[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ Fifth Edition General:

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 379
Thread images: 42

File: Blinsky.png (513KB, 494x531px) Image search: [Google]
Blinsky.png
513KB, 494x531px
>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
https://mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
https://mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>/tg/ character sheets
https://mega.nz/#F!x0UkRDQK!l-iAUnE46Aabih71s-10DQ

Previous Thread >>50077290
"Is no fun, is no Blinsky!" edition. Also, "Still waiting for Volo scans" edition.

What do you think of Curse of Strahd? Is it true when people say that it's the best official adventure yet?
>>
File: 1478115595805.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
1478115595805.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
Some of the monster races.
>>
File: table of contents.jpg (411KB, 900x1200px) Image search: [Google]
table of contents.jpg
411KB, 900x1200px
>>
>>50082110
Is concentrating on bless worth /not/ concentrating on flaming sphere or faerie fire? I might be underestimating the bonus it gives, but it always seemed to be worse than those options.
>>
>>50082131
Should I be in melee that much? And like above, it is that much better than level 3 flaming sphere, which I get for free? Actual question, maybe I'm missing something.
>>
How do you rule trying to cast a spell without that fact being noticed?
>>
>>50082156
Advantage is average of +5
1d4 is average of +2.5
>>
>>50082076
Jeez, bugbear should have a major drawback alongside all those bennies.
>>
>>50082188
That's what sleight of hand is for, for somatic/material components at least.
>>
>>50082188
If it doesn't have vocal components, I allow my players to roll for deception to disguise their magical gestures as simple hand waving. They usually get a disadvantage, unless they're trying to fool an italian or a jew, to whom those wild movements will seem normal.
Alternatively, they can play a sorcerer and pick up subtle spell or still spell.
>>
>>50082167
Guardian doesn't hurt friend. Guardian hinder enemy. 3d8 is better than 3d6 (if you cast flaming sphere with level 3 slot). 15 feet around you is a pretty big area (compare to flaming sphere 8 square). Radiant damage is better than Fire damage.
>>
Is it possible to make a bladelock that doesn't suck without boning feats or going mountain dwarf for armor?
>>
File: h_logo.gif (18KB, 600x144px) Image search: [Google]
h_logo.gif
18KB, 600x144px
So my group wanted to play as Orcs and Goblins and asked me to write an adventure for them. I've considered adjusting hoard of the dragon queen for them, but it didn't work out so well.
So I wrote around a bit and came up with the following ideas:

>humans settled down in the tribe's territory and are building a keep there. The chieftain asks them to take care of them

>Someone or something poisoned the river and orcs are dying by the dozen. The PC go investigate and find a necromancer who taints the waters

>A meteor crashed down a few miles north and the shaman wants the PCs to go get it because its some kind of omen

Thing is, I'm not too happy with those ideas either.
Any suggestions and/or ideas for an Orc/Goblin adventure?
>>
How tall are kenku anyway?
>>
>>50082259
We smash puny hoomans
We get shiny sparklies

It's like a goblin dungeon crawling campaign, except the tables have turned
>>
>>50082241
Start with 1 level in fighter.
>>
>>50082263
Like 5 ft I think.
>>
>>50082286
At that point I might as well just go eldritch knight though, right?
>>
>>50082259
There's a new orc chief in town, and he's trying to conquer and unite all the tribes, so he can create an orcish kingdom.
Trouble is, while he is crazy strong and has loyal followers, he has no respect for the old traditions, the tribal independency, the gods, warrior's honor or simple rules of warfare.
And he's winning. If you want to keep the old ways, you need to bring him down, or YOUR tribe is next.
>>
>>50082156
I honestly don't like flaming sphere as a spell. Melee seem to always be in the way

As for faerie fire vs bless, it depends on the situation. Is anyone going to go invisible? Can people get advantage from something else? Are people going to need the extra 1d4 for saves in the fight?
>>
>>50082276
Yeah but my group wants "more" than a simple dungeon or village crawl... Because apparently orcs need epic adventures.

>>50082303
That's good. Thank you, Anon.
>>
>>50082298
No. They are different.
>>
>Fallen Aasimar makes a perfect Paladin
Wut?
>>
So, if the Tabaxi are back, does that mean they'll acknowledge Maztica? I'm looking forward to fantasy counterpart culture done right- plenty of research, playing to all the stereotypical notes in a respectful tone, and of course the Masked War-Priest kit.
>>
>>50082076
>You live underwater? you have resistance to cold damage even though temperatures underwater are never below those you can find on the surface
>You live in snowcovered mountains and other cold places? get out of here
Fuck you wotc
>>
File: Euron Greyjoy.jpg (169KB, 489x500px) Image search: [Google]
Euron Greyjoy.jpg
169KB, 489x500px
>>50082315
For inspiration, look for Euron Greyjoy.

"We shall have no king but from the kingsmoot." The Damphair stood. "No godless man—"

"—may sit the Seastone Chair, aye." Euron glanced about the tent. "As it happens I have oft sat upon the Seastone Chair of late. It raises no objections." His smiling eye was glittering. "Who knows more of gods than I? Horse gods and fire gods, gods made of gold with gemstone eyes, gods carved of cedar wood, gods chiseled into mountains, gods of empty air . . . I know them all. I have seen their peoples garland them with flowers, and shed the blood of goats and bulls and children in their names. And I have heard the prayers, in half a hundred tongues. Cure my withered leg, make the maiden love me, grant me a healthy son. Save me, succor me, make me wealthy . . . protect me! Protect me from mine enemies, protect me from the darkness, protect me from the crabs inside my belly, from the horselords, from the slavers, from the sellswords at my door. Protect me from the Silence." He laughed. "Godless? Why, Aeron, I am the godliest man ever to raise sail! You serve one god, Damphair, but I have served ten thousand. From Ib to Asshai, when men see my sails, they pray."

The priest raised a bony finger. "They pray to trees and golden idols and goat-headed abominations. False gods . . ."

"Just so," said Euron, "and for that sin I kill them all. I spill their blood upon the sea and sow their screaming women with my seed. Their little gods cannot stop me, so plainly they are false gods. I am more devout than even you, Aeron. Perhaps it should be you who kneels to me for blessing."
>>
>>50082315
What I did with my party of orcs was have them trying to become heroes. Because while orcs have to WORK to get human lands or steal their shit, adventurers get that stuff for just killing a few dudes. Plus, splitting loot four (or however many players you have) ways is always more profitable than "the chief gets everything."
>>
>>50082350
Cold weather gear cancels out cold weather but not cold water. As far as I am aware there is no fantasy wetsuit.
>>
>>50082370
Could just give them a resistance to cold temperature without resistance to cold damage though
something like "you can tolerate temperatures down to XX degrees"
>>
>>50082350
Goliaths are pretty meh, and the new races made then even weak now
>>
>>50082298
Delaying Warlock progression for 1 level isn't the same as dropping yourself to 1/3 caster. Fighting Style and Heavy Armor is worth it for bladelock. They fix a lot of your problem.
>>
>>50082408
I'll take your word on it, cutebutt
Is it worth it to take 2 levels for action surge?
>>
>>50082431
If you want to go dip two levels anyway, why not go paladin? You'll actually get smites from this one, and you'll have plenty of spell slots to spare.
>>
>>50082447
Paladins are fags
>>
>>50082431
Depend on your group. Action Surge isn't that much fun, unless you get to take a short rest every encounter.
>>
Can I take paladin 6 and then warlock 3 to get levitate invocation, which requires that you be level 9?
>>
>>50082544
Page 110

> A level prerequisite refers to your level in this class

If the text isn't there, you need to get a new PHB.
>>
>>50082544
no
>>
>>50082528

Why would your DM allow so many short rests? That's just asking to be ganked? Even more so in Barovia
>>
>>50082570
I think that was his point, yes
>>
>>50082560
So if you have wizard5/cleric6 you aren't considered 11th level for cantrips, got it.
>>
>>50082643
No, that's only for halfcasters and martials, full casters always get the nice things.
>>
>>50082643
You are, since those aren't class abilities, they're spells. Speaking of spells and multiclassing, you would only be able to cast level 3 spells despite having 6th level spell slots with your wizard/cleric there
>>
>>50082643
Nice strawman brah. That text is specific for Warlock Invocation. It's in Invocation section for a reason.

Read your PHB before you make yourself look stupid next time.
>>
Can someone help decorate / populate a dungeon for me?

What should it look like, what features / traps should it have, and who should inhabit it (if any creatures).

Basically the idea is it's a grotto that a sea hag lives in by herself, and the idea is that it's full on reverse wizard tower and she's going to pay the adventurers to kick her deadbeat neckbeard son out (who lives at the very bottom).

