[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are some cool end-of-the-world scenarios?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: salvageprogram_p4.jpg (441KB, 1530x1891px) Image search: [Google]
salvageprogram_p4.jpg
441KB, 1530x1891px
What are some cool end-of-the-world scenarios?
>>
>>50086576
these days an end of WORLD event is less likely than an end of civilization event.

though for end of WORLD I like the events of WORM.
a giant pan-dimensional space-going entity devours all of the potential realities of a planet as sustenance

though end of civilization can happen easily. more easily now with the internet the way that it is.
http://www.cracked.com/personal-experiences-2403-6-reasons-why-new-civil-war-possible-terrifying.html
>>
>>50087646
Oh boy. A list site. Can't wait to be enlightened.
>>
>>50087903
eh, Cracked tends to do fair research, or hire actual genuine experts.

I'd put them above average reliability even for a list site.
>>
>>50087965
I don't think I'd consider clickbait and "deliberately overexaggerate character traits to make a movie the editor doesn't like seem like shit" fair research, though.
>>
>>50088123
I said, "tends to" the articles I read tended to have citations to things other than wikipedia or references to actual experts.

and I was posting the article as an example of how terribly feasible an anarchic end of civilization can be.

it lends insight to a potential societal breakdown, getting behind that kind of mindset helps people GM for that kind of setting or game.
>>
An idea a friend had for a novel : the first nuclear bomb test is successful, but seconds later, the body of God and millions of angels fall dead from the sky. God's body explodes and billions of souls of the dead spill out, covering the earth in a dark fog, disrupting electronics, and possessing the weak.
>>
>>50088249
a theistic apocalypse would appeal to me

perhaps some clever-dicks find ways to harness all the old souls or collect them to empower themselves and thus create either monsters or magics.

that, and do remember, every person alive has ancestors...
>>
>>50086576
Ripped bodily from Ars Magica with the names filed off. Probably wont fit your cosmology, but could be good as inspiration.

>The End of Time
A cult discovers how to influence the heavens, and are using their newfound knowledge to stop the Moon, thus halting the rotation of the celestial spheres and (according to them) free humanity from the endless circle of time. The more immediate results are part of the Moon falling to Earth, poisoning much of the world's waters, storms of Aether raging across the world, and unnatural beasts and plants spreading across the land. Also magic gets fucked over because most magic uses durations based on the movement of the heavens.

There's also the Great Pestilence, but I don't like it as much.
>>
>>50087903
This is one of their better articles, where they get actual experts to explain it. The pop-culture articles are shit, though.
>>
>>50086576

The engine that keeps the world running hits a snag. Maybe a twisted cog, maybe a snapped axle, maybe something stuck between gears, whatever. Point is, the rest of the intricate, efficient and well-built engine has no failsafes for this, and runs itself to a breaking point, resulting in cataclysmic results in the world itself, culminating in the world just stopping dead in it's tracks. No motion, no turning, just sits there in space like a petrified duck.
>>
>>50087965
>Cracked tends to do fair research, or hire actual genuine experts
You're joking, right?
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.