[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/ysg/- Yog-Sothothery General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 208
Thread images: 40

File: H._P._Lovecraft,_June_1934.jpg (24KB, 285x352px) Image search: [Google]
H._P._Lovecraft,_June_1934.jpg
24KB, 285x352px
Re-Animator Edition

This thread is meant to inspire Lovecraftian /tg/ (like Delta Green and CoC) and discuss Lovecraft's works for inspiration along with anything else that fits into this genre or takes place in the Yog-Sothothery.

>The Texts of Lore that Men were not meant to know:
http://www.eldritchdark.com
http://www.hplovecraft.com/writings/texts/

>PDF Archive:

>Call of Cthulhu
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/h9qjka0i4e75t/Call_Of_Cthulhu

>Atchung! Cthulhu
https://mega.nz/#F!ywcHkIAA!ycphEhCOkbnjOvAQ4t7TBg

>Pulp Cthulhu
https://mega.nz/#!L9EFWSIT!o6clZxfdrVSOLkmcQz3wQ2Af9-hKsUxKc7214VynuY4

>AM1200
https://vimeo.com/102372269

>Recommend things to put in the next OP
>Please create a new thread when the Bump Limit has been reached and we are in the Lower Pages or if the old thread dies.
>If you don't, Nyarlathotep will shitpost in other threads
>>
File: agif.gif (348KB, 500x285px) Image search: [Google]
agif.gif
348KB, 500x285px
“This is the great lesson the depressive learns: Nothing in the world is inherently compelling. Whatever may be really “out there” cannot project itself as an affective experience. It is all a vacuous affair with only a chemical prestige. Nothing is either good or bad, desirable or undesirable, or anything else except that it is made so by laboratories inside us producing the emotions on which we live. And to live on our emotions is to live arbitrarily, inaccurately—imparting meaning to what has none of its own. Yet what other way is there to live? Without the ever-clanking machinery of emotion, everything would come to a standstill. There would be nothing to do, nowhere to go, nothing to be, and no one to know. The alternatives are clear: to live falsely as pawns of affect, or to live factually as depressives, or as individuals who know what is known to the depressive. How advantageous that we are not coerced into choosing one or the other, neither choice being excellent. One look at human existence is proof enough that our species will not be released from the stranglehold of emotionalism that anchors it to hallucinations. That may be no way to live, but to opt for depression would be to opt out of existence as we consciously know it.”
>― Thomas Ligotti, The Conspiracy Against the Human Race
>>
So denizens of /ysg/ I am in the process of designing a lovecraft inspired rpg (once I have a bit more substance I'll post it in a future one of these threads) and I needed advice on something, what character archetypes I could include for PCs, (bearing in mind this isn't a straight up horror game) so far I have:
>the curious academic who tries to apply reason to a strange reality
>the survivor who mostly just gets by by dealing with the physical threats and trying not to think too much about the psychological ones
>the person who fully embraces it and essentially becomes a cultist themselves
>the person with an innate connection to the weirdness who's now learning what's in their blood

any other ideas?
>>
>>50090130
what kind of setting are we talking here?
>>
File: 1eggsurprise.png (1MB, 900x660px) Image search: [Google]
1eggsurprise.png
1MB, 900x660px
“The sinister, the terrible never deceive: the state in which they leave us is always one of enlightenment. And only this condition of vicious insight allows us a full grasp of the world, all things considered, just as a frigid melancholy grants us full possession of ourselves. We may hide from horror only in the heart of horror.”
>>
File: Mug 4.png (56KB, 540x486px) Image search: [Google]
Mug 4.png
56KB, 540x486px
>>50090130
Those seem pretty good to be honest.
Their vague enough to encompass of the archetypes Lovecraft had in his own stories.
>>
http://anglish.wikia.com/wiki/What_the_Moon_Brings
>>
>>50090184
The setting is alternate modern world similar to lovecrafts settings if advanced to the modern day. The game itself is also influenced by bloodborne in that, while taking heavy influence from cosmic horror, there is a large amount of monster which, while threatening, are still capable of being beaten by humans, with the lovecraftian entities playing a background roll in causing all the chaos and corruption instead of being at the forefront. So modern setting with cults, monsters (a mix of 'warped humans' and 'actual alien entities'), and the PCs caught in the middle trying not to die
>>
:bump:
>>
>>50090130
>the desperate soul who turns to the mythos in order to survive
>the zealot determined to fight it to his last breath
>>
>>50089925
YSG doesn't have a place among the living generals, it can only lay eternally and be awakened when the stars align.
>>
File: tumblr_nzep1pJ65r1rqbu2uo1_1280.jpg (55KB, 960x573px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nzep1pJ65r1rqbu2uo1_1280.jpg
55KB, 960x573px
>>50093183
Exactly.
It awakens when it needs to, so it may terrify and remind us of its terrible and awesome power.
>>
File: Cthulhu - 145.jpg (267KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Cthulhu - 145.jpg
267KB, 1000x1000px
>>50093183

So once a month? Full or New Moon? :^)
>>
File: 1fd.jpg (31KB, 227x750px) Image search: [Google]
1fd.jpg
31KB, 227x750px
Anyone working on scenarios?
I'm working on two and would like some idea feedback.
The first is for CoC and was inspired by my players who said "We want to be a hair metal band in the 1980's". So I said sure.

Basically I took Music of Erich Zann, set it in a dilapidated roc music theater, replaced Zann with a defuncted musician, and made the enemy an embodiment of Y’golonac.
Basically the players will show up and play a song and then go to their room with hookers and blow. During the whole thing they’ll hear NotZann playing weird music on an electric guitar. When they go to investigate he’ll act weird and reveal a bunch of clues. A few spooky dreams and dangerous events later they’ll discover that the apartment is built on to of a cavern that has a terrible pit of hedonism in it.

I plan on having heavy themes of hedonism and addiction. Really play up how fucked up a lot of rock stars really are.

Not sure how they players will end it. Maybe a counter spell NotZann was working on involving music? Anyone have any advice or suggestions?
>>
>>50094129
Maybe he will retreat to the cavern and will be really really hard to reach through it. And the way to end it will be just killing NotZann. Maybe it has to be done in a strange way, like not having any emotion at all at the moment. Maybe, after it's dead, it posesses the killer and will manifest and take control of him again unless he avoids all pleasure until he dies, and thus is forced to live a life of ascetic isolation.
>>
>>50093914
>implying the forces of the outer gods are dictated by the relative positions of a tiny spark of a star and two pieces of debris
>>
So I recently learned about Tremulus (yet another lovecraftian investigative rpg), has anyone here played it? any thoughts?
>>
File: tumblr_nxpxz50FmG1tpri36o1_500.jpg (105KB, 479x717px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nxpxz50FmG1tpri36o1_500.jpg
105KB, 479x717px
>>
>>50089925
What if CoC was more like CoC?
>>
>>50100441
are you familiar with neonomicon by Alan Moore?
>>
File: My dude.png (242KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
My dude.png
242KB, 640x480px
Starting my first campaign of CoC this Sunday. My character has a 90 in Power and I intend to start learning magic when I can. You guys got any tips for me on how to use magic to the best of my ability without going too insane? How fucked am I for wanting to do this?
>>
>>50100628
It had slightly less Rape than I was expecting, considering it's Moore
>>
>>50090130
>The outsider who does everything he can to stay away from the weirdness but always gets dragged back in.

