[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Worldbuilding: Help I am not good with this edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 5

File: what-is-world-building.png (1MB, 1145x660px) Image search: [Google]
what-is-world-building.png
1MB, 1145x660px
Hello /tg/!

After much working on my RPG, I am finally ready to build a default world for them.

But I would like some opinions, injections, and things of that nature.

>The world itself

I'm going to write a multi-planet "universe" (It's really a local starsystem with about 60 or so planets of various types), that will support a large multitudes of types of games

There are technology levels spanning stone age to Plasma age, but for this excersize, I want to stick primarily with the Plasma age, which is the highest age achievable as of current.

Plasma Age has spaceships, and guns and all sorts of technology you'd primarily associate with a space faring age.

>Spaceships and movement
Space travel is primarily done through jump gates that are build around major and minor hubs, and act as highways. Larger ships can house personal hyperdrives that allow them to warp in straight lines, but with nowhere to stop for food in-between, they have to be sure not to starve to death between jumps.

And before I continue, what I basically need/want/desire is little things. Things about the Universe, specialty characters, shops, whatever, I'll continue to post what I have so far, starting with racial breakdowns.

Oh! and the system that I am building this world for is Ops and Tactics. You can google it and get the books.
>>
>>50138857

>The Apple Store
A specialty shop which sells every type of apple breed and sub-breed that they can find.
>>
>>50138857
>Races

This is the part I kinda got tripped up on

There are 3 kinds of what could be called "Humans"

>Terrans
From the planet Arche-Terra, they're the default humans in the setting.

What they're known for: Being comically diverse. If there is something that exist in the world, there is a human that absoloutely abhors it, and a human that fettishizes over it. Two humans will rarely agree on most things, and will never agree on exactly everything.

The "Preferred" weapon of the terrans is the rifle.

I don't have a makeup of Arche-terra, or a government, or states or whatever. Feel free to fill that in.

>Polarans

Polarans are a human-ish race that has accended from a singular home planet called Polaris. They are extremely resistant to cold, but falter in anything that's not cold. Due to their cold home planet, they are the pioneers of plasma technology, and the plasma fusion engine, as well as the coolant technology coupled with it. They use this technology to leave their home-planet and be useful outside of that specific temperature level.

Their prefered weapon is the plasarm.

There are two major factons to the Polarans, the Loyalist and the Purist, both claiming true heir to the Polaran throne. The loyalist are actually in power. Polaran society is organized in a large, confusing, and expansive monarchy.

Polaris is cold-very cold, has moderate vegetation, and lots of water, in the form of ice.

>>50138952
Written down. Thank you.
>>
>>50138994
>Continuation of Races

The only other two races I have even some semblance of structure are two of the 3 Dragonraces, Kobolds and Dragonbreed

>Dragonbreed

The Dragonbreed are a race of caste, where the warrior is one of, if not the most prized positions one can hold. From a young age they are taught to use their claws, their breath weapon(If they are fully dragon breed and not a hybrid), and basic weapons like sticks. Further instruction is given in the art of more sophisticated weapons such as firearms, crossbows, knives, swords, and things of that nature.

It is not just the warrior who is held in high regard, but all those that support the warrior: the trainer and tactician who guides the younger ones to the right path, the farmer who farms meat that the warriors eat, the blacksmith, the armor, and the gunsmith, who supply the weapons to make the dragonbreed more deadly in combat, and generally any position that is beneficial to the warrior is in high regard. Being a mother is also highly sought after because mothers make Dragonbreed warriors. Despite this training and focus on the warrior, the dragonbreed are generally not aggressive unless provoked. Their society is deeply authoritarian, and it has the effect of Dragonbreeds generally being rather honest(As a rule), blunt, and forward thinking.

Another thing about the dragonbreed are that they have no concept of taste, as they are carnivores and their society doesn't really put much pressure or emphasis on taste and flavor.

