_board.0.jpg (50KB, 600x317px) Image search: [Google]
Go_board.0.jpg
50KB, 600x317px
Which game is better?

Most people just talk about how much more complex go is compared to chess. This is a good point, and it may mean that go is a better way to show off how smart you are. But it hardly ends the debate.

My opinion: GO IS BETTER BECAUSE EVERY MOVE MATTERS. Whereas in chess, every move matters only if you are a pro.

In chess, the game often comes down to a single critical error. As they say, "Chess is 99 percent tactics". While strategic subtleties matter for pros, for the majority of us it's just a matter of waiting for the opponent to make a tactical mistake and capitalising on it.

Tactics are still very important in go. But strategy also matters. Even as a novice, I will lose games because of my early, "big" moves as often as I lose because of specific, tactical errors. And that makes it feel much more fulfilling.

Thoughts?
>>
File: 1464929399668.jpg (50KB, 355x332px) Image search: [Google]
1464929399668.jpg
50KB, 355x332px
>a better way to show off how smart you are.
>>
>>50154877
Do you not think many human activities are, to some extend, ways to show off how smart we are?
>>
>>50154980
There's just something moderately disgusting about playing a game just to try and show off.
>>
>>50155079
I agree entirely. I live in a constant state of moderate disgust.
>>
>playing solved games

kek
>>
>>50154847
>Most people just talk about how much more complex go is compared to chess.
That's not what 'complex' means and that statement isn't true.

A game is somewhere on a scale between 'simple' and 'complex'. This is how much the player must understand to actually, functionally play the game. Chess is more complex because the player must learn what each piece does. Go only has the one mechanic, and is simpler. This is a measure of 'Complexity' and you typically want it as simple as possible.

And then a game is somewhere on a scale between 'shallow' and 'deep'. This is a little more vague, but it's basically what you think of for this kind of thing. Tic-Tac-Toe is possibly the single most shallow game that still allows choice, because there is an absolute best choice in every situation and even a complete moron will be able to see what it is. Chess has a lot of room for variance and personal style, meaning it's pretty deep, but it's still technically a solved game. Go is (currently) unsolved because it is much deeper than Chess. This is a measure of 'Depth' and you almost always want it as high as possible.

So that's why I think Go is a superior game to Chess; it's both simpler and deeper.

Also I'm pretty sure every reason you gave is true for both games.

>>50155350
The current Go machine makes statistical, educated choices, not definite options.
>>
IT'S OVER MAN! THE MACHINES HAVE WON!
>>
>>50154847
They are two very different things. Chess is a smaller scale skirmish wargame, like low-points warmhordes before it blew up. Go is a large scale WAR simulator, where you must cut off an enemy army's supply lines to "kill" them: even larger scale than Apocalypse-Tier 40k... like a small game of Civilization big.

Two completely different games.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.