>The seasoned Veteran who been fighting this stuff from day 1 but who's sanity is on the brink of a break
>>
Talk to me about modern cults, /tg/. Which ones give off the most quietly menacing vibes? Do any of them fascinate you? Mary Kay, Scientology, Daesh, Westboro baptist, help me find some more examples.
>>
>>50100919
If the other players in the group are fine with it, go nuts. REVEL in the insanity. Read every tome you can get your hands on, collect those artifacts. Live fast, die young and crazy.
>>
>>50101353
Westboro baptist has never struck me as "scary" because they had no mainstream appeal. They are not a movement, just a bunch of wackjobs.

Scientology infiltrating the DOJ is certainly scary.

I find stuff like like Reiki and other new agey horseshit a little disturbing, because I see friends who are otherwise rational get all wrapped up in it and start talking about "energy work" and paying money do placebo exercises.

Here's one--the technoutopians of Silicon Valley.
>working 100 hours a week is good, even if it takes drugs and soylent shakes to do it.
>normally pleasant human behavior like sleeping and eating should be defeated to increase productivity
>privacy is so twentieth century
>living in a house or a comfortable apartment is so inefficient, why not just live in a hostel
>it's an arbitrary good to disrupt existing institutions and traditions with technology
>>
>>50101353
Heaven's Gate. I, personally, think that someone manipulated their leader into making the cult commit mass suicide, and then quietly got away.

Aum Shinrikyo. Those people are so fucked up and nearly everything is so suspicious about them. There's clearly something wrong, they are not just a cult.

>>50101542
He'll get shot in the head quickly, just in case.
>>
I'm starting a Delta Green campaign soon, and I want to compile cool secret-dossier-like files about the characters. Where can I find some examples of dossiers, personal files, records and so on, about people? What should they include?
>>
>>50101565
>>50101583

Good stuff, thanks to you both. I had no idea about the silicon Valley stuff or Aum Shinrikyo. I'm working up a DG campaign about trying to run COINTELPRO ops on a domestic (U.S.) cult. I want stuff to seem above board, not all the branches are into the mythos side of it. Maybe even something a little tempting or relatable about it, and then start letting the unnatural slip into the game.
>>
File: c26.png (223KB, 404x507px) Image search: [Google]
c26.png
223KB, 404x507px
>>50101583
Probably Nyarlathotep.

>>50101353
Not the most modern but the Mason family is always my favorite.
It starts out as a pervert who wants a harem of woman and turns into this pseudo-religious movement based on Beatles music and racial violence.
Then they just start chopping up famous people trying to cause an apocalyptic race war.
It makes so little sense except in the most fevered of minds and the spiral out of control is just terrifying.
You think that dirty looking bum is just some poor guy but in reality he has plans for a mass homicide and a hippy drug orgy in order to wide out various ethnic groups.
>>
Holy shit an HP Lovecraft thread without retards derailing it about how he was a racist, and then people biting the bait to go on about how he was a product of his time?
>>
Two small groups of Confederate and Union soliders are reeling from a skirmish. They seem to be stuck at a stalemate, and are simply waiting for reinforcements to arrive. However the chose a bad spot to feed the dirt with the blood of men. For ancient seals left long ago thirsted for the blood of mortals, finally sated they unleash their horrid purpose.

The corpses of their fallen brothers are reshaped into gruesome forms. And the nearby wildlife undergoes a far severe change. Only those with a strong enough resolve and will hold off insanity. Most of their comrades are driven to violence, the pcs survive. They can be either confederate or Union troops. They are trapped within the valley. And humanity must learn to set aside their meaningless squabbles to fight the true enemies of man. At least as long as this shaky union between enemies will last.
>>
>>50101628
Have you tried wikisource? They have a lot of pictures and documents searchable by topic.
>>
>>50103068
hush, hush, delete this, quickly
if you mention shitposting's name, it comes
>>
>>50103376
they forever lie
waiting beneath the surface
to spread salt

to post their memes
and to cause butthurt
the total dicks

I don't know why I decided to write this post in haiku form
>>
>>50103068
Well... he was a racist, like super racist. And everything about the fishfucking and the Innsmouth look was literally just his own disgust at the concept of Aryans mixing with negros.
>>
>>50103933
Actually, "Shadows over Innsmouth" came about due to HPL finding, to his great horror, that he was part Welsh. That's what he himself said inspired him to start writing the story.

Also, it likely also has a strong connection to him fearing that mental illness might run in his family. That is actually one of his central fears that influence a lot of his stories.

Lovecraft had this general notion of "degeneration" as a central theme to a lot of his stories, likely tied to his family losing most of their wealth and both of his parents suffering from mental illness. Racial and cultural degeneration (usually exemplified by a "pure" race mixing with an "impure" one, tainting their bloodline) is one aspect of it, but hardly the only one.
It's entirely reasonable to intreperrt "Shadows over Innsmouth" as being about Lovecraft dealing with the idea that his bloodline may be "tainted" by mental illness (the protagonist of the story actually has a lot in common with HPL's father, as well as himself, which would support that notion), rather than it being about him finding race-mixing terrible.
>>
Anons? Terribly sorry if this is off-topic, but I was hoping you could help me. See, I basically want to craft a Serpentfolk PC race for D&D 5e, but the only Call of Cthulhu books I have are the 3e, 4e and D20 corebooks.

Do serpentmen in CoC, Delta Green, wherever, change from this standard formula?

STR 3D6
CON 3D6
SIZ 3D6
INT 3D6+6
POW 2D6+6
DEX 2D6+6
Poisonous Bite natural attack
Knows 2D6 spells
SAN Loss 0/1D6
>>
>>50104458
Alot of his personal writings and correspondence do go into depth about his strong belief in the inferiority of the likes of blacks or what have you due to their inherent nature, to the point that exceptional individual individuals who are black are simply the exception that proves the rule and if they had kids their kids would still be shit.

He was very proud of his British ancestry, but I guess he doesn't count sheepfuckers as being truly British/anglo.

But yes his fear of mental illness is also a strong reasoning behind content of his work.
>>
>>50104610
>>50103933
>>50104458
and they've shown up

haven't we had this discussion before?
>>
>>50104627
Why can't you type properly?
>>
>>50103933
Innsmouth was more likely about Lovecraft's own disgust about finding out some of his family were Welsh. He was a shut in nerd who worshipped Anglo gentlemen and he thought anything that wasn't that was inferior.

