[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Working on a homebrew system. Wanted to run some ideas by you.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: psychopomp.png (460KB, 612x792px) Image search: [Google]
psychopomp.png
460KB, 612x792px
Working on a homebrew system. Wanted to run some ideas by you.

>Resolution Mechanic
The game is card based. The GM deals out a hand of cards to each player drawn from a standard 52-card deck.
You make tests by playing 2 to 4 matching cards from your hand (match suit or rank), adding bonuses, and comparing the result to a difficulty rating to determine success or failure.

>Blind Tests
If you have no matching cards in hand, or you want to save your cards for later, you can make a blind test.
You make blind tests by revealing cards from the top of the deck until two matching cards are revealed. You make your test with those cards.

>Fatigue/Mana
Some actions have fatigue costs or mana costs. You pay fatigue costs by discarding that many cards from your hand of any type. You pay mana costs by discarding that many face cards from your hand.

>Breathe
You refresh your hand by using the 'Breathe' action to draw cards."

Continued in next post
>>
>Initiative
Initiative works more or less similar to Savage Worlds.
After the GM deals opening hands at the beginning of combat, put one card from your hand forward to be your Initiative card.
You can spend an action to return your Initiative card to your hand and put a different card from your hand in its place. This change to initiative goes into effect at the beginning of the next round.

>Damage
When you hit with a one-handed weapon, use the lowest card in your attack test to determine damage.
When you hit wit ha two-handed weapon, you use the highest card in your attack test to determine damage.
Two-card attack tests are soft attacks.
Three-card attack tests are medium attacks.
Four-card attack tests are hard attacks.
You gain bonuses to damage as appropriate.

Some weapons grant additional bonuses when you play a straight, or when you play certain suits.

>Stamina
Your stamina stat determines maximum hand size; discard down at the end of your turn.

>Spirit
Your spirit stat determines how many cards you draw when you take the Breathe action.

>Shuffling
Some effects are noted as {Duration: Shuffle} or {Refresh: Shuffle}. The GM has to shuffle the discard pile back into the deck periodically, so we use this as a time marker.
>>
ok guys I understand these ideas fucking suck
>>
>Preservation
Gold has no value in this game. The PC's are at war with entropy itself.
When you defeat chaos creatures, you are rewarded with Preservation points.

You can pick up loot, but you have to spend Preservation points to prevent these items from degrading. Degraded items are lost at the end of the game session.

>Ammunition and Other Consumables
Ammo is handled abstractly.
Ammo takes up space in your inventory, but instead of tracking individual bullets and arrows you simply spend Preservation points to reload your weapon.

>Encumbrance
The game uses an abstract system for encumbrance similar to Lamentations of the Flame Princess.
Over-encumbered characters take penalties to their Stamina.

>Followers
Followers, or retainers, have their own skills that cost Preservation points to use.
These Preservation costs are based on the follower's Fear score.
Fear increases when you fail Sanity tests.
You can make Conversation tests during rest scenes to reduce your follower's Fear.
>>
So if anybody can give me specific reasons why these ideas suck, I would be glad to hear them. ^^
>>
>>50089115
it would help if we knew what you system was supposed to do, can't say if something's a success or not without knowing the plan
>>
>>50089210
Half the game is crunchy, tactical combat.
The other half is rest and exploration scenes with a focus on resource management, and wearing the PC's down.
>>
>>50089273
the crunchy tactical combat aspect seems at odds with your resolution system, what you have would be a little bit too random, it feels more like players would just be trying to assemble the best hand they can, there's no call to engage tactically.

You also mentioned wearing the PCs down but you've not mentioned any kind of damage or injury system, so how are they being wore down?
>>
>>50088980
How "Breathe" action works? Is just a draw card per turn or what?
>>
>>50090388
You get a major action, a minor action, and a move action during your turn.
Breathe is a minor action.
I'm torn on whether I want Breathe to be 'draw one card', 'draw up to your maximum hand size', or 'draw [stat] cards'.
I think that's a thing that's going to take playtesting.

>>50089693
It's less random than d20.
>>
>>50090506
>It's less random than d20.
well yes but still, what mechanics exist to encourage players to approach conflicts tactically
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.