[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/wbg/ - Worldbuilding General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 287
Thread images: 62

File: nrTkqnS.jpg (32KB, 425x450px) Image search: [Google]
nrTkqnS.jpg
32KB, 425x450px
Skeleton war edition

On designing cultures:
http://www.frathwiki.com/Dr._Zahir%27s_Ethnographical_Questionnaire

Random generators:
http://donjon.bin.sh/

Mapmaking tutorials:
http://www.cartographersguild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48

Free mapmaking toolset:
www.inkarnate.com

Random Magic Resources/Possible Inspiration:
http://www.darkshire.net/jhkim/rpg/magic/antiscience.html
http://www.buddhas-online.com/mudras.html
http://sacred-texts.com/index.htm

Conlanging:
http://www.zompist.com/resources/

Random (but useful) Links:
http://futurewarstories.blogspot.ca/
http://www.projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/
http://military-sf.com/
http://fantasynamegenerators.com/
http://donjon.bin.sh/
http://www.eyewitnesstohistory.com/index.html
http://kennethjorgensen.com/worldbuilding/resources
https://www.reddit.com/r/AskHistorians/wiki/books/europe#wiki_middle_ages
https://www.reddit.com/r/worldbuilding

previous >>50064473
before that >>50001421
and before that >>49951094
a long time ago >>49896656
>>
>>50115870
>le previous maymay
Fuck you OP.
>>
>>50115870
> have been moderately successful making settings that aren't fantasy
> what got me into worldbuilding was fantasy
> crash and burn hard every time I try and make a fantasy setting
What should I do /wbg/?
>>
>>50116109
Fantasy but be moderately successful this time.
>>
File: 1464065989520.jpg (128KB, 800x700px) Image search: [Google]
1464065989520.jpg
128KB, 800x700px
No questions edition then.

>What kind of governments or rulerships do you have? Republics? Kingdoms?

>How they work, who rules how?

>Jurisprudence, legal system how it works?

>Is there desire for change? What do they want to change?

>How does states neighbours feel about how the state is ran?

Meta question: Your favourite drinkable fluid?
>>
>>50115870

Coinage is the standard copper, silver, gold, platinum of DnD. Some of the coinage of the Empire is made in its own refineries gathered from smaller mines of material, though the large bulk of ore for coinage and precious metals/gems comes from the mines controlled by the Dwarven holds. Technically the Dwarven holds are within the borders of the Empire, but are considered sovereign in a mutual treaty to help each other. The Dwarven lands supply the Empire with metals, gems, minerals and rare underground fungi, and the Empire gives them food, textiles, luxuries and livestock in return.

The average person keeps a number of coins with their things, though in more rural areas, barter is more common than just using coinage. In instances where large sums of coinage or value are involved, the occasional writ of debt is drafted and sealed by the nearest major financial entity to authenticate its value, after all, almost nobody wants to haul around enormous sacks of coinage.
>>
>>50116207
>Anarchists, everywhere
>implying
>implying
>implying
>implying
Carrot juice or cay.
>>
>>50116099
Good old Not!Old Ones. Providing us with wacko cults since time immemorial.
>>
>>50116207
Kingdoms generally

To give some examples the three Dwarf Kingdoms each elect a "king" to be their representative. From the three Clans a High King is chosen, generally by the previous high king. The High King can be anyone and come from any standing, but you have to be careful about who you choose, since if the person you choose turns out to be bad then you are condemned to Dwarf Hell (Which is you floating impotently in a featureless space forever). Now it's not as bad as it seems since generally a council will decide if the fuck up is
on you or if it was just bad circumstance.

The Undead Kingdom is ruled by the Skeleton King with several semi-independent lesser "states". Well in theory, most reasonable vampire lords would listen to him but a lot do their own thing. That's not even getting into the Werewolf clans, mad scientists and other such things that dot the landscape.

The main human Kingdom is getting more parliamentary. Unfortunately the King is getting old and senile and can't reform like he used to and his daughter is a bit of a brat.

Legal system is something I'll have to think long and hard about

The Middle Class is just emerging in the main human Kingdom. There is a desire for something resembling democracy which the old king approves of.

Most people keep themselves to themselves.
>>
>>50116099
>Inheritance laws for other races... that's interesting. How else could inheritance be determined other than by next-of-kin or 'the strongest gets it'?
Personally I'm curious how it would work for long lived species like elves, where they can live through like five generations before worrying about who gets their stuff, and by then they have god knows how many descendants with all kinds of complicated family relations. Could you just follow the humans system of next of kin without running into issues?
>>
>>50116467
Maybe they could have the Roman "adoption" method? An elf can choose his "son" and he becomes his heir.
>>
How do I go about creating cultures in a desert apocalyptic setting ? From tribal to military, I need some help.
>>
>>50116207

It varies (kingdoms, plutocracies, rule by elders, etc.) but for the most part, nothing democratic, at least not on the large scale.

For the smaller settlements there are mayors, but they're mostly figureheads bullied into submission by the local warlord or tycoon.

Closest things come is Grit: A middle of nowhere town run as a sort of peasant commune (think of the way medieval villages ran themselves minus serfs and nobles)

They lack natural resources to really prompt any large scale invasion or attract any carpetbagging robber barons to set up shop, so they're left alone to manage their own affairs.

They elect a representative from amongst themselves to organize harvests, trade, etc. and deal with visitors from the outside during their term as Mayor, and another representative as Sheriff who keeps the peace and organizes the town militia whenever a raiding party comes their way.

Thus, primitive division of powers and a direct democracy. Only problem is that in order to survive, they've had to take measures to attract merchants to their town and trade for supplies they desperately need and can't make on their own, which has gradually eroded their autonomy.

Oh yeah. For the most part life is hell for people who aren't at the top. There are constantly revolts brewing in basically all settlements, it's just the effective ones that keep them from actually happening. Worst is probably in Cragston, where the local authorities (a mining corporation that owns it as a company town) have gotten too cocky and allowed an agitator of the lower classes to break out of prison and go into hiding among the miners. So far the guy's gotten overwhelming support and has even started work on underground arms manufacturing to even the odds against the Mining Co.'s private police.
>>
>>50116467
I imagine elves doing inheritance either by choice if determined before death, or by merit, or depending upon what the material is, may very well just be sacrificed to the nature god/buried with the dead.

>>50116207
Everyone wishes there were another person good enough to be a King again, but they also fear that having a single ruler is more likely to get assassinated again, like the last one. Since then, the EMpire's been ruled by an Imperial Council made of the most prestigious in the fields of magic, commerce and religion. While the Empire isn't as prosperous as it was under the old King's rule, everyone agress that having the most capable rule is wise, to make for better decisions and drive off the undead hordes to the east.
>>
>>50116516
Gotcha covered pal, that's all I've been doing here.
My setting involves a post-apocalyptic world set on a continent almost covered in desert. Basic theme is "What if the Atom Bomb was invented in WWI and only the colonies survived the ensuing nuclear winter?"

What are you looking for?
>>
>>50116574
I've got some really basic ideas in mind. A military force parading themselves around as the 'police' that are both hated and loved by people in the desert, the generic roving band of slave-taking barbarians, and perhaps a group of people living in in the cold - their people naturally resistant to the frost because of generations of mutation caused by extreme living conditions.
>>
>>50116499
>>50116559
Hmm, so I'm thinking for common folk inheritance is a non-issue; wealth is buried/sacrificed/defaulted to the state. For royalty the adoption method is the norm, but what if a king dies with no declared son? Maybe the could have like a vice president rulership transfers to?
>>
>>50116660
In my setting, that's only been an issue once, where the ruling King was killed, and had no sons (females aren't allowed in governmental positions). After the king died, his advisors handled affairs for a short time until it was decided an Imperial Council would be formed of the most powerful and skilled masters of commerce, magic and religion. The Council oversees all matters of the overarching Empire, with leaders appointed by the Council from the nobility to rule outlying lands, also with an emphasis on merit. A dandy would never be considered to rule one of the border territories defending against the undead hordes, though a skilled noble battlemage or military veteran may.
>>
File: Bad Cops Mad Max.jpg (528KB, 1772x997px) Image search: [Google]
Bad Cops Mad Max.jpg
528KB, 1772x997px
>>50116632
I'd look at pic related from the first Mad Max for costume inspiration.

I have a very similar faction, except everyone hates them.

Without any real law enforcement, the only real authority in Boomtown comes from the “Pig Cops”; an unruly bunch of freelance rent-a-cops specializing in police brutality of all sorts. Their particular brand of “justice” is defined by whoever’s payroll they’re on at the moment, though they take particular delight in cracking down on the homeless addicts laying low in the slums of Boomtown, just for the fun of it. Also known jokingly as the “Piggertons”, though the reference has long been lost to time.
>>
>>50115870
There are no skeletons in my fantasy settings undead, yay or nay?
>>
>>50116207
Humans are predominantly kingdom based, but have gotten to that point where they're experimenting with other options. Aedda will likely remain in tribalism unless they get some serious uplifting from humans, something they aren't too keen on.

Nothing special for the humans really. Aedda tribes are very heavily caste based and function largely off of family loyalties.

Again humans nothing special as of yet, except booting people off the edge of the world as a means of execution, but even that isn't really radical as far as the setting goes. Aedda justice system consists almost entirely of ritual trials that due to the magical nature of the world aren't quite as bullshit as they could be (but still aren't entirely reliable, though try telling that to one of their elders).

The 2 species just met each other about 80ish years ago. So not only has a lot of things changed for each of them, there are a variety of viewpoints within each's various cultures as to how things should go from here. A lot of new ideas have been being thrown around as a result of the 2 races having fairly different views on their fairly different worlds.

Too many states not enough post.

Tea or Jamaican style ginger beer.

>>50117916
Everyone is flesh blobs?
>>
Posted in the previous thread, but I had to sleep and thread transitioned soon after.

I need some help coming up with ideas to create cultures. Each culture is loosely based off of one or more real world cultures, is attuned to one of 12 aub-elements, and mixes physically with something non-human (it was humans only until someone played God, so now everyone is anywhere from 15% to 85% human).

Here's what I have so far:
[Air]
Wind: Chinese culture, mix with birds (Tengu)
Thunder: Standard European, mix with cats (for obvious reasons. Think Charr and Khajiit)
Lightning: Nothing

[Fire]
Fire: Native American culture (plains and southwest), Werewolves (canines in general)
Arid (desert, erosion, time, friction, etc): Middle Eastern culture. Scorpions (brown drow. Maybe hivemind?)
Bio (chemicals, poisons, acids): post apoc, cancer, mutations.

[Water]
Steam: Russia? Mist forms?
Water: British Caribbean. More human-like are the british colonials, more fish-like are ghetto jamaicans. Think Zora
Ice: Vikings. Dwarven Vkings? Giant Vikings?

[Earth]
Earth: Maybe Japanese? Torn between dwarven insect hivemind and rock golems.
Plant: Irish Fey. Either have a dryad-like connection with a tree, or can transform into a tree.
Metal: Fantasy Cyborgs. Inner city america/Industrial revolution. ghetto steampunk.

Some were easy to do (Thunder, Wind, Water, Metal), but I can't seem to find something that fits well with others (Lightning, Steam, Earth,etc). Any oddly fitting combinations that I'm overlooking?
>>
>>50116207
>>What kind of governments or rulerships do you have? Republics? Kingdoms?
For the most part monarchy. There's also one merchant republic, totalitarian bureocracy in a faraway land, people who resent any sorts of rigid rulership and a completely failed state.
>>How they work, who rules how?
Major kingdoms are feudal. Merchant republic are run by a guy named Prince-Successor and an assembly composed mostly of top wealthiest people. Faraway land has rigid cast system and state exams to advance people in ranks. Failed state is also sort of monarchy, but smaller and more primitive
>>Jurisprudence, legal system how it works?
In most places local leaders handle everything. Large cities has judges.
>>Is there desire for change? What do they want to change?
Generally, people are content with what they have. In the republic there's a push for more inclusive government but otherwise conflicts are not about the system but about who should run it.
>>How does states neighbours feel about how the state is ran?
My anarchist people are thought to be savages. Feudals and the republic are doing fine with each other, although lords and ladies think merchants lack class. Failed state are subjects to major racism (mostly being stereotyped as a bunch of crazy racists) or simply seen with contempt for their complete failure of a nation (Plagued by racist craziness)
>>
>>50118576
Their all corpses. Need some muscle to be resurrected. No skellingtons without their meat suits.
>>
>>50119214
For earth, what about making it a Pseudo-Communist worker's state? They consider hard labour (especially mining and farming bc they're closest to the earth) to be divine.

Alternatively, because you're talking about Golems, you could do something with Eastern European Jews (Or Pre-Christian Hebrews)
>>
>>50119623
Those could both work. I was thinking the Earth nation would be set in a canyonland environment (Wind would have the Needle Mountain aesthetic of southern China). So if I were to keep the canyonland idea, they could even be native mexicans. Hebrews and an xx-stan culture would definitely work as there are frequent mentions of those people hiding in/using mountain caves. By comparison, the Arid nation would be more like the Arabia/40 Thieves aesthetic.

I just wonder how that would overlap with the Fire nation's SW native aesthetic. I might just need to move them more Northeast to be Greatlakes and Great Plains instead.