Out of the hundreds of pieces he wrote a very small fraction of it can be directly interpreted as Lovecraft expressing his racism and Shadow Over Innsmouth isn't even that good of an example of it since any of the racism is allegory that has to be interpreted by the reader. Red Hook, where he straight up compares the chinese to animals, is a much better example.
>>
>>50104537
This is off-topic and there are lizardfolk the lizard people and yuan-ti the snek people races in the upcoming volo's guide to monsters, just wait
>>
>>50104684
>a shut-in nerd

Please point to anything of value that was created by alpha dudebros and lasted. This isn't sarcasm, I'm really curious if such a thing ever existed.
>>
>>50104734
Conan?
>>
>>50104734
I'm a fan of Lovecraft but the dude was a 1920s NEET for most of his childhood. It doesn't lessen his work but let's be honest, he was a weird kid.
>>
File: IMG_0343.jpg (129KB, 640x722px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0343.jpg
129KB, 640x722px
>>50104734
>Just play football and fuck girls dude, Sisyphus was happy
>>
>>50104762
Point taken. Although it is often said Howard was bullied for being bookish, intellectual and oversensitive, so he started bodybuilding and boxing to compensate, so not sure he qualifies.
>>
>>50104840
for a second I though you meant Howard Philips Lovecraft and imagined him ripped and in a boxing match
>>
>>50104627
Pretty much every HP Lovecraft thread
>>
I started a DG game with players of little familiarity with the setting. I made them full-blown DG agents despite almost everything advising to start new people as friendlies. How fucked am I?
>>
>>50104831
Is that Camus?
>>
>>50102750
No, not Nyarly-dude, just a crafty fed tasked with stopping those guys before they do something real bad.

>>50103227
Cool! Does this tie into P4 Division anyhow?
>>
>>50105105
Yes.
>>
File: 1469147428217.jpg (31KB, 477x350px) Image search: [Google]
1469147428217.jpg
31KB, 477x350px
So does anyone know any other Horror writers from Lovecrafts time who either interacted or inspired him ? Need ideas for a game

I have already read some novels from Frank Belknap Long, Clark Ashton Smith and that one from A Merritt that inspired call of Cthulhu.

Also check out Guy De Maupassant's Horla.
>>
>>50104972
Well now its over.
Post obscure Lovecraft stuff.

Can I just say how much I Love the humanoids from K'n-yan?
They are so often overlooked, probably because their not global like so many other Lovecraftian creature but they are absolutely terrifying and spooky.

" To see that the mutual encroachments of pleasure-seeking never crippled the mass life of the community—this was all that was desired. Family organisation had long ago perished, and the civil and social distinction of the sexes had disappeared. Daily life was organised in ceremonial patterns; with games, intoxication, torture of slaves, day-dreaming, gastronomic and emotional orgies, religious exercises, exotic experiments, artistic and philosophical discussions, and the like, as the principal occupations."

>>50105151
Thats also cool, actually that would be a cool Delta Green Scenario.
What if this agent got cold feet and started feeling bad about killing so many people and wanted to confess and go public?
Then some agents would probably have to silence his ass before he could spill the beans.
>>
>>50105091
In my experience with that mistake they either interpret their position as government agents as license to do whatever they want with no consequences or completely neglect their ability to use their positions to make their investigation easier and behave as they would if their characters were regular people with no authority.
>>
>>50105221
William Hope Hodgson was a bit before Lovecraft's time (he died in WWI), but his work had a big impact on Lovecraft, The House on the Borderland especially. I'd recommend it.
>>
>>50105221
The three main ones.
>Robert E. Howard
>Clark Aston Smith
>Robert Bloch

The outer circle
>Frank Belknap Long
>Henry Kuttner
>Fritz Leiber

The one we need to respect but don't want to.
>Derleth
>>
>>50105221
Robert Chamber's The King in Yellow is great
>>
>>50105279
Honestly, the latter isn't that bad. At least if they fuck up and get arrested, they won't be charged with abusing their position.
>>
>>50105221
Arthur Machen, Robert Chambers, Poe, Ambrose Bierce to name a few.

http://www.hplovecraft.com/life/interest/authors.aspx
>>
>>50105352
It's not that bad but it's certainly disappointing from a GM perspective. One of the main reasons I like DG is getting to watch the players find ways to abuse their power without going too far.
>>
File: 1465235824771.png (5MB, 1163x1600px) Image search: [Google]
1465235824771.png
5MB, 1163x1600px
>>
>>50105395
Give them something but with stern limits. Have the contact who briefs them outright offer special, task appropriate resources with the caveat that if they're caught using them they'll be in deep shit.
>>
File: The_b28cc6_6022623mobile.jpg (80KB, 500x676px) Image search: [Google]
The_b28cc6_6022623mobile.jpg
80KB, 500x676px
>>50105151
>P4 the divison
Googled it and all I got was that horrid game. If it's an obscure reference I'm still fairly new to lovecraft. Only knowing some of themes, and I've only finished his story about crystal hiding lizardman mazes on Venus, rats in the walls, and of course call of cthulu.
>>
>>50105395
Isn't it the best when they do go too far, though?
>>
>>50090434
So it's Delta Green.
>>
>>50108694
P Division, or P4 Division, stands for Parapsychological, Paranormal and Psychic Phenomena Investigation Division of the US Naval Intelligence. It was created in late 19th century and is responsible for the Innsmouth raid. Later it became Delta Green.
>>
>>50090126

For the record, Ligotti is a fantastic writer and I highly recommend him. Aside from the book Anon's quoting, My Work Is Not Yet Done is great, and his short stories are all worth reading if you're looking for your horror fix.
>>
>>50110975
they have similarity in that they're both lovecraft-influenced games about PCs dealing with supernatural threats but that's about it, and that's a very broad definition
>>
Post a moment when you've experienced Lovecraftian horror in your life.
>>
>>50114236
Ever been in a real shitty relationship? Not like a "throwing punches" shitty relationship, but more like a gaslighting shitty relationship. Where the other person latches on to every minor thing you might forget as more proof that your brain is obviously not reliable and maybe you should just do whatever they said. You remember agreeing to it, right?
>>
>>50101353
>actually says "Daesh" like a good little progressive.

They're just practicing Islam as it's written, man. Stop being such a bigot.
>>
>>50107882
What is it ? Need sauce
>>
>>50114236

Well, the entire US political establishment might be involved in a literal Satanic blood cult. That's pretty close.
>>
>>50114236
I once had a dream about the King in Yellow trying to get me to kill all my friends. It was really spooky.
>>
File: racistlovecraft.png (243KB, 404x507px) Image search: [Google]
racistlovecraft.png
243KB, 404x507px
>>50089925
>>
Hi /ysg/. I'm fairly new to this whole thing, but by the will of the stars I have to run a game soon.

