[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

New to 40k

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_4375.jpg (394KB, 775x696px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4375.jpg
394KB, 775x696px
Hi tg, I'm interested in getting into warhammer 40k and had a few questions.

As stupid as I find the word some people on here would call me a normie, I have no experience with tabletop and none of my friends would be remotely willing to play. Idk how I even found out about it or why it's so appealing.

Where do you find fun, noncringy people to play with?

I'm interested in sisters of battle/skitarii and elder corsairs. I've been trying to read about them and understand their codexes (any input on which I should choose?) I'm more interested in flavor and fun than being competitive or anything. Where do I start model wise? Anything I should know getting into it?

Thanks for the help!
>>
>>50089229
I'd say get the Skitarii Start Collecting! box for multiple reasons.

It has great savings compared to buying the models in there seperately.

The Skitarii are awesome, especially fluffwise. Cyborg soldiers of the Machine God? Oh yes. My favorite colorscheme and Forge World for them would be Stygies VIII.

Sisters of Battle have extremely outdated models and rules, with their newest model being 15 years old, and one of their more important units now no longer being sold by GW. There's been rumours of plastic Sisters remake, but they're just that. Rumours.

Eldar Corsairs are a ForgeWorld army, which means that you'd have to buy through them instead of GW. This means that you'll end up paying more than a regular army due to pricing. And idiots who think FW is always OP all the time will refuse you, even if FW is usually more balanced.

There's several ways to find people, either at a Friendly Local Game Store, a Games Workshop, or if you have friends/know people who are interested, your/their house.

A good way to learn how to paint would be to watch Warhammer TV's painting tutorials with Duncan Rhodes, extremely helpful!

Just be prepared to spend a sum of money to get started, that's the biggest downside of the hobby, but if you find you enjoy building, painting, and playing, then it'll all be worth it!
>>
>>50089229
>Where do you find fun, noncringy people to play with?
same place you find unfun people to play with, hobby stores, local gaming clubs mostly.

>I'm interested in sisters of battle/skitarii and elder corsairs. I've been trying to read about them and understand their codexes (any input on which I should choose?) I'm more interested in flavor and fun than being competitive or anything.
Mmmh interesting selection.
Sisters of Battle are in a hard spot having had no model update for over a decade, hence all the they will get new models soon.(Might be, but I would bot recommend them right now)
Eldar Corsair are a forgeworld army (a gw daughter company) which means they are far more expensive and their stuff is only available through mail order. also some people decline playing against FW for reasons.(most are IMHO wrong, but nogame is nogame)
so i recommend skiitari/cult mech for starters.

the codex, rulebook etc should be in the 40k general thread

>Where do I start model wise? Anything I should know getting into it?
paint your models, remove moldlines etc. accept the first models will not look good. get some veteran to help you. GW stores usually offer paint lessons too. You might later on ally SoB and Skiitari as both are Imperium.

Modelwise and moneywise the start collectin box is a good startin point.
>>
>>50089414
>>50089356
Thanks for the input!

What are skitarii tactics/how are they play wise?

I'm doing French embassy related work so the Joanne of arc imagery has me looking at sisters- is it hard making a balanced army with allies?
>>
>>50089581
Skitarii are about Tier 3, from what I remember, so somewhat balanced. They have really strong guns, good armor, and nice rules. They have a lack of transports, unfortunately. Skitarii are unique in that they do not have any HQs except in formations that utilise the AdMech units, like the Start Collecting box does with the Dominus HQ that it comes with.

You could definitely do allies, but I don't really know how Sisters play.
>>
>>50089229
I think Skitarii are great in your situation for a lot of the reasons other anon have pointed out, but since I find Eldar Corsairs interesting and if you're new to the hobby this might be new and interesting to you.

You may or may not have heard of proxying, where you're using pre-existing rules to represent something different from the fluff, and using a different model to represent pre-existing units from your chosen ruleset.

So let me clarify by giving you a relevant example. Even though there is an army list for Eldar Corsairs by Forge World (an anon earlier mentioned them), if you wanted to, you could use the Dark Eldar army list and a mix of Dark Eldar and Craftworld Eldar models to represent Corsairs on the tabletop. Dark Eldar are a kind of glass cannon army, fast moving and hard hitting but pretty fragile. They have lots of Skimmer vehicles. This is a pretty cool concept for Corsair Gunships, and Archons (Dark Eldar HQ units) are pretty customizable, and could work well as your Corsair Lord.

What's fun about this is how you interpret the units you're proxying. Dark Eldar have a unit called Wyches, which are basically gladiatorial combat cultists. If you wanted to, you could could mix and match their kit with the Eldar Storm Guardians kit (Storm Guardians are basic Eldar infantry with swords and pistols) to make your basic swashbuckling Corsair swordsmen.
>>
>>50089833
I was looking at dark eldar too, their models are p great. I'll consider doing it this way
>>
File: IMG_3109.jpg (107KB, 736x1173px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3109.jpg
107KB, 736x1173px
>>50089833
>Recommending filthy Xenos instead of glorious cyborg minions
And that's a new servitor.
>>
>>50089913
there it starts.
you will have 5 armies
trust me
>>
>>50090259
I'm having such a hard time deciding hahah

Would someone really deny me a game if I'm using forge world stuff? Seems so silly it's just a game
>>
>>50090041
Skitarii look intimidating to paint
>>
>>50090390
Dry brush everything.
>>
>>50090373
It's not as common as before, but some people would, as they'll either claim FW isn't legal (False, FW is the part of the same company as GW), or is too OP (Mostly false, but some of their things are.)

>>50090390
Yeah, that is a bit of a problem, and I agree with you there. Really, just choose whichever you like most, both fluff-wise and looks-wise. This way you can appreciate how your army looks as well as their stories!
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.