Kobolds in the next post.
>>
>>50139136
Oh! I don't have a world for the Draogonbreed or a makeup, but I wanted them to have a cluster of nearby homeworlds, not just a single one.

>Kobolds

The Kobolds are fluid. They engage in any other culture willingly, are transient usually in nature, and will quickly assimilate themselves into any and all societies, wherever possible. They make good scouts due to their visual and olfactory abilities(They can smell for days and can see in pretty much pure darkness).

You will always find a Kobold somewhere in the universe. You can not be guranteed to find a human, dwarf, elf, or orc, but there will always be a Kobold around.

Noone knows the homeworld of kobolds, and it's far to late to figgure out just where their original homeworld was, and due to their nature, they can be spotted in every kind of government and societal strucutre in the universe

And that's all I got so far. the races I havent' touched are below

>Humans
Kandari
>Orcs
Plains Orcs
Bayoy Orcs
Goblins
>Dragons
Sslythen
>Elves
Desert Elves
High Elves
Forest Elves

So feel free to input anything, I'm always willing to listen. I'm also going to post Modern Magika, which has most of the aforementioned Race's special abilities .
>>
Bump for help.
>>
Okay, so you've got a system with planets, various races with cultures, and method of travel.
Things you might want to try:

-Write down the name of each world with climate, atmosphere, habitability, settled/wild, governing body, primary inhabitants, tech level, and major imports/exports.

-Politics are important to a setting. You have three major factions with sub-factions on each. Make yourself a web map of political ties and social attitudes between each group, including their individual peoples. Who supports the Purist Polarans? Where are the Terrans welcome to ply their trades and where are they despised?

-Explain why tech level isn't just brought straight to the plasma level everywhere space faring society goes. Is there a "Prime Directive" of non intervention? Are the remaining primitives too hostile to elevate? Or maybe technology just doesn't work on some planets?

-Is your space travel faster than light? Either way is fine but it drastically changes the dynamic of a system if everyone is right next door to everyone else compared to there being month long travel times even within systems. Not to mention relativistic warlords eons old.

-You have plasma level technology. What does this mean for AIs? Is there a reason they don't exist like a Butlerian Jihad (Dune)? Other tech to address are internet analogues, nano-machines, and synthetic body augmentation.
>>
>>50140247
>-Write down the name of each world with climate, atmosphere, habitability, settled/wild, governing body, primary inhabitants, tech level, and major imports/exports.

Will do. This is a good start.

>-Politics are important to a setting. You have three major factions with sub-factions on each. Make yourself a web map of political ties and social attitudes between each group, including their individual peoples. Who supports the Purist Polarans? Where are the Terrans welcome to ply their trades and where are they despised?

Also good, thank you

>-Explain why tech level isn't just brought straight to the plasma level everywhere space faring society goes. Is there a "Prime Directive" of non intervention? Are the remaining primitives too hostile to elevate? Or maybe technology just doesn't work on some planets?

I've actually got abit of an answer for this one.

One of the Major Factons, the Federation of Planets, does indeed have a prime directive, but only through non-elevation and non-contact for certain levels, so as to not spoil and ruin the inhabitated planet. The other two, both companies(I still need names), simply claim them as property and they don't want you fucking with their property.

>-Is your space travel faster than light?

Yes. One LY has been shortened to about a day's worth of travel.

The entire star system is only about 100 LY From end to end

>-You have plasma level technology. What does this mean for AIs? Is there a reason they don't exist like a Butlerian Jihad (Dune)? Other tech to address are internet analogues, nano-machines, and synthetic body augmentation.