Are there any frost- or winter-themed monsters, similar to how fire vampires are related to fire? Maybe it's possible to somehow use Wendigos as supernatural antagonists?
>>
>>50117571

Wendigos can fit into the Cthulhu Mythos. You just have to remember that there is no 'canon' with Cthulhu and the best thing to do with Mythos creatures is to refluff them a little to keep the players in the dark (not completely, but enough to scare them.)
>>
>>50117571
>Maybe it's possible to somehow use Wendigos as supernatural antagonists
the trick when adapting existing monsters to remember that nothing in the mythos is specifically targeted at humans, if people who resort to cannibalism become wendigos it isn't because something from the mythos caused it, they don't give a fuck what we eat, it's because some entities natural life cycle and behaviours brought them about, it's like a lightning strike, it would happen if you were there or not, it's just your bad luck to be standing in the wrong place at the wrong time
>>
>>50117639
Isn't Ithaqua's whole schtick wendigos?
>>
I'm going to be a dirty lazy bastard and pit my players against various SCPs (refluffed and slightly changed, of course). Is this a terribad idea?
>>
>>50118461
All at once or will it be one at a time?
>>
>>50118500
All at once is an end of the world scenario.

So one at a time, for starters.
>>
>>50104684
>a shut-in nerd
I actually heard he liked to travel and go on walks. I forget where I heard it though.
>>
>>50104878
pic related
>>
>>50118748
When he got older he became pretty sociable and liked taking night time walks through whatever city he was living in at the time but most of his youth was spent inside reading books about chivalrous knights.
>>
>>50118509
I'm personally not a fan of apocalypse scenarios/having a bunch of different monsters in the same scenario in Mythos games but putting your players against individual SCPs would be fine as long as the players aren't familiar with the material and you stick with the good ones.
>>
File: kaljaa1.jpg (82KB, 512x768px) Image search: [Google]
kaljaa1.jpg
82KB, 512x768px
>>50117571
Nah, Wendigos are pretty boring (Maybe it's just me I have been on /x/ when Wendigs were huge there).

If you want some unknown snow creatures, watch the cartoon series Moomins. Firstly, it has The Groke, which can easily be fitted into more mythosey entity, and more obscurely, the Lady of Cold

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxJ-UzW99uU
>>
Does the Slenderman mythos count as lovecraftian? It seems to have the whole, 'unknowable alien entity which defies normal logic' thing down and some of the lore involved is actually pretty interesting
>>
>>50090231
Your pic reminded me of a thing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGlZOSfTi8w
>>
>>50114461
You mean my mother?
>>
>>50119427
It definitely takes a page out of Lovecraft's work, the good stuff like Marble Hornets at least. Sadly it lasted all but three years before attracting the same folks responsible for cuteulhu.
>>
Question for some fellow keepers.

What SAN loss would you attribute to killing a child? There's some kid cultists around and I'm kind of afraid my players aren't exactly gonna try and take them alive, so I kind of want consequences for that more immediate than "cops find out you killed them, during a localized apocalypse, somehow".
>>
>>50122762

Add 2 or 3 to the base loss for killing someone. I think it's 0/1d8 or so? So 2/1d8+2.
>>
>>50102750
Personally I don't think Manson planned any of that. I think he was a con man who couldn't let go and would pretty much spin any lie if he thought it'd help keep things going for a few hours longer.
>>
>>50119240
Holy shit I remember those books. Had the whole series when I was a kid. Lady of the Cold never struck me as scary though, but maybe it's because I was a kid and the scene was written rather simply.

I'm totally using that. Now, to think of a way to get rid of that bitch...
>>
>>50105091
I'm in a similar situation, thinking about starting DG soon with a whole group of people whose only exposure to Lovecraft is "it's kinda like Bloodborne". How should I approach this?

I was thinking that I could not even tell them about the Lovecraft parts of the game. I'd start them all off as non-DG federal agents, send them to an "ordinary" crime investigation, and suddenly spring cultists and horrors on them. And then at some point a grizzled DG operative would show up and somehow bring the surviving PCs into the organization.
>>
>>50124205
That's pretty close to exactly how "Puppet Shows & Shadow Plays" from the original DG book goes.
>>
how would you stat cowboy guns for coc?

I was thinking the colt navy, peacemaler, winchester, and Henry
>>
>>50089925
>>
>>50105221
Seems obvious, but Edgar Allan Poe. Lovecraft adored the guy.
>>
>>50125840
The CoC 7th Ed book has rules for lever action rifles, all kinds of revolvers.
>>
>>50120067
Morbido
>>
>>50122762
Would they be killing a child on purpose?

If so add two or three to the cost of murder like the other anon said, but for particularly nasty acts like that I like to make my players roll SAN before they commit the act. If they pass they can't bring themselves to do it and don't lose any SAN/lose a small amount for even seriously considering it, if they fail they are able to justify it and lose SAN.
>>
"Life, a lost course," *that* they will say, as one world then disappears of a regular and merely abominant dying.
>>
>>50116694
I was reading about this a few days ago and I haven't been able to stop thinking about how it can be made into a sick Delta Green campaign.
>>
File: image.jpg (615KB, 1258x1258px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
615KB, 1258x1258px
/ysg/'s back? Holy shit.

The Stars are Right.
>>
>>50102750
Manson actually just wanted to be a rock and roll superstar.
>>
>>50089925
Delta Green shotgun scenario contest for this year is live

https://www.reddit.com/r/DeltaGreenRPG/comments/5bfi3r/2016_delta_green_shotgun_scenario_contest/

I have a draft of mine here, is anyone else working on anything?
>>
>>50105238
The ending to Yig was great. The bit where the thing in the cage was actually the wife's children really shows that he could write good stuff if he worked hard enough.
>>
>>50134724
That is not dead which may eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
>>
>>50135174
But my question is why?
>>
File: hordaweener pompikiniborg.jpg (184KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
hordaweener pompikiniborg.jpg
184KB, 1920x1080px
I am going to run a campaing and I'm helping a guy make his character.
He has never been in a horror campaign and he wants to make a Swedish chef.
Hastur help me...
>>
This is a great question! I'd say 1/1D6. Their going to remember it regardless but it might make some plain crazy for a little bit.
>>
>>50089925
bumpity
>>
>>50089925
I'm new here, and would appreciate the collective thoughts/opinions/help of /ysg/.

I have a few vaguely-connected campaigns in mind. They all take place in the pre-, during-, and slightly post-Napoleonic era. This will include some alternate history in the form of mostly secret magic, some cultist stuff, and few things that go bump in the night; to add an extra layer of mystery, conspiracy, and potential fear. Players will be soldiers, explorers, mercenaries, poor civilians, nobles; many representatives from the era here.

Now, I'm thinking of what system to use for such campaigns; I am stuck between GURPS and Call of Cthulhu. I have never played either of these systems, and have only glazed over the core rulebooks for each.

