[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Good Players

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4

File: Sun Rise.jpg (24KB, 750x500px) Image search: [Google]
Sun Rise.jpg
24KB, 750x500px
I've seen plenty of "That Guy" stories around here, stories of terrible players and GM's but I think we need some balance around here.

For the purposes of cheering ourselves up and reminding ourselves of why we play these games I ask you to post the best: Players, Player Characters, NPC's, BBEG's, ETC.
>>
File: 1416956832434.jpg (133KB, 1024x717px) Image search: [Google]
1416956832434.jpg
133KB, 1024x717px
>>50116721

>two and a half hours later
>barren thread

Ouch. I'd say the hard core of three players in my group who stick with me through thick and thin no matter how many flakes go through slots 4&5. I feel bad because the game I run isn't all that really and I don't deserve the loyalty.
>>
>>50119310
Sounds like you just have some good friends man :^)
>>
>>50116721
>Good Players
Absolutely best player I ever had was also the first player to ever join a game of mine. We were both very green and he had a hard time understanding that TTRPGs aren't like vidya, even seemed annoyed at people that wanted to RP. Two months later, he had one of the best characters and I still invite him from time to time in any of the online tables I organise.

>Good GMs
My last SWN GM was the best GM I've seen. Period.
He had an entire sector ready, every planet having its own feel and backstory, the various factions felt different and when they openly clashed it was a big deal, all of our characters had arcs going for them, our backstories always came into play, it was amazing. But unfortunately he commited the cardinal sin of TTRPGs; he made the game fun.
>>
>>50119597

How was that last part a problem?
>>
File: 1471287253144.png (133KB, 800x584px) Image search: [Google]
1471287253144.png
133KB, 800x584px
>>50116721

In a game filled with edgelord characters with dark and mysterious pasts, I had a player roll the most cheerful and idealistic kobold wizard who was basically a magical girl in all but name only. He did it just to spite the other edgy players and it ended up being the sole reason the campaign ever finished. In the end almost all the plot threads focused on her, not because she intentionally stole the spotlight, but because everyone else was so busy brooding about their backstory they didn't want to tell the others about to pick up any plothooks no matter how hard I slapped their faces with. Meanwhile this littlest kobold is engaging with every little thing I throw out to the party, forcing the others to actually try and develop their characters in the process by constantly engaging them and being curious about them. She stormed through the campaign and in the end sacrificed herself to save the world, dragging the rest of the party along by sheer personality.

I honestly think it was the only good thing to come out of that campaign. This guy has a permanent seat in all of my games.
>>
File: Hand of Good Player.jpg (132KB, 426x282px) Image search: [Google]
Hand of Good Player.jpg
132KB, 426x282px
>Only one out of the 4 players I was DMing for has played DnD before
Experienced player has 1-on-1 session with each player, teaching them rules and rolling up characters

>They don't have dice or character sheets
Experienced player has enough sheets dice for every player. Let's them keep the dice sets they used.

>They see my collection of awesome minis and want their own minis.
Experienced player helps them pick out their own minis and even paints them.

>New players struggle with first role-playing experience.
"That man's coin purse looks awfully big, don't it?" says Experienced player to the first time rogue player.

"The church wouldn't be happy with this, would they" Experienced player asks the first time cleric player.
>>
>>50116721
One of my earliest DnD campaigns, which was hard as shit for sheer sake of our group not really being classed out for the adventure, but we managed to finish the first chapter of the Redhand of Doom.
I was a thug-based Rogue. (Been reading through 3rd Party "The Quinessential Rogue" book and worked with DM on the extra shit. I had a mental image of Badrach from Valkyrie Profile)
>I KNOW BETTER NOW!!!
This Guy was a Trapmaster Goblin named Krang, who later became Director Krang. Dude could do SUCH a fucking awesome Goblin voice, I should have him record something to prove it.

We ended up pulling the criminal "short smart guy, tough dumb guy" dynamic and went out to the hobgoblin held ruins.
>Traveling through ravine.
>Thick woods and brush on the edges on either side
>failed spot checks.
>Fucking ambushed and pincushioned to fuck.
Other players Dwarven Runesmith, a Hengai Oki (What the fuck), but changed after that fight to an Uldra, and Master of many forms druid.

We run, realizing we fucked like a roofied promdate on a direct assault.
>I admit, we should have realized that earlier, but I digress...

We plan. We set up our OWN ambush the next day with an over-turned wagon about a mile/mile and a half up the road from the Hobgobbo's ambush. Cart we are sitting in, which includes pittraps dug all over the place (Incluing DIRECTLY in front of the cart, yes we are dicks) and Krang sets up 3 different patches of trees and brush (Difficult terrain) to burn with oil on the ground and pitchers of Alchemist's Fire suspended by ropes. (Shoot rope/pitcher, difficult terrain inferno)

First group of hobbo's are lured in, not much, but we kill them easily enough. DM however runs campaigns with scary effectiveness, and the next group comes in avoiding the other patches of thick brush.
>"DID YOU NOT READ THE SCRIPT!?!" Krang when the hobbos avoid his traps.
>He grabs his hand crossbow and growls, "This is why I HATE working with Amateurs..."
>>
>>50120200
He had so many other good lines throughout that adventure, and the Director title stuck as he kept up the 'Trapmaster with a script' joke going the entire time.

Then there was our infiltration of the citadel, and Krang distracted the Hobgoblin guards with his Rod of Rope by Batman-ing onto the walls, and then back out again, and led their riders through the woods by repeatedly not-Spider man/Batmaning through the trees.

I literally cannot remember him miming the Rod of Ropes grapplling hook shenanigans while going "Ning na-na ning-ning na-na-na ning na-na ning-ning" (The fucking James Bond theme music) in that high-pitched Goblin voice without laughing out loud, because it was so hilariously awesome.
>>
I had a really good time DMing for a few of my friends in this homebrew setting. My friend kinda cobbled it together from bits of existing ideas and a lot of modern history.

Imagine the 20th century except with magic and mythical creatures, Communism never collapsed, JFK was never assassinated and a cautious stalemate was reached between them, the world sets to recovering from the second world war.

My friend played a Communist diplomat sent to ease things over with Finland, he was a normal human with a drinking habit and a love of salmon.
Together with his ex-soldier friend we had a bunch of crazy adventures across Finland.
>>
>>50119686
That's kind of adorable
>>
>>50119665
It's a joke
>>
Can good DMs count? My first DM managed to deal with twelve new murderhobos and guide us through at least six or seven sessions of a campaign before the party ended up killing each other.

He still is my favorite, even after trying out some other DMS. He just tells a good completely improved story and knows how to make NPCs fun to interact with.
>>
>>50116721
If it wasn't for Chris, my gaming groups wouldn't happen.

He's always up for a game. Always makes time to show up. Even when he's on nights, he tries. Even when he's new dad sleep deprived, he'd show up. Even when he was one of two people to appear we'd hang out.

There's a reason I put him in my wedding party.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.