What's your opinion on demi-Scorpions being a hivemind society? Are they sufficiently bug-like? Or should I do actual insects, like !Formians. An ant or termite mix would work well with earth, as they could craft their own mountains and canyons, but I also feel like one of these nations needs to be built literally from their element, and Earth is the most straightforward to do. Another wrinkle: I could reference the biblical "Humanity was made from the dust" with Earth Golems. I think its coming down to Judaic Golems or Japanese Formians. And then there's still the question of Steam and Lightning.
>>
File: pseudoscorpion.jpg (625KB, 1734x1226px) Image search: [Google]
pseudoscorpion.jpg
625KB, 1734x1226px
>>50120160
Scorps are arachnids, they're solitary.

I'd do actual insects. Maybe Pseudo-scorps or Earwigs if you like that body shape.

Some earwigs are very maternal and Pseudo-Scorpions have advanced mating habits.

As for the "Humanity was made from dust" thing there's also Greek Myth, which stipulates that Prometheus out of clay.
>>
>>50120160
Steam is easy.

Steampunk floating cities (maybe over an ocean or lake to fit the water aspect?) that act as port towns and a hub of trade.

Better yet, why not make it so that they hover over a part of the ocean where giant sea monsters live? Their cities need to fly so that the monsters don't nom them up.
And one of their main exports are things they harvest from hunting sea monsters (tusks, scales, blubber, etc.) so it makes sense that they wouldn't just take the cities somewhere else.
>>
Can I ask some feedback on a race i'm brewing?

Gnashers are a form of not!undead creatures. They're home to the desert nation of Vis, whose inhabitants practice vitamancy (controlling the ebb and flow of life force).
When a person is drained of their life force beyond a certain threshold, they begin transforming into a Gnasher:
- All remaining life force is pulled into the heart
- The body starts decaying and its flesh starts oozing black smoke
- Bony plates jut out the chest and back, covering the head (and internally the heart)
- The shift in weight forces the person on all fours, making him crawl
- Most Gnashers lose all sense of self and turn rabid

What's left is barely human at all. The name is derived from the boneplates' constantly gnashing against eachother.
The transformation is brought about by a corrupted enchantment an angel once put in place. Originally, a divine shield would prevent a person being drained of life force completely, but the greed of the Visians twisted the enchantment and in turn, the angel.
>>
>>50120347
That's true. Bug is a pretty general term, but I agree most people won't combine arachnids and insects. Fantasy Scorps (like Guild War's two tailed variety) might break enough preconceptions.

Early Greeks might fit well enough to combine with Early Jews. I'll have to see if there are some aesthetics I can combine.

>>50120401
That's true. I haven't really been a huge fan of steampunk in general, but especially if I want to keep the idea that Steam is Russian, then I could make something where Steampunk Moscow works. I'll have to dig into my advanced lore to see if there might be any inconsistencies. A city in the clouds is always nice to have.
>>
File: mapWIP2.jpg (2MB, 3600x7200px) Image search: [Google]
mapWIP2.jpg
2MB, 3600x7200px
>>50116207
>What kind of governments or rulerships do you have? Republics? Kingdoms? How they work, who rules how?
-- a failed electorate that has devolved into principalities, free cities, holy cities, and domains under the third eye (equivalent to crusader states)
-- Tribes (can be an equivalent to a kingdom or a more typical tribe, depending on the region and people)
-- the Successorship (successor is chosen through a complex ritual, according to legends the Successor is supposed to be a reincarnation of the original leader)
-- two theocratic republics that are in a North Korea/South Korea type stalemate,
-- various city-states
-- a full blown theocracy with a God-Queen (or roughly the same as a God-Queen)

kingdoms are a HUUUGE no-no for various reasons

aside from the theocracies which have their own, somewhat alien laws, most of the states have some variation of the Bloodlaw from the Serenelands (the aforementioned failed electorate), which is a comprehensive codex divided into Low Bloodlaw (generally laws for the peasantry) and High Bloodlaw (laws concerning the succession of states and international rules of conduct).

a good portion of the peasantry want to be paid more and be less restricted by their mayors, since the last few wars
have depopulated the region a fair bit. they also want more fines and punishment for unlawful magic ('external manipulation' is the legal term).

some of the princes want to break away from the electorate, one family wants to re-centralize the region and give more power back to the elected-prince (mostly because the position has been in their pocket for forty years now)

>How do states neighbours feel about how it is ran?
many of them don't acknowledge the electorate directly and prefer to deal with the more powerful princes within it. they don't really care about how it is ran so much as how they can benefit them.
>>
>>50120503
forgot to make the map smaller, sorry
>>
>>50120477
Why would anyone be willing to use vitamancy to the point that they become a Gnasher? Is there any indication of the potential to become one, or is it one of those 'you never know if it'll happen' things like ODing on drugs?
>>
>>50120503
What program did you use to make that map? I wanna steal the hell out of that program.
>>
>>50120477
How does the race fit among others and the setting as a whole? because so far they sound like a Monster Manual entry. To me a race means there's some level of organization or civilization, but how does that happen if Gnashers trend towards becoming mindless and feral?
>>
>>50120496
Maybe rather than steampunk, it's magitech?
Oh! Change it from steam to Mist and have the cities built on clouds of fog magically turned solid.

They drift over the Lake of Monsters teasingly out of reach of the snapping jaws and gnashing fangs below.

Every now and then, a city will lower juust low enough that a monster will leap up and snap at it, only to be caught by a hail of massive hooks and harpoons that drag it up to be gutted and turned into the city's meal for the next month.
>>
>>50120556
made it in photoshop
i also have a drawing tablet, which makes drawing the actual landmasses/countries a lot easier
>>
>>50120589
I wonder if there's some sort of mythology that supports that. The first image that appeared in my head when I was creating this was a foggy moor or misty lake. How that became Russia I don't know, but there's someway to reconcile everything. Russia itself is mutable, and I still don't have a fantastic non-human aspect. Mistform is nice, but I can't help but think there's something better out there, or at least a better implementation of the mistform.
>>
>>50120531
The main currency in Vis is life force. Almost everyone there knows the basics of vitamancy, the easiest forms of which is donating life (a technique passed to them in ancient times to help with life in the harsh desert). More skilled vitamancers can also drain life. It's not unseen for shady debt collectors to push someone over the edge with it.
The first signs are back and chest pains. After that, red scars begin to appear where the plates will come out. If the person doesn't increase their life force in the next 24 hours or so, the transformation sets in.

>>50120563
It's meant more as a monster manual entry I guess, mixed up the terminology, sorry.
They're usually exiled from civilization, some stragglers wander the outskirts of town, others form bands in the desert, hunting anything that passes by.
Some are trained by the military to act as shock troops, though this is kept from the public, in fear of outrage.
>>
>>50120740
Consider having them become full monsters. Wandering the outskirts or being "trained" by militaries I can see, but them becoming a band of highwaymen just doesn't seem to fit with your previous description. Unless, you meant they just become feral packs of non-cannibalistic monsters. I can dig the idea of humans transforming into purely instinctual beasts in this way. Is there anything that happens if someone has too much lifeforce? Either transforming up (i.e. becoming angelic), or becoming a cancer monster? Having something like that makes for some interesting interaction possibilities.
>>
>>50120733
Eh, could change to Scotland?
Perhaps some amphibious frog-like species that originally dwelled on the banks until they learned how to make cities fly.

If you really want mistform, you could make it a Land of the Dead.

A site of some ancient empire that was wiped out in some long forgotten plague; miles upon miles of graveyards all smothered under the same mysterious fog, out of which appear strange apparitions seemingly made of the mist itself.
>>
>>50120936
I already have the ancient dead civilization thing going on, and its going to stay out of the "playable races" group.

And Scotland would give me a 4th GB based culture (Thunder being Tribal England, Water is Colonial Britain, and Plant being Irish Fey). In some respects you can never have too much Britain, but sometimes you can have too much Britain.

I also have an America (beyond the Native American Fire nation and the Inner City Metal nation), but that idealistic, melting pot America is its own separate entity.

The Frogs are interesting though. There might be something to be found within Slavland. I wonder if there are any frog stories within the Eastern European bloc, or perhaps they could be more of a Russian/Mongolian combo. A Russia Mongolia mix might be better actually. I'll have to look around.
>>
>>50120818
I meant it in the pack of beasts sense.
And I had an idea in mind:
White liches are high level vitamancers who have accumulated an immense amount of life force. Through ritual and meditation, they can focus all their force onto their heart and trigger the transformation themselves. They lose their bodies in the process and become floating bone shells (what's inside the shell stays functional, so they still have a working heart and lungs).
They can float about just fine, though it's not unseen for them to be mounted onto a suit of armor.

I'm still fleshing them out though.
>>
>>50121124
Actually, Japan does plenty of things with frags.

There was a Frog-based ninja in a folktale who even had a giant frog mount
>>
>>50121265
True. Japan opens up if I go the route of Mediterranean Golems.

So I could tentatively do Japanese Mist Frogs and Mediterranean Earth Golems. That still leaves Lightning without something to represent it. Anything woefully unrepresented that also relates to Lightning?
>>
Which is better: A full globe map or an isolated area?

I ask as i'm realising that trying to write an entire planets lore is a bit too big a task and I have existing stuff for a much smaller map already written. Problem is, it would mean a huge upheaval of stuff and amalgamation of whats been written before.

Do I go back to nations bordering a man-made ecological nightmare or a harsh but verdant colonised planet

wat do?

Posting old lore I had written up so you can give it a read
>>
>>50122004
I've been attempting to make a campaign setting for about two weeks. Come up with a very general overarching idea for the world, like is it more one terrain than another? Is it the only planet known/in the system? How did it come to be there? And then, focus on just the areas the characters are likely to explore in the beginning, perhaps one major city, a few smaller towns and some wilderness area.
>>
>>50122004
You might just want to focus on what's relevant. It might take place on a planet, but most of it is inaccessible. You can work on what's necessary to run your game, and then as you have time release more parts to the lore.

Also:
>No one nation can be blamed for the creation of the Ecozone.
What can be assured is that every country has been effected
by it in some way or another

effected should be affected.
>>
>>50120503

Now that is a cool map, both the design and the way you named the different areas. Very impressive. How did you work when making it?
>>
File: Paul Giamatti.jpg (30KB, 326x354px) Image search: [Google]
Paul Giamatti.jpg
30KB, 326x354px
>>50116207

Ran out of space, so I'll answer the meta question first.

Wine. My family moved to wine country about 6 years ago and live <10 minutes from a dozen or so of them. Besides just enjoying the taste, I also enjoy the culture surrounding it. Compared to other alcohol cultures it seems more down-to-earth and agriculturally-focused (ex: my mental image of a brewmaster is a bearded pot-bellied man who primarily works the fermenters and importing hops, whereas my mental image of a vintner is out in the fields more than they are processing grapes).

The concept of terrior and having some dynamic aspects of where/when/how it was produced is intriguing as well. Different soil types, climates, and biochemistry having an effect on the end result's taste. If I ever retire I'd like to move to Northern Cali/Southern Oregon to soak that in. I get about $30/month's worth (either one nice bottle or a few shittier ones).
>>
>>50122879

Plutocracy for the Saudia Arabia inject, Meritocracy for the noble savages, and Monarchy for everywhere else.

Plutocracy: Family rule, every 3 years whomever has the most total wealth is given the offer to rule. The choice is optional.
Meritocracy: Every year there are different trials of survival elected by council (e.g. go into wilderness and do X). Volunteers attempt to perform trials, whomever finishes most efficiently is elected leader.
Monarchy: Typical family rule.

Pluto/Monarchy: Ruler appoints judges to enforce will.
Meritocracy: Tradition dictates law.

Pluto: Short-term no, long-term yes.
Merit: No
Monarch: Yes, kings are assholes.

Pluto->Mon: Friendly
Merit->Mon: Hostile
Pluto->Merit: Friendly
>>
File: 1386795305.gif (998KB, 160x160px) Image search: [Google]
1386795305.gif
998KB, 160x160px
>>50116207
In founding order (as viewed by their neighbors and the FoN)
>Aristocracy
>Monarchy
>Imperial Republic
>Theocracy
>Democracy with a dash of Constitutional Monarchy
>Union of Free States
>Republic

Aristocracy has an immortal royal family, Monarchy is largely hereditary with an elected council, Imperial Republic has an immortal emperor who's fucking invincible, Theocracy chooses a pope, Democracy/Monarchy only has a government to maintain social order 'cause the inhabitants don't give a shit, City-States are trying to out-merchant eachother into a hegemony, and the baby Republic is still getting it's shit together.

Depends on the country, and there are a lot of them. Imperial Republic is the only one with a legal system resembling the US's.
Adventurer's Guild sticks up for registered Adventurers across national borders, so there's that.

Republic's the most fluid one, as it's attempting to make a bunch of people that hate eachother get along. Most of the "immortal" or "semi-immortal" folks have a well-grounded power base.

Monarchy shadow-governs the Democracy/Monarchy. Apart from that, nearly all of them have some form of defense agreement against "threats to civilization" and couldn't care less about international politics.
Republic might declare war on the Theocracy if they learn about the demi-human slavery, but overall philosophy hasn't progressed to that point yet.
>>
>players ask for a creepy weird faction in my sci-fi post apoc america
>come up with an oligarchy of former human scientists who lost all ethics and work flesh to make a bioscience society of slaves
>"Wow anon that's fucked up"

That's what y'all wanted. A fucked up faction. Gives my paladin player something to hate though.
>>
File: GitGud2.jpg (21KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
GitGud2.jpg
21KB, 480x360px
>>50116109
>>
Are reptilian space dwarfs a bad idea? Really want a shorty race that kinda look like grunts from halo.