No clue on how to detail it otherwise though. Any help?
>>
What kind of company would a royal Marid keep / party with?
>>
>>50082076
>kobold player race

fuuuuuuuuuuuuUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUuuuuuuuuuuUUUUUuUUuuuUUuuuuuuuuuuuck
>>
>>50082544
No, you're a warlock, and warlocks are OP nomatter what math and common sense say, so they get nerfed in many ways. Happens the same to monks, even though they deal lower damage than all other martials and have multiple attribute dependency they're OP.
>>
>>50082725

Stop being a passive aggressive twat.
>>
>>50082725

Um.. What
>>
>>50082725
Is this a joke? because Warlocks and Monks are pretty fucking strong, Warlock is probably tied with Bard as the best caster, and Monk is 3rd best martial (beinf Fighter and Paladin the 1st and 2nd) both in defense and damage.
>>
>>50082808
I'm not sure I would claim that warlock is better than sorc/wiz
>>
>>50082725
How did they nerf monk? Other than waterwhip
>>
>>50082808
>Monks are pretty fucking strong
LOL, the only thing monk has is stunning strike, its damage is mediocre, worse than rougue

>Warlock is probably tied with Bard as the best caster
Bards are overrated, would take wizard any day. Warlocks are strong until you hit high levels, because your acces to 6th+ level spells is very limited, besides depending on DM, short rests can be very scarce

>Monk is 3rd best martial (beinf Fighter and Paladin the 1st and 2nd) both in defense and damage.
Barbarian>Fighter>Paladin>Rougue>monk in terms of DPR
>>
>>50082303
...isn't this just the plot of Warcraft?
>>
>>50082830
Not him but in the playtest they dealt more damage (started with 1d6 up to 1d12), could, at 11th level spend 1 ki to add 1d10 to all attacks for 1 minute, etc, devs even outright said that for the official PHB monks would have 1d10 HPs and even more damage than the one in the playtest because they needed it. Somehow this didn't end in the official PHB and it shows, monk is behind everyother martial in damage, more if you use feats, even more if you use magic items, triple more if you use spells (BB on rogues for example). They only shine from 1st to 6th level, and then they're consigned to oblivion. Doesn't help that at best their AC is going to be 16 and their HPs 9 at 1st level.
>>
>>50082847
You forgot to add Ranger, even ranger outdamages monk easily.
>>
>>50082883
Haha, true. When the game was released everyone was hyped for the monk because they are viable compared to 3.5. Now that the dust has settled, most agree it still is behind the others melee classes
>>
>>50082876

> what is having proficiency all saves

> what is evasion

> what is shrugging off fear/charmed because monk

> what is getting up in that asshole caster's face in one round

> what is getting rerolls on saves

> what is flipping off poison and disease entirely

> what is having some awesome subclasses (long death, open palm)

Monks may not have the sheer damage output of other martial classes - and even then sun soul is a thing - but they have plenty of shit to make up for that. In any combat situation where people don't line up and slug it out round by round, monks do very well.
>>
>>50082897
Is not outright useless like in 3.PF but is still lacking, without feats the difference is minimal, almost negible, but with feats, man, every martial ever BTFO the poor monk.
>>
>>50082910
>> what is having proficiency all saves
Something that doesn't happen till 14th fucking level, nigga, most games die before that
>> what is getting rerolls on saves
See above
>>
Kobold PC stats suck:
+2 dex but -2 str (the only race so far in 5E with a penalty)
Small size, move speed 30 ft., darkvision
Advantage on attack rolls if an ally is next to the enemy
Action to give allies advantage on attack rolls to enemies within 10 feet
Disadvantage to attack rolls and perception in sunlight

Why do they get penalties in sunlight, small size, and also -2 str? Is the ability to throw a temper tantrum and give advantage that powerful? The ability to grovel in fear seems weirdly specific, like there is some DnD lore that wizards is trying to force-feed me, like kender or gully dwarves.
>>
>>50082944
No, this is what's so powerful:
>Advantage on attack rolls if an ally is next to the enemy
>>
>>50082933
Also
>> what is shrugging off fear/charmed because monk
Takes an action, action you might not have if you're charmed, frightened, read the effects
>> what is flipping off poison and disease entirely
Diseases and poisons are shit in this edition, woah, fucking awesome, you now don't receive 2.5 extra damage from poison (when your life is like 70-80 at that level) nice work
>> what is getting up in that asshole caster's face in one round
Barb and rogue do it better and earlier and without spending resources
>>
>>50082910
Sun Soul is not that great in damage, anon, their first feature doesn't help, their second (costs 2 ki) is not that awesome either unless you caught 4+ enemies, their 3rd only matters if you nova and then your damage drops hard. Do the math, is slightly better than the average monk but still falls behind almost every other martial.
>>
>>50082920
I dont like the -5 hit +10 dam feats in genaral, every other other option cannot compete
>>
>>50082875
Warcraft 2, IIRC
>>
>>50083033
>I dont like the -5 hit +10 dam feats in genaral
They are fine because every class can use one or the other (and most would use them unless they're focused in casting)...except monks, that's my main beef with them.
>>
>>50083062
>They are fine because every class can use
Yeah, but they become a feat tax
>>
>>50082632

>>50064473
>>
>>50083062
And don't forget magic items
I played a precon game and everybody had +1 armor, shield, weapon, whatever, and I have a dagger (not even short sword, quarterstaff or spear) and I could only use it on 1 attack, 2 at 5th level, they were doing at least 3 and benefitting from their bonuses and extras on all of them.
>>
>>50083109
>Yeah, but they become a feat tax
Not really, once you reach 20 on your main stat you will want to spend into feats for sure.

Is not always a must, my AT rogue did more than fine with any of them abusing BB+SA+Cunning Action, my Pal/War/Sor also did fine quickening GFB every turn.
>>
File: tabaxi.jpg (431KB, 918x1632px) Image search: [Google]
tabaxi.jpg
431KB, 918x1632px
Any word on Tabaxi stats, other than Dex/Cha?
>>
Can anyone here help me with druids? I dont get their spell list, it seems bad compared to other casters, an I missing something? I'm talking about spellcasting (and I think I'll play land druid), so dont bring moon druids
>>
>>50082944
Some of these racials don't make sense when you consider a whole army of that race:
Hobgoblin get +5 to hit on a short rest because people are watching them.
Kobolds can give allies advantage by throwing a fit, even though they give advantage anyway just by being next to them.
Goblins can sometimes do a little extra damage to people bigger than them.
Bugbears get reach and stealth and surprise attack and powerful build because they are the master race apparently. Somehow bugbears haven't conquered and enslaved all other races yet.
>>
>>50083201
Bugbears are too stupid and me smash to conquer, and perhaps lacking in numbers as well
>>
>>50083201
>powerful build
Whats the utility of this besides carryng more weight?
>>
>>50083189
They get Conjure Beasts. That's all you need in combat. 8 Wolves or Elk will wreck most encounter until you get a higher level conjure x spells.
>>
>>50083182
That art is weird as fuck, does it want to be a cat or a dog? Also those hare hind legs
>>
>>50083234
>cat or a dog
Both, its an hyena
>>
>>50083220
none, as for carrying more weight, depends, I played a lot of goliaths in different groups and GMs got super salty that I could carry all that stuff, so they decided to go "nah, it doesn't weight much but it's unweildy so you can't have all of that", funny when you think because these were different GMs that didn't know each other at all.
>>
>>50083259
>nah, it doesn't weight much but it's unweildy so you can't have all of that
that's not an unreasonable point, to be fair, but it's easily countered by "well I'll just dump everything into a cart and pull it" or similar
>>
>>50083182
I heard they have an ability that lets them move twice as fast, but can't use it again until they stand still for a turn.
>>
>>50083284
It's unreasoable when the only reason behind it is to fuck a class feature. I wouldn't be that upset about it if the feature also gave a +1 to damage with heavy or 2hd weapons for example, you still can use it.

As for the cart, I tried that, sadly every place we went was anti-cart material. I basically had the same carrying capacity as a human of my str, so my feature was absolutely useless, and don't get me started on the "I throw a boulder, rock, keg, whatever", only tried once, never again.
>>
So in the last thread someone linked the UA version of the ranger and I have to say. Its a huge improvement on the base ranger. But it almost seems too powerful now. Like why would you want to play a fighter over that?

