[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tips for a new DM

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

File: 1494462.jpg (271KB, 617x800px) Image search: [Google]
1494462.jpg
271KB, 617x800px
Hey, I was wondering if anyone here could give me some tips to being a good dungeon master. My friends want to try out D&D or a roleplaying game of some kind and I kind of need help. I've already tracked down the majority of rulebooks, thanks to you /tg/, and I've been browsing through them.

I'm thinking of running them through the starter dungeon for 5e to just get a feel for their play styles and to have something easy for me to DM since I've never DM properly before. I'm kind of worried since one of them insists on being a necromancer style character, and to be frank I've no damn clue how to do that besides what I've seen on google on the matter. The best thing I can think of is to start them off as a level 1 mage of some kind.

That being said, please give me some advice on dos and don'ts. I've watched a few videos, like Projared's D&D series, on Youtube and a few sessions of other people playing, but, I'm still not super comfortable yet with what to do. So please, give me any advice, recommendations, tips, and anything else you can think of. I just wanna make sure they have fun at the end of the day.

Also, does anyone here have any experience with Dungeon World? I have a friend online who's swearing by it up and down, but, I haven't really gone out of my way to research it yet, but, I thought I'd just ask here anyway. Thanks in advance.
>>
>>50134892
Do not fall for temptation of your own adventure right out of the bat. Play it safe. DM Curse of Strahd and Storm King's Thunder a couple of times. Take notes of how they are structured and what makes them work.
>>
>>50134892
If you really, really want some in depth advice that goes a lot deeper than the ProJared vids, I would highly recommend DawnForgeCast.
>>
>>50134892
Dungeon World is better reserved for when you've played a bit and accumulated a bit of D&D tropes. Not diving into specifics, it's a fun enough game but relies in improvising right off the bat, both from you and players.

Anyway, my advice would be this: remember you're in control but don't restrict players. They can and will surprise you a lot. You'll have to improvise at some point. Don't be afraid of them going off the path you've envisioned, embrace it.

Also it's perfectly okay to say no if the player does something that totally doesn't make sense to you. Group creativity is the best thing, but it's not about shitting all over your vision of the game, you're the one who'll be putting in the most work.

5e Starter Set is actually really good for new GMs and players, a satisfying guidance / freedom ratio. Go with that.

The most concise and valuable advice I can think of is here: hackslashmaster blgspt com/2012/11/on-guide-for-new-dungeon-masters.html

For more detailed advice later check out The Angry GM but he has long-ass articles and I think you'll benefit from reading any of that after running something.
>>
File: barbarians of lemuria spiel.png (96KB, 869x425px) Image search: [Google]
barbarians of lemuria spiel.png
96KB, 869x425px
>>50134892
>I'm kind of worried since one of them insists on being a necromancer style character, and to be frank I've no damn clue how to do that besides what I've seen on google on the matter.
Just politely say no. You need to learn the basics before you start trying to get fancy.
>>
Don't be afraid to say "yes" to PC plans. There is a lot of fun to be had when more people are part of the story.
>>
>>50134936
That was the plan to be honest. Even if I would like to make my own campaigns in the future I rather make sure we're all having fun and as you say understand why the work.So I'll probably end up doing those and the one mines one, the name slips me.

>>50135024
Thank you I'll look it up now, I just managed to sit down again after cooking.

>>50135280
I'll keep that in mind. I was kind of deadset on 5e since it seems really friendly to new players from what I've been told. There's only one person who has any remote experience in the group, and that was only because he sat at the table when he brother played like 15 years ago, so, basically none. I rather do something that will be easy for all of us to get into.

>>50135366
Yeah, I was texting him while I was cooking and told him I rather him be a mage for the moment just because it would let all of us get into easier. I would like to do it sometime, but, I rather have an idea of what I'm doing first like you said.

>>50135905
Oh trust me, I was going to say yes the majority of the time to what they suggested.

My biggest fear at the moment is going to be helping them with creating characters since I haven't sat down and read about that yet. This idea is in its infancy right now, but, I would like to at least try later this month with it.

Thank you everyone for the help so far, please keep them coming. Have a cute girl for repayment.
>>
Tip 1: Stop overthinking it and just fucking do it.

Tip 2: Nothing anyone tells you will matter because until you actually start PLAYING and figure out what you're capable of and what your shortcomings are, it's all theoretical bullshit and platitudes.
>>
>>50136708

This.

New DM Advice is for when you've gotten a feel for the ropes and whats involved in doing it.

The best and only way to understand the ropes, is to just do it.

If you're nervous, I say don't be, because your players want to like your game.
>>
>>50136682
One thing of advice I can give you personally is that it is better to learn from the mistakes of others rather than have to make them yourself.

One game I played in was full of learning experiences like that...
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-YZvLUXcR8&list=PLlUk42GiU2guNzWBzxn7hs8MaV7ELLCP_

Go watch this. Not all of it at once obviously, there's a lot of it, but this is good shit for new Dms.
>>
>>50136708
>>50137149
Yeah, I know there's only so much I can gain before I actually play, it's just I won't be able to do so for another week or two regardless and I rather be somewhat knowledgeable before we start on it. I don't think they're gonna be having too much fun if I have to stick my nose into a book or phone for the majority of session. I'm not expecting to play perfect and I'm sure I'll come back to ask for more help after I play. I just want a baseline you know?

>>50137225
That's why I asked to be honest. I do expect to make mistakes, but, I rather minimize it is all.

>>50137245
Thank you Anon. Don't worry, I have a week or two before we even get to play, so I'll have a while to watch and let it ingest.
>>
>>50135280
>The Angry GM

Ranting fool.

>D&D tropes

Corny bullshit.
>>
>>50137279
>Ranting fool.
If you're willing to put up with his ""style,"" I think he does have a lot of good ideas. He likes to present things as RULES, AND YOU'RE AN IDIOT IF YOU DO ANYTHING ELSE, but if you read between the lines a little, he's just giving you a barebones framework for how a game will work. as long as you don't break all of his "RULES" all the time, and you're aware of what the "RULES" are, you're probably following his advice
>>
>>50137255

I do know, but I'm just going to say that it will get a lot more clear after you've run a game or two.

Its the first game or two that is the most nerve wracking in my experience.

It's like when we've learned how to make Pancakes. How did your first pancake look? I can say mine looked like they deserved better than the fate they got- but there is no avoiding that first go around.
>>
>>50134892
don't listen to anything you hear on /tg/ and you should be good.
>>
>>50137756

This is a little too extreme. Disregard 90 percent of it (you'll know which bits to disregard, trust me) and give some consideration to the 10 percent that are actually informed people trying to be helpful rather than ignorant shit posters.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.