A variant of this question has appeared on /gurpsgen/, but for you guys: would you suggest your system for such a campaign? Does it have a splat-book that would cover the era of history I'm looking at in a great deal of depth? How is the lethality and relative capacity for heroism or--on the other side of that coin--cowardice and potential insanity? If you do not mind, please sell your game to me, at least in regards to how it handles what I have in mind in comparison to its immediate rival in this matter.
>>
>>50139558
Call of Cthulhu is a classic but GURPS could also work so it's more personal preference
>>
File: lovecraft-and-felis-1.jpg (298KB, 935x935px) Image search: [Google]
lovecraft-and-felis-1.jpg
298KB, 935x935px
>>50139558
You might want to look at Pulp Cthulhu.
Its Call of Cthulhu but with twice the HP, and a bunch of other stuff that lets heros be more action packed and two fisted. It still has sanity which can slowly eat away at them, but its not as massive as in CoC.
>>
>>50139558
I'd vote CoC for really driving in the whole horror of Napoleonic combat. San checks for having to stand in ranks and watch the people around you fall, and all that. Maybe failed checks mean turning tail and fleeing?
>>
>>50139999
>>50140547
>>50140760
Does CoC have rules for era-appropriate kit? Or will I have to do that work myself?
>>
>>50090126
Thank you for posting this. I was actually just ruminating on thoughts of a similar nature, I'll have to find that book and give it a go.
>>
>>50107882
Sauce?
>>
I just found out who Brian Lumley is and it gave me cancer. Why would you take something as fragile and delicate as Yog-Sothothery, make it all about "fighting back and having a laugh" and then try to pretend you're writing about cosmic horror.

I don't get it. I don't get why people keep trying to make cosmic horror optimistic and give people a hope and let them fight back and win. That's not what it's about. It's never been what it's about. By doing this, you're just diluting and damaging the style that you profess to find so interesting, a style you wanted to write in.

It's like they don't get that the moment you make things stop being cosmic horror, it's no longer cosmic horror and stops being relevant or even part of the whole thing.

Now, after that whining post; besides HP Lovecraft and Robert Chambers, have any of you done used any writers to inform your campaigns scenarios? Like, did you use Ramsey Campbell's The Darkest Part of the Woods for inspiration or draw on The Willows for an idea?
>>
>>50142422
I quite liked the movie Oculus in terms of getting a lot of the themes right, which surprised me since modern horror tends to suck
>>
>>50136454
Tell him it's a serious campaign and you won't allow his meme bullshit.
>>
File: the-king-in-yellow.jpg (119KB, 900x675px) Image search: [Google]
the-king-in-yellow.jpg
119KB, 900x675px
Sorry if this is off topic, but apparently my cleric is actually a cleric of this Hastur fellow and her feeble human mind is just misinterpreting everything, causing her to believe she's serving some LG god while she's actually serving a great old one who is completely unaware of her puny worthless existence. I'm to let out subtle hints at it over time without everyone immediately picking up on it or it derailing the game until the exact moment the DM makes it super obvious.

Problem is, I don't know shit about fuck when it comes to Lovecraft stuff. Where would be a good place to start, and if there isn't one then how do I roleplay a slow and subtle descent into that unknowable horror-type madness?
>>
>>50142849
Hastur is essentially a psychic parasite (if I remember correctly), it is the concept of death, decay and entropy. So long as the idea of things gradually getting worse and eventually stopping he continues to exist, where these ideas are especially prevalent symbols and things related to Hastur begin to manifest and further spread and enhance these concepts. So it could become increasingly obvious that your church, although good, is very fixated on the 'end times' and a long past 'golden age', meaning that sermons for the church likely are these kinds of focal points.

Make sure this is definitely the version of Hastur your GM is using though, HPL was intentionally vague about this stuff.
>>
File: 133172726057.png (200KB, 438x420px) Image search: [Google]
133172726057.png
200KB, 438x420px
What do you guys can tell me about the Horror in the Orient Express box?
How good is it?

I was thinking about running it, but I have way to many players, so I was thinking about a little "ARG", let they solve some puzzles so they can actually win the ticket to "ride" in the Orient Express, almost like an invitation for the efforts in the previous "game". But I don't really know if this is a good ideia.
>>
>>50139558
If you're okay houseruling a little it will work just fine. Take rifle stats, make it take extra rounds to reload, maybe give an accuracy penalty if you're feeling harsh that day. I don't have the book in front of me now, but I'll try to remember to check it out for you and report back.
>>
anyone have any good one shots or material for actung cthuluh?
>>
>>50147495
That's very nice of you, anon. I appreciate it.

To keep up my questions, how relatively lethal are firearms in CoC? Is it hyper-lethal, or does it experience Pathfinder-style HP bloat? Or is it somewhere in-between?
>>
File: 59bzyZA.jpg (26KB, 296x523px) Image search: [Google]
59bzyZA.jpg
26KB, 296x523px
>>50143071
This is good stuff, I can work with this. Thanks mate.
>>
>>50147773
Depends. Most people have a slight chance to survive a single shot from a handgun. It only gets deadlier from there. Guns in CoC are useful for one thing - pressing them against your head and pulling the trigger.

I like how the new Delta Green handled extreme amounts of damage - some weapons now have a Lethality rating, which is a percentile chance to kill someone instantly. For example, an assault rifle burst is 10%. If it fails to kill its target outright, the digits of a d100 are added together and applied as damage.
>>
File: Narly.jpg (590KB, 1920x2743px) Image search: [Google]
Narly.jpg
590KB, 1920x2743px
Hey there, quick question. CoC 6th edition is the first game I ever played about 3 years ago. I've played multiple campaigns as my group has met nearly non stop twice a week ever since that first session and it now holds a special place in my heart. We've moved on to other games a while back like Shadowrun, Star Wars FFG, nWoD, Traveller, both Warhammer Fantasy and Warhammer 40K, Eclipse Phase, and even Actung and Delta Green. However, recently my group have been bringing up memories and might wanna go back to our roots a bit. I heard that there was a seventh edition but I'm not too sure of it and was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on it.

tl;dr Would anyone mind doing a compare and analysis of CoC6th compared to CoC7th? Pros and Cons are greatly appreciated. Also I'm pretty sure Actung Cthulhu/Delta Green doesn't work with 7th, is this true?
>>
>>50149910
I've only skimmed through the 7e book but from what I noticed 7e seems to be an attempt to make the game a bit more forgiving on the players. It struck me as a middle ground between 6e and Pulp Cthulhu. It seems like a fine system but there wasn't really anything about it that made me want to make the switch from 6e.