Am I missing Something or am I right here? Just wondering from people who have used it in game. I'm just going off a quick read.
>>
Is Light Cleric a good replacement for "Mystic Theurge"? UA Theurge Wizard is obviously ban.
>>
>>50083383
Why obviously?
>>
>>50083388
Because if it wasn't he wouldn't be asking probably
>>
>>50083383
Arcane cleric from SCAG?
>>
>>50083349
that is some bullshit
I wish people who pull stuff like that would just be upfront from the beginning and say "that race doesn't exist in my setting"
>>
>>50083421
> Doesn't even get Fireball
>>
>>50083367
Fighter is still better in combat and maybe in social encounter.
>>
>>50083383

It's not bad, but you may also look into tempest. That maximised damage channel divinity does not mess around.
>>
Do you have a decently high spell save for your level? Faerie fire is only good if it sticks. If you're up against a creature with a pretty good dex save, better to go bless for the guaranteed buff. Otherwise, unless you have another source of advantage (like flanking rules) faerie fire is usual better.
>>
>>50083248
Hyena's are ursine.
>>
How would you translate a Sohei1/Enlightened Paladin7?
>>
>>50082312
is flaming sphere just a straight up shittier version of moonbeam? i wanna make sure im not missing anything
>>
>>50083491
You can't, not only those archetypes don't have a match in 5e, the multiclass of those classes in 5e is buttfucking horrible.
>>
>>50083491
Sohei are literally monks. Paladins are paladins, whatever. Pick an oath, probably Ancients.
>>
>>50083427
>>50083349
As a permaDM, I don't understand that ppl can't grasp the concept of roleplaying games. You have to enforce rules and you have to say "no" to your players sometimes, but it's mostly about letting them be awesome and do awesome shit.

Otherwise what's the point
>>
>>50083529
There's a decent combo with Pyrotechnics
>>
>>50083533
>Soheir are literally monks
That use medium armor without hindering their monk features at all and can flurry with any weapon ever and spend ki to improve that weapon
>Paladins are paladins
That have similar unarmed features to monks, add Cha to AC to medium armors (because they're only proficient in medium armors) and their ""smite evil"" is actually something that adds bonuses to attack, damage, AC and saves for the whole combat.
>>
>>50083533
>How do I synth summoner?
>I dunno, they summon stuff so druid lol
>>
>>50083564
Says who? I mean, you can argue that real sohei were armed and armored and so would be better represented by fighters with the acolyte background, but exact class features are not going to carry over on a one-for-one basis like that.
>>
>>50083579
So is the answer you're looking for "play Pathfinder instead of 5e"? Because if you need the exact class features of a class that only exists in Pathfinder instead of just the general flavor, that's your answer.
>>
>>50083597
he's clearly talking about translating pf classes
>>
>>50083597
And that's why I told him he can't, 5e doesnt support neither that multiclass nor the defining features of those subclasses
>>
>>50082408
do they still fair well without heavy armor? or is it just utter trash?
>>
>>50083622
And the answer is to work in broad strokes and not get all autistic about it. You want someone who fights with weapons and armor and who has a religious background based on the setting's equivalent of Buddhism. That could be a fighter or a paladin of some kind.
>>
>>50083491
>Translating from any other system/edition to 5e
Doesn't work 80% of the time, say no to your GM and play a genuine 9th level 5e char.
>>
>>50083259
There's also how much you can lift, so that boulder, cave in, portcullis blocking your escape, etc. is no longer a problem.
>>
>>50083667
Fuck man, I just realized how quick any attempt at starting a Hindu style religion would get squashed in D&D.
>God is everything and everywhere, even yourself
>But that god sent their cleric into a town where they wreaked havoc, and the nice clerics had to clean it up. I know cause I was there, and they both called out their god's name and then performed magic, some helpful some harmful.
>Umm...
>>
>>50083769
Some aspects of Hinduism would just be factually incorrect in a D&D world. But you can frame other elements of Hinduism in a way that works with the facts of life in a D&D world. Hinduism does have multiple gods, and some gods/demons are actively malevolent, if only "from a certain point of view."
>>
>>50083230
So i have a question regarding that
Why would i take summon elemental/fey when summon beasts provides me the same CR of monster for a lower spell slot
Im new so be gentle :^(
>>
>>50083810
Sometimes you may need a special ability that only a fey or elemental has. Beasts tend to not have any abilities more impressive than flying and/or eating people.
>>
>>50083810
i will rape you in your sleep
>>
>>50082188
>how do you make spells more powerful and ignore one if the smallest drawbacks in the game?
>>
File: 1464547484232.jpg (149KB, 1161x670px) Image search: [Google]
1464547484232.jpg
149KB, 1161x670px
>>50083834
>>
>>50083810

Elemental Damage
Ranged damage
Access to spells from that creature
>>
>>50083833
Perfect example: in 5e, the only way to detect another creature's alignment is by conjuring a pixie.
>>
>>50083542
Still just seems blatantly worse imho
I was trying to play a fire themed character but if its just a smaller moonbeam with less damage then idk
>>
>>50082241
6 levels in paladin
>>
>>50083854
*conjuring a sprite
>>
>>50080897
What, don't you that that a froppish man wearing tights and holding a lute is FAR more intimidating than a giant monster?
>>
>>50082055
Where in the Monster Manual are tge rules for monsters as PCs/level adjustments? My GM is blind, and I'm at work. Please help.
>>
>>50083667
Depends on what he's playing, as far as I know enlightened paladin doesn't need to pray, and from what I can tell that multiclass is basically a monk with light armor (Cha to AC on top pf that) and all paladin goodies (including spells). So Dex paladin with light armor and tavern brawler?

Wait, no, unarmed is str only unless monk, nah, he's fucked
>>
>>50083903
There are none. Monsters, and even NPCs, are not suitable for playing as. You can check the leaked Volo's Guide material for the rules on playing certain monsters as PCs, or you can just try to make it up with the help of your DM.
>>
>>50083927
So no templates? Rules for Vampires, etc?
>>
>>50083796
So instead of Vishnu and Shiva, it's constructive gods and destructive gods, and both are necessary for the universe to function? I could get behind that.
>>
>>50083915
See, and this is what I mean by getting too autistic about it. If you think of a character as a bundle of game rules and not as a person, you won't be able to convert him to your satisfaction.
>>
>>50083897
That depends on the size of his erection and the manner in which he intends to use it.
>>
>>50083952
Some D&D settings, especially Dragonlance, play up the idea that "good" and "evil" forces are both necessary for life to go on.
>>
>>50083650
Pretty bad. You are force into DEX-build without proper support (fighting style), so your damage and defense will be shit.

>>50083810
Summon Fey get you 1/3 chance to call out 8 Pixie, who can then Polymorph your whole party into Giant Ape.
>>
I'm thinking of making my own play mats by printing out and laminating grids

Does any one have a pdf for tiles and shit?
>>
>>50083953
>le play a paladin and say your fullplate is being naked and your greatsword is punches and kicks post
Refluffers are worse than furries
>>
>>50083367
There's already no reason to play Fighter over a Paladin but people still do it and never question let alone bring up that the Paladin is just Fighter+.
>>
>>50083983
Just go a Google image search for "square grid"

Alternatively, you can buy big pads of paper that have 1" grid lines already written on them.
>>
File: IMG_1629.jpg (176KB, 990x600px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1629.jpg
176KB, 990x600px
What's better for an archetypal "slasher" bugbear monk?
>Shadow
>Create and thrive in shadows and darkness and sneaking, move your huge form through impossible spaces by teleporting between shadows, jumpscare and exploit weakness
>Long Death
>Get THP by killing to be a hulking murder machine, magical aura of fear, you just can't kill it, touch of death
>>
>>50083915
why is he fucked?, he can still focus on Str while rising Dex to not have shitty AC and Cha, because paladin, also Con because even the best light armor is pretty shitty for a full martial, 4 stats aren't that crazy
>>
>>50084018

I was just hoping there'd be something out there already in scale, and perhaps desposition for standandard usual >>50084018
distributions, like 2*8 corridos, or 12*12 rooms
>>
>>50084019
Long death for sure, though monk is not a class to kill, ist the worst at it.
>>
>>50083986
Who said anything about refluffing? I'm talking about how it's necessary to change some things when you convert a character. Real changes, not just imagined ones. If you convert your 2e first-level fighter to 5e, he's no longer going to be able to attack one-and-a-half times a round with his favorite weapon. If you convert a spellcaster from another edition into 5e, the spells will me mostly or all different. And in this case, when you convert an Asian-flavored paladin from Pathfinder into 5e, he's going to have different class features. Just let it be.
>>
>>50083988
Are paladin's really just blatantly better fighters?
>>
>>50084062
>Locking someone down and hacking at them until they eventually succumb
Sounds good to me.
>>
>>50084067
Only between levels 6 and 10. Fighters are better between 1 and 5, and 11 and 20.
>>
>>50084054
I mean, if you really want to you can lay out a dungeon in Dungeon Mapper or something like it and print that, but IMO it's easier to just draw on a plain grid.
>>
>>50084105
reminds me of Archer's in BG where they're strong as fuck midgame and earlygame but fall off pretty hard endgame
>>
>>50082055
Do people ever get "better" at D&D after they're familiar with the system and know the rules?

