[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Playing as an Undead in D&D?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_3459.jpg (216KB, 1600x992px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3459.jpg
216KB, 1600x992px
Hello everyone! So my friends and I are about to complete our campaign and we're starting to create new characters for the next. I've been playing D&D for about a year now so I think I finally know what I'm doing (at least a little lol). So for my next character I decided to go with a necromancer build. But thought it would be interesting to make my character some sort of undead. I was thinking maybe my character was resurrected by the gods I worshipped in my past life as a way of them saying, "your not done yet". Anyone have any experience with this? Is this even a thing? Is my imagination going to far? Let me know what you guys think!
>>
>>50095464
>I've been playing D&D for about a year now so I think I finally know what I'm doing

And yet you apparently didn't think it worth mentioning what edition you are playing.

If you're doing 5e then you basically described the Revenant, so do that if your GM doesn't mind.
>>
>>50095464
If you play an undead, play it properly.
Make a skeleton and make as many skele-puns as you can.
>>
If you're playing 3rd edition, use the Book of Vile Darkness Bone and Corpse templates instead of a straight skeleton or zombie.
>>
>>50095574
Yes totally forgot we are indeed playing 5e lol. Thanks! I'll look into the Revenant!
>>
>>50095629
No way dood 2spoopy4me
>>
I have a little advice for this, though this is from a DM perspective. If the character's undead nature gives them a boon of some sort (like Undead Fortitude) I would personally take away healing from divine magic. I feel as if the radiant nature of divine healing magic would be anathema to an undead, and have no effect, or possibly adverse affect. (However magical non-divine healing, like potions would work.)

Additionally, there are some good homebrews for undead races. In terms of vampires, there is a good homebrew for a Vampire Prestige class, because becoming a vampire is really equal to class levels, in my mind.
>>
>>50096224
You've brought up something I never considered but am now wondering.

How would one do a paladin revenant? I ask because I sort of made one for a friends game. We aren't far in, had only one session. I have a loose written backstory that he secretly did something to dishonor his family's house and then was Julius Caesar'd by his brother, then resurrected by some death god to let him seek vengeance. What's a good death deity to do this? And I mean good as in appropriate.
>>
>>50096224
The old Positive/Negative Energy in 3.PF never seemed to work quite right.

Wasn't it that clerics would channel positive, or use a Cure spell, had to choose to either heal people or hurt undead, where both should happen?

This would destroy balance in fights against undead, certainly, but would need to be dealt with as well.

The whole thing seemed to be another hole in older D&D logic.

>>50097930
This was the whole idea of Revenants as the Raven Queen's "children" from 4e.
>>
File: two-thumbs-up.jpg (21KB, 347x447px) Image search: [Google]
two-thumbs-up.jpg
21KB, 347x447px
>>50098997
Really? Nice. This also works for well for my character's aesthetic and alignment. Thanks friendo.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.