>Also I'm pretty sure Actung Cthulhu/Delta Green doesn't work with 7th, is this true?
Not sure about Actung but DG was/continues to be focused on compatibility with 6e. I'm sure it wouldn't be too much work to adapt any 7e scenarios to 6e/DG though since 6e and 7e aren't drastically different from each other.
>>
File: Bad Keeper.jpg (112KB, 639x450px) Image search: [Google]
Bad Keeper.jpg
112KB, 639x450px
>>50149910
It is pretty much the same game. The big change is that the main attributes are now percentiles so they can be rolled against more easily.

Combat is also streamline and made much more fun. Now theirs not the miss, miss, miss, hit then dodge system. You and your enemy roll either to hit or to dodge and whoever does better about their skill wins. Its much better.

It also adds two other main ideas. Luck Spending and Pushed Rolls. BOTH ARE OPTIONAL RULES.

Luck Spending is a system were a player can lower their luck to lower there dice roll. It essentially makes the players better at the cost of getting slowly less lucky. I find it really good for long campaigns as it makes players a little more likely to survive to see the next horror. But I don't recommend it for one shot.

Pushed rolls are great, though. If a player fails a roll and can give a reason their character could try the action again then they get a reroll. With the condition that if they fail by ANY degree it counts as a critical fail, and something seriously bad happens. Its a great way to add tension and make the players take tough choices.

Other than those two OPTIONAL rules its the exact same game with some monsters and spells being streamed line.

Also, their are chase rules so you can end a story in a climatic way that isn't a fight.
>>
>>50144263
It's honestly fantastic. A great breth of locations, characters and creatures without feeling forced or chaotic. It flows wonderfully and my players who are just about to finished are shaking with fear and excitement.

I will warn you it took use a year and a half to complete, with weekly sessions through the schoolyear. (2.5-3 hour session) and we didnt even go on all the tangent mission. So it is LONG.

Your plan won't work. The scenario starts with a good friend getting hurt and sending them on a quest to travel across Europe (on the express) and retrieve a series of evil artifacts.

A good prologue will introduce this quest giving professor Smith so that the players feel attached to him.
>>
File: tumblr_nsepppMNuo1u1mmgto1_500.gif (1MB, 450x450px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nsepppMNuo1u1mmgto1_500.gif
1MB, 450x450px
>>50141092
Not Napoleonic specifically no. But it is in the 1920s so there are plenty of old weapon states which could be modified.
>>
>>50150925
I understand. Your review was enough. Thank you anon, I'll look up to that.
>>
So how do you fellows handle reading Mythos tomes and learning spells in your games? Its kinda strange how quite a few scenarios and adventures more or less assume that the players are supposed to learn the stuff they find in the tomes they uncover while investigating, while most of these investigations are done under kinda severe time pressures. Can't really take a sabbatical of 56 weeks to finish reading a tome or 2d6 weeks to possibly learn a spell that you need to stop the baddie.

So how do you do it, /tg/?
>>
Just finished watching Stranger things (watched the whole thing in 24h, only 8 episodes anyways). Was great, would recommend to you guys.
>>
>>50150925
>>50153545 here, how have you handled magic, spells and mythos tomes in your campaign? Im planning on running that and it seems that rules as written none of that magic or serious tome reading will be done during the story. Was there much of that stuff in your campaign? How did you handle it or not handle and why? Thanks!
>>
File: Suicide Bombing Aftermath.jpg (94KB, 634x423px) Image search: [Google]
Suicide Bombing Aftermath.jpg
94KB, 634x423px
I'm looking into running a game of Delta Green set during the ongoing fighting at Mosul, something along the lines of:
The agency picks up the trail of a mythos tome sometime after the fighting starts and sends in a group to check it out.

Does anyone have any experience running games set during current events, and can you give me any advice on it?
>>
Anyone here homebrewed any lovecraftian beasties/Old Ones? I've had a few kicking around in my head, but they're really just lovecraftian interpretations of werewolves and vampires, which is kinda generic.
>>
>>50153825
The players have not used magic yet. There at the end and managed to get the scroll with the spells. The may use it to kill MM on the train making the Prince useless so I may cut him.
>>
>>50142624
I am trying my damnedest to make him change the nationality of his character.
Even if he and I treat his character seriously, the rest of the group will roast him to hell and back if he is actually Swedish.
>>
>>50154348
Do a deep dive into the history of the area and everything that led up to the current events. Not only will you do the place and its people justice in describing it all faithfully, but you'll find all sorts of details that you can weave into your story that mainstream news outlets will never mention. Some of those details can even inspire you to tell a better story than the one you originally thought you'd tell.
>>
>>50114697
Everyone in the Mideast calls it Daesh.

Also no one bysides Saudi-Arabia is as batshit about it as them.
So they are the minority - thus a cult.
>>
>>50139558
See? I damn near did forget. It seems to be mostly WW1 and WW2 era weapons in CoC7, but there is a .58 Springfield Rifle Musket that may be exactly the kind of thing you're looking for. Does 1d10+4 damage against characters that will have around 12 to 14ish HP.
>>
>>50154348
Have you already looked into some of Adam Scott Glancy's work? You can find actual play podcasts to give you a feel for how he runs it.
>>
>>50157384
I'm a big fan of his stuff, the Great War scenarios in particular.
>>
>>50157429
Damn, if you've already heard the APs, this is all I've got left for you. DG got put on a back burner for my group.

http://theunspeakableoath.com/home/2016/08/unspeakable-episode-26-delta-green-gm-workshop-at-gen-con-2016/
>>
>>50116694
>Well, the entire US political establishment might be involved in a literal Satanic blood cult. That's pretty close.
say what?
>>
>>50142422
>I just found out who Brian Lumley is and it gave me cancer. Why would you take something as fragile and delicate as Yog-Sothothery, make it all about "fighting back and having a laugh" and then try to pretend you're writing about cosmic horror.
>I don't get it. I don't get why people keep trying to make cosmic horror optimistic and give people a hope and let them fight back and win. That's not what it's about. It's never been what it's about. By doing this, you're just diluting and damaging the style that you profess to find so interesting, a style you wanted to write in.
>It's like they don't get that the moment you make things stop being cosmic horror, it's no longer cosmic horror and stops being relevant or even part of the whole thing.
eh different strokes for different folks, making a big fuss about this sort of thing just seems like a waste of time and energy

and personally I'd rather run or play in something in the vein of Bloodborne or CthulhuTech than standard CoC anyways, the traditional version of the Mythos that many people espouse just seems like it would be tedious to actually play in for anything more than a oneshot