A guy in our group is just objectively bad. He doesn't RP, he doesn't help in fights, he wastes all of his spell slots on absolute pants on head stupid shit. I'm not going to write a wall of text about how shittily he plays but this dude knows the rules and sucks anyways.

How do you fix this? He's not trying to be bad btw. He wants to be useful, I just don't think it's in his wheelhouse to handle pen&paper.
>>
>>50084067
Battlemaster can do stuff Paladin can't. This isn't 3.pf.
>>
>>50084067
Yes of course. And Clerics are just blatantly better Paladins.

Keep going like this and I'm sure you'll end up saying "rogues are just better druids" and nod at your own perfect wisdom.
>>
>>50084067
Yes.
Fighters get more extra attacks and... that's pretty all they have on them. Smites are a far better method of putting out damage, especially since you can choose to use them on a crit, and the Paladin gets Improved Divine Smite at 11th level so it's almost like they get another extra attack anyway. On top of all the other shit they get, like immunity to various conditions, and aura that just outright boosts all of your saving throws all the time and those of the allies near, and spells that can use to heal or smite or use smites with conditions like revealing invisible creatures or to summon a fucking magic horse.
>>
>>50084065
Except he was basically pretty fucking good at unarmed damage and with light armors before and now there's not a single reason to do it unless he wants to die early and reroll char because he sucks at unarmed and light armored
>>
>There are DMs ITT who do not have non-lethal ways of dealing with player failure

>>50083988
Found the 3aboo
>>
>>50084133
The DM need to rein him in and punish him for every stupid thing he do and reward him when he do the right stuff.

Kinda like when you're training a dog.
>>
>>50082910
>all these bonuses that aren't gained until you move beyond the average play level
Most groups don't make it to 10. When discussing class balance we really should limit talks to shit that happens in the first 8 levels, because anything else is wishful thinking in the vast majority of cases.
>>
File: Yamabushisohei.jpg (29KB, 300x473px) Image search: [Google]
Yamabushisohei.jpg
29KB, 300x473px
>>50084163
So make him wear heavy armor and use a polearm. You know, like a sohei. It's a real change, but it still results in a character that makes sense.
>>
>>50084019
Shadow. Teleportation vastly improves your ability to get surprise attacks on people.
Then pester your DM to be able to use your surprise attack damage in the next round, too, because you Stunning Striked your victim and he hasn't REALLY acted in combat yet if he's just standing around drooling like an idiot.
>>
>>50084178
I'm sorry you can't find a group that stays together or the patience to stick with one character. Those higher levels are fun and increase the variety of character options that are viable.
>>
File: green slaad q.jpg (47KB, 564x603px) Image search: [Google]
green slaad q.jpg
47KB, 564x603px
Why the fuck does the Green Slaad have a monkey on his back?
>>
>>50084251
Nice attempt at shitposting, but this isn't about me, friendo. WotC's own surveys revealed that the overwhelming majority of players don't get that far in their campaigns, and even fewer start at levels higher than that. What you're doing is ignoring reality in favor of pure number-crunching theorycrafting; it's not applicable to most tables.
>>
>>50084282
It applies to mine though. Maybe people should actually try playing those levels. They're fun.
>>
File: clapton.jpg (115KB, 982x1000px) Image search: [Google]
clapton.jpg
115KB, 982x1000px
>>50084276
Cocaine.
CHAOS cocaine.
>>
>>50084306
Cochaos?
>>
>>50084295
If everyone here discussed the game based on what weird, edge case shit happens at their table, we'd never get anywhere. My DM ignores object interaction rules for drawing/stowing weapons for the most part, lets us spin and throw grappled enemies, and allows for delayed turns. Should I be talking about those like they're the game norm? Maybe everyone else should try playing it this way, "it's fun".
>>
>>50084327
Playing the game as intended at levels that are published hardly seems an edge case.
>>
>>50084375
You need to head to a dictionary and puzzle out what a "'majority' of the time" means.
>>
>>50084251
wotc makes polls every year and the average game never going beyond 11th level had stay like that for years, only change was in 4e. So yeah finding groups outside the bell curve is pretty hard.
>>
>>50084197
You're basically telling him to play a different character.
>>
>people complaining about monk when at level 4 they can attack four times, knock down two people and stun four (including two of the knocked down) people
'Waah, monks don't deal enough damage! Waah, why don't they get +1 weapons?!'

Giving everybody assured +1 weapons is a bad mentality for 5e, though definitely martials should get some interesting utilities tied to weapons that balances their utility with regards to magic users.
>>
>>50084417
Create one. It's what I did.

If all discussion is always an echo chamber of "no one plays past level 8" how will anyone ever find out what it's like to play beyond? I'm not talking about houserules.
>>
>>50084467
Sorry, level 5 I meant, not level 4.
>>
On mobile so I'm sorry if I missed it in this thread but, can an anon please share the stats and info for playable kenku
>>
Anyone seen any of the other new kobold monsters other than the inventor from the preview...looks like there's a Sorcerer too. Wouldn't mind seeing those stat blocks.
>>
>>50083977
>Pretty bad. You are force into DEX-build without proper support (fighting style), so your damage and defense will be shit.
damn, thats exactly what i was hoping to do, a warlock dex build. any other caster dex builds that would work?
>>
>New to 5e and tabletop
>Curse of Strahd is first game
>DM is new too
>DM constantly worries campaign is not grimdim and scary enough and gets bent out of shape when we win
>Enemies are almost all mindless and boring or weird, not fun
>Might be how DM plays but I am not loving the source material either
>>
>>50082241
>>50083886
Literally just this.

Pact of the tome (shillelagh) + 6 to 11 levels in paladin.
>>
>>50084467
Monks are a group-friendly class, and everyone talks as if they play D&D solo. If you're outdamaging a monk, you're using a more limited resource than ki points or you're doing it with lower accuracy. Conveniently, the monk helps to the other guy with his accuracy issue while doing damage at the same time.

>>50084531
That's the DM's newness coming through. Curse of Strahd is very heavy on roleplay.
>>
>>50082696
Watch the potc movies. The witch hut from the 2nd/3rd one and the pirate kingdom in the 3rd one both should be inspiring.
>>
>>50084531
Can you go into details? I'm DMing CoS right now.
>>
>>50082205
Like being a social outcast? I can't imagine anyone, from small villages to major cities, take kindly to bugbears walking their streets
>>
>>50084447
Yes, it will be a 5e character instead of a PF character.

If he thinks it's closer he can play a monk instead. Adapting a character to a completely different set of rules is made of choices like these.
>>
>>50084531
Curse of Strahd isn't for new DMs.
>>
>>50084163
Go dex paladin
Wear light armour

Fucking simple
>>
Trying to make an enemy elite group for the party and want to give them magic items to make stuff interesting. Any suggestions for magic items I could put in?
>>
>>50084579
>>50084163
Well, okay, reading the conversation more it's basically
'I want to play this specific character and don't want to change them at all'
So just play pathfinder or GURPS or mutants and masterminds instead.
>>
>>50084133

No. People only get better at being bad players

The kindest thing you can for this person is get their character killed and hopefully rerol something that better suits them
>>
>>50084619
None.

Make them smart bitches that know how to combat tactics and win through smarts rather than monty haul levels of magic items.
>>
>>50084531
Seconding this: >>50084564 . You guys should've started with Lost Mines of Phandelver, it's much better suited for new players and DMs.
>>
>>50084579
>not wearing Mithrill plate
>>
>>50084619
Nothing that you're not okay with the PCs looting off the bodies. Maybe something that triggers when they die, like how draconians will explode or turn to stone and trap your weapon inside them. Maybe cursed/intelligent weapons that constantly try to get their owners to do evil.
>>
>>50084310

Cochaine.
>>
>>50084579
deal no damage on unarmed attacks
still get fucked because your AC is shit
die and reroll char
srly, super easy
>>
>>50084659
I just need one though that highlights their good parts/what they are particularly good at. Just something to identify them by. They will be smart but I want them to be magically powerful as well.
>>50084682
I like the idea of cursed gear. Maybe the curse activates when they die (i.e. its only cursed when they are killed)
>>
>>50084065
A 2e fighter doesn't get multiple hits until 7. Rounds were also a whole minute.