AI's exist in multiple forms, primary as a (playable) "race" call synths. But I'll look into all this. I've saved it. thanks.
>>
File: image.jpg (208KB, 1280x612px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
208KB, 1280x612px
> Multiverse is a very local star system
Good idea
> Humans "gimmick" is comical levels of diversity
Also cool

An idea that was had a couple of threads ago was that a hyper-advanced alien race put in place safeguards to prevent the creation of AI after a robot rebellion. They have since evolved to another dimension or something but the safeguards remain. AI can still be built but have to be built/contained in super sterile environments. I thought it was a neat explanation for why AI isn't everywhere or just infinitely intelligent.
>>
>>50140606
Hmn. That might clash against the explanation of Synths. I was ging to use the old "They're still restricted by size/processing power" so they can't exactly turn into a super mega computer, because the resources aren't there.
>>
File: image.jpg (431KB, 2625x1312px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
431KB, 2625x1312px
>>50140749
Ok

What kind of FTL do you have? You can think of some neat ideas for that and give different races different FTL to personalize it.
> Star Trek has the emptiness in front of the ship compress and the emptiness behind lengthen
> 40K has you go through hell
> One anime showed the crew images of the destination and told them they had arrived. Their gulability made it work.
> Doctor Who tunnels-of-fire

R8 my shitty idea
> Litwin-Blake Drive
> Litwin Drive a theoretical way of continuing to go faster then light if you are already going that fast
> well known thought experiment and useless on its own
> Blake Engine allows you to go any speed at all, for no time
> Engine works for infinity brief periods and so nothing actually moves
> A newer thought experiment
> Somone realizes both can be turned in at the same time.

ALSO
always remember to have a cassette-futurism setting. CRT monitors and Vector graphics all the way. Basically Alien or A Space Oddesy
>>
>>50141042
>What kind of FTL do you have?

Jump gates. Go through gate, you're shot at the next gate at roughly 1LY/Day. End gate slows you down, pops you out.

Each race probably won't get that too personal with it, since there's less "This race only uses this ship" kind of thing. They're not walled off. People travel, people have preferences. A dragonbreed may want a sleek looking Star-fox type ship, a goblin may want that old rounded "Future past" look.
>always remember to have a cassette-futurism setting. CRT monitors and Vector graphics all the way. Basically Alien or A Space Oddesy

Whut. Why.
>>
File: image.jpg (107KB, 1130x706px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
107KB, 1130x706px
>>50141286
I meant race instead of setting
>>
Since I assume this world is being built with intention of actually playing in it you may want to decide on some kind of metaplot that drives the call to adventure for the players. Or several little ones. Whatever justifies some kind of conflict within the setting for plays to become involved in.

Is there some treasure that is sought in ancient ruins or drifting hulls of shattered vessels? Are there mysterious artifacts from some progenitor race that upset the delicate balance of power? Is there an ancient evil spreading across the system from an uknown point of origin? Is there a doom cult rising worshiping horrific alien beings and terrorizing the relatively peaceful lives of the more developed worlds? Are there criminal organizations smuggling in and out of sovereign lands to aid a rebellion or for profit? Is there a totalitarian empire preparing for war and bullying other worlds into submission or even attacking and annexing weaker independent worlds? Are there uncharted worlds that need exploring, cataloguing, settling, and exploiting? Maybe your players are given a charter to push back a Wild West type frontier of lawless worlds and pave the way for colonies? Maybe they are part of an interracial experiment of a confederation of unified races or a nomadic ship of exiles trying to find a new home?
>>
>>50143313
Will do, Thanks!
>>
>>50140329
The other reasons for not uplifting immediately could be that 1. Using plasmatech effectively also requires a certain mindset and education-appreciating the value and costs of mass manufacturing, say, and 2.the infrastructure for plasmatech isn't self-contained-that is, it needs some lower tier stuff to replicate itself fully.

In which case it suddenly becomes a huge ongoing expense to uplift someone, as you have to work your way up from, say, steam or wind power to fusion reactors, and you can't skip any steps via importation since the primitives have to learn HOW to use it-not just which buttons to press, but how to use the tech most effectively, and do you think they'll listen to YOU about it? No, you give a feudal lord some nukes and he's liable to blow up all his neighbors and conquer the region, then wonder aloud why all the crops are dying.

Oh, also? If someone is a veteran uplifter, make sure the first invention they introduce is the printing press. Makes things SO much easier.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.