>>50148801
>Guns in CoC are useful for one thing - pressing them against your head and pulling the trigger.
that's definitely one of the things I really dislike about the BRP system, too low powered for my taste(but then I'm really not a fan of mythos creatures being invincible, most of Lovecraft's stories seem to make it clear that if something is tangible, than it's likely able to be killed, sometimes surprisingly easily, Cthulhu himself seemed to be one of the few exceptions to this, and I'm of the school of thought that the steamer did indeed hurt it, if mostly cause the stars weren't quite right yet)
>>
File: sigmund_freud_dark.jpg (74KB, 600x300px) Image search: [Google]
sigmund_freud_dark.jpg
74KB, 600x300px
I was wondering that since my players are a bit new and thus have trouble coming up with detailed characters, do you guys have any good "20 questions" lists fitting a 1930's Cthulhu game?
>>
>>50158480
>that's definitely one of the things I really dislike about the BRP system, too low powered for my taste(but then I'm really not a fan of mythos creatures being invincible, most of Lovecraft's stories seem to make it clear that if something is tangible, than it's likely able to be killed, sometimes surprisingly easily, Cthulhu himself seemed to be one of the few exceptions to this, and I'm of the school of thought that the steamer did indeed hurt it, if mostly cause the stars weren't quite right yet)
I see what you mean, with a lot of the tangible creatures it's not hopeless because you can't kill them, it's hopeless because it wouldn't do you any good. Your average Deep One can be killed by a shotgun, ok, but that doesn't stop the gradual infiltration and decay of your community due to them, and it won't stop Dagon and his armies from one day rising and overrunning the earth. So please, take that shotgun to every Deep One you encounter, it will gain you little and less.
>>
random question:
I've seen a guide somewhere about how to easily convert old DG stats to the new one but I can't find it now. Anyone knows where it is?
>>
>>50158480
Id say that more depends on what you want then anything else. If you wanted to play an empowering system, why go for horror?

Also, bloodborne is super lovecraftian. After all, you have to use posthuman means (echoes, insight, caryll runs) to become strong and two of three endings have you abandon humanity altogether.
>>
>>50158590
>I see what you mean, with a lot of the tangible creatures it's not hopeless because you can't kill them, it's hopeless because it wouldn't do you any good. Your average Deep One can be killed by a shotgun, ok, but that doesn't stop the gradual infiltration and decay of your community due to them, and it won't stop Dagon and his armies from one day rising and overrunning the earth. So please, take that shotgun to every Deep One you encounter, it will gain you little and less.
see that attitude I hate just as much, works fine for fiction(although I think it's a bit of a dead horse), but in an interactive fiction context like an RPG it just sucks all the fun out of it, like why even bother
>>
>>50158743
>Id say that more depends on what you want then anything else. If you wanted to play an empowering system, why go for horror?
honestly I don't like horror for that context, partially because it's near impossible to pull off in an RPG unless you have a ridiculously good DM and players(and pretty much everyone I know, including myself are absolute crap at the Roleplaying parts of RPGs)

>Also, bloodborne is super lovecraftian. After all, you have to use posthuman means (echoes, insight, caryll runs) to become strong and two of three endings have you abandon humanity altogether.
I'm aware, I meant more in the terms of action and player agency
>>
File: 1465248102678.png (1MB, 740x2076px) Image search: [Google]
1465248102678.png
1MB, 740x2076px
anyone knows what is this from or where can I find more like this?
>>
>>50090126
I read this book and now I'm a nihilist, don't do it
>>
>>50158795
It looks like it's from the Trail of Cthulhu rulebook's bestiary section
>>
>>50158381
Haven't you heard about the US Governments Satanism fetish?
>>
>>50158836
"I read the Revelations of Galaaki and summoned Y'golonac the Defiler who attempted to make me his High Priest."

This reviewer left 1 out of 5 stars.
>>
>>50159186
thanks
>>
>>50158795
It looks like it's from the Trail of Cthulhu rulebook's bestiary section
>>
>>50089925
I wish we had people with some sense who showed that much enthusiasm.

But enthusiasm without quality just becomes meming.
>>
>>50114236
Occasionally while I'm relaxing my perspective shifts to approximately two inches up and back from where my center mass is. This feeling includes all sensation in my limbs and body. Acknowledging it usually staves it off, but lately even when becoming aware that it's happening I have to really fight to get the feeling to go away.

Not sure if that's what you're looking for, but it's been pretty paranoia-inducing and that's what I think of when I think about Lovecraft.
>>
>>50160510

Interesting, I wonder if there is a neurological reason for that. Ever mentioned it to a medical professional or do you consider it not serious enough?
>>
>>50090126
Fuck this guy. I was thinking of writing a book about this very stuff, and he's explained it far more eloquently than I ever could.
>>
Anyone have the 7th Edition Keeper's Screen? I'll be damned if I'm going to pay $15 for a pdf of a screen....
>>
>>50160965
Compared to the spinal problems and lung problems, getting a little spacially confused once or twice every few months isn't a big deal
>>
>>50158614
I don't have anything handy right now, but I can take a crack at it when I get back to my desktop. You got a specific character to convert? Or looking for some guidelines?
>>
Do you have an overarching plot in your campaigns, /ysg/? Or are they just series of episodes with little connection to each other?
>>
File: RADIO SILENCE.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
RADIO SILENCE.pdf
1B, 486x500px
I notice that OP has linked to the short horror film AM1200. I have written a "classic" Delta Green scenario based on AM 1200 which I have included here.
>>
>>50166082

What's the Frequency Kenneth?
>>
File: 1448801754825.gif (3MB, 544x612px) Image search: [Google]
1448801754825.gif
3MB, 544x612px
>>50165088
I always try to connect my stories together.
Either with the same GOO, creature or location.
I even take widely diverse scenarios and find a way to tie them together its fun if you do it right.
I can make your campaigns feel like the Call of Cthulhu Story in a lot of ways.
All these events happening around the world all subtly connected.

>>50161388
Yes. Its good. You should buy the physical copy.
>>
I want to introduce psychic skills like Clairaudience and such into the new Delta Green. How to do it better? I don't really want to add them as separate skills, I think it's better to hook them to something other, similar to how Willpower Points are used to fuel supernatural stuff.

I think they can fit under the Special Training, for Unnatural skill. Maybe even only a fraction of the Unnatural skill, rounded down, is used for such checks. This way it can be really hard to get them and use them aside from special occurences (in other words, whenever the GM needs).

What do you think?
>>
>>50166082
It's good. I think I'll run it. Thanks.
>>
>>50167283
Maybe various Power times X rolls that also cost d4/d6 of Willpower? It shouldn't be widely used and like every thing in DG, there should be a cost, like SAN loss if the predictions turn out correct, perhaps the next time they are wrong and that costs SAN as well.
>>
>>50167283
It should cost SAN also what about from a stroy perspective?
>>
We're Re-Animated baby!

Any one read Re-Animator here?
I have it as one of my favorite Lovecraft stories and it seems to get a lot of hate.
Does not having tentacles just turn people off?
>>
File: 1478480984850.jpg (1MB, 900x4528px) Image search: [Google]
1478480984850.jpg
1MB, 900x4528px
Could I ask you guys from some help? I'm trying to come up with "Paths" for cultists characters that are interesting and varied. I made a list of themes, mostly with the usual stuff like various occult knowledge.

