[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Paladin ethics

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: 1419041510404.jpg (259KB, 615x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1419041510404.jpg
259KB, 615x1000px
Aight /tg/ im in a slight issue. Im Dming a campaign and the party is in a plagueland trying to rid it of the undead. In their efforts they came across a group of sentient undead (yes im ripping off warcraft) they are now working with. A group of paladins came to their fortress to try and rid it of the "undead taint" and so me and a player are in a disagreement over the paladins ethics. He is very traditional whilst I tend to take things more liberally. So i have to ask would a paladin generally attack the undead regardless of said undead's alignment? I should also mention that the group of paladins that attacked my party draw their power from a... less than divine source
>>
Which system are we talking about?
>>
>>50119952
This is all dependant on in-setting knowledge, in game ethics, and subjective interpretation. Also, what game system are you using? What does you GM think?
>>
well, I guess it's up to your interpretation of "paladin." if they're instruments of some divine good who essentially have no free will and can only ever resolve things 1 right way, then yeah, you've got a big moral conundrum on your hands. if they're holy warriors who follow a code, it doesn't need a "right answer," just a reasonable justification. was their order founded by some dude who had a massive beef with the concept of undead and wanted them exterminated no matter what? do they have some leniency

my inclination would be to have them extremely hostile to the undead and to try to impose some sort of strict rules or monitoring on their existence, but not outright attack them as long as they were communicating

either way, I don't know why your player is trying to tell you how to run your game. I sure hope he isn't doing it DURING the session, because that shit is boring as fuck
>>
>>50119952
Paladins are oath-takers, but they are also people.
What does their oath say about the undead? Does it say anything about sentience?
What kind of people are these paladins? What do THEY think of the undead? What do THEY think of sentience?

Also, remind your player that not all paladins are paragons of goodness. Some people are just assholes.
>>
>>50120127
Op here. Im at work so replies are scarce. Their edicts dictate that any undead must be slain outright
>>
>>50120116
No he waited until after the session to discuss it
>>
>>50120575
Well then they should do it.
>>
>>50120575
They aren't divinely powered and are sworn to a secular oath. I can see pretty reasonable doubt on part of some of their members. I would not, as a player, have a problem with the paladins demurring on the attack. Depending on their closeness to the inner hierarchy, they might even decide to keep it on the hush hush so that the higher ups, who might not be so lenient, don't catch wind of this community, and thos particular group of paladin's travels elsewhere to wipe out the truly mindless undead.
>>
>>50120638
>aren't divinely powered
>sworn to a secular oath

then they aren't paladins you faggot
>>
>>50120716
Read the OP. And paladins have been sworn to a cause more than a deity for ages now.
>>
>>50120716
Also
>confirmed for not playing tabletop
>>
>>50119952
Well you;re falling into the natural trap of trying to force a paladin to be "lawful" and "good". This is incorrect. A paladin is "Lawful good". A paladin who is "lawful good" only follows laws that are good and is only good in a lawful way.

So you have these undead. They are sentient and, despite their natural evil, can still be good. The law says undead are to be killed. In this sense, for these particular undead, is this law "good?" I would say not. These undead, like demons and other evil outsiders, should be closely monitored due to their innate evilness. However, they themselves, as individuals, are innocent until proven guilty. This will be a good roleplay moment for your paladin as he no longer has Detect Evil to turn the world black and white when determining good.
>>
File: misuse of fedora.jpg (7KB, 211x238px) Image search: [Google]
misuse of fedora.jpg
7KB, 211x238px
>>50119952
How should I, or anyone else, know? What defines a paladin in your setting? What forces are they beholden to and by what standard are they judged? Would King Arthur be a Paladin in your setting? How about Saladin or Richard the Lionheart?

Only the DM can define what makes a paladin in their setting.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.