[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

One-shot adventures

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: 1468643347650.jpg (30KB, 560x373px) Image search: [Google]
1468643347650.jpg
30KB, 560x373px
How the fuck do I create good one-shots?

Especially ones that are "scenarios" that evolve in time rather than "dungeons" that evolve in space?
>>
>>50127235
start by creating an interesting premise
>>
>>50127235
Give the PCs a quest.
Improvise.
>>
>>50127235
>filename: ayy lmao taking off disguise
>>
File: 1460975446757.jpg (195KB, 1213x748px) Image search: [Google]
1460975446757.jpg
195KB, 1213x748px
>>50127235
Let's break down what makes a one-shot "good". Of course this is gonna be subjective and I expect vast amounts of disagreement.

Think about movies; cinema. Action movies in particular. They only have about an hour and a half to establish a world, present you the characters you're supposed to care about, concoct a storyline (which may or may not be weak/pointless if you came for the action), and at the end of the day making you feel good.

Let's say, for example, that you want to run a one-shot about "finding the hidden golden city of El Dorado". Follow a few pointers: little goals that you want to hit, as if they were markers. Land those markers.

>PCs set off
>They go through (wilderness/cave/water route)
>Exciting battle/conflict with a cool setpiece, leads to new "no way back" location to change things up (getting lost in reality-bending forest/giant behemoth breaks through the floor of the cave and makes PCs fall down a hundred feet/kraken doesn't let go of boat before it bleeds out, drags everyone down with it)
>Meet (tribal folk/exiled hermit/mermen society) who may be able to help them find the city
>Cool setpiece with a non-combat challenge (escape maze-like reality-bending forest with tribalmen information or juju/shamanic visions showing the path with symbolism/find the hidden Fantasy Submarine reactor, power it up)
>Find the hidden city of wonderment and adventure! But wait, a guardian! Maybe related to first encounter?
>~Fin~
>Epilogue: "Wait, how the fuck do we get back?"
>>
>>50127235
What system?
>>
>>50127510
D&D or DW
>>
>>50127235
>>50127486
This is pretty spot on, I also recommend having a few generic encounters in your notes incase you need to run a one shot on the fly or fill in down time during a campaign
>>
>>50127577
DW one-shots basically write themselves. I don't know how to help you.

Set up a scenario, put in a couple opposing NPCs on an issue, dress with some locales, and throw down some ideas in a misc section. Boom.
>>
>>50127235
Stay focused on the objective: have fun with your friends. Make something simple you can't mess up and prepare for the possibility your players might mess it up anyway. In a one-shot The variables are limited you should be able to predict most of what your players might want to do and plan accordingly.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.