That sound bad to you guys?
>>
>>50124482
What makes them more than their quick description?
>>
I like square shields. Are they really feasible or practical enough to warrant their mass use in regions?
>>
>>50124729

>fast breeding
>Live maybe 45 years
>Society revolves around heavy industry and agriculture
>Families view life as somewhat expendable due to pop growth
>Duty to kith,kin, and Company is paramount

That's the basics really.
>>
File: testudo[1].jpg (40KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
testudo[1].jpg
40KB, 600x400px
>>50124787
If by square you mean pic related, then absolutely.

If by square you mean perfect square, then maybe. A nation might have a mass production method that allows them to cut sheets of metal into square shields, or maybe the nation just worships squares so that's how they make them.
>>
File: 1478359618529.jpg (339KB, 724x399px) Image search: [Google]
1478359618529.jpg
339KB, 724x399px
>>50124936
The standardization/mass production idea is pretty darn good, guy. Thanks
>>
>>50125296
I could see shield workshop gluing wood panels together and bending them in shape of a shield. Large number of young boys grinding the shields smooth or doing menial tasks not suitable for masters.
>>
File: Aketon.jpg (117KB, 300x450px) Image search: [Google]
Aketon.jpg
117KB, 300x450px
>>50116207
I planned long time to not add any beastmen or anything like that. Then I fell in love with Glorantha and I found the light that is not human races. Here is one bit new idea.

Gnolls (I have to think better name and not use that name) live in different communities and tribes. Most of them are lead by their chieftains or "kings" in their own language.

Chieftain is usually decided by bloodlines and standard oldest son of previous chief becomes new chief. Thought usurpers are common and that is why chieftains have to have a council made from important people in the community. Chieftains word is ultimate, but it would be foolish to not listen what council has to say.

There is simple and universal usage of honour duels to first blood to solve minor wrongings. In most cases cases are solved by the chieftain or the community elders. One common solution is volunteer or forced exodus.

There is always power struggle in the warrior caste and desire to be the next chief. It is common for similar minded gnolls to band together to make sure one of them has highest chance to become next chief.

They are not that liked. Mainly due to their beastly outlook and the fact that most of them are nomads. Strange untrustworthy folk either traveling on horse in plainlands or in big caravans in "civilized north".

Plain gnolls on their horses and more militaristic tribes and bands are tolerated due to their value as mercenaries. Gypsy like caravaneers or their shack communities are frowned as they rarely pay taxes or contribute to society.

I drink a lot of coffee. Around 8 cups a day.

If questions please ask. Also it is pretty hard to find good gnoll pictures.
>>
File: Carte à imprimer.jpg (3MB, 3576x3592px) Image search: [Google]
Carte à imprimer.jpg
3MB, 3576x3592px
Hi /tg/, I've just found an old map I used seven years ago for a campaign set in "generic fantasy land #114" but during the equivalent of WWI. I won't do anything with it anymore I think so I thought I might just post it here... (I was young when I made this, so I took a lot of names from various fantasy and sci fi settings I liked at that time)
>>
File: warrior_by_keirea-d3jzg9y.jpg (97KB, 600x906px) Image search: [Google]
warrior_by_keirea-d3jzg9y.jpg
97KB, 600x906px
>>50126825
Gnolls are around 2m tall when they have their backs straight, but their hunched backs make them aroun 160cm-175cm tall. Their physique is muscular and they have very good endurance. While they are bit slower than humans in running they can run for longer periods of time.

Female gnolls are quite similar to males and can carry one litter of 1-5 cubs every year, but due to gnolls having difficulties in acquiring steady aupply of food they rarely have litters every year. Thanks to similar physical abilities the female gnolls participate in fighting. While they could fight in front lines, female gnolls prefer on using bows, javelins or darts.

Gnolls are not stupid or incapable of building complicated things. The thing that hinders them is lack of actual experience or materials in their projects. Most of their arms and armours are simple. Spears, axes, gambesons and leather caps. Equipment got as plunder or trade are valuable.

Gnoll warfare differs a lot between nomadic gnolls and caravan gnolls. Nomadic gnolls on their horses are quite mongol like. Harassing enemy before charging in. Footslogging gnolls aggressively charge in enemies, killing and dragging several with them before retreating. They do this several times in hopes for enemies breaking formation. In prolonged conflict they like to raid and plunder the enemies and avoid direct conflict. After all it is hard to enjoy spoils if dead.

Most gnoll pictures are those savage robber looters we know from D&D and other fantasy. So these two pictures bit resemble what kind of gear they have and use.
>>
File: doodleymcdicks.png (930KB, 2654x1511px) Image search: [Google]
doodleymcdicks.png
930KB, 2654x1511px
Anyone draw for their worlds? Pic related some of my shitty creature doodles.
>>
File: WP_20150711_001.jpg (1MB, 1456x2592px) Image search: [Google]
WP_20150711_001.jpg
1MB, 1456x2592px
>>50127276
Sometimes. Mainly just map stuff before delving into gimp proper.

This is just some knight person inspired by Dark Souls elite knight armor
>>
File: stuff I guess.png (52KB, 766x1200px) Image search: [Google]
stuff I guess.png
52KB, 766x1200px
>>50127276
If you can call this drawing. I used to doodle characters and make up worlds around what ended up happening on the page, but fell away from art these last few years.
>>
File: ground pound.jpg (179KB, 1152x1090px) Image search: [Google]
ground pound.jpg
179KB, 1152x1090px
>>50127276
I enjoy drawing bits of it more than sorting out its politics
>>
>>50116207

Well the whole setting runs the gamut, there's feudal kings, absolutist monarchs, bureaucratic republics, merchant republics, noble republics, theocracies, there's even a revolutionary state like Reign of Terror France.

The main setting of the game, though, is a constitutional monarchy. There is a parliament elected by the citizenry, though the majority of the populace do not qualify as citizens. The monarch is really just a military commander with popular appeal, he has no direct authority in legal matters.

There is a desire for change, as migrants have poured into the realm from more destitute and tyrannical regions, but have little opportunity here either unless they try homesteading the frontier (a dangerous proposition).

Its neighbors don't like it. To its north is the state it broke away from. Basically they're both ethnostates now, used to be that one of the ethnic groups lorded over the other, so they got mad and killed a lot of people. Prosecuted a successful separatist rebellion, with some outside help. Now, even the state that funded their breakaway detests them because its people are fleeing to live in the new state.
>>
File: G.I. Joe Classics vol 03p021.jpg (493KB, 1092x1600px) Image search: [Google]
G.I. Joe Classics vol 03p021.jpg
493KB, 1092x1600px
>tfw I want to make a setting where a shit ton of demi-gods are running around
>Either the product of fuk, greek pantheon rape, etc etc or performing epic deeds in the name of their patron and receiving boons
>tfw I'm absolutely terrible at worldbuilding

So how are ya'll enjoying this sunday. Hope the knicks win
>>
>>50129875
Sounds like you want to run Godbound.
>>
>>50129875
Well what are you having trouble with?
>>
File: untitled-1.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
untitled-1.pdf
1B, 486x500px
Is it bad to post without an update?
>>
File: untitled-1.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
untitled-1.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>50130820
Is it also bad to post an update right after you said you didn't have an update?

I added notes to chapter 7.
>>
I like to create things for the hell of it. My only problem is that I never finish them. I figure having a bit more structure to my world-building process might help. My questions are: What do you do, and in what order? Do you divide worldbuilding into phases? What is your secret to completing these things?
>>
How multi-level feudal pyramid really was?
>>
>>50132817
What are you asking?
>>
>>50132922
You know how in Crusader Kings there's Kings ruling over dukes, dukes over counts, counts over barons. Was it really like this, or tended to have less levels?
>>
>>50132976
CK2 is accurate in its depiction of de jure status, but it was scarcely ever so neat in practice. I mean, it can sometime even be pretty good at depicting the de facto power balance, since as in real life there are times when counts will be more powerful and significant than dukes.

The feudal system worked almost identically to the way that criminal organizations work. At the top is a king(pin), then his direct subordinates the dukes (underbosses), who may have commanding subordinates of their own, the counts (capos), who then give out orders to the footsoldiers. But as in the mafia, sometimes a count/capo answers to the boss himself, since the position of duke/underboss is about the assignment of territory rather than strictly the delegation of authority.
>>
>>50132976
it had more levels if anything, especially since CK doesn't factor the peasantry in (which I don't why it would for game purposes, but they're still a crucial part of the system).

if you want to understand the feudal system, then you really have to separate yourself from the idea of the 'nation-state', that is, the idea of a modern country with set boundaries. it's much more based on who you own/who is under you, rather than a set territory that you rule over. even peasants can 'own' other peasants, a lot of times through renting the manor from the local lord who doesn't want to deal with the upkeep of it.
>>
File: ss+(2016-02-06+at+06.48.47).jpg (103KB, 719x707px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-02-06+at+06.48.47).jpg
103KB, 719x707px
>when you love a homebrew ethnicity too much to give it ugly people
>>
>>50135587
Nyet.

At that point you know you're either making elves, or fetish fuel.
The very first thing you should think of when you're designing any group of people's appearance is how they run the gauntlet from young -> old, poor -> rich, beautiful -> ugly and so on
>>
File: eyuhlVMu.gif (856KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
eyuhlVMu.gif
856KB, 500x281px
>>50135802
>At that point you know you're either making elves, or fetish fuel.
>my setting's canon has Halflings and Dwarves being created due to the Demiurge's fetish for shortstacks
>>
>>50137360
Well that's a lore reason for them having no ugly people.

Still fetish fuel tho
Feel bad anon but not really
*lightly slaps hand*
>>
>>50129875
Working on nanowrimo stuff. Pretty fun so far. Finally, an outlet for all this world building
>>
>>50116207
>>What kind of governments or rulerships do you have? Republics? Kingdoms?
All kinds. Kingdoms, Republics, Theocracies etc.
>>How they work, who rules how?
Kingdoms are usually elective, some are hereditary.
Republics are run by nobles who elect a Doge
Theocracies are obviously ruled by those appointed by god or the council of High Preists.
>>Jurisprudence, legal system how it works?
Think 16th century jurisprudence and you wouldn't be too far off.
>>Is there desire for change? What do they want to change?
There's a global collectivist movement that has formed a state in the far eastern islands after overthrowing their king. They're basically a mix of French Republican/Communist revolutionaries.
>>How does states neighbours feel about how the state is ran?
Most don't care, few are so terrible as to attain the ire of everyone around them however there are 3 in particular that are infamous for their trading of slaves, human sacrifice, and the worship of darker powers.
>>
File: 1476527877814.png (863KB, 1194x1921px) Image search: [Google]
1476527877814.png
863KB, 1194x1921px
Quick question: How much has ecclesiastic Latin changed over the years? Especially in the 400 AD -1400 range
>>
>>50115870
Bumpo
>>
>>50141003
I presume not much due to it having written alphabet and all the necessary rules made ready. Also I bet monks and priest where autistically accurate in copying how latin was written in 400 AD.
>>
I was hoping for a second pair of eyes to make sure the geography/climate layout looks generally alright. This is the Western continent which assumes something of the Far East and Americas to the eastern continent of the world. The eastern continent is done, the west I have just started to work on the climates after finishing the mountains and so forth. The very northern tip of the map dimensions is around 75 degrees north, the very bottom is around 26 degrees south. I have yet to add in rivers and lakes and so on to the West.

The arrows are layouts of wind patterns/cycles, and the horizontal grid will be properly done in full when I have both continents on the same psd file (Right now I can't because they are xbox huge in size. 200mb+ each). I'll add more snow in the far north, I just don't like how the layer looks with snow across a wide swathe of territory vs just ice caps.

It looks like I need to make the Himalaya-esque mountains in the West a lot more rugged akin to the ones in the east. But both existing on almost the exact same latitude is a bit off-putting. I still like such a mountain junction from a northern plate and southern plate in the west butting up, but I'm thinking it should be much more diagonal angular now, not so horizontal.

>>50141003

I fear I don't know but I believe as a proudly and obsessively educational and ecclesiastic language I'd think i would have changed very little beyond the addition of new words when necessary. The entire purpose besides being a sacrosanct language of God and the pinnacle of culture and human development as its practitioners see it, is to maintain that conservative link with the golden past or a more holy past and to allow constant and reliable communication and understanding between practitioners separated by space and time.

I know (I think) for instance that written Persian today is almost the exact same as Written Persian a thousand years ago. Likewise with classical written Arabic.
>>
File: Tenative World Map #1.jpg (2MB, 5816x4191px) Image search: [Google]
Tenative World Map #1.jpg
2MB, 5816x4191px
>>50143347

It'd help posting the image, wouldn't it.
>>
File: WEST MAP MOUNTAIN REFERENCE.jpg (2MB, 3000x4191px) Image search: [Google]
WEST MAP MOUNTAIN REFERENCE.jpg
2MB, 3000x4191px
>>50143356
>>50143347

Going to switch it from a horizontal himalayas to a rocky mountains situation. Five second crop and turn around reference as pic. Figure the two tectonic plates will be the northern half with the southern half smashing up against it and riding in a North-east direction. Hence why mountain chains will extend from that rocky mt spine up across towards the shallower North-East mountains. Eastern side of continents always tending to be warmer and wetter on the same latitude (See US SouthEast and China South-East vs same latitude Sahara/Arabia) should allow it that on that 20-36 degree north region in the West continent it'll be more Southern/middle China parallel to more arid pseudo-India in the East across that sea.
>>
File: Worldmaptectonics.png (2MB, 4500x3000px) Image search: [Google]
Worldmaptectonics.png
2MB, 4500x3000px
>>50143356
Some of the mountains feel like why are they there? How did the tectonic movement form those mountains and how does the plate movement fit into the puzzle of how stuff is formed. Google for the RL map of plates and their movement and think how ravines and mountains form. Remember some of the mountain lines like carpathia are bloody fucking old and there really isn't no real direct "okay that is why they were formed" reason. But you have to go millions of years into the past.