>>50084692
>AC is shit
>no damage despite finesse
did you read the rules of either 2e or 5e at all
>>
>>50084674
For the same rarity, you could have studded leather +1, which is actually a direct upgrade of mithral plate armour.
>>
>>50084692
>AC 14 is shit
>1d4+1 is shit
wew lad
>>
>>50084707
Or the curse is the only reason they were fighting the PCs in the first place. The weapons made them do it
>>
>>50084692
Just ask your DM to give you gauntlets that have the exact same stats as a shortswords pair f shortswords. Bam, done.
>>
>>50084674
>having items beyond mundane at choice
>>
>>50084719
Mithril plate is uncommon, +1 studded leather is rare.
>>
>>50084721
The enemy group is a mercenary company fighting for an enemy nation so that doesn't work.
>>
>>50084734
>just change the rules even though yoire the player lol XD!! one!
>>
>>50084692
Just do what I did.
>roll a Monk
>equip warhammer and shield
>wear full plate
>>
wait, wait wait. I'm not going to read all umpty million posts of this inane-lookin' argument, but are you people really arguing that 5e supports mechanically unique concepts?

It's not quite as a bad as 4e, but you're still nerfing yourself hard if you do anything the designers didn't expect/design for.
>>
>>50084755
Huh.

+1 anything is uncommon, with the exception of armour.

Even so, if you have an allowance of 'any one uncommon item' you can simply get a cloak of protection (even better than +1 armour) or a +1 shield if you use a shield.
>>
>>50084783
5e supports significantly more mechanically unique concepts than fucking 2e, and 3.5's "mechanically unique concepts" almost all boil down to "lol if you didn't roll a cleric, druid or wizard".

The only unique mechanics that I'm sorry to see go from older editions is bardic music and that animal companions aren't a ranger baseline.
>>
File: the fuck am i seeing.jpg (261KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
the fuck am i seeing.jpg
261KB, 1600x1200px
> Drow do not have racial proficiency with whips
>>
>>50084771
If your DM won't let you have it, then stop trying to do what the DM doesn't fucking want you to do.
>>
>>50084717
His AC will be 16 at 9th level at best, that for a combatant with zero mobility is shit. And his damage will be 1D4+2 at the very best, that at 9th level for a martial is ubershit.

That character concept doesn't work in 5e, period, only monks do unarmed damage ok, and mostly because they deal tons of attacks early on.

Like I said at the beginning, don't, tell yoir GM you're going to make a proper 5e character instead.

This is like wanting to make an lighting esoteric (electric spell focused unarmed magus), can't be done.
>>
File: bugbearbelmont.png (1MB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
bugbearbelmont.png
1MB, 1024x768px
>>50084819
>using a whip as anything but a bugbear
>>
>>50084835
>dex paladin
>only 14 dex
This is very dumb
>>
>>50084842
I've just realized what a horrible, horrible monster would a bugbear battlemaster with a reach weapon would be. Hit people standing 20 feet away? Yes, please.
>>
>>50084646
I just don't think he gets it. He was actively trying to get the party killed last night. The DM is too nice to just kill him off, but he's trying my patience.

I also dm a game and if this shit carries over, he's not going to make it more than a session or two.
>>
>>50084544
>If you're outdamaging a monk, you're using a more limited resource than ki points or you're doing it with lower accuracy.
Smite spamming pally. Paladin gets 6 smites vs the 5 Ki points of a monk at level 5. If you look at damage the pally is doing an average of 63 additional damage with his divine smite compared to 35+(dex/str)10 for their 5 chi points. Sure the monk has more total bonus damage output than a paladin once you consider the dex or str of the monk but the paladin is also doing more damage per normal turn with his great weapon (16.4+2(str) vs 10.5+3(dex or str)). Put simply looking at sheer damage output a paladin has an average damage over 12 rounds of
>63+(16.4+2(str))12 which would equal about 355.8 assuming a strength of 18 or 19
A monk has an average damage over 12 rounds of
>35+(dex or str)10+(10.5+3(dex or str))12 which would equal about 345 assuming a strength or dexterity of 18 or 19

I mean I don't think monk is a bad class, I think it is a great class, it is fast, can hit pretty hard, and is versatile. I'm just saying if you love sheer damage output other classes can surpass it. I tried monk, didn't like it, I was doing a lot of damage but it didn't feel like much because it was just a bunch of D6s. Paladins have smite, battle masters have maneuvers and both can use greatswords, mauls, or axes to take advantage of great weapon master which is nice. Overall I enjoy doing two big hits as opposed to a bunch of little hits.
>>
>>50084873
Smites are a long rest thing.
>>
>>50084801
Cloak slots are very valuable, dex characters would probably want cloak of elvenkind if they're sneaking around. That's a big reason cloak of protection is uncommon.

I highly doubt many DMs would disallow enchanting your mithril plate to a +1 for the 5,000 gp crafting cost. It's technically not magical, rather just made with a special metal.
>>
File: Cloak layers.png (128KB, 410x189px) Image search: [Google]
Cloak layers.png
128KB, 410x189px
>>50084894
>cloak slots
What do you think this is, final fantasy?
>>
>>50084934
Ah, I've been playing with ex-3.5 players. Hold over rules seep in sometimes.
>>
>>50084934
>>50084894
Okay, well, it does say normally you might not allow it.

But really, 5e isn't a 'gather hoards of magic items' game. If your DM gives you a cloak of protection, its' practically just 'hey, here, increase all your defences by 1 almost permanently.'

I prefer the rule of
'If you can logically wear it, you can wear it together with something. However, two magic items in close proximity can potentially cause harmful effects.'

Thing is, paladins tend to be frontline fighters and they'd probably want defence. Any other cloaks can go to the rogues or something.
>>
>>50084889
Fair enough, but that depends on how your group functions. When I decided to start playing my smite focused paladin my group already included so many casters that we tended to not really bother with short rests anyway. At the end of the day it is more of a playstyle thing anyway, monks have mobility and sheer damage output under most circumstances but with sacred weapon paladins can greatly increase their chances of hitting for a bit, as can fighters with maneuvers while both also have access to great weapon master or sharpshooter.

As I said I played well as a monk, I was doing damage, and I was moving fast, but it just felt so dull. The ability to dump a ton of damage into one attack is nice, which is something fighters and paladins can both do with smite, great weapon master, and action surge. A paladin and fighter have a maximum average damage of 71 and 88 damage over a single turn assuming they hit every attack at level 5 and have a +4 in strength. I mean the odds of missing are relatively high especially for the fighter (pally and his sacred weapon) but the ability to dump that much damage on an opponent feels good to me.
>>
>>50084809

>3.5's "mechanically unique concepts" almost all boil down to "lol if you didn't roll a cleric, druid or wizard"

At high op, I guess so. I've never seen an actual high op game that wasn't run off a charop board, though.

>5e supports significantly more mechanically unique concepts than fucking 2e

Meh, the point is except a few optimizin' tricks people have figured out, if you're playing a class without using the stats and gear the designers expect you to use (or you want something like a pugilist paladin) you're SOL with the printed rules. Your bonuses and damage are lower than your peers, and with the amount of rolling that tends to happen in combat (HP bloat alive and stronk) you'll feel underpowered.
>>
>>50084717
>A 2e fighter doesn't get multiple hits until 7

False. With weapon specialization he could have 1.5 attacks per round at 1st level. Fractions of an attack were always pretty silly, but there you go.
>>
Is Varient Human actually better? Sure it gives a feat, but the extra +1/+1/+1/+1 that standard human gives is basically 2 feats
>>
>>50085012
how many of those additional +1's do you actually need in most cases?

i'd rather pick +1/+1 and feat almost every time
>>
>>50085012
The thing is that +1 in every ability score generally doesn't help. What class really has more than three ability scores to worry about? If you want ability score increases you are generally better off just choosing a race that has a +2 and +1 in the relevant ability scores.
>>
>>50085012
Except they're spread out evenly, where most of them will never be used. You would never spend a feat to increase your 3 or 4 dump stats.
>>
>>50085012
but normally +1 stat is very low bonus, and in dump stats for the matter. A feat is an extra ability you get to choose and you get few of in the game.
>>
File: 1455990528410.png (394KB, 634x484px) Image search: [Google]
1455990528410.png
394KB, 634x484px
>>50085012
>being so new to 5e even people who haven't played it yet are more experienced than you
>>
>>50085035
Would +2/+2/+2 and no feat be comparable in power? Is that how we fix non-variant humans?
>>
>>50085060
that sounds OP
>>
>>50085060
it could. would be strong, but boring compared to the feat of the variant or the stuff other races get.
>>
>>50085060
Fuck no. That's downright OP.
>+2 to three ability scores
>Literally makes all other racial ability scores worthless
>Only real downside is no darkvision
>>
>>50084825
You meant what the system doesn't took in mind to do, right?
>>
>>50084842
>Bugbearbelmont

>Not Bugbearmont
>>
>>50084860
16 Dex at first level +11 from light armor, 14AC, that's shit, tavern brawler at 4th level, 18 Dex at 8th +12 from light, that's 16 AC
>>
>>50085103
The system doesn't want pages and pages of extra rules for unusual things like 'I want to be an X that punches people'

However, you do get things like 'You can refluff things, such as a weapon, to better suit your tastes'

So essentially if you use gauntlets as two shortswords then you can pretty much punch people and still be viable, without being a monk.

