[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/Pathfinder Noob general/ Advice and anecdotes welcome

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: BoxBackFinal.jpg (196KB, 1000x559px) Image search: [Google]
BoxBackFinal.jpg
196KB, 1000x559px
I have never played a RPG before

Any advice how I can go about learning this system and being GM?

I have the beginners box and the core rules arriving soon. Do I have to memorise all that shit? Its like 600 pages

How can I on-board new players?

Advice and anecdotes welcome
>>
>>50120648
Pick a game that isn't dog shit, instead.

Seriously: 3.xpf is the worst game, period. It is bad. You are bad for giving them money. Your theoretical friends are bad for agreeing to learn it.

Sometimes fun is bad and wrong, and you're investing a lot of time to try it out.
>>
>>50120648
> Do I have to memorise all that shit? Its like 600 pages

No. The important bits in the short term are:

- the combat rules (don't worry too much about grappling, nobody uses that)
- the basics for adventuring related skills - e.g. Acrobatics, dungeon-related Knowledge, etc.
- the rules for survival rolls and encumbrance, IF you are the kind of GM who wants to do old-school dungeon crawls instead of action adventure

The best rule of thumb, though, is "Yes, but" or "Yes, and". That is to say, if the PCs want to do something weird or cool that doesn't directly contradict the rules, let them do it, BUT have it result in interesting consequences.
>>
>>50120910
Thank you. This is the kind of advice I am looking for.

One thing I dont get about the combat is the move five feet thing...

Why would you move only 5 feet if you have up to 30 to use? Does moving only 5 feet give you better combat options?
>>
want to try a noob rpg game for a noob like me. is this shit really that bad?
>>
>>50121175
It is. It's a game that is a reiteration of a system that's almost 20 years old, except that new additions generally make things worse instead of improving.
You're better off looking for D&D 5e. I personally don't like it but it's very noob-friendly.
>>
>>50121122
>Why would you move only 5 feet if you have up to 30 to use? Does moving only 5 feet give you better combat options?

Five foot steps are a free action. If you move 5 feet, and only five feet, you move without using an action.
>>
>>50122337
So each turn I can only move 30 ft OR attack with a 5 foot move?
>>
>>50120822
Oh look, it's eternally triggered bitch anon
>>
>>50120910
Moar adv plz
>>
>>50122423

A 5 foot step is a swift action specifically used to prevent drawing an attack of opportunity. Doing this retains your move action, but you can't use it to move any further (you can use the move action to draw a weapon or item from a bag though) and then you still have your standard action to attack/cast/whatever.
>>
Don't. We started with it in our group, and while it... Worked, kind of, we stuck at it for several fucking years. It's like starting in a bog. If you're hellbent on going for pathfinder, have an exit strategy.
>>
>>50125166
Whats the difference between a standard attack and a full round attack? Any bonuses?
>>
>>50122423
Each round you can do one of the following:
>A Full Round Action
>A Standard Action and a Move Action
>Two Move Actions

A Five-Foot-Step is an extra action you can take to Move five feet so long as you didn't use any other actions for movement that round (as in actually moving, using your move action to do something like drink a potion is fine).
>>
>>50125551
Full Round Attack allows you to use the extra attacks you gain for having a high Base Attack Bonus. Also many combat feats can only be used during a full attack. Standard Attack only allows you to make one single attack.
>>
>>50121122
When the core rules come in, you'll learn about "attack of opportunity". Short version, a 5 foot step prevents an opponent from taking an attack of opportunity on your turn, while still being able to move and position yourself. For just the beginner box though, it's not that important, but when you get the core rules a 5 foot step is invaluable in combat when you learn about attacks of opportunity and full round attack actions.
>>
>>50120648
Always ask before buying things!

Pathfinder is NOT noob friendly. It has a focus on character building that requires a lot of research just like MTG. That can be a fun activity, but it isn't good for new players.

That being said, look up the Pathfinder Tier Lists and make sure your players pick similarly tiered classes. Read the Class Guides that people have written. That way, none of your players will build useless characters and feel shitty when they aren't having fun because they aren't helpful.
>>
File: 1474661827521.png (524KB, 928x1250px) Image search: [Google]
1474661827521.png
524KB, 928x1250px
>How can I on-board new players?

Ask them to play kitsune.
>>
>>50120822
That 3.5 Wizard had really a huge cock anon...

I am so sorry for you...
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.