[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Legend of 5 Rings: General I suppose

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: tumblr_n64yaf71DE1qbmqmro1_1280.jpg (149KB, 800x631px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n64yaf71DE1qbmqmro1_1280.jpg
149KB, 800x631px
Looking for some help with a rules question and figured it would be a good enough excuse to have a general as well.

In l5R 3rd edition if a character is trying to influence or convince another character to do some thing how does it work? Is it a contested Awareness/Etiquette roll? highest wins? Or is there a set TNtbhit the "attacker" (person making the argument) has to reach to succeed in "hitting"?
>>
>>50141189
>In l5R 3rd edition if a character is trying to influence or convince another character to do some thing how does it work?
>obligatory "playing third edition, how gauche"
I don't have that core book on hand, but have you read it yourself? In fourth, the "social attack" skills are Courtier, Intimidation, & Temptation, with Etiquette and Sincerity being "Social Defence". Third edition should be fairly similar.
>>
/l5rg/ ain't what it used to be, is it?
>>
>>50141189
How would you play a game during the whole Empire in Exile era?
>>
>>50143011
Probably go with the Onyx Empire and do some full-Shourido adventure aka classic dungeoncrawling/murderhoboing but WITH SAMURAI. Then maybe throw in some Shadow Dragon fuckery for the sake of diversity and roll with whatever the PCs make out of this.
>>
>>50143011
Thousand Years Of Darkness? Dark Lotus era? I guess you could do Onyx Empire, but Daigotsu "Master Of Jigoku" a shit.
>>
Can you play this without really knowing the norms and rules of Japanese or Asian? society and all that?
>>
>>50144339

Yes, but be careful about picking your group.

A lot of GMs are needlessly picky about it and force seppuku for not attaching the right honorary suffix at the end of a name, or for not refusing a gift before accepting it. I think these groups are shit, but they exist.

My stance is that the character would know what to do, no player is going to perfectly replicate it, and you shouldn't worry. Just assume that everyone is being as polite as they want to be. You aren't playing in Japanese (presumably) so include etiquette in your translation. Certainly follow it where you can for flavor's sake, but don't worry too much.

Game books (mostly Sword and Fan and Emerald Empire) also have long, not terribly useful digressions about etiquette and other cultural things. Often written by people with a questionable understanding about the topic at hand, but they're canon. Skim those and you'll have as much as anyone that you'd want to play with cares about.
>>
>>50144388
>You aren't playing in Japanese
I really hate it when groups get over-enthusiastic about copying Japan for L5R. Just settle down, cunt, I'm here for a fun game, not a language lesson.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.