However, monk was specifically created to cater to all the 'but I want to be unarmoured and unarmed!' people.

Perhaps 5e isn't optimal in that every single multiclass (say a monk-paladin) isn't viable, but it'd be incredibly hard to make a game like that that doesn't just give arbitrary bonuses. Maybe some day.
>>
Anyone have any experience with bad players?
Recently joined a new group, and we haven't even started yet but one of the players is putting off a few of the others in the group
The DM's already told him to tone it down over text chat but anyone have any experience of having to nicely explain to someone they're being a dick and making other people not wanna play?
Don't really wanna boot the guy before we even start sessions...
>>
>>50084873
You forget that smites can't be wasted while flurry can miss
>>
>>50084872
This is no longer a game problem. It's a person problem. Either discuss with the DM to approach him and kick him out if he doesn't want to comply, or leave yourself.
>>
I'd like to hear ideas about an alternative morality systems. I'm thinking about rolling up a Dragonborn Ranger character after I finish playing my Chaotic Good Paladin. I'd like the Dragonborn to be True Neutral and operate on a different set of beliefs than "good/evil" and "order/chaos".
I was thinking something like "wasteful/efficient" as one axiom. You should strive to be efficient, wasting nothing. That might mean killing an enemy with the fewest arrows as possible, or eating that enemy when they are killed, bones and all.
Any suggestions? I'd love to hear them!
>>
>>50085154
At least feed us the drama snacks and tell them how they're putting people off.
>>
>>50084889
Smites will never miss, ever, flurry will.
>>
>>50085154
>>50085212
>At least feed us the drama snacks
This, I love reading about other people shit groups
>>
File: 20161103_131548.jpg (4MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20161103_131548.jpg
4MB, 5312x2988px
Aasimar part 1
>>
File: 20161103_131556.jpg (4MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20161103_131556.jpg
4MB, 5312x2988px
Aasimar part 2

Also I apologize for my retardation, so some or all might be sideways
>>
>>50085235
>didnt rotate the page
>>
File: 20161103_131623.jpg (4MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20161103_131623.jpg
4MB, 5312x2988px
Kenku
>>
>>50085147
>if you use gauntlets as two shortswords
Minot nitpick, but it should be two clubs. 1d6 bludgeoning damage and the light property. The rest of your post is good.
>>
>>50085235
>>50085251
>>50085268
thanks broski
>>
File: 20161103_131629.jpg (4MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20161103_131629.jpg
4MB, 5312x2988px
Kenku continued
>>
File: goddamn ninjas.jpg (27KB, 300x400px) Image search: [Google]
goddamn ninjas.jpg
27KB, 300x400px
>>50084863
>3 Battlemaster / 3 Assassin Bugbear
>somehow loop a whip around an opponent's neck and garrote them from 20 feet away
>advantage, auto-crit for 2d4 + 2d8 + 4d6 + 4d6 + Dex (+2 if Dueling)
>if Two-Weapon Fighting with Dual Wielder (since whips aren't Light), another advantage auto-crit for 2d4 + 2d8 + Dex
>Action Surge for yet another 2d4 + 2d8 + Dex
>an average of 79 damage outta fucking nowhere
>Fighter 5 for two extra attacks when Surging
>Rogue 5 for another Sneak Attack die
>a full sequence is now five attacks with four superiority die for 10d4 + 8d8 + 6d6 + 4d6 + 20, or 116 damage
>another three attacks next round for 2d4 + Dex each, with an extra 6d6 on one of them, or 48 damage
>Fighter 6 for another feat so you can finally cap your Dex
>ask your DM if you can change Pushing Attack to Pulling Attack
>start lassoing enemies 15 feet away and dragging them into the shadows for their executions
>assuming no other enemies notice you yanking their number into the darkness and garroting them with two whips, your Surprise Attack feature is recharging each time since it's a new combat
>6d4 + 2d8 + 6d6 + 4d6 + Dex*3, or 74, spending only one superiority die each time for the first pull

>a FUCKING BUGBEAR wipes a squadron of five men from the rafters without any of them drawing their weapons
>>
>>50085235
POST KENKU/LIZARDFOLK
>>
File: 20161103_131641.jpg (4MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20161103_131641.jpg
4MB, 5312x2988px
Lizardfolk
>>
>>50085212
he's criticized the DM before we even started for providing background info on the setting, he's attacked new players for not having characters ready as soon as we start, he's spammed the text chat to try and drown out all other voices other than his own, tried to make himself the center of attention in the first online session we did, and then told another player from the online session he should've gone to it, then called him forgettable because he couldn't be bothered to remember if he was in fact there or not. He's also tried to metagame as one of the players wanted to keep his class a mystery, and so he made it his job to work out what that class may be and denounce it in-character
Also as I'm not too familiar with multiclassing synergy, I suspect he is a powergamer since he is player shifter with a bard/rogue multiclass
>>
File: 20161103_131646.jpg (4MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20161103_131646.jpg
4MB, 5312x2988px
Lizardfolk continued
>>
File: 20161103_131654.jpg (4MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20161103_131654.jpg
4MB, 5312x2988px
Tabaxi
>>
>>50085060
what would be better is plus 1 all stats and expertise in one addition skill instead of just proficiency
>>
>>50082696
C R A B S
>>
File: 20161103_131659.jpg (4MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20161103_131659.jpg
4MB, 5312x2988px
Tabaxi continued
>>
>>50085251
>charisma saving throw for fallen aasimar's transformation
But shouldn't it be wisdom?
Wisdom is usually used against fear effects it seems, and charisma is only really used for possession, though I suppose it's a bit like bane.
>>
File: voloaasimar.png (3MB, 1443x1079px) Image search: [Google]
voloaasimar.png
3MB, 1443x1079px
>>50085251
>>50085235
>>
>>50085313
What the fuck. I would not even be joking about playing with this guy ever again.
>>
>>50085207
I mean, you can make up any abstract ideal you want, but it won't change the fact that good, evil, law, and chaos are the real forces at play in the D&D universe. I guess you could have him be "druidic neutral" and strive for a balance between good, evil, law, and chaos in oneself and in the world. Being any one thing to the exclusion of all else turns you into a caricature; experiencing everything in its time makes for a full life.
>>
File: 20161103_131708.jpg (4MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20161103_131708.jpg
4MB, 5312x2988px
Tritons
>>
File: RoboButler.jpg (68KB, 500x706px) Image search: [Google]
RoboButler.jpg
68KB, 500x706px
I've been planning to play a Warforged who is essentially a robot butler for the party.
I found the official Eberron racial traits kinda lackluster, so I was wondering which Warforged Homebrew was the most fun to play.
>>
>>50085271
That's just a direct downgrade of shortswords, though.

Limiting it to strength limits what players can do with it, though it seems it's mostly strength based characters that want to do it.
>>
>>50085289
>ask your DM if you can change Pushing Attack to Pulling Attack
>start lassoing enemies 15 feet away and dragging them into the shadows for their executions
Honestly I would 100% allow this part as a DM. The rest of it I would have to consider how to allow it, but this part is badass, could provide some group synergy, and is effective. Party could stand out of melee range with the bugbear battlemaster dragging enemies to their inevitable deaths.
>>
File: 20161103_131712.jpg (4MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20161103_131712.jpg
4MB, 5312x2988px
Tritons continued
>>
File: 20161103_131737.jpg (4MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20161103_131737.jpg
4MB, 5312x2988px
The two pages between the last one and this I've can be found at the top of the thread
>>
>>50085313
Bard/rogue multiclass is pretty suboptimal, but it's not downright bad.

But, yes, they sound like a dick.
>>
File: volokenku.png (3MB, 1492x1048px) Image search: [Google]
volokenku.png
3MB, 1492x1048px
>>50085268
>>50085285
>>
>>50085362
I wanna give him a chance though to try and change, he may not even realize he's doing it
Also I think he may be a memer, he's been replying to things like "nice meme" and ":^)" whenever he can't think up an argument
>>
>>50085235
>>50085251
>>50085268
>>50085285
>>50085300
>>50085315
>>50085345
>>50085360
>>50085369

Thank you, you are a fucking god.