One thing to also remember is that rivers don't have to go more or less straight from mountains to sea/lakes. They do zigzag a lot IRL.

Hopefully my old WIP map showing tectonic lines and how they move helps.
>>
>Have nations
>Know which nations border which
>Know what the world looks like in your mind's eye
>Can't put it down in a map maker because it seems off
>>
File: 3290490249024902.jpg (2MB, 3421x2693px) Image search: [Google]
3290490249024902.jpg
2MB, 3421x2693px
>>50143545

I thought I did enough zig-zagging with the rivers, though I could certainly increase it.

I did look up the basics of tectonics and understand it to be that mountains:
-Generally form in coastal areas, or were coastal areas in a more distant past (Appalachians being old and weathered that way), in this case they are formed from a land mass subsuming the oceanic plate
-Land to land as in the case of the Himalayas, the Pyrenees, the Swiss Alps, the mountain chain of Turkey to Iran.
-Volcanic, in which case they have to be on a ridge-zone a'la Japan or Indonesia or Hawaii.

In the West's Northern part I kind of went hogwild on mountains because I felt all that huge empty space felt weird for me, but I can agree that I need to rethink that there. They never felt right to me.

In the east my tectonic thinking was as followed. Admittedly I had to shape some of the mountains in that center area because I felt odd if the pseudo-Arabian desert (marked letter A) would be so close and easy to travel to the pseudo Gangetic Plains (marked G). That sharp right angle though does come across as off-putting.
>>
>>50143678
I have kinda similar problem.

>Have the world drafted
>Mountain lines and everything
>Have vague idea what kind of people live where
>Still have great problems on making those nations

I think I will have to go with Grain into Golds method of nation building.
>>
>>50144466

Don't worry about putting super neat and tidy lines down for the nations just yet. I'd think that the modern notion of super clear cut delineated borders is a fairly modern phenomenon.

To be honest I've never even heard of an period pre 1700s map that delineated borders between nations.

Rather than that, just put the name of your nation in question in the vague territory they own.

Later on you can draw in borders
>>
>>50144505
Problem isn't really on drawing the borders, but to think culturally different populations. When you have earth scaled world to fill it becomes bit hard.

The goal is not HRE level fuck ton of states, but Belgium sized or bit bigger.

I am most likely just going to put the nation names on the map. Most of the times borders do follow rivers and such.
>>
>>50144603
I must say that the Ancient Greece threads have been a treasure for inspiration. A lot of neat pictures to save and use as models for different cultures.
>>
Hey, I know this isnt quite the right place for this, but im developing this desert that the players are having to escort a group of settlers through.

Near the center of the desert is a large kingdom that is mostly middle eastern inspired. They are pretty developed already, but what I do need is interesting stuff from the scrub lands at the edge of the desert all the way to the center.

What kinds of monsters would be cool to fight in a desert besides giant spiders and sphinx and stuff? What kids of quests would isolated desert towns have? How do isolated desert towns even work, aside from being attached to a source of water like an oasis.

Thanks for help in advance!
>>
>>50144692
Jackals, Djiin, Dust Devils, 40 Thieves style bandits, Sandworms, etc.
>>
>>50144603

In that case I'd recommend trying for a tiering of priority/necessity of depicting in terms of polities. Think about how an HRE map doesn't depict individual knights fiefdoms, and then how a map of 13th century Europe won't depict the individual baronies of the HRE (save beyond perhaps the name of a major kingdom like Bavaria, Swabia, Saxony). Then think how a map of the world in the 13th century won't depict any subdivisions of the HRE.

Your map is aiming to address international affairs on a global scale, so you are not interested in every little tiny principality, tribe, clan, barony. What you do to solve that issue is to figure out the collective demonyms that those varied polities in a region fall under:

The individual baronies/duchies/fiefdoms in Bavaria have the collective demonym of Bavaria
The individual clans/tribes/cities of the Latin league have the demonym of "latin"
The individual city-states of the Greeks have the demonym of Hellenes/Hellas.

This helps, I'd think, your reader or players in being able to focus on the bigger picture and not have to remember all these tiny little polities. Think about how in Game of Thrones you have a dizzying array of vassals nobody can keep track of but that they can all be summarized as Men of the North, or Lannisters or Tullys or Tyrells.
>>
Not sure how popular Matt Colville is in /wbg/, but his latest videos about politics seem relevant to >>50116207 's question template.
>>
With Inkarnate, is there a fill tool I am missing? Its annoying having to fill in this continent after drawing the drawing the outline.
>>
>>50148551
I don't believe there is. After all, you would want to draw different colours on the same landmass. Use bigger brush.
>>
>>50148588
I'm not doing biomes yet, I simply trying to create a landmass at the moment.
>>
In a classical era themed kitchen sink fantasy setting, what woukd be some good middle eastern and sea-faring cultures to draw ideas from? I've got Romans, Egyptians, Berbers, and the main human civilization of the setting was very Arabian Nights, but I'm not sure if that'd fit well with the rest.
>>
>>50148622
I get it. Well, no. I also think now you approached the task wrong. You were supposed to draw the general shapes of continents and then sculp it for more precision, not draw an outline and fill it.
>>
File: phoenicians99.jpg (30KB, 488x187px) Image search: [Google]
phoenicians99.jpg
30KB, 488x187px
>>50148644
Try the Phonecians, they were the first real naval power
>>
File: Nubians.jpg (364KB, 2305x2337px) Image search: [Google]
Nubians.jpg
364KB, 2305x2337px
>>50148644
If you already have Egypt, throw in the Nubians.
Rivals of Egypt from down the Nile, even conquered Egypt for a good long while.
>>
>>50148551
Don't use Inkarnate unless you're still at the I-don't-give-a-fuck drafting stage.
>>
>>50148775
That might work. I need some aesthetic influences for my Dwarves, who are a heavily mercantile races with a strong naval presence. They come from a mountainous archipelagos to the north, and trade and wealth is the cornerstone of their beliefs, to the point where even warfare is a tradable commodity, with their military being made up of mercenaries and privateers.
>>
>>50149248
Well I kind of am and it doesn't matter now as I persevered and have something I can work with.
>>
>>50149266
Except it'll look shit.
>>
>>50149273
I dont need it look good, I just want something that vaguely resembles what I have in my head so I can think about how all the areas fit together.
>>
File: 1477140592760.jpg (114KB, 1000x500px) Image search: [Google]
1477140592760.jpg
114KB, 1000x500px
page 10 save rave

Tell me about your small races
>>
>>50151924
The Fair Folk are in a pretty shit place. Some of them live underground, the biggest underground kingdom is in Schwarzwald, where they mostly help the numerous princesses and princes find true love and do fairy tale shit.

The main place where fairies live is in Tír na Gráinneog (Long story). It is a place covered in mist and sailors generally can't go there. The Faerie Queen lives there and dreams of the day when her people can be reunited.

As for Hobbits, well they live in the standard Shire near the main kingdom.
>>
>>50151924
I decided that there used to be only one race, Littlefolk, and that through a series of disagreements they began to fragment and over time became the different varieties of Gnomes and Halflings.
>>
>>50149258
Yep.

Damn good navigators and economically dominant in the Mediterranean.

Do you happen to have a Carthage analogue already?
Gotta have some rivalries for wars and such.
>>
>>50151924
Closest I got is goblins, and they're not really small. Unless you count Dwarves.
>>
>>50152539
The Dwarves aren't completely unified. There's competition between the various holds, great houses, and guilds. Common practice is to hire privateers to attack competitors. This practice has its own rules though, pirates do not attack non-combatants, and hold the captuted ship until negotiations for ransom and compensation for injured parties on both sides are completed, which they then return all goods and captives.
>>
File: Carthage Harbour.jpg (802KB, 1600x1066px) Image search: [Google]
Carthage Harbour.jpg
802KB, 1600x1066px
>>50152686
Was asking after Carthage not your Phonecian Dwarves

Meant rivalry in that you already had a Rome so Carthage would give them a nice rival to fight against
>>
>>50152819
As in Punic Empire Carthage? No. My not!Romans are in a weird spot, as they are an artificial offshoot of the main human civ, instead of developing naturally.
>>
>>50153001
Camoooon!
Giant elephant tanks!
>>
File: Wtf.png (2MB, 1030x779px) Image search: [Google]
Wtf.png
2MB, 1030x779px
Not sure if this is the right place to ask. But does anyone know how to stop Inkarnate maps from deteriorating. Picture related.
>>
File: Old Beardo.jpg (67KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
Old Beardo.jpg
67KB, 320x320px
>>50149258
For Dwarves, try Babylon.

C'mon, look at Nebuchadnezzar's beard and tell me there's no Dwarf blood in him!
>>
File: Teldrasa 2.png (4MB, 1026x1522px) Image search: [Google]
Teldrasa 2.png
4MB, 1026x1522px
>>50153281
Finally finished the northern part of a map and want to stick it to the southern bit. But the more I save and loaded, the more dark and more 'deteriorated' the map would become.

I need them to be on similar levels of deterioration. And to add to the original post, rather than just stop deterioration. is there a way to remove it?

Pic related: unfinished combination of the two
>>
>>50153225
The Romans ride rhinos already.
>>
>>50153338
Rhino vs Elephant war.

The Romans need someone to fight with, otherwise they just settle down and start collapsing with shitty leaders and inefficient bureaucracy
>>
>>50153384
Why do you think I made them Romans?

Its an empire of alchemically created Tolkien-esque elves without the goody parts, since they were created by man, not gods. They've got the rest of the humans after the fall to the west, Skeksis birdmen coming in from the southeast, one of the few known dragons chilling in the mountains to the east, and a goblin slave rebellion movement powered by necromancy to worry about.
>>
>>50151924
I probably talk about the Aedda too much right now, but for some reason they're the race I'm developing the hardest right now.

Bout 2-3 feet tall standing on hind legs (tend to move on all 4's). Barely have functional hands, and as a result have barely developed complex tool use. Couple that with a drastically short lifespan (because they're basically 1 step above enlightened animals), and you get a race looked down upon by humanity for being adorable bumble fuck desert hicks.

They've largely escaped human colonialism due to their home-world being a sun scorched hellhole devoid of much of worth (to humans), and its hard to subjugate cute things.
>>
>>50153818
Ah, my apologies didn't know it was intentional. Carry on friend.
>>
>>50154122
Didn't start that way, but when I was making them, I went "Wait, that sounds like late-empire Rome" and the thought of Centurion elves made me happy, so I went with it.

The rhinos is because fuck yeah rhinos.

And if anyone is following this line in the thread, before you ask, yes, the Egyptians are crocodilemen.
>>
Alright so what are some ways to spice up an island nation that's just been through bring dragged through a world war 1 style conflict, followed by an occupation, all leading up to a successful coup?

Right now I'm focusing on fleshing out the various factions vying for control. Mostly the monarchists looking to reestablish the throne, and the various sub factions amount those who supported the coup. Good deal of continental interference.
>>
>>50157149
>Royalists
>Royalists that support occupiers
>Republicans
>Republicans that support occupiers
>Socialist wankers that really don't like others
>Fascist wankers that really don't like others
>Poor sods that don't really care and just want to farm potatoes.
>>
>>50158013
Well I figured the occupiers' more or less token forces left during the coup, as they'd never get the support (political or financial) necessary to stay and deal with it. Though I can also see them keeping a vested interest (making sure the victors are on your side is basically a cheaper and easier way to get the same security they were getting out of the occupation).

What I know now is that the islands' military (if you can call it that) transitional government is woefully ill equipped for any of this (which is where players enter the equation at least at first). So plenty of armed groups of conflicting political motivations sounds good to me.

Current government get's the capital island, but is fumbling its attempts at reigning the rest of the country back to order. So several of these factions might just get their own little "city states".
>>
File: Durulz.png (49KB, 261x239px) Image search: [Google]
Durulz.png
49KB, 261x239px
>>50151924

I really haven't thought about having small races other than the normal dorfs and gnomes. Personally I am bit iffy about them, but you can have few that are normal. Then some random stuff like rabbit folk or similar could be done.

This as whole is big question that I still have. I want the setting to be realistic so no gigantic fantasy pauldrons or high magic, but same time I kinda want to add more beastmen races and other animal people. But then I don't just want to litter the world with animal people X and Y. This is why I want the different human nations to feel different so that barbarians that border some "civilized" nation are not just barbarians, but that they have their own fibe and feeling.
>>
>>50116207
I'm just gonna choose one country and answer these questions

The Grand Protectorate of Siernal Reaches

It's a Protectorate, a tight union of kingdoms that all are bound by contract and oath to a central office of the Protector, to whom they sacrifice certain rights (such as free raising of armies, declaring wars, certain taxation and tarif changes...) in exchange for a.) the security of their rivals also not having those rights and b.) the propserity of the union with the other Siernal kingdoms.

See above. The Protector gives unclaimed land (such as from a died out bloodine, exiled families or unfairly disputed land) to kings, who have a complex relationship with aristocracy and the other states that changes localy

There is local law of tradition everywhere that gets overruled by royal or protectoral law in certain cases. Death penalties are supposed to be only given through the latter two, and are always able to be disputed at king or protector, but that's more how it SHOULD work than how it works

There is currently a push for a stronger Protector for more unified and succesful international politics. That doesn't sit well with everybody of course
>>
File: DORF.jpg (169KB, 2000x2757px) Image search: [Google]
DORF.jpg
169KB, 2000x2757px
Anyone want to share their Dwarf words or language, or any invented language of their settings? As much as a excuse to post some of my dwarf words as it is as a point of discussion (recently found a lost document I'd lost a while ago of a bunch of dwarf words I had came up with, so I started to build on it)
>>
>>50158970
I think the best way to limit the amount of beastfolk is to come up with a good reason for why they exist that either cannot be duplicated, or just happened to work out well this one time.

