[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Humblebundle Mistborn, Dresden & ASOIAF

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2

File: 1478039114897.gif (2MB, 383x207px) Image search: [Google]
1478039114897.gif
2MB, 383x207px
So I just forked out 15 Freedumbux for the latest RPG Humblebundle on a whim though I'm not really sure what I'm in for. Atomic Robo sounds cool and I've heard some Anons saying the SOIAF RPG isn't great but the others are unknown to me. Is Mistborn and Dresden Files any good or will I need to read the books to 'get' it?

So you don't need to go to the site, the bundle is such:

>A Song of Ice and Fire Roleplaying Core Rulebook, The Atomic Robo RPG,andLaundry RPG Rulebook.

>Mistborn Adventure Game, The Dresden Files RPG: Your Story, A Song of Ice and Fire Chronicle Starter,andLaundry Files: Black Bag Jobs.

>Alloy of Law: Mistborn Campaign Setting & Game Setting, Terris: Wrought of Copper Player’s Guide & Mistborn World Resource, A Song of Ice and Fire Campaign Guide, The Dresden Files RPG: Our World,andLaundry Files: Agent's Handbook.
>>
>>50110657
The Mistborn one doesn't require you to read the books for the basic setting, if I remember right. But the Alloy of Law one will spoil the shit out of the first trilogy just because of setting details.
>>
>>50110657
The Dresden Files books spoil a lot of details, but if you weren't planning on reading them it still serves as a good primer for what's going on and how magic works in the setting.
>>
>>50110657
so this is from someone who loves table top games like DnD, World of Darkness, and Exalted (thematically more than mechnically). heres a quick what I think:
Dresden Files - Lots of cool lore and some interesting story themed mechanics but holy fucking hell are the rest of the mechanics imbalanced as fuck. Like dear lord are spellcasters op as shit (mechanically). like we are talking 3.5 dnd bad/worse. However there are some cool ideas. Personally I found the game plays better at a low "refresh" (the games version of level) because then spell casters and monsters cant be broken as fuck and run over all the people that don't want to play those things. Source: roughly 3 campaigns and approx a year of play regularly.
Mistborn- Mistborn is a pretty rockin system that i don't really ever see anyone talk about. It has balanced spell casting (spell casters have to sacrifice other things like being rich/popular to get magic and in the setting/game it punishes you. plus magic isn't super retartedly strong, more focused one trick pony type of stuff), interesting thematic spells and powers. The combat and resolution mechanic is fun and can be exciting when you smooth and cool take down a powerful enemy in some way. The dice mechanic is a bit wierd at times though. I don't really have much to go on beyond that, just felt wierd sometimes. Source, one long sessions worth of experience

There it is. Sorry for the wall of text. if you wanna know more let me know. Here's a tldr:
Dresden files, cool story mechanics but crunchy bits are super imbalanced in the favor of spellcasters.
Mistborn has interesting magic and is fun to play but the dice seem strange at times.
>>
>>50110657
Dresden Files is an old version of Fate and not very well balanced but the setting book is solid. Atomic Robo is a newer and improved version of the same system.
The Laundry is literally modern Call of Cthulhu.
ASOIAF is not a bad system, but be careful that it won't work very well if you play it like D&D, different expectations.
Mistborn I never got into because I don't read the novels and it seemed kinda confusing.
>>
File: 1476755125211.gif (752KB, 250x150px)
1476755125211.gif
752KB, 250x150px
>>50110678
>>50110951
>>50111033
>>50111149
That pretty much gives me all the info I need. Thanks Anons!
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.