Would you mind posting the VGtM Goliath, and the new Dinosaurs?
>>
File: vololizardmen.png (3MB, 1487x1015px) Image search: [Google]
vololizardmen.png
3MB, 1487x1015px
>>50085300
>>50085315
>>
>>50085382
>>50085410
>>50085421
Someone give this man a medal!
>>
>>50085415
That's a small mercy at least, any advice on how to make him come around?
>>
File: volotabaxi.png (3MB, 1472x961px) Image search: [Google]
volotabaxi.png
3MB, 1472x961px
>>50085329
>>50085345
>>
>>50085427
FUCK I SHOULD HAVE TAKEN PICTURES OF DINOSAURS

The goliath was a complete reprint, so I didn't think to take pictures
>>
File: volotriton.png (2MB, 1414x982px) Image search: [Google]
volotriton.png
2MB, 1414x982px
>>50085369
>>50085382
>>
File: Melisandre.jpg (133KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
Melisandre.jpg
133KB, 500x500px
>>50085452
>>50085436
>>50085421
>>50085360
Literally messiah.
>>
File: voloorcyuan.png (2MB, 743x1065px) Image search: [Google]
voloorcyuan.png
2MB, 743x1065px
>>50085410
>>
>>50085415
He's probably trying to get as many skills as possible, by level 5 you can have 12 proficiencies and 6 with Expertise if you also take a level in cleric of knowledge. But it's not a damage build in the slightest.
>>
File: ive had enough.png (768KB, 586x795px) Image search: [Google]
ive had enough.png
768KB, 586x795px
>>50085493
> +2, +1 race
> Suggestion as racial spell
> Magic resistance
> Poison immunity
> Darkvision
Orcs and kobolds are quietly crying and feeling inadequate.
>>
>>50084564
I'm seeing this firsthand. Signed up for high adventure and got a big pile of angst and frustration. When things are bad its "as intended" and when things go good because of effort and planning its "not right"

I'd rather play a game where creativity and fun were the focus, not shitting on the PCs and making them feel helpless is the goal.
>>
>>50085466
It's okay dude.

I'm still so thankful for you doing his for us. I might have to wait a bit to fully realize my Lizardfolk Moon Druid who turns into dinosaurs, but I'm happy to just have this stuff.
>>
>>50085452
Are we going to get an adventure in Maztica?
>>
>>50085251
>scourge hurts itself
CRAWLING
>>
>>50085329
Wait, so now the Tabaxi worship the Greyhawk Cat Lord?
What happened to Zaltec?
>>
>>50085446
Bard/Rogue is mostly just a skill circlejerk. They'll start with 9 skills if they're a half-elf, and can essentially choose any skills they like. Also up to 5 languages.
They can give inspiration, might get 'jack of all trades' and they get expertise from both rogue and bard.

However, rogue hurts spell progression (Spells don't use sneak attack) and bard hurts sneak attack progression. Then, cunning action isn't always useful if you're using bonus actions.

Expect them to outshine you at any and all skill checks, but be pretty meh in combat.

There's probably no hope for him, though. He's probably broken as a person, not just as a player.
>>
>>50085493
>people bitched about chainlocks getting magic resistance from their familiar
>pureblood gets printed
JUST
>>
>>50085130
Studded is 12
+2 for a shield
Defensive Duelist gets you +Prof on a reaction
>>
>>50084835
>Lightning esoteric
Wot4e, boom, done
>>
>>50085628
>Shield
Not.The.Same.Character

Yeah, and he can wear a full plate and use a bow, but that's not at unarmed light armored paladin
>>
File: [Wake me up].png (156KB, 270x270px) Image search: [Google]
[Wake me up].png
156KB, 270x270px
>>50085493
>literally just a tiefling with no level 1 spell and gets their level 2 spell at level 3, poison immunity instead of fire resistance, an extra language and fucking magic resistance that's better than gnome's magic resistance
>>
>>50085493
>>50085524
>>50085597
You guys know the monstrous races are all optional on a case by case basis and even earlier in the book it says DO NOT USE THESE AS DEFAULT PLAYER OPTIONS.

So it's something for people to bitch at their DMs for not accepting, and for DMs to be annoyed with their players for continuous asking.
>>
>>50085524
Orcs should have been +2 Str +2 Con +2 Int, otherwise no reason to pick them over Goliath, Bugbear, or Half-Orc.
>>
>>50085593

I played a Bard/Rogue and can tell you this is very accurate. While I was myself meh in combat, the party still found frequent use of my ranged Help (Mastermind Rogue) and Inspiration die.
>>
>>50085681
Fuck, -2 int.
>>
>>50085370
Anyone? I've found at least 5 different premade homebrews, but I'm not an expert at working out which are balanced.
>>
>>50085660
Sun Soul Monk is most of it
>but muh oath
Tweak Acolyte, talk with your DM for fuck's sake
>>
>>50085452
>Mobile Tabaxi Monk or Rogue
>40 move speed
>Dash as an action
>bonus action Dash
>Feline Agility
>run 160 feet in six seconds
>18mph
>Usain Bolt runs at 28mph

Now, if you take Feline Agility as literally doubling your Speed, not just adding it again, both Dashes are now adding 80 for a total of 240 feet per turn and are now Usain Bolt.
>Fighter Action Surge for another 80 feet and go 320 feet in a turn, or 36mph
>>
https://sli.mg/a/EvUWsI
All leaks saved in an easily accessed, permament album for your viewing pleasure, anons.
>>
>>50084550
Biggest piece of advice I can give for CoS is either make combat constant and grinding, or make the combat almost all avoidable but terrifying when it happens. Make the players shit themselves when you say "Roll Initiative" or just keep throwing piles of enemies at them so they are constantly exhausted on resources. You want them to entirely hate combat or its "not done right."

The module punishes mistakes, curiosity, and any attempt at "making things right." If you want to get the "feel" right just keep the players frustrated as possible so there is no sense of accomplishment or progress.

Considering the history of it I can see why people are excited about it. I know the game I am in is less fun because of that legacy.
>>
>>50085675

>DM should decide on a case-by-case basis
>Do not use these as default options
>All the volo races are AL legal

[laughingWizards.gif]
>>
>>50085719
>All the volo races are AL legal
Good, AL DM already have too much power.
>>
I hate that these monstrous races will mostly be used by PCs-as-NPCs DMs that don't understand that tweaking stat blocks is more interesting than this bullshit.
>>
>>50085700
Usain bolt didn't do it in the exact opposite direction of the way they were just running a second ago while wearing plate armour and fighting cyborgs, while navigating a battlefield, though.
>>
>>50085735
>your party enters the city
>the guards sight your yuanti pureblood party member and begin pelting him with arrows and javelins as others rush forward with swords and spears drawn
>roll initiative

>this happens any time you go anywhere
>>
>>50085060
What if humans got +2/+2/+1/+1?
>>
File: sounds.png (203KB, 349x271px) Image search: [Google]
sounds.png
203KB, 349x271px
lel
>>
>>50085755
He's also not a fucking magical catman who has to stand still for a full 6 seconds before doing this again.

>half-orc barbarians can't caber toss nearly as well as fucking mundane Scotsmen
>>
Can a Kenku just mimic actual words?
Would be pretty cool, they could be kind of like Master from Fallout 1, shifting between voices as they speak, with something like the first time they ever heard that word, that is how they will say it for the rest of their life. Could be awkward, depending on the tone of the persons voice when they said it.
>>
>>50085752
I always find that PC classes and races don't make interesting enemies.
>>
>>50085782
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjE0Kdfos4Y#t=0m38
>>
>>50085315
>lizardfolk
>better at vampire than zendikar vampires
>>
>>50085782
That's what it's intended to be, I think. I likened it to Jacket from Payday 2 because I like bad games, who speaks using a casette player and some hacked-together language learning tapes.

Bonus points if you switch languages mid-sentence because you haven't heard a word in elven, but have heard it in common.
>>
>>50085235
>Angelic Guide

If you do not go full KSBD with this then you are wasting potential!
>>
>>50085822
>constantly switch between different voices, with different dialects and rarely the odd word in a different language mingled in

Would be fun desu
>>
>>50085777
If you roll a stat, you can often run faster / throw further than the standard.

Not to mention, a fucking barbarian can just pick up the caber like a javelin and throw it 60ft at an enemy.
A scotsman can't do that.
>>
>>50085799
If only I was a kenku in real life, DND sessions would be so much more amazing lol
>>
>>50085703
Ayy thats pretty imho
>>
>>50085660
if a character's entire identity and sense of self is dependent on whether or not they're holding a shield, that's not a very well-thought-out character. Every character I've ever played would still be himself if he picked up a shield.
>>
>>50085858
>>50085777
Clarification -
Stuf like speed / long jump are just base values for if somebody tries to do something with any amount of gear (they could be carrying heavy armour) while in the middle of combat and the like.