Radically different environmental conditions or some such that wouldn't necessarily happen enough to sprout forth to many. And this is something I mostly advocate for with any non-humans in general, but you have to make them properly not human. Especially for games that gets tricky because you have to balance being not human with still being human enough to play.

>>50159198
is that some crotch beard I'm seeing?
>>
>>50153308
Nice
>>
Hey /tg/, I could use a quick run-down on cool middle-eastern myths and legends to draw from to flavour a fantasy setting I'm thinking of working on. Everything from cool heroic legends to monsters and magic, if you have any examples. I already know that ghouls or "ghūl" originate from some of those legends, so that's handy for some classic undead flavour.
>>
>>50144727
Dont know how I could have forgotten Djiin, thanks anon. I think thats just the extra flavor I was looking for.
>>
>>50151924
Halflings are one of the "menfolk" races (humans, halflings, dwarves and half-giants) who were given a boon for their aid to the gods during the early days of the world. The boon granted to halflings was the secret of eternal life. What this actually means is that halflings had knowledge of how to bind a soul to the world, creating an ancestor spirit. This would be done by binding the soul to the bones of it's deceased body. What this ends up looking like to everyone else though is creepy necromancy, which is why few cared when they were steamrolled by one of the old empires, leading them to their current scattered/nomadic state. They kept the ancestor worship though, and preserve bones of relatives in jewelry and decorations, believing it serves as anchors for their ancestors' spirits, and have celebrations involving "summoning" dead family in rituals where they possess a volunteer and spend their borrowed time getting krunk. Whether this is genuine magic is sketchy, as it's said halflings lost most of their old knowledge and just like having excuses to party and drink irresponsibly.

Goblins I haven't fleshed out all that much beyond anatomy. They are similar but incompatible with menfolk; scent is their strongest sense and plays a large role in their culture, though cave goblins (kobolds) prioritize hearing. They have a short gestation and litters of 2-4 young that mature in 5 years but only live 30-50, depending on subrace. They're toe-walkers which leads to even the big ones like bugbears moving eerily silently.

Cont.
>>
>>50160116 (You)
Culturally, goblins are mostly matriarchal with powerful females having multiple husbands, and the various subraces are spread across almost the entire world in a bunch of different shapes and sizes. Bugbears are far south in the cold climates and adapted as such, cave goblins share territory with dwarves and have been in conflict with them ever since they both found the area, hobgoblins rule the eastern badlands under a deified, reincarnating god-queen and have varying relations with the humans, therians (were-people) and silkmen (insectoid hivemind) nearby. Forest goblins I intend to be chaotic little shits with a vaguely nihilistic religion that demands sacrifices for some reason (cannibalistic elements maybe?). Probably gonna give them a bunch of small subcultures and make the chaotic assholes the "kill 'em all" culture for PCs to wail on.

Gnomes I got virtually nothing on. Either they don't exist, or live in a different realm with the elves and are a subrace of trolls
>>
What would happen if you had no seasons? What would happen if it was always hot, sometimes rained, and never changed?

I was thinking that wheat stalks might grow and die and grow all at the same time as each other. But I know nothing.
>>
>>50160795
I don't think plants would grow and die. They wouldn't evolve to adapt to cold, so I imagine there would be more multi-year plants and way less carrots (Assuming I understand correctly why carrots are growing carrots). There would be no winter, but no summer either, so uninhabitably cold places and permafrost would start earlier.

Plants would probably adapt to flower in different times, to not compete with each other unnecessary.

You will still have night and day cycle with all its effects.
>>
>>50151924
Ha, what book are those descriptions from?
>>
>>50161352
You've made me realise that the plants and animals and all their machinations are as easily changeable as any other part of the seasons.
>>
File: MaleOrcExpressions.png (31KB, 500x700px) Image search: [Google]
MaleOrcExpressions.png
31KB, 500x700px
Tell me about your orcs /wbg/. Do you like them as marauding rape monsters or noble savage dindu nuffins? Have you come up with your own totally original not!culture variants? Why do you favor your flavor? Do you hate them altogether and exile them to nothingness? Are you just a racist human lover and banish all nonhumans from your setting?

Super ultra bonus round: tell me of your dwarves and how they're not all Gimli clones
>>
>>50163191
Evilness is innate to the idea of orcs. Brutal savagery at best. If your orcs are dindus, your orcs are shit. Although you might've made them good anyway through sheer writing power. You can't make orcs """unique""" by subverting one of their core tropes -- subvert it, and they're not orcs. They're just green Black People.
>>
>>50163191
goblins are my setting's dwarves, and they're paranoid under dwellers and the most industrial advanced. They wear suits of armor closer to diving suits when they go into unfamiliar areas.

So there, not gimli clones
>>
>>50163244
I would argue corruption is the core concept for orcs. It was so in Tolkien, and the popular dindus like warcraft orcs and orsimer share at least that with their predecessor. Whether it's a plague they fight against or something they happily allow to consume them, the concept of orcs is strongly tied to being a perversion of some sort
>>
>>50163191
I can't actually think of a way to put in Orcs yet. I'm considering leaving them out even though I have most of the fantasy kitchen sink in. But I might come up with something later.

Anyway, as for the Dorfs, there are three distinct clans.

One you could call the traders, they interact with the human world and are concerned with making money and spreading out to different areas. To them being an Accountant is a highly valued position as you are responsible for basically every Dwarfs livelyhood. Them setting up a mine in a land is really no different from a company setting up a factory in the real world, it's actually considered a good thing (most of the time) if they do set up there. They can mine minerals people normaly couldn't get and gladly will negotiate tax with the ruler and trade. In demeanor they're probably the most "Gimli-like" of the Dwarf clans (though I imagine them having North England accents instead of Scottish ones). These are the dwarfs most people interact with and probably have the biggest population.

The second clan is the oldest and they all live in a single city. They are deeply religious and often would consult the Gods and Ancestors before any major action. Their city is where the High King sits and it is considered to be a place of great religious significance for the Dwarfs (due to it being the last standing of the "great cities" after the BBEG fucked the world). Most Dwarf priests come from here, and often go to the other clans to preach the good word. Besides that however they're very insular, few humans or any other race are allowed in. In demeanor they're much more serious and authoritative, and few even abstain from alcohol. Tradition and family ties are a big thing for them, entire clans living under the same roof.
>>
>>50163307
That less so. Looking at it from a narrative role -- orcs are bad guys who do bad things in a savage manner. This is who they "are"; it's what they effectively *do*. The rest is stuff that might also be narratively important (corruption), but that isn't their role. It can be safely swapped out without creating something that basically isn't an orc.
>>
>>50163191
Their a particular flavor of human, offshoot from many moons ago. They worship a dead god called the Great Green God or the Green Father or any other number of names. His body lies underneath/on/is their homelands, and many a strange beast comes forth from it, most usually large green boars with nasty attitudes. Orcs (Which is really a national name for their largest nation, which is roman-esque) hunt these things as a spiritual-type tradition/ritual, and the more tribal of their kind wear the boar's heads, while the citygoers usually have boar tusks made into some kind of fancy headwear that may somehow resemble a boar. Military always has them in their helemets, which completely conceal their face.

The Great Green Father is normally made in the likeness of a gigantic green man with the head of a boar. Orcs came to worship him as he grew in power when he was alive. He wasn't quite a true god, but a very powerful spirit of the world, who became so powerful by fighting, killing, and consuming other spirits around him. Once it became obvious he was gonna be a problem (Around the time he ate a couple mountains), the surrounding land spirits began to conspire so as to overthrow him.

He would not have his enemies take his power, and surely after he was dead his beloved followers would be killed also, so he commanded them to battle him, so they could take his power instead. He was an honourable god, so he did not hold back, but he was killed nonetheless.

The three brothers that struck the killing blow were immortalized, and because they drank the blood of the Great Green God, they received a greater portion of his power. One grew tall and strong, one grew wiry but enduring, and the third one I haven't decided yet.

That's about it. The orcs as a whole didn't get any kind of supernatural powers from him (Besides those who drink his blood or taste his flesh), but they did inherit his fighting spirit.
>>
>>50163404
The third clan is really more of a college. They are the artificers and scholars. While most Dwarfs are skilled at smithing these take it to another level. They craft great clockwork contraptions and black powder weapons that...well to be honest never really make it past the prototype stage. Here dwarf scholars practice and toil away to make things better, to divine the stars (considered to be outright blasphemy by the second Dwarf clan). Here most of the Dwarf machines of warfare are made and they're tolerated by the other clans because they're just that good at making them. In demeanor they're much more open to joking and having fun than other dwarfs, but they're not really found near civilized areas due to...well having a fascination with black powder.

So what do you think? They're still pretty stereotypical but I guess I just like those things about Dwarfs.
>>
File: Ferengi.jpg (15KB, 538x358px) Image search: [Google]
Ferengi.jpg
15KB, 538x358px
>>50163409
Virtually anything can be put into the role of bad guys who do bad things. People seem to like putting elves of all races into the role of late.

I don't think any race can have "good" or "bad" as their core defining feature; people will without fail always try to subvert it, yet for any (good) re-imagining there's still a core adjective that stays recognizable, and I say that's more valuable a feature than their moral alignment.

Personally, I'd like to see some evil dwarves. Angry, greedy midgets that boil out of the earth like bugs to take/cheat you out of your stuff could prove amusing. Though thinking about it, I guess star trek already did that
>>
>>50163719
>Virtually anything can be put into the role of bad guys who do bad things
This is true, but irrelevant.
>People seem to like putting elves of all races into the role of late.
This is not true; I said "savagery" for a reason. Elves, when evil, are never savage. They're the posterboys(girls?) of civilised evil -- think Nazis.
>I don't think any race can have "good" or "bad" as their core defining feature
I disagree. With orcs specifically, I think savage brutality is a core feature; this isn't necessarily evil, but it is deeply connected.

What re-imaginings do you think are good, and what did they keep the same?

Evil dwarfs were done well in Lord of the Rings, done interestingly in Warhammer and done best in Dorf Fort.
>>
>>50163404
>>50163467
I wonder how the first clan gets by once they strip everything valuable out of a mining area. Do they just leave decimated lands/economies in their wake or do they have some methodology to prevent a plague of dried up mining towns? Also, how exactly do they get minerals no one else can? Magic, tech, or third option?

I like the link between the second and third clan, with "divining the stars" being a point of contention. Does that link into greater conflicts over sky/earth worship or some such thing among the two? I think general elaboration on the two religions, how they relate, conflict, origins, etc would prove interesting.
>>
>>50163191
Orcs in my world were a cult of man thousands of years ago that rejected magic, which infuriated the god of magic and spells who cut them off from being able to cast arcane spells.

Then the god of war and conflict took pity on them and gave the whole cult his divine boon. After generations, they slowly changed into taller, stronger, more bestial men with the inability to cast spells, but a natural magic resistance.

They are mostly native American inspired with their culture. Spiritual, but wild. Dress in feathers and live in small isolated camps with a loose tribal structure.

How did I do /wbg/?
>>
File: 1449732034600.jpg (96KB, 802x353px) Image search: [Google]
1449732034600.jpg
96KB, 802x353px
>>50163191
They're the race that set my world in motion.

Pig orcs swept in from the Northeast, putting anyone who didn't surrender to the sword while absorbing the others into their armies. They're pretty welcome to anyone useful, so by the time they reached the last human cities, it was a hodgepodge of orcs, ogres, giants, goblins, kobolds, dwarves, gnomes, halflings, humans, and elves.

The last free humans basically loaded up on ships and sailed as far South as they could until they reached shores where no one had ever heard of orcs.

Dwarves are pretty standard fare. None of them made it out of the invasion with the refugee fleet. As a result, they're pretty much either found working in orc occupied cities as slaves, or living as vassals in designated mountain holds, disarmed and shaven.

Anyone left in the old world is now having their culture slowly orcified.
>>
>>50163864
>This is not true; I said "savagery" for a reason. Elves, when evil, are never savage. They're the posterboys(girls?) of civilised evil -- think Nazis.
Well I agree on both those points, but I would say savage elves are on the rise in popularity, at least among the degenerates on /tg/

>What re-imaginings do you think are good, and what did they keep the same?
TES orsimer from earlier example. But TES mer in general I believe are all handled well
>>
>>50163944
>>50163191
My Dwarves are mostly Gimli clones though. They are split into two factions though, one that wants the dwarven king to basically join the UN, and the other who wants dwarves to burrow even deeper into the earth and ignore the politics of Elves and Men. Still, not super unique.
>>
>>50163983
>I would say savage elves are on the rise in popularity,
You mean those weird amazon-elves? I think that's just a fetish-fuelled extension of wood elves.

I don't know shit about ES.
>>
>>50163959
What set THEM in motion though?

Also:
>disarmed and shaven.
>shaving a dwarf is a mark of subjugation
kek
>>
>>50163873
Dwarfs can go much MUCH deeper than a human mine can. Half of it it technology and know how and half of it is Dwarf physiology being better suited to the underground they aren't as affected by low oxygen or pressure and can go longer than a human. Dwarfs also don't just mine they grow crops "Mushrooms" and harvest meat "from big mole-like creatures". Dwarfs don't like abandoning mines, if the minerals become scare they generally leave it over to farming (dwarf shroom crops grow all year round so it's good to have during winter) or perhaps magma "farming" or military use. The latter two need more food than usual so if there are farms near the human settlement.

