[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you build an original culture from scratch? Pic unrelated.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

File: 1462141633405.jpg (76KB, 600x805px) Image search: [Google]
1462141633405.jpg
76KB, 600x805px
How do you build an original culture from scratch?
Pic unrelated.
>>
You have to know the environment and origins of the culture.
>>
>>50118451
>Pic unrelated

Only because he failed.
>>
>>50118503
There's no need for that kind of bait in here.
>>
>>50118451
You steal tid bits from other culture and mash them into each other.
>>
>>50118726
Shit tier worldbuilding
>>
Start with a landscape and a creation myth. So, basically you decide where they live, what that area has in it apart from them, and how their early ancestors might have rationalised living exactly there and having all that stuff around them. Then just spin it further: If these are people who believe the Great Heavenly Crocodile rose from the waters to make firm land for them and the small islands in the swampy bay that they inhabit are His teeth whom they're tasked to keep clean. What kind of outlook does this inform? What would their myths be like? Their attitudes to change or foreign cultures? What are their priests like? How do they choose their priests? How is religion relevant to the everyman? Does it affect how they choose their worldly leadership?

Usually it just sort of grows from there, complete with cultural taboos.
>>
>>50118451

Make an original environment. Geography shapes culture a lot.
>>
>>50118624
I am chastised. Here are my thoughts as an apology then. Culture is built upon the interactions of people with each other and their enviroments. It is like a simulation of events, that little by little through time takes shape a greater whole. The greater amount of events and their consquences you add, the more whole the culture will seem to be. This is much easier when building individual cultures up to the point they interact, after that it gets much more complicated unless you characterize them as absolutely insular.
>>
>>50118791
I ain't no tolkien but it still works.
>>
The main culture in my system is basically everything that I like from real life cultures.
>>
>>50118451

Rivers are crucial. The size, nature, and form of these rivers will have a deep effect on a culture. Take Egypt, everything revolves around the Nile. Rivers, navigable in particular, are often the economic core of any nation and these rivers will define what kind of country can you end up with.
>>
File: 1451489063530.jpg (2MB, 1016x6090px) Image search: [Google]
1451489063530.jpg
2MB, 1016x6090px
>>50118451
The geography is the most important thing. You should start by building the physical world first and the cultures second.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.