[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Almost out of the Underdark and here's what on the Horizon

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

I DM a D&D group for my friends and Dad, there are 3 players who each have 2 characters.

Player A has a Gnome Transmuter Tibi, who is the most badass wizard I've ever seen, and a Human (Sechian) Ranger/beast master Dragen with a wolf [Sechians are a human culture from the North, some are Viking like, some are Native American, Dragen is NA]

Player B has a half-orc assassin who's fucked up everything that's gotten in his path, and an elven warlock (fiend pact, but RPed as ancient elven hero instead of demon [works in my setting]) who also dumps out damage at incredible levels, warlocks are awesome in 5e

Player D has an Elven Cleric who is your iconinc tolkien elf, and a human fighter who's a knight of the realm (surface kingdom)

The characters were forced into the Underdark after the appearance of a massive Orc Army (orcs, goblins, hobgoblin mercs, giants, etc.).

When they resurface it will be in the nearby dwarven kingdom (Player B's half-orc has a dwarven relic adamantine longsword, non-magical, but it WILL make some interesting RP happen for sure)

They will have to convince the Dwarves to come back the Humans on the surface (who are already backed by the Elves) in this 'war' against the Orcs, but here's what I need from /tg/

What would it take for a Dwarven Kingdom, who's power comes from trade with the Humans to join this war? They are constantly under siege by forces of the Underdark and would be hesitant to send forces to the surface.

So:
-Orc Army conquering the surface
-Half-Orc wielding a Dwarven Prince's sword that's been lost for a long time
-Dwarves ~do~ have stake in the surface, but are engaged in endless wars in the Underdark (dwarven culture reflects this)
>>
notes:
-Orc Army on the surface is ~15,000 strong, has monsters (including flying ones such as Hobgoblin Manticore Knights, winged Kobolds, and a few hundred gargoyles)

-Human Kingdom is rallying all of it's forces, the Orcs raided "The Six Settlements" in the west and refugees have flooded the capital city, but their forces are still not enough to withstand a siege from such a large orc army.

-Elves WILL send forces to help, but the nearby Enclave is relatively small and mostly is offering powerful elite forces, but still a small amount (~200)

-Characters will have opportunity to save the Dwarven Prince likely next session (Dwarven Prince & 'Deep Wardens' [elite Underdark specops for the dwarves] are under attack from a large goblin warband)

So do you think just saving the Prince is enough, or should I throw in some side-quest to secure the alliance? And how should the Half-Orc wielding an Ancient Dwarven Relic go over? (dwarves do not like orcs, half-orcs are slightly more tolerable)

AND
Tips on running RP encounters involving royalty?
>>
The best argument the players can make in these circumstances IMO is that it's a choice of fighting an easier battle now or an impossible one later. If the elves and humans fail (and you know, they're not dwarves so...) then the orcs storm the surface and will ultimately come to war on the dwarves. The dwarves might be able to retreat into the underdark but the orcs will come there, too. Then they'll be besieged on both sides and although they may be mighty enough orcs will eventually overcome them.

If the player got his relic longsword from fighting with the orcs then you can seal the deal by pointing out their help would only be revenging previous attacks by the orcs, and hand over the longsword as a gift and evidence of dwarves killed by orcs.

tl;dr - I don't think the players need anything else beyond a convincing argument here, but if you want to give them a mission have the dwarves ask them to run disruption on their underdark foes to give them some breathing room.
>>
>>50129082
>Dwarves are Siege Masters and do not fear being besieged, already established lore.

>Not sure the assassin would want to give up his sword.

>not sure this group can form a convincing argument to get the Dwarves to help (they aren't strong RPers)
>>
>>50129172
>>50129082
basically I'm asking for help to cushion this game event without it being too cushioned and make them feel like they didn't have a say.

Trying to be a good DM while also sort of being a bad DM (according to my own philosophies of 'let the players do it')
>>
>>50129016
>that pic
>siege towers only a quarter the height of the wall
For what purpose?
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.