Also, all Dwarfs have the same religion more or less. I suppose "divining" was the wrong word. It's less astrology and more astronomy, and the second clan dislikes looking skyward because a good Dwarf belongs in the ground. I guess I could make a sect of a Dwarfish star god/ess that they worship along with their gods.

With their political system though (Three kings as representatives of each clan and a High King) I feel they need to somewhat get along. Well, tolerate each other.
>>
>>50163191
My orcs are a peaceful porcine tribal people that have barely developed past basic survival. In the wild, they form into small hunter gatherer groups, foraging off the land; but most commonly, orcs are encountered on farms where they are raised for their meat, a dish known as "p'orc".

My dwarves are the Phoenician dwarves posted earlier in the thread.
>>
>>50163191
I've got no orcs, but I've got people whose god died and its rotting corpse is poisoning their souls, driving them violently insane. Less orcs and more Darkspawn from Dragon Age thing.
>>
File: 1449723482870.png (492KB, 704x368px) Image search: [Google]
1449723482870.png
492KB, 704x368px
>>50164028
The why of the orc invasion isn't really something I've expanded on. It could end up just being a charismatic leader uniting them against their wealthy neighbors. As lazy as it may sound, the focus of my setting is on the human refugees trying to carve out a home in the South, so it's something that I haven't given too much attention to.
>>
So I have this premise for a game I want to make. It's essentially the premise of XCOM 2 or Half-Life 2, where there was a big alien invasion, organization made to stop alien invasion, organization failed and aliens took over. The difference is that the organization, now the Resistance, comprised of agents like those of Overwatch. It's like a supers game but not quite.

The world, having now integrated with aliens and alien culture, has become on the surface actually quite bright and optimistic with advancements in technology and sciences at the aid of alien discoveries and tech.

My question is what sorts of underground elements would exist in this sort of world. Should it be like a police state? Maybe some places are and some aren't? What kinds of crime would exist? Obviously the Resistance exists, publicly lauded as terrorists and vigilantes. What other sorts of things could?
>>
>>50164025
TES lore is complicated and intricate and I'm likely terrible at explaining it, but the jist of it is that all mer(elves) were spirit-god thingies that got tricked into mortal form by the god who created the world. They have led a long history and diversified into a bunch of cultures/races (high elves, wood elves, dark elves, orcs, even dwarves), but in the end they're all elves. Some asshole elves are mad about the whole mortality thing and wanna peace out back to spirit form and have to fuck up the world to do it.

But on orsimer: their ancestors had a political upheaval orchestrated by one of the evil(ish) gods Boethiah. One of the good(ish) gods Trinimac tried to stop it, and gotten eaten by Boethiah for his trouble. He was later literally shit out, and became the angry(ish) god Malacath. All of Trinimac's former followers were warped into what is now called orcs. Culturally they're somewhere between violent savages and dindu nuffins, leading fairly tribal lives in stronghold villages scattered about, though also have a nation-state which seems to struggle with foreign relations and gets sacked rather often. They've also got top quality smithing work and have a metal named after them. Another interesting tidbit is that the orcs are divided on who Malacath actually is. Some believe he is their former god warped forever and follow his ways, others believe he is an imposter and that the Trinimac form still lives somewhere, and thus forsake Malacath and his teachings.

TES lore is all quite interesting stuff. You should check it out.
>>
File: GaryGygaxApproves.jpg (38KB, 601x423px) Image search: [Google]
GaryGygaxApproves.jpg
38KB, 601x423px
>>50164071
Good stuff. Could definitely do more with the religion though
>>
>>50164392
Religions is something I need to figure out in my world. I have some ideas but they're fractured. I'm thinking of working on the creation myth next.
>>
>>50164159
I meant more what made them
>>
>>50116207
A pseudo Roman Republic, a vaguely near eastern empire analogue, Sea People pig-orcs and some other things maybe. Might add a not!Venice and a couple feudal Kingdoms.
I've either not thought too much (lack of research on my part.)
As above.
Well, people always thinks that they'd be better rules than the current ones...
It's a campaign setting, so all the nations are both cordial and friendly yet also hate eachother and are on the brink of war. Quantum Diplomacy.
>Meta question: Your favourite drinkable fluid?
Coca Cola, but Cider if I desire to become intoxicated.
>>
Could communism and a caste system exist in the same society? Seems to me like that could work out fine and dandy, but I may just be terribly ignorant on how one or the other actually works
>>
>>50164644
At first I was writing up a post to make fun of you, but the answer is going to be a kinda from me.

The reason behind having a caste system is that everyone needs to do their part for the greater good. Farmers have to farm so that merchants can merch, kings keep the balance, and priests make sure we dont forget the gods how to do it.

Communism also has a similar goal, get everyone working for one another and not for themselves. The problem here is that Communism does this by trying to get rid of division of class rather than accepting how it works.

So the hybrid would look like a group of laws and rules that everyone buys into, including their sometimes soul crushing place in the caste, all for the greater good of their fellow man. You would have to have a population that loves communism as much as a religion.

Thats my 2cents atleast.
>>
>>50164708
Thank you for an honest answer. I can work with this.
>>
>>50164287
Could I get some help with this one?
>>
>>50163191
Just like >>50163944 my not!Orcs are actually a race of "divine casters", able to draw power from what they worship...it just happens that the cult of War and Strenght is a very easy one to propagate...they too tend to organize themselves in tribes of similar/complementing cults...
Dwarves on the other hand are a mix of "minor deities" and not!Orcs with cults related to caves and stuff, they are not a proper race but they organize themselves in a "burrows network", with small groups or single persons living in their own corners...
>>
File: IDontKnowThereforeAliens.jpg (4KB, 125x109px) Image search: [Google]
IDontKnowThereforeAliens.jpg
4KB, 125x109px
>>50164287
>>50165166
There could be a lot of questionable genetic/cybernetic augmentation done by the alien overlords, under the guise of "improving public health". The underground could include members that somehow avoided/uninstalled these augments

The aliens could be siphoning a seemingly unimportant material off-world that may actually be incredibly valuable to a civilization at the right technological level

The invasion could've in truth started much earlier and sleeeper agents/doppleganger could be dotted all over the human population

Look into some conspiracy nut stuff, scientology and the nation of islam for inspiration. Make all those whackjob theories actually true
>>
>>50163944
Decent outline, but too unspecific to be very interesting
>>
File: :(.png (4KB, 597x444px) Image search: [Google]
:(.png
4KB, 597x444px
People don't care enough about how things are, but care too much about how things came to be.

y/n?
>>
>>50165353
That's very police state-y and im not sure if I want to go that route. I know there is already cybernetics, genetic augmentations, and psionic/alien space magic because the Resistance also employs many of these methods, i'm also thinking that a chunk of the original organization went turncoat and became a new arm of enforcement for the aliens too.
>>
>>50165501
I think /wbg/ prefers to talk about how things are more than how they came to be. I believe the two are inextricably tied and presenting one without the other makes the the subject seem hollower and less interesting
>>
File: ThorLikesIt.jpg (72KB, 378x363px) Image search: [Google]
ThorLikesIt.jpg
72KB, 378x363px
>>50163458
>>
>>50165397
Well, i just gave the long and short. im new to wbg, do you guys really care for the long explanation of things?
>>
>>50165746
I do at least. More than three sentences, less than three posts is a good metric. If it's particularly interesting someone will (maybe) ask to elaborate further
>>
>>50165634
Ayyy thanks man. Shitty that the good/semi-good stuff I come up with comes to me randomly and not when I'm actively trying to work out kinks and shit, but I'll take what I can get.
>>
Gentlemen, how do I go full Kirkbride without needing to destroy myself first?
>>
>>50167217
you ask for too much
>>
>>50167299
But I'm too poor to afford the drugs and textbooks on Hindu mythology to do it.
>>
>>50168617
Sell your ass for drugs.
>>
File: map.jpg (262KB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
map.jpg
262KB, 3264x2448px
Barebones right now, any suggestions before I start adding other things like mountains, rivers, islands, and such?
>>
>>50168617
>textbooks on Hindu mythology
I have a link for you:
http://sacred-texts.com/hin/index.htm
>>
File: cray.jpg (194KB, 1023x653px) Image search: [Google]
cray.jpg
194KB, 1023x653px
Hey /wbg/, I've been thinking about making a setting using pic related, a dated map of our world from long ago, but using that as an accurate representation of the world. But I'm not sure if this would come off as lazy.

Either way, I thought that I would bring this map here (I have a giant version of this one that's 25mb that can zoom in far enough to read all the names), and spitball a few ideas about it, and ask if anyone has an inspirational word or two to chip in.

A general (very rough) idea of what this setting would look like is that a lot of the cultures on this world would be ported over, but with mythical beings existing, and some human populations being replaced with counterparts chosen from Dungeons and Dragons and Pathfinder. Something like Native American tribes sharing the continent with Wood Elves, or Dragonborn living as part of a Chinese nation that's ruled by dynastic dragons.

tl;dr I'm making a literal Not!Earth with DnD races, does anyone have any ideas on how to put more of an interesting spin on this? I feel like it could come off as really fun to play on but boring if not done right.
>>
>>50163191
Orcs(and goblinoids): Escaped slaves who live in the wilderness. Raid human kingdom for gear and to free other slaves. Modeled after 300's Spartans aesthetically.

Dwarves: Inventors and bankers, have a lot of pull in society due to their technological expertise
>>
>>50119214 here again.
After contributing to the thread and looking around for more inspiration, I'm still stuck on what to do with my Lightning culture. I don't know of any obvious tropes I've missed or other things, so if anyone has ideas I'm willing to hear them.

I think I'll also go with some of the suggestions I got in this thread, namely Japanese Steam/Mist Frogs and Canyon Golems that will be a mix between Ancient Israelites, Ancient Greeks, and Native Mexicans. So thanks for those.
>>
>>50171011
Look all i have to say is you're going with Chinese culture for the air people and using the Japanese bastardization of their mythology to describe them.
>>
>>50171025
Tengu is just for the visualization. It provides a pretty decent picture of the specific kind of birdfolk I'm referencing in the same way Charr and Khajiit do for catfolk.
>>
>>50171097
I know. Just wanted to point out that your doing that ever so popular thing people do when they make fantasy china. Make fantasy japan wear chinese clothing.
>>
>>50171131
I'm actually more familiar with Chinese mythology than Japanese (I even speak Chinese), so I would expect its more authentic Chinese than not.
>>
>>50168904
If you have a specific group you're intending to run this for, consider pitching it to them and ask them for some of those ideas. I think it could turn out really well, but if you get your group's support, then they'll be able to help "do it right".
>>
>>50165825
Ok anon, here I go.

The Orishmen were a cult of humans that viewed magic as a perversion of the natural world. Not only did they abstain from using it, they preached against it, attacked priests, and created mobs to take down local spell casters. The god of magic, Amaga, could take no more of this and descended down to the land of Sergo to confront these men, assuming his godly form would terrify the Orishmen, instead, threw rocks and yelled curses to the god. Aghast, Amaga used his divine might, and stole magic away from the Orishmen, having their actions here permanently remove them, as well as any of their descendants, from the world of magic and spells. Feeling pity on the strange cult, the god of war, Valir, descended to them, and for their bravery in the face of the divine, granted them his boon. They grew stronger, taller, and more vicious. Valir also twisted Amaga's curse, making the orishmen's inability to connect to magic into a shield against it. Forcing all who fought them to do so with brute strength.

Now marked, both with the disdain of the good god of magic, and with the approval of the evil god of war, the Orishmen retreated away from civilization into the Green Wood. Here they rebuilt, started their own civilization, and slowly morphed from Man to Orc.

Almost two thousand years later, Orcs now number in tens of thousands, with several clans and families inhabiting the wood. In-fighting keeps their numbers from growing much more, or from uniting against The Ivory Empire, the ruling power in the land of Sergo.

All these years later, very few remember the history of the Orcs, even their own shamans are mostly ignorant of it. To many, they are simply the danger that lies in the green wood, and why very few leave the walls of their skyholds.
>>
>>50165825
>>50172445

Another thing of note is that not all orcs are content not knowing magic. The great Chief Narus once took a large party of his orcs far outside the wood, and raided an encampment of gypsies that lived outside one of the skyholds. After a short battle, Narus found his prize. A human woman casting spells to defend her homefront. He instructed his orcs to capture her, and like that, they vanished once more into the green wood.

Their unholy union created the chief's first son, who would later be known as Nazmin, the Red Prince. Nazmin was not only born with the the ability to cast spells, but with strong signs of the gypsy woman's sorcerer bloodline. His skin was a pale red, unlike other orcs, and he stood a head shorter than any orc in his village, but what he lacked in physical power, he made up for in tenacity and magical might. With his father pushing him, Nazmin grew to have mastery over magic, and decided to test his powers against man. Once again, Narus created a war band of orcs, this one three times the size as the last. With his son by their side, they marched until they found a much larger human settlement, and attacked. Although this settlement too belongs to the roaming gypsies, the Orcs were in luck. a great celebration had brought many of them together, numbering in the hundreds.

The battle took less than an hour, and the entire settlement was in ruin. Nazmin's spells had struck true, however, he seemed to no longer carry the orc's natural defense against magic. It mattered not to him, and both he, and his father Chief Narus took the dozen or so more captured females who cast magic in their defense to start what they would call "The red Army".