Often, you can ask or a DM might ask you to roll, and the roll will probably increase how far you can jump/run.

Presumably you can go faster outside of combat than in combat.
>>
>>50085466
>goliath ia a reprint
so still shit, got it
>>
>>50085869
We hit the bump limit, new thread is up.
>>
>>50085777
>implying usain could run full speed twice in a row without resting
>>
>>50085897
That's not in the rules tho. That's an assumption.
>>
What are some more...interesting celestial beings an aasimar may receive guidance from?
>>
>>50085881
>want to be an unarmed and unarmored combatant
>be full plated greatsword wielding fighter
>what part of unarmored and unarmed didnt you inderstand?
>lol if your whole character is depemdent on wheter or not they wear equipment that's not a very well thought out character
what its a character is not decided by you, but by the one who makes it
>>
>>50085928
i dunno man i think his sprints might last longer than six seconds
>>
>>50083486
Lol no. Are you an idiot?
>>
>>50085982
This particular Anon wanted to be an expert at unarmed combat. The closest match for him was a monk, but he wouldn't accept that answer. So people offered different alternatives and he refused them all because they're not mechanically identical to his old character. He's being a baby.
>>
>>50086110
because the chracter from pf is a paladin who's expert at martial arts (though loses medium, heavy and shield profiency and can't flurry etc with those) of course monk doesn't fit
>>
>>50086110
>he
Actually it was me, I'm not the OP. I don't think OP posted again since his first post.
>>
>>50086151
Why does monk not fit?
>>
>>50086151
I dunno, the only thing paladin-like that you've described so far is the name "paladin." It sounds like you've got a few options: Be a monk and keep all the unarmed and unarmored stuff, be a paladin and keep the name "paladin," be a monk with a two or three levels of paladin for smiting with, or stay in your comfort zone and play Pathfinder instead.
>>
>>50085471
Tritons cuts off before msot of the mechanics
>>
>>50086278
Look at the left side of >>50082076.
>>
>>50086151

>>50085963
It's stated things like 'you can long jump exactly your strength score' which means you can reliably jump that distance.
I can't quite remember the details, but I'm pretty sure it does say you might be able to ask your DM to push those limits, because rolls are all about doing things that aren't routine (jumping your strength in distance is routine).

Most skill checks aren't in the rulebook because that's how it is. The rulebook doesn't need to define exactly every single action you can take by rolling a skill.
>>
>>50085493
So everyone bitched about half-orc being useless but the orcs are missing 2 of the half-orc's better traits.
>>
>>50086151
>>50086363
Whoops, forgot text.

I was going to say, paladin 11 isn't a bad match-up for monk. It's absolutely not great at all, but it's possible if someone's really dedicated to being 'I want to be completely unarmoured, but still a paladin, and I'll still do better than your average unarmoured guy because nobody suspects an unarmoured guy to even be that great'

1d8 damage on every punch, if your DM lets you consider fists a melee weapon.

Potentially four punches with flurry of blows.
>>
>>50085681
+2 Int.

The fuck mate?
>>
>>50086242
>>50086254
paladin spell progression, niggas
>>
>>50086387
>13 on wis, dex, str and cha and on top at least possitive con
>>
>tfw you really want to make a ranger but three spells on their list (or the lack thereof) keep you rolling Dex Feyladins, Bladelocks or Valor Bards
>>
>>50086516
non-variant human. Probably the only time you'll ever need it.

If rolling for stats, MAD classes are good when you roll good stats, but rolling for stats is a sucky thing for long-term campaigns, I'd say.
>>
These races all seem fun to me. Not sure why people are complaining. But then Im not a min/maxing person and like the roleplaying aspect.
>>
>>50086799
>stormwind fallacy
>>
>>50085207
read the lizardfolk page here, looks like exactly what you want.
>>
>>50086110
>Sohei1/Enlightened Paladin7
>7 levels on Paladin
>Closest match for him was a monk
Wut?
Closest match would be an unarmed Dex paladin (because light armor) but that is barely playable.
>>
>>50086908
>believing it's a fallacy
There's a very high correlation

>>50086946
Closest match is a sun soul monk acolyte.
>>
>>50087081
>Closest match is a sun soul monk acolyte.
Yes you can heal your...or cast bles...or..., no, you only spam burning hands and that's it, so paladin it hurts.
>>
>>50087081
Correlation isn't causation. Play the game with good roleplayers and they will remain good roleplayers even if they're exposed to minmaxing.

>>50087114
Maybe your pathfinder snowflake isn't as paladin as you think it is.
>>
>>50087081
>High correlation
Did you know that the number of helicopter accidents killing ocupants is correlated with a 99.97% with the number of movies Nicholas Cage starred?
>>
>>50087131
>If your paladin doesn't have burning hands as unique spell he's a snowflake
Shit, all Paladins are snowflake then
>>
>>50082955
Once per day. For one round.
>>
>>50087237
Read again
>>
"Read, nigga, read" should be the pic for all 5eg threads.
>>
>>50087164
>>50087131
>>50086946
>>50086494
Anon has a choice to make:
>being as good with unarmed attacks as other classes are with weapons - playing a monk
>not missing any of the paladin's full spell progression - playing a paladin

In 5e you simply cannot have both. The closest you can get is playing a monk with a splash of paladin. If you can't handle that as a compromise, go away.
>>
>>50087450
The closest would be rolling fucking awesomely and go Paladin with tavern brawler enough to have top tier Str (for unarmed attacks and damage) and top tier Dex (for light armor defense) while still having decent Con and Cha.

Dipping on Paladin as a non-caster class is literally retarded, doing so as a monk is tripple retarded because stat requirements.
>>
>>50087450
>being as good with unarmed attacks as other classes are with weapons
Arguable, monk's are still outdamaged by everybody else that uses weapons
>>
>>50084137
Almost anything worthwhile the Battlemaster can do the Paladin gets with spells with the addition of extra fun shit that the spells give you.
>>
>>50087527
Maybe one day they'll realize that weapons and armor exist for a reason and aren't just a fashion choice.
>>
>>50084276
Why not? Why are you trying to hold the green Slaad back? #SLM
>>
>>50084782
Where'd you get that heavy armor proficiency, boss?
>>
>>50087276
Oh, I'm sorry. Per short rest. For one round. So, a shitty single cast Faerie Fire that doesn't even last.

I stand by my statement. It's hardly powerful. It also requires you to be in melee range.
>>
>>50087892
profiency? why? that's useless, I just wear it
>>
>>50087955
READ AGAIN
Here >>50082076, read under pack tactics you fucking mongoloid , then fellate a shotgun
>>
>>50087956
If you do that you get disadvantage on every attack roll, saving throw, and ability check and you can't cast spells.

In the rules.
>>
File: read nigga.jpg (320KB, 500x572px) Image search: [Google]
read nigga.jpg
320KB, 500x572px
>>50087956
>If you wear armour that you lack proficiency with, you have disadvantage on any ability check, saving throw, or attack roll that involves Strength or Dexterity, and you can't cast spells.
Enjoy doing nothing in any fight ever
>>
>>50087995
>>50088050
Yeah, I know, and? I'm not a powergaming munchkin like you
>>
File: 4chan.jpg (72KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
4chan.jpg
72KB, 600x450px
>>50088066
... Are you saying that you deliberately made a character who contributes nothing to your group whatsoever?
>>
>>50088066
Weak

Instead of continuing to make an ass of yourself how about you stop posting
>>
>>50087450
I would say to dip 3 levels in Paladin for spells, smites, and Oath, and go the rest of the way Radiant Fist monk
>>
>>50088364
I actually would do the opposite, go dip 2-3 on Monk and rest on Paladin, smite is shit when you can only do it 2-3 times a day.
>>
>>50088399
Yeah, but if you don't go far enough into monk you won't get bigger fist dice.
>>
>>50088759
At 11th paladin level you add +1d8 to all your mlee attacks, 1d4+1d8>1d10
>>
>>50088842
Oh, well then yeah. Alternate Paladin and Monk for the first few levels until you've got Radiant Fist and Oath, then go straight Paladin.
>>
>>50088874
Is not optimal, it needs pretty decent stats (you'll suffer if it's point buy) but it's playable. It's also unarmored only, you can't wear light armor like before. Maybe your Gm is nice and throws a bone at you.
Thread posts: 379
Thread images: 42

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.