Then a few days ago someone posted this in another thread, which was pretty unrelated to the discussion at times but it gave me additional ideas and made me want to go "further" into the paths than just minor character developments and knowledge, but possibly full body transformations.

So with that in mind, do you have anything of the kind? My plan atm is to reread some stories and note down anything that might be interesting. The usual suspect are of course sea-related things (abyss?), underground as-well, space, time, etc. Of course things like witchcraft, necromancy, thaumaturgy all sounds liek reasonable occult knowledge to look forward to. The character would possibly have to suffer greatly to reach their goal and even play with things they can't fully control.
>>
>>50167940
I'm going to include them in the story as one of the useful (and harmful, as usual) elements, and a way to gain them, or lose them, yes. And yes, it absolutely should cost SAN, but that's too general.

Maybe every character has a secret latent psychic score, equal to half INT at start and never noted anywhere except by the GM. Whenever a character loses SAN to certain unnatural things, it becomes active the first time, and rises by SAN lost in all following occurences, capped by Unnatural skill, or INT, if none.

Just trying to come up with a general rule of thumb that's easy to remember. I can always just wing it, but I'm afraid of going overboard.
>>
>>50165088
I started out running episodic, I'm learning to do the larger campaigns now. Pacing is a major struggle.
>>
>>50167283
There is a system for creating magic spells and other unnatural effects for the new Delta Green. I don't think it's part of the Agent's Handbook though. Detwiller posted a preview of the rules on his Patreon, but it's behind a (cheap) paywall.
>>
>>50158761
I've always defended the action and agency in Bloodborne as a result of the Hunter (or most people in Yharnam really) being about as human as Wilbur Whately, or Deep One hybrids, or ghouls by the time of the game.
>>
>>50167283
See if you can dig up a pdf of Delta Green: Countdown from the old edition. It had a bunch of them.
>>
>>50170096
It will most likely be in Case Officer's Handbook.
>>
>>50090126
Anybody base any campaigns on his stuff?
>>
File: cruise ship.png (22KB, 864x654px) Image search: [Google]
cruise ship.png
22KB, 864x654px
bumping with art from a game I'm making
>>
>>50117571
Lovecraft himself had plenty of shit happening in the poles and there´s a good deal of weird, old and scary things hidden in the snow, and sleeping under the ice.

Having the players travel to the pole with older technology is a very good starting ground for horror.

In any case, the Color out of Space fits anywhere.
>>
>>50117571
there is the arctic wind thingey. Ithaqua.
He has thralls of his own who are pretty hard to kill, also can fly and immune to extreme cold.
>>
>>50164015
guidelines mostly. want to use the "Cold Dead Hand" scenario for a group but I see that the new system is better, especially for new players.
Most of the stuff is straightforward but here and there it's tricky to figure out how the skills convert to the new ones.
I mostly try to do it by ear but it would be good to have some general guidelines if anyone have experience with what works best
>>
File: 1434354227637.png (6MB, 3524x1816px) Image search: [Google]
1434354227637.png
6MB, 3524x1816px
>>50168035
Head to the cyoa threads (choose your own adventure). There´s often similar stuff around.

This is the closest one I can find for you, but I remember having seeing more Lovecraftian stuff.
>>
>>50101583
>Aum Shinrikyo. Those people are so fucked up and nearly everything is so suspicious about them. There's clearly something wrong, they are not just a cult.
I think the suspicion disappeared when they did the Sarin attack m8
>>
>>50158480
>>50158747
>but then I'm really not a fan of mythos creatures being invincible, most of Lovecraft's stories seem to make it clear that if something is tangible, than it's likely able to be killed
Not necessarily. The stuff that gets killed by realistic means in Lovecraft's stories are all low tier beings (with the possible exception of the Mi-Go, but Lovecraft would probably have written them to be nigh invulnerable if he had seen the advances in body armor we have today in his time). But also as >>50158590 says just because something can be killed doesn't mean you can protect yourself entirely from it.
As for sucking the fun out of RPGs, why not limit such encounters as much as you can? Fighting a small number of such creatures a few times in a campaign, provided the encounters are done intelligently and aren't there just because you think stories have to involve action and fighting moments or players will get bored, won't hurt the game. Another approach is to include combat freely, and subvert it, like make it so that it will make players advance and give them bonuses as usual in adventuring RPGs, but behind the scenes it actually just makes things worse. You can even do it like the RPPR Hotline Cthulhu game and have the players use an NPC to carry out actions.
>>
>>50173293
Looking good, what is it?
>>
>>50141092
There are 1890s weapons which include muskets. Sabres are present as well
>>
Did you ever see the antagonists pitted against each other (and not the players) in a way you as a Keeper didn't expect? I have a story.My players used a device for time-travel to set Hounds of Tindalos on a cult that was hunting for said device.

The device was an ornate bronze box with three clock-like dials with unknown symbols and three buttons. No seams, no bolts, just that. The first dial and button was for setting how far in time you need to go, the second dial and button were for setting the affected area radius. The third dial set the activation delay, and the third button started the timer. It always remained at the "start" point in time and space, meaning that if you go back a day, from your perspective it would appear in the place you used it the day after.

So, the cult wanted to find it, go back in time to find their leader who was killed by the players earlier and prevent his death by sending a suicide bomber to kill the party. No cares about any paradoxes. I'll tell how it actually went down in the next post.
>>
>>50177604
The players found the device first due to ridiculous luck, called in some favors, got the whole town evacuated with some bullshit about a toxic spill, sealed the in their catacomb-like complex under the town (it involved multiple gunfights and a couple minutes of fisticuffs), waited until the last civilian left the town, then tuned the device so it would send everything in 5 mile radius 1 hour into thw future after 2 minutes and drove like madmen.

I even rolled some dice to see if the cult gets out and finds the damn thing first. No luck with the search. I had to say that the town reappeared an hour later, with a couple dozen cultists desperately trying to fight off the Hounds in the central square which was round in shape.

They got torn to shreds and eaten. Then the players burned the whole town to the ground. It was blamed on a gas leak combined with rapid evacuation of everyone including the firemen, which is technically true.

I think now something major should happen but not sure what. It's 1947, Bumfuck, Nowhere, USA, and the players are a P.I., an ex-soldier turned journalist, his ex-C.O. turned unemployed drunk, a thug, and a nurse. Any advice?
>>
>>50177631
Sealed the cultists in their complex, I meant.
>>
>>50177631
Have the feds investigate the loss of the town. Seems likely that something that large would draw attention.
>>
File: jazz hands.jpg (33KB, 400x284px) Image search: [Google]
jazz hands.jpg
33KB, 400x284px
What the last spell your PC cast?

How did it go?
>>
>>50180448
Never casted a spell, my PC wasn´t that stupid.
Thread posts: 208
Thread images: 40

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.