This vision for the future of orcs would not come to pass however. Due to the Heroics of a handful of powerful adventurers, as well as Narus' betrayal at the hands of his Shaman, both the Chief and his son were slain, the the threats of the red orcs was halted for that time being.
>>
>>50172517
>>50172445
>>50165825

It was years after this that another form of Orc was discovered. When Sovadin, the black prophet of Marmath, the god of Usurpation, Rallied the orcs against a threat that could destroy much of Sergo, including The Green Wood, some Orcs found themselves converting, and Worshiping Marmath over valir. These Orc's skin changed from a swampy dark green to a pitch black, and they lost the boon of Valir, but instead gained one of Marmath.

It became apparent then that the orcs, whose blood was malleable by the gods, could be physically changed by their worship. After the threat of the God-king Nel Melrin passed, and the Orcs that followed the path of the usurper returned to the wood, many other orcs left the wood to discover new gods. Some would stumble upon gods of evil, but others found meaning in the god of craft.

ok, now how did I do? Still interesting, or was it killed in the details?
>>
File: thumbs-up.jpg (27KB, 726x980px) Image search: [Google]
thumbs-up.jpg
27KB, 726x980px
>>50172565
Far more interesting than your first post.

Seems odd to curse the guys who hate and never use magic with an inability to ever use magic. Their lives pretty much continue as is, and they still think the magic god ain't shit.

Random murderhobos halting the red orc tide seems like a lost opportunity. Understandable if actual PCs did it though.

The idea of orcs being uniquely malleable by worship is pretty interesting. 7/10 would game with.
>>
File: mymap.png (264KB, 1986x1147px) Image search: [Google]
mymap.png
264KB, 1986x1147px
>>50115870
Lads, can you help me place terrain and decide on climate on his map? You know, where there should be forests, where jungles, were deserts, stuff like that.
>>
File: greymen.jpg (35KB, 400x563px) Image search: [Google]
greymen.jpg
35KB, 400x563px
>>50163191

>Tell me about your orcs /wbg/. Do you like them as marauding rape monsters or noble savage dindu nuffins? Have you come up with your own totally original not!culture variants? Why do you favor your flavor? Do you hate them altogether and exile them to nothingness? Are you just a racist human lover and banish all nonhumans from your setting?

I am not going to add orcs to my world, but instead few different races and cultures take care of the role of orcs.

First are the previously mentioned nomadic gypsy gnolls. You can search this or the last thread for more.

Second are trolls. They are 2m tall savage mountain and forest dwellers with gray to brown skin. Their technology skills are quite undeveloped and they are bit savage. Most of the times they do know to steer away from other races, but sometimes they band together to raid and pillage. They are to be the constant lurking threat to Dwarven and other mountain/hill people that have to take into account when doing things. I need to write more about them later, but I have the picture in my mind.

Third are the Grey Men. Greyskinned humans with bad skin. They are humans that were corrupted by errant god. They are shunned and in some cases out rightly hunted. More or less their bad reputation comes from previous activities that fuel future activities. An endless circle of hate. One thing their errant god gave them is to crossbreed with other humans or elfs that create impotent Grey Men. Crossbreeds cannot create offsprings so their part is society is usually as soldiers or other dangerous duties.
>>
File: Babylonian soldier.jpg (48KB, 460x864px) Image search: [Google]
Babylonian soldier.jpg
48KB, 460x864px
>>50172828

Fourth are still unnamed race of underground living creatures. Maybe troglodytes (HOMM 3) or similar. Instead of them being savage freaks that bang two rocks at each other, it would be interesting for them to have high culture and working society. They would clash with Dwarven underground and sometimes venture out from their cities to do war or business with humans. To keep them in orcish values I could see them having slaves, so slave raids?

Fourth is still unnamed group of night creatures. I really haven't put much thought into them and I don't know if I am going to axe them completely. Practically they are creatures born from magic in very low numbers. They sustain their life by draining peoples lifes away. They are quite rare and more or less something people use to scare kids to go to bed early or eat the porridge. These creatures would allow different cultures to have some kind of warrior templars or similar that fight these scary night creature dudes.

>Super ultra bonus round: tell me of your dwarves and how they're not all Gimli clones

My Dwarven are depending on location either a Russian Druzhina dwarven. Kievan Rus dorfs. They speak not!Russian and they are exports on mass producing stuff. They are the Dwarven who live inside mountains or on mountainsides. They are the pretty standard dwarven.

Then the other dorfs are not!Babylonian dwarven. Few days ago some anon mentioned how their beard are very dwarven. So it got me wondering why should I have only one Dwarven culture above all others? They live above ground in their magnificent fortified cities. They are bit human-like in their everyday life due to not being in mountains all the time, but it gives them nice flavour. Maybe they live with humans in those cities?
>>
>>50172845
>Maybe troglodytes (HOMM 3) or similar. Instead of them being savage freaks that bang two rocks at each other, it would be interesting for them to have high culture and working society.
What is even the point of calling it a troglodyte then
>>
File: REVISED MAP SMALL.jpg (374KB, 1006x993px) Image search: [Google]
REVISED MAP SMALL.jpg
374KB, 1006x993px
Going back to my old map and focusing on what would instead be a more territorial gain based world of isolated city states.

If I am to adapt it back what possible alternatives to a biological hazard that would mean the entire eastern bit of the world there is unlivable. Does it need an entire world map or is this more than enough to be going on?
>>
>>50165501
I agree with >>50165562. From what I have seen and personally delved into is to try to get the world into ready status at point X of time. Most likely this is just to allow it to be used for different games that could be played.

Thought I have seen multiple very good full histories how things have become what they are.

>>50172815
What is the scale of your map? Can you compare it to some real world place in size. Would help a lot to understand how it works.
>>
>>50172984
>What is the scale of your map? Can you compare it to some real world place in size. Would help a lot to understand how it works.

It's the size of Europe, more or less.
>>
File: troglodytedone.jpg (84KB, 653x1000px) Image search: [Google]
troglodytedone.jpg
84KB, 653x1000px
>>50172873
It was more of a thinking how they might look. Personally troglodytes for me are always the ones from HOMM 3 due to nostalgia goggles. So term troglodyte as backwards cave dwellers is not correct in this case.

Some kind of underground high culture would be great to have imo.

What do you think?
>>
>>50173049
It makes me wonder why they and dwarves would both need to exist.
And again, there is no point in calling them troglodytes
>>
>>50173073
Making things more diverse and as underground threat to dorfs. I feel that dwarven are too powerful if they do not have serious threat underground as I kinda want to keep the warfare realistic. I feel that without this threat dwarven would be too powerful when on defense.

I might substitute them with some other race completely, but I don't want it just to be not!drows or not!dwemer. That would feel as too used idea.
Yeah I will have to change the name just like majority of other names.
>>
>>50173245
dwemer are not!dwarves, and your dwarves are already closer than average to them with the babylonian stylings
>>
>>50173304
You didn't read the longer post well. I have the normalish not!kievanrus dorfs that live in mountains and hills. Then I have the not!babylonian dorfs who live aboveground. Two different dwarven cultures.

Regarding underground high culture, nothing forces them to be only against not!kievanrus dorfs politically.

Some things I have to take in account for them is side effects of living underground. Albino skin, highly developed nose and ears, their diet. Also how their society works and what they use as light source.
>>
>>50120477
>Bony plates jut out the chest and back, covering the head (and internally the heart)
why?
>>
File: anderson_lg.jpg (2MB, 2000x1534px) Image search: [Google]
anderson_lg.jpg
2MB, 2000x1534px
Hey /wbg/, I'm looking for a mac-capable program that can help me make an isometric map of city streets (like pic related).

Nothing in the OP quite fits the bill. I'll do this by hand if I have to, but I'd love to save some time.
>>
>>50174371
What are you making it for? 99% of the time a nation with medieval tech-level won't have such pristine city planning.
>>
>>50174676
Cyberpunk game. All set in the same neighborhood.
>>
>>50174371
Cities: Skylines
>>
>>50175436
That might work. I didn't think about using a game. Thanks!
>>
page 10 save rave
>>
>>50115870

How do I into a futuristic space setting which mimicking Star Wars and Star Trek too much?

Not sure if I want to the setting to have only humans but all have different distinct cultures or several races, each representing a distinct culture. But I am kinda leaning towards the former right now if just for the ease of finding artwork.
>>
>>50178301
>which
*without
>>
Looking at creation stories; not necessarily accurate ones, but the ones that inform a given culture's religious foundations.

What are the creation stories of your settings, anons?

If you have dwarves in your setting, where did they come from?

If you have elves in your setting, where do they believe they came from?
>>
>>50178546
The world was created shortly before the First War in Heaven. The creator god (name pending), after spending countless eons alone created a large number of lesser gods only to realize he had no equal and was still alone. Essentially, he decided to retire and created a realm apart from the realm of the gods where he could, for lack of a better world, die.
His corpse became the world.

The remaining gods decided to fill the world with life, trees and animals and such, in order to beautify the corpse and honour their father (ie, the godly equivalent of sending flowers). They then created the elves by ordering the weakest beings in heaven (low-tier angels, for lack of a better word) to descend to the physical world to take on a role as caretakers.
Unfortunately for said angels, this made them mortal (except to age).

Soon, however, the upheaval in the realm of the gods at the loss of their creator (and hierarchical structure) caused a war. Those losers who refused to submit to the winners and become part of the new hierarchy were banished to the physical world.
However, these gods were powerful and clever, so when they arrived in the world and had to take on bodies, they chose the form of massive, powerful beasts. They became the first generation of dragons.

The way reproduction among natives of this world is simple: sexual reproduction results in equal beings (2 high elves make a new high elf, for example), but powerful beings can also reproduce asexually. Using the second option creates a lesser being.
Using the process, the elves created servitor races such as the dwarves, giants, and goblins.
The God-Dragons created lesser dragons, who created lesser dragons, and so on until wyverns and such showed up.
However, while the God-Dragons were godly in power, the elves were not, and constant creation of new races quickly reduced them to a lesser state. First generation elves are effectively extinct as they expended their magic in this way.
>>
>>50179099
This is a rather abridged version of the creation story (which is true, mostly), but covers the gist rather well.
The setting is designed to facilitate as many races as possible in a sort of "everything and the kitchen sink" way. Most of my settings are all-human, so I wanted to go in the complete other direction for once.

There are 4 main lineage trees in for natives of this world:
1 Elves: high, dark, wood, and a dozen other flavors. Each one is adapted to their home region as a last vestige of their original caretaker purpose.
2 Servitors: dwarfs, giants, orcs, goblins, and many others. All created to serve elves, though with the weakening of elven power, many have since become independent (this is the cause of most elf/dwarf feuding, btw)
3 Awakened creatures: related to servitor races, these are typically created by proto-wood elf type elves. They took existing creatures -- lions and tigers and bears, oh my! -- and instead gave them "souls." Think Oz or Narnia (though some are more anthropomorphic). These were later creations and came about when elves realized they were weakening. It takes much less power to make existing species intelligent than to create new ones from scratch.
4 Dragons and monsters. All monster species are descended from the God-Dragons in some way.

Anyway, humans are actually not part of this creation myth. Instead, they showed up thousands and thousands of years later from a completely different world, fleeing a great evil I still need to fluff. In crunch terms humans will operate differently than other species. Where humans have classes/jobs, other races simply are whatever their race is. Wood elves are all wood elves, for example, but humans can be mages or warriors or rangers and so on.

There are a few human/native-creature hybrid races. The first human refugees were enslaved and warped by native powers, resulting in things like satyrs, centaurs, and other part-human creatures/monsters.
>>
>>50178546
In the beginning there were only humans. The creators of the humans were a Holy Family. Father Sky, Mother Earth, Brother Fire, and Sister Water. They used their control over the foundational elements to create life. Mother Earth gave birth to the world and its inhabitants, granting them form and stability. Father Sky made the creatures grow and the seasons change. Brother Fire consumed the waste and excess, while Sister Water was there to replenish what was lost. Humanity began from one of these creatures, and eventually they grew into multitudes. People began to worship the deities, choosing one domain which they preferred best. Eventually, they learned of more intricate aspects of their Gods' domains, and further grouped themselves in alignment with that newfound knowledge.

Humanity grew like you'd expect. They fought wars, made peace, spread out, and cultivated the land. However, there came a time where some people desired more. Each of the 12 main nations would often exile those who didn't follow the national dogma. Some of those exiles stumbled across each other, and decided to establish a new nation free from the more nationalistic dogmas of the 12 original divisions. With these people united, the new nation quickly flourished. However, due to the freedoms it enjoyed, a religious cult grew more and more in power until it held sway over most of the young nation. Eventually one of the cultist's summoning rituals was completed, and an Arch Demon was released into the world.

The Arch Demon, having power similar to that of the Creating Gods themselves, drastically changed the land. Land masses shifted, Mountains became flat and valleys became hills. The people's understanding of magic and the laws by which it worked became mysterious again. Ancient myths and legends from the time in which the world was created became real. Birthsigns became fact. Religious affiliations became new races of humanoids. And new, never before seen creatures now roamed.
>>
>>50179602
This is actually two distinct settings. What I just wrote was a setting I ran quite a few games in already, which helped flesh out all of this brief history.

Built on all that backstory, I'm creating a homebrew system for the fun and experience of it, that will tell the story of what happens after these events.
>>
>>50163191
They aren't rape monsters or savages, and they du quite a lot. However, they might be closer to what people call Hobgoblins in most settings. They're a properly civilized race who just so happen to have an extremely low opinion of most other humanoid races. They've got their own nations, gods, goals, and crusades, and are infamous for their ruthless tactics and lack of concern or respect for the lives and livelihoods of any other race.

Most people don't bother asking Orcs why they do what they do. Even if the Orcs bothered giving an answer, it'd probably prove both immensely unsatisfying and a little unsettling at the same time. There's no real empathy for those races they see as their inferiors, but there's not necessarily any hatred either. It's possible to submit to and survive under Orcish rule, but it's also not unheard of for the occasion person living in such conditions to vanish in the night and never be seen again. Eating lesser races during a meat shortage has happened before, as has people being used as guinea pigs for experiments and research.

In short, Orcs are a race of clever, cold-hearted, and ruthless bastards.
>>
File: spider.jpg (287KB, 774x1085px) Image search: [Google]
spider.jpg
287KB, 774x1085px
I'm thinking about ripping off the Idea of Evil from Berserk for a bbeg or the token evil god.

Born from humanity's collective unconscious need for something to blame its suffering and hardships on. Makes monsters and bad things happen.

LN monster factory just doing its job.

having trouble trying to take it from there though
>>
>>50178546
At first there was God. He was lonely and he seeked to create someone to share existence with. First he created the world and then took some metal and forged metal men. But metal men grew to resent him believing he had all the best stuff for himself and their world was an inferior imitation. "Let us make war on heaven, kill the Creator and take his heaven for ourselves". In the end, all metal men but one were destroyed, but God and the World were irreparably scarred. God all but withdrawn, but not before he created flesh men that wouldn't be powerful enough to challenge him to inherent the world. The last metal man is still hiding somewhere plotting apocalyptic revenge against God and flesh men.
>>
>>50172674
Thanks anon, It was a party of PCs too, was like a mystery of the magic using orcs, since outsiders didnt know they could even interbreed with humans, or that they could acquire a sorcerers bloodline like that.

Many of the Orcs loved them for it though, as other clans did not want half breeds among them, and even more so now thought that magic was weak.

Also the Prophet of Marmath that converted the orcs was the Antipaladin of the same party. Best experience ive ever had having an evil member of the party.
>>
>>50163191
>Do you like them as marauding rape monsters or noble savage dindu nuffins?
They were a mix of both; "noble savage" Pig Orcs that got convinced to be marauding rape monsters by the BBEG, kind of like Warcraft Orcs.
>Have you come up with your own totally original not!culture variants? Why do you favor your flavor?
I haven't thought of their culture much, as they were only around during the "Beastmen races are primitive tribes" era. Speaking of flavor, the fact that they taste like pork was their downfall.
>Do you hate them altogether and exile them to nothingness?
Something like that, they were nearly annihilated by the forces of Good when the BBEG died, and were "converted" into Goblins.
>Are you just a racist human lover and banish all nonhumans from your setting?
Humans in my setting are in my personal opinion as Creator inherently-flawed spawn of magical experimentation.
"Non-human" is just "race of humanoid that can empower their forms and inter-breed with Humans". "Demi-Humans" are the derogatory term used by Human-supremacists, focusing on humanoid races that are sub-sapient intelligence or operate on a hivemind.

>Super ultra bonus round: tell me of your dwarves and how they're not all Gimli clones
They're hyper-religious, utilitarian conservatives. They're not easily corrupted by greed, and their society is highly unified. Plus, they don't shun magic.
Apart from that, they're Gimli clones. Live in underground strongholds, militaristic, excellent craftsmen and the world's primary miners.
>>
>>50183446
>Speaking of flavor, the fact that they taste like pork was their downfall.
but humans taste like pork too
>>
>>50183540
The Pig Orcs were cannibalized first.
>>
>>50180236
Just be careful not to get too Warhammer with it. That's a fun, effective concept, but could easily devolve into being a copy of the Warp.
>>
>>50153308
>kazak
>seagrad
a nu, cheeki breeki i v damki
>>
Bump so thread wont die

And so more people will praise my orcs and make me feel like I didnt waste the last two years of my life writing this setting
>>
>>50183801
The Warp isn't exactly the most original concept either.
>>
>>50186108
Of course not, but it's rather well known in /tg/ circles, so it's rather likely the warp would be one of the first things it gets compared to.
>>
>>50186872
That was supposed to be "Of course," not "Of course not."
Derp.
>>
>>50185842
So you made some orcs

Now what?
>>
>>50187086
>Chapter 5 of "The Evil Overlord Guide"
>>
>>50165562
Not in a worldbuilding context. How things came to be is the equivalent of plot in a conventional novel, and you don't read books for the plot unless you're a turbopleb.
>>50186872
>>50186890
It's the same meaning either way.
>>
>>50187086
well, I really like the structure of the gods in my world.

Unbeknownst to the general population, all of the gods were once mortals. Every godly name is actually more like I title that a god will pass down to a mortal they have chosen and groomed for the position called their "avatar".

Now every god does it a little different. The avatar of the god of usurpation trains for hundreds of years until he is strong enough to slay the god in single combat, the avatar of death kinda hangs around and helps him out for a few centuries.

It was actually the big center point of my last campaign. The gods of the tribunal of light, the highest and most holy of the gods, decided that things like War, Chaos, and other distasteful subjects should be removed from the world, so they slayed the gods of those divine thoughts. Thousands of years pass, and many forget of the dark gods, until a mortal mad makes a deal with a contract devil and learns of the unfilled stations of the dark gods, and vowed to go and take the throne and name of valir, the god of war.

The heores of the campaign learn all of this just a day before he succeeds, and spend the rest of the campaign building their own army and power to kill the new god before he can grow too powerful.

Im skipping over a bunch here, but the idea of mortals becoming gods really resonates with me, and it explains how some concepts change over time, and evolve. The god of war pre-bronze will be an entirely different person then the god of war post-steel.

It also was a great end game reward for one of the players who was chosen to become the Avatar of Amaga, the god of magic, and another competing with the already chosen avatar of the god of king-slaying.

Ok wbg, what about that?
>>
I'm designing an all-human fantasy setting with an early-mid Vicotrian era tech level. I intend to use it for paranormal investigation, vaguely Call of Cthulhu-ish games. So far I've fleshed out the human society and education system for mages, but I realized I forgot something important.

Should the magic/mythology of the setting be directly inspired by stuff from the real world and/or existing fantasy games (nymphs, satyrs, fairy tale style dwarfs, etc), or should I invent a completely new supernatural world?
The second option would require significantly more work, of course, but might result in a more interesting world to explore. The first option would be more familiar and easier to get into, but might come across as cliche and trite.

What would you suggest?
>>
File: Aquatic Fae (1).jpg (94KB, 880x955px) Image search: [Google]
Aquatic Fae (1).jpg
94KB, 880x955px
>>50189055
Can do a mix of both, having a "unique, new" supernatural world with themes and ideas copied from existing fantasy.

For instance, my Fae range from lawn gnomes, faun Nymphs, and vanilla fairies to pic related as aquatic Fae. Fae on the continent without an egregore affecting how Fae manifest are much more bizarre.
>>
File: A5gl0w9.gif (1MB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
A5gl0w9.gif
1MB, 1920x1200px
>>50189962
Fucked up spoilers.

Pic related, one of the weirder "Isle of Giants" Fae in its natural habitat.
>>
Any good random city map generators out there? I'm familiar with all of the infrastructure/population generators but very few have actual graphical maps to look at. I'm perfectly fine with plugging in demographics/shops/other infrastructure into a mapmaking program and laying out the tiles but I'm also not sure what program I'd use as most seem to focus on larger scale land maps and not small scale cities.
>>
>>50189962
Now that you mention it, I think I may start with this. If I begin with existing lore I can always phase it out with more original content where and when I can. Maybe I'll eventually wind up with a wholly original lore system.
>>
>>50189994
(They're 8-14 feet tall and stare at you from the treeline. They're also immune to small-arms fire)
>>
How would you rehabilitate gnolls into being an acceptable player race? At least to make them not always evil?
>>
>>50191695
This recent gnoll obsession is very bizarre. Is it Volo's that's triggered it? Is it that shitty?
>>
>>50163191
Orcs in my setting are kind of strange. They started out as degenerate experiments peformed on men by a sorcerer-scientist of unknown origin in order to create a slave race for as of now unknown purposes. They all kind of look like giant, bald Brock Lesners with reddish eyes but otherwise are indistinguishable from humans. They have a genetic predisposition to reverse engineer ancient technology and as such, despite most of them living in tribes, have some of the most advanced weapons in the entire setting. They are known for staging raids on villages in which their airships fly above burning villages while they teleport down, ax in hand, to kill resistance and take any captives as slaves. The Orcs themselves have the whole "honor culture" and a very heavy Viking vibe going on with them ,not just in attire either.
>>
>>50192308
Also my Dwarves are basically the lynchpin who've similtaniousy created both everything that's wrong and right with this world. It would take too long to explain in one post, but basically they're all dead except for some tribes of half-dwarves and egomaniacal vampire lords who rule over their undead legions. They fell in large part due to their own hubris and are historically shown to be vain and prideful, as well as extreamly hostile to outsiders.
>>
Do people even read these threads?
>>
>>50192592
In general? No. Your homebrew diarrhoea of a post will probably go unnoticed. This is as it has always been.
>>
>>50192592
No, these threads are just to stoke the writers ego. Nothing else.
>>
>>50192592
I've read and commented on several posts.
>>
File: dark alley garage door.jpg (39KB, 500x327px) Image search: [Google]
dark alley garage door.jpg
39KB, 500x327px
So currently I have a pretty weird little urban fantasy game going on, but I have an issue with it.

Basically I am for sure going to have magical psychic powers in this world. They can be pretty strong but are limited (one per person) and you can't 'choose' to learn or develop one, it comes almost totally at random. People in the city of course use their powers for wealth, to fight or cause crime, or to do whatever else.

However I've been a huge fan of Unknown Armies for a long time, and I've been seriously debating putting in something similar to some of the magic systems from that game/world into mine. The trouble is I don't want 'magic' that is too on the nose or unexplainable, but having subtle ritual magick that just changes how the world works is really cool. I'm worried it would detract from the rest of the setting.

I should mention here the setting has always had 'magic' in it, besides psychic abilities, but this magic was just entirely unexplained stuff. Things like items that did weird things or the strange monsters and living illusions that wander the tunnels beneath the city and so on.

Thoughts?
>>
How could EEZ's and non land territories work in space? Specifically in the solar system, and forget the space related treaties that don't allow them.
>>
>>50153308
This is probably one of the best Inkarnate maps I've seen. Nice job my dude
>>
Question, if I wanted to make a musical game, how would I design the setting?
>>
>>50126883
>Vlaardingen
>Lelystad
>Zaandam
>Roosendaal
>Brighton
>Sheffield

really
>>
>>50195576
Musical in what way?
Seven Brides for Seven Brothers? Rocky Horror?
Or just a lot of musical references and themes.
>>
>>50195576
>all spells must rhyme
>the most powerful spells are in rhythmic, song form
>evil Old God wizards rap, corrupting the rules of spellcraft
>>
>>50195576
Research into music theory to dredge up ideas and terms. A good understanding of classical music terms and what they mean could be used to imply other things.
>The Circle of Fifths
>The various modes of music (Ionian, Dorian, Phrygian, Lydian, Mixolydian, Aeolian and Locrian)
>Major and Minor as two factions with atonality in the middle
for example
>>
Speaking of music would it be too silly to gave Elder God-esque creatures be defeated by music/love/wonder as they are emotions they are unable to experience and thus just as damaging to their minds as they are to humans?
>>
>>50197431
No, but it'd take a lot of care. Very easy to go Disney-tier sappy.
>>
>>50197447
Sometimes Disney-tier sappy is a good thing.
>>
>>50197536
Sledgehammers are not welcome to most people's faces.
>>
>>50197447
I'm going to relegate it to the legends of the world I think.

Plus singing a little ditty isn't going to stop Yog Soddoth from doing all manner of ghastly things to you, you need a lot of belief and a lot of hope.
>>
>>50173976
It's a corrupted enchantment where the magic, ethereal barrier got twisted into a more physical, carnal version.
>>
>>50196915
Current idea is somewhere between- Though hopefully with a myriad of genres. Think kinda more like Something Rotten's "A Musical."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUXsr83r590
Though (At least I hope) less kinda stupid.

>>50197005
That sounds rather engaging. Though I have a plan for rappers that makes the wizard thing make more sense.
(Currently I have a dragon attempting to use four young adults to ascend to godhood with Alchemy (From the shovel knight soundtrack)).

>>50197261
Am already taking music theory classes because I love music.
I can see why music is magic, because heavens knows it's more arcane.
>>
>>50199407
Add in something about the music of the spheres and universal harmony.
>>
File: distribution.jpg (113KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
distribution.jpg
113KB, 1024x768px
What do you think?
>>
>>50201113

Retarded.
>>
>>50201833

w-why
>>
>>50201887

>using the real world as a world map
>all the continents besides Eurasia are just left blank
>Dwarves are most common in fucking Asia of all places, where their short stance and bulky bodies would make them shit at navigating the hot and humid swamplands, mountains, and other similar features
>Orcs are common in the frigid north and along the coasts, where their large and bulky bodies would be shit at swimming
>Elves are everywhere in Africa, of all places, which has THE lowest HDI in the entire world since the beginning of history.

It's fucking retarded.
>>
>>50192592
I go through for inspiration, usually don't give feedback
>>
File: Map 4.png (279KB, 4000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
Map 4.png
279KB, 4000x2000px
No fucking clue what I'm doing.
Thread posts: 